Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 26, 2019 9:27 PM

Jun 2015
Honestly what manga you think that are superior than the anime.
Aug 26, 2019 9:30 PM
Jul 2018
Easily Trigun, but to be fair, the manga wasn't anywhere near finished when the anime was made.
Aug 26, 2019 11:52 PM

Jan 2014
It's not exactly straight "adaptation", but i found pokemon adventures to be superior compared to it's anime counterpart. It does helps that it had a rotating group of main characters everytime one part of the story ends.
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Aug 27, 2019 12:01 AM

Nov 2011
Tokyo Ghoul. The anime are just dumpster fire.

Aug 27, 2019 12:05 AM
Aug 2019
The anime isn't bad but Vinland Saga's manga is brilliant in my opinion.
Aug 27, 2019 12:07 AM

Jan 2009
im sure the right answer is all/most anime adaptation that fail to adapt the manga until its ending

and also One Punch Man anime season 2 is better animated (the illusion of movement) in the manga
Aug 27, 2019 8:33 AM

Jun 2016
While the anime adaptation was excellent, nothing can perfectly adapt the masterpiece that is known as the Noragami manga.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Aug 27, 2019 11:14 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
ChaosSaviour said:
It's not exactly straight "adaptation", but i found pokemon adventures to be superior compared to it's anime counterpart. It does helps that it had a rotating group of main characters everytime one part of the story ends.
You're right that it's not an "adaptation", but Pokémon Special/Adventures is in no way related to the Pokémon anime aside from being in the same franchise, so you can't say that the anime is Pokéspecial's counterpart. The only counterpart that Pokéspecial has are the original games. Nothing in the anime is canon or even happens in Pokéspecial from what I know (which is not much, but I have read some of D/P/Pt and HG/SS tho).
The anime does have a manga counterpart, but it's the infamous Electric Tale of Pikachu.

Anyway, back on-topic, the Sailor Moon manga is 10x better than the anime. I grew up with the anime (we had a VHS at one point), but I ended up loving the manga much more once I started reading it from my middle school days.
The plot is more intense and interesting and doesn't have much filler if any at all, so it goes by fairly quick. There's some pretty big changes the 90s anime made from the manga, such as the main plot of the 4th arc, and now that I've read it, it really does feel like a shame that those certain parts never made it into animation at the time. The art is gorgeous too!
Fario-PAug 27, 2019 11:20 AM
Aug 27, 2019 11:27 PM
Aug 2008
I am going to go out on a limb here by taking the very unpopular route and say Akira. The manga goes into so many details that the anime just leaves out and therefore creates confusion on, such as who Akira actually is and how big his role story was, and how the clowns and the main characters got into a war. There are also a number of subplots that went ignored in the anime. Of course, it's a 6 large volume manga adapted for a 2 hour long film.
Aug 28, 2019 1:32 AM

Feb 2019
Toriko, I really wish the anime stuck to the source material.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Aug 28, 2019 9:52 AM

Jul 2017
Tokyo ghoul by far....
Aug 29, 2019 8:15 AM

Mar 2017
Kono Oto Tomare, Saiyuki series
Sep 2, 2019 1:46 PM

Jun 2016
Fullmetal Alchemist
Grand Blue
Kono Oto Tomare
Byousoku 5 cm
Aku no Hana
Sep 3, 2019 1:11 AM
Jan 2012
Grand Blue. The transitions between panels absolutely sold the jokes, even when the jokes were basically rehashed older jokes. The way these pages were laid out gave the punchlines impact. These jokes would be so unfunny and fall flat in a different manga that handled them differently, yet Grand Blue pulled it off.

The anime on the other hand had a director that asked things like "What's comedic timing? Do we even need a good OST, can't we just play the same three note flute song every scene that isn't a punchline? Can't our punchlines start way too early and linger for way too long so they can be as impactful as a wet noodle? That's the kind of adaptation we should make!". The fact that the director was an actual experienced comedy anime director actually made him fall into all these typical comedy anime pitfalls that plague the genre far too easily, and it irritates me so much when we got Hinamatsuri in the same year.

Also Golden Kamuy, but I'm not actually angry about that one. Despite the low production value the first season actually was still a very fun experience. I just don't understand the reasoning of why they'd cut the main character's back story, and the sheer amount of content they cut out of the second season, stuff that is very hard to justify cutting out. Still a nice watch, but just reading the manga is better.
Sep 3, 2019 1:36 AM
Jul 2018
I'll also state the reasons

I only liked Aku no Hana anime because it made characters older (high school) as opposed to middle school like in the manga, which would fit more with the dialogue. But I agree that the manga is superior.

There are cases where the anime is more expansive than the manga in art and story like Dear Bother and Lady Georgie but in the case of Candy Candy, I prefer the manga. The manga art is beautiful and it was not adapted that well to anime despite the efforts. No filler dialogue and Monologues either. It would be difficult to rewatch the TV series but I'd re-read the manga many times.

Also Getter Robo manga is much better than the anime, though very short. Anime turned the pilots into good guys because it was the 70s but manga by go nagai portrays them as dregs of society and ruthless killers. This makes it a very good pulp Mecha manga, especially the first part.

Also I preferred the Excel Saga manga as opposed to the anime which goes into a way different route. But manga has a more subtle humor and self-sarcasm of poor Excel that gets lost in the anime humor.
Excel for that reason became one of the best mainstream manga characters I read, but mal has only 10 spots so there is no room for her.A third character too that appears later and is not present in the anime.

Also no Appleseed anime adaptation managed to be as good as the manga. It needed the GitS sac treatment, which hasn't happened so far.

Had Violinist of Hamelin TV followed the manga humor it would have been as good. Why did they choose to go the Berserk route I have no idea.
Sep 3, 2019 2:23 AM

May 2012
Tokyo Ghoul for sure, and also One Piece although the first ~300 episodes of the manga are pretty decent.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2019 12:16 PM

Nov 2017
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. While the film is good, the longer, bleaker story of the comic has so much more weight to itself.

Gunnm. The OVA adapts the first two and a half volumes of a nine volume comic that essentially tells the entire life story of its main character and has artwork so great sound and movement are barely an improvement. The anime never stood a chance of being on par with the original.
Sep 9, 2019 4:16 PM

Jul 2019
Dororo's manga is better than its newer adaptation, the story is way better structured in manga than anime and the anime adds a lot of elements to the story that are pretty useless. Also I think the anime didn't benefit of the fact it was an anime, pretty bad music and art/animation, while the art of Osamu is pretty clean sometimes.
Sep 12, 2019 9:37 AM

Dec 2015
The difference isn't as severe as some of the other examples already mentioned, but I think with Natsume Yuujinchou the original manga is better. The style they used for the anime is really... I don't know. Too standard maybe? There's something missing in the anime art style; the wispy, ethereal feeling of the original illustrations really enhances the mood and overall experience of the stories, and it just doesn't feel the same without that particular quality.

(in a kinda similar manner, this really threw me with regard to JJBA, especially for Diamond is Unbreakable; I'm almost tempted to say that it's better to read P4 than watch just because the art style compromise they made never really clicked for me, in addition to the other, admittedly minor, changes they made while adapting it)
Sep 13, 2019 3:10 PM

Apr 2016
Based only on manga, so without count novels, I’d say Berserk and Kingdom. However in both cases I don't have watched all the animated adaptations, but based on what I’ve watched I think it’s right. Obviously, that’s my opinion.
Sep 13, 2019 7:03 PM

Dec 2012
Out of the stuff I've finished:
Ai Yori Aoshi
Claymore
Gunslinger Girl
Kare Kano
Lunar Legend Tsukihime
Omamori Himari
Sekirei
Suzuka
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 13, 2019 7:52 PM

Nov 2013
From what I've seen

Blame (for obvious reason)
Death Note (more suspense and more tension in the manga, although the anime wasn't doing bad adaptation)
Monster (because the anime pacing)
Eyeshield 21(manga art was better than the visual in the anime, anime has filler content and incomplete)
Kare Kano (the anime is incomplete)
Nausicaa (Manga were more detailed and not rushed)
Aria (I prefer the story order in the manga and anime S1 was shit)
YKK (for obvious reason)
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Sep 19, 2019 5:12 PM

Aug 2010
Pretty much any Yu-Gi-Oh manga after the original.

Pokemon Adventures against the anime.

The original Sailor Moon anime (along with Cardcaptor Sakura).

Maaaayyyybeeeee Yu Yu Hakusho (at least it made the ending better)
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Sep 19, 2019 5:38 PM

Sep 2016
Medaka Box by far.

ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴀꜱɪᴇꜱᴛ ᴡᴀy ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴩ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴜʀᴛ
yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴇᴀʀɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴋᴇ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
Sep 21, 2019 4:31 PM

Oct 2015
blame, berserk, one punch man, and anything junji ito
⠀     ‧     ⠀
Sep 21, 2019 8:47 PM

May 2017
Probably Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I read the manga first before watching the anime, and while I enjoyed the latter, I still believe the manga version was much better.
Sep 21, 2019 9:26 PM
Jul 2019
TG and berserk.
Blade of the immortal old anime is also fairly worse than the manga, hopefully the upcoming remake is better.
Umineko no naku koro ni, they blew the anime adaptation.
Little busters and one piece (post timeskip) also come to mind.
Sep 22, 2019 8:51 PM
Jul 2018
There are probably plenty but...

Hm, first one to come to my mind is Gakkou Gurashi, (School Live.)

The anime was pretty good I guess. But that "pretty good" anime is the adaptation of what is now one of my favorite manga ever. The manga is just so much better in so many ways. The anime added shit, shuffled around when certain things happen and took away major plot points for seemingly no reason at all. The manga has much better action, tension and atmosphere. The art often puts the anime to shame. And there are tons of character defining moments completely taken out of the anime, which does nothing but hurt its characters. Plus, given how much longer the manga is, there's a lot more character growth happening. And multiple arcs each with new characters introduced, plot being added, information being given, and more buildup to what seems like a fast approaching climax. The anime is still good, and I've even re watched it since my initial viewing but... I gotta say... given how much I love the manga... the anime really pales in comparison.
Oct 12, 2019 10:21 PM
Jul 2018
Neon Genesis Evangelion. Brought the depth into deepness.
Oct 14, 2019 7:26 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
ChaosSaviour said:

I agree with this. I don't know why, but I get annoyed with Satoshi/Ash.
Oct 17, 2019 4:20 PM
Jul 2018
Tokyo Ghoul
Saraiya Goyou, honestly this one wasn't too bad but I didn't like what the adaption did with the ending.
Anything by Junji Ito
Oct 19, 2019 11:13 AM

Feb 2019
Grand blue manga has more impact than its anime.
Oct 21, 2019 9:08 AM

Aug 2016
Manga are better in a lot of ways
It is the purest form of the mangakas vision after all.
Coloring, style, animation, VAs or soundtrack can make or break an anime. Action manga will almost always benefit from being animated (depends on the studio i guess) while non-dynamic or not flashy manga will lose its value in style.

jojo adapted the style succesfully while enhancing the visuals with great coloring and animation.
mob psycho had incredible animation that suited the action.
made in abyss had consistent style while having beautiful scenery.

any ito manga is better in the original form as is blame! or any other picturesque manga
Nov 1, 2019 6:13 PM
Jul 2018
all manga is superior to anime inherently. unless they suck so both mediums can't salvage it.
Nov 2, 2019 6:15 AM

May 2019
Rosario+Vampire, the anime wasn't all that bad by dumb harem comedy standards, but the manga goes on to become what's basically a battle shonen with world-ending stakes, something the anime didn't even wanna get near.

While I haven't watched the anime myself, Kurogane no Linebarrel is pretty notorious in mecha circles for having a shit adaptation. From the few differences and additions I've heard about and seen in clips, and the fact that the they replaced the perfectly good manga character designs with new ones by Hisashi Hirai, I'd say just stick to the manga. Doesn't help that the anime happened while the manga was still ongoing, so it has an original ending and doesn't touch the final arc.

This is a reversed case cuz the anime came first, but the Darling in the FranXX manga is shaping up to be more enjoyable than the anime was. It's following a different plot from about the halfway point of the anime, there's a greater focus on action, and some new machines and variants that weren't in the anime. The side characters get more spotlight in combat too, instead of just being there to job until Strelizia comes in to steamroll everything.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

378 by Hexcellion »»
2 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
4 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
4 hours ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.