Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 8, 2019 7:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A reunion with an old face for Thorfinn...interesting.

On the other hand, we also got the King and his careful plans in motion. Honestly, the king in this series is not someone to underestimate not just for their strategic mind but also their calculating personality. It's cool to also see more of Bjorn scenes this episode.
Dec 8, 2019 7:36 AM

Mar 2014
Bjorn died... this it, the Anime just received the justice it deserves.
I still can't believe how badass Canute has Become...
damn that meeting between Reif and Thorfin was... sad... ):
looking forward to the next episode!!
Dec 8, 2019 7:42 AM

Jul 2016
That last scene was heartbreaking. It really does feel like this is the beginning of the series.

Amazing episode, Leif finally reunited with a more angry and stubborn Thorfinn, although it didn't last for quite long. I hope we see him again sometime.

King Sweyn is still being himself, it seems. Probably more of him next time.

Bjorn may not have had a major role in the story as Askeladd, but seeing him get killed by his best friend wasn't very pleasant. This series is really making you hate Askeladd.

Overall, 5/5
Dec 8, 2019 7:56 AM
Apr 2019
Mike4992 said:
That last scene was heartbreaking. It really does feel like this is the beginning of the series.

Amazing episode, Leif finally reunited with a more angry and stubborn Thorfinn, although it didn't last for quite long. I hope we see him again sometime.

Bjorn may not have had a major role in the story as Askeladd, but seeing him get killed by his best friend wasn't very pleasant. This series is really making you hate Askeladd.

Overall, 5/5

Unless they changed it from the Askeladd killed Bjorn so that he could go into Valhalla since he was already dying and it was Bjorn's own wish. I don't see that as Askeladd being a bastard he was just doing Bjorn a favor. It was a touching and sad moment imo. The only asshole thing Askeladd did was how initially tired to get done quickly without answering Bjorn when he asked him if they were real friends imo.
Lawren222Dec 8, 2019 8:01 AM
Dec 8, 2019 8:12 AM

Jan 2019
"Bjorn, you're my friend, my only one."

Last scene was amazing. Was in tears.
Dec 8, 2019 8:49 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
This episode right here. So many epic things happened. VS's second half has been more than a masterpiece.

6/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Dec 8, 2019 9:04 AM

Feb 2018
Askeladd is kind of an evil(ish) genius. He's playing Sweyn like a fiddle.

I was not expecting that Bjorn scene right there at the end.

Even if we get Askeladd vs Thorfinn, I doubt Canute will let it go far.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Dec 8, 2019 9:08 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Damn that last scene was just too awesome, great episode.
Dec 8, 2019 9:24 AM
Aug 2019
Phenomenal episode! They keep it up like this... oh man, without a doubt my Anime of the Year!!
Dec 8, 2019 9:50 AM

Sep 2014
Why did they mention Helga's whereabouts but cut out the fact that Ylva is now a mother with both boys and girls? Also, it seems they cannot show nipples in the show either since in the manga the woman who impersonated Canute had her chest full shown too.

Putting aside these complaints, it was a fantastic episode with Bjorn having a sad yet amazing sendoff and Askeladd also admiting he considered to be his only one true friend in the world. Changing the order of events didn't really have any effect to the whole thing. It's still as amazing as it was in the manga.
MonkeyDHunterDec 8, 2019 10:14 AM
Dec 8, 2019 9:56 AM

Jun 2014
That last scene gave me chills, holu molly, you can feel Askeladd's internal rage (that white aura wow) and he is ready to vent them all.

I love the manga, and even with budget and production time constraints, I love its anime adaptation just as much. Of course it's almost impossible to replicate manga's extremely detailed art, but with top-tier OST, voice acting, backgrounds and genuine love and passion that staff put into this project, I am grateful.

Dec 8, 2019 9:56 AM

Oct 2017
axel360 said:

Even if we get Askeladd vs Thorfinn, I doubt Canute will let it go far.

Who cares what ohime-sama thinks. I can't wait for Thorfinn to carve him up
Dec 8, 2019 9:59 AM

Dec 2016
God, those episodes are really good, I am squeeing like a fan girl for the next one...

shit!! he got me! that fucking Poly
boomed me! he's so good! (x4)
Dec 8, 2019 10:00 AM

Jan 2009
finally Lief saw and talk to Thorfinn

and damn the still images or barely moving scenes on this episode are all well drawn impressive

RIP Bjorn you just wanted to have a bromance with Askeladd eh
Dec 8, 2019 10:03 AM
Jul 2018
Bjorn's death made me sad. He was so despicable yet his death hit hard. That's what perspective gives you. And that's why I'm loving this story.
Dec 8, 2019 10:06 AM

Sep 2018
LOL, those Thorfinn's expressions were so bad!
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Dec 8, 2019 10:07 AM

Sep 2017
Askeladd is playing the king like a fiddle. That staged assassination was really well done. They way it was shot made you think for a second that he was betraying Canute as well. Even knowing it doesn't make any sense for him to do so.

The last scene was really nice. We knew Bjorn was gonna die and so he'd rather die on the battlefield at the hands of his friend rather than sick in bed.
Dec 8, 2019 10:08 AM

May 2015
RIP Bjorn. You were awesome berserker.

Some shots in this episode (especially in the end) were amazing.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 8, 2019 10:13 AM
Oct 2013
Askeladd IS AMAZING!
Salute to the animation team capturing his Facial experssions.
The anime keeps getting better and better, We are in for a treat!!!
Dec 8, 2019 10:13 AM
May 2015
That had my eyes all watery at the end, the changes from the manga make this even better because now there is more a sense of finality to the events happening around us
Dec 8, 2019 10:20 AM

Nov 2016
"You're my only friend" ;_; bruh, that shit hurt, but it also felt good to see a more human side to Askeladd. Rip Bjornand slave woman

And Askeladd is simply a fucking genius. Awesome episode overall.
FMmatronDec 8, 2019 10:23 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 8, 2019 10:21 AM
May 2017
I feel bad for Leif. He just wasted 11 years of his life.

RIP Björn
Dec 8, 2019 10:23 AM
Apr 2016
Askeladd's plan was just genius, as expected from him. Thorfinn's reunion with that man spoke a lot about him, even while all of that was already revealed, just not that openly. The ending was heartbreaking, felt a real punch to the chest.
Dec 8, 2019 10:23 AM

Aug 2013
RIP Bjorn. That ending was just sad.

Askeladd with his planning.

Dec 8, 2019 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
Damm what a powerful episode, Directing at its best!
Dec 8, 2019 10:28 AM

Feb 2015
chair-sama said:
LOL, those Thorfinn's expressions were so bad!
This anime is going nuts with all the Jojo faces ain't it?
Dec 8, 2019 10:31 AM

Apr 2017
I really liked Bjorn as a character. Sad we won't see him again. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the next episode.

Haven't read the manga so I'm kinda worried about Askeladd. As shown in this episode he's not really in a good form so Thorfinn could easily kill him if Canute doesn't stop the duel.
Dec 8, 2019 10:35 AM

Oct 2017
RIP Bjorn, I didn't like him that much but he was a nice guy. Leif and Thorfinn's reuinon was emotional even thou it was short.
Dec 8, 2019 10:44 AM

Aug 2012
They ended it too soon, damn it!
Dec 8, 2019 10:48 AM

May 2019
MonkeyDHunter said:
Why did they mention Helga's whereabouts but cut out the fact that Ylva is now a mother with both boys and girls? Also, it seems they cannot show nipples in the show either since in the manga the woman who impersonated Canute had her chest full shown too.

Putting aside these complaints, it was a fantastic episode with Bjorn having a sad yet amazing sendoff and Askeladd also admiting he considered to be his only one true friend in the world. Changing the order of events didn't really have any effect to the whole thing. It's still as amazing as it was in the manga.

I prefer this type of censorship to dark/white beams that only get removed in blue rays.
Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever
English Dubs are better than subs
You all have anime profile pic so you opinion doesn't count
Your Waifu is trash
Cory in the house is the best anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA
Japanese are one of the most xenophobic nations
My Anime List looks like a website from 1990s
Dec 8, 2019 10:54 AM

Oct 2015
At this point I feel like I'm watching a fake trophy, all shiny outside but nothing inside. That's this series for you, "Good art design but no tangible story to speak off". The guy who wrote even saw his story was mediocre, and decided to focus on the "duel". Even that has lost its substance way long ago when he decided to dwell on cheap politics, any person with half a brain can see this is so tacky.

This episode was made even more mediocre when Askeladd decided to kill Bjorn, the hell you kill him for? I'm not surprised, since it all comes to lack of writing from the middle.

You may create accounts to rate it higher, and call it the anime of the season whatsoever, but the fact will remain, it's mediocre. You may even try to downvote new series, but it will be the same to people who are enlighten by its true nature.

I can't believe earlier on, I wanted to add the manga in my list. I'm glad I didn't, holy Jesus!!
lihle808Dec 8, 2019 10:58 AM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 8, 2019 10:55 AM

Jul 2014
RIP Bjorn. He was a piece of shit but his character was enjoyable indeed.

Leif's reunion with Throfin was short and showed us that Throfin is too fucking obsessed with his revenge, the asshole didn't even ask about his family.

They really nailed up the end of the episode, the ost, the art, the animation, and the atmosphere were the point on. Next up is Thorfin vs Askaland again.

Being honest, Throfin should have the skills and speed to beat Askaland now but he's a dumbb idiot so Askaland will most likely troll him again.
Dec 8, 2019 10:59 AM
Apr 2014
MonkeyDHunter said:
Also, it seems they cannot show nipples in the show either since in the manga the woman who impersonated Canute had her chest full shown too.

They can not show nipples in any anime unless it's adult/uncensored, not even men's nipples, which in animes where guys go topless a lot like Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? and Kengan Ashura can be pretty distracting (because it looks weird).
Dec 8, 2019 11:00 AM

Jul 2014
Mike4992 said:

Overall, 5/5

You are missing the point. Viking warrior believes that they go to Valhalla once they die a battle, so Borjon wanted to die in a battle against Askaland instead of just dying in his bed. By all means, Askaland was doing him a favor.
Dec 8, 2019 11:06 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
lihle808 said:
At this point I feel like I'm watching a fake trophy, all shiny outside but nothing inside. That's this series for you, "Good art design but no tangible story to speak off". The guy who wrote even saw his story was mediocre, and decided to focus on the "duel". Even that has lost its substance way long ago when he decided to dwell on cheap politics, any person with half a brain can see this is so tacky.

This episode was made even more mediocre when Askeladd decided to kill Bjorn, the hell you kill him for? I'm not surprised, since it all comes to lack of writing from the middle.

You may create accounts to rate it higher, and call it the anime of the season whatsoever, but the fact will remain, it's mediocre. You may even try to downvote new series, but it will be the same to people who are enlighten by its true nature.

I can't believe earlier on, I wanted to add the manga in my list. I'm glad I didn't, holy Jesus!!

Askeladd killed Bjorn because he knew he was going to die anyway, and for a Viking, the mentality is that they reach Valhalla when they die on a battlefield. This point is way too obvious for literally everybody watching the show, idk why are you so salty about that.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Dec 8, 2019 11:21 AM
Mar 2010
lihle808 said:

At this point, you're only embarrassing yourself. The more you keep this up, the deeper you dig yourself into a hole. Save us and especially yourself the trouble of coming to this forum each week sounding like a broken record.
Dec 8, 2019 11:22 AM
Jun 2015

Askeladd promised a duel if he fulfilled this mission of protecting the prince from the beginning of the bow and until now it becomes comprehensive by him killing the prince's killer and even following the spies, if you were immersed in history, would know that this is interconnecting, past information and even about characters, and of course, I see that everyone here has answered you, you try to find fur in the egg, with superficial visions that do not encompass any knowledge of what was the past episodes.
Dec 8, 2019 11:31 AM
Sep 2019
Askeladd's plan was just genius, as expected from him. It was a fantastic episode with Bjorn having a sad yet amazing sendoff and Askeladd also admiting he considered to be his only one true friend in the world.
Dec 8, 2019 11:35 AM

May 2019
It was amazing as expected but i couldn't help but laugh every time Thorfinn did the Grand Blue expressions
Dec 8, 2019 11:36 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Again, they're doing such a solid job adapting this
welcum2savage said:
lihle808 said:

askeladd killed him out of mercy so he could go to valhalla as a warrior as he was dying anyway. Anyone with "half a brain" could figure that out Mr Naruto

@Gabisu @excalibur977436

Stop answering this guy. He's a troll. He comes in and baits every episode to see who will use their time on him. If he disliked it so much, he would have dropped it a long time ago and used his valuable time to watch precious masterpieces like Naruto and One Piece.

If MAL had more serious moderation, he would have been suspended a while ago. Alas, MAL only takes action when you use profanities or personally attack someone.

I found it mildly amusing that he revealed his MO when trying to get the shows he likes higher up on lists. Freudian slip I guess.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 8, 2019 11:41 AM

May 2019
lihle808 said:
Bjorn was dying anyways and they dueled so he could die as a warrior and go to Valhalla
Dec 8, 2019 11:48 AM

Jan 2017
Oh boy those last few minutes, I was not prepared for this feel train! Askeladd is one of the best anti-hero ever.
Dec 8, 2019 11:55 AM

Apr 2014
operationvalkyri said:
Bjorn's death made me sad. He was so despicable yet his death hit hard. That's what perspective gives you. And that's why I'm loving this story.

I would call the other members of askelads original squad despicable compared to that bjorn was noble till the end accepting his death fate and following askellad till the end.
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Dec 8, 2019 12:06 PM
May 2018
lihle808 said:

Simple, Bjorn was going to die anyway, so he was preferred to die as a warrior with a sword on his hand rather than dying on bed.
Dec 8, 2019 12:08 PM

Sep 2019
Dudi4PoLFr said:
Oh boy those last few minutes, I was not prepared for this feel train! Askeladd is one of the best anti-hero ever.

Agreed, his character has become the main strength of the show for me too. Really looking forward to the future developements between him and Canute, should be interesting.
Dec 8, 2019 12:09 PM

Jan 2009
Kobayasan said:
lihle808 said:
Bjorn was dying anyways and they dueled so he could die as a warrior and go to Valhalla

lol its like he forgot the Valhalla talk already
Dec 8, 2019 12:14 PM
Mar 2015
Glad Askelaad was able to sen Bjorn to Valhalla as a friend. Now on to the main event
Dec 8, 2019 12:36 PM
Aug 2019
lihle808 said:

Jeez, some people are so stupid and narrow minded in their hate. Go back to your shonens, young fella.
Dec 8, 2019 12:41 PM

Oct 2018
Wish they included the sentence from Leif stating that

Dunno why they excluded it
Dec 8, 2019 12:44 PM
Feb 2009
shtt overall sad episode and only 3 more to go Fs in chat
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

392 by joelius__0 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.