Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 20, 2019 4:30 AM

Jan 2011
Uh, pretty sure trying to throw off their focus like that can get you penalised.

Mitsue sure seems into despite her claims to otherwise.
Nov 20, 2019 9:21 PM

Nov 2014
this_shit_again said:
ttcchen said:

1. I don't play professional tennis, so I don't know if the rules for professional tennis is different from amateur tennis.

Me neither.

ttcchen said:

2. I play hard tennis not soft. And one major rule differing the two is the way you call scores. For hard tennis it's "fifteen love for 15-0" which is 1-0 in terms of soft tennis. So as you can see the two are vastly different when it comes to rules.

That's a superficial change, and at least according to the USTA, you're allowed to use 0, 1, 2, 3 numbering for point calling if you prefer. Soft tennis is an offshoot of tennis, some things changed and some stayed the same. I'd say the biggest difference between the two is the ball change. It changes the whole dynamic of the game. The changes to the rules are mostly made to account for that. In any case, hindrance is more of a code of conduct rule, it's something that occurs in both games and the umpire has the discretion to deal with it.

ttcchen said:

3. US rules and Japanese rules are going to be different.

So you can't say for sure this is against the rules in Hoshiai no Sora cause you have to take in consideration the geographical location (japanese), the fact they're playing soft tennis, the fact they're just amateurs on a school team, and such.

True. So I'll refer you to the Japan Soft Tennis Association's Manner Book which also discourages that type of behaviour.
i read through it, and the only part that talked about player behavior that's against the rules is if one player threatens the other. it didn't mention anything about talking to your opponent to distract them.
Nov 20, 2019 11:56 PM

Apr 2015
We're in the confine of a fictional work guys. I know what Tsubasa and Shingo was against any sportsmanship rules but I'm definitely willing to let it slide if they don't repeat this behavior again in future matches.
I mean, I've played hard tennis for so many years and more competitive recently and that stuff would never slide in any official match at least, blowing some steam in-between points is fine but keep it respectful, you're not alone on the court.

At the end, their performance was dang hilarious, I was rolling and laughing just like Ouji lol.
Nov 21, 2019 3:58 AM

Nov 2019
ttcchen said:
i read through it, and the only part that talked about player behavior that's against the rules is if one player threatens the other. it didn't mention anything about talking to your opponent to distract them.

First item on page 10, following the rules in accordance with sportsmanship and maintaining fair play. Shouting nonsensically the moment the ball is about to touch your opponent's racket in an effort to break their concentration qualifies under that umbrella.

And the last item on page 10 (if I understood it right), players should refrain from shouting/saying words towards their opponent that would make them feel uncomfortable.
Nov 21, 2019 6:13 PM

Dec 2014
Best episode till date.

Those guys calling out attack names to throw off the opponent was hilarious. It's definitely not in the sport of the game, but man was it funny. xD

Maki and Toma's game was pretty interesting, looking forward to more of that and Maki's idea.
Nov 22, 2019 5:20 PM

Sep 2018
That's what happen when you underestimate your opponent!
Takenouchi x Soga pair is so hilarious! Shouting name of moves is really funny xD
Dec 6, 2019 1:59 PM

Apr 2016
this_shit_again said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

Welcome to real life.

Okay, now let me tell you how real life works within the confines of competitive tennis.

Physical acts of violence will get you suspended in tournaments and even with tennis competitions between schools, I can't imagine letting a match continue when that happens.

If you engage in deliberate acts of hindrance, the umpire will penalise you. Your opponent will win the point, everytime you do it.

Since the umpire is a member of the opposing school, it is unlikely that he would just let all this pass.

It could've been a good episode, but that match was especially problematic.

Buddy it's a comedy sequence chill out
Dec 10, 2019 8:52 PM

May 2016
Okay the my score for Hoshiai no Sora is quite low... why? Well...

1. The choice of hard work for genius (our protagonist) really bothers me a lot in any sports anime.
2. You can't beat the champion (not even a game) after a few days of hard work, which ironically contradicts point one.
3. The hell with that impossible serves (hey! I hate Tennis no Oujisama for that too), and you know, the stamina.
4. The repetitive and inconsistent drama when they are not playing.
5. That violence... are you kids? Oh yeah you are, but that doesn't make the characters better, rather pathetic.

*sigh*
Jan 14, 2020 5:15 PM

Aug 2017
Finally, an episode only focused on the soft tennis club without any dumb drama happening.

3/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 4, 2020 11:03 AM

Aug 2018
This episode was good
- complete -
7/10
Feb 21, 2020 2:23 PM

Jun 2014
Misaki is tough, although they're doing pretty good against them considering all things.

Maki and Touma are having trouble, but Maki has a plan. Will it work?

Mar 30, 2020 5:21 AM

Jul 2015
I honestly didn't expected that strategy, how is that not illegal, still funny though

Not too suprised by the fact most of them lost but still impressive of them to take at least one game considering their losing streak

I'm glad that this anime didn't let them will all games because of plot, but still keeps it somewhat reasonable

Apr 5, 2020 9:21 AM

Aug 2015
So far it's not fully catching my attention, but this one had some interesting parts.
I like how every pair has their own strategy.
Aug 29, 2020 10:46 PM
Oct 2019
Much more interesting. My anger from the previous episode has subsided for now.
Mar 2, 2021 7:30 AM

May 2015
this was the funniest tennis game i've ever watched
No matter who much you regret or wish,
if you couldn't do something in life,
you can't do it after death, either.
- Hanako
Aug 4, 2021 1:36 PM

Jan 2021
Shingo/Tsubasa pair Are so hilarious!!XD
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Who let Kathleen Kennedy to make anime?

LostInLove - Apr 24

8 by Takami_Fumikage »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2019

238 by thatguyevan »»
Apr 11, 9:46 PM

» "Special Fan Movie" Has Been Released

zamandzoe - May 20, 2020

22 by quietkun27 »»
Feb 23, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

130 by Limi »»
Dec 24, 2023 6:31 AM

» Continuation...

Kurdo - Apr 19, 2021

19 by DmonHiro »»
Nov 25, 2023 4:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.