Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 21, 2019 7:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, we got more content from the real life outside world this episode. They even showed a bit of New York with the SAO Underworld beta test. Other familiar characters like Yue and Liz are also shown again.

As for the battles in the virtual world, the knights seems to be employing a straightforward strategy to further their movements. Seems more like a buildup episode. The part with the beta test was the most interesting part though.
Dec 21, 2019 7:28 AM

Nov 2007
More memory of admin lady. Sense of death?

"Sub"? Title in OP also changing.

Kouhai girl tending main guy. Morning time already.

Connecting w. wires and going past the big hole, but it's too far. Some of them succeeded.

Time for real and underworld flow the same now?

English conversation.

Yui sensing danger and called for help, for gun girl and cousin girl.

Another section notifying about that and about these two girls.

More detail by Yui to more comrades. Convert to prevent us army to steal accounts? but its dangerous. Most of second game players feeling inferior to first game survivors, though. Wow, the speech. I'm curious about a character w. a fairy in there (seeing tweets which mentioning that it might be related to Ordinale Scale).

Enemies already got in first, though.

One more ep.
tsubasaloverDec 21, 2019 8:35 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 21, 2019 9:04 AM

Aug 2013
I wanted to see the girls trade information about Kirito.

It was good seeing all those characters from the previous seasons. Lisbeth trying her hard to get others to join them.

That mysterious character at the end with the fairy. I wonder who that is.

Dec 21, 2019 9:09 AM

Feb 2019
War never changes:https://imgur.com/a/vx33Nts

The pain in Isakhan's eyes was heartbreaking to see. Imagine watching your friends wall to their deaths like that.

Another week, another masterful episode of SAO: WOU. Lisbeth's speech with Unlasting playing over it gave me absolute goosebumps and brought tears to my eyes. The virtual world can be just as real as the "real" world. What makes it real are the friends you make and the bonds you create.

Will definitely be sad to see SAO go on break after this, but I know the last episode will make it all worth it.

Volume 23 of the LN came in a couple of days ago, pre ordered the first Blu Ray of WOU which comes out on Christmas, great week for SAO.

Alicization is exploding.
Marinate1016Dec 21, 2019 9:17 AM
Dec 21, 2019 9:12 AM

May 2016
What a fabulous speech I even teared up a bit... hats down great episode 5/5
Dec 21, 2019 9:14 AM

Jun 2012
Best episode of the season! Loved Lisbeth's speech.
Dec 21, 2019 9:16 AM
Sep 2013
That Lisbeth speech got me for good. I'm teary right now.
Dec 21, 2019 9:16 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So great episode, they're all determined to save Kirito and Asuna ! Lisbeth was too awesome
Dec 21, 2019 9:18 AM

Jun 2019
That Liz speech's at the end was like a love letter to the real fans of this franchise, really made me shiver when I hear.
Dec 21, 2019 9:20 AM

Dec 2014
Good episode but I think I've mentioned it before, they just seem to be ignoring all real world implications in favor of making the plot seem more serious with higher stakes.

First of all, the biggest issue I have with this entire scenario is that, no military network is this unprotected, it's already pretty bullshit that the opposing soldiers were able to just walk in and access accounts like it was nothing. To add on to this, how am I expected to believe that they are just able to expose things on a private not to mention isolated military network to the public so easily? We don't even have to talk about all the issues with server infrastructure and even latency for cross continent play, not to mention the fact that this was probably a locally run simulation that should technically not be accessible to anyone outside the local network.
Where are the public gonna get the fluctlight machines unless for some reason, it's 'just compatible' with nerve gear now?

The whole Data Conversion thing was also overly plot convenient, the data is probably backed up. No one is gonna lose anything in relation to data, the only real stake they had there was about having no pain suppression. The whole thing was just for Liz to make the big emotional speech, don't get me wrong, it was great but thinking about it, she was making a big deal of a 'problem' that isn't really a 'problem'.

The real world sequences have always been the weakest aspects of the story in this season, I doubt there's anything that can be done about it at this point though. I enjoy this show but the non-underworld stuff always makes me bat an eye.
Dec 21, 2019 9:22 AM

Jan 2009
lol holy shit World War 3 between America and Japan happening in a computer video game (cyber war at its highest level)
Dec 21, 2019 9:27 AM

Jan 2019
the hype is real!!
Will they release the next one on the 28th or will there be a break because Christmas?
Dec 21, 2019 9:30 AM

Mar 2015
worst episode for me
Dec 21, 2019 9:33 AM

Oct 2019
Great episode, I love more and more this arc of sao.
Dec 21, 2019 9:42 AM

Jun 2017
Liz's speech is proof that sometimes, watching can be better than reading. Terrific scene and love that cameo at the end... Hopeful Chant and Cordial Chords OVA when????????????????????
Signature.
Dec 21, 2019 9:43 AM

Feb 2018
I really like how it went back to "The only way to log out is to die" and "There is possibility of character lost" like "You die in game, you die in real life" as their virtual life has the same value that real life for them (assuming from Liz speech). Can't forget about how people that sign in open beta will kill people (fluctlights) for real. I love how everything is connected to the idea of SAO - everything is executed really nice (not perfect or something like this) but it's impossible for me to not appreciate this.

To sum up this episode I could say - WEEBS UNITE!
Dec 21, 2019 9:45 AM
Nov 2019
Matsuoka-kun will be hyped for this episode (笑)
Dec 21, 2019 9:47 AM

Oct 2017
Holy damn the gang's gonna come together to save the people in underworld, hype!! That speech was great and sigh just one episode left.
MegamiRemDec 21, 2019 9:54 AM
Dec 21, 2019 9:47 AM
Sep 2019
trwygon said:
the hype is real!!
Will they release the next one on the 28th or will there be a break because Christmas?
they will release the last episode next week they tweeted it out few minutes ago in their official twitter account.
Dec 21, 2019 9:48 AM
Sep 2013
Lelouch0202 said:
Good episode but I think I've mentioned it before, they just seem to be ignoring all real world implications in favor of making the plot seem more serious with higher stakes.

First of all, the biggest issue I have with this entire scenario is that, no military network is this unprotected, it's already pretty bullshit that the opposing soldiers were able to just walk in and access accounts like it was nothing. To add on to this, how am I expected to believe that they are just able to expose things on a private not to mention isolated military network to the public so easily? We don't even have to talk about all the issues with server infrastructure and even latency for cross continent play, not to mention the fact that this was probably a locally run simulation that should technically not be accessible to anyone outside the local network.
Where are the public gonna get the fluctlight machines unless for some reason, it's 'just compatible' with nerve gear now?

The whole Data Conversion thing was also overly plot convenient, the data is probably backed up. No one is gonna lose anything in relation to data, the only real stake they had there was about having no pain suppression. The whole thing was just for Liz to make the big emotional speech, don't get me wrong, it was great but thinking about it, she was making a big deal of a 'problem' that isn't really a 'problem'.

The real world sequences have always been the weakest aspects of the story in this season, I doubt there's anything that can be done about it at this point though. I enjoy this show but the non-underworld stuff always makes me bat an eye.

This is quite logical and the only logical answer that I can give is probably because there is some intruder since the creation of the system itself (mentioned in previous episode) hence the unprotected admin account on the Dark Side, and since this one was also created with The Seed (which I dont know whether it connected with each other or no,heck I haven't even touch the thing on whether you can cheat on the system by grinding on a leveling-friendly game then convert to a game that's more difficult to level up, this just shows some other plot hole) the base character stats should be convert-able and also server setup should be an easy one since it's an open source program. The data loss one.. I'm not really sure. Which server even holds all the data so that they can be transferred so easily? Plot-convenient, indeed, I guess.

But still, great speech, indeed, I love it.
Dec 21, 2019 9:49 AM

Nov 2016
Oh damn, shit just got real.

Some issues whether the whole scenario would be feasible like portrayed here or not aside, I really loved the speech at the end.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 21, 2019 10:00 AM

Jul 2019
Amazing episode... But "For Me", they have built up so much... I am afraid how it's gonna tie up in just a single episode...

And Yeah!! HYPE IS REAL!!
Dec 21, 2019 10:04 AM

Jan 2019
Pastaninja69 said:
trwygon said:
the hype is real!!
they will release the last episode next week they tweeted it out few minutes ago in their official twitter account.

Yay, thank you :))
Dec 21, 2019 10:09 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
If anything the severing of the ropes show fully that this struggle is a real war and not a mere struggle. Despite the dire situation its nice to see Sinon and the team again. The thought that the US military will use Alice and her fellow fluclights as unmanned weapons though really is distasteful. Its interesting in that the true purpose of the seed as designed by Kayaba was to help create a being that represents all the goodness that comes from vrmmos. Overall a strong ep that while showing how heartless Gabriel was also served to show the next stage of the war as it transitions from a localised struggle to a much larger war as it draws in players from both the US and Japan. Liz's speech though while certainly a grim one was also a powerful one that showed the depths of her determination to both help her friends and at the same time confront the past of being a sao survivor itself a stigma to MMO players within ALO. At the same time the insight into how society see's VRMMO players was also insightful. Kudo's to Liz's seiyuu though as Ayahi's delivery of her lines were superb which when combined with her emotions made her speech that much more powerful. The teams bow as they requested help from the ALO players was also a powerful gesture that reflected both humility and the desperate situation a fact that is shown in the last minutes as the yanks arrive.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 2016
This game has ridiculous bugs if new accounts can be created en masse like this and Rath hasn't done anything to prevent it. I would forcefully log them all out, delete their accounts and lock account creation with several layers of protection or even temporarily delete account creation data, after transfering them in an air plug.

Jun 2017
viniciust48 said:
That Liz speech's at the end was like a love letter to the real fans of this franchise, really made me shiver when I hear.

This, it's what SAO is about. SAO isn't a shounen, it's not about Kirito dual wielding and him Asuna showing off their combat abilities, it's about living in the virtual world and being in tune with it. It's about considering it your reality.
Signature.
Dec 21, 2019 10:12 AM
Feb 2009
holy hype for last episode next week time to wake up Kirito lol
Dec 21, 2019 10:15 AM
Dec 2019
So who's the purple dressed guy with the purple pixie at the end of Lisbeth's speech?
Dec 21, 2019 10:16 AM

Mar 2018
Woah that was a great episode right there.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Dec 21, 2019 10:36 AM

Sep 2015
dieshl said:
So who's the purple dressed guy with the purple pixie at the end of Lisbeth's speech?

Yuna and Eiji from Ordinale Scale movie.
Dec 21, 2019 10:38 AM

Feb 2015
Lelouch0202 said:

+1 to pretty much all of this. Most of the emotionally charged stuff this episode made me scoff or cringe, be it Liz's speech or the Champion's whinging. These are the kinds of things I'd laugh hysterically at if I listened to them in person. The stakes aren't realistic or well done enough to make such speeches viable. They're forced as all hell. Especially with these cliche nay sayers spouting out their unironic garbage of "you think you're better than us".

I can't say I'm privvy to the security measures of any government or military based network, and yea, all kinds of governments have had embarrassing security breaches, but I highly, highly doubt a closed network like this could be so fragrantly abused, especially when the staff are aware it's happening. Putting aside the account creation / access, normal people connecting, even with the proper accounts, seems like absolute bullshit. Hell, I know of grocery stores that require their employees to use custom VPNs to login, in tandem with their account credentials. Somehow exporting or creating the software necessary to just connect to the underworld, let alone even better, run and interact with it is top tier bullshit. Not to mention, I have to believe that there are hardware requirements that would prevent all of this. There's no way a normal gamer PC, even with all the necessary software can just connect to such a network.

Like I get back in the days of no internet, when science fiction was completely made up with effectively no basis in reality, and that some of the SAO source material is pretty old, but this is just lazy. Go to your local college, speak to professors, explore specialized forums, put in a fucking effort to actually getting some decent knowledge when writing on real things. I get that it's just an anime and LN, but come on, it's not that hard to figure out just how BS this is, and you certainly don't get to complain about it when people notice the flaws with your story when you're incorrectly incorporating the real word.
Dec 21, 2019 10:46 AM

Sep 2015
People who in your life have played MMORPG talking about MMORPG. Some know why the FFXIV community is considered the best in the market? Because for many it is their second life and the method to overcome their problems, it is not a simple game it is a second life and as such they give their best to behave as civilized people. I met my girlfriend in an MMORPG and we overcome our problems, we created a family that to this day endures among friends.

That many here have zero social skills does not make the speech stupid, the speech is a reality for many MMORPG players who consider these more than just a game, where friendships, love affairs, etc.

https://www.runaroundnet.com/2019/03/creating-and-leading-top-ffxiv-guild.html
Dec 21, 2019 10:53 AM
Aug 2016
dieshl said:
Leo said:
I wanted to see the girls trade information about Kirito.
It was good seeing all those characters from the previous seasons. Lisbeth trying her hard to get others to join them.
That mysterious character at the end with the fairy. I wonder who that is.

To me it looked like the Oberon account. The server admin for Alfhime online.
But i don't know who might control that account / character.

Edit: I looked again at the entering scene + end scene and it doesn't look like Oberon.
cristiano1200Dec 21, 2019 10:57 AM
Dec 21, 2019 10:55 AM
May 2017
The bloody long speech is cringe and boring
Dec 21, 2019 11:03 AM

Mar 2015
Rytakahashi09 said:

i didn't like it also, Alicization for me was great because it wasn't like the other seasons and the characters here were the best ones so far with the better development and story, it was like SAO but a different SAO anime.
I was enjoying the war between the Human Empire and the Dark Territory, but i think it was unnecessary to bring all the other characters to the middle of the war (like Leafa, Sinon and all the other secondary characters),
same thing with the Dark Territory, it was unnecessary for them to bring other people from the real world.

Just wanted the characters from the Underworld to keep shining as protagonists, and now they will be in the shadow of the old ones.

Its just my opinion btw
GuifoliveiraaDec 21, 2019 11:08 AM
Dec 21, 2019 11:04 AM

Mar 2013
For everyone saying the security system is garbage & unbelievable, you do know this was written (stating) almost 10yrs ago, right? He's making up new tech as he's going along. Even if he does research for his writings I'm pretty sure you won't find much on govt proprietary UI/OS. You can't move the story forward if it's 100% authentic to how it would be handled in the real world.

Also, a little thing called the suspension of disbelief.
Dec 21, 2019 11:07 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Rytakahashi09 said:
Feel the same way. I'd really been enjoying this season but the last 2 episodes have been a tad disappointing in my opinion.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 21, 2019 11:07 AM
Nov 2017
is that mysterious purple guy at the end yuna and eiji from ordinal scale?
Dec 21, 2019 11:15 AM

Mar 2013
Guifnogueira said:
Rytakahashi09 said:

i didn't like it also, Alicization for me was great because it wasn't like the other seasons and the characters here were the best ones so far with the better development and story, it was like SAO but a different SAO anime.
I was enjoying the war between the Human Empire and the Dark Territory, but i think it was unnecessary to bring all the other characters to the middle of the war (like Leafa, Sinon and all the other secondary characters),
same thing with the Dark Territory, it was unnecessary for them to bring other people from the real world.

Just wanted the characters from the Underworld to keep shining as protagonists, and now they will be in the shadow of the old ones.

Its just my opinion btw

I agree with you. Notice how much better the series is by sidelining Kirito? I feel like bringing up SAO survivors, AFO players, & actually any old characters outside of Asuna (Not that I'm an Asuna fan, but bringing her in is germane to the sidelining of Kirito) was a step backwards.
Dec 21, 2019 11:16 AM

Jul 2014
So many plotholes, wow
Dec 21, 2019 11:33 AM
Dec 2019
I might just be dumb af, but can anyone tell me who the guy and pixie at the end of the episode are? It seems people know them and I'm probably not figuring it out.
Dec 21, 2019 11:35 AM

Feb 2013
TrueDragonPrince said:
This game has ridiculous bugs if new accounts can be created en masse like this and Rath hasn't done anything to prevent it. I would forcefully log them all out, delete their accounts and lock account creation with several layers of protection or even temporarily delete account creation data, after transfering them in an air plug.

Underworld isn't a game, it's a virtual world simulation. It just has the seed which is why they are able to use it with the Amusphere with the patch they put into the seed, but unlike people who uses the STL, they are seeing everything like a game, unlike the people who are seeing it as if it's real on the STL.

Kuroimi said:
So many plotholes, wow

Whoa, you created an account just for that
Dec 21, 2019 11:49 AM

Feb 2013
Tharem000 said:
I might just be dumb af, but can anyone tell me who the guy and pixie at the end of the episode are? It seems people know them and I'm probably not figuring it out.

They are Eiji and Yunna, both from Ordinal scale. The characters are canon much like the movie, which we already could see it in Alicization when there was things being showed that were from the movie. And, we saw the movie characters into the opening for the first alicization.
Dec 21, 2019 11:50 AM

Feb 2013
broodo said:
For everyone saying the security system is garbage & unbelievable, you do know this was written (stating) almost 10yrs ago, right? He's making up new tech as he's going along. Even if he does research for his writings I'm pretty sure you won't find much on govt proprietary UI/OS. You can't move the story forward if it's 100% authentic to how it would be handled in the real world.

Also, a little thing called the suspension of disbelief.

Yup, Alicization was written in 2005 to 2008. While SAO began in Aincrad in 2001 and was published on 2002.
Dec 21, 2019 11:54 AM
Jul 2018
Why does the Human Empire really need support? The Integrity Knights are overpowered anyway. In no episode was the Dark Territory dangerous, so far they have been rescued by Deus Ex Machina, either Asuna, Alice or later a certain person.
Lisbeth's speech annoyed me a little, I guess she said the word "Underworld" six times. It is unclear to me that the ALO players help despite these problems. Who wants to be trapped in a game / simulation? No argument could speak for it, except for plot reasons
Dec 21, 2019 11:54 AM

Nov 2019
This was the best episode of Sao character-wise focussing the older Sao characters. Man, the speech wasn't unrealistic at all. I can understand the feeling of hardcore gamers cuz I myself am an anime weeb. Lol
And if someone mocks us and uses our love for their benefit, we'll feel bad as well. Really felt the emotions and some nostalgia as well from my younger weeb days. XD
5/5 from me.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Dec 21, 2019 11:55 AM

Sep 2013
Wasn't AmuSphere suppose to be able to automatically logging out the user if it's detect something's wrong with the user's body (increased heart rate for example)? It was explained at the GGO arc and that's why Kirito told Sinon to stay calm etc.

I mean with a suppose to be an extraordinary pain your heart rate most likely to increase (i use google translate for this, sorry if it's confusing) which mean you're suppose to be automatically got logged out by the AmuSphere safety protocol right?

Or is it for plot sake they change it like that?
"... Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."
Dec 21, 2019 12:01 PM

Dec 2017
Nayout said:
dieshl said:

Yuna and Eiji from Ordinale Scale movie.

Wow!
Now I'm hyped
I enjoy lightskyblue

Dec 21, 2019 12:02 PM

Nov 2019
Caltsio said:
Wasn't AmuSphere suppose to be able to automatically logging out the user if it's detect something's wrong with the user's body (increased heart rate for example)? It was explained at the GGO arc and that's why Kirito told Sinon to stay calm etc.

I mean with a suppose to be an extraordinary pain your heart rate most likely to increase (i use google translate for this, sorry if it's confusing) which mean you're suppose to be automatically got logged out by the AmuSphere safety protocol right?

Or is it for plot sake they change it like that?

I think that's because it's not a game and just a simulation. And if you're willingly entering a simulation run by a company, the amusphere will lose its functioning and the company that the simulation runs will hold the ultimate power and since it has rules that a person has to die to log out, that's it.

Just like how some programs are superior which suppress the inferior programs. Here the rath program is more superior than the amusphere program.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Dec 21, 2019 12:09 PM

Jul 2014
Nemesis16 said:
TrueDragonPrince said:

Underworld isn't a game, it's a virtual world simulation. It just has the seed which is why they are able to use it with the Amusphere with the patch they put into the seed, but unlike people who uses the STL, they are seeing everything like a game, unlike the people who are seeing it as if it's real on the STL.

Kuroimi said:
So many plotholes, wow

Whoa, you created an account just for that

I'm just a lurker, this account is created since 2014, might as well post a comment one day
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2019

261 by futurelemon »»
Apr 15, 9:24 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

193 by RicFie »»
Apr 13, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Favorite SAO couple? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 17, 10:24 AM

» why do people like alice? ( 1 2 )

JoshMan - Oct 23, 2019

72 by DiamSilver »»
Feb 5, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2019

160 by dilaxd »»
Jan 17, 1:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.