Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think is perhaps the best anime objectively that isn't one of your personal favorites?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 19, 2019 5:02 AM

Jun 2019
Lunilah said:
JoyBoy_316 said:

I haven't watched OPM by the way but again OK
i am disappoint Why haven't you tried it?
I'm glad he hasn't tried it yet, since, you know, considering the bullshit season 2 came to be.
Aug 19, 2019 5:04 AM

Jul 2017
Bunsuke said:
the best anime to me are in my favorites, you idiot
the only answer that makes sense
though the best animes are MY favourites duh
Aug 19, 2019 5:11 AM

Mar 2018
EndlessMaria said:
JoyBoy_316 said:
Wow so your argument is basically that you and your friends though it was the "biggest buzzword here on the internet"

the fact that you post Saitama solidifies your shit taste. Next thread.

You can't really call out someone having a shit taste while you yourself gave mirai niki a score of 10, considering how big of a dumpster fire that anime is...

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Aug 19, 2019 5:21 AM

May 2018
I think Monster is pretty damn deep, dark, and solid throughout - even though I gave it a 9 score, it's not in my top 10 favourites.
Aug 19, 2019 5:40 AM

Mar 2018
I'll just pick Aoi Bungaku because the first story it adapts impressed me immenseley when I watched it as a young teen (some others were amazing as well). Watched it because the cover reminded me of Death Note, got hit with one of the most haunting experiences. It's completely realistic so the subjects that come up are all the more tragic, and the way MadHouse worked with it just captured you in this hopeless state. Need to rewatch it someday
poop
Aug 19, 2019 5:58 AM

Jun 2017
Probably Your Name. It got high ratings and is, currently the #1 anime on the whole site.

But i thought it was boring, and uninteresting.

I usually agree with public opinion about if an anime is good or not. A lot of the popular shows, i really like. But this one, not so much.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Aug 19, 2019 11:10 AM

Oct 2014
FuriousNutSlaps said:
Lunilah said:
i am disappoint Why haven't you tried it?
I'm glad he hasn't tried it yet, since, you know, considering the bullshit season 2 came to be.
If season 2 had better production, i would hold it in higher regard than season 1 actually. Also you disabled profile comments.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Aug 19, 2019 11:20 AM

Aug 2019
Gintama i watched the first episode and didn't click with me. Everyone loves it
Aug 19, 2019 11:45 AM

Sep 2018
The objetivly best show is either Monster, Inferno Cop or LOTGH. Stuff like FMA:B has objectivly bad moments sooooooooo it can't be the best one.

Aug 19, 2019 12:25 PM

Jun 2019
TheBlockernator said:
Probably Your Name. It got high ratings and is, currently the #1 anime on the whole site.

I usually agree with public opinion about if an anime is good or not. A lot of the popular shows, i really like. But this one, not so much.

I liked it for the visual beauty and I'm a sucker for anything to do with
, but it's massively overrated and I found the writing to very weak and thin, which is honestly like some of Shinkai's other films, in my opinion. I'd put 5 Centimeter in the same category. Aesthetically pleasing, but devoid of a lot of substance beyond the packaging and initial hook of the premise.

Mullerio_ said:
The objetivly best show is either Monster

Is the standard Monster sets that high? I've had it in my PTW for a while and have been surprised to hear almost uniformly positive things about it around the board. I suppose like any show it has its detractors, but as a thriller fan, if it sets that high a bar for thrillers, that's enticing.
WatchTillTandavaAug 19, 2019 1:46 PM
Aug 19, 2019 12:32 PM

Oct 2017
Hmm without touching on the whole objectivity vs. subjectivity stuff too much, I'll say that these anime have aspects which I fully understand why so many people think they're masterpieces, even if they didn't reach that high level of enjoyment for me personally.

Evangelion. I don't like Anno. I think he had a lot of stuff to say and most of it is nonsense. I subscribe to the notion that Eva is anti-otaku in many ways. However, it is a fantastic piece of work. It ticks so many boxes. It has a messages communicated effectively and artisitically without being too obvious or simple. The characters feel human, with depth and flaws. Overall I get why people think it's a masterpiece. But in addition to not liking some of the messages, I didn't enjoy it towards the end as much as the beginning, so from a pure enjoyment standpoint it isn't a favourite.

SSSS Gridman. Hugely underrated because tokusetsu is a really niche interest. For me, too, it was a struggle to enjoy the cheesy giant robot fights which invoked memories of kids entertainment like power-rangers (which I loved as a kid, but couldn't watch now). Still, Gridman is a glorious homage to old-school Tokusetsu. Trigger did an outstanding job with the art, the animation, the directing, and the ending is one of the best endings I've ever seen, full of meaning and emotional impact.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Aug 19, 2019 12:42 PM

Jun 2017
WatchTillTandava said:
TheBlockernator said:

, but it's massively overrated and I found the writing to very weak and thin, which is honestly like some of Shinkai's other films, in my opinion. I'd put 5 Centimeter in the same category. Aesthetically pleasing, but devoid of a lot of substance beyond the packaging and initial hook of the premise.

I liked the music, but that was it. I actually feel that The Girl Who Leapt Through Time actually had a deeper, more involved story then Your Name. It pulls off the time travel aspect much better. With Shinkai, i liked 5 Centimeters Per Second. And i liked Children Who Chase Lost Voices. But that's all i've seen
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Aug 19, 2019 1:51 PM

Jun 2019
TheBlockernator said:
WatchTillTandava said:

I liked the music, but that was it. I actually feel that The Girl Who Leapt Through Time actually had a deeper, more involved story then Your Name. It pulls off the time travel aspect much better. With Shinkai, i liked 5 Centimeters Per Second. And i liked Children Who Chase Lost Voices. But that's all i've seen

I think from what I've seen I'm just not a huge Shinkai fan, going through what I've seen of his filmography. I'm glad to have watched them as the stories are all interesting enough, but the endings are usually a cop-out or fizzle out and the character writing and dialogue is lacking something. Even he himself said he regarded Your Name as an unfinished product that could have been better. I don't hate these films (I think I've given all I've seen average to favorable ratings in the 5 - 8 range), but there are a lot more interesting things coming out of the anime world in my view.

YossaRedMage said:
Evangelion. I don't like Anno. I think he had a lot of stuff to say and most of it is nonsense. I subscribe to the notion that Eva is anti-otaku in many ways. However, it is a fantastic piece of work. It ticks so many boxes. It has a messages communicated effectively and artisitically without being too obvious or simple. The characters feel human, with depth and flaws. Overall I get why people think it's a masterpiece. But in addition to not liking some of the messages, I didn't enjoy it towards the end as much as the beginning, so from a pure enjoyment standpoint it isn't a favourite.

You concisely sum up here a lot of how I feel about Eva, actually. I love animes that through their insanely unique and intricate plot, layered character writings that creates real people with quirks, and the right aesthetic presentation don't look or feel like any other show and create an effectively self-contained world of that show that doesn't feel too generic or borrowed from other works. I think Eva did that in spades. A lot of folks don't like the older animation style, but I prefer it even and find it gorgeous. It has had so much influence on anime, whether the mecha and psychological genres or just how Westerners saw and related to the anime we got in the U.S. since it aired dubbed on American TV. It's not a sloppily put together show that only works at the surface level, and there is a lot to love about that. On top of it, the Angels' different creature designs are phenomenal and it just feels like a very lived in world.

I'm glad I watched it, but I cannot in good faith say I "enjoyed" it for a substantial portion of its runtime. I hate most of the main characters and how the show's direction chose to put them and their angst in the limelight to the point of derailing the character development of others and the rest of the plot. And also, although a lot of people seem to have a problem with this criticism, I hate the skin deep religious symbolism made to package the show in a way that doesn't really sync up with its actual content. It's just pretty costuming.
WatchTillTandavaAug 19, 2019 2:02 PM
Aug 19, 2019 1:56 PM

Jan 2019
Aybid said:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

The animation? Amazing
Characters? Amazing
Plot? Amazing
Fight Scenes? Amazing
Villains? Amazing
Openings/Endings/OSTs? Amazing

All the characters played a huge role in the long run, which is rare for most shonens.

what part of ''that isn't one of your personal favorites?'' did you don't get? xddd fma fans are so annoying

Aug 19, 2019 2:03 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
I think I'll go with Non Non Biyori, I can't really find any flaws besides personal preference.
Aug 19, 2019 2:11 PM
Nov 2016
Legend of the Galactic Heroes,no doubt about that.
Aug 19, 2019 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
I agree about Cowboy Bebop in that regard

My pick is this

Aug 19, 2019 4:16 PM
May 2018
TheoPKTNS said:
Aybid said:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

The animation? Amazing
Characters? Amazing
Plot? Amazing
Fight Scenes? Amazing
Villains? Amazing
Openings/Endings/OSTs? Amazing

All the characters played a huge role in the long run, which is rare for most shonens.

what part of ''that isn't one of your personal favorites?'' did you don't get? xddd fma fans are so annoying

ffs I read my favorite anime instead of one of my favorite.m retarded lmao
Aug 19, 2019 4:46 PM

Oct 2008
My Objective favorite anime is "D.Gray-man"

My Objective non favorite anime is "Shinsekai yori" vs "Rainbow Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin"
Aug 19, 2019 5:21 PM

Nov 2011
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Rurouni Kenshin
Code Geass
Aug 19, 2019 7:11 PM

Oct 2017
WatchTillTandava said:
TheBlockernator said:

I think from what I've seen I'm just not a huge Shinkai fan, going through what I've seen of his filmography. I'm glad to have watched them as the stories are all interesting enough, but the endings are usually a cop-out or fizzle out and the character writing and dialogue is lacking something. Even he himself said he regarded Your Name as an unfinished product that could have been better. I don't hate these films (I think I've given all I've seen average to favorable ratings in the 5 - 8 range), but there are a lot more interesting things coming out of the anime world in my view.

YossaRedMage said:

You concisely sum up here a lot of how I feel about Eva, actually. I love animes that through their insanely unique and intricate plot, layered character writings that creates real people with quirks, and the right aesthetic presentation don't look or feel like any other show and create an effectively self-contained world of that show that doesn't feel too generic or borrowed from other works. I think Eva did that in spades. A lot of folks don't like the older animation style, but I prefer it even and find it gorgeous. It has had so much influence on anime, whether the mecha and psychological genres or just how Westerners saw and related to the anime we got in the U.S. since it aired dubbed on American TV. It's not a sloppily put together show that only works at the surface level, and there is a lot to love about that. On top of it, the Angels' different creature designs are phenomenal and it just feels like a very lived in world.

I'm glad I watched it, but I cannot in good faith say I "enjoyed" it for a substantial portion of its runtime. I hate most of the main characters and how the show's direction chose to put them and their angst in the limelight to the point of derailing the character development of others and the rest of the plot. And also, although a lot of people seem to have a problem with this criticism, I hate the skin deep religious symbolism made to package the show in a way that doesn't really sync up with its actual content. It's just pretty costuming.

Sure, but it is fans who try to make out the religious symbolism has tons of depth and meaning, acting all pretentious about it. To be clear, I actually think it is a little more than pretty costuming and the religious connotations in the themes of the show are legit in many ways. However, using any kind of imagery to create an effect for atmosphere is important and artistically valid. Using religious imagery to create a feeling of grandiosity is no different from using corpses as imagery to create a morbid feel, there doesn't have to be any greater meaning behind it. Though in the case of Eva I think there's some valid interpretations to be made of such imagery.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 19, 2019 7:14 PM

Oct 2015
I'm not really sure what people base their criteria on being "objectively good" since in my eyes, most of my favorites are just that.
Aug 19, 2019 7:24 PM

Aug 2015
Cowboy Bebop
Both of the FMA series
Akira
Kaguya Hime No Monogatari

What OP is asking, any you think is like a 9, you just don't consider it a personal favorite

Aug 19, 2019 7:26 PM
Jul 2019
what animated neon genesis evangelion
Aug 19, 2019 9:56 PM

Nov 2017
Good question.

Evangelion and Akira. Eva does so much...it also kind of sucks a lot because of its shitty attitude that rubs me the wrong way.

Akira does so many amazing things right that stand out in time....I hate the way the narrative is locked up, I want a fuller adaptation.

These are the two OBJECTIVE best anime which aren't favorites at all. The two most influential anime of all time.
Aug 19, 2019 10:49 PM

May 2018
Now I think about it I think FMA is the true answer because its the highest rated anime that is not in my favorite.

Objective quality when it comes to individual don't exist. So if you want to be objective you have to look at it collectively without your own judgement.

WatchTillTandava said:
TheBlockernator said:

, but it's massively overrated and I found the writing to very weak and thin , which is honestly like some of Shinkai's other films, in my opinion. I'd put 5 Centimeter in the same category. Aesthetically pleasing, but devoid of a lot of substance beyond the packaging and initial hook of the premise.

That just your subjective evaluation, not objective.
Aug 20, 2019 12:30 AM

Jun 2019
Gorochu said:

Of course it is my subjective evaluation. I think you may have misunderstood the intentions of my post. There was no claim to objectivity within it. It wasn't an expansion of the OP, but a reply to another poster in expressing agreement about finding a certain other anime (Your Name) overrated. I just personally don't care for the writing in it and several of Shinkai's films.

YossaRedMage said:
Sure, but it is fans who try to make out the religious symbolism has tons of depth and meaning, acting all pretentious about it. To be clear, I actually think it is a little more than pretty costuming and the religious connotations in the themes of the show are legit in many ways. However, using any kind of imagery to create an effect for atmosphere is important and artistically valid. Using religious imagery to create a feeling of grandiosity is no different from using corpses as imagery to create a morbid feel, there doesn't have to be any greater meaning behind it. Though in the case of Eva I think there's some valid interpretations to be made of such imagery.

It is largely fans, yes, but my problem is when you use very specific names of deities or angels from Biblical texts and mythology and then the creators even acknowledge it was just a packaging because Christianity was foreign and exotic to Japan. It would be like if any Western film were made that may have a lot of interesting things to discuss and present, but it was all done in the trappings of Shinto, Buddhist, or Hindu kami/deities/objects of worship with only a very passing superficial understanding of them. Actually, Eastern religions are treated the same way in Western faux-deep entertainment a lot; as an indicator of exoticism, and oftentimes the meanings of these names and symbols to native worshipers is totally twisted and misappropriated.
WatchTillTandavaAug 20, 2019 12:33 AM
Aug 20, 2019 12:33 AM
Jul 2018
Akira is probably one of the most gorgeously animated films ever made, nothing comes close to being as elaborate, intricate, and fluid, but I can't say the plot or the characters made much if any impression on me.
Aug 20, 2019 12:54 AM
Jun 2017
Legends of the galactic heroes obviously, i didnt enjoy it, but that anime is perfect.
Aug 20, 2019 6:40 AM

Oct 2017
WatchTillTandava said:
Gorochu said:

Of course it is my subjective evaluation. I think you may have misunderstood the intentions of my post. There was no claim to objectivity within it. It wasn't an expansion of the OP, but a reply to another poster in expressing agreement about finding a certain other anime (Your Name) overrated. I just personally don't care for the writing in it and several of Shinkai's films.

YossaRedMage said:

It is largely fans, yes, but my problem is when you use very specific names of deities or angels from Biblical texts and mythology and then the creators even acknowledge it was just a packaging because Christianity was foreign and exotic to Japan. It would be like if any Western film were made that may have a lot of interesting things to discuss and present, but it was all done in the trappings of Shinto, Buddhist, or Hindu kami/deities/objects of worship with only a very passing superficial understanding of them. Actually, Eastern religions are treated the same way in Western faux-deep entertainment a lot; as an indicator of exoticism, and oftentimes the meanings of these names and symbols to native worshipers is totally twisted and misappropriated.

No no no. Now you're getting in to "cultural appropriation" SJW bullshittery. There's no special rules for one set of people over another. Ironically, such views represent the real racism here. Not every Japanese person knows about buddhism anymore than you can pick a random western person and expect them to know about Christianity.

Yet I bet you would have no problem were a show made in Japan to use Buddhist imagery as pure atmosphere creation, with no greater meaning.

There doesn't need to be any greater meaning. No sensible western Christian worth listening to is genuinely offended because a Japanese anime chose to use Christian imagery without having studied it. Any such person is just uptight and easily offended, and honestly such opinons would come more form an anti-anime mentality than anything else. A western Christian who is in to anime and wasn't some snowflake looking to get offended all the time would have no problem with it.

I mean... seriously, just no to that take.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 20, 2019 6:54 AM

Sep 2018
WatchTillTandava said:

Mullerio_ said:
The objetivly best show is either Monster

Is the standard Monster sets that high? I've had it in my PTW for a while and have been surprised to hear almost uniformly positive things about it around the board. I suppose like any show it has its detractors, but as a thriller fan, if it sets that high a bar for thrillers, that's enticing.

Its one of the best thrillers across the board, not just animu, i would set it above shows like Breaking bad, i still love BB but Monster goes much deeper with its overall themes.
If you don't need a very fast paced thriller this is one of the best.
Aug 20, 2019 7:14 AM

Jun 2019
YossaRedMage said:
No no no. Now you're getting in to "cultural appropriation" SJW bullshittery. There's no special rules for one set of people over another. Ironically, such views represent the real racism here. Not every Japanese person knows about buddhism anymore than you can pick a random western person and expect them to know about Christianity.

Yet I bet you would have no problem were a show made in Japan to use Buddhist imagery as pure atmosphere creation, with no greater meaning.

There doesn't need to be any greater meaning. No sensible western Christian worth listening to is genuinely offended because a Japanese anime chose to use Christian imagery without having studied it. Any such person is just uptight and easily offended, and honestly such opinons would come more form an anti-anime mentality than anything else. A western Christian who is in to anime and wasn't some snowflake looking to get offended all the time would have no problem with it.

In this case I believe you're reading a lot into my position that isn't there. I'm not concerned about hysteria over racism. I am not even a liberal ideologically in either the American or European sense of the term, so that critique really isn't applicable here. I disagree with just about every revolving door faction across the gamut of the political spectrum in the Western world, so I'm the last person that fits that bill. And this is the problem with tribalism in politics and human tribalism in general. We shouldn't be in a rush to cosign others to boxes that might not even remotely fit over any given disagreement out of a potential trillion.

I just disagree vehemently that there doesn't need to be any deeper meaning. For me, quite simply, there very much does. If I'm rating, reviewing, analyzing, and evaluating a show on its merits, that is very much one of said merits (or lack thereof). I don't like superficial trappings imposed over something to create empty allusions that aren't supported substantively in the main body of the work. It's artistic license and an aesthetic choice, but not one I care for so that will be reflected in my rating and opinion of the show here or in any other similar hypothetical.

It isn't a matter of offense at all. I'm not a Christian and I'm not offended, nor am I offended by proxy on behalf of random Christians or anything like that. I'm not a person known to ever be "offended" in that way in real life, nevermind anime, by anything and there is nothing to conceivably be offended over here. More like it's just devoid of substance and rather distracting and seemingly useless when you realize that. I've never heard an actual argument for what substance it has coherently advanced by anyone inside or outside of Eva fandom. Until that day, my position stands firm in that regard. It's just a weak point of the anime to me.

If you don't see it that way, that's fine as it's ultimately down to preference and taste, but it definitely is a major detracting point for me.

And I would have a problem with any show, Japanese or Western or otherwise, using any faith so superfluously, again, not because of any offense, but it just comes off as cheap and tacky; a lazy, ham-fisted way to add unearned gravitas to any story. Like anyone else in the world, I'm not a superhuman philosopher king and there's plenty I don't know, so my response to it, whether it was an issue relating to the Abrahamic or Dharmic faiths or anything else outside of religion completely would be directly proportionate to my knowledge and awareness of the subject being butchered.

WatchTillTandavaAug 20, 2019 7:21 AM
Aug 20, 2019 2:45 PM

Jun 2019
Lunilah said:
FuriousNutSlaps said:
If season 2 had better production, i would hold it in higher regard than season 1 actually. Also you disabled profile comments.
Despite having a better production budget it still didn't have the staff the first season had. There were missing tons of talents of the industry.

Why though? Because the actual plot was a thing in the sequel? Because of Garou?
Aug 20, 2019 2:52 PM
Jul 2018
I honestly think it's Patlabor 2.
It's not necessarily my favorite movie, but I do believe it is the best anime ever made. Under a completely critical lens.

I prefer my trashy moe shit, but that would be the actual highlight of the medium.
Aug 20, 2019 2:54 PM

Oct 2014
FuriousNutSlaps said:
Lunilah said:
Despite having a better production budget it still didn't have the staff the first season had. There were missing tons of talents of the industry.

Why though? Because the actual plot was a thing in the sequel? Because of Garou?
Because the story of ONE in OPM is very intelligent, and Garou is actually the protagonist who goes through an actual heroes journey. Saitama is more of a plot device, because if we got more of the same it would be boring since we seen it all already. I'm not saying production in terms of budget, i'm saying strictly quality. The staff that did S1 was doing Boogiepop at the time, so i have that on my PTW.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Aug 20, 2019 5:26 PM

Oct 2017
WatchTillTandava said:
YossaRedMage said:

In this case I believe you're reading a lot into my position that isn't there. I'm not concerned about hysteria over racism. I am not even a liberal ideologically in either the American or European sense of the term, so that critique really isn't applicable here. I disagree with just about every revolving door faction across the gamut of the political spectrum in the Western world, so I'm the last person that fits that bill. And this is the problem with tribalism in politics and human tribalism in general. We shouldn't be in a rush to cosign others to boxes that might not even remotely fit over any given disagreement out of a potential trillion.

I just disagree vehemently that there doesn't need to be any deeper meaning. For me, quite simply, there very much does. If I'm rating, reviewing, analyzing, and evaluating a show on its merits, that is very much one of said merits (or lack thereof). I don't like superficial trappings imposed over something to create empty allusions that aren't supported substantively in the main body of the work. It's artistic license and an aesthetic choice, but not one I care for so that will be reflected in my rating and opinion of the show here or in any other similar hypothetical.

It isn't a matter of offense at all. I'm not a Christian and I'm not offended, nor am I offended by proxy on behalf of random Christians or anything like that. I'm not a person known to ever be "offended" in that way in real life, nevermind anime, by anything and there is nothing to conceivably be offended over here. More like it's just devoid of substance and rather distracting and seemingly useless when you realize that. I've never heard an actual argument for what substance it has coherently advanced by anyone inside or outside of Eva fandom. Until that day, my position stands firm in that regard. It's just a weak point of the anime to me.

If you don't see it that way, that's fine as it's ultimately down to preference and taste, but it definitely is a major detracting point for me.

And I would have a problem with any show, Japanese or Western or otherwise, using any faith so superfluously, again, not because of any offense, but it just comes off as cheap and tacky; a lazy, ham-fisted way to add unearned gravitas to any story. Like anyone else in the world, I'm not a superhuman philosopher king and there's plenty I don't know, so my response to it, whether it was an issue relating to the Abrahamic or Dharmic faiths or anything else outside of religion completely would be directly proportionate to my knowledge and awareness of the subject being butchered.

I honestly don't think you can justify that POV, though. It doesn't hold up under scrutiny unless you're playing the cultural appropriation route, which has good arguments against it. It seems that isn't your angle (and I respect your rebuke of tribal politics btw) so I struggle to see any justification for your negative judgement.

How is it cheap and tacky? It's just imagery. All good art uses imagery to create atmosphere. That's like 99% of painting thoughout history. Nature scenes to create a relaxing feeling for example. Hell, religious imagery has been used in paintings throughout history - highly regarded works of art - with no particular meaning other than to create the same atmoshpheric effect for which Eva uses the same imagery. At the very least, the practise should be judged neutrally. I cannot wrap my head around how it makes a show worse.

You say there has to be deeper meaning, but I think you're imposing special requirements either because it's religious imagery specifically, or because it's Eva. Either way, I would be willing to bet some of your favourite anime use plenty of imagery with no particular meaning behind it.

By the way, unrelated, but from 13 shared anime we have 0%/0% affinity. First time I've seen that lol.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 20, 2019 5:48 PM

Jul 2007
Luchse75 said:
EndlessMaria said:

the fact that you post Saitama solidifies your shit taste. Next thread.

You can't really call out someone having a shit taste while you yourself gave mirai niki a score of 10, considering how big of a dumpster fire that anime is...

Mirai Nikki is a masterpiece. It makes me feel emotions.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 20, 2019 6:28 PM

Apr 2017
For me I'd have to say Jojo, I just couldn't get into the story and dropped it after 4 episodes.
@EndlessMaria I loved Mirai Nikki too

Aug 20, 2019 7:03 PM
Jul 2018
AnimeAnima said:

@EndlessMaria I loved Mirai Nikki too

All that means is that you share her absolute shit taste. Seriously, Mirai Nikki?
Aug 20, 2019 7:09 PM

Mar 2016
That's a hard one since objectivity of "best anime" is still subjective. If I had to pick one, though, it'd be either Monster, Cowboy Bebop, or 3-gatsu no Lion.
Aug 20, 2019 7:11 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Gonna have to give that to FMA:B tbh. Can't really think of any others atm.
Aug 21, 2019 2:56 AM

Mar 2018
@EndlessMaria To each their own i guess

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Aug 21, 2019 3:22 AM

Nov 2016
Pylia said:
The "objectively" best anime I'm not a fan of?!

I'd say Miru Tights fits this description to the T, as it perfectly fulfills its intentions, and therefore becomes a truly satisfactory experience for the audience it aims for.

I would've preferred longer eps but you aren't wrong either
Aug 21, 2019 10:01 AM

Jul 2015
There is a certain level of objectivity to art however it only goes so far.In anime terms there are anime that are well drawn and animated, have good scores (music), are competently written and are well acted. These are things that can be objectively determined. However, that doesn't say anything else about them. Objectivity only comes from an accepted standard. So, if things vary from the standard how can they be judged objectively good or bad. That only comes from your opinion. To claim some anime is objectively good can only cover the base levels of production quality. Even low budget stuff can be far better than high budget due to numerous factors. There just isn't a strong baseline for objectivity beyond a generally accepted average.
"Few, but ripe." - C.F. Gauss
Aug 21, 2019 10:10 AM

Sep 2014
I can't really relate to this feeling, I don't believe in this grand quality existing outside of our perceptions.

Maaaybe something like Aoi Bungaku, that I personally feel and consider very good, it's just not something I particularly care for thematically and aesthetically that much. I can appreciate it, just not enjoy as much as things that I also consider very well made but more in the style I have a soft spot for. But I don't know if the talk about objectivity applies here.
I don't believe it's objectively good as in, regardless of people's opinions on it, but I feel is very good and can see it's just not entirely to my taste.
Aug 21, 2019 10:15 AM

Oct 2017
Why would I say something is the best if it's not my favourite?
Aug 21, 2019 2:27 PM

Jun 2019
YossaRedMage said:

I honestly don't think you can justify that POV, though. It doesn't hold up under scrutiny unless you're playing the cultural appropriation route, which has good arguments against it. It seems that isn't your angle (and I respect your rebuke of tribal politics btw) so I struggle to see any justification for your negative judgement.

How is it cheap and tacky? It's just imagery. All good art uses imagery to create atmosphere. That's like 99% of painting thoughout history. Nature scenes to create a relaxing feeling for example. Hell, religious imagery has been used in paintings throughout history - highly regarded works of art - with no particular meaning other than to create the same atmoshpheric effect for which Eva uses the same imagery. At the very least, the practise should be judged neutrally. I cannot wrap my head around how it makes a show worse.

You say there has to be deeper meaning, but I think you're imposing special requirements either because it's religious imagery specifically, or because it's Eva. Either way, I would be willing to bet some of your favourite anime use plenty of imagery with no particular meaning behind it.

By the way, unrelated, but from 13 shared anime we have 0%/0% affinity. First time I've seen that lol.

I'd say it ultimately comes to prominence. Yes, you're correct in that everything contains references to things that might not always be further supported and fleshed out, but it becomes much more of a problem for me when they are featured prominently and focused on as, in the case of Eva, the primary antagonists of the story. It isn't comparable to some background music or a scroll on the wall containing some text or image of an icon that isn't further expanded upon. These are the names collectively and individually of all your villains, the manner in which they die, and outside of the Angels, a big part of the plot in its entirety with the Biblical allusions to Adam and Eve and the Book of Genesis. Something more meaningful has to be justified because it's not just treated as some background noise or spice, but pretty central.

On being against it just because it's Eva, a lot on here may find my comments to be overly critical or harsh of Eva with this issue with the symbolism and my dislike of the protagonists, but it's not like I have some inherent prejudice or vendetta against the show or that I had undue expectations of it. I barely knew anything about it until weeks before watching and only remembered it being advertised on TV vaguely from childhood. And I certainly didn't set out to dislike it and for a sizable percentage of its runtime, I didn't. There's a lot I like, but a few things which really irk and drive it down for me and I cannot overlook, which is why my rating reflects that mixed feeling. Some shows might be a 5 or a 6 in my book because they were just meh and middling, insignificant and unremarkable with no impressions of note made, giving nothing to think about or dissect and are just bubblegum fluff entertainment. Not bad but just light amusement. That certainly wasn't the case with Eva. There were aspects I loved and those I hated, but it's better than passing by with no impact and I figure it's a good in itself to rile people up and create a discussion.

On the shared anime, I hadn't checked that but it's interesting. The least surprising, naturally, was the disparity in our Eva ratings. Some people just seek very different things in what they hope to get out of their anime content and I think that's just dandy.
Aug 21, 2019 3:22 PM
Jul 2018
Bunille said:
Why would I say something is the best if it's not my favourite?

Because you value the vision and craftsmanship behind the work, even if it's not exactly your cup of tea.

I wouldn't stand here and claim that my favorite anime of all time, Himouto Umaru-chan, is the best ever made.
It's lowbrow bunk, but that is exactly what I go for. Unashamedly so, in fact.
Aug 21, 2019 3:43 PM

Aug 2015
I don't believe in pure objectivity, but I think some kind of objective analysis can be achieved, and I feel kind of sorry for people who are unable to make the difference between standards of quality and personal taste. They are clearly missing a lot. (Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I still can't get around some of the things I've read in some of the previous comments)

That said, I'm not very original, specially when it comes to trying to be objective. I think that from a perspective as much objective as it can get, Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Monster are some of the best things ever made. But I can't talk about them because they are actually in my favorites. So I'll make my point with Samurai Champloo instead.

I liked Samurai Champloo but I didn't love it, and the reason is simple: it didn't get me. However, I realize it's one of the best things I've seen. The quality of the art, the storytelling, the pace, the music was awesome. Very well structered, paying attention to all the details, but without falling completely into the norm. It was a true piece of art, but it just wasn't "my" piece of art. However, not being the type of piece of art I prefer doesn't make it any less amazing.

So I really think it's possible to appreciate what's really good without it systematically becoming one of your favorites, and that for me was Samurai Champloo.

Aug 21, 2019 3:45 PM
Demon Venerable

Apr 2018
FMAB and HxH(2011) both long ones and still every episode is just 10/10 in every aspect.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 1 hour ago

39 by Kenzolo-folk »»
39 seconds ago

» Do you have any special memories from the anime fandom?

RobertBobert - Today

3 by JaniSIr »»
41 seconds ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 3 hours ago

9 by billybub »»
54 seconds ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 1 hour ago

16 by Nurguburu »»
2 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.