Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 20, 2019 7:06 PM

Jul 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I find very interesting how the wild variety of shots in interesting angles is making the Wano experience vastly more dynamic in terms of cinematography, even during the more uneventful scenes.

The pacing was smooth and there weren't any overdone moments and awkward pauses this time around.

I expected a bit more of an expansion on Ace's stay on Wano as filler to cover like more than half of this episode to be honest, but there wasn't anything like that in here (some extra couple of shots).

Yet another solid episode 4,25/5

Special arc coming next week starring Boa Hancock. Apparently a 2-part filler.
DanpmssJul 20, 2019 7:52 PM
Jul 20, 2019 7:31 PM

Jan 2008
Looks like the next two weeks will be a promo for the next One Piece movie. I can get behind that.

Poor Tama. It's hard to deal with the fact that Ace is gone. To think that her hero would be dead and she's finding out so suddenly. I can't imagine what that kind of experience must be like for an 8-year old.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Jul 20, 2019 7:39 PM
Apr 2016
What in the hell that was an unexpected plot twist, goddamn poor Tama... Luffy must've felt bad for eating the rice, but oh well, he didn't know. Luffy was awfully honest about Ace's death, again, poor Tama. It was very like Luffy to say it so casually and straight-to-reality, though. Wano is a horrible country, I had no clue it was like that. Seems like another member of the worst generation is joining the arc, it's X Drake. So, Hawkins works under Kaido, I wonder whether he's scheming something, to like overthrow him perhaps? Not sure, but it seems like he complied instead of fighting Kaido, unlike Kid.

Good episode, however, the voice acting wasn't properly synced with the mouth movement, making it quite awkward. Hopefully they'll work it out as the arc goes.
Jul 20, 2019 8:06 PM
Feb 2013
A definite 5/5 episode for me.

Amazing visuals compiled with some extremely emotional, heartfelt scenes. I admittedly got teary eyed. Also what a great twist near the middle of the episode too. Took me completely off guard as an anime only.

I would have liked a bit more filler where they explore the Ace and Tama relationship a bit more but regardless I thoroughly enjoyed this episode.
Jul 20, 2019 8:32 PM

Mar 2017
I screamed SAME when the Tengu said:

"Otama was especially attached to him"

Ace ;-;

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Jul 20, 2019 8:38 PM

Oct 2015
Ahhh Luffy just had to tell Tama about Ace's death in that situation, wrong timing my guy! I get why he did it, but you can wait a bit after she had recovered and then tell her.

That side story in the preview got me excited, I can't wait to see Luffy and Hancock in an adventure.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 20, 2019 9:15 PM

Oct 2017
Really, really loving the animation. <3 This episode just pretty much made me cry—thinking again what Kaidou and his people did to Wano and missing Ace so, so bad it hurts ;;;;;
Jul 20, 2019 9:52 PM
Oct 2018
Boa hancock next week?!?! Cant wait!!!!!!
Jul 20, 2019 10:30 PM

Aug 2015
Huh, interesting way to pronounce Drake's name: "Diez" Drake. I always thought it was just "X" Drake.

They handled the episode really good, and the visuals really helped. I still think Ace's role was wasted on the series, but in a certain way he was the first prove to Luffy that he needed to mature, on this arc he will prove that a lot.

It seems like there will be a filler/movie promo next week. Well I don't particularly care, since Wano has been adapted very well so far, and this arc will be extremely long.
Jul 20, 2019 10:32 PM

May 2018
The visual remain consistently great. Even the staff know this could be the potentially best arc in One Piece perhaps, that is why more effort put in compare to all other One Piece's arcs. Filler next week. I will just skip it.
Jul 20, 2019 10:53 PM

May 2016
Couldn't stop my tears halfway through Otama really is an angel.

filler for next week hope we get few minutes of Hancock.
Jul 20, 2019 10:53 PM

Mar 2015
Otama too cute, so sad to see how she was waiting for someone who will never return :(

Filler episodes? They look alright!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 20, 2019 11:31 PM

Jul 2016
LordofEcchi said:
Boa hancock next week?!?! Cant wait!!!!!!

Best news of the week to date
Jul 20, 2019 11:55 PM
Jan 2019
What an episode, but so touching and emotional: '). I think something broke inside me. Otama is so cute, good and sweet, and when Luffy told her so coldly that Ace had died (well, that's how Luffy is), it made me want to cry to see her reaction. In the few weeks that Ace was in Wano, he gained the love and appreciation of Otama. So much so, that she waited for his return until this moment. It is a pity. Poor Otama, he gets sick and on top of that, they give him terrible news. The worst birthday present! :( Damn, she deserves to be happy, the drop that spilled the glass was those beautiful scenes that showed us of Ace with Otoma, really beautiful.

Damn X Drake, I was disappointed. I know he's a pirate now, but he was a Marine before. And even for that, he held himself against the village of Otama>: v. Oh, and it seems that Basil Hawkins wants to get a good beating.

Well, stop crying. Next week, there is a filler episode. I hope to laugh a little. Actually, I hope to see Hancock again 😏 xD.
Jul 21, 2019 12:27 AM

Sep 2014
Pretty good episode. It's always great to see Ace. Didn't expect a side-story next week. Actually, I'm excited for this.
Jul 21, 2019 12:37 AM

Oct 2017
The flashbacks of Ace almst made me cry. Felt bad for Otama , reminded me of Luffy after Ace's death. Also we will finally see hancock after years even if its just a side story Im really looking forward to that.Thou i feel sad that gotta wait two more weeks for story continuation.
Jul 21, 2019 1:08 AM

Jul 2015
Nice episode, Wano isn't as beautiful as it used to be
The circumstances of Tama are pretty sad, especially her waiting for Ace....
Must have been a bit tough for Luffy to say that Ace died, but it had to be done

Jul 21, 2019 1:33 AM

Feb 2016
Next episode will be a filler right?
Jul 21, 2019 1:55 AM

Jul 2007
Gorochu said:
The visual remain consistently great. Even the staff know this could be the potentially best arc in One Piece perhaps, that is why more effort put in compare to all other One Piece's arcs. Filler next week. I will just skip it.

That is right, although another reason is wano country is an arc that oda has been planning for a very long time and its something that he wanted to get to in the story. and so he wants the studio to deliver one of his best arcs in the absolute best possible way and what better way then to do it for the 20th anniversary of the one piece anime.

Jul 21, 2019 1:59 AM

Jul 2007
Mr360AttAck said:
Next episode will be a filler right?

I just want to get this out of the way right now. Next episodes are NOT fillers, they are a tie-in to the new One piece film Stamped.

Jul 21, 2019 2:09 AM

Oct 2015
It's a bit weird Luffy doesn't tell them he was his brother. I mean, it probably wouldn't make a difference, I'm just kind of curious about the conversation they would have after that.

From next week we are getting some episodes for the upcoming movie. It's a shame most of us will have to wait until january/february to see the movie.
Jul 21, 2019 3:07 AM

May 2017
Wow.. One Piece once again shows why it is such a giant of a show that is beloved by millions of people.

There is no anime that has better individual character story telling than one piece in my opinion, and I say that as a person who doesn't even have One Piece as a favorite anime.

The way Oda writes these characters and background stories is just beautiful.
shayed__Jul 21, 2019 3:12 AM
Jul 21, 2019 3:17 AM

Apr 2013
Hm no Zoro this episode, what a shame. His scenes were the best so far in the Wano arc. Especially since we haven't seen him at all in the Big Mom arc, it's been "Luffy Luffy Luffy Luffy Luffy" since a lot of arcs now...

Also Hancock next episode? Now that's something to look forward to.
Jul 21, 2019 4:57 AM

Nov 2012
Pakumen- said:
Huh, interesting way to pronounce Drake's name: "Diez" Drake. I always thought it was just "X" Drake.

They handled the episode really good, and the visuals really helped. I still think Ace's role was wasted on the series, but in a certain way he was the first prove to Luffy that he needed to mature, on this arc he will prove that a lot.

It seems like there will be a filler/movie promo next week. Well I don't particularly care, since Wano has been adapted very well so far, and this arc will be extremely long.

It's because X is 10 in Roman numerals, Diez is the Spanish word for the number. Oda loves language puns.

Good episode. I would have loved to have the filler pre-Wano, but this is fine too.
Jul 21, 2019 5:16 AM

Feb 2013
I loved to see Ace again.
Jul 21, 2019 6:08 AM

Oct 2009
They're really going to hype up this arc and then hit us with filler three episodes in? What a decision...
Jul 21, 2019 6:15 AM
Jul 2017
Beautiful episode..
So next episode filler?
Jul 21, 2019 6:37 AM
Jul 2018
DareEvans said:
They're really going to hype up this arc and then hit us with filler three episodes in? What a decision...
It's promotion for the newest movie coming out next week I'm pretty sure
Jul 21, 2019 7:26 AM

Nov 2016
Powerful episode in terms of feels and not just the dreary parts, especially seeing Ace with Tama was very heartwarming. And gosh, she's such an adorable girl. It didn't seem like much, but the sacrifice she made was really a big deal. It's more than safe to say that Luffy got her back now and this is one hell of an extra motivation for him. I also like how fond Tama seems of her aniki. So yeah, there was a lot for me to gush overe. I'm definitely more than pleased with how the staff nailed down the atmosphere. Noteworthy is also the pacing. Not much manga content was covered, yet it was consistently smooth. Awesome job so far.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 21, 2019 7:37 AM

Sep 2014
That's Luffy for you, no delicacy at all.
Looking forward to some Hancock goodness \o/
Jul 21, 2019 9:05 AM

Dec 2014
wow nice episode...welll like the side story.... next week...been missing boa hankook
Jul 21, 2019 10:37 AM
Sep 2012
just one or two lines from ace's voice actor was enough to bring back all the feels o_O loving this new arc ^_^ amazed after all these years one piece still manages to pull it off
Jul 21, 2019 11:01 AM

Jul 2008
Damn it the tears welled up again....freaking Ace.
Jul 21, 2019 2:15 PM

Feb 2015
Tama explained Luffy that the scouts took her after she broke the law supporting the last Shogunate, they secured the ship and went to Tama’s home. There, Tama cooked rice for Luffy, when he finished Tama went to the river to drink water (contaminated) to stop her hungry. A flying samurai arrived Tama’s home (guessed Luffy ate the whole food) and attacked Luffy, they started to talk about the few opportunities that they have to eat, Tama arrived and explained that Luffy saved her life, she felt sick because of the water, Luffy suggested them to live somewhere else, but the samurai explained that she has been waiting for a pirate named Ace, Luffy revealed that he’s dead. Luffy and the samurai left Tama resting and talked again, the samurai presented himself as Hitetsu, he explained that there used to be a villa named Amagasa, but Kaido sent an allied pirated named Drake, the villa became poor, but one day a pirate ship (Ace) arrived to the beach, they stole the ship’s food, but Ace was generous, so he helped them. A group of scouts accompanied by Hawkins are getting closer to the beach.

Discovering that Ace is dead, Tama was totally shocked. Now, there are being re-introduced Drake and Hawkins, probably we’re gonna know about Kid and Appo.
Jul 21, 2019 7:34 PM
May 2016
Otama got so attached to Ace, and it flashback to me when Dadan knows what happen to Ace, it's very sad for 8 year old child like her to have the person she got attached and not knowing what happen to him after 4 years, no words can explain of her feelings right now :(
Jul 21, 2019 7:39 PM

Jul 2013
That's so cruel. Tama and her master living in such a misery. Absolute everything got destroyed by X-Drake and only these 2 are left. Luffy must feel bad for eating all that rice even if it isn't his fault because he didn't knew Tama and her master living in such poor terms.

So Ace really was in Wano Kuni a couple years ago. That time must be like a dream for Tama. Not only because Ace made sure she had enough to eat but also because she had a friend. When I heard Aces voice I almost cried. It was such a weird mix of being happy and sad at the same time.

At the end we saw Hawkins, so that could mean he and Luffy will maybe clash in the next couple episode.

Curious to see the promotion episodes for the movie.

Jul 21, 2019 7:55 PM
Jul 2018
Even though it's partly turned into a meme among many corners of the community, Ace's death still manages to get sadder as the series goes on :(

Still can't believe how good the art is so far in this arc though. Imagine if WCI looked like this.
Jul 21, 2019 9:03 PM

May 2015
I hope they keep One Piece this good. I don't care if they take breaks or put a couple of filler arcs as long as it continues delivering this quality.
Jul 21, 2019 9:42 PM
Mar 2018
Memories of Ace really made me nostalgic. And the Wano arc is really kicking in. With improvised animations and background music. The episode was good. And expecting a lot ahead.
Jul 22, 2019 2:54 AM
Jul 2018
Always a treat to witness anything Ace-related.
Jul 22, 2019 12:10 PM
Oct 2007
I feel like I'm watching One Piece season 2 ever since this arc started. The Wano Land arc is definitely holding up to a very high standard so far, making that a well deserved wait. This episode is totally sasuga Oda sensei. I ended my day with tears in both my eyes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2019 3:45 PM

May 2014
One can not love an ep. with Ace in. Ace, noooooo!!! 😭😭😭 Sad to hear his brother announce his death, but it's weird to see him tell her he is dead just like that. I would thought he would put a bit more emotion in saying that. I mean he was his brother and they were 10 years together.

The animation is still good. The new style is still a bit mystery to me. I am still not used to it. Especially seeing both Ace and Luffy's bright smile. The lines are different which kind of makes it good. All in all, good ep., but ofc. the best part was when he said "Usopp". That joke never gets old. 😂😂😂

Next time, fillers to pronounce the new OP movie. Sad it's not getting shown in the cinemas in Scandinavia, or I would for surely seen it now. On the other hand, good to see Hancock again. Been really many years since we saw her.
Jul 22, 2019 5:36 PM

Aug 2009
This episode had perfect art and directing, wow just wow i can't believe I'm enjoy One Piece anime again.
Jul 27, 2019 9:49 AM
Apr 2017
Really liked the episode. Finally we got to see more of Ace, after all! I wish he continues to be remembered troughout the entire arc because I feel he deserves it. Also, the new style is fucking awesome <3
Jul 28, 2019 8:21 PM
Mar 2019
Wano arc is being insane, also I am loving that the legend of Ace isn't death, and also I expect that it will more plots that link each other
Aug 1, 2019 3:53 AM

Dec 2013
Otama is such a nice kid!

Luffy's timing definitely could've been better.

Nice to see Ace again. He was a top tier bro!
Aug 5, 2019 3:40 AM

Jul 2013
Some people from the worst generation really is working for Kaido, fucking losers. Man Luffy needs to save Tama :(
Aug 22, 2019 9:53 AM
Jun 2015
Can't imagine how Luffy must have felt when he found out that Tama hadn't eaten in a long while and that the rice was for her eight birthday.
Sep 24, 2019 4:03 AM

May 2014
Poor Tama but, it's better to hear about Ace death from Luffy than someone else
Jan 26, 2020 5:38 PM
Jul 2018
Tama is such an adorable girl. Despite her extreme hunger state, something that no child should go through, she was still able to toughen it out and cook for Luffy the last remeaning rice. What a sweet girl. My heart is filled with joy whenever I see her smile.

I didn't expect the series to reveal a connection between Ace and a small residence of Wano. The part where Ace is learning how to weave hats suddenly ties up to Oars. Jr back in Marinford. Oda is at it again with his ability to tie up every single little detail.

All this will be a drive for Luffy. All Luffy needs a reason and he will be in this bitch. Just give him a reason and an outlet to channel his desire at. Once Luffy has something insight, he won't stop until he makes sure he gets it.
removed-userJan 26, 2020 5:44 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1105 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 18

44 by ComputerkidAnime »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 246 Discussion

Kaito__Kid - Dec 3, 2009

32 by montwt »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1079 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Oct 14, 2023

79 by Sealjani »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 880 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Apr 13, 2019

55 by FedeMetal »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 417 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

TrowaBarton141 - Sep 12, 2009

116 by bakakisima »»
Yesterday, 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.