Forum Settings
Forums

What anime has the absolute worst animation?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 14, 2019 9:41 AM

Oct 2017
prophet_dan said:
Hikki_a1 said:
Berserk no question about it. Eventhough I haven't seen Berserk, there are clips that I have seen and it looks so rubbish lol.

make sure you specify original or 2016/17

It's the 2016/17 anime.

(30 characters)
Jun 14, 2019 9:57 AM

Mar 2012
In actual animation and not art style, Togainu no Chi. I have yet to see worse animation (flash animation and shorts excluded). At first it's not obvious, but it's such a cheat I couldn't bare to see the supposedly fluttering in the wind hair and clothes.
Simple animation never bothered me before, I always admire it if soemthing looks good with fewer frames than they could've done, but this one was just ridiculous.
Jun 14, 2019 12:53 PM

Jan 2016
Birth has some of the worst animation I’ve ever seen; it was barely animated, in fact.
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Jun 14, 2019 12:58 PM

Aug 2015
Food Wars after season 2.
I hope they fix that shit on Blu-Ray
Gundam Seed Destiny
Stock Footage Simulator

Virus Buster Serge
Easily the worst TV series animation wise

Garzey Wing
Do I need to say no more

Kare Kano Second Half.
I love the series but my god the animation was garbage especially episodes 19 and 26. I understand the show had a tight budget but watching some of theses episodes was pure misery especially with the random live action stuff.
TakaCodeJun 14, 2019 1:02 PM
Jun 14, 2019 1:48 PM

Jan 2019
No one has mentioned it, but ihmo the animation of xxxHOLiC is terrible. Maybe not the worst I've ever seen but still just awful.
Jun 14, 2019 1:55 PM

Dec 2012
Inferno Cop, but I'm pretty sure it's intentional because it adds to the humor.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 14, 2019 1:58 PM
Apr 2017
Of those I've watched most definitely kemurikusa. It's just absolutely horrid.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jun 14, 2019 2:21 PM

Aug 2013
If 3DCG doesn't count, Aku no Hana and Ping Pong I would say. I couldn't finish even 1 episode.

moeopossum said:
Retro-alwayswins said:
What anime has the absolute worst animation?
CGI does not count

Hand Shakers, of course. Absolutely horrendous.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 14, 2019 3:44 PM

Oct 2008
1.Panty and Stoking with Garterbelt
2.Piano no Mori
3.One Punch man
4.Boku no hero Academia
5.Itou Junji
6.Tsuki ga Kirei
7.One Piece
8.Jojo

If we are talking ugly, the worst ever is "1.Panty and Stoking with Garterbelt" it's basically a cartoon. The others are not as much of a mockery, but still belong in this scale.
Jun 14, 2019 3:44 PM

Aug 2018
rsc-pl said:
If 3DCG doesn't count, Aku no Hana and Ping Pong I would say. I couldn't finish even 1 episode.

You've gotta be fucking kidding me.
Ping Pong had some of the best sequences of that year, I remember one shot when the ball hits the racket and you can see each individual "bristle" move around independently and alter the trajectory of the ball, realistically.

It has freaking outstanding animation. So does Aku no Hana, to be perfectly honest.
How the hell did you get to that conclusion?
Jun 14, 2019 4:45 PM

Sep 2017
Lol, what do you even mean by saying Shoujo Tsubaki has bad animation?
Seriously, learn the different between a style you don't like vs. bad animation due to lack of skill/time.
Jun 14, 2019 4:49 PM
Feb 2018
CHC said:
Seriously, learn the different between a style you don't like vs. bad animation due to lack of skill/time.

u r right thanks for correcting bro
Jun 14, 2019 4:59 PM

Sep 2017
Gen_Lightsbane said:
rsc-pl said:

Ping Pong had some of the best sequences of that year, I remember one shot when the ball hits the racket and you can see each individual "bristle" move around independently and alter the trajectory of the ball, realistically.

It has freaking outstanding animation. So does Aku no Hana, to be perfectly honest.

Just people who have a narrow taste in art styles confusing "bad animation" with "I can't jerk to this character style", "I'm not used to this".
It's pretty frustrating when the vast majority of otaku has a very conservative taste. They stick to whatever style introduced them to anime for the rest of their life. Because of that every show look like the same in order not to alienate the audience, when the strength of animation is supposed to be the complete freedom of style unconstrained by reality.
Jun 14, 2019 5:36 PM

Apr 2015
Probably that Polyphonica anime, "the worst car chase in anime" video proves it.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jun 14, 2019 6:12 PM

Nov 2018
zieek said:
1.Panty and Stoking with Garterbelt
2.Piano no Mori
3.One Punch man
4.Boku no hero Academia
5.Itou Junji
6.Tsuki ga Kirei
7.One Piece
8.Jojo

If we are talking ugly, the worst ever is "1.Panty and Stoking with Garterbelt" it's basically a cartoon. The others are not as much of a mockery, but still belong in this scale.

did u just say One Punch Man has bad animation?

for anyone who hasnt seen OPM this is an actual spoiler as it is the last fight, but that is very well done animation
Jun 14, 2019 6:19 PM
Jul 2018
Shimai Maou no Titsment is just horrible. And HandShakers based on the videos I saw.
Jun 14, 2019 7:17 PM

Jan 2011
Cabron said:
This is when you know who knows the differences between animation and art style.
It's honestly embarrassing how many people are willing to show off their complete ignorance.
Jun 14, 2019 7:47 PM

Jan 2013
LunaPrecure said:
Birth has some of the worst animation I’ve ever seen; it was barely animated, in fact.
>it was barely animated

You sure about that? It's quite the opposite.

TakamakiJoker said:
Food Wars after season 2.
I hope they fix that shit on Blu-Ray
Gundam Seed Destiny
Stock Footage Simulator

Virus Buster Serge
Easily the worst TV series animation wise

Garzey Wing
Do I need to say no more

Kare Kano Second Half.
I love the series but my god the animation was garbage especially episodes 19 and 26. I understand the show had a tight budget but watching some of theses episodes was pure misery especially with the random live action stuff.
It just shows your ignorance, especially the last three.

ReaperCreeper said:
Cabron said:
This is when you know who knows the differences between animation and art style.
It's honestly embarrassing how many people are willing to show off their complete ignorance.
Not only embarrassing but annoying and frustrating.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 14, 2019 8:21 PM
Nov 2017
Maybe a lot of people will say Berserk 2016-2017, and yeah, they are one of the worst.

But the worst animation in anime industry is the one that has the worst rating in MAL (I don't remember the name, I just ever watch it to see how bad it is).
Jun 14, 2019 9:29 PM

Jul 2015
Kuraya said:
Lunilah said:
I distinctly remember recent Shokugeki to have an absolute lack of any animation. Basically just static moving manga panels with lip flaps.
That's just some laziness from the animators, true horrible animation is something else

>it's barely animated
>no its not bad its lazy
crazy mental gymnastics
Jun 14, 2019 9:58 PM

Aug 2013
Gen_Lightsbane said:
rsc-pl said:

First of all, please stop using that "art has nothing to do with animation" meme. It's bullshit and cheap excuse. Art quality is a part of animation.

Okay, maybe ping pong ball is animated properly, but does it matter if everthing else is just completely out of any sane proportions and character animation is nothing but cheapest and super lazy rotoscoping?
You could say "it's artistic choice", okay. But for me it's a trash.

Same about Aku no Hana. I don't see any purpose of this anime. If they wanted to make it live action, they should do it.
I can understand rotoscoping "impossible" scenes with weird camera angles and a lot of action.
Good example of not lazy rotoscoping is famous Kaguya-sama ending. But Aku no Hana? Please.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 15, 2019 12:20 AM

Apr 2012
The episode of KareKano where they ran out of budget totally and waved paper drawings around springs to mind. Although that episode is actually a lot of fun, so 'worst' might be a deeply incorrect word for it.
Jun 15, 2019 12:42 AM

Apr 2017
Bunsuke said:
Kuraya said:
That's just some laziness from the animators, true horrible animation is something else

>it's barely animated
>no its not bad its lazy
crazy mental gymnastics
Oi oi, I was just saying it doesn't compare with animation where the faces of the character are distorted or their hands bend in unnatural ways, or they just don't move even when they talk, not even lip flaps...
Compared to that, Shokugeki is pretty tame visually...

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Jun 15, 2019 12:47 AM

Jan 2016
Cabron said:
LunaPrecure said:
>it was barely animated

You sure about that? It's quite the opposite.

I exaggerated a bitーthere are moments of decent animation, but most of the movie looks clunky & repetitive. Mouth flaps didn’t match with the Japanese dub, action animations were mostly sediment falling off of a mech or a zoomed in shot, & frames were re-used, etc. It’s not like Shoujo Tsubaki, where much of the “animation” could pass as a slideshow, but it was pretty atrocious to look at.
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Jun 15, 2019 2:39 AM

Oct 2008
ShockZz said:

for anyone who hasnt seen OPM this is an actual spoiler as it is the last fight, but that is very well done animation

The character design sucks, the animation is good, background is good and the battle sequences are good.
Jun 15, 2019 3:02 AM

Feb 2014
rsc-pl said:

First of all, please stop using that "art has nothing to do with animation" meme. It's bullshit and cheap excuse. Art quality is a part of animation.

It's not a meme. Art quality is not a part of animation.
You can have a crazy sequence full of 1s, but with inconsistant anatomy, terrible color contrast, etc. -> great animation, bad art quality
Or the opposite, you can have the best art in the world but it's a slideshow -> great art, bad/no animation

を重ねるだけだよ
if you erase sin with a sin, you just add to your sins .
Jun 15, 2019 3:04 AM
Mar 2019
Pupa! Absolutely felt me really disturbed and disgusted. I couldnt say more..
Jun 15, 2019 6:19 AM

Nov 2018
zieek said:
ShockZz said:

The character design sucks, the animation is good, background is good and the battle sequences are good.

wdym we are talking about animation and not character design, animation is the fluidity of a scene and has nothing to do with art style etc
Jun 15, 2019 6:50 AM

May 2016
Violinist of Hamelin is pretty infamous for its terrible animation quality. The artwork is...rough, but otherwise inoffensive, but as far as the animation goes, there basically is none. Oh sure, you might see some movement occasionally, but the vast majority of each episode is a slideshow.

When the best (and only) animation cut of your episode is a mediocre-at-best cut of an old guy sitting down on a bench, that's a pretty sad indicator.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 15, 2019 8:03 AM

Apr 2015
Quite many Yu-Gi-Oh! episodes in every season, but that is one of it's charm. Yes! Precure 5 I remember had some wonky moments, more so than other seasons. Ginga densetsu weed is also just bad.

Still I haven't seen anything coming close to Toei's Transformers G1 animation
Jun 15, 2019 1:07 PM

Oct 2008
ShockZz said:

wdym we are talking about animation and not character design, animation is the fluidity of a scene and has nothing to do with art style etc

I do not separate animation (fluidity of a scene) and art style, I judge them as one.
To me all the visuals in a series, animation and character design (together) is part of the art of the anime. Anything in the anime that is not audio, story, backstory, characters development. Their movement, battles, how the background appears, the expressions of characters, all of that together to me is one criteria (basically the visuals of the anime).
Jun 15, 2019 1:14 PM

Nov 2018
zieek said:
ShockZz said:

I do not separate animation (fluidity of a scene) and art style, I judge them as one.
To me all the visuals in a series, animation and character design (together) is part of the art of the anime. Anything in the anime that is not audio, story, backstory, characters development. Their movement, battles, how the background appears, the expressions of characters, all of that together to me is one criteria (basically the visuals of the anime).

Then you dont rate the animation though, but instead the overall appearance of the anime or as you said the visuals. Dont just say the animation is bad because you rate the overall appearance, thats not how it works.
Thats as if Id go get myself a burger thats perfectly made, but I dont like that one pickle on it so the entire burger sucks. Its just a small part of the entire burger just like animation is a part of the visual presentation.
Jun 15, 2019 1:21 PM

Feb 2015
You guys are all amateurs.

I've yet to see a legitimate anime with worse animation than Gundou Musashi. Even the 'highlight' of the show, their opening, is animated worse than a Naruto filler episode.
Jun 16, 2019 9:04 AM

Jan 2017
Retro-alwayswins said:
What anime has the absolute worst animation? from what you ve seen
CGI does not count
the worst I've seen was from an old anime film called Shoujo Tsubaki

The "most" correct answer:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34771/Dynamic_Chord

This is a pretty funny article that points out some of the shortcomings:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-11-22/viewers-think-dynamic-chord-animation-is-less-than-dynamic/.124326

Jun 16, 2019 9:24 AM
Sep 2013
Worst animation? I don't give a chance to remember what anime that have bad and creepiest animation. It's bad for my brain and heart.
Jun 16, 2019 9:48 AM

Aug 2017
No one said One punch man season 2 after all the sh*t was thrown at it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 16, 2019 10:00 AM
Dec 2015
Not sure if this is the worst but devilman crybaby had terrible animation. the recent berserk also didn't have great animation either.
Jun 16, 2019 11:42 AM

Jun 2019
Ashita no Joe animation is pretty bad that is the main reason I dropped it
Jun 16, 2019 3:33 PM

Jul 2015
Lots of people mentionning Ping Pong and Aku no Hana, as usual. Lots of people who don't know what animation is. Sad for a community revolving around cartoons, but okay.

Also...

rsc-pl said:
Okay, maybe ping pong ball is animated properly, but does it matter if everthing else is just completely out of any sane proportions and character animation is nothing but cheapest and super lazy rotoscoping?

Hmmmmxcuse me? You have CLANNAD at the top of your favs. CLANNAD.

You're talking about elasticity, a very important animation concept wich allows to convey weight and movement through deformations, wich can go as far as "out of proportions". This is a concept lots of animated shows barely use because of how difficult it is to use properly, so I can't really blame you for not being used to it, and you're even allowed to say that you don't like it. But calling it "bad animation" because it goes out of proportion on purpose when your fav show portays humans as god damn abominations for no reason, that does not work. If you wanna call it "bad" you'll have to find another argument.

Jun 16, 2019 4:05 PM

Aug 2018
punchherghost said:
Not sure if this is the worst but devilman crybaby had terrible animation. the recent berserk also didn't have great animation either.

Wrong. Again.
Devilman Crybaby had outstanding animation, you simply didn't like the unconventional art style and character designs.
Jun 16, 2019 5:34 PM

Jun 2016
I never watched Aku no Hana even thought people say the manga's good simply because the animation is just........ well, i don't like it one bit.
Jun 16, 2019 7:48 PM
Dec 2017
The worst one I've seen is Togainu no Chi and/or King's Game. I can't stand how weird the faces look from a distance. Also, there were some scenes with bad or awkward looking animations.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 1 hour ago

12 by APolygons2 »»
9 seconds ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 24 minutes ago

3 by ShatteredSans »»
1 minute ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

28 by KittenCuddler »»
5 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

59 by APolygons2 »»
9 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

54 by IKKIsama »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.