Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 28, 2019 7:19 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh, I definitely got the impression of an actual season's finale in this.

Big battles, war cries, and major players in the war are featured. Apparently, those from the beta test from the real world also got involved. For what's worth, this episode gave the feeling that the war has gotten out of control. A lot of feelings were poured into this episode. They even had a scene of Asuna's arm blown off damn.

Anyways, next season should be a hell of a ride if this is the momentum it's going to ride off from.

Dec 28, 2019 7:21 AM

Aug 2017
SAO: Alicization - War of Underworld is the one the best anime from 2019. I'm glad how SAO improved since S3 and I look forward to the last part of Alicization next year. 9/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 28, 2019 7:21 AM

Feb 2018
Apparently sinon can into to underworld. This oath was very sadistic, rip Asuna's hand but it looks like it was successfully cured.

SyureriaDec 28, 2019 3:00 PM
Dec 28, 2019 7:23 AM

Nov 2007
Deleting some, but she's already in limit.

The enemy team, thinking they are not relevant anymore, decided to cooperate with them.

Alice got irritated and got ruthless, and got caught by the real enemy.

After hearing what would happen, he still decided to be on their side.

The one who went into the hole is awake in real world. He remembered seeing Asuna in the world, and realized main guy might be in the world, so he decides to go back there.

Sawashiro-san's character enters.

"The Last Season" on April 2020, and next ep. (first ep. of next season) is "Underworld Taisen"
tsubasaloverDec 28, 2019 6:19 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 28, 2019 7:42 AM
Jul 2018
Of course, all Americans are in love cutting limbs and seeing blood flow, that's extreme stereotype. Even the almost 100k players in Underworld are irrelevant for the Human Empire, Asuna can use their almost equal admin rights and although the time is the same to the real world, Sinon appears exactly where the Human Empire is in danger. So twice Deus Ex Machina just makes this episode boring and all this bloodshed is unnecessary. It's just my opinion. But in previous seasons or novels there was no Deus Ex Machina.
Dec 28, 2019 7:43 AM

Jun 2017
Two things, weird place to end the cour and for the love of all that is holy, STOP GIVING GABE THESE OVER-THE-TOP FACIAL EXPRESSIONS, they look silly and you can say are a bit out of character. Gabe is too cool for school for that.
Other than that great episode as usual. Can't wait for the end.
Signature.
Dec 28, 2019 8:07 AM

Sep 2015
Darikan said:
Of course, all Americans are in love cutting limbs and seeing blood flow, that's extreme stereotype. Even the almost 100k players in Underworld are irrelevant for the Human Empire, Asuna can use their almost equal admin rights and although the time is the same to the real world, Sinon appears exactly where the Human Empire is in danger. So twice Deus Ex Machina just makes this episode boring and all this bloodshed is unnecessary. It's just my opinion. But in previous seasons or novels there was no Deus Ex Machina.

"Deus Ex Machina "
?????????
Dec 28, 2019 8:23 AM

Jul 2014
These guys did Leafa dirty tho, didnt both Leafa and Sinon enter simultaneously? Why was Sinon the only one we see in the end! Anyways Sinon banging that look, Asuna got real world backup now.

It was a fair season, see ya'll on april 2020.
5/10
Dec 28, 2019 8:38 AM

Feb 2013
Darikan said:

There's no such thing as admin rights as only Quinella had it, it's just supper accounts and in the case of Asuna she has limits as everytime she uses her special power, she will feel much pain, which is why she can only use it few times.

And americans are in love with it because there was never a violent game on VRMMORPG as none of them in any place of the world have blood. So they are thinking that for the first time they have a VRMMOGP game with this aspect like it had in normal games in the past.
brzzcodeDec 28, 2019 8:41 AM
Dec 28, 2019 8:48 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
This season was one of the best from SAO, way better than the first alicization, it was great
Dec 28, 2019 8:59 AM

Mar 2018
So... This season is the best one out of them all and cannot wait for Part 2!
Everyone could've known that we would get a cliffhanger, so that's that.

Aaaaaand, suddenly Sinon!

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Dec 28, 2019 9:01 AM

Jun 2019
Although the direction was average, for much part of the episode, Sinon's entrance at the end was fucking epic. I'm already extremely hyped for the second cour.
Dec 28, 2019 9:04 AM

Aug 2013
That Gabriel Miller guy always has a creepy smile.

Best girl Sinon makes a badass appearance. Asuna now has a reliable ally. But what about Leafa???

9/10. I'm looking forward to season 2 on Apr, 2020.

Dec 28, 2019 9:07 AM

Apr 2016
Amazing animation , great OST.. Great adaptation. Looking forward to April to see the last part of Alicization adapted. 11 episodes for that 1 volume and a little to adapt
Final score 10/10

Dec 28, 2019 9:10 AM

May 2018
Once again, the animations are god tier.

Looking forward for the next part, Spring 2020 will be a good season.

Dec 28, 2019 9:16 AM

Feb 2019
Congrats to A-1 for an absolutely masterful adaptation, they have easily made this the best installation of Sword Art Online with absolutely gorgeous visuals, sound design, music and animation. A break is well deserved and I can't wait to see the final 11 episodes. and more of best girl Alice.

This installation has improved upon all of the major complaints that SAO haters have had to say for years. No Kirito, stakes, good development, etc and at the core of everything it's tackled the main point of SAO, showing just how blurry the line between reality and the virtual world is. They're both just as real.

Sinon's arrival was simply beautiful and gave me goosebumps. Well, it's been an amazing 12 weeks, see you all in Spring. Reminder that volume 18 which is the last of Alicization will be released in English next month and Vol 23, the second of Unital Ring came out this month.

For the haters who instantly review bombed the season when it dropped, at this point if you don't like SAO, just don't watch it. It's been 7 years, don't torture yourself watching something you don't enjoy just for internet points. I promise you it's ok.

Alicization is lasting.
Dec 28, 2019 9:18 AM

Oct 2017
Hell yeah!! An episode full of action and ofc this ends with a cliffhanger. But good thing Sinon is here to help and probably the rest of the gang too.

Man this entire season was totally amazing, really hyped for the last part. Gotta wait till april to watch it, it's gonna be a really long wait.
Dec 28, 2019 9:18 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The arrival of the yanks sure served to mess up the battle big time by introducing a new dimension to the war. The reactions of the yanks though sure was unsettling. But proved to be the perfect fuel for Asuna's rage. Its nice to see the leader of the Pug's realise that Gabriel was only using them with his determination to rebel against him being cemented well in his plucking and crushing of his eye seal. Its also nice to see him being so open minded as well in his desire to save his friends while being creative in obeying orders from vecta. Its funny seeing Sheyta fight alongside her onetime opponent in the breach though. The connection that they made back then sure had an interesting effect. Though the enemy's second wave was vast they sure proved to be easy prey for Sinon's entry on to the field. Sinon's arrival while majestic sure proved to be a nice boon for Asuna both physically and mentally in the midst of this brutal war. An excellent action packed finale that while introducing a new brutal phase to the war via the entrance of the yanks also equalised it via the rebel of the pugs and the entrance of Sinon to the field. Can't wait to see the next phase of the war next spring. Looks like both sides still have plenty of surprises to reveal for the war.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2019 9:31 AM

Jan 2009
for a final episode this is kinda weak in sakuga except the last scene when Sinon shows up

see you all in April
Dec 28, 2019 9:32 AM

Aug 2015
Sinon's entrance made me cry lol, and I don't even like that character xD
Dec 28, 2019 9:33 AM
Jul 2018
Nemesis16 said:
Darikan said:

There's no such thing as admin rights as only Quinella had it, it's just supper accounts and in the case of Asuna she has limits as everytime she uses her special power, she will feel much pain, which is why she can only use it few times.

And americans are in love with it because there was never a violent game on VRMMORPG as none of them in any place of the world have blood. So they are thinking that for the first time they have a VRMMOGP game with this aspect like it had in normal games in the past.

You don't need to explain that to me, I already know because of the novels. That's why I wrote "almost", because changing the landscape is a massive intervention in the simulation. It would have been interesting (like the Pugilists Guild) to have had a conflict between Americans (like Violence) vs Americans (like the World). I would find it exciting to explore the world a bit. Don't forget that is just my opinion.
Dec 28, 2019 9:34 AM

Feb 2013
Darikan said:
Nemesis16 said:

You don't need to explain that to me, I already know because of the novels. That's why I wrote "almost", because changing the landscape is a massive intervention in the simulation. It would have been interesting (like the Pugilists Guild) to have had a conflict between Americans (like Violence) vs Americans (like the World). I would find it exciting to explore the world a bit. Don't forget that is just my opinion.

Ah, fair enough. I thought you just didn't know. :)
Dec 28, 2019 9:38 AM
Feb 2009
holy fck Shinon comin thru My man Kirito need to wake up he missing out big time and so hype for next season in April
Dec 28, 2019 9:42 AM

Apr 2017
deg said:
for a final episode this is kinda weak in sakuga except the last scene when Sinon shows up

see you all in April

I mean, there was a good amount of sakuga, if u look at it there was barely still shots when they were fighting those soldiers, which is kinda good in a production not so healthy, unfortunately. Ye there was nothing out of this world but if we take each sakuga moment, it was a good amount. The best cut was obviously the Sinon one. (That guy throwing out the rock and the champion jump was pretty good as well.)
This wasn't really a final episode, besides the Sinon entrance and Gabriel taking Alice, it was a pretty common one, but they had to split cour here, and I'm glad they did, otherwise would become like the 1º season 2º part.
KaiserFGODec 28, 2019 9:47 AM
Dec 28, 2019 9:44 AM
Nov 2019
The only thing i hate in this season is Gabriel's face.
it made him look like rapey villains.
Dec 28, 2019 9:47 AM

Mar 2018
tsubasalover said:

The enemy team, thinking they are not relevant anymore, decided to cooperate with them.

The one who went into the hole is awake in real world. He realized about Asuna is also in the world, and he decides to go back there.

"The Last Season" on April 2020, and next ep. (first ep. of next season) is "Underworld Taisen"
the last season as in concluding the series or the last season of Alicization
Dec 28, 2019 9:48 AM

Mar 2018
This was a really solid ep but other than that, I didn't care about what was happening for most of the runtime. With this ep, might upgrade my score to a 4 instead of a 3
Dec 28, 2019 9:53 AM

Feb 2013
Bryxn said:
tsubasalover said:

The one who went into the hole is awake in real world. He realized about Asuna is also in the world, and he decides to go back there.

the last season as in concluding the series or the last season of Alicization

Last season as in concluding Alicization. The first actual arc of the LN that isn't adapted from what Kawahara wrote before the light novels is called Unital Ring and began last year on the light novels.
Dec 28, 2019 9:55 AM

May 2018
And the harem finally assemble. Can't wait for next season. So hype. Easily the best arc of SAO.
Dec 28, 2019 9:55 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Aside from the average-ish directing, this was a pretty good finale episode in all honesty.

What a timely return for Sinon and I just loved the whole scene there, major props to A-1 Pictures for the top-tier animation too! Sinon's monologue to top it off, great stuff! Kind of an odd spot to sign off with though, I've to say. Need to take care of 20,000 players (and save Renly too in the process)? No problems, just leave it to Shion lol.

Awesome final few moments after the ED too, Vassago is definitely up to no good. And that slow-mo like effect to get that across was perfect too! SAO definitely takes the cake for cliffhangers of the year xD.

Mad respect to Iskahn as well going for that deal and then going as far as to stall some time for the Human Empire to chase after Gabriel. Really liked the little moment between him and Scheta too, can't wait to see more of them!

Asuna seems to have used up all her godly attacks. Given how bad the aftereffect of the second strike was, I was expecting her to be down and out by the third but good thing that wasn't the case. Especially more so now that Alice has been captured.

Definitely curious to see how things will play out next!

Overall, this has been a really good addition to the illustrious SAO franchise but sadly it felt like a Season catered to the light novel readers with the choppy direction, inconsistent pacing and large exclusions in particular. A few of the character deaths for instance hardly fazed me, and I would often get a better image after watching Foxen Anime's weekly analysis vids. Moreover, I feel like they tramped on Alice's development with the introduction of Asuna into the Underworld which is a darn pity considering how that was a real highlight during the first half. And I won't even get started on the real world side of things because to be honest they were off on a few bits I felt.

Anyway, that aside, the Animation has been breathtaking and the Sound Department equally fabulous! Albeit this episode where the ost usage felt a little off. "unlasting" is easily one of my favourite ED themes of the year and "Resolution" my favourite SAO Aliciazation Op to date. Some of the fight scenes lacked a grace of sakuga quite admittedly but it was still awesome without it!

As such, I'll be giving this season a solid 7.40/10, a nod away from an 8.

Spring 2020 is going to be big, yo~
_MushiRock11_Dec 28, 2019 10:01 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 28, 2019 9:56 AM

Nov 2016
People always shit on A-1 yet when it comes to the production value they were up there this season.

Overall easily my favorite SAO part. Not having Kirito around was definitely a blessing and the war as whole offered some of the best moments of the franchise.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 28, 2019 10:00 AM
Sep 2019
Dec 28, 2019 10:02 AM

Feb 2011
This SAO season is kinda fucking bullshit ngl
Author: so how the fuck am i going to reintroduce the old cast in the story at this point
Author: OH THAT'S RIGHT ! I COULD GIVE THEM ALL INCREDIBLY OVERPOWERED ACCOUNTS I HAVE PULLED OUT OF MY ASS AND MAKE THEM SKIP ANY SORT OF DEVELOPMENT OR PROGRESSION. BRILLIANT !!
Dec 28, 2019 10:02 AM

Jan 2017
That was plain stupid.... Alice is the reason of this whole "virtual" war, so yeah let her go follow and fight the ONE OP AF GUY that what to bring her to THAT ONE specific location to "kill her". GG EZ NOOBS!

As always SAO plot is falling apart just before something important will happen. Epic entry of Sinon was the only good part of this last episode (even if she pops just like that out of the author's ass with super/mega OP account).

AND FFS can someone slap in face AFK Kirito?

Overall 6/10 for this 3th act with included +1 for the animation and another +1 for an outstanding ED song.

PS.

Can we change Kirito status on the main page of War of Underworld from "Main" to "Supporting" or "Background" character?
Dudi4PoLFrDec 28, 2019 10:14 AM
Dec 28, 2019 10:03 AM
Feb 2019
9/10

See you guys in April
Dec 28, 2019 10:11 AM

Sep 2016
This might be an unpopular opinion but I’ve always loved SAO. I never thought it was “shit” through any of the seasons at all. What I have to say though is that this season was probably the best SAO season to date other than the original. I don’t like how they ended it though because it wasn’t a cliffhanger or anything of the sort. Yes the battles were good and all but there wasn’t that defining moment of ending. Like yeah Sinon is now in the underworld and other OG’s are going to show up but there was no end/ cliffhanger. It’s almost like they could just continue it next week. This is why I hate the constraint of 12 episode seasons. Just make it 24 eps ffs xD.
Dec 28, 2019 10:17 AM

Dec 2014
Decent episode and a good finale.

I was not expecting the fight scene with Asuna's arm being cut off, though I am glad it was restored. That said, I kinda expected Asuna to demolish those red soldiers like Alice.

Final scene with Sinon appearing was great.

Alicization is definitely the best season of SAO till date, I have my issues with it. Mostly regarding the real world side of the story but I still do enjoy the series. I'll see you all in spring I suppose.
7/10
Dec 28, 2019 10:18 AM

Nov 2019
Hands down! Best anime episode of fall 2019. What a way to end a season! Still my hands are numb of excitement. This season made me love SAO so much that I started defending it. Lol
Not gonna deduct anything!
Second entry into my freaking 10/10 club this year after AoT season 3 part 2.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Dec 28, 2019 10:25 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I don't know if it was the low expectations, but I've enjoyed this iteration of SAO much more than any other. The lack of Kirito shouneing the day away? Perhaps, but in any case I look forward to what happens next.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 28, 2019 10:44 AM

Jun 2017
DiabolicNick said:
This might be an unpopular opinion but I’ve always loved SAO. I never thought it was “shit” through any of the seasons at all. What I have to say though is that this season was probably the best SAO season to date other than the original. I don’t like how they ended it though because it wasn’t a cliffhanger or anything of the sort. Yes the battles were good and all but there wasn’t that defining moment of ending. Like yeah Sinon is now in the underworld and other OG’s are going to show up but there was no end/ cliffhanger. It’s almost like they could just continue it next week. This is why I hate the constraint of 12 episode seasons. Just make it 24 eps ffs xD.

Liking SAO is hardly an unpopular opinion. It's a good show brought down a bit by its adaptation and so far this cour the best adaptation of the source material yet. And yeah I don't love waiting for the rest but at the very least it means we won't have a drop off in quality like we did with the second half of the 1st part of Alicization.
Signature.
Dec 28, 2019 10:47 AM
May 2015
Last episode was really good!

Where to start the light novel from now on guys?
Dec 28, 2019 10:47 AM

Feb 2014
Easily the best season of sao so far, it probably helped that Kirito was a vegetable during the whole thing.
Dec 28, 2019 11:05 AM

Oct 2019
This series is truly amazing. I loved it from the start! It's hard to wait until April but it's the only thing we can do now.
Dec 28, 2019 11:05 AM
Jul 2019
Well another cour has ended now on to the next sequel......Ohh man they putting way too many god tiers around here.
Dec 28, 2019 11:09 AM

Mar 2015
The first season was so much better for me, I'm actually surprised people reaction to this one, I thought it was very lacking in comparison to the first one, but everyone seems to think the contrary.

That said, I do think the end of this season was in an uphill trajectory, can't wait for the next one.
Dec 28, 2019 11:11 AM

Oct 2019
Aleph199X said:
DiabolicNick said:

Liking SAO is hardly an unpopular opinion. It's a good show brought down a bit by its adaptation and so far this cour the best adaptation of the source material yet. And yeah I don't love waiting for the rest but at the very least it means we won't have a drop off in quality like we did with the second half of the 1st part of Alicization.

To like SAO is far from an unpopular opinion, it's one of the most succesful series in anime/novel industry. I thin the difference is that who like the serie doesn't need to write and to underline their opinion always, things are differnt for who hate a series, generally those persone tend to write more. That goes for every series. It's what I take from my long experience in different communities.
Dec 28, 2019 11:17 AM
Sep 2018
Darikan said:

hey they put it online as a beta test for a super violent VRMMOPG. Obviously any American who joined the game would be one who liked that stuff
Dec 28, 2019 11:21 AM

Jun 2012
AlsolinNancel said:
Last episode was really good!

Where to start the light novel from now on guys?

Volume 17 I guess.
Dec 28, 2019 11:21 AM
Sep 2018
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PoH is coming.
Ok but I'm still really pissed at how much of Iskhan's inner dialogue. There was so much that was rushing through his head, and the anime just skipped it all. I know the SAO anime has always done that, creating so many poor characters, but I just wish they'd stick more to the LN in times like these, because 50% of SAO is supposed to be inner conflicts and turmoils, so it doesn't work when they skip literally 100% of Kirito and Eugeo's thoughts.
Dec 28, 2019 11:44 AM
Apr 2018
deg said:

see you all in April

Yeah i was little dissapointent by it too but I mean, you cant expect a lot of sakuga knowing the production situation for this anime, still Way better than alicization first part which was atrocius in that regard.
Kanno who did the 70% of the main fighting scenes while doing a lot of corrections is something out of this world, bless this man.

I have still my doubt about the 2 half because this 2core wasnt supposed to be spilt in 2 which say a lot about what is going on with the anime staff.

tzy_19 said:
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PoH is coming.
Ok but I'm still really pissed at how much of Iskhan's inner dialogue. There was so much that was rushing through his head, and the anime just skipped it all. I know the SAO anime has always done that, creating so many poor characters, but I just wish they'd stick more to the LN in times like these, because 50% of SAO is supposed to be inner conflicts and turmoils, so it doesn't work when they skip literally 100% of Kirito and Eugeo's thoughts.

At this point we should accept that we are not getting a good adapatation for alicization but If they are going to do a progressive adaptation i hope they are going to bring in a director who is good with character driven story and not only with fancy effect or good animation.

Blaze35Dec 28, 2019 11:54 AM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

193 by RicFie »»
Apr 13, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Favorite SAO couple? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 17, 10:24 AM

» why do people like alice? ( 1 2 )

JoshMan - Oct 23, 2019

72 by DiamSilver »»
Feb 5, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2019

160 by dilaxd »»
Jan 17, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2019

285 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Dec 17, 2023 11:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.