Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 12, 2019 7:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I still got some mixed feelings about Oliver. Seems he does have a very important person in his life though. Based on some of the storytelling, he doesn't actually seem like an evil character in the beginning. Then, some events impacted his life.

I find this episode to have the least amount of humor or goofy moments compared to the others.

Jun 12, 2019 9:01 AM

Aug 2013
That some tragic backstory. He was a nice guy to begin with.

Jun 12, 2019 9:13 AM
Apr 2019
Ah, the episode we have been waiting for Schtrom's backstory I think they did a good job on it. What a good episode, the good happy fun times are done for now until they take care of this threat.
Jun 12, 2019 9:18 AM

Nov 2017
Schtrom's tragic past reminded me of Baran's tragic past too from the manga Dai no Daibouken.

Yes, those 2 have a woman that they loved very much killed by humans, but is that a good reason to want to wipe out an entire country or species just because of the wrongdoings of a few people that did something evil against those 2 ? This is what we call "Tragic past turns good guy into a nihilistic genocidal antagonist".

But at least he had a somewhat logical reason to turn bad, unlike Anakin Skywalker from Star Wars, since Anakin caused his beloved woman to die due to his own greed for power and having his mind influenced by Palpatine. So, Anakin doesn't love his woman as much as Schtrom or Baran, since the latter 2's motivation for their genodical plans were for revenge.
EhurvaksJun 12, 2019 9:30 AM
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
Jun 12, 2019 9:31 AM
Apr 2019
I am mad though, the dub is supposed to come out same time as the sub and it is still not out.
Jun 12, 2019 9:54 AM
Apr 2019
I'm glad we finally got to see Schtrom backstory, feel bad for the guy and he doesn't seem like such a bad guy after all.

If anything, Zest seems more like the villain now since he still wants to go ahead... Quite liked this episode
Jun 12, 2019 10:08 AM
Apr 2019
Schtrom is a much better villain than Muzan
Jun 12, 2019 10:13 AM
Jan 2018
Ehurvaks said:
Schtrom's tragic past reminded me of Baran's tragic past too from the manga Dai no Daibouken.

Yes, those 2 have a woman that they loved very much killed by humans, but is that a good reason to want to wipe out an entire country or species just because of the wrongdoings of a few people that did something evil against those 2 ? This is what we call "Tragic past turns good guy into a nihilistic genocidal antagonist".

But at least he had a somewhat logical reason to turn bad, unlike Anakin Skywalker from Star Wars, since Anakin caused his beloved woman to die due to his own greed for power and having his mind influenced by Palpatine. So, Anakin doesn't love his woman as much as Schtrom or Baran, since the latter 2's motivation for their genodical plan
s were for revenge.

>but is that a good reason to want to wipe out an entire country or species just because of the wrongdoings of a few people that did something evil against those 2 ?

try telling that to Dracula from castlevaina
Jun 12, 2019 10:18 AM

Apr 2013
Is it just me or the world top view at the end looks really similar to Konosuba, I mean it reminds me of the first opening of Konosuba
Jun 12, 2019 10:23 AM

Nov 2017
This for sure will need a second season. I don't think with the last two episodes remaining, things will wrap up. Meh, nothing new beneath the sun, i guess.
Jun 12, 2019 10:23 AM

Jul 2015
ninosanjaya said:
Is it just me or the world top view at the end looks really similar to Konosuba, I mean it reminds me of the first opening of Konosuba

Not only you. The effort tho.

Jun 12, 2019 10:27 AM
Aug 2018
Piromysl said:
ninosanjaya said:

Takes copy/paste to a whole new level lol!
Jun 12, 2019 10:38 AM
Apr 2019
DjangoUnchained2 said:
Piromysl said:

Takes copy/paste to a whole new level lol!

Looks a lot better in kenja no mago. Same art director, so I guess he has improved
Jun 12, 2019 10:39 AM

Sep 2015
It took 5 minutes to make a villain more sympathetic than the hero.
Jun 12, 2019 10:40 AM
Apr 2019
iliyanski89 said:
This for sure will need a second season. I don't think with the last two episodes remaining, things will wrap up. Meh, nothing new beneath the sun, i guess.

That’s a good thing, I don’t want them to make up some ending just so they can finish this without any chance for a sequel
Jun 12, 2019 10:43 AM
Apr 2019
TigersAndDragons said:

I feel more for shin. Getting hit by a truck that had no patience to wait their turn, also being overworked with no real friends. He deserved everything he’s gotten in this new world
Jun 12, 2019 10:55 AM

Sep 2015
elementex said:
TigersAndDragons said:

I feel more for shin. Getting hit by a truck that had no patience to wait their turn, also being overworked with no real friends. He deserved everything he’s gotten in this new world

Having a basic chemistry education doesn't qualify you to defeat a literal Demon Man.
Jun 12, 2019 11:02 AM
Apr 2019
TigersAndDragons said:
elementex said:

Having a basic chemistry education doesn't qualify you to defeat a literal Demon Man.

I’d say above basic, he edits science textbooks. Even still when he’s placed in this world even basic knowledge is way above what this medieval society knows.
Jun 12, 2019 11:50 AM

Sep 2018
Wow they did a really good job with adapting Schtrom's backstory,he was too good for the empire.......
Shin named the team Ultimate Magicians,even thou he hate's cringy things like chanting while using magic, that's the best thing he could come up with.........
well that's just my opinion.....
Jun 12, 2019 11:57 AM

Feb 2016
This episode was utterly boring, the "villain" got forgotten for about 6 episodes with little to no screentime, and then he receives almost a full episode trying to make him interesting but it backfired so hard, his backstory was shown way too late.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jun 12, 2019 12:03 PM
Apr 2019
HereticHunter said:
This episode was utterly boring, the "villain" got forgotten for about 6 episodes with little to no screentime, and then he receives almost a full episode trying to make him interesting but it backfired so hard, his backstory was shown way too late.

disagree, how is this late? It makes perfect sense within the story to show this now.
Jun 12, 2019 12:38 PM
Jan 2015
ninosanjaya said:

It is literally the same image with a new waterway. Look at the streets on the left side.
Jun 12, 2019 1:16 PM
Overthinker

Jun 2017
This backstory was a lot better than I expected. I like how the villain actually succeeds in his goal. The rest from here is just dessert. Even if Shin wins he's too late technically. Hope we see more of that if the series continues. The Ultimate Magicians (just their name in English?) are kinda overpowered so if their victory comes with an ash coated trophy it would make this a pretty interesting story. At least less generic than I was expecting.
Jun 12, 2019 1:38 PM

May 2018
So, this Schtrom guy used to be an idealist good guy before until a group of jealous nobles decided to give him hell by means of fake news telling the towns folks that he is in the business of kidnapping people and turning them to slaves , thus becoming a bad guy.
Jun 12, 2019 1:57 PM

Feb 2016
elementex said:
HereticHunter said:

disagree, how is this late? It makes perfect sense within the story to show this now.

Did this anime ever had a story? lmao.

It is pretty late, for someone who represented a "Threat" to this world, he fells flat and uninteresting. Its like having a Villain on an 100+ episodes anime that looked really threatening, but then it disappears with no trail whatsoever, barely having any screentime while the heroes train and goofs around. Then it reappears with some random backstory which fells flat. Yet, these kind of anime always gets their "lit" moment at the very end anyway.

I'm not really sure I should be arguing with someone who rates popular anime with 1/10 lmao

~Blackwall
Jun 12, 2019 2:25 PM
Apr 2019
HereticHunter said:
elementex said:

It is pretty late, for someone who represented a "Threat" to this world, he fells flat and uninteresting. Its like having a Villain on an 100+ episodes anime that looked really threatening, but then it disappears with no trail whatsoever, barely having any screentime while the heroes train and goofs around. Then it reappears with some random backstory which fells flat. Yet, these kind of anime always gets their "lit" moment at the very end anyway.

I'm not really sure I should be arguing with someone who rates popular anime with 1/10 lmao

Yet you have re:zero which is fitting cause there’s literally zero story. And then they make up some bad guy late in the series.
Jun 12, 2019 2:37 PM
Jun 2019
This show is unbelievably bad. Sheild hero is 10× better than this shit, i think shield hero is awful. Who tf cares about the villian, they literally just shoved him in the last 3 eps, almost no build up. The show shouldve either stayed a shitty school show slice of life, or focused on the story. Not both-completely ruined beyond compare. Im disappoint is immeasurable, from ep 1-4 i fucking loved this show, it balanced the story arc with the slice of life and had good fighting. Its gone down hill fast from there, each ep worst than the last.
Changing my 7 to a 3
Jun 12, 2019 2:41 PM
Jun 2019
HereticHunter said:
elementex said:

i agree the villain was a second thought, i wouldve given it a 6/10 if it stayed slice of life, but now the way its progressed maybe a 2 or 3
Jun 12, 2019 3:13 PM

Oct 2011
So the "main villain" has not intention of fighting or being a villain but his lackeys are trying to set him on the "right" path :D Based on the backstory Oliver can even be considered a hero (cliche premise of "they killed my family, then I got super powers, then I beat them up"). The Ultimate Magicians thing was cringy. The show itsself lacks impact. It basically skips all possible conflict and just focuses on the pauses between conflicts. The episode with the battle against Oliver was the only one in which the creators allowed a proper fight to happen but even then it proceeded quite one-sidedly. In One-punch man fights at least do proper buildup before the one-hit KO. Here there's just the KO and then a few episodes focus on the characters resting/training and then the next match which also ends in a one-hit KO. Idk, I was expecting more from this series

Jun 12, 2019 3:27 PM
May 2019
Farmaceut said:
Wow they did a really good job with adapting Schtrom's backstory,he was too good for the empire.......
Shin named the team Ultimate Magicians,even thou he hate's cringy things like chanting while using magic, that's the best thing he could come up with.........

I'm pretty sure it was Alice who stated that the club Ultimate Magicians, not Shin.
Jun 12, 2019 3:29 PM

Feb 2016
elementex said:
HereticHunter said:

Yet you have re:zero which is fitting cause there’s literally zero story. And then they make up some bad guy late in the series.

I gave Re:Zero a 5 for a reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
~Blackwall
Jun 12, 2019 3:30 PM
Aug 2018
If only I didn’t read the manga I could had liked this show slightly more but everything in comparison felt flat and even the manga wasn’t even what you would consider an amazing piece of work. How did this show not have the budget to make it I don’t know better? Sadly like many isekai it falls flat after a decent premise smh....
Jun 12, 2019 3:31 PM
Aug 2018
HereticHunter said:
elementex said:

I would avoid tryna reasonably debate with a guy who acts like he could be an agent of the production company or maybe related to the author.
Jun 12, 2019 3:35 PM
Jul 2016
When they were about to show villains backstory, i guessed everything they were going to show to a T. 'I wasn't always this bad' trope of a villain.

Only piece left is for him to get defeated screaming about how protagonist doesn't understand, eventually realising the error of his ways. This show is literally grade school level writing.
ItsBritneyBitchJun 12, 2019 3:39 PM
Jun 12, 2019 3:35 PM

Feb 2016
DjangoUnchained2 said:
HereticHunter said:

I would avoid tryna reasonably debate with a guy who acts like he could be an agent of the production company or maybe related to the author.

Sadly this is a reality not only on Mal Threads, but almost everywhere in the network.
~Blackwall
Jun 12, 2019 4:14 PM

Nov 2016
Finally an interesting episode again.

Schtrom did nothing wrong.

P.S. Don't take it too seriously, it's just a meme.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 12, 2019 4:56 PM
Apr 2019
uzee said:
So the "main villain" has not intention of fighting or being a villain but his lackeys are trying to set him on the "right" path :D Based on the backstory Oliver can even be considered a hero (cliche premise of "they killed my family, then I got super powers, then I beat them up"). The Ultimate Magicians thing was cringy. The show itsself lacks impact. It basically skips all possible conflict and just focuses on the pauses between conflicts. The episode with the battle against Oliver was the only one in which the creators allowed a proper fight to happen but even then it proceeded quite one-sidedly. In One-punch man fights at least do proper buildup before the one-hit KO. Here there's just the KO and then a few episodes focus on the characters resting/training and then the next match which also ends in a one-hit KO. Idk, I was expecting more from this series

This is much better than the monster of the week progression of opm
Jun 12, 2019 5:17 PM

Oct 2015
Oliver is a boring typical baddie who just wants revenge for something he lost, Laaaame!

I don't understand how he became a demonoid, it doesn't make sense. They can't just say he got enraged and bam he's a demonoid all of a sudden, then what about his ability to make other demonoids, where does it come from? Plain backstory that even a 5 year old anime watcher could come up with, tragic bad guy my asss!

As for Shin's party, "ULTIMATE MAGICIANS", a fitting name for a lame party on a lame series!
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jun 12, 2019 5:39 PM

Aug 2018
Probably the most serious episode out of the 10 that already aired. A bit of a classic villain : lost everything including his lovely wife, his reputation and now seeks for revenge. Well at least we learnt more about him, so that's still a advancement... except the most important point : how come do you turn yourself from a regular magician to a demonoid ? Usually this comes after a ritual or something like that. My thoughts : he was originally a demon who decided to live as a human, in a peaceful way so he just came back to his original form.

The Earlsheid Kingdom basically entered the conflict directly, so the next 2 episodes will be a bit more serious I think.
Jun 12, 2019 5:47 PM
Apr 2019
lihle808 said:
Oliver is a boring typical baddie who just wants revenge for something he lost, Laaaame!

I don't understand how he became a demonoid, it doesn't make sense. They can't just say he got enraged and bam he's a demonoid all of a sudden, then what about his ability to make other demonoids, where does it come from? Plain backstory that even a 5 year old anime watcher could come up with, tragic bad guy my asss!

As for Shin's party, "ULTIMATE MAGICIANS", a fitting name for a lame party on a lame series!

His research, you know he’s a scientist he did expiremnts unlike Muzan who just does it cause he can
Jun 12, 2019 6:30 PM

Dec 2015
Piromysl said:
ninosanjaya said:

I will not surprised if we will have crossover between Konosuba and Kenja no Mago. This crossover will be very interesting :D
Jun 12, 2019 6:34 PM
Jul 2017
The villain got more character development in one episode than Shin has in ten.
Jun 12, 2019 6:40 PM

Mar 2019
you know... This anime is not bad but at the same time it's not good. The "villain" have such a generic backstory that doesn't even make sense now. If they had exposed his story early, before he destroyed the entire place, i could feel some "simpathy" for him but now, almost in the end of season it just felt like unecessary exposition. Again i didn't read the LN, it's probably better there but here, it's looks like a rushed mess.
Jun 12, 2019 7:15 PM

Apr 2018
Schtrom could just demand the empire instead of taking revenge and kill them all though. Well, there wouldn't be an antagonist if that happened
Jun 12, 2019 7:15 PM
Aug 2018
papsoshea said:
Still ten times better than Shieldpedo. Cliche villain backstory and Ultimate Magicians assemble. Time to fight some demonoids. The charm to this generic isekai was the fact that it was very light-hearted and didn't take itself seriously, pretty much just dumb fun. A good portion of this episode dampened that charm with a more serious tone.

Shield hero looks like it was written by a 13 year old but Kenja no Mago seems like it was written, published, and edited by 5 year olds. Thats the extent of their differences.
Jun 12, 2019 7:19 PM
Apr 2019
papsoshea said:
Still ten times better than Shieldpedo. Cliche villain backstory and Ultimate Magicians assemble. Time to fight some demonoids. The charm to this generic isekai was the fact that it was very light-hearted and didn't take itself seriously, pretty much just dumb fun. A good portion of this episode dampened that charm with a more serious tone.

A good mix of light and dark. Perfectly balanced as all things should be.
Jun 12, 2019 7:39 PM
Feb 2009
wow after that back story Strom seems like the better character than Shin and what kind of name is "ultimate magicians" lol
Jun 12, 2019 7:40 PM

Nov 2017
Malufeenho said:
you know... This anime is not bad but at the same time it's not good. The "villain" have such a generic backstory that doesn't even make sense now. If they had exposed his story early, before he destroyed the entire place, i could feel some "simpathy" for him but now, almost in the end of season it just felt like unecessary exposition. Again i didn't read the LN, it's probably better there but here, it's looks like a rushed mess.
This anime is still much better than something like World Break or Kuusen Madoushi, which feels even more boring and uninspired.
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
Jun 12, 2019 9:03 PM

Oct 2017
Well the flashback was sad and I guess his works r justified. The nobles and emperor should have died.
Jun 12, 2019 9:04 PM

Oct 2012
Himeee03 said:
HereticHunter said:

i agree the villain was a second thought, i wouldve given it a 6/10 if it stayed slice of life, but now the way its progressed maybe a 2 or 3

I'm glad they fleshed out the villain. Now we know a bit more what they're up against and the slice of life stuff makes us more invested in the characters. They've been training like crazy it would be silly if they didn't actually use that against a real threat. IMO this show is just cheap escapism (i.e. isekai). I'm just going along for the ride.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

279 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 22, 8:56 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2019

96 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 18, 8:19 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2019

107 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 17, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 15, 2019

129 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 17, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2019

77 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 14, 7:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.