Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 3, 2020 3:12 PM

Jun 2017
I just watched it too (found it to be a blast!) and have to say this backstory raised more questions than answers. It really puts things into perspective how Subaru is just a small droplet in this overall universe.
Apr 3, 2020 4:06 PM
Aug 2016
swirlydragon said:
This OVA gets a manga adaptation :)

Tbh there were still many things that this OVA didn't animate like Melakuera's backstory, Puck vs Roswaal, etc which were present in the novel so I believe that's why it is getting a manga adaptation.
But overall, I still loved this OVA. EMT! Can't wait to read the manga. I'll also buy the novel.

@CondemneDio

This username seems familiar. Must be because of my old days in CE and CD.

Then i don't understand why they did an Ova if they skipped important things like that. I just finished watching it and i honestly don't really know how to connect properly this story to the present.
Apr 4, 2020 2:44 AM

Jul 2017
The second half of the OVA (if were to put Memory Snow and this as an entire movie package) was kinda OK, with the preceding Memory Snow being moments where the Re:Zero cast can lay low and have some fun, and Frozen Bonds highlighting on Emilia and her "beginning of the end" moments as the "Witch of Envy" imitation and Puck the lesser spirit constantly beside her to protect her from harm its entire life. And if anyone is asking, it'll be best (or rather, more appropriate) to watch both OVAs together in a binge.

The moments of EMT really aren't enough to exonerate her as the one sole main character that held Re:Zero as the novel series stretches its legs, even in the spin-offs (such as this OVA). Even Puck the lesser spirit that held her spirits high each and everytime, being bounded by a contract is the only way out for both of them. ALL THIS, and before Natsuki Subaru entered the picture.

Though I did admit that the whole fiasco between both of them and Melakuera got overblown as much as EMT is concerned. That was the low moment, and easily by a count.

Overall, the core of the OVA got stretched to its knees with Emilia and Puck's relationship, and not missing that point was important.

Everything is done: Season 1 (original + Director's Cut) and these 2 OVAs, now awaiting Season 2 3 months from now.
Apr 4, 2020 4:01 AM

Feb 2018
Pack vs Phoenix horse idk forgot name lol.
Apr 4, 2020 8:21 AM

May 2015
I hope we'll learn who the person from the witch cult in the flackbacks was. I thought it was a young Petelgeuse because of the hair color but it seems unlikely. (I haven't read the LN)
Apr 4, 2020 8:48 AM

Mar 2014
sorry, but did that horse spirit appear in the LN? i just cant remember him at all. tho i read arc 4 few years ago, maybe i simply forgot him for all the clusterf*ck that all happened within that arc lmaooo

currently at arc 5 chapter 43. i just recently picked it up again so please dont go beyond that. thanks
why am i so well drawn into time travel stories?
do i really have that many regrets?
Apr 4, 2020 10:14 AM

Jun 2019
Exablade said:
I hope we'll learn who the person from the witch cult in the flackbacks was. I thought it was a young Petelgeuse because of the hair color but it seems unlikely. (I haven't read the LN)

You'll learn about it in season 2. ;)
envy__ said:
sorry, but did that horse spirit appear in the LN? i just cant remember him at all. tho i read arc 4 few years ago, maybe i simply forgot him for all the clusterf*ck that all happened within that arc lmaooo

currently at arc 5 chapter 43. i just recently picked it up again so please dont go beyond that. thanks

Not in the main story, only in of the side stories. Puck killed him in this OVA and that was before Subaru's arrival.
Apr 4, 2020 10:28 AM

Mar 2014
Not in the main story, only in of the side stories. Puck killed him in this OVA and that was before Subaru's arrival.[/quote]

i see. no wonder i cant remember him. guess ill read the side stories when i have the time
why am i so well drawn into time travel stories?
do i really have that many regrets?
Apr 4, 2020 11:03 AM

Jan 2019
Just watched it. It was ok, but for me it's an 8 compared to the 10 I gave to the main serie. I was expexting this film, but I had better expectation on it. I mean, the story is interesting, but I hoped to know more(what happened when Emilia and all the elves were frozen, why Puck wanted to protect her, how did her meet Roswaal and many other things...)
Apr 4, 2020 11:18 AM

Jan 2017
Askaa said:
i think they show us a little from the Puck vs Roswaal in ova 1
right ?

Yeah, but just a glimpse

Hebi_op said:

Then i don't understand why they did an Ova if they skipped important things like that. I just finished watching it and i honestly don't really know how to connect properly this story to the present.

Patience, dude. Most of the important things were not skipped. Season 2 will go into more depth anyway. Furthermore, they can't put everything in a 1 hour movie.

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Apr 4, 2020 2:41 PM

Sep 2014
Pretty good. I actually start to care about Emilia now. Which is huge after all these years of Rem circlejerking. Really glad season 2 comes out soon.

"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 4, 2020 3:04 PM

Aug 2013
Wow. It completely changed my image of Emilia.
And Takahashi Rie was... Just perfect.
Yukino_Sama said:
CondemneDio said:

I'll watch whatever the fuck I want, thank you very much.

Ok...But if you're a Rem fanboy who watch the anime for only Rem, then better don't try to watch season 2.

Welp, I'm Remfag too, but I'd never say that this OVA proves how bland Emilia is (the opposite if anything). This is just plain stupidity.
rsc-plApr 4, 2020 3:07 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 4, 2020 3:48 PM

May 2018
Hakaishin99 said:
Just watched it. It was ok, but for me it's an 8 compared to the 10 I gave to the main serie. I was expexting this film, but I had better expectation on it. I mean, the story is interesting, but I hoped to know more(what happened when Emilia and all the elves were frozen, why Puck wanted to protect her, how did her meet Roswaal and many other things...)

I didn't read this LN, but I think some information was hidden on purpose so as not to spoil season 2.

Apr 4, 2020 4:07 PM

Sep 2014
rsc-pl said:
Yukino_Sama said:

Ok...But if you're a Rem fanboy who watch the anime for only Rem, then better don't try to watch season 2.

Welp, I'm Remfag too, but I'd never say that this OVA proves how bland Emilia is (the opposite if anything). This is just plain stupidity.
Speaking of VAs. Is that Sakatmoto Maaya as the witch in the beginning? Nice.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 4, 2020 7:33 PM

Oct 2015
Comander-07 said:
rsc-pl said:

Comander-07 said:
rsc-pl said:

seems like it. Even I remember someone from reddti say she wrote in her own twitter she will be voicing a "tricky witch" character.
Apr 4, 2020 7:42 PM

May 2012
Strange story plot + characters were acting like a person with mental disorder. Sadly I don't have a clue what that all was about. I hope they explain it i second season.

BTW, this horse thing was stupid and so strange, is he even in novel? Petelgeuse with all his madness was more logical and likeable.

As much as I like first OVA I hate this one. What's more Emilia is portrayed as really dull and stupid. Because of my all liking to her from first season I will just pretend I didn't see that OVA.

Nothing happend, lets move along.

Trolls are miserable and that's why they troll. They wish to make other people miserable so that they can feel better about themselves. They are also reaching out for the attention that they don't get in the physical world.
Apr 5, 2020 3:57 PM
Dec 2016
Just came out on home DVD Finished watching it and man, it sure it dark and gritty. Emilia taking those sufferings was so unfair for her age! Also, we get to see Puck and Emilia's contract. That was amazing. Upbeat way to end with. Also Subaru reappearance =O.

LET IT BE SEASON 2 ALREADY!!!!!!!
Apr 6, 2020 3:49 AM
Feb 2016
I still don't understand Emilia backstory that much tho. The story is abt Emilia meeting Puck anyways so that didn't bother much but goddamn poor Emilia, she's being ostracised because she resembles Satella.....A bit touching and I'm a fan of Emilia anyway aannndd more Rezero is always a welcome. It's been fucking 4 years. Really looking forward to season 2.
Anguish_one7Apr 6, 2020 3:52 AM
Apr 6, 2020 12:26 PM

Mar 2010
Anguish_one7 said:
I still don't understand Emilia backstory that much tho. The story is abt Emilia meeting Puck anyways so that didn't bother much but goddamn poor Emilia, she's being ostracised because she resembles Satella.....A bit touching and I'm a fan of Emilia anyway aannndd more Rezero is always a welcome. It's been fucking 4 years. Really looking forward to season 2.

The origin of why she trapped in the ice in first place will be explained in S2. This story just takes place after that.
Apr 8, 2020 5:17 PM
Mar 2015
Great background for Emila's relationship with Puck
Apr 11, 2020 4:16 PM

Nov 2017
I thought this prequel was gonna be about roswaal and how that all went about. But we even got further. Emilia has one hell of a history. Usually these prequel ova movie thingies should solve a few questions of the main series but I only got more and more questions with those frozen elves and who froze that forest. Why was Emilia frozen and why was she unfrozen by Puck. What is Puck’s history even before all of this. Who did he make a contract with before Emilia was I all thinking. Welp hopefully we get bits of all this in season 2 this fall.

plz @ me
Apr 14, 2020 8:25 AM

Dec 2015
I thought this would explain some stuff but it honestly made me more confused. I still don't fully understand what happened with the people on the forest, what happened with Emilia memories (before she was in ice), why Puck already liked Emilia and felt sorry for not meeting her before. They should have also explain more about the spirits and how they function, specially about contracts, and I was also hoping they showing how did they met Roswall. And those are only the stuff I remember wanting to know when watching this. Really do hope they explain more on Season 2. But I can't say it was bad, since you can understand Emilia's suffering, making the story a good watch, and it had a pretty good soundtrack
BetterTasteApr 14, 2020 4:00 PM
Apr 19, 2020 1:20 AM

Feb 2015
It was slow and solved not much questions, I think it could be interesting to find out where does Emilia and Puck’s relation comes from, but only that. It got interesting like around the half of the show, Emilia’s background is a mystery but not as a character (at least for me) and I didn’t find much here, she’s still the daughter or reincarnation of an elder witch and I know no more.
Apr 23, 2020 3:27 PM

Jan 2013
It was cool learning more about Puck and Emilia.
Definitely explains a lot more about their relationship.

Apr 25, 2020 9:16 AM
Apr 2020
This was just utter trash, it doesn't matter how much screentime she is given, she's a shitty character and can never match Rem
Apr 26, 2020 2:37 PM

Jul 2014
@024 @thiago52192
Season 2 should answer all of your questions :-)
If you do not mind spoilers, PM me and I will try to answer them for you :-)

As for the OVA, it was especially great for me as I've already read arc 4, so I knew what happened to Emilia before she met Puck.
Apr 29, 2020 10:27 PM

May 2019
Puck: "no one will ever love you as much as i do, Emilia"

Subaru: You are so cute, End's Beast.

Emilia: "I desperate need someone sane to befriend"

Wildfire: Sara, i'll protect you. Also.. "I JUDGE. EXECUTION. EQUILIBRIUM"

--------------

This movie was just a excuse to show how Emilia is badass, and she really dont need the help of Subaru for any moment. In fact, she alone could have deal with most of the enemies in the 1st season. Psycho girl? Dogbeasts? Stupid cultists? SHE JUST DEFEATED A LITERAL SEA OF ACID MORTAL SLIME, ALONE.

Why does got nerfed that much after meet Rosswall?
Apr 30, 2020 2:58 AM

Jul 2014
Rob7 said:
Season 2 should answer that question.
Apr 30, 2020 4:01 AM

May 2019
Hope so! Cause Lia just came from japanese Frozen's Elza to a "damsel in distress" by the end of S1.
Apr 30, 2020 11:59 AM

Mar 2010
Oof this has been out, but damn just watched it on Cr twas a great movie. I'm guessing puck is actually her elf dad in spirit form?

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 30, 2020 2:28 PM

Jul 2014
Rob7 said:
Hope so! Cause Lia just came from japanese Frozen's Elza to a "damsel in distress" by the end of S1.
I've read the source material, so I know the answer is there :)

It should make it into the anime, but we will know for sure when it airs.
May 1, 2020 8:17 AM

May 2018
Rob7 said:
Puck: "no one will ever love you as much as i do, Emilia"

Subaru: You are so cute, End's Beast.

Emilia: "I desperate need someone sane to befriend"

Wildfire: Sara, i'll protect you. Also.. "I JUDGE. EXECUTION. EQUILIBRIUM"

--------------

This movie was just a excuse to show how Emilia is badass, and she really dont need the help of Subaru for any moment. In fact, she alone could have deal with most of the enemies in the 1st season. Psycho girl? Dogbeasts? Stupid cultists? SHE JUST DEFEATED A LITERAL SEA OF ACID MORTAL SLIME, ALONE.

not really, after all she died a few times on S1
May 1, 2020 11:12 AM

May 2019
MaouHero said:

That is the point. Compared with how badass she is in the movie (before the events of the series), she got nerfed.

The Emilia who destroyed a bunch of Giant Demon-Yetis, who defeat a mob of bandits with barehand fight skills, and finally stopped a ocean of acid mortal living goo, would not be easily killed by Bethelgeuse (or that assassin chic).

The same way as in the ep. 18 Puck in bestial form effortless defeated him. Emilia's frozen explosion or even the ice blood-draining flowers would be enough.

In the TV series, Emilia current powers are only limited freezing and ice shard bullets.
May 1, 2020 2:05 PM

Mar 2010
Rob7 said:
MaouHero said:

That is the point. Compared with how badass she is in the movie (before the events of the series), she got nerfed.

The Emilia who destroyed a bunch of Giant Demon-Yetis, who defeat a mob of bandits with barehand fight skills, and finally stopped a ocean of acid mortal living goo, would not be easily killed by Bethelgeuse (or that assassin chic).

The same way as in the ep. 18 Puck in bestial form effortless defeated him. Emilia's frozen explosion or even the ice blood-draining flowers would be enough.

In the TV series, Emilia current powers are only limited freezing and ice shard bullets.

Emilia just strong she in the main series, she just held back less. Emilia's problems have nothing to do with strength to begin with. Being string doesn't make you inflaibel. Wilhelm is one of the strongest characters in the series and even he got injuried or nearly died.
May 1, 2020 2:22 PM

May 2019
Jagd84 said:
Wilhelm is one of the strongest characters in the series and even he got injuried or nearly died.

(Without spoilers, please) Certainly it was not due an enemy as weak as (that) Bethelgeuse defeated by Subaru and cia.

For example, ok, we can agree that in her 1st death in the TV series, she was got unwary by the assassin bitc*, but when the cultists stormed the mansion that was not the case.

Even if in the Tv series she remained the same powers she has in this movie, holding back when you are facing death at the point of leave the enemy kill you, is a indication that at least in personality she got nerfed.
May 1, 2020 2:41 PM
Nov 2019
Did I miss something - when Puck made the contract with Emila - he said something about being in another contract with someone and he couldn't tell her who... (about 1:01 runtime)

Was Puck responsible for the forest freezing?

Is she afraid of using her powers in case she becomes the witch, or have they been locked away inside Puck when she made the contract.
May 1, 2020 2:51 PM

Jul 2014
@Rob7
It can't be explained without spoilers from season 2.

The prequel novel this anime adapts was released in Japan when arc 4 in the main series was almost completely published. So for LNs readers in Japan it made perfect sense why Emilia appeared to be so OP.

Hints for that reason were already present in season 1 (arcs 1-3; they did not make any sense until you've read arc 4, tho) and are also present in this OVA.

penrhos said:
Did I miss something - when Puck made the contract with Emila - he said something about being in another contract with someone and he couldn't tell her who... (about 1:01 runtime)
That must have been a mistranslation by the fansubbers. It was called an oath in CR subs.

penrhos said:
Was Puck responsible for the forest freezing?

Is she afraid of using her powers in case she becomes the witch, or have they been locked away inside Puck when she made the contract.
Season 2 will answer those questions.
mozgowMay 1, 2020 2:56 PM
May 1, 2020 8:37 PM

May 2019
Ple
mozgow said:
@Rob7

Hints for that reason were already present in season 1 (arcs 1-3; they did not make any sense until you've read arc 4, tho) and are also present in this OVA.

Are you speaking about the WN, the LN or the anime itself?

I've read the beggining of Arc 4 (LN 10), but before that i just had followed the anime and manga, and beyond that, ill wait for the 2nd anime season.

Although i don't want to see spoilers, but i'm deadly curious now about these hints already exhibited. I guess just highlight it without explanations is harmless.

If it is present in the anime, let me guess:

1. Rosswall saying that this objective is to defeat the dragon;
2. Puck going to destroy the world after Emilia's death;
3. Bethelgeuse saying that they want her body to revive the witch.
4. The contract between Emilia and Puck (wich is not clear about its terms in this ova)

Am i right or there are other points? Thanks!
May 1, 2020 9:06 PM

May 2018
Rob7 said:
MaouHero said:

Come on, this is not a power that Emilia can control, and even the Pack did everything she could to not use it, after he he made contract with her, he can better control it. At no time is it denied that Emilia is strong, in episode 23 she kills the petelgeuse. Just think of Ram when he was a child, she was much stronger than the cultists who attacked her village, but she was still defeated.
May 2, 2020 4:36 AM

Jul 2014
Rob7 said:
Are you speaking about the WN, the LN or the anime itself?
If I remember correctly all the hints were present in the anime.

Rob7 said:
Although i don't want to see spoilers, but i'm deadly curious now about these hints already exhibited. I guess just highlight it without explanations is harmless.

If it is present in the anime, let me guess:

1. Rosswall saying that this objective is to defeat the dragon;
2. Puck going to destroy the world after Emilia's death;
3. Bethelgeuse saying that they want her body to revive the witch.
4. The contract between Emilia and Puck (which is not clear about its terms in this ova)

Am i right or there are other points? Thanks!
Points 1-3 have nothing to do with that reason, but point 4 is pretty close (but probably for the wrong reasons :D)

Other hints are hidden in what Beatrice and Puck say and do. The reason is hidden in (not a real spoiler but some people might not want to read it)
May 2, 2020 10:34 AM

Oct 2017
To sum up, this is a movie which tries to explain things that didn't explain in the original serie but ended up explain absolutely nothing...

What do we call movie like this? Yes, filler. A high budget filler movie.

Why is she hated? We still don't know. (That mediatiator shit is like a retarded lawyer who judge people just because)

Why did Puck care so much about Emilia? We still don't know. (He cared about her since the start of the movie so all those stuffs showcase in the movie explain nothing)

Who's that horse guy? We don't know.

Why's this horse guy think it's ok to release that black goo thing that totally destroy everything and ruin nature balance but then judge Emilia as danger despite he's the cause of all the damage?

Why's this goddamn forest inhabited with all those extremely dangerous beasts to begin with yet human still think it's good to build a village near that place with 0 defense capability?

We literally get 0 information from this movie aside from things we already knew from the original serie. (Puck cares about Emilia, Everyone hates Emilia cuz of her appearance, yes we got that from the original serie already, why do we need a bloated movie to showcase all these again?)

I expect way more than this...
I think they should just make the movie about Crusch's backstory because the story is WAYYYY more interesting than this filler movie.

Story (2/10)
Visual (8/10)
Animation (7/10)
Music (5/10) Coming from a serie with amazing soundtrack in the original, the music in this movie is surprisingly lacking.
Enjoyment (4/10) This movie has 0 charm from the original serie. It just confirm that Emilia is a boring/static character... I prefer to watch Subaru way more..

Overall: 6/10. (I round up the score out of favouritism for this serie.)
Ventus_SMay 2, 2020 10:48 AM
May 2, 2020 8:23 PM

Jan 2013
yea this Emilia-Puck story did nothing for me. it was mostly the Puck show (for me) and Puck was total badass but alot is lacking

also lol that Puck and that horse’s conversation during the climax felt like people (puck) trying to argue with devote racists (horse)
May 3, 2020 4:24 AM

May 2018
Ventus_S said:
To sum up, this is a movie which tries to explain things that didn't explain in the original serie but ended up explain absolutely nothing...

Why is she hated? We still don't know. (That mediatiator shit is like a retarded lawyer who judge people just because)

Why did Puck care so much about Emilia? We still don't know. (He cared about her since the start of the movie so all those stuffs showcase in the movie explain nothing)

Why's this horse guy think it's ok to release that black goo thing that totally destroy everything and ruin nature balance but then judge Emilia as danger despite he's the cause of all the damage?

Why's this goddamn forest inhabited with all those extremely dangerous beasts to begin with yet human still think it's good to build a village near that place with 0 defense capability?

We literally get 0 information from this movie aside from things we already knew from the original serie. (Puck cares about Emilia, Everyone hates Emilia cuz of her appearance, yes we got that from the original serie already, why do we need a bloated movie to showcase all these again?)

I think they should just make the movie about Crusch's backstory because the story is WAYYYY more interesting than this filler movie.

Story (2/10)
Visual (8/10)
Animation (7/10)
Music (5/10) Coming from a serie with amazing soundtrack in the original, the music in this movie is surprisingly lacking.
Enjoyment (4/10) This movie has 0 charm from the original serie. It just confirm that Emilia is a boring/static character... I prefer to watch Subaru way more..

Where did you get that that was the purpose of this OVA? The aim of this OVA was to show Emilia's relationship with the Pack and show how she felt. It was obvious that there would not be many answers, it’s not the main show.
"Why is she hated?" Because she looks like the witch!

“Why's this horse guy think it's ok to release that black goo thing that totally destroy everything and ruin nature balance but then judge Emilia as danger despite he's the cause of all the damage?” Because for him, emilia can destroy the world, which is much more dangerous.
May 3, 2020 12:23 PM

Oct 2017
MaouHero said:
Ventus_S said:

Story (2/10)
Visual (8/10)
Animation (7/10)

Where did you get that that was the purpose of this OVA? The aim of this OVA was to show Emilia's relationship with the Pack and show how she felt. It was obvious that there would not be many answers, it’s not the main show.

“Why's this horse guy think it's ok to release that black goo thing that totally destroy everything and ruin nature balance but then judge Emilia as danger despite he's the cause of all the damage?” Because for him, emilia can destroy the world, which is much more dangerous.

Like I said we got all those info from the original series already. (It is reminded so many time Emilia looks like Envy witch so everyone hated her in the original serie already, what do you expect?)
Yet we knew nothing about her origin.
The horse guy also never bother to give a valid reasoning.
All we knew is Emilia has hidden power within her which she can hardly control, that seem to be the main reason why she's being chased down.

We also knew nothing about why Puck care about Emilia so much since their relationship was exactly the same as Puck in the main serie since the beginning of the movie.
Puck clearly treasure Emilia since the start of the movie, so we don't know anything about how Puck become so fund of Emilia to begin with.
All it adds is the moment when they make contract and that's it.

This film add nothing more to what we already knew about Emilia and Puck which is truly sad.

It's like I said a filler movie.

Why didn't they just make a movie about Crusch , which is the backstory come directly from the light novel, which is far more interesting and add some backstory to other characters?
Ventus_SMay 3, 2020 12:30 PM
May 3, 2020 1:44 PM

May 2018
Ventus_S said:
MaouHero said:

Like I said we got all those info from the original series already. (It is reminded so many time Emilia looks like Envy witch so everyone hated her in the original serie already, what do you expect?)
Yet we knew nothing about her origin.
The horse guy also never bother to give a valid reasoning.
All we knew is Emilia has hidden power within her which she can hardly control, that seem to be the main reason why she's being chased down.

We also knew nothing about why Puck care about Emilia so much since their relationship was exactly the same as Puck in the main serie since the beginning of the movie.
Puck clearly treasure Emilia since the start of the movie, so we don't know anything about how Puck become so fund of Emilia to begin with.
All it adds is the moment when they make contract and that's it.

This film add nothing more to what we already knew about Emilia and Puck which is truly sad.

It's like I said a filler movie.

Why didn't they just make a movie about Crusch , which is the backstory come directly from the light novel, which is far more interesting and add some backstory to other characters?

and no, this OVA is also from an LN, it is not a filler. and haven't added anything new?
did you know that Emilia had been stuck in the ice? that the Pack was ordered by someone to watch her?
did you know all those magical beasts?
did you know about the war that the bandit quotes when trying to kidnap Emilia in the forest?
that there is a lot of prejudice even if you are not a silver-haired half-elf?
And the venom of the black serpent, have you seen it?

is not a filler, it was made for you to identify more with Emilia and to make connections with season 2. Many of the questions raised here will be answered in season 2.
May 8, 2020 3:26 PM

Jun 2014
Slightly better than the first OVA, but it was still dull and too melodramatic lol
Rely on nothing under heaven
May 8, 2020 8:23 PM

May 2013
Kind of underwhelming seeing how the adaptation cut away quite some parts and we ended up dealing with an extended flashback episode that had a few pacing issues here and there. Given the time length, I felt a lot of it could have been added but I'm not the one calling the shots.

Tidbit of foreboding about Season 2 were thrown nonetheless and I think this was just something not for the fans of the anime but actually the readers of the novels to be engaged with before Season 2 rolls out, as the latter can join the dots much better. The OVA did raise more questions than it should have answered, which is not surprising since it's Tappei Nagatsuki after all, lmao.

I perhaps see how some parts will fail to connect with people who don't have prior-information on the events of Season 2 (or Arc 4 of the story).

Great voice acting in general, and I think settling in on Rie Takahashi as a voice actress in the series was a very good move.

As for the anime, I take it that this OVA is meant to be watched right after the Memory snow OVA, before Subaru heads to the Royal court after which hell breaks loose. Not sure which episode it could fit into in the Director's Cut though.
KreatorXMay 8, 2020 9:56 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
May 16, 2020 11:03 PM
Jul 2018
That was pretty bad... All of the yelling of "YOU'RE HATED BECAUSE YOU'RE A HALF ELF" was tiring as f to sit through. We already understood that from the main series and this OVA didn't feel like it added a damn thing to the world or the characters...
May 19, 2020 9:48 PM

May 2018
Kangchenjunga said:
That was pretty bad... All of the yelling of "YOU'RE HATED BECAUSE YOU'RE A HALF ELF" was tiring as f to sit through. We already understood that from the main series and this OVA didn't feel like it added a damn thing to the world or the characters...

it wasn't just "YOU'RE HATED BECAUSE YOU'RE A HALF ELF", she had immense power within her, and that was also one of the reasons why she is dangerous. We knew that she was hated, but we only knew superficially and through Subaru's vision, this time we saw it first hand, through Emilia's own vision.
May 20, 2020 12:03 AM

May 2013
MaouHero said:
Kangchenjunga said:

it wasn't just "YOU'RE HATED BECAUSE YOU'RE A HALF ELF", she had immense power within her, and that was also one of the reasons why she is dangerous. We knew that she was hated, but we only knew superficially and through Subaru's vision, this time we saw it first hand, through Emilia's own vision.

That's true, however the necessary context around Melakuera was sorely missing. I expected the 'prequel' to add a bit of world-building by introducing the viewer to the 4 great spirits in the world of Re:zero. Give some extra useful and interesting fluff to the story, you know.

They did not adapt Emilia's meeting with Roswaald either, 7 years after Melakuera was defeated, wherein Emilia is given the Insignia to check whether she is a viable royal candidate or not.

The reason as for why Emilia agreed to her candidacy (despite her hated status of being elf-like) can be shown in Season 2 but the OVA did not add much for the average anime-only viewer. Except for a couple of really cool but short flashbacks around a certain green haired dude which raised some juicy questions.
KreatorXMay 20, 2020 12:15 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» do I watch this to start re:zero?

13oFIVE - Mar 24

5 by TabutcuEmmi »»
Mar 25, 2:34 AM

» More Emilia stuff again? We fan wants more Rem ( 1 2 )

Gazz - Dec 4, 2018

92 by Ge553ruhrnr »»
Sep 16, 2023 7:47 AM

» Do I need to watch this before starting Season 2?

Dije - Jan 26, 2022

17 by Broderoi »»
Jan 27, 2022 3:29 PM

» could have been a masterpiece

KuroudoAkabane - Oct 25, 2020

7 by Hachii13 »»
Oct 14, 2021 1:40 AM

» Who else is rewatching this after Season 2?

0451 - Mar 11, 2021

6 by ManWild »»
Apr 21, 2021 11:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.