Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 29, 2019 5:45 PM

Jan 2013
Hello guys, just wanted to share something that's been bugging me for a while now. Do you get a feeling people of today expect too much from studios ? I consider myself a casual anime watcher. I don't have waifus or stuff like that, I simply enjoy watching anime when I have time to watch. Main thing that's been bugging me are people that expect some miracle animation every time. I kinda wonder do those idiots even know how much money and effort people that work in studios do. I imagine people that complain must be really young or just plain morons that have nothing better to do then trash talk someone elses effort and work. Don't get me wrong, I realise there are awfull animations , with bad CGI. For me anime is free entertainment. I'm gratefull I can even watch them, and I'm also gratefull they even animate more then 1 season of certain shows I like. Let me give you an example that's most recent in my mind, and only example I can offer High School DxD Hero. People were such pains in the ass because of animation and animation in my opinion was fine, so what they changed it a bit, like its some tragedy. People are so ungratefull its beyond funny. Let me be frank, as long it ain't 100% Japanese CGI I can enjoy any animation, bad or great. I enjoyed Kimetsu no Yaiba. Yes its epicly animated, but animation wasn't the thing that made me give it high score. Is it me or are there a bigger number of people nowadays that only complain about ridicuolus stuff like animation change ?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 29, 2019 6:04 PM

Nov 2019
These kind of people have been around since I started watching back in the day, but have seemed to increased in numbers dramatically since about the mid-10s imo. I personally blame the "standardisation" of animation since around then as computer aided workflows became the norm and studios generally got used to using them and quality picked back up. Even bad poorly funded shows have an average animation quality better or equal than a lot of old gems considered good back in the day in many ways.

A lot of pre 2010 shows would be considered poorly animated by today's standards but were quite good then. While I miss how each studio had very defined styles that doesn't translate as well to contemporary works, the variability in base animation quality has definitely gone down which is a net plus. Now that most animators are comfortable with digital media, I think the cap for animation quality has lifted tremendously. No more optical machines or cutting scenes with big contraptions, almost no material costs, frames can be perfected without having to redo them from scratch etc.

Not that I don't understand the complaints either. When Haruhi S2 came out I was a bit unhappy with the admittedly minor art changes compared to S1, but eventually got over it. But really there are very few legitimately bad animations these days. And I don't count in-betweens because that's just stupid nitpicking.
Nico nico ni~eed a siggy like the all the cool kids
Really wish we had a rep system so I could farm it and spam rep+
Nov 29, 2019 6:06 PM

Oct 2019
I totally get what you're saying and I agree. People bitch too much about animation when it's not incredible. Unfortunately not every really good show has the time, budget, or people to make the sort of eyegasmic animation some anime have.

I'm not saying I'm some sort of saint that doesn't get a bit annoyed when some animation doesn't live up to its source material or a really amazingly animated show changes studios (cough cough one punch man) to something that just isn't as good as before but it doesn't really bother me much.

I love beautiful animation as much as the next person and I wish every show looked as beautiful as Violet Evergarden did but I think it's just plain rude and ignorant to bash the creators for making something not of that quality.
Animation is incredibly hard and most animators these days are severely underpaid so it's really sad to see people acting like that.

I'm just happy to find that some things get animated at all.
Nov 29, 2019 6:14 PM
May 2018
What can I say, most people can't appreciate what they have.
Nov 29, 2019 6:21 PM

Jan 2013
ItsaNico said:
These kind of people have been around since I started watching back in the day, but have seemed to increased in numbers dramatically since about the mid-10s imo. I personally blame the "standardisation" of animation since around then as computer aided workflows became the norm and studios generally got used to using them and quality picked back up. Even bad poorly funded shows have an average animation quality better or equal than a lot of old gems considered good back in the day in many ways.

A lot of pre 2010 shows would be considered poorly animated by today's standards but were quite good then. While I miss how each studio had very defined styles that doesn't translate as well to contemporary works, the variability in base animation quality has definitely gone down which is a net plus. Now that most animators are comfortable with digital media, I think the cap for animation quality has lifted tremendously. No more optical machines or cutting scenes with big contraptions, almost no material costs, frames can be perfected without having to redo them from scratch etc.

Not that I don't understand the complaints either. When Haruhi S2 came out I was a bit unhappy with the admittedly minor art changes compared to S1, but eventually got over it. But really there are very few legitimately bad animations these days. And I don't count in-betweens because that's just stupid nitpicking.
marinara-sauce said:
I totally get what you're saying and I agree. People bitch too much about animation when it's not incredible. Unfortunately not every really good show has the time, budget, or people to make the sort of eyegasmic animation some anime have.

I'm not saying I'm some sort of saint that doesn't get a bit annoyed when some animation doesn't live up to its source material or a really amazingly animated show changes studios (cough cough one punch man) to something that just isn't as good as before but it doesn't really bother me much.

I love beautiful animation as much as the next person and I wish every show looked as beautiful as Violet Evergarden did but I think it's just plain rude and ignorant to bash the creators for making something not of that quality.
Animation is incredibly hard and most animators these days are severely underpaid so it's really sad to see people acting like that.

I'm just happy to find that some things get animated at all.
Psajdak said:
What can I say, most people can't appreciate what they have.

Im glad you guys see my point. I started watching anime 12 years ago. There were people then that complained, but nowadays there are way way more people that complain about stupid shit. I saw on a forum someone complained and trash talked a show because they changed MC hair color in anime. Nitpicking is becoming a standard and its painfull to see. Lets be real , we all watch anime from streaming pirating websites. Mostly because there aint great options besides them. I would never trash talk a show because of something minor like that, I'm gratefull for basically free entertainment.
Nov 30, 2019 3:16 AM

Apr 2010
Personally, I didn't encounter this much, mostly when they made a squeal long time after for things which were drawn by hand. Or I just didn't notice, also an option. Thogh these changes felt really weird (especially when in one time they just made one of the character's chest larger for no damn reason), but it is something I really enjoyed, I'd be disappointed, but won't complain to the whole world about it.

Back at the day I watched Junjou Romantica and there was one couple I really loved, so when then third season came out, and I realized the animation was different it really made no feel like watching all episodes (as, let's be honest, I didn't care about them much, to begin with), but I did watch the episode of the couple I liked. It felt weird as hell... but I watched.

Usually, I care more if I see a changing animation (cause I'm already used to it), rather than first time seeing the animation. But there are always horrible ones. Shin-chan has bad animation and bad plot... if you can call it this way...

Nov 30, 2019 3:27 AM

May 2009
I find that the chatter on the internet is often judgemental of the show in some way. It's like, there's a lot of watching anime "from the outside", rather than really getting "into" the story.

And as a result I've found it useful to just enjoy stuff on my own.

It's harder to enjoy something when someone's telling you "this is bad" and "that is bad" on the side, or when you feel expected to pass judgement on something you watch just to have something to talk to people about. (Which is also why I don't rate after every episode, or even immediately after I finish a show.)
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 30, 2019 3:33 AM
Mar 2018
TheVenom said:
Hello guys, just wanted to share something that's been bugging me for a while now. Do you get a feeling people of today expect too much from studios ? I consider myself a casual anime watcher. I don't have waifus or stuff like that, I simply enjoy watching anime when I have time to watch. Main thing that's been bugging me are people that expect some miracle animation every time. I kinda wonder do those idiots even know how much money and effort people that work in studios do. I imagine people that complain must be really young or just plain morons that have nothing better to do then trash talk someone elses effort and work. Don't get me wrong, I realise there are awfull animations , with bad CGI. For me anime is free entertainment. I'm gratefull I can even watch them, and I'm also gratefull they even animate more then 1 season of certain shows I like. Let me give you an example that's most recent in my mind, and only example I can offer High School DxD Hero. People were such pains in the ass because of animation and animation in my opinion was fine, so what they changed it a bit, like its some tragedy. People are so ungratefull its beyond funny. Let me be frank, as long it ain't 100% Japanese CGI I can enjoy any animation, bad or great. I enjoyed Kimetsu no Yaiba. Yes its epicly animated, but animation wasn't the thing that made me give it high score. Is it me or are there a bigger number of people nowadays that only complain about ridicuolus stuff like animation change ?

And most of these people pirate anime, I mean if you're getting something for free then why complain about it lol? Makes them look like CBs. Also yeah I 100% agree with your post, I was going to make a post on this topic but you saved my time, thanks for that.
Nov 30, 2019 3:38 AM

Oct 2013
Id like to mention no one complained about the animation of DXD Hero
they were mad that the art style changed from how it looked compared to first 3 seasons
yes equally dumb but is different just saying

most recent real example would be OPM2 when art style stayed the same and nothing character wise changed but it wasn't as fluidly animated as when the staff from Bones worked on it with MadHouse so people complained like if it was important when it wasn't for the narrative or comedy of the series
Nov 30, 2019 3:58 AM

May 2009
TheVenom said:
Let me be frank, as long it ain't 100% Japanese CGI I can enjoy any animation, bad or great.
One of the funniest things is that I've actually watched an entire anime series without knowing it was CGI.

I enjoyed it. Consider it among the best things I've watched.

Take that, CGI haters.
Nov 30, 2019 4:18 AM

Mar 2018
I expect naught but the highest of qualities! If you can indulge yourself in utter trash then by all means go ahead.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Nov 30, 2019 4:20 AM
Nov 2019
You're right, also there are some trash anime nowadays floating around the community... and people still watch them... It makes me sick
Nov 30, 2019 4:25 AM
Jan 2018
It's the same with censorship . You would expect people would know why it's there to begin with .

Like with seven deadly sins and it's white blood apprently it's due to the time slot it airs in Japan but of course it has other problems then just censorship just an example
Mattinator95Nov 30, 2019 4:31 AM
Nov 30, 2019 4:27 AM

May 2015
There are a lot of anime to choose from nowadays. I don't mind if the animation is slightly off and that's barely noticeable, it's ok to have occasional slip-ups if the overall quality is good. But when the studio doesn't make any effort from the start and animation looks empty or like a lazy slideshow, I wonder why they even bother producing it and why should I bother watching it. Better read the manga or forget about it altogether when there's so much better stuff out there I can watch.
Nov 30, 2019 4:29 AM
Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
TheVenom said:
Let me be frank, as long it ain't 100% Japanese CGI I can enjoy any animation, bad or great.
One of the funniest things is that I've actually watched an entire anime series without knowing it was CGI.

Take that, CGI haters.

What anime was that if I may ask

I'm gonna take a guess due to not enough characters to submit the post.

Was it land of the lustorus
Nov 30, 2019 4:31 AM

Jan 2009
anime is translated as animation in english anyway so obviously animation is very important to anime

you should rather read the manga of the anime then if you do not care much about the anime

heck thats kinda my complain and suggestion with One Punch Man season 2 that they should have made the manga in full color instead of doing the anime sequel of it since they will save a lot of money that way too

and yes if manga is in full color you bet i will read more manga than watch anime
Nov 30, 2019 4:33 AM

May 2009
Mattinator95 said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Take that, CGI haters.

It wasn't. It was
Nov 30, 2019 4:34 AM

Oct 2015
Well I just hope people here dont generalize this subject, and I mean, you are essentially complaining about people who "complain" about bad animation, but are you saying that people aren't allowed to criticize a piece of work?

Regardless of the people working behind a series and their conditions, the audience can and will manifest their opinions on bad animation, especially with big titles like One Punch Man and more recently The Seven Deadly Sins. I also point out those series have gone downhill and thats ok to say since its just another opinion - my observation.

If you are specifically talking about people who actually complain like the industry owe them anything or something like that, well, those are immature / young people who dont know their place as a media consumers and dont know the meaning of criticism, but i still believe there aren't THAT many of those kinds of people out there.
Nov 30, 2019 4:35 AM
Mar 2017
I personally am more sensible to animation, picture coloration and drawing style, rather than storyline and character development. I watch animes for those. So when I see an anime praised or recommended, I am often disappointed because excellent works are rarer art-wise than story-wise.

I completely understand that nowadays the economy of anime only allows top movies to put great care on animation. The rest has good animation, that won't become the selling point but won't be a demerit either.

Still, digitalisation has one big problem to my sense. With by-hand animation, even a not so well animated series will have a particularity in its animation, due to the animator's own style. Now, software are standardizing animation. There is no surprise in the minute movements of the different shapes. The animation flows in a predictable realistic way. This is what I regret. The "touch" of early animation is absent.
Nov 30, 2019 10:29 AM
Jul 2018
Animation worldwide shifted to CGI and this can not leave Japanese animation unaffected. If there is not competition from other countries, how can you improve? Anime was created and improved as a response to Disney and other countries' animated features

Now we just adore anything 2D from Japan because Western studios stopped focusing on 2D, with few exceptions, mostly from Europe.

So yes, people are expecting too much
Nov 30, 2019 10:41 AM
May 2018
Solution: focus on old anime, you won't be dissapointed.

But to be honest, I never really had any problems with CG, even when it was still undeveloped.

In fact, now that I think about it, when it comes to stories from Japan, I even like those cutscenes from games for PS1, or PS2 consoles.
Nov 30, 2019 10:42 AM

Jul 2016
I feel like those are the kind of people who take screenshots of in between frames in an anime,and then use that to attempt to build their argument that the whole anime looks bad just because of that,showing their lack of understanding of how animation works.
Nov 30, 2019 10:56 AM

Nov 2016
I consider myself to prefer story and characters over animation quality or character design so I generally only complains when I feel like those have been butchered as well like with index 3. But if someone else feel the opposite then I believe they should also have the right to complain about it as long as they paid for it which is the right of every customer
Nov 30, 2019 10:57 AM
May 2019
People are allowed to have standards, there is nothing wrong with pointing out bad animation like in the case of Nanatsu no Taizai: Kamigami no Gekirin. Anime is a visual medium and things like animation and art style play a huge role in overall enjoyment.
Nov 30, 2019 11:04 AM
Jul 2018
I don't mind fully CGI show (even though I'd prefer 2d animation over anything else) but if an anime looks bad (or just is bad) I do not care if a lot of efforts have been into it. If it's trash it's trash, I definitely won't be grateful or score the show higher for the ones who did the show, even if they did their best, even if it's because they had a low budget, the context in which the show was done has nothing to do with how I view it.
Nov 30, 2019 11:42 AM

Nov 2018
To a lot of people, anime is like a drug, a gateway; people want more and more until they've become saturated and everything they've once watched becomes normal and the demand for higher quality shows increases, whilst lower quality shows (which we consider alright - either rated in the 7s or 6s) are deemed as bad or unwatchable. The anime industry is a new medium for most people where there are years-worth of content available to watch, even for me, 70+ days of anime only covers nearly 2.5% of all anime watched.

However, in the case of western cartoons, I've actually come to expect less over the years because the quality of shows have dropped, a good fraction of shows now use 3D CGI, and that they've become bad and irrelevant (probably the same with others and with reference to the comic book industry as well.). Less and less people are watching modern cartoons. The only shows that I expect are good currently are Rick and Morty and South Park, the rest are considered just average or below. Older shows such as ATLA, the golden generation of The Simpsons, Futurama, OG Teen Titans, Regular Show, etc. are shows that are very good but are now long gone since they've finished. R&M has basically killed off The Simpsons and have replaced them as the new dysfunctional normal family of the current era, not bound in a time bubble and can actually age well. As streaming services and shows become more accessible legally, more people will flock to newer pastures.

I would consider the golden age of cartoons to be over for the last few years, and now the demand for anime will continue to skyrocket and still become more mainstream and accepted as time goes on.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Nov 30, 2019 12:13 PM

Feb 2010
I honestly don't know where these expectations come from. Anime is notorious for being all about saving budget and filling 20 minutes with as cheap of animation as possible. That's literally how it came into existence, trying to be as cheap as possible.

I mean yeah, sakuga are a thing and I love them but even the bestest animated shows have maybe a few minutes of those while the rest of the episode tends to be full of more budget saving techniques like stills, mouthflaps, pans and minimal animation. And in addition to that anime has also increasingly prioritized art quality/designs over animation quality. Obviously the more details the art has the longer every frame takes to draw and the less frames there will be drawn in the same amount of time.

So people should at least know what they want. If they want characters with complex eyes that alone take multiple hours to draw in each frame (source: some interview with an animator I read 2 years ago) then they should accept that there will be less sakuga and overall less animation. If you want fluid and fast-paced animation the other end of the spectrum are shows like Ping Pong, which are okay with having a sketch-y artstyle and not much consistency in terms of being on-model, but in return get to have fantastic animation in a much larger ratio than normal anime. But you simply can't have both ends of the spectrum unless you make a high budget movie. It doesn't work for TV Series with their limited budget and stressful schedules. Unless maybe you're KyoAni who have found a way around it.

That being said anime IS still a visual medium and HOW an anime is animated does play a vital role to its overall quality and how enjoyable it is to watch that show. It's absolutely understandable people pay attention and care about animation quality and I can relate more to even the nitpickiest animation fan than to people who say the animation is completely irrelevant.

For me the question isn't whether animation quality is important or not - it definitely is. It's more about having the right expectations for the medium based on a basic understanding of how anime gets made, what sakuga are, how art and animation quality interact etc... That includes learning stuff like that identifying one wonky in-between frame that is shown for a fraction of a second does not constitute a basis for criticizing the animation quality of the show.

And beyond that it just boils down to people having different priorities and their minds working differently. Me, I can easily enjoy something with below-average or even terrible animation if I'm captivated enough by the story and characters, but when I'm not 100% immersed in a show and I start recognizing animation issues, it can really ruin it for me as well. Because it definitely is an important factor, I'm just lucky enough to not always pay attention to it if a show manages to occupy my mind with other aspects.

For some people it might be the same and they just get hung up on the animation quality when they were already not big fans of a show and then they can't not see it, and for some it might be different and they can never not focus on the animation quality as a central part of their viewing experience in the first place. And another group might just be silly haters who don't understand animation and simply enjoy complaining so they'll scour in-between frames for something to rant about. There's a whole range of positions and approaches people have regarding animation. I only wish they were, on average, more informed and infused with actual knowledge of the process and important criteria, maybe then people would be less quick to call any stylistic difference 'ugly' or 'bad' by default.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 30, 2019 12:23 PM

Feb 2010
_cjessop19_ said:
To a lot of people, anime is like a drug, a gateway; people want more and more until they've become saturated and everything they've once watched becomes normal and the demand for higher quality shows increases, whilst lower quality shows (which we consider alright - either rated in the 7s or 6s) are deemed as bad or unwatchable. The anime industry is a new medium for most people where there are years-worth of content available to watch, even for me, 70+ days of anime only covers nearly 2.5% of all anime watched.

However, in the case of western cartoons, I've actually come to expect less over the years because the quality of shows have dropped, a good fraction of shows now use 3D CGI, and that they've become bad and irrelevant (probably the same with others and with reference to the comic book industry as well.). Less and less people are watching modern cartoons. The only shows that I expect are good currently are Rick and Morty and South Park, the rest are considered just average or below. Older shows such as ATLA, the golden generation of The Simpsons, Futurama, OG Teen Titans, Regular Show, etc. are shows that are very good but are now long gone since they've finished. R&M has basically killed off The Simpsons and have replaced them as the new dysfunctional normal family of the current era, not bound in a time bubble and can actually age well. As streaming services and shows become more accessible legally, more people will flock to newer pastures.

I would consider the golden age of cartoons to be over for the last few years, and now the demand for anime will continue to skyrocket and still become more mainstream and accepted as time goes on.

This talk about western animated series is pretty off topic but I just wanted to strongly disagree with you on basically everything you said. There have been a ton of good western animated series in the last couple of years, from Bojack Horseman and Rick and Morty to Castlevania and Justice League to Over the Garden Wall or Big Mouth or the recent Primal by the Samurai Jack creator or the new Matt Groening show Disenchanted or the new show by the ATLA creators, Dragon Prince, or Guillermo del Toro's 'Tales of Arcadia' trilogy or even some random show like 'The Hollow' I enjoyed all of these, and more, quite a lot in recent years. And they are quite varied as well in terms of contents and genres. So if anything I feel that western animated series have been on the rise lately. At least on Netflix their repertoire has been more convincing than their live action additions as far as I'm concerned.

But even setting personal taste aside, just recently the most expensive animated series ever was produced by Netflix (Green Eggs and Ham at 6 million $ per episode) so that alone is a sign for me that, financially, the industry is not really petering out as you are implying.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 30, 2019 12:37 PM
Apr 2016
I consider myself a man of standards and a faithful viewer, who does more than just consume - I also consider what was just consumed. Others usually call me an elitist, thinking it is an insult or something. Pseudo-elitist is, kids, learn your terminology.

Why should we expecting too little? This is 21th century, more than 2000 (2019) years of culture, storytelling, concept of intellectual creation and, finally, art. Back in the days art was not a right, it was a duty - most have earned by heart the apex works of their countrymen. Because they were something outstanding by the standards of the ancient societies. We live in a society. Society had undergone tremendous development, and needs to undergo just as much, if not more, to reach the ideal as Ancient Greek imagined.

Why then, with so much time spent on the history, education, philosophy, culture we should not expect every next story to be better? Evolution is the basis of human race. Unless you claim that the humanity has encountered an impasse, sir. Which would be quite a claim and a social critique, full of philosophy and symbolism. Now go and chug a hedgehog.
Re:formed
Nov 30, 2019 12:42 PM

Oct 2017
I used to be quite hardcore on OPs "side" about this. But I've moved much more to the center on the issue.

I still think there are tons of shows that are overrated due to having a high budget. I think animation is important, but it's clear from interacting with the community that people value it more than me. I'm not claiming one way is objectively correct. But for me, the animation quality, on a purely techincal level, is largely just a matter of budget, and not as important as artistic expression through themes, character interactions, plot, and other storytelling elements.

However. Just like how OP derides people who put down the hard work of artists working on a low budget, having the opposite attitude and ignoring the hard work of artists who work on high budget anime is just as wrong.

I'm not a fan of MP100, but the animation, on a technical level and on an artistic expression level, is very very high. The work ufotable puts out is insanely beauitful. And that is down the hard work of people who are really passionate.

Also, it's rare, but there are shows which receive low ratings even though the art/animation work is really good. Granbelm this year last I checked is sitting at around 7.0. Even if someone thinks it has no merit outside the art/animation (it fucking does, fight me), it looks drop dead gorgeous, and, for me, deserves much more recognition. Thanfully, I've actually been on r/anime as few times recently and seen it mentioned a bunch in discussions surrounding the r/anime awards which are coming up, so that's nice.

My point being there are times when high quality, expressive, creative art/animation (visuals in general) should be rewarded. But I agree with OP that putting down a show for lack of animation is... I mean people watching anime for different reasons... but I think it's unfair.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Nov 30, 2019 12:50 PM
Feb 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Mattinator95 said:

It wasn't. It was

The best CGI is when you don’t noice it’s CGI.
Nov 30, 2019 12:50 PM

Aug 2015
There are two type of people on this argument:

-Hey, it´s better than nothing.
-If it´s not good then why bother.

The thing is, people can have standards, and also, people can complain. Nowadays people are either critics of everything, or extremely forgiving. If people doesn't complain, even the most mediocre product will be sent to the customer, since they do not make any standard, so yeah, critics are fine.
Also I don´t understand why so many people care if others critic something. Like, let people be, not everyone is a conformist.
Nov 30, 2019 12:59 PM
Jul 2018
Most people (including me) don't have a very critical mindset when it comes to being able to tell what is bad/great animation/art. If it looks polished, then that's all that matters. The actual animation of most anime (that is the movement) consists primarily of very tiny movements like characters blinking, moving their mouths, maybe doing a tiny gesture like shrugging. Sure, once in a while, there will be a boost in movement in big scenes (mostly fight scenes), but if you compare 99% of the movement in animation to something like Hazbin Hotel or RWBY, it's laughable. You could make the argument that using a cartoon like Hazbin Hotel is not a good idea to compare the amount of movement, since you could say most anime's art styles are more complex than Hazbin Hotel's, therefore harder to animate, but RWBY doesn't look any different than a typical anime, yet has much MUCH more movement outside of fight scenes. The reason for this is simple: the Japanese anime market is absolutely saturated, and each individual studio is making more than one anime. Why do you think Kyoto Animation's anime not only look great, but also have much more noticeable amount of movement?: Because KyoAni makes like one anime a year. It's a case of quantity > quality. Which is unfortunately, because I think over 70% of the 40+ anime that air each season, almost nobody cares about, even those in Japan, so it's not even a smart business strategy. It's like the studios are thinking, "Let's just make a bunch of anime and hope that something sticks with the Japanese viewers!"
Nov 30, 2019 1:05 PM

Jan 2019
Yeah but if its bad im still gonna say something about it. Nobody wants to watch bad animation.
Nov 30, 2019 1:16 PM

Jul 2019
I can agree with that. Personally I'm happy with what I have and never have trouble finding anime I can enjoy, whether it's about the animation or other aspects. There's always plenty to choose from. And if I really dislike an anime, which is very rare, there are things in it that I will appreciate no matter what. However, I believe that animation in an anime is still crucial. In some cases I understand why people can be annoyed, like with OPM season 2 for exemple. But it's not only animation. Have you seen some of the threads here? I've seen people asking for all kind of things haha.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Nov 30, 2019 4:49 PM
Jul 2018
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Most people (including me) don't have a very critical mindset when it comes to being able to tell what is bad/great animation/art. If it looks polished, then that's all that matters. The actual animation of most anime (that is the movement) consists primarily of very tiny movements like characters blinking, moving their mouths, maybe doing a tiny gesture like shrugging. Sure, once in a while, there will be a boost in movement in big scenes (mostly fight scenes), but if you compare 99% of the movement in animation to something like Hazbin Hotel or RWBY, it's laughable. You could make the argument that using a cartoon like Hazbin Hotel is not a good idea to compare the amount of movement, since you could say most anime's art styles are more complex than Hazbin Hotel's, therefore harder to animate, but RWBY doesn't look any different than a typical anime, yet has much MUCH more movement outside of fight scenes. The reason for this is simple: the Japanese anime market is absolutely saturated, and each individual studio is making more than one anime. Why do you think Kyoto Animation's anime not only look great, but also have much more noticeable amount of movement?: Because KyoAni makes like one anime a year. It's a case of quantity > quality. Which is unfortunately, because I think over 70% of the 40+ anime that air each season, almost nobody cares about, even those in Japan, so it's not even a smart business strategy. It's like the studios are thinking, "Let's just make a bunch of anime and hope that something sticks with the Japanese viewers!"
+1
though Hazbin Hotel moves excessively even for western cartoon standards, so I wouldn't really use that particular example.

OT:
Anime has awful, bland animation in most of its shows imo. By western animation standards, it's laughably bad. The lip flaps that in no way syncs up to what the character is saying is something most western cartoons wouldn't be caught dead doing(which is doubly embarrassing considering that's the only thing that moves half the time). Even stuff clearly based on it with stiff animation like Lolirock lacks this problem. The lines and panning shots which persist in a lot of action anime is equally terrible. Actually, while I'm on the topic tons of panning shots are abused to make other scenes look animated as well. Then you have the scribbles around a character that's shaking(a compilation that shows almost all these problems) which is just as lazy as the vein or drop found in a lot of anime expressions.
Now in anime, you may have the occasional fluid animation cuts, but those aren't the standard and are rarely used in most shows. Oh, and also SAO has terrible looking fight scenes imo. Very little focus is actually on the moves an individual character takes, the screen goes dark with light beam slashes in certain shots, and every attack has a still frame with tons of smoke. The flow is mind-numbingly slow and the actual animation of those fights is weak, and a lot of anime fans liked it(even influential anitubers like GR and Gigguk praised it). I just don't agree that SAO has its highlight in the fight scenes and what boggles my mind is that people looked at it and thought: "oh wow, what great animation!"

As I said before it is all my opinion and I do sound too harsh at the beginning, but really that was there to show you how anime fans have standards quite low in comparison to the cartoon community when it comes to animation, at least from where I am standing. I can assure you anime fans don't "expect some miracle animation every time". It's hardly a focus at all in this community.
removed-userDec 1, 2019 7:39 AM
Nov 30, 2019 5:38 PM

Jan 2013
I see some of you didn't quite get what I tried to say. Ofcourse I agree animation should be better and getting improved on, but there is a huge difference between complaining about something and nitpicking. People complain because of slight change in animation. Complaining like a little kid about something like that is being petty. Someone also said '' You are complaining about people complaining ''. Let me say, I'm not complaining about people that are being petty, honestly I don't give two fucks about them. I'm saying facts. I wanted for other people to share their opinion about why is this happening, because I notice on episode 1 post of any show, there will be at least one person that complains about stupid shit. As someone that doesn't read manga and LNs I appreciate any show that comes out, even if its shit. Thats why I rarely give score below 6. I appreciate the effort people put in those shows, because its really hard work.
Nov 30, 2019 6:16 PM

Sep 2017
OP obviously hasn't been to an art school, or a film school, or something like that. One major point in an art school is the critique section, to hear your peers and teachers "nitpicking" everything you do so that you can have feedbacks on every details of your work. It is how every young artist improves. I bet it is the same thing with animators. In fact, the job of an animation director is exactly 'nitpicking' young animators' work and tell them to re-do and re-do the same frame again until it's up to standard. Miyazaki is famously harsh on people who work under him. But if you work with a director who uphold no standard, then mostly likely you will not improve and you will only be able to work for mediocre production. Artists are the people who constantly 'complain' about other's and their own work. Do they not appreciate art? They probably appreciate art more than you do, exactly because they honour their work with standards and a deep understanding of the skills and ideas that went into every work they criticise.

Critique definitely has a legitimate rule in any form of art. In fact, it is only after you have improved your skill in critiquing a work that you could begin to truly appreciate it. You need to know how an animation sequence could go wrong in order to appreciate the clever design and effort it is paid into it to avoid that. It's pretty much just like if you understand football better, you would enjoy watching a match on a deeper level, even though you could still enjoy it superficially if you know near to nothing about the sport. If you can't tell the bad from the good, then you're not really appreciating the good, you're not being fair. Not every one who watch anime must take themselves to be a mere fan boy. A lot of people are in fact taking artistic inspiration from anime which enriches their own artistic life, and that's why they care more deeply about the artistry of it, instead of being apathetic towards all the details and designs.
Nov 30, 2019 8:35 PM

Aug 2017
It depends of the criticism. As long it makes sense, I have no problem with it. I never drop anime, no matter how bad it is. U know why? Cuz I love anime and I can appreciate it more unlike western cartoons.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 30, 2019 8:44 PM

May 2009
@Peaceful_Critic I've heard (probably from this video) that the Japanese are less sticklers about matching lip flaps than the Americans.
Nov 30, 2019 8:58 PM
Jul 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
@Peaceful_Critic I've heard (probably from this video) that the Japanese are less sticklers about matching lip flaps than the Americans.
Yeah, that would explain why, but if lips are the only thing moving on screen it's bothersome the lip movements are done so poorly.

Edit:Oh, that video was interesting(especially when it talked about ghost stories having to keep the names and ways the ghosts dies the same as the OG version), but it talked pretty exclusively to how lip flaps relate to dubs. Nowhere did it actively state anything about why the original had lip flaps in the 1st place. I do still believe what you said is true though even if I didn't spot it in that particular video.
removed-userNov 30, 2019 9:35 PM
Nov 30, 2019 9:38 PM
May 2018
The very fact that one is able to watch anime of any kind, instead of being being poor, hungry, sick, hurt, or killed, by default makes any anime ever created the best anime of all times.
Nov 30, 2019 9:55 PM

Dec 2012
I don't think it's that big a deal if the animation studio changes for a new entry in the franchise. Do what you gotta' do to get it out there.

It is slightly disappointing if the quality drops though. I don't consider maintaining the status quo as being a high expectation, so I may drop the score slightly if something isn't as good, but I'd still enjoy it. That could be anything from the story arc not being as good to a drop in something technical like animation or music quality.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 1, 2019 12:53 PM

Jan 2013
Again I'm guessing some people in here are really dumb, and I mean really fucking dumb. I'm not talking about critique. Its one thing to critique with valid points whole another to trash talk anime like a kid because they changed hair color of a character or because they changed animation style a bit. I'm talking about how people go too far. Ofcourse people can critique someones work, without it people wouldnt improve. Thats constructive criticism, Im talking about peope who dont know shit about animation but still trash talk. Constructive criticism is above mere trash talk.

Nurguburu said:
It depends of the criticism. As long it makes sense, I have no problem with it. I never drop anime, no matter how bad it is. U know why? Cuz I love anime and I can appreciate it more unlike western cartoons.

At least someone gets it.

Psajdak said:
The very fact that one is able to watch anime of any kind, instead of being being poor, hungry, sick, hurt, or killed, by default makes any anime ever created the best anime of all times.

Exactly .
Dec 1, 2019 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
TheVenom said:
Again I'm guessing some people in here are really dumb, and I mean really fucking dumb. I'm not talking about critique. Its one thing to critique with valid points whole another to trash talk anime like a kid because they changed hair color of a character or because they changed animation style a bit. I'm talking about how people go too far. Ofcourse people can critique someones work, without it people wouldnt improve. Thats constructive criticism, Im talking about peope who dont know shit about animation but still trash talk. Constructive criticism is above mere trash talk.

Animation style? What previous style did the original DxD have? Did the new show utlize more CGI? Or do you mean art style?
Dec 1, 2019 2:51 PM

Sep 2019
I feel like if some anime fans lowered their expectations on what to expect from an anime, they could be a little less disappointed if it doesn't 100% meet up to their expectations.
Dec 1, 2019 3:05 PM

Nov 2017
If anything I feel the opposite: that people have too low expectations! I feel like I've seen more people who just kind of disregard animation all together because it's all about "the story" and characters", when I personally find animation to be important in actually telling the story and developing the characters. I remember seeing more people telling others to not be so critical and to be grateful that we're even getting any anime at all than I've seen the opposite, when I'd personally prefer to spend my limited time watching the good stuff rather than the mediocre stuff. I sometimes wonder if people truly understand the fact that the anime industry is, in fact, an industry, made up of businesses trying to make money with their products just like the film or video game industries, and that we aren't obligated to give them a free pass on bad products.

Of course, I don't actually know which kind of people are more prevalent. I probably have some kind of confirmation bias here since I generally appreciate critical examination of the things you watch, even though I'm actually rather easy to please when it comes to anime. I don't think it's wrong to dislike a show because the art and animation didn't live up to your expectations, since there are as many ways to like something as there are people experiencing it.
Dec 1, 2019 4:52 PM

Jan 2013
Peaceful_Critic said:
TheVenom said:

Animation style? What previous style did the original DxD have? Did the new show utlize more CGI? Or do you mean art style?

Art style. Point is it wasn't ruined because of diff art style, but people only know how to complain.
Dec 1, 2019 4:54 PM

Jan 2013
Vilkku92 said:
If anything I feel the opposite: that people have too low expectations! I feel like I've seen more people who just kind of disregard animation all together because it's all about "the story" and characters", when I personally find animation to be important in actually telling the story and developing the characters. I remember seeing more people telling others to not be so critical and to be grateful that we're even getting any anime at all than I've seen the opposite, when I'd personally prefer to spend my limited time watching the good stuff rather than the mediocre stuff. I sometimes wonder if people truly understand the fact that the anime industry is, in fact, an industry, made up of businesses trying to make money with their products just like the film or video game industries, and that we aren't obligated to give them a free pass on bad products.

Of course, I don't actually know which kind of people are more prevalent. I probably have some kind of confirmation bias here since I generally appreciate critical examination of the things you watch, even though I'm actually rather easy to please when it comes to anime. I don't think it's wrong to dislike a show because the art and animation didn't live up to your expectations, since there are as many ways to like something as there are people experiencing it.

Tell me.Do you invest money into anime ? Do you buy figurines , bluerays , merch ?
Dec 1, 2019 5:48 PM
Jul 2018
TheVenom said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

Art style. Point is it wasn't ruined because of diff art style, but people only know how to complain.
Ah, okay, I'm going to piss you off because I agree with the people who you had in mind when making this thread. Yeah, comparing the two I can see why someone would complain about the new art style:

I mean fanservice scenes probably aren't nearly as good. The clothes aren't as conforming since there are fewer wrinkles in the new. The old has more strands of hair along with shine being put on each which makes the hair better looking. Not to mention, the brighter colors are more childlike in effect and lighter shading is weaker in emphasizing certain parts of the art. The eyes almost lost all its contrast as the black was needed to bring out the whites, so that also got considerably worse.
The art style looks way different in all the wrong ways and is inferior when it comes to sex appeal WHICH is important for an ecchi btw. It may not ruin the whole show, but that wasn't them nitpicking.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

7 by Aletheia_xxx »»
10 seconds ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

17 by AMBITZZ »»
27 seconds ago

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

48 by KitsuFrost »»
1 minute ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

25 by KitsuFrost »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

22 by MogKnight »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.