Forum Settings
Forums

Does the anime that got you into anime still holds up?

New
Nov 14, 2019 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
Some guy on YT said that the first anime you see will automatically make you expect the same level of quality from everything after. He also said that what gets you into anime will be the show you seek out to replicate the initial experience again and again. Eventually you watch a lot of shows and build up a preference and taste from there, at least that's the theory anyway... sounds fairly reasonable to me, but who knows, humans ain't machines to be so easily predictable.

So my questions to you here are two.
What was the show that got you into anime?
And does it still hold up? If not, why?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 14, 2019 3:20 PM

Jun 2019
Death Note got me into the medium and I still have given it an 8, so yeah!

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

Nov 14, 2019 3:20 PM
Jul 2018
If ya mean like Pokemon, it's comfy nostalgia, and Digimon, at least Adventure and Tamers, holds up tremendously well on rewatches (I would dare say I appreciate Tamers now more that I'm older). If ya mean first show that wasn't edited for kids that would be Inuyasha. Well, the years have not been kind to Inuyasha, haha. I still have nostalgia for it, and I'll still take it over modern light novel bullshit any day.
removed-userNov 14, 2019 4:07 PM
Nov 14, 2019 3:22 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Yes, actually, I've rewatched it twice and it stayed at a 10/10. It's a comedic goldmine with a lot of strong ecchi while still maintaining a good enough cast to keep me invested in the sports oriented narrative it tells.

Umishou aged very well to me, like even after seeing other ecchi comedies and that becoming my favorite type of anime it's still one I hold in very high regard.

I think my generally positive view towards these shows can be ascribed to starting off with one like Umishou and why I feel like I ended up being more open minded to them, given I feel like most other people tend to start off with something standard like SAO or AoT and then hear a lot of negativity towards H&E stuff and let that affect their perception later down the road, or if they just outright conform to as much.

Nov 14, 2019 3:27 PM

May 2019
Kill La Kill is still one of my top favorites. So, absolutely!
Nov 14, 2019 3:33 PM

Feb 2018
Danganronpa The Animation.I'm not into Danganronpa anymore but I sure do look for the same genres to watch.Lets be real, that show wasn't as great as the game and tbh I gave it a 6 after rewatching.Am thankful it got me into anime tho.

Nov 14, 2019 3:36 PM

Jan 2017
Not really Uchuu Senkan Yamato was replaced by 2199.
Nov 14, 2019 3:36 PM

Mar 2016
Ouran Highschool Host Club was an odd one to get started on...but I guess it was because of my sister that it was the first anime I've ever watched, I love it still. Despite it being not to my tastes, like at all. So yeah, it still holds up.
Just an avid anime watcher of 18 years, not much else I could say about myself (that I don't want to reveal, of course, just ask if you wanna know more!)

"So...look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon and just...walk on." - Noah, Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Nov 14, 2019 3:38 PM

Jul 2012
The show that really got me into anime many years ago was Naruto. I became addicted to it and I thought it was the best show ever.
Does it still hold up for me? No. Not to say that it's a bad show, because I still like it, but it's faaaar from my favourite. I think it even wouldn't make to my top 30 nowadays.
It still holds a special place in my heart, though, because I spent 7 years watching it with my best friend.
Nov 14, 2019 3:40 PM

Jan 2019
The anime that actually got me into anime all those years back was Soul Eater and I'd definitely say that it still holds up.
Nov 14, 2019 3:43 PM

Aug 2018
One Piece , does it still hold up ? Well idk really since I'm not weekly watched I stopped watching it a while ago , I will probably come back to watch it when it finishes airing. Anyway it didn't affect my taste in anime or my expectations of other anime at all

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Nov 14, 2019 3:44 PM
Jul 2018
PyonQ said:
Some guy on YT said that the first anime you see will automatically make you expect the same level of quality from everything after. He also said that what gets you into anime will be the show you seek out to replicate the initial experience again and again. Eventually you watch a lot of shows and build up a preference and taste from there, at least that's the theory anyway... sounds fairly reasonable to me, but who knows, humans ain't machines to be so easily predictable.

Yeah, that doesn't apply to me. At all.
The show that got me into anime was Captain Tsubasa and I don't think it holds up particularly well. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Not even football fanatics.

I certainly don't use it as a standard for quality. In fact, I hold it as a shining example of mediocrity within the medium.
Nov 14, 2019 3:45 PM
Jan 2016
The one that got me into anime was Neon Genesis Evangelion back in 2013. I still watch it from time to time so I would say it still holds up lol.
Nov 14, 2019 3:45 PM

Nov 2008
Sailor Moon? Somewhat...but I have to admit, some of the villain dialogue is terrible. xD Some aspects haven't aged so well...but it's still an entertaining series.

Nov 14, 2019 3:47 PM

Sep 2017
Except for the childish ones, the first anime I've watched was Bleach, and I still consider it good despite its flaws
But I'm also glad I've watched better anime since then
Nov 14, 2019 3:48 PM

Oct 2017
Yeah I still like Dragonball OG it has it's moments. I mean even still kinda like aspects from anime like Pokemon as well though that's mainly nostalgia talking.
Nov 14, 2019 3:50 PM

Apr 2015
The anime that got me into anime was Fairy Tail. It still holds a very special place in my heart (but it's not one of my favorite anime at all). It's been a while since I've watched it (I didn't even finish watching all of the episodes oops) but I think I'd enjoy rewatching a few episodes, especially from the first season. Sooo... yeah, I guess it still holds up.
Nov 14, 2019 3:51 PM
Dec 2018
HikariShoumeiron said:
The show that really got me into anime many years ago was Naruto. I became addicted to it and I thought it was the best show ever.
Does it still hold up for me? No. Not to say that it's a bad show, because I still like it, but it's faaaar from my favourite. I think it even wouldn't make to my top 30 nowadays.
It still holds a special place in my heart, though, because I spent 7 years watching it with my best friend.
Yeah Mine too & I feel the Same Way. but it still is my top 10 Favorites.
Nov 14, 2019 3:53 PM

Feb 2016
Not at all, My first "Official" anime was Clannad, and it doesn't really age well., it might be a starter classic, but the more time passes, the more boring it feels (Specially first season) and let's not talk how forced AS is.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 14, 2019 3:56 PM

Dec 2018
My first anime was the smarthpone isekai and it was shit. My 2nd anime was Infinite Stratos, which was also shit.

Was a valuable experience since I'm much more capable of picking out better anime nowadays
Oregairu is life
Nov 14, 2019 4:00 PM

May 2014
My first probably was Cardcaptor Sakura. I will say that is a good classic to watch to me at least! I love the opening songs still to this day and listen to them from time to time!
Nov 14, 2019 4:04 PM
Feb 2018
My first anime was Death Note and I have to say it still stands as one of the few masterpieces I’ve seen in the last 4 years.

View my badges.

I don't understand what this is for.
Nov 14, 2019 4:07 PM

Jul 2017
Yeah, it really, really does. Pokemom got me into anime as a kid, I still love it, and I'm currently watching 3 different instalments of it lol

Nov 14, 2019 4:10 PM
Mar 2018
Vampire Knight does not hold up well for me at all. Then again, even when I watched it back then, I thought it was trash. So let me actually use an anime that I thought was good back then. "Gunslinger Girl".

In general, I think this anime holds up fine. It does suffer a little bit from when that early 2000s transitional period that anime was taking back then, but other than that it holds up fairly well, and I think if the kind of show Gunslinger Girl is falls in line with your tastes then you'd enjoy it.

For me personally though, it doesn't. The problem is, I've since gone out of my way to read the Manga, therefore, I have gotten the complete story. While the anime is still fine, and my thoughts on the anime haven't exactly became more negative. The problem is, the anime doesn't adapt very much of the manga. Even taking into account the 2nd season "IL Teatrino" the anime only adapts 4 out of the 15 volumes, that isn't even 1/3rd of the story. So, if I ever wanted to re-experience Gunslinger Girl, I would just read the manga at the end of the day.
Nov 14, 2019 4:14 PM

May 2018
The show that really got me into anime was Nanatsu no Taizai, and it is pretty entertaining, but I don't think it's nearly as good as some anime shows I have watched recently, but it was good enough to keep watching anime on a regular basis.
Nov 14, 2019 4:14 PM

Oct 2008
Shaman King
No I don't think it does, Its manga continuation might however. My first (official) anime wasn't popular or highly rated enough to become a classic.
Nov 14, 2019 4:22 PM
Feb 2017
The first anime I watched was A Certain Magical Index. Currently I give it a 7/10, which is passable for my ratings. So no, it definitely isn't that great but it got me into the medium.
Nov 14, 2019 4:30 PM

Oct 2013
Well there are still people out there who believe the original FMA is superior to Brotherhood, so I'd say FMA held up fairly well.
Nov 14, 2019 4:31 PM

Sep 2014
Not really. My 6 years old self watched Dragon Ball with I guess no expectation at all. I don't think I could ever watch more than 2 or 3 episodes of Dragon Ball today.
Nov 14, 2019 4:31 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
PyonQ said:
Some guy on YT said that the first anime you see will automatically make you expect the same level of quality from everything after. He also said that what gets you into anime will be the show you seek out to replicate the initial experience again and again. Eventually you watch a lot of shows and build up a preference and taste from there

I guess that guy you're referencing said something true, the very first anime I've ever watched was two of the awful DiC dubbed Sailor Moon episodes and now I find myself preferring magical girl series most of the time.

I wasn't immediately into anime so I'll just mention a couple of my first anime that gradually got me into the level of anime obsession I'm at now (sorry for the barrage of text in advance):

-----

Now that I can safely say that I've watched all 200 episodes of Sailor Moon at least three times (what the hell is wrong with me, I know, thank you for asking) in my lifetime, I think I've gotta agree with @Chiibi that the original 90s anime aged somewhat well and somewhat poorly.
Don't get me wrong, a lot of the anime is pretty iconic, like with the art, transformation scenes, seiyuu/voice acting (I hope the VA for Sailor Galaxia reprises her role like Usagi's VA did for the reboot!), and a lot of the show's very dramatic moments. But it's definitely far too long to easily recommend to anyone unless they were realizing their interest in magical girl shows (which is why I find myself recommending Sailor Moon Crystal a bit more often, even though I have some mixed opinions on it... maybe a re-watch will finalize my opinions). Some of the fashion that the characters wear are hilariously weird too.
I still like it enough to not mind rewatching once in a while, but nowadays I prefer going back to the classic manga way more. It's straight to the point, has timeless art imo, and is just an overall page turner for me.

-----

Of course, who hasn't watched Pokémon as a kid or as one of their first anime? I never really watched the anime that much aside from the movies, though. I was too much of a fan of the original video games to care about the anime lol

-----

Of course, I also watched Studio Ghibli movies earlier in my life. I don't remember which of these movies was the first one I've watched, but I definitely remember the earliest ones I've watched were Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Totoro.
I don't think I even have to say anything on this—I think anyone will agree that many of Studio Ghibli's work are timeless and still hold up very well.

-----

Another magical girl anime that contributed to my anime obsession was Cardcaptor Sakura. While Sailor Moon was my first anime, Cardcaptor Sakura was the first manga I had ever read. I lived too much under a rock to realize that this manga had received an anime long ago and didn't watch it until I was going to the 6th grade or so (I was in the 1st grade when I read Cardcaptor Sakura).
I don't remember the anime as fondly as some do (especially since I didn't watch it when it was airing in America as "Cardcaptors") or as much as Sailor Moon or even the original manga, but it was pretty good for the amount I watched of it. I really liked the expanded card list, even if some of the additions seemed kinda pointless or redundant in my 6th-grader-self's-mind. Never did finishing watching the whole series but I did watch a very good amount.
I'd say this anime still holds up as it's still pretty funny to this day—I've began showing this anime to my nephew and his friend lately (I know, I'm terrible... turning little kids into perhaps-future-otaku! Oh no... the agony!!!!). His friend in particular really loves it and regularly asks if I can try and show her the next episode whenever I have to help her with homework.

-----

I believe the last "introductory" anime that really cemented my anime obsession was either Lucky Star or Madoka Magica. Or it could be Angel Beats too? Not really sure lol, I definitely remember reading the Lucky Star manga during middle school and seeing a few clips on YouTube at the time. Madoka Magica... I pretty much loved as soon as I finished watching the whole series and Rebellion right after it. Angel Beats was pretty funny, I definitely remember it as the first anime to make me laugh right out loud consistently.
I think it's fair to say that Lucky Star holds up somewhat due to its very 2007 references. I think that Madoka Magica and Angel Beats still hold up and will be considered some of the 2010 decade's classics. Angel Beats slightly less cuz apparently not a lot of people are a fan of its tone shifts, but still.

-----

.........Sorry for the barrage of text guys
;; ; ; ;;

Nov 14, 2019 4:49 PM

Aug 2013
Pokemon comes out today so I guess yes? :)
Nov 14, 2019 4:50 PM

Nov 2008
(I know, I'm terrible... turning little kids into perhaps-future-otaku! Oh no... the agony!!!!)

@Fario-P: there's nothing 'terrible' about showing CCS to kids; it's one of the most wholesome things ever. :p

now showing them High School DxD, THAT would be terrible xD

Nov 14, 2019 10:26 PM

Jun 2016
Death Note and SAO got me into the medium and I still have given them an 9, so yeah!
Nov 14, 2019 10:49 PM

Jan 2019
I wonder how many people are gonna say Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. That was one of them for me. Its still better than most that are out nowadays. Dragonball was one of my 1st as well. Looking back on it, it wasn't really impressive.

I grew up watching all type of anime on Toonami like most Americans so yeah. There isn't really 1 that I started me watching and was like "wow man I want more Anime". I started watching Anime as a Kid, and kids back then couldn't just watch whatever they wanted to. Wait to see it on TV or buy the DvDs. Most kids don't have money and parents aren't just gonna go spending it on whatever show their child wanted to watch.
Nov 15, 2019 12:04 AM
Jul 2018
Saber Rider and Star Sherrifs: good premise mixing western and scifi, iconic characters, dub ost and localisation but mediocre as a Mecha with hardly any enemy variety later on. Purely nostalgia though good as entry mecha

Getter Robo: first season holds incredibly well. If Gurren Laggan and Nadesico pay a tribute to that series it is still a classic, though manga is even nastier

Candy Candy: soap opera classic shojo period drama with 115 episodes. Would not watch it anytime soon but it is the LOTGH equivalent of shojo.
Nov 15, 2019 12:12 AM
Jul 2019
PyonQ said:

It was Cowboy Bebop, I can't compare it to other title it's to different. I love the the title still. But the most of my favourites are different i love every title for different personal reasons.
But cowboy Bebop is unique.
Nov 15, 2019 12:28 AM

Apr 2012
I guess mine would be the first Patlabor film, but I haven't rewatched it for a couple of decades, so I don't actually know. I'd expect it to though, there's no obvious reason why it wouldn't.
Nov 15, 2019 12:39 AM
Sep 2018
The theory with similarities of drugs addictions. Say so is true in my case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 15, 2019 1:14 AM

Aug 2016
first anime was DanMachi, but here starts interesting part, it was fine i guess, but didn't got me to be anime addict, but then friend told me to give it another try with Tokyo Ghoul(loved that shit back then). Now it's hella trash(anime atleast, haven't read manga). From + 1st season still watchable, 2 characters from that show is still my top10 favs, and i got to know that I enjoy dark theme anime more then funny, happy ones.
Nov 15, 2019 1:43 AM

Sep 2008
watched eva around 2000, it wasn't the first show I watched, but it was among the first few. it's the one show that made me seek out more anime. I have to say, I've been through 1000 entries trying to find something better, equally good or at least similar.
what I got instead was constantly declining quality, literal evangelion clones, and eva references out of the ass to this day.
I want something to replace it, NOT to relive the same experience a thousand times in worse packages (this applies to the rebuilds as well.) I want the industry to get over it already.
not to say I havn't enjoyed myself all this time with other entries of course, I've found plenty to make this journey worth. but as the industry is today, we'll never get a serious story with broken characters and great art+animation combo.
gainax split up. twice.
madhouse went bankrupt.
shaft's animators left.
the only studio that gives a shit about animation is ufotable now.
every other place is just trying to flood the market with as much trash adaptations as possible, just riding the isekai fad with no quality control.

when I say evangelion is the best one I've seen, I'm not saying it with pride, but sadness. gainax had insanely talented animators back then, and cel animation had a charm that digital anime did not replace. see how I didn't say couldn't or can't? it's entirely possible but the industry is using their newfound tools for laziness instead of creativity. (save for a few studios)
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Nov 15, 2019 1:44 AM

Jul 2016
What, Naruto? Fuck yeah, it does. Minus the filler, it's still one of my favourites
Nov 15, 2019 1:52 AM
Jul 2019
I got into anime through dbz. The Saiyan, frieze, and cell arcs were great but the buu arc ruined almost everything. The only thing that don’t hold up well for me was the buu arc while everything else was good.
Nov 15, 2019 1:52 AM
Sep 2019
Naruto got me into anime. Not my first show. Dragon Ball, Voltes V, Pokemon all came before that. All great shows, then and now. But Naruto really was the starting point of a never ending love of anime. Sadly, it’s not as I remember. i rewatched it and I feel like I outgrew it. Not to say it’s bad. Still a good sow. And it’ll always be special to me.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Nov 15, 2019 5:54 AM

Feb 2015
Dragon Ball Z still holds up as one of the best battle shounen, even to this day. From what I've watched, I'd only rate Fairy Tail above DBZ. Everything else pales in comparison.
Nov 15, 2019 6:33 AM
Feb 2014
First ever anime that I watched was Samurai X(around 75 episodes). When I watched it, I was like 10 years old. Years later I tried to watch the remaining episodes of the series, could not enjoy it anymore. Felt like stupid kid's show.
My second anime that really got me into anime was Death Note which stands as my favorite to this day. Then I watched some ghibli movies and got addicted...
Nov 15, 2019 6:54 AM
Jan 2018
Death note.Still holds up.
It's the first anime I recommend to anyone who is new to anime.It has its flaws but it still remains as one of my favorites
Nov 15, 2019 6:59 AM
Jan 2017
PyonQ said:

Interesting theory, but I don't even remember what got me into anime and frankly, I don't care. I highly doubt my tastes were built on a show I don't even remember. Also, I can like radically different anime so this theory sounds kinda forced.
Plus, there are too many other factors that can influence one's tastes. If it was that easy, we would've been worse than we are now as a race.
Nov 15, 2019 7:01 AM
Jan 2017
Hc_21 said:
It's the first anime I recommend to anyone who is new to anime.It has its flaws but it still remains as one of my favorites

What are those flaws you are referring to?
Nov 15, 2019 7:05 AM
Jan 2018
KarimEdward said:
Hc_21 said:

What are those flaws you are referring to?

Basically every second thing from episode 26-32ish
Nov 15, 2019 7:12 AM

Jul 2019
I got into anime with one piece. Yes, I still watch it and I have re-watched it 3 times.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» show me your anime 3x3

707supremacist - 5 hours ago

30 by Rhae »»
1 minute ago

» How would you describe modern mainstream anime? ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - 12 hours ago

53 by DigiCat »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 3 )

Hickykissy - Apr 30

133 by Intasa »»
5 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9085 by appledude1221 »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy talking about anime you dislike?

Catalano - May 3

46 by Merve2Love »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.