Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 2, 2019 8:47 PM

Mar 2018
(I think there was already a post like this, but I couldn't find it, so...)

I'd love to see any Rick Riordan book as an anime. The comedy, world, and characters of each series would make for a great series.

Same with "The Queen's Thief" series by Megan Whalen Turner. I think they'd have to do a bit of adjustments since the first book is really slow, but I'd love to see Gen, Attolia, and Eddis in the anime style.

And then the big one: any and all Grishaverse book by Leigh Bardugo. (Shadow and Bone trilogy, Six of Crows Duology, Nikolai duology)
Gosh, this one is really self-explanatory. The plot would be so perfect to see as anime, and also consider the gorgeous world Leigh created. Can anyone else imagine Heartrender powers in live action? Or what about Kaz? Or Nikolai? It's perfect. (Why am I imagining Yuki Kaji voicing Wylan...)

Those are just some of my thoughts. What about everyone else? What books do you think would be a perfect anime?
"Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your poker face."
-Kaito Kuroba (aka Kaitou Kid)

"A thief is a creative artist who takes his prey in style. But a detective is nothing more than a critic who follows our footsteps."
-Kaito Kuroba (aka Kaitou Kid)

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 2, 2019 8:50 PM

Aug 2016
Literally anything from Brandon Sanderson Jesus Christ reading his books feels like watching anime in the first place. ESPECIALLY The Reckoners I would love to see an anime adapation of The Reckoners omg
Sep 3, 2019 1:04 AM
Jul 2018
One reason I was saddened when wmt stopped.

I'd have liked more Bildungsromane adapted to anime as only Japan can afford to do such adaptations in tv animated format and such detail

But one book I'd like to see adapted back then would be The Little Vampire. It was very popular in the 80s and Nippon Animation or TMS could have adapted it with ease.
The live action and cgi adaptations arrived way too late
Sep 3, 2019 1:14 AM

Jul 2013
I'll go with Codex Alera. I could see it working as an anime.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Sep 3, 2019 1:21 AM
Jan 2019
Death on the Nile and Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. I know there is already a meh adaptation of some Poirot mysteries (really old,didn't age well), but a proper one in the style of lets say Death parade would be amazing.

"Wonder" by R.J. Palacio would be a beautiful slice of life drama.
And "A man called Ove" by Fredrik Backman. Light humor with dark themes of suicide and death of a loved one could transcribe to anime form really well.
Nutella71Sep 3, 2019 1:26 AM
Sep 3, 2019 1:38 AM

Nov 2009
EriitoSenshi said:
Literally anything from Brandon Sanderson Jesus Christ reading his books feels like watching anime in the first place.

I second this. I've only read Stormlight Archive but it absolutely does feel like an anime. At some point in "Words Of Radiance" I was like "OH. WE'RE IN SHOUJO MANGA NOW. I APROVE!" And then mc becomes super-saiyan at the end.

I heard Stormlight is licensed for a movie adaptation and I'm heavily skeptical. Long running animation series would be better for something of this scale.
Sep 3, 2019 1:59 AM

Nov 2018
I want to see Time Riders - The Eternal War by Alex Scarrow as an anime.

It's about 3 people who work for an unknown agency to prevent time travel destroying history. In this story, Abraham Lincoln followed one of the time travelers back to the present day and a time wave struck and alters the entire history of the US to the state of it still being in the American Civil War.

It's a sci-fi thriller mixed with history, time-travel and steampunk.

There are also 3 other books in the series

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Sep 3, 2019 1:59 AM
Jul 2018
The Catcher in the Rye. Since it's my favorite novel I'd like to see any sort of decent adaptation of it.
Sep 3, 2019 2:32 AM

Oct 2017
The wind on fire trilogy by William Nicholson. I feel like it would translate into an anime far better than a film series or TV series.
Sep 3, 2019 3:10 AM
Jul 2018
Lois McMaster Bujold is a massive anime fan and that shows in her works - quirky fantasy with philosophical elements and three-dimensional characters. Her World of the Five Gods books would be perfect for an adaptation; both the Chalion series and the Penric novellas.
Sep 3, 2019 3:22 AM

Oct 2010
Moby Dick (I think it has an anime but it's for kids), Lolita (this will stur a lot of controversies) or something by murakami (even the weird comedies from his short stories).
Sep 3, 2019 3:27 AM

Apr 2017
The only books I do remember reading were the giver and the maze runner so def those two, but there are already live action movies for both
Sep 3, 2019 3:42 AM
Sep 2018
+1 for all rick riordan books.
They have an anime like story and its just about gods. They can be made into a good anime unlike DanMachi.
Sep 3, 2019 3:47 AM

Jul 2016
I think the Belgariad series would make a pretty good anime. I wasn't really a fan of the books, but an adaptation might help to fix some of the problems I had. Either that or it'll make them way way worse, in which case I'll just have some fun laughing at it.
Sep 3, 2019 3:51 AM

May 2018
operationvalkyri said:
Lois McMaster Bujold

I think the Barrayar books are the more obvious choice unless sci-fi fans are not prepared for another Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu type of show (but with more hardcore sci-fi in it).

I wonder if some relatively low budget phycological sci-fi adaptation of Stanisław Lem's Solaris could work out? I am not very content the both live action movie version. A TV series could adapt more of the content...like deeper aspects of it, not simply retell the main story.

Also I would like some adaptations from Strugatsky's bothers Noon Universe.
I didn't like The Inhabited Island live action adaptation.
Sep 3, 2019 3:57 AM

Feb 2019
Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan
King killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
Sep 3, 2019 4:13 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
EriitoSenshi said:
Literally anything from Brandon Sanderson Jesus Christ reading his books feels like watching anime in the first place. ESPECIALLY The Reckoners I would love to see an anime adapation of The Reckoners omg
Keenesleyar said:
EriitoSenshi said:
Literally anything from Brandon Sanderson Jesus Christ reading his books feels like watching anime in the first place.

I second this. I've only read Stormlight Archive but it absolutely does feel like an anime. At some point in "Words Of Radiance" I was like "OH. WE'RE IN SHOUJO MANGA NOW. I APROVE!" And then mc becomes super-saiyan at the end.

I heard Stormlight is licensed for a movie adaptation and I'm heavily skeptical. Long running animation series would be better for something of this scale.

I agree 100%. I have read everything he has and hasn't published (I have connections) and not only do I believe that they would be awesome anime, I think that they can only be perfectly adapted in an animated form. While I am excited to see what dmg entertainment does with the cosmere films and the other studios with the non-cosmere stuff, I don't think they will be great since so much of his story is told through inner dialogue which only really exists in anime. Also the power system would be near impossible to do well in "real life" but would be a piece of cake in anime.

Sep 3, 2019 4:15 AM

Mar 2016
Anything by Michael Ende would be great! Either Neverending Story, Momo or The Night of Wishes.
Sep 3, 2019 4:19 AM

Apr 2018
I think "The Sword of Truth" could work as an anime
Sep 3, 2019 4:37 AM

Feb 2016
The Tale of the Heike
The Makioka Sisters
Dogura magura
Sep 3, 2019 4:43 AM

Dec 2015
A full adaptation of Tale of Genji would be nice. There are already adaptations of it in anime form but since they are movies I doubt they adapt the nore than 1000 pages in their entirity.

Chronicles of the Emerged World by Licia Troisi. It's one of those series that would only work in animation and since Licia Troisi is influenced by anime.
Sep 3, 2019 4:44 AM

Apr 2017
The "Ember Quartet" series by Sabaa Tahir would take anime form really easily.

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Sep 3, 2019 4:51 AM

Nov 2017
Terry Pratchett's Discworld-novels have plenty of potential for animated adaptations. Sourcery, Soul Music, Equal Rites and Guards! Guards! at least would make for good films, although some of the parody might get lost in translation.
Sep 3, 2019 4:55 AM
Feb 2017
I'd like to see the dictionary as an anime, it would be very educational and fun.
Sep 3, 2019 5:28 AM
Jul 2018
alshu said:
operationvalkyri said:
Lois McMaster Bujold
I think the Barrayar books are the more obvious choice unless sci-fi fans are not prepared for another Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu type of show (but with more hardcore sci-fi in it).
Yes, you are right, the Barrayar books would be great as well. Miles' character development would be amazing on screen.

Vilkku92 said:
Terry Pratchett's Discworld-novels .
Good choice. The insanity of the Discworld can be depicted better in animation than live-action. They could leave out the blatant parodies to make sure it translates well and they'd still be left with loads of great material.
Sep 3, 2019 5:42 AM

Jul 2016
Vilkku92 said:
Terry Pratchett's Discworld-novels have plenty of potential for animated adaptations. Sourcery, Soul Music, Equal Rites and Guards! Guards! at least would make for good films, although some of the parody might get lost in translation.

Some of them already do (sort of). Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters both have cartoon adapations from the 90's and the Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic and The Hogfather both had live action TV movies on Sky.
Sep 3, 2019 7:53 AM

Dec 2017
A good adaptation of 'metamorphosis' or a long running adaptation of 'mahabharata' by wit studio would be pretty nice.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Sep 3, 2019 8:00 AM

Mar 2018
Without any doubt The Godfather. I'm a big fan of all mafia things.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 3, 2019 8:12 AM

Apr 2016
There are a lot of series I'd like to see as anime, especially fantasy.
But the ones I'd like to see animated the most are The Throne of Glass, Black Jewels, The Others and Court of Thorns and Roses.
ChroNoiR Episode.0 is the best anime to ever exist

Kanae forever in my heart

Sep 3, 2019 8:12 AM
Jul 2018
Catalano said:
Moby Dick (I think it has an anime but it's for kids), Lolita (this will stur a lot of controversies) or something by murakami (even the weird comedies from his short stories).

There is an adaptation by Dezaki/Sugino but it takes place in space scifi setting
Takarajima Memorial, a short movie sequel to Treasure Island, is also influenced by Moby Dick
Sep 3, 2019 8:26 AM
Sep 2015
I would love to se Shogun by James Clavell as an anime.
My life would be complete.
Sep 3, 2019 8:30 AM
Jun 2017
A book faithful adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire to make up for the poor job Game of Thrones did from Season 5 and onward.

Either that, or a full adaptation of The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, though I doubt one as good as the 2010 live action Chinese series could be accomplished.
Sep 3, 2019 8:41 AM

May 2011
At last, an interesting topic! I miss the times when certain Japanese studios weren't so isolationist. They didn't hesitate to go out of their comfort zone as they executed many literary adaptations (often in coproduction with foreign animators, as demonstrated with Sanrio's Hoshi no Orpheus, for instance). Motohachi's Nippon Animation commissioning most of the World Theater Masterpiece entries is the perfect illustration of this mindset...

I don't think we will see such times again, even at this peak of economic and cultural globalization. Even during the 80s, studios as Tokyo Movie Shinsha turning to international market was perceived with a mixture of skepticism and consternation by most anime producers, who think they will lose a rabbit if they try to chase two at once. It's a bold move, to adapt foreign works that aren't world renowned classics, given that they don't know whether this would please their home audience, and not simply the western one. Besides, I think most studios are too modest in size to have a foreign relationship department whose function is to negotiate around rights and handling of source matter.
Sep 3, 2019 8:44 AM

Jun 2014
Lol, none.

Who the hell reads books?

Sep 3, 2019 8:45 AM

Mar 2019
The Lord of the Rings. I want to see more beautiful background arts and special effects for the magic.
Sep 3, 2019 8:54 AM

Sep 2018
This might sound stupid but I'd love to see The Witcher, done by ufotable, or Wit studio.
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Sep 3, 2019 8:55 AM

Aug 2013
Demonata saga by Darren Shan, with colourful environments, a vast array of abilities and as much gore as Corpse Party it would be great as an anime.
Sep 3, 2019 9:00 AM

May 2019
And then there were none, Agatha Christie
I would honestly love to see some roald dahl books as anime, too. I feel like James and the giant peach would fit well.
Sep 3, 2019 9:05 AM

Jun 2016
Is there a middle earth anime? If not there should be since the universe is massive and there are countless possibilities for a good story in the thousands of years of world history that tolkien provided. Just don't make it an isekai. I have nothing against the genre, it just goes against what tolkien intended
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 3, 2019 9:12 AM
Aug 2019
The Witcher book series would be good as an anime adaptation.......maybe there would be the same concept like in SAO
Sep 3, 2019 9:12 AM
May 2019
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland of course😜
I would also like to see The Odyssey by Homer, The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri, The Iliad by Homer, The Trial by Franz Kafka, One Thousand and One Nights, Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton, The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry too^^
Sep 3, 2019 9:22 AM
Jul 2018
Ooh, Demonata (and Darren Shan) or Rick Riordan's books would make dope anime. I didn't think of them, but you guys are totally right.

Other than that, I'd love to see a Bartimaeus Trilogy adaptation. The books aren't well known, but they're awesome and I'm sure the witty MC would become pretty much everyone's favorite.^^
Sep 3, 2019 9:38 AM

Jul 2016
I already said one, but I just thought of another. The Hyperion Cantos.

As much as I love the way those books looked in my head, I'd love to see how an imaginative director with total creative freedom would bring them to life. Just so long as Dan Simmons doesn't make too much money off of it. He's a bit of a racist shitbag
Sep 3, 2019 11:38 AM

Sep 2018
Everyrthing by brando sando, but dont you dare get any of the shit anime tropes in there.
Oct 4, 2019 12:16 AM
Jan 2017
definitely Keeper of the Lost Cities, if you haven't heard of this series, you're missing out.
Oct 4, 2019 12:42 AM
Sep 2019
Just about anything by Neil Gaiman would translate well, I think - Stardust, Good Omens, Anansi Boys, American Gods.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Oct 4, 2019 4:08 AM

May 2019
Conan the Barbarian OVAs depicting miscellaneous short stories by Robert E. Howard. Ideally it would have been made when OVAs were still booming for that dark shaded aesthetic.
Oct 4, 2019 11:00 AM

Apr 2016
The core 10 books of the Dragonlance saga by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Could be a 60 to 100 episode anime series.

• Dragons of Autumn Twilight
  • Dragons of Winter Night
  • Dragons of Spring Dawn
  • Dragons of Summer Flame
  • Time of the Twins
  • Test of the Twins
  • War of the Twins
  • Dragons of a Fallen Sun
  • Dragons of a Lost Star
  • Dragons of a Vanished Moon

They could also adapt the Lost Chronicles trilogy, which fills in the gaps of the first three books, but those stories aren't integral to the overall saga, and could be best seen as a side OVAs like LoGH Gaiden.
Oct 4, 2019 3:52 PM

Apr 2015
The great Gatsby and Pride and prejudice. I would generally dig adaptation of realism novel.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

11 by Avicebrons »»
8 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

18 by Ratris_Decision »»
23 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

53 by maya2003s »»
24 minutes ago

» What if all characters, not just main, had infinite mana?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

1 by romagia »»
25 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

88 by Atmogenic »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.