Forum Settings
Forums

YouTube Announces New Anti-Harassment Policy To Fight Racial, Gender, LGBTQ Abuse

New
Dec 11, 2019 3:58 PM

Jan 2009
For years, YouTube has faced flak from its critics over the video platform's anti-harassment policies. Now, the Google-owned company announced Wednesday it will take a tougher stance on content negatively targeting people based on their race, gender expression or sexual orientation.

Videos and comments with a threatening or intimidating message will be removed under the new guidelines. The policy will apply to everyone, "from private individuals, to YouTube creators, to public officials."

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/11/787165948/youtube-announces-new-anti-harassment-policy-to-fight-racial-gender-lgbtq-abuse

good news? but hopefully it cannot be abuse by youtube

that Vox Carlos Maza and Steven Crowder battle was classic though
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 11, 2019 5:59 PM

Nov 2008
Only one problem, it will be abused by Youtube if not already, now criticism is not allowed at all and the rules now make sure that the worst of Youtube like Onision don't get punished.

Dec 11, 2019 6:06 PM
May 2015
I think youtube made the wrong move here. Criticism has lead to the taking down of channels with horrible stuff and it has also led to the calling out of people spreading misinformation. The age of youtube is no more and soon more sites will pop up and will lead to youtube getting less traffic. Also, the Maza and crowder will always be a classic
Dec 11, 2019 6:10 PM

May 2018
Good decision from YouTube, assume they don't misused it.
Dec 11, 2019 6:13 PM
May 2015
Gorochu said:

But that's the problem, we have seen tools like this getting abused more than once.
Dec 11, 2019 6:21 PM

Sep 2018
Sounds good on paper but god this will be abused by youtube, they already do this with their other policies
Dec 11, 2019 6:25 PM
May 2018
And everything started with some zoo video... :(
Dec 11, 2019 6:44 PM

Sep 2019
I'm reminded of how people got banned indefinitely from twitch for saying naga, as in the snake creature.

I don't trust this at all
Dec 11, 2019 7:10 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
YouTube always says that they're gonna do something like this with literally any group (not just LGBTQ+)...
but yet it always looks like that their actions (...or rather... inaction) say something else.

@Tap_Dancin_Kaiju I don't trust them either.

deg said:

that Vox Carlos Maza and Steven Crowder battle was classic though

true dat lmao, absolutely nuts in the best way possible
Dec 11, 2019 8:08 PM
Feb 2017
Sounds good in theory, however in practice it's being set by YT so we already already know there are going to be controversies over this.
Dec 11, 2019 8:16 PM
Feb 2017
Psajdak said:
And everything started with some zoo video... :(

Can you link the video? I swear I've seen it recommended to me countless times but I kept ignoring it. Now I legit can't find it.
Dec 11, 2019 8:19 PM

Jul 2012
Tap_Dancin_Kaiju said:
I'm reminded of how people got banned indefinitely from twitch for saying naga, as in the snake creature.

That's actually pretty misleading way to describe what happened though, like they were intentionally phrasing it as a reference to the obvious slur (specifically they also included it along the global emotes of black people and it happened over the course of several hours).
Dec 11, 2019 8:51 PM
May 2018
BlakexEkalb said:
Can you link the video? I swear I've seen it recommended to me countless times but I kept ignoring it. Now I legit can't find it.

First YT video.
Dec 11, 2019 8:57 PM

May 2018
Ichigo56 said:
Gorochu said:

But that's the problem, we have seen tools like this getting abused more than once.

I think you are right. If famous youtubers that bring lots of views violate the rule,they will just get away with it but the small time youtubers does the same,they will get punishment.
Dec 11, 2019 9:03 PM

Nov 2019
@Gorochu ayo source on your signature? please
Dec 11, 2019 9:06 PM

May 2018
YggdraSEED said:
@Gorochu ayo source on your signature? please

Title of the manhua is My Wife is a Demon Queen from chapter 1. It's available in English in the internet.
Dec 11, 2019 11:10 PM

Feb 2015
Can't support anything that protects fragile feelings to further limit what people can say. It's going to be abused, no way around it.
Dec 11, 2019 11:22 PM

Dec 2017
A question is how do they enforce and decide if something is a "threatening or intimidating message"? They state that "context is key" but who get to decide the context? Do they have human moderators like Facebook who is the one deciding if something should be removed and is at the mercy of an "accuracy score"? Or is there going to be an algorithm that is making the decisions? The algorithm could reflect biases of the person who created it.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Dec 12, 2019 12:37 AM

Mar 2008
What do they count as threatening and intimidating though?
Dec 12, 2019 12:38 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
It seems that they can't tell the difference between criticism and harassment. Might increase the profits due to the overall content becoming more family-friendly though. As for the viewers and some small youtubers - you're screwed but look it on the bright side - youtube's been screwing you for so long that you probably won't even feel it anymore.
Dec 12, 2019 5:26 AM
Feb 2017
Psajdak said:
BlakexEkalb said:

First YT video.

That is not the video I thought we were talking about lol.
Dec 12, 2019 8:41 AM

Mar 2014
ye, youtube should ban AI-chan for harassing all bot-kin. robots aren't dumb nor they talks like a drunkard! >,<

Dec 12, 2019 8:55 AM

Feb 2017
Them youtube team need spanking. They behaving like overprotective parents.

Dec 12, 2019 9:18 AM

Jan 2009
foscor70 said:

they are doing this out of fear of more government regulations though
Dec 12, 2019 9:55 AM

May 2015
It just keeps getting worse and worse...🤦‍♂️

Dec 12, 2019 11:41 AM

May 2013
Yeah well gay people say faggot as much as anyone else so I don't give a shit, just keep being fair minded for cripes sake.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Dec 12, 2019 9:42 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
deg said:
foscor70 said:

All they care is to make the platform safer for brands rather than better for viewers.
Dec 13, 2019 1:09 AM
Jul 2018
Sounds terrible in theory and practise. If being called names on the internet is a big problem for somebody, they'll never be happy in life no matter how much fuckin' bubble-wrap the world is covered with. Some day they'll have to leave their cot and change their shit-filled nappies, or else die of diaper rash.
Dec 13, 2019 6:56 AM

Feb 2019
Now, I can imagine a lot of good channels disappearing from youtube especially the ones that are surrounded around roasting the kids who do cringe stuff. YouTube is becoming worse day by day.
Dec 15, 2019 5:50 AM

Nov 2016
How about people just man the fuck up instead and stop acting so offended.

Must be hard being a pussy.
Dec 15, 2019 9:34 AM

Nov 2013
And they were not already doing that?

I guess now they'll go after even more general conservative stuff and maybe crack down more on edgy humor as well.

I have said before that the problem with over moderation, is that it can lead to more "moderate" people going to the platforms that promote "free speech" which are basically echo chambers for the more "radical" types, so it may create more of those people.

I can see you

Dec 15, 2019 7:16 PM

Sep 2019
GamerDLM said:
Tap_Dancin_Kaiju said:

That's actually pretty misleading way to describe what happened though, like they were intentionally phrasing it as a reference to the obvious slur (specifically they also included it along the global emotes of black people and it happened over the course of several hours).
I see, didn't know that.

Still alot of ways this can go wrong considering youtube's track record though
Dec 16, 2019 11:16 AM
May 2017
149597871 said:
deg said:

All they care is to make the platform safer for brands rather than better for viewers.

That's essentially what this is. Youtube has evolved from a video-viewing platform for fun and turned into a business practice with employees, created content and sponsors. So now they need to "protect the brand" by adding in regulations that they think will filter the content properly and avoid national lawsuits, like actual cable companies. They've become what they hate.
What they don't see is these regulations are so weak and flimsy they can be abused by content creators on purpose or on accident, i.e. copyright strikes by foreign companies, smaller Youtubers dragging others down, false flagging, stolen content, etc.
I think one of the only viable solutions for Youtube at this point is to either delete their site and the content and start from scratch with better regulations or enforce stricter rules on those who are REALLY violating the site rules and investigate further claims.
Unfortunately, we all know the third option is the one they take every time.
Dec 16, 2019 12:40 PM

Mar 2018
YouTube most definitely won't succumb to abusing such a policy...

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Dec 18, 2019 9:33 PM

Feb 2019
Ah yes, one of the most anti-free speech companies is now trying to promote social justice. The beautiful irony is truly laughable.
Dec 18, 2019 10:04 PM

May 2018
DaddyClapCheeks said:
Ah yes, one of the most anti-free speech companies is now trying to promote social justice. The beautiful irony is truly laughable.

What irony? all SJW are anti-free speech.
Dec 18, 2019 10:18 PM

Jan 2016
Liberal/leftist social values cannot survive without censorship so this is no surprise at all.
Dec 18, 2019 10:30 PM

May 2019
Others expressed concern that the guidelines would target the wrong people and stifle creative endeavors. One Twitter user asked, "How does this work with humor?" YouTube's support team said they'll take note of context behind videos.

"Scripted satire, comedy or music may be considered artistic – if a video's purpose is educational, documentary, scientific or artistic, this is taken into account, but this is NOT a free pass to harass someone," the company tweeted.

I'm sure their A.I.'s have a deep understanding of humor and satire. No mistakes will ever be made.

Anyway, in theory I'm fine with platforms deciding whatever rules they want for their site. At the present moment, however, they pretty much dominate other platforms for amateur video content creators. No one else seems to have the technological infrastructure to compete, other than in limited capacities a la Facebook, Twitch, etc. So yeah, I'm not excited about Youtube having this much control over the discourse.

Bashing gay peeps for merely being gay and such is wrong though, of course. I just don't like people having unaccountable power. It always comes back to bite both ways.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.