Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you agree that Dr. Stone deserves "1" Appalling ?
Aug 27, 2019 4:43 PM
Oct 2018
I just have finished watching the 8th episode of the anime and came here right away. I was seriously shocked to see the first review giving the anime 1, whilst I think that I can give the show 11 without even thinking.

Does people not understand the charm of the main character, and how awesome the concept and approach were in mixing Science (mainly chemistry) into the anime? Or it is just that they don't understand it, or hate school matters or whatever.

I hope people reconsider their reviews and at least finish half of the show before judging it badly.

Helpful reviews need to be marked as "helpful"

Mod edit: removed bait
BrandonSep 7, 2019 7:08 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 27, 2019 6:05 PM
Feb 2017
Obviously it's unjustified, but Kahru has made a lot of reviews and people hate on popular shows. Pro tip: never read reviews as most of the time they're completely useless unless you watch the show yourself.
Aug 27, 2019 6:17 PM

May 2018
You must be new on MAL
Aug 27, 2019 6:39 PM

Sep 2012
I just finished watching episode 8 and also happens to see such low rating review to be in the top reviews. I didn't read everything tho, maybe he just didn't like the MC or find the concept boring to him, either way just let them score whatever they want and I kinda agree with this guy

BlakexEkalb said:
Pro tip: never read reviews as most of the time they're completely useless unless you watch the show yourself.

Aug 27, 2019 6:43 PM
Apr 2016
Not 1, but at least in my opinion, around those digits. I agree with everything the reviews say nonetheless.
Aug 28, 2019 5:00 AM
Oct 2016
mal user reviews are about on par with metacritic user reviews
Aug 28, 2019 5:17 AM

Aug 2019
Seems very harsh.
Aug 28, 2019 6:01 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I never agree with 1 rated reviews, never! Maybe a few points here and there but I believe such reviews are incredibly biased so it’s a no from me.

I don’t believe there’s any show deserving that 1 rated treatment, or maybe I just haven’t seen such an abysmal show yet.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 28, 2019 6:26 AM

Oct 2018
I wouldn’t take a review from Karin overly seriously (great guy though). It’s best to just stay far away from mal reviews. Really fucking far away.

Personally I like Dr Stone, and I think some of the reasons people dislike are pretty stupid. For example people complaining about bullshit in the science involved with the series sound like they’ve never watched a shounen anime before. Anyway I don’t really care how people rate certain anime as long as they give genuine reasons that they think that way

Aug 28, 2019 6:27 AM

Sep 2018
I would say its justified, its maybe objectively not a 1 but if he gets no enjoyment out of it.

I just find it funny that people say "OHHHH unjustified...." but almost never question a 10, If its the most upvoted review.
Aug 28, 2019 12:01 PM

Apr 2015
Definitely don't deserve a "1". This show is not terrible, just bad.
Aug 28, 2019 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
I would not rate this show a 1, but again, everyone is different. Besides, there are many good shows whose rating doesn't match. You really need to stop caring about ratings. Some people like it, some won't.

If you like DR Stone, enjoy it and don't even bother reading reviews.
Aug 28, 2019 2:23 PM

Apr 2011
(1+11)÷2=6

This anime is a 6.
Aug 28, 2019 5:50 PM
Feb 2017
Mullerio_ said:
I would say its justified, its maybe objectively not a 1 but if he gets no enjoyment out of it.

I just find it funny that people say "OHHHH unjustified...." but almost never question a 10, If its the most upvoted review.

Mostly because the average score is closer to 10 and not 1. If average MAL scores were around 4 and someone scored it a 1 it would not cause a big deal, but if it were scored a 10 it would be barraged with hate. That and a 1 is either a biased score or a BS score since the only shows that deserve a 1 have to be purposefully trying to make complete trash.
Aug 28, 2019 6:00 PM

May 2015
Karhu is a troll. Just ignore him.

Aug 28, 2019 10:20 PM
Jul 2018
Half of them are trolls and half the kind of people who cannot bear to watch majority enjoy a good anime. The criticism they give is the worst i have heard, They just nitpick the comedy scenes and how it's "unrealistic".
Aug 28, 2019 11:43 PM

Jan 2009
is this Karhu guy the new ThatAnimeSnob? if he continues to be this controversial on his reviews then MAL will have to ban him like they did ThatAnimeSnob
Aug 29, 2019 5:26 AM

Sep 2018

BlakexEkalb said:
Mullerio_ said:

Mostly because the average score is closer to 10 and not 1. If average MAL scores were around 4 and someone scored it a 1 it would not cause a big deal, but if it were scored a 10 it would be barraged with hate. That and a 1 is either a biased score or a BS score since the only shows that deserve a 1 have to be purposefully trying to make complete trash.

Yea many people use the rating system the "wrong" way or at least not the way its supposed to be, a 5 should be average so a "decent" show but there are so many people thinking a 5 is a bad score and that is simply not true.

But i disagree a show can be a 1 if its just a very very bad show that i also did not enjoy, 1 is basicially a 9 just the other way around, so i think its a score that should be given to shows that are simply extremely bad, similar to a 9 wich is for the extremely good ones (10 is for the really special ones with a equivalent of a 0 wich does not exist on MAL).
Some 1 shows maybe have some monior decent points but they cant outweigh the bad ones, similar to a 9 wich has some flaws but they get outweigh by the positives.
-Mullerio-Aug 29, 2019 5:30 AM
Aug 29, 2019 6:04 AM
Apr 2016
i m the kind of guy who would put 1 on bad anime, but dr stone has pretty good animation, very good music and the plot is really original. Even if you don t like it and think it s very childish, it deserves at least 5 for the quality

Just upvote the reviews with good marks so the harsh one disappear
Aug 29, 2019 6:07 AM

Jan 2013
Can't say for the anime itself, but the reaction faces from it sure as hell are appalling.
Aug 29, 2019 8:56 AM

Aug 2018
I was thinking along those lines for the first bunch of episodes, which were when these reviews were posted. I didn't think the show was good prior to episode 7, but even back then I could see that a 1 is an absurd rating for a show that at least tries something unique - pretty clear bait.

Since Senkuu met the village people and Taiju left the series (for now) has personally become a lot more enjoyable. If it keeps up being good then we can hope that the reviews for the full series will be better than the preliminary reviews.

Regardless, the anime's average score is still above 8, so it's not being received that badly by the wider audience. I don't see too much of a reason to worry that a troll's preliminary review got pushed to the top by other sewer-dwelling trolls.
Aug 29, 2019 12:44 PM

Oct 2013
Troll reviews will always appear in various amounts, so I wouldn't be surprised by seeing them. What surprised me is the fact a lot of people marked Karhu's review as "Helpful". I understand somebody can have other than mine opinion on something and can present arguments to support his/her point of view, but come on... Giving the lowest possible score to "Dr. Stone"? Really? A score that indicates how a show is an utterly failure in every possible way? "Dr. Stone" is not even close to that if we look at it objectively.
Aug 29, 2019 3:37 PM

Feb 2019
a simple rule many people criticize an anime harshly simply because they don't like it and if it's popular they will be very nitpicking.
Aug 29, 2019 4:02 PM

Apr 2013
no worry, they just don't know what's good.
Aug 29, 2019 9:40 PM

Jul 2019
To the people who disliked Karhu's review, read this on his profile https://myanimelist.net/profile/Karhu
Aug 29, 2019 10:39 PM

Aug 2016
Adnash93 said:
Troll reviews will always appear in various amounts, so I wouldn't be surprised by seeing them. What surprised me is the fact a lot of people marked Karhu's review as "Helpful". I understand somebody can have other than mine opinion on something and can present arguments to support his/her point of view, but come on... Giving the lowest possible score to "Dr. Stone"? Really? A score that indicates how a show is an utterly failure in every possible way? "Dr. Stone" is not even close to that if we look at it objectively.

He knows exactly what he is doing. He gets his review up as soon as possible with an extreme rating to get fanboys or haters something to latch onto while the iron is hot. It's a simple exploitation of the fact that the "unhelpful" button was removed. Uninformative shitposts like that would be downvoted otherwise.

The review below his by Pragyan1 is how a critical review should be.

Jeppy11 said:
To the people who disliked Karhu's review, read this on his profile https://myanimelist.net/profile/Karhu

People find the score foolish but that isn't even the issue. The actual review is terrible. It's not even a review, it's just an attack/hit piece on a show with unfunny jokes/memes mixed in. (IE: a shitpost)
Aug 29, 2019 11:37 PM

Jan 2014
It's kinda amazing how his review actually became the top reviews for "Dr. Stone", that probably says more about this forum than himself.

"Dr. Stone" probably made a great punching bag for troll reviewer since it's:

1. Trending
2. Shounen
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Aug 29, 2019 11:38 PM
Jul 2018
This is the worst phase MAL has ever been. Ever since these wannabe Polyphemus like Karhu & Cringeyman started spamming all seasonals with 1/10 rating reviews just for sake of attention. I feel like the site will never be same
Aug 29, 2019 11:53 PM

Jan 2015
Guess you can't please everyone, and if you can't please the ones that didn't like your work... They will write bad reviews to threaten that persons work... Kinda like those Yelp Food Reviewers that thinks their opinion matters that much... Humanity seems to be falling behind when it comes to that aspect... :3

When I decided to watch Dr. Stone randomly since some of my friends told me it was good... Don't remember who told me, after I watched Episode 1 I got hooked! XD
It just became better and I can't wait for the future episodes! XD

People hated Black Clover too in the start and Boruto as well... Since people expected too much of them and gave them an unjustified hate... Well I mainly did it too but you gotta give some things another chance. :3

But I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion :3

This is my reaction when I read the Dr. Stone Reviews and sees the scores they are given. XD

"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Aug 30, 2019 12:09 AM
Aug 2019
Let people think what they want to think.
Aug 30, 2019 12:13 AM
Aug 2019
heg said:
is this Karhu guy the new ThatAnimeSnob? if he continues to be this controversial on his reviews then MAL will have to ban him like they did ThatAnimeSnob

They banned TAS because he was an unlikable asshole jerk to other people, that cause drama on the site for the heck of it, not because of his reviewes. Get your facts straight.
Aug 30, 2019 1:38 AM

Nov 2013
It's just contrarians trying to act cool.

_MushiRock11_ said:
I never agree with 1 rated reviews, never! Maybe a few points here and there but I believe such reviews are incredibly biased so it’s a no from me.

I don’t believe there’s any show deserving that 1 rated treatment, or maybe I just haven’t seen such an abysmal show yet.

Well... there are some shows that deserve 1/10. You should check MAL's top 100 worst rated shows sometimes, it's a fun ride: https://myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=&type=0&score=1&status=0&p=0&r=0&sm=0&sd=0&sy=0&em=0&ed=0&ey=0&c[0]=a&c[1]=b&c[2]=c&c[3]=f&gx=0&o=3&w=1&o=3&w=2
abystoma2Aug 30, 2019 1:42 AM
You all need to watch Nami.

Aug 30, 2019 1:48 AM

May 2019
I dont think it deserves a 1, but while he is overdoing it i definitely agree Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru > Dr Stone
Aug 30, 2019 1:55 AM
Aug 2018
The double standards of users on this site when it comes to scores shows how simple-minded they are as to how art can be perceived. It's funny how they don't have a problem with people rating something a 10 or 9, but when it's a 1 they do.

It's ignorant to think that art should be perceived only objectively because that is simply not true. For example, a series can have great animation, art, sound... But if the characters and plot are bad, then it can easily reduce the enjoyment to 0 - A lot of people rate art based on their enjoyment.

But then again, if you're mad about the ratings that people give to a show, then you're just taking that as a personal insult, you're butthurt over it, because otherwise, you wouldn't care. You wouldn't have made this thread in the first place.

It's pathetic how a lot of users on this site have this mindset.
Aug 30, 2019 1:57 AM

Jan 2009
TheChaika said:
heg said:

They banned TAS because he was an unlikable asshole jerk to other people, that cause drama on the site for the heck of it, not because of his reviewes. Get your facts straight.

ok and this Karhu guy is not an asshole jerk then?
Aug 30, 2019 2:03 AM
Aug 2019
heg said:
TheChaika said:

At least he ain't bulling people on their profiles for liking a music in a show ... like TAS did with one girl.
Aug 30, 2019 2:25 AM

Jan 2009
TheChaika said:
heg said:

At least he ain't bulling people on their profiles for liking a music in a show ... like TAS did with one girl.

im not sure, normally controversial users attract toxicity and they will fight back or become toxic themselves hence my comparison with him to TAS but we will see in the long run
Aug 30, 2019 10:07 AM

Oct 2012
heg said:

He is the man, the myth, the legend, and the (^:

Aug 30, 2019 11:15 AM

Aug 2015
_MushiRock11_ said:

You clearly haven't watched School Days or Citrus.
Aug 30, 2019 11:33 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
coreynj said:
_MushiRock11_ said:

Yeah, I haven't lol nor do I plan to anytime soon.

Aug 30, 2019 11:44 AM

Aug 2015
_MushiRock11_ said:
coreynj said:

They'd be your first anime to give a rating of 1. Don't waste your time.
Aug 30, 2019 11:52 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
coreynj said:
_MushiRock11_ said:

They'd be your first anime to give a rating of 1. Don't waste your time.

Right lol, thanks for the insight!

Aug 30, 2019 1:06 PM

Nov 2014
im surprised how many thinks it's that horrible

whats wrong with y'all?

coreynj said:
_MushiRock11_ said:

school days aint that bad. at least the mc got what he deserved in the end.
Aug 30, 2019 1:47 PM
Jun 2019
It's normal, a lot of people have to hate popular productions.
Good advice.
Just don't take these reviews seriously.
Aug 30, 2019 1:54 PM
Feb 2012
The show really is that terrible. I can only understand enjoying this if you're 12 years old or under.
Aug 30, 2019 1:54 PM
Jun 2019
_MushiRock11_ said:

True.
So far, I have not watched a series that would be so weak that it deserved to one.
Imo, most of the lowest ratings are unreasonable
Aug 30, 2019 2:03 PM

Nov 2018
reviews are pretty useless if you haven't watched it yourself
especially when it comes to popular productions, "generic" and etc.
and about the criticism, no, I don't think it's justifiable, people are overanalyzing a show that should be "just entertainment" with the same criteria they analyze 2001 A Space Odyssey and so on

❝見つめないで 悲しい方を
目を瞑って 口づけしよう
甘く溶けるメロディー❞

❝邪魔しないで
真夜中のパラダイス
息もせずに潜っていく
二人だけのダンス❞
Aug 30, 2019 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
This show is spectacular 20 out of 10

There a lot of trolls and people with bad taste in the reviews
Aug 30, 2019 3:03 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Its just Karhu being Karhu. Don't take him seriously.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Aug 30, 2019 3:12 PM
May 2019
I think that your taking reviews and scores too seriously.
I enjoy reading Karhu reviews they are always entertaining lol.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2019

150 by anshumankrsingh »»
Apr 7, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2019

196 by anshumankrsingh »»
Apr 6, 6:28 AM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2019

486 by Luban1 »»
Mar 18, 8:08 PM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Syureria - Dec 13, 2019

335 by Matchappie »»
Mar 5, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2019

161 by Matchappie »»
Mar 5, 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.