Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 11, 2019 12:06 PM
Apr 2016
Thanjh said:

As far as being generic, this show has a plot that I've already seen before part from the demon sister twist. Something bad happens (family death) that makes him want to fights the monsters, he finds a rival, he meets an old wise master, he has some training to make him one of if not the strongest newbies, we meet another newbie who's mr. angry for the sake of being angry.

What you just described is the archetypal hero journey. Of course you have seen it before; this kind of story has been told in cultures around the world for millennia. It's not even a battle shounen exclusive thing. Besides, you also made some assumptions about the story. How do you know the MC will find a rival, or the mohawk guy is angry for the sake of angry?

The difference is in the way a work of fiction use this common story pattern to its advantage. As a manga reader, I think that Kimetsu no Yaiba executes shounen tropes really well and creates a compelling story out of a straightforward premise. The problem is that the early manga forgoes characterization and world building in favor of setting up the MC's hero journey and quickly pushing him across the threshold into the unknown world, probably due to the threat of cancellation. At this point we still haven't established the main cast yet. In fact, there are so many characters from the OP who haven't showed up or been introduced properly. Majority of people agree that the story quickly pick up and become much more enjoyable once more recurring characters appear. Give it time.

May 11, 2019 12:10 PM
Mar 2019
Thanjh said:
DrakenKnight said:

And in what Anime also the MC manages to describe things? Aah! In MHA is something normal
Well I actually think MHA is also overrated, deku is a bad mc and bakugo is also an angry character for the sake of being angry that I don't like. So I don't think you can use that against me.

Sorry that everyones ripping into you! Its your opinion and you're allowed to have it, but you know, MAL and all that. I personally found the episode enjoyable, some parts were drawn out on purpose to make the demon seem more intimidating, thats how I see it. Although, I'm not really sure why you stick around for 6 episodes if something isn't tickling your fancy, I tend to give things a 3 episode rule, 4 at best, and if I don't like it I tend to drop it. Its kinda hard for me to take someone serious here when people on this site claim everything as generic, so I can get why they got onto you, but they really should of handled it better rather than calling your attitude towards the anime "childish".
May 11, 2019 12:14 PM
Mar 2019
Thanjh said:
DrakenKnight said:

And in what Anime also the MC manages to describe things? Aah! In MHA is something normal
Well I actually think MHA is also overrated, deku is a bad mc and bakugo is also an angry character for the sake of being angry that I don't like. So I don't think you can use that against me.

??? Against you? Are you looking for a fight? Lol, I try to tell you is that there are many animes where the MC uses many monologues and is describing the battle complain about it and the truth is absurd.
May 11, 2019 12:17 PM

Oct 2018
Kamiyan3991 said:
eso-JAR said:
this CGI parts are killing me...

Yeah, looks pretty bad.

Pretty bad episode this week as well.
It was slow paced for no reason at all.

2/5

Pretty bad?
2/5?
What anime were you watching?

This episode was easily the best so far imo
I loved everything in this episode, mainly the ost, that was just outstanding
May 11, 2019 12:18 PM
May 2019
Although in some parts the CGI looks a bit jarring, I orgasmed a lil bit in some other parts as well, not gonna lie.

In the manga I’ve always thought Tanjirou’s style is very interesting. The box reminds me of coffin and he’s piggybacking his undead imouto inside while fighting demons with his pitch black katana, what kind of badassery is that! And that Nezuko kick!!

Yeah the pacing is quite slow but the OST helps building up the eerie atmosphere in the first part so I still enjoy it nonetheless.
May 11, 2019 12:45 PM

Sep 2017
Wait did he really say there's only demon that can turn people into demons? Cause first he said one type i.e. like one subspecies of demon, but then he followed it up with a name like that's the guy. If so that's kinda dumb cause there seemingly a shitload of demons so it seems unlikely one guy coulda made all of em.
May 11, 2019 1:00 PM

May 2018
fucking cliffhanger..................................
May 11, 2019 1:17 PM
May 2019
ProofByColor said:
Wait did he really say there's only demon that can turn people into demons? Cause first he said one type i.e. like one subspecies of demon, but then he followed it up with a name like that's the guy. If so that's kinda dumb cause there seemingly a shitload of demons so it seems unlikely one guy coulda made all of em.

Well, Urokodaki did say he lived for 1000 years already, so why not?
May 11, 2019 1:18 PM

Jan 2016
this is definitely a big contender for AOTS, along with SnK. The animation and art are so great that even the CGI scenes look good. Anyways, can't believe that Nezuko fit in that box lol.
May 11, 2019 1:19 PM
Oct 2012
RobinTheKing said:
this is definitely a big contender for AOTS, along with SnK. The animation and art are so great that even the CGI scenes look good. Anyways, can't believe that Nezuko fit in that box lol.

I believe in episode 1 and 2 Nezuko showed the ability to resize herself bigger and smaller (bigger in ep 1 when attacking Tanjiro and smaller in ep 2 to fit the basket)
May 11, 2019 1:29 PM

Apr 2015
Thanjh said:
This show is the definition of mediocre and generic except for top animation. The episodes have little happening in them and then something happens at the end as a cliff hanger to be resolved in 2 minutes in the next episode. The CGI is also so unnecessary and looks ugly.

Please don't try and say this show is bad when you scored Tokyo Ghoul:Re a 7.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
May 11, 2019 1:40 PM

Dec 2013
-Aincrad- said:
This episode was easily the best so far imo
I loved everything in this episode, mainly the ost, that was just outstanding

Good for you then, I guess?
I disliked this episode cuz pacing was weak af.
And they tend to use the same flashbacks... idk what for? Kinda waste of screen time.
May 11, 2019 1:43 PM

Nov 2009
YOOOOOOOOOOO MAH BOI Tanjirou GOIN' INNNNN!!!! DAT water fountain slash doe, DAT ANIMATION. Plus the tag team with Nezuko BRUHHHHH!. Demon tried to use shadow clones but he got REKT. Can't wait to see what happens. NEXT EPISODE HYPEEEEE!!!!!! Ufotable is da goat. 5/5 10/10 Best anime of the season...no BEST ANIME OF ALL TIME!

Kamiyan3991 said:
eso-JAR said:
this CGI parts are killing me...

Yeah, looks pretty bad.

2/5

Yo why u hatin' bruh? This shit is Unlimited Budget Works and it's called world-building. How are we supposed to know more about this world if old man Urodobaki doesn't spoon-feed us every ounce of information in the laziest best way possible?
May 11, 2019 2:04 PM

Jun 2015
Nezuko can’t even speak but she’s a good contender for seasonal waifu
May 11, 2019 2:04 PM
Jan 2018
xenovibe said:
YOOOOOOOOOOO MAH BOI Tanjirou GOIN' INNNNN!!!! DAT water fountain slash doe, DAT ANIMATION. Plus the tag team with Nezuko BRUHHHHH!. Demon tried to use shadow clones but he got REKT. Can't wait to see what happens. NEXT EPISODE HYPEEEEE!!!!!! Ufotable is da goat. 5/5 10/10 Best anime of the season...no BEST ANIME OF ALL TIME!

Kamiyan3991 said:

Yeah, looks pretty bad.

2/5

Yo why u hatin' bruh? This shit is Unlimited Budget Works and it's called world-building. How are we supposed to know more about this world if old man Urodobaki doesn't spoon-feed us every ounce of information in the laziest best way possible?

The guy is hating on every single episode, I got used to it lol
May 11, 2019 2:09 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Nezuko needs some custom steel ankle picks so her kicks can have the appropiate effect on the opposition.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 11, 2019 2:15 PM

Dec 2013
FilipDespa said:
xenovibe said:

Sarcasm is too hard for you, I guess.
May 11, 2019 2:18 PM

Nov 2016
Nezuko finally going at it, cute and deadly:P

Every episode has been a blast so far.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 11, 2019 2:20 PM
Mar 2019
Thanjh said:
DrakenKnight said:

??? Against you? Are you looking for a fight? Lol, I try to tell you is that there are many animes where the MC uses many monologues and is describing the battle complain about it and the truth is absurd.
I used the phrase as a figure of speech not looking for a fight. As far as a conversation on the topic would go I thought you were using MHA as something in reply to what i said so I was just replying to that.

Well, it's okay, bro.
May 11, 2019 2:22 PM

Aug 2016
Holy shit I love this lol. Already knew this was going to be good from the first episode but it might become my season favorite. Although it might be tough going against Stray Dogs.

The art in this is freaking fantastic by the way. I didn't think of it much before this episode but really good job ufotable. The art isn't flashy but it's beautiful, just look at the flashback scene with the firepit and the pot. It's subtle but the lighting is so nice to look at. I didn't like the water effects at first thinking that the art was a little cheesy but its grown onto me.
May 11, 2019 2:24 PM
Mar 2019
nanidatosama97 said:

Sorry that everyones ripping into you! Its your opinion and you're allowed to have it, but you know, MAL and all that. I personally found the episode enjoyable, some parts were drawn out on purpose to make the demon seem more intimidating, thats how I see it. Although, I'm not really sure why you stick around for 6 episodes if something isn't tickling your fancy, I tend to give things a 3 episode rule, 4 at best, and if I don't like it I tend to drop it. Its kinda hard for me to take someone serious here when people on this site claim everything as generic, so I can get why they got onto you, but they really should of handled it better rather than calling your attitude towards the anime "childish".
It doesn't really bother me, it's to be expected from people online.
As far as why i keep watching it's because even though it's not the best right now it'll probably improve a lot in the future as most shows I would compare it to have. I can see potential in it basically.

Well, at least you have a very good opinion, better than most people complain.
May 11, 2019 2:42 PM
Jan 2018
Kamiyan3991 said:
FilipDespa said:

Sarcasm is too hard for you, I guess.

I answered sarcastically on sarcasm cuhhh
May 11, 2019 2:45 PM

May 2016
That "sleep hypnosis" was an awfully sudden and all too convenient plot device... And just how many flashbacks to the old man's teachings is this show gonna have to give us? I'm kinda wishing it would have just shown us more when we were actually back there if it's going to do it so frequently. It makes everything feel choppy and poorly paced when it's having to throw us around so much.
Way too much of this show's writing is feeling awfully contrived, I'm hoping it gets better. I mean the show hasn't done a good job of setting up Tanjirou's and that old man's relationship either - we barely got to see any actual bits of them bonding throughout those one/two years of training, or even just talking and living together, but apparently they're really close now--which is believable of course, it was over a year, but I really don't feel too much for it since the show has pretty much completing left me out of it's development. It feels like the show wanted to get through that first part of the story quickly to get to the actual action-packed meat, but it also still wanted to keep the emotional weight of the arc and it's character development, forgetting that you cannot eat your cake and have it too...

On a positive note though I'm really loving this show's soundtrack and art direction, and the animation even with it's frequent use of CGI feels very consistent. ufotable are really good at that huh. Also getting more of Nezuko is always great! Oh and those first 5 seconds took me straight back to a certain Hunter x Hunter episode lmao.
ZaugrMay 11, 2019 3:25 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2019 2:50 PM

Jun 2015
A ok episode. I hoped that after the chunin exam it would become more interesting, but this mission doesn't call me.
May 11, 2019 3:29 PM
Swallowtail

Feb 2014
I knew their enemy is going to be the worst demon out there, lol. I didn’t think it will be the Michael Jackson guy tho. x))
May 11, 2019 3:30 PM
Mar 2017
This episode was very good, Tanjirou's first mission begins, although it felt bittersweet about poor Kasumi, who lost his beloved Satoko

Tanjirou and his good sense of smell continues to surprise me, thanks to this he was able to find the demon bastard, this demon has an impressive and very convenient ability to be able to kidnap and devour humans, I felt bad thinking about the terror that the girls felt when they were kidnapped from that way, but fortunately Tanjirou managed to rescue this new victim in time.
The fight with the demon was fabulous, especially with that incredible soundtrack that accompanied the sequence, the tension of knowing where the demon would attack became more desperate to the beat of the music. the part where we see Tanjirou facing three demons was a surprise.
How cruel was the demon when he showed his collection of accessories that belonged to his preys, especially by the face of Kasumi to know that Satoko was dead and that unpleasant sound of the teeth of the demons made feel more tense and sad the situation, but this only managed to awaken the wrath of Tanjirou.
The fight takes a faster pace because of the teamwork of the demons and the same happens with the soundtrack, but the kick that Nezuko gave to one of the demons was fabulous, she coming out of the box was the best. I was moved by the part in which Nezuko makes sure that Kasumi and the girl are healthy, her face showed a very beautiful serenity, I love Nezuko's eyes in that part.

Nezuko is very good help to fight other demons thanks to Urokodaki who put under suggestion to Nezuko in her long dream, now she sees humans as her family and demons as enemies.
Nezuko is too adorable when she was watching under the futon and that part where she sees her brother in the new uniform, her eyes were beautiful.
The farewell of Tanjirou with Urokodaki was quite moving, it felt nostalgic to see the teacher say goodbye to his new apprentice.

On a separate note, Urokodaki reveals to Tanjirou information of great importance for Nezuko to be human again, the identity of the demon that murdered his family, an ancient demon called Muzan Kibutsuji.

The fight will continue in the next episode, so I can only wait to know how Tanjirou and Nezuko will defeat the demons.
May 11, 2019 4:17 PM

Jan 2011
So happy we have Go Shiina as a composer, between this and the last episode the OST has been great!
May 11, 2019 4:51 PM

May 2010
Disappointed, I'm expecting Jiraiya to teach him how to store Nezuko into a scroll....xD
May 11, 2019 5:10 PM

Oct 2015
Tanjiro is really doing well on his first mission, I'm glad Nezuko has joined the fray. I see the old man has hypnotized her to see every human as family and demons as enemies that can't be forgiven, that really got me fired up.

Too bad I'll have to wait another episode.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

May 11, 2019 5:14 PM

Dec 2012
Another great episode, slow paced yes, but thats called pacing. Not every episode can be too fast or fatigue will set in and the plot will feel too rushed, got to balance things.

The OST and Animation keep astounding me, what an incredible Anime and I personally think the CGI looks fine
May 11, 2019 5:18 PM

Aug 2018
Not a easy demon to begin with ! But I really loved when Nezuko showed up, the duo human/demon is quite unique & makes things very interesting.

And the effects on Tanjiro's sword attacks are always nice, their design is really great.
May 11, 2019 5:18 PM
Jan 2019
Good Episode, Tanjiro's first mission is just beginning. Those demons are not easy to kill.
1. How rare is the black sword? Why is it so difficult for Tanjiro to handle it? I'm curious to know what that sword is capable of.
2. Why these three demons grind their teeth, wtf? The grotesque demons have very peculiar and strange abilities. Collecting the hair pins of the girls was a brutal touch. What a pity for the boy who lost his partner.
3. Taking Nezuko with him was the best. Besides that Tanjiro can keep her out of danger, she can help him in battles against strong demons.
Urukodaki was very clever in instilling in Nezuko's head the deep mentality that he must protect humans at all costs from demons. I wonder how strong Nezuko would be if he had trained to be a demon killer.
4. "Muzan Kibutsuji", everything is reduced to that subject. I feel very excited to know the story of the first demon, and what Tanjiro will do when he has it face to face (apart from asking him how to make Nezuko human again). Will he spare his life or will we have a case of "If you beat me, I'll tell you the answer you're looking for?"
May 11, 2019 5:20 PM
Sep 2018
Damn bruh, ufotable went all out this ep for the music
May 11, 2019 5:40 PM

Feb 2015
I knew this series was a gem when I found the manga, but god fucking damn, this anime is astounding. Just like BnHA, fantastic animation, music and VAs bring an amazing manga to a whole other level.
May 11, 2019 5:42 PM
Jan 2019
Good episode. The power of this demon is so annoying. he can move around easily and there are three of them. Good luck Tanjirou and Nezuko
May 11, 2019 5:48 PM

Sep 2017
In my opinion, this has been the best episode we have gotten thus far. On every level this episode was superb. The direction was fantastic, the soundtrack was on an entirely new level, and the teeth grinding makes me want to check into a mental institution. Nezuko was just as adorable as always, and the moment where she burst out of the box and kicked the demon's face in was fucking amazing.
May 11, 2019 5:53 PM
Mar 2015
Sister getting her kicks in
May 11, 2019 5:54 PM

Dec 2010
The OST is amazing.

Honestly, this anime is just getting better and better. I usually find the MC in most anime boring or annoying, but this one is perfect so far. He's got a good head on his shoulders and is very competent without being arrogant.
May 11, 2019 5:56 PM
Jul 2018
I love this show, but this episode kind of sucked right? Art was crazy good as par of it goes, BUT not a fan of the first person perspective or the heavy heavy cg foregrounds.

That last 5 minutes though, damn it man. The pump is real. Episode six got me all worked up just to wink at me all sexy like and whisper, "I'll see you next week"
May 11, 2019 6:00 PM
Jul 2018
WolfDFireBreidi said:
Good Episode, Tanjiro's first mission is just beginning. Those demons are not easy to kill.
1. How rare is the black sword? Why is it so difficult for Tanjiro to handle it? I'm curious to know what that sword is capable of.
2. Why these three demons grind their teeth, wtf? The grotesque demons have very peculiar and strange abilities. Collecting the hair pins of the girls was a brutal touch. What a pity for the boy who lost his partner.
3. Taking Nezuko with him was the best. Besides that Tanjiro can keep her out of danger, she can help him in battles against strong demons.
Urukodaki was very clever in instilling in Nezuko's head the deep mentality that he must protect humans at all costs from demons. I wonder how strong Nezuko would be if he had trained to be a demon killer.
4. "Muzan Kibutsuji", everything is reduced to that subject. I feel very excited to know the story of the first demon, and what Tanjiro will do when he has it face to face (apart from asking him how to make Nezuko human again). Will he spare his life or will we have a case of "If you beat me, I'll tell you the answer you're looking for?"

Just based on the episodes so far ( cause I don't know how to read) I got the impression that people with black swords died fast, so no one really new much about them. Like it was unlucky or something. I also thought just the one demon did the teeth grinding. Like the one spoke all sexy like, the other was a macho dude, then the third was REEEE in the teeth. I could be wrong though.
May 11, 2019 6:24 PM

Dec 2013
Nezuko has an impressive kick!

The teeth grinding sound hurts my ears.
May 11, 2019 7:10 PM

Mar 2019
Man, people taking the time to talk shit about this show here are tiring. It's not like i am attached to this show or LOVE it. I don't. But honestly seeing people keep repeating like parrots the line "it's generic" without explaining WHY and HOW this affects the story is hilaroius and meh at the same time. "Cliche" is not a bad thing per se unless it affects the story, you should take some cinematography classes or improve your argumentative skills instead of repeating the same line without context over and over.
May 11, 2019 7:22 PM

Jun 2015
That's one hell of a Doraemon's Pocket box.

We meet the name of Muzan today, and apparently he might be the ONLY one who knows how to turn Nezuko back to human. Idk.. If this Muzan is supposed to be the Endgame, how could he reveal the way to turn demons back to human to our dear protagonist? Currently, it's still weak in story imo..
May 11, 2019 7:48 PM
Apr 2014
Hmm I don't recall Tanjirou getting that mark on his forehead this early. Maybe I didn't remember correctly, gotta reread the manga.
May 11, 2019 8:20 PM
Jan 2019
Rip my ears from the teeth grinding 😭
May 11, 2019 10:03 PM

Sep 2016
Yo that gritting teeth sound was not welcomed

Oof my ears but my eyes on the other hand, is having a party with all the eye candies.
May 11, 2019 10:05 PM

Jul 2016
Compact Oni Imouto -> Best Imouto

Another very good episode. The OST is being pure bliss to my ears.

Tanjirou is having a hard time dealing with that demon but it was to be expected since it's still his first task and said demon is quite elusive to kill as well.

Nezuko entering the fray was also quite exciting to see. Really looking forward to seeing her in action!
May 11, 2019 10:09 PM

Apr 2009
Hopefully they expand it next episode showing her kicking him into oblivion.lol. This anime makes me want a fighting game version of it by Arc System Works.
May 11, 2019 10:19 PM
Sep 2011
man nezuko is just precious as fk.
May 11, 2019 10:20 PM

Dec 2016
Giulia14 said:
Man, people taking the time to talk shit about this show here are tiring. It's not like i am attached to this show or LOVE it. I don't. But honestly seeing people keep repeating like parrots the line "it's generic" without explaining WHY and HOW this affects the story is hilaroius and meh at the same time. "Cliche" is not a bad thing per se unless it affects the story, you should take some cinematography classes or improve your argumentative skills instead of repeating the same line without context over and over.

This. Just because a story is" cliche" doesn't make it bad. All story borrowed elements form older works and refine them and create new 'cliche" from older one. Judging a story merit base on if it is " original" or not is stupid and if we do that, all stories told from the dawn of humanity are bad.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Bad animation? ( 1 2 )

Leon888 - May 11

59 by Kaitaka12 »»
11 hours ago

» Demon Slayer is the top selling manga in America in 2023

FZREMAKE - May 12

48 by filthyfrank8142 »»
Yesterday, 2:47 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2019

228 by skatensleep »»
May 12, 12:01 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RebelPanda - Jun 15, 2019

309 by skatensleep »»
May 11, 11:36 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2019

201 by skatensleep »»
May 10, 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.