Forum Settings
Forums

Why won't more Western artists draw anime style of cute girls ? ( Also known as Moe-Art in Japan )

New
Aug 17, 2019 3:00 AM

Nov 2017
Guys, why won't more Western artists draw more art applying anime style drawing of cute girls ? ( Also known as Moe-Art in Japan )

Regardless of whether one draws moe style or realistic style, it doesn't change the fact that the requirement for mastering the drawing of body anatomy is important for good full-body drawing of the characters in any pose or expression you want those characters to do.

I think more Western artists should draw that style, as I personally like it to see people outside of Japan break the Japanese monopoly on that kind of art style, as I see many comments in Japanese forums that doubt Western people's ability to draw Moe-style, so I'd like for Westerners to prove such people in Japan wrong.

Art is art, regardless of whether it is drawn in Moe style or realistic style, so anyone with the effort and time for it should be able to learn it, as it is not rocket science where only one with the smarts, resources and finances can master it.....

I know there is a prejudice and negative opinion of most normies in the West of such drawings as it concerns issues related to sensitive topics, but people need to mature and different between fictional and real life people, and not link it to real life morality issues. Be like Japan and grow up instead of blaming fiction for any wrongdoing or crimes in real life. Video games and anime doesn't cause crime. People do.

Also, I don't consider some Disney or Pixar characters with big eyes as "Moe-style", even though the eyes are drawn big, since the nose and mouth and cheeks are still drawn in realistic style, and I often read comments in Japanese that those art looks "Kimochi warui", or "gross", "disturbing". To draw the Japanese way of Moe-art, the nose and mouth needs to be as small as possible to make them look cute instead of deformed monstrosities.
EhurvaksAug 17, 2019 3:05 AM
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
Aug 17, 2019 3:46 AM

May 2013
Not sure what you are truly getting at.

There is a massive comic industry in the western world. Characters look just as varied and realistic as they appear in the japanese counterparts. Disney and Pixar are only a small section of the entire lot. They don't have to prove anything because they have an art-style that finds appeal among western people.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 17, 2019 3:52 AM

Jun 2016
Because they'll be accused of sexism and cultural appropriation
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 17, 2019 5:36 AM

Feb 2010
1. Moe is not an artstyle, it's an effect that a character or a work has on people which can be achieved in all kinds of different styles. Kaiji is as moe as K-on is, if not more.

2. 'Anime Style' is not a real thing, there are thousands of different art styles even in Japan and the anime industry and trying to summarize a whole medium in one artstyle is disingenious,

3. Why are you bringing crimes into the conversation? Wtf does any of that have to do with moe?

4. I often read comments about 'moe' characters calling them disturbing and deformed because they have no nose and alien-sized eyes. Not sure what those qualities have to do with 'mastering the drawing of body anatomy' either. You can trashtalk Pixar art as 'deformed monstrosities', I can do the same to a lot of anime people call moe. Because how much fun is liking something without trashing everyting else as garbage, am I right?

5. "I want more of this because I like it." - Good for you, why should we care?

6. There are actually french and english 'manga' as a kind of niche genre and one of them (Radiant) even got an anime adaption recently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manfra
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_English-language_manga

7. In conclusion, people like you who like exactly one artstyle and think it represents all of anime or even Japan and the west should ideally adapt that same style as well because any other artstyle looks 'gross' or 'deformed' or whatever other uninspired insults you come up with, people like you stand for everything I dislike about anime fans.

The closed-minded-ness, the fixation on one style while trashing everything else (in or outside of anime), the glorification of Japan and random disdain for the west that is the literal definition of 'weeb', the complete lack of appreciation for art and animation as a form of individualistic expression and instead wanting it to be uniform and all have the same look without a shred of individuality or creativity in there.

You don't appreciate art and animation for its strenghts - different, individual styles, the variety of those styles and techniques in the overall medium, the endless creativity of coming up with new looks and ways of drawing things instead of rinse-and-repeating one style and churning out products in that style like a factory rather than works of art or entertainment.

You see one style you like and want everything to look like that without caring about the other 99,9% of possibilities the artform opens up, or in your case even explicitly trashing those other stylesas 'ugly' or deformed. You've barely even seen 1% of the anime that tap into that style you like but already want to replace other styles with the one you approve of. Because a couple of thousand anime is not enough, we also need to make Pixar and Dreamworks and Disney and every animation studio around the globe look like that one artstyle you can handle, right? Who needs variety if everything can look the same! Praise to uniformity, Glory to sameness!

tl;dr - shit thread. Different styles exist because that's what art and animation is all about. Don't like it? Don't watch it. Maybe the medium is not for you if you only like one style.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 17, 2019 5:42 AM

Jun 2019
Look at Fievel Goes West and the cute mouse girls in that. I remember watching them as a kid and thinking how cute the mouse girls were. Or what about Jessica rabbit, you couldn't get more cute and sexy than her. Then more recently you've got Pixar (the cute kids in Monsters Inc) and Dreamworks (the cute girl in Troll Hunters). There's plenty of examples, you just need to look for them.

But yeah, Japanese anime moe girls are pretty damn cute (look at my profile pic of Latina for a perfect example).
Aug 17, 2019 5:48 AM

Oct 2010
This is almost ProudAsian level of posting, you should've add some pics to prove your point. You're kinda missing the point, moe means cute, characters that are meant to look cute, Tamayura girls look cute and even the main girl from Kaiba is cute, but the art styles are different, there's no moe art style. Some characters in western media are cute but they don't say moe, why should they? the french word for cute is mignon.
Satisfied?
Aug 17, 2019 5:57 AM

Jul 2013
*facepalms* Because western artists simply don't do things that way. They're not here to cater to your fixation of saccharine surface anatomy of the face upon characters.
Aug 17, 2019 7:20 AM

Jul 2016
But...why? There's so many interesting different art styles running around both sides of the ocean. Just as Japan has a ton of different art styles so does the west. I find it worthy of celebration if there's any sort of cross-culture exchange of styles since that's how new stuff and experimentation comes out. I don't see why there needs to be some sort of breaking of the "monopoly" of the Japanese "moe" style. I certainly don't hear complaints in Japan calling artist to do more art styled after the west.

And it seems someone doesn't know some anime history but just for context: the "anime art style" was modeled after Disney's back in the day which is why they have the indicative large eyes in the first place...
Aug 17, 2019 7:27 AM

Dec 2017
That's mainly a cultural thing. Westerners aren't particularly fond of big eyes like japanese are.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Aug 17, 2019 7:30 AM

Feb 2015
Modern western cartoon characters are usually supposed to look funny or grotesque (like Big Mouths), they rarely look aesthetically pleasing
AshitaNoJonasAug 17, 2019 7:53 AM
Aug 17, 2019 7:52 AM
Jul 2018
I remember there was a controversy when an animator of Miraculous Ladybug, Thomas Astruc, posted an NSFW image of the character and had to remove it because of fan reactions
Aug 17, 2019 9:02 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Because different preferences exist.
Aug 17, 2019 9:25 AM

Oct 2016
Ehurvaks said:

Art is art, regardless of whether it is drawn in Moe style or realistic style, so anyone with the effort and time for it should be able to learn it, as it is not rocket science where only one with the smarts, resources and finances can master it.....

Japanese people have an obsession with cuteness, no one can do it as nicely and as originally as the japanese do it. They turned Dragons to dragon lolis, Vampires to Vampire lolis, turned Metal music into Babymetal, you name it and they can make it cute. It's the other way around for western media, they can make it more gruesome. This also reflects in JRPGs and WRPGs, western games never had cute enemies like slime, it has always been a mature and realistic DnD kinda adventure originally.

Aug 17, 2019 9:28 AM

Oct 2016
Japan is the "master" of cuteness, surely one can watch and learn, but to create something originally as cute as Japan, or say, an alternative to moe or a western moe, that would require an "exception"al person in the literal sense of the word.

Aug 17, 2019 9:34 AM

Oct 2016
amanakeet said:
Ehurvaks said:

Japanese people have an obsession with cuteness, no one can do it as nicely and as originally as the japanese do it. They turned Dragons to dragon lolis, Vampires to Vampire lolis, turned Metal music into Babymetal, you name it and they can make it cute. It's the other way around for western media, they can make it more gruesome. This also reflects in JRPGs and WRPGs, western games never had cute enemies like slime, it has always been a mature and realistic DnD kinda adventure originally.

Before people start lashing out on me, I do acknowledge the existence of exceptions such as manly animes in Japan, and cute cartoons in the West like Powerpuff girls, but it is all about the majority, the Japanese people, when asked on street if Japanese people would like Babymetal usually replied "No, these girls have a strong persona, here everyone likes cute stuff".

So in the end it boils down to preference as @MeisterDM says
MeisterDM said:
Because different preferences exist.

Majority preference

Aug 17, 2019 9:40 AM

Oct 2016
Ehurvaks said:

Also, I don't consider some Disney or Pixar characters with big eyes as "Moe-style", even though the eyes are drawn big, since the nose and mouth and cheeks are still drawn in realistic style, and I often read comments in Japanese that those art looks "Kimochi warui", or "gross", "disturbing". To draw the Japanese way of Moe-art, the nose and mouth needs to be as small as possible to make them look cute instead of deformed monstrosities.

I just find it hard to believe too that they straightly hit you with that "Kimochi Warui" and "Disturbing" when they see Disney Princesses, I don't know what sociopaths you mingle with but don't be bothered by it at least. Why take it as a personal challenge and having this insatiable desire to prove them wrong by making western artists draw "moe" for you.

Aug 17, 2019 9:46 AM

Oct 2016
Ehurvaks said:

I know there is a prejudice and negative opinion of most normies in the West of such drawings as it concerns issues related to sensitive topics, but people need to mature and different between fictional and real life people, and not link it to real life morality issues. Be like Japan and grow up instead of blaming fiction for any wrongdoing or crimes in real life. Video games and anime doesn't cause crime. People do.

Generic weeb thread. "West should so be like all grown up Japan already".

Aug 17, 2019 11:51 AM

Oct 2017
Interesting question. On the one hand, I'd rather western artists didn't draw in moe style so it stays unique to Japanese otaku culture. On the other hand... actually there is not other hand, but I'm still curious just like OP.

KreatorX said:

There is a massive comic industry in the western world. Characters look just as varied and realistic as they appear in the japanese counterparts. Disney and Pixar are only a small section of the entire lot. They don't have to prove anything because they have an art-style that finds appeal among western people.

Not sure if purposefully ignorant or just dumb. Just because there are comics and they have varied style doesn't change the fact that there is close to zero examples of western cartoons using moe art style.

Theo1899 said:
Because they'll be accused of sexism and cultural appropriation

A good take.

@Pullman

Western media is shit. Moe art looks best of all art styles. Weebs > you. Stop being a snobby pretentious triggered pathetic little anti. Dude just likes the moe art style and wants to know why there isn't more of it in the west but you have to come in with your hateful rant.

People like you stand for eveything I dislike about anime fans. Thankfully you're in the minority. You stick out like a hideous wart that needs removing. Take your anti-otaku, anti-community, self-aggrandizing bullshit and stick it up your ass.

That goes for the other "leave Britany alone" crying western apologists in this thread. This an anime forum for anime fans. Don't be surprised when the majority here prefer anime art style. Jesus Christ some people need to be ejector-seated out of this community...
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Aug 17, 2019 12:02 PM

May 2013
YossaRedMage said:
Interesting question. On the one hand, I'd rather western artists didn't draw in moe style so it stays unique to Japanese otaku culture. On the other hand... actually there is not other hand, but I'm still curious just like OP.

KreatorX said:

Not sure if purposefully ignorant or just dumb. Just because there are comics and they have varied style doesn't change the fact that there is close to zero examples of western cartoons using moe art style.

Uh..perhaps both? There's a reason why I explicitly asked what OP was getting at.

He says "Why doesn't west have more moe-art". Then layers down the argument with tangents such as what accounts for 'realistic', 'disgusting','gross' , only to use Disney and Pixar as his candidates.

My immediate understanding was that there isn't a market for "mOe-ArT" in the west, and I merely described why western artists won't make moe-art since they don't have to prove anything to the japanese people, since the latter isn't their target market.

If this understanding is wrong, that's precisely why I asked in the first place. :D
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 17, 2019 1:12 PM

May 2009
I feel that at least one of the following is probably true:

* OP has not noticed cute non-Japanese character-art styles
* OP has not never browsed deviantArt or a (western) anime convention's art room before
* OP is basically projecting their love of cute anime grills onto everyone else and saying that they should have the same taste

Ehurvaks said:
Regardless of whether one draws moe style or realistic style, it doesn't change the fact that the requirement for mastering the drawing of body anatomy is important for good full-body drawing of the characters in any pose or expression you want those characters to do.

I think more Western artists should draw that style, as I personally like it to see people outside of Japan break the Japanese monopoly on that kind of art style, as I see many comments in Japanese forums that doubt Western people's ability to draw Moe-style, so I'd like for Westerners to prove such people in Japan wrong.
Okay, let's be quite clear about something: the anime art style familiy is NOT known for realism. It is literally known for "big eyes, small mouth".

Maybe various other body parts can look more realistically-proportioned than Dexter's Lab or Powerpuff Girls. But this completely ignores the realm of chibi stuff. Oh, and in the same way, Batman the Animated Series is more realistically-proportioned than Pop Team Epic.

By the way, if you want western animation to make more use of realistic body proportions, demand more drama shows from western animation studios. Because those stories can't get away with looking silly or exaggerating features as much.
GlennMagusHarveyAug 17, 2019 1:17 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 17, 2019 1:24 PM

Oct 2013
Do you mean on western comic books? I think it's because of the topics. Rarely do western comics are about romance, so there's not a necessity to draw characters in that manner. When female characters are supposed to be attractive, they're always adult women and therefore they do not have such infantilized faces (an example could be Major Kusanagi in the original GitS film).
If you're talking about animation, western animation is mostly comedy oriented and because of that they use a lot of caricaturization, which makes the use of "realistic" anatomy a hidrance, given the slapstick nature of a lot of this animations.
A last point, the "west" is too proud of itself to adopt foreign artstyles
Aug 17, 2019 1:30 PM
May 2019
They have no culture Japan and MOE FTW.

Aug 17, 2019 1:52 PM

Aug 2018
Ehurvaks said:
Guys, why won't more Western artists draw more art applying anime style drawing of cute girls ? ( Also known as Moe-Art in Japan )

They do. A lot.

And that is relevant to your point because? What even is your point?
"Ah yes guys eating healthy food is good it doesnt matter if they are vegeatbles or meat"

"I wanna! I wanna! I wanna! I wanna!"
I can't give a single shit what japanese people think they overwork animators while paying them in peanuts. cof cof 393 hours. Their anime taste its also beyond laughable and the whole print manga industry should burn in hell.
No one's life should be so pathetic to have the need to prove others wrong in something as dumb as "I can draw lolis better than you"

Is that an american joke im too european to get? Anyone can learn anything you are just spitting bs now.

... wow

You do realize that even these days japan still produces an absurd amount of anime girls with massive eyes?
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Aug 17, 2019 2:05 PM

Aug 2017
Can you imagine shrek with cute anime girls eyes? Plz just no
Different artstyles is the basis of animation and art.If everything looked the same it would be so boring.Also not all anime has big eyes (ex:tatami galaxy,JoJo,monster etc.)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2019 2:09 PM

Aug 2017
Pullman said:

I agree so much with you.You did an awsome response:so mature and smart ^.^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2019 2:17 PM

Nov 2008
Calarts and the NPCs infesting the animation industry in the US are to blame.

Aug 19, 2019 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
Ehurvaks said:

the only thing you missed are, moe isn't just about the art style. ever watched "song of the sea" (i'm really glad i learn english so i can watch this), i find saiorse moe.

Ehurvaks said:
I think more Western artists should draw that style, as I personally like it to see people outside of Japan break the Japanese monopoly on that kind of art style

why should they? i don't have any problem if you think like that though

Ehurvaks said:
as I see many comments in Japanese forums that doubt Western people's ability to draw Moe-style

YES I AM (got that reference?)

Ehurvaks said:
so I'd like for Westerners to prove such people in Japan wrong.

westerners don't need to do that, they already fine this way. why westerners always want to dominate on anything?

Ehurvaks said:

you just looking down on art? art is not something you can learn without talent, it is really depend on your sense. you are right with resources and finances though

Ehurvaks said:
Be like Japan and grow up instead of blaming fiction for any wrongdoing or crimes in real life. Video games and anime doesn't cause crime. People do.

you are wrong about this, there are a lot of people blaming about games and anime in japan too (don't just relate to people on the internet) and it became somewhat more worse after kyoani incident (but it is not that bad actually, i mean it is not like someone will do protest about anime or something)

Ehurvaks said:

the art style is not moe indeed, but i find some characters moe though. not because how they are drawn but because their character.
Aug 19, 2019 9:46 PM

Jan 2009
i do not get it too especially that cartoons usually have 3-4 times the budget of an average anime episode so certaintly their animators are paid enough to draw things as beautiful looking as anime from japan right? but nope and from the limited experience i have with american cartoons i do not see sakuga animation scenes like the ones on Sword of the Strranger sword fights like damn wtf im speaking of 2D animation here btw
Aug 19, 2019 9:54 PM
Jul 2018
CordobezEverdeen said:

No one's life should be so pathetic to have the need to prove others wrong in something as dumb as "I can draw lolis better than you"

you got the point sir.

i don't agree with
Their anime taste its also beyond laughable and the whole print manga industry should burn in hell.

i mean, if you have problem with it why would you even bother to still watch it? i myself can't understand western comedy so i don't watch western comedy film. (it's not like i watch westerns film that much though)

amanakeet said:
I just find it hard to believe too that they straightly hit you with that "Kimochi Warui" and "Disturbing" when they see Disney Princesses, I don't know what sociopaths you mingle with but don't be bothered by it at least. Why take it as a personal challenge and having this insatiable desire to prove them wrong by making western artists draw "moe" for you.

i personally never met a person who thinks disney princesses disturbing, in fact some girls in my class back in high school loves them. i don't know about people on the internet though, people can lost their insanity on the internet
Aug 19, 2019 9:56 PM
Jul 2018
Catalano said:
This is almost ProudAsian level of posting, you should've add some pics to prove your point. You're kinda missing the point, moe means cute, characters that are meant to look cute, Tamayura girls look cute and even the main girl from Kaiba is cute, but the art styles are different, there's no moe art style. Some characters in western media are cute but they don't say moe, why should they? the french word for cute is mignon.
Satisfied?

you misinterpreted "moe" word but you got the point right.
Aug 28, 2019 9:35 AM

Jan 2013
YossaRedMage said:

@Pullman

Western media is shit. Moe art looks best of all art styles. Weebs > you. Stop being a snobby pretentious triggered pathetic little anti. Dude just likes the moe art style and wants to know why there isn't more of it in the west but you have to come in with your hateful rant.

People like you stand for eveything I dislike about anime fans. Thankfully you're in the minority. You stick out like a hideous wart that needs removing. Take your anti-otaku, anti-community, self-aggrandizing bullshit and stick it up your ass.

That goes for the other "leave Britany alone" crying western apologists in this thread. This an anime forum for anime fans. Don't be surprised when the majority here prefer anime art style. Jesus Christ some people need to be ejector-seated out of this community...
Lmfao that's a good one. The ironic part is that Pullman is one of the more open minded ones. ;)

>jesus christ some people need to be ejector-seated out of this community...
You should take your own advice.

@Pullman Nicely put.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Aug 28, 2019 10:14 AM

Sep 2014
Xstasy said:
They have no culture Japan and MOE FTW.

lmao I actually watched that one in the middle (As Told By Ginger) when I was a kid

I think the closest they tried to imitate the anime style was Martin Mystery/Totally Spies/Avatar: the Last Airbender

« »
đź”® Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Aug 28, 2019 10:22 AM

Jul 2013
I think the western animation industry needs to stray away from Comedy for awhile before caring about the animation.

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

64 by Haneken2086 »»
56 seconds ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

37 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
11 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

67 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
14 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 9 hours ago

29 by Jackson1333 »»
15 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

66 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.