Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 19, 2019 2:33 PM
Mar 2015
So Hose is basically a stalker that Pansy doe not like While our boy is taking care of him Sun swoops in on Pansy
Dec 19, 2019 3:15 PM

Aug 2013
SJ7izm said:
Basically, Pansy is a bitch.

What? No seriously, what?
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 19, 2019 10:23 PM

Nov 2008
Atavistic said:
People really aren't putting any thought into what Pansy said about Hose, are they? Nor are they putting what she's said into a meta context about harems in general, even though this show has a distinct penchant for going meta by this point.

It's not just "he's too kind and I hate him", it's more nuanced than that:

Pansy doesn't like Hose because he's the kind of harem protagonist who is so kind that all the girls fall for him, but also so kind that he won't ever outright reject any of them either. Pansy knows that Hose is in love with her, so from her perspective he's just stringing Cherry and Tsukimi along and hurting them in the process. We see an example of Pansy disliking this kind of thing this earlier in the show when Joro accepts all of the girls' lunches rather than only one of them.
On top of this, as the target of his feelings, Pansy feels the weight of the feelings of all the other girls who like Hose and seems to feel that, because of that, she can't reasonably turn him down no matter how much she wants to do so. Of course, it's easy to say from an objective standpoint that Pansy could do just that, but for the character it isn't that simple (and how boring would Pansy's character be if absolutely nothing phased her, as some people seem to want to be the case).

All of this can also be looked at from a meta perspective too: in harems, the protagonists aren't typically allowed to outright make decisions as that would either end the show (and any future opportunities for merchandising, OVAs or what have you) or piss off most of the fanbase in the process (see the reaction to the most recent Quintuplets chapters as an example of this).
By using Hose as an example of the standard harem protagonist and having Pansy reject him, the show is also positioning itself as a criticism of the harem genre itself: it criticises harems as being cruel for stringing the female characters along while allowing the male characters to enjoy their affections without ever having to be hurt or commit to anything. This is also why Joro is constantly framed in a negative light when he is "honest" and expresses his own desires for a harem, I presume.

It's an interesting and bold stance to take, and given the popularlity of harem anime, I'm not at all surprised to see it prove unpopular.

EDIT: Part of the issue here, if we scale back down to the characters, is that this whole situation is based on emotions rather than rational or objective arguments. So, from an objective perspective, Hose isn't "wrong", per se, but his actions have caused Pansy significant pain and distress, which is why the situation is so messy. We're being asked to empathise with Pansy here, but that doesn't make her objectively right, so it's not wrong to criticse her either, strictly speaking (I know that goes against the tone of how I opened this, but oh well).

That explains things really well!

I was confused too, at first. xD But it's definitely a smart series.

I wonder if Hose is supposed to be one of those "So nice he's intimidating" kind of characters...like one of those people whom it's impossible to say "no" to. That's probably it, right?

Dec 20, 2019 2:20 AM

Jun 2017
Oh no, looks like things are taking a turn for the worse, I wonder what's next, looks as if Sun-chan is about to become a villain, scary.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Dec 20, 2019 2:36 AM

Jul 2014
Chiibi said:
I was confused too, at first. xD But it's definitely a smart series.

I wonder if Hose is supposed to be one of those "So nice he's intimidating" kind of characters...like one of those people whom it's impossible to say "no" to. That's probably it, right?

I think that's more or less exactly it, actually; Hose's kindness creates an implicit pressure for everyone where, even if they have a problem with him or dislike him, they can't blame him for it. In fact, Hose is so kind that he unintentionally makes people feel guilty for having a problem with him; in Pansy's case, Hose is so kind to her through everything that she can't bring herself to hate him despite not wanting to be with him. But, because he loves her, she seems to feel an implicit pressure to be with him, partially because of that kindness but also because of the weight of all the other girls' feelings for Hose.

I've also realised what "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" means in the context of this episode:
Hose's kindness to the girls and refusal to outright reject them is borne out of good intentions, but all it does it cause them pain instead; by extension, Hose loving Pansy and helping her out here is based on good intentions, but as we saw all episode that just caused her distress and pain instead.
Dec 20, 2019 3:02 AM

Jul 2017
More problems for Joro...or is it? The dependable classmate that he called, Hose, plus Cherry and Tsukimi...what is this becoming into???

To unravel this puzzle requires some train of thought, it's easy to see how Hose's good intentions while the NTR of both Cherry and Tsumiki can deride what has been established after all this time. And learning about how Pansy has developed this wall against Hose, a friend that doesn't understand others. It's NOT WRONG per se to help, but that intention led to a belief of "good intentions gone completely wrong", so neither good nor bad will be great enough to outset Hose from his motive.

Atavistic said:
People really aren't putting any thought into what Pansy said about Hose, are they? Nor are they putting what she's said into a meta context about harems in general, even though this show has a distinct penchant for going meta by this point.

It's not just "he's too kind and I hate him", it's more nuanced than that:

Pansy doesn't like Hose because he's the kind of harem protagonist who is so kind that all the girls fall for him, but also so kind that he won't ever outright reject any of them either. Pansy knows that Hose is in love with her, so from her perspective he's just stringing Cherry and Tsukimi along and hurting them in the process. We see an example of Pansy disliking this kind of thing this earlier in the show when Joro accepts all of the girls' lunches rather than only one of them.
On top of this, as the target of his feelings, Pansy feels the weight of the feelings of all the other girls who like Hose and seems to feel that, because of that, she can't reasonably turn him down no matter how much she wants to do so. Of course, it's easy to say from an objective standpoint that Pansy could do just that, but for the character it isn't that simple (and how boring would Pansy's character be if absolutely nothing phased her, as some people seem to want to be the case).

All of this can also be looked at from a meta perspective too: in harems, the protagonists aren't typically allowed to outright make decisions as that would either end the show (and any future opportunities for merchandising, OVAs or what have you) or piss off most of the fanbase in the process (see the reaction to the most recent Quintuplets chapters as an example of this).
By using Hose as an example of the standard harem protagonist and having Pansy reject him, the show is also positioning itself as a criticism of the harem genre itself: it criticises harems as being cruel for stringing the female characters along while allowing the male characters to enjoy their affections without ever having to be hurt or commit to anything. This is also why Joro is constantly framed in a negative light when he is "honest" and expresses his own desires for a harem, I presume.

It's an interesting and bold stance to take, and given the popularlity of harem anime, I'm not at all surprised to see it prove unpopular.

EDIT: Part of the issue here, if we scale back down to the characters, is that this whole situation is based on emotions rather than rational or objective arguments. So, from an objective perspective, Hose isn't "wrong", per se, but his actions have caused Pansy significant pain and distress, which is why the situation is so messy. We're being asked to empathise with Pansy here, but that doesn't make her objectively right, so it's not wrong to criticse her either, strictly speaking (I know that goes against the tone of how I opened this, but oh well).

Putting this into episode context, the many meta themes sure make lots of sense.

Atavistic said:
I've also realised what "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" means in the context of this episode:
Hose's kindness to the girls and refusal to outright reject them is borne out of good intentions, but all it does it cause them pain instead; by extension, Hose loving Pansy and helping her out here is based on good intentions, but as we saw all episode that just caused her distress and pain instead.

And rounding this episode up, it's how that same "helping" notion sure fucks up the entire sequence of events, not to mention that helps (or rather, causes) disparity form within the entire cast right now. IMO helping people sure raises the effectiveness of the person having good motives, but it's up to the person to take advantage of that kindness and turn it into an entirely different thing a.k.a Hose, making it into that way where no one can criticise his actions.

Quite a fast episode full of expositions and puzzles to match and complete, it's gonna be a doozy to mix-and-match all that love polygon to a resolution with the last episode next week.
Dec 20, 2019 3:38 AM
Sep 2018
hikkiGOAT said:
The road to hell is paved with good intentions? What did he mean? That inner monologue was so off.

Recruiting Hose to help.
Good intentions on Joro's part... Highway to Hell for Pansy.

===
So... those two girls did know Pansy.
You know, the ones who "found" her book for Joro, knew how much it cost... and I still suspect of being the ones who trashed it in the first place.
It seems they may not have known it was her copy at the time, but took out their frustrations with the whole situation involving Hose & Pansy on it in proxy, as it was a book they associated with her.
I wonder if they have now put two and two together, and realized it really was her copy.

====
And... the comments concerning Hose that Tampopo made in Episode 9.5 now make total sense.
Dec 20, 2019 7:24 AM
Jul 2019
Honestly, Getting better, it was like a bang at the start then a drop and now it rising again, Im looking forward to the next episode
Oho?

Life is like a petal of leaves, Dead inside and crying
Dec 20, 2019 11:34 AM

Dec 2014
hmmm this episode end was something....I like the best friend best lol
Dec 20, 2019 1:52 PM

Apr 2016
It’s a good episode, it was funny to watch. However, what Sumireko said about Hose seems a bunch of too stupid things even for a comedy.
Dec 20, 2019 4:36 PM
Jul 2015
23feanor said:
But no, our characters actually communicated with each other.

It's kinda sad that this is basically a compliment, seeing as how common the opposite is.
Dec 20, 2019 5:06 PM

Oct 2008
w0w! actually a decent episode!
seeing Pansy helpless worries me as well...
5/5.

Dec 20, 2019 5:41 PM

Mar 2012
Anybody else notice the "I don't have many friends" bit?
Joro literally said "Boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai".
Didn't realize oresuki and haganai had the same illustrator -- Buriki

Also regretting watching the post-credits scene...
Dec 20, 2019 7:43 PM

Nov 2008
Evanjs said:

I haven't even seen Haganai but yes, I totally caught that. xD Funny shit.

Dec 21, 2019 6:25 AM

Mar 2018
Piromysl said:
This guy is named Yasuo. I already don't like it.

Underrated comment lol
Νεχ ποσσυμ τεχυμ ωιωερε, νεχ σινε τε.
Dec 21, 2019 1:57 PM
Mar 2019
In the end clip, SUN LOVE JORO ?
I mean, I think this is what he means by that.
Dec 21, 2019 7:01 PM

Nov 2008
I was going to make a long post to analyze this episode, but I think it can be summed up pretty efficiently by saying Pansy hates dense romcom protagonists because they don't realize the feelings of those around them.

She just made her point in the most roundabout way imaginable with the "other side of people's feelings" and such.

I also can't reconcile how she's upset with Hose for hurting those around him by not realizing their feelings for him, yet is fine with how Joro realizes the feelings of those around him and is stringing them along on purpose. I mean, he's outright admitted he wants to go for the harem route.
Dec 22, 2019 2:07 AM

Feb 2018
Hosecchi look like have feelings to pansy xD.
Dec 22, 2019 11:15 AM
May 2014
phantomfandom said:
This episode points out how Oresuki is different from other harem anime. In general harem anime the protagonist lacks awareness that he is in harem situation, but Joro is too awareness that he even breaks the fourth wall!

well I would say the hypocrisy of Hose being like that is that the MC is also exactly like that. He sees women all around him who are trapped into loving him and he decides to be indecisive and trap them around him like that. If anything, the fact the MC is aware of that makes him even worse as a person.
Dec 22, 2019 10:27 PM

Jan 2013
What an episode...especially that ending.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Dec 23, 2019 3:42 AM

Jul 2008
RealTheAbsurdist said:
DidiGetsRekt said:

It's because the guy is so kind and pure that you can't do anything against him
The two girls who like him can't get with him because he likes pansy but they are ready to cuck themselves and get him with her
Pansy doesn't like that but what can she do? On what ground can she criticize this amazing guy? She wants to get away but can't because there's no good reason too
It's just like when Joro says that everything they said was right but something felt off...
Sorry if that was a little convoluted but I hope you get what I meant

I mean...isn't that their problem then?: There's no actual reason why they can't say anything against the guy.

It isn't his problem. As Sumireko said, he is perfect.
The problem is the effect he has on others. His perfection makes those two girls following him put themselves in pain for his good (in matters of love, one should be selfish, not selfless), it makes it hard to be honest with him, and it makes some like Sumireko feel uncomfortable. Him being perfect does not mean that he has a a positive effect on everything, especially not in the world that is imperfect.

So yeah, their problem. But I think it should have been clear by now that most of these kids, Sumireko included, are very flawed human beings (with Hose being the polar opposite). Sumireko is the type that prefers people like Kisaragi who are flawed and a bit assholish, bug deep inside still good people.
Dec 24, 2019 3:59 PM
ザクシャ イン ラブ

Aug 2016
Experiencing someone's kindness is sometimes the most painful...
I agree with Sumeriko on how Hose being perfectly kind can actually hurt others around him.
Dec 25, 2019 2:15 AM
Jan 2011
He's oblivious not exactly just too kind.And what is with all those perfect people from the other high school? You would think they had an evil personality or something beneath? And setting up someone with the person you like is stupid.
Dec 25, 2019 8:31 PM

Apr 2018
Come on just when it's ending, it becomes interesting. I don't think we'll get a development with Joro and Pansy's relationship.
Dec 26, 2019 7:54 PM
Jul 2011
Chiibi said:
Evanjs said:

I haven't even seen Haganai but yes, I totally caught that. xD Funny shit.

I had to replay it if I heard it right. He did say, boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai.

Oresuki and Haganai have the same artist who worked on the original character design. It's probably a reference to Haganai.
Dec 28, 2019 9:22 AM

Mar 2012
Throughout the episode I was expecting Pansy to reveal that Hose is bad guy pretending to be good but now I really don't get Pansy, so what if the other girls are in love with him, is he supposed to love them back!? What exactly does she expect him to do!? I mean she says the reason she fell in love with Joro is because how she saw him getting a ton of food for Sun-chan after he lost the game, basically because he was being considerate, the same thing Hose is doing.
Dec 31, 2019 11:28 AM
Jan 2018
"Hell is paved with good intentions", I knew this quote from "Danzai no Exceed". It has made a strong impression on me.
Jan 3, 2020 7:54 AM

Nov 2009
She hates him because he's actually a good guy? Wow! Give this worthless bitch her prize for winning the Worse Bitch of All Time contest, the beating of a lifetime!
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 3, 2020 12:54 PM

Aug 2017
Sun-chan at the end is going to do something with Pansy.

"I remember that from episode 2" LMAOOOOO
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 17, 2020 3:20 PM

Aug 2017
Stupid show. Hazuki obviously blows away shitty MC. Pansy has 0 reason to favor MC over Hazuki.

Kill MC and make the show about pansy and Hazuki. Shows like this give false ideas to impressionable Japanese boys.
Jan 29, 2020 4:38 AM
Jan 2019
I feel sorry for Hose he was too kind
Feb 4, 2020 9:15 PM
Apr 2013
Can't like a character who's name is Yasuo...
Nov 24, 2020 3:25 AM

Dec 2012
Oh shit.... I saw it coming

Feb 13, 2021 8:28 AM

Jul 2015
"I don't have any friends" Damn, no need to hurt us viewers like that.

Hose really took the spotlight as 'main character' there, he indeed seems to pure of a person. The logic of Hose's haremgirls really is wrong, just because Joro 'doesn't' like Pansy doesn't mean that Pansy will switch liking the person she loves.
Seeing that after credit scene, I really hope Sun-chan will do something comedical or help Joro and not do something to make him the villain again...if only bench-kun could save the day...

Mar 9, 2021 3:48 AM

Sep 2012
OldBastard said:
Eh, I'm not sure I like how this story arc is being handled. Instead of Pansy not liking Hose being shown as an inner flaw of hers, it's being made out that she's actually in the right in her hate. Saying Hose is a bad for being too good a person that it forces others to put his happiness before their own? I mean, isn't Joro kinda doing just that with Asunaro but without the obliviousness to her feelings? Seems a bit hypocritical and silly to me.

difference Joro is not pursuing any of them romantically not making things clear to avoid hurting them but this guy is willing to hurt others to get 1girl, also he doesn't take no for an answer hes stalking her to the point she feels that she has to hide her beauty

Nayrael said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

I mean...isn't that their problem then?: There's no actual reason why they can't say anything against the guy.

The problem is the effect he has on others. His perfection makes those two girls following him put themselves in pain for his good (in matters of love, one should be selfish, not selfless), it makes it hard to be honest with him, and it makes some like Sumireko feel uncomfortable. Him being perfect does not mean that he has a a positive effect on everything, especially not in the world that is imperfect.

So yeah, their problem. But I think it should have been clear by now that most of these kids, Sumireko included, are very flawed human beings (with Hose being the polar opposite). Sumireko is the type that prefers people like Kisaragi who are flawed and a bit assholish, bug deep inside still good people.

+1

TrumpMD said:
Stupid show. Hazuki obviously blows away shitty MC. Pansy has 0 reason to favor MC over Hazuki.

Kill MC and make the show about pansy and Hazuki. Shows like this give false ideas to impressionable Japanese boys.

Anoo-Domini said:

2kind? what about her feelings?

he doesn't take no for an answer hes stalking her to the point she feels that she has to hide her beauty

Hose needs to take the hint and vanish no is no

SJ7izm said:

were u drunk or high when writing this?

FOR DUMMIES WHO THINK HES A GOOD GUY AND SUMI A BITCH

Hose, like Joro, has two distinct personalities, a Nice Guy facade and his True Self. Hose has perfected his personalities to a higher quality than Joro.

Hose's Nice Guy facade is the face he puts on in public. In this form, he is technically perfect in every way, with exceptional manners and a blinding smile. His act is so convincing he has even fooled Pansy into believing he is truly a nice guy. Hose can use this Nice Guy persona to get away with virtually anything, since he always does things in a way where he cannot be framed as the bad guy.

Hose's True Self is a manipulative and cunning schemer. While his Nice Guy persona acts as if his disregard for other people's feelings is accidental, the truth is that Hose simply does not care about other people. He is possessive and sees Pansy as his property. While Hose's Nice Guy facade is extremely well-polished, he is prone to letting his True Self show when he is angry.

Sugram22Mar 9, 2021 4:24 AM
Apr 4, 2021 5:49 AM

Jun 2015
Sugram22 said:
OldBastard said:
Eh, I'm not sure I like how this story arc is being handled. Instead of Pansy not liking Hose being shown as an inner flaw of hers, it's being made out that she's actually in the right in her hate. Saying Hose is a bad for being too good a person that it forces others to put his happiness before their own? I mean, isn't Joro kinda doing just that with Asunaro but without the obliviousness to her feelings? Seems a bit hypocritical and silly to me.

difference Joro is not pursuing any of them romantically not making things clear to avoid hurting them but this guy is willing to hurt others to get 1girl, also he doesn't take no for an answer hes stalking her to the point she feels that she has to hide her beauty

Nayrael said:

+1

TrumpMD said:

Anoo-Domini said:

2kind? what about her feelings?

he doesn't take no for an answer hes stalking her to the point she feels that she has to hide her beauty

Hose needs to take the hint and vanish no is no

SJ7izm said:

were u drunk or high when writing this?

FOR DUMMIES WHO THINK HES A GOOD GUY AND SUMI A BITCH

Hose, like Joro, has two distinct personalities, a Nice Guy facade and his True Self. Hose has perfected his personalities to a higher quality than Joro.

Hose's Nice Guy facade is the face he puts on in public. In this form, he is technically perfect in every way, with exceptional manners and a blinding smile. His act is so convincing he has even fooled Pansy into believing he is truly a nice guy. Hose can use this Nice Guy persona to get away with virtually anything, since he always does things in a way where he cannot be framed as the bad guy.

Hose's True Self is a manipulative and cunning schemer. While his Nice Guy persona acts as if his disregard for other people's feelings is accidental, the truth is that Hose simply does not care about other people. He is possessive and sees Pansy as his property. While Hose's Nice Guy facade is extremely well-polished, he is prone to letting his True Self show when he is angry.

+1
You just said everything in my mind
Jun 3, 2021 11:55 PM

Feb 2021
very boring anime, but not terrible 6/10

Oct 27, 2022 7:22 AM

Apr 2013
So finally we know why Pansy hides herself. Not only from Hose, but also not to be treated again like that. Though I'm pretty sure being beautiful has way more upsides than downsides, so doesn't make an awful lot of sense.
Last scene looks like Oga is an asshole after all, well for me he never stopped being one tbh. Just seeing him and Pansy alone was weird, given how he threatened her that one time.
Nov 10, 2022 11:30 PM

Oct 2022
I have to say, I understand what Pansy is saying, but still feel she is overreacting a little bit. The dude is still overall a pretty nice dude and he did originally help you out. Not to mention, it seems like he wasn’t a creep or anything. Like he asked you out 1 time and then was still trying to help you afterwards.
May 1, 2023 2:50 AM

Dec 2022
honestly they made another plot that fits in with the major story it is the final puzzle piece which ties up any lose ends but i wonder would they manage to finish such a major plot in two episode I'm guessing not
Oct 23, 2023 11:21 AM

Feb 2020
The Pansy stories are the best ones. Always the most deeply-thought of and they always entail future endeavors.
Dec 10, 2023 6:42 AM

Nov 2023
I hope the library related problems get solved.
Dec 25, 2023 12:28 PM
Nov 2022
Pansy's lore is finally coming out, nice.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

vicexxv - Sep 28, 2019

260 by ShoozieChicken »»
Apr 22, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 25, 2019

234 by 28012001 »»
Apr 1, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2019

104 by 28012001 »»
Mar 27, 6:45 AM

» Is Manga better or Light novel for Oresuki?

BhuvanSiesta - Nov 15, 2021

14 by eiko_zade »»
Jan 29, 11:39 AM

» Could anyone explain the difference between the stories of anime and manga? Is it okay to only watch anime?

Mugiwarayaa___ - Jan 19

3 by Efan »»
Jan 19, 2:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.