Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 4, 2019 9:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, tensions is running high at the school.

However, I think it's cool to see Satowa showcasing her abilities along with the club. Satowa's talent is like a work of art when she plays. Truly mesmerizing. Also got a montage song of the club this episode.
May 4, 2019 10:08 AM

Apr 2010
Good episode from the moment they started playing Kujo's emotions where conveyed really well it showed he learned a thing or two and he was making good progress as a person.
I also liked the reactions of the other students towards the play they seemed to be impressed.

The episode ended to seen in my opinion but it makes me look forward to next week.
May 4, 2019 11:03 AM

Apr 2019
I was hoping we'd at least get a cheer or some form of audience reaction at the end of the song, but the episode ended on stunned silence. Which is okay I guess, because I sure know that's where I was at the end too. The next episode will probably begin there
May 4, 2019 11:12 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The revelation of Chika's past and hos motivation for wanting to learn how to play sure proved to be quite the revelation for Houzuki. All those moments when she was being harsh to Chika sure is coming back to her. That was some wise advice from the Koto shop owner. The club's performance along with the scenes of Chika's past that was paired with it was just beautiful. Chika's solo especially was impressive as he used it to make peace with his past regrets. An excellent ep and it was nice seeing that despite the temporary hiccups that the clubs performance was successful. Lol the shocked expression of the VP.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2019 12:21 PM

May 2018
Well then Chika's solo impresses even Satowa,
May 4, 2019 1:00 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Holy shit, i'm sweating lol

Favourite episode of the whole spring season to me.

Houzuki's reaction in the beginning was a bit heartbreaking, her realizing how much she did Kudo wrong after hearing his backstory.

She then swallowed her pride and apologized to him, amazing moment. The chemistry between them is HIGH up there.

Never heard a koto performance in my life before, got goosebumps for most of the piece. The climax had me shakin' my legs.
May 4, 2019 1:13 PM

Jun 2016
I love it when the story is connected with the music being played. From the sad lonely dragon in the beginning to the group with other dragons/friends with a much happier sound in the end.
May 4, 2019 1:16 PM
Apr 2017
Holy Crap!!! I was watching the episode and I didn’t even realize how it was pulling me in little by little and then when Chika’s solo hit, I was just like in goosebumps. So damn great episode in my opinion and very good story-telling in this episode that’s for sure. This was one of my favourite watches of the season and with this episode, it just went next level for myself personally.
May 4, 2019 1:30 PM

Jan 2014
JRyanC said:
I was hoping we'd at least get a cheer or some form of audience reaction at the end of the song, but the episode ended on stunned silence

If I was there and I heard that, I'd give them a standing ovation. It was really beautiful <3

Honestly this is the best episode of the spring anime season so far..... 5/5 EASILY
May 4, 2019 1:52 PM

Nov 2018
every episode just keeps on getting better
May 4, 2019 1:56 PM

Apr 2015
Smudy said:
Holy shit, i'm sweating lol

Favourite episode of the whole spring season to me.

Houzuki's reaction in the beginning was a bit heartbreaking, her realizing how much she did Kudo wrong after hearing his backstory.

She then swallowed her pride and apologized to him, amazing moment. The chemistry between them is HIGH up there.

Never heard a koto performance in my life before, got goosebumps for most of the piece. The climax had me shakin' my legs.

If this got you all excited and pumped I definitely recommend checking out the performance that will be towards the end of the 2nd cour, basically towards the show's finale. It's by far my favourite performance of them all and was good enough to download it.
FappaMay 4, 2019 2:12 PM
May 4, 2019 2:32 PM

Sep 2018
That was a great episode and the performance was animated well. I liked the buildup to Chika's solo where his flashbacks started out somber and tough, but gradually became more positive and cheerful.
May 4, 2019 2:37 PM
Apr 2015
VeryLTTP said:
That was a great episode and the performance was animated well. I liked the buildup to Chika's solo where his flashbacks started out somber and tough, but gradually became more positive and cheerful.

Why your score 7 ??
May 4, 2019 2:44 PM

Mar 2016
This was painful to watch. Chika really had a hard time, he suffered a lot, and for a moment it looked like he wanted to end his life, but fortunately he found a path, something to live on.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

May 4, 2019 2:54 PM

Sep 2018
This episode gave me goosebump holy shit this was intense.
May 4, 2019 3:28 PM

Nov 2018
this episode was so beautiful, their perfomance blew me away and by the time kudo's solo came around i was in tears. they did an amazing job on this one, saying that i loved it isn't enough at all
May 4, 2019 3:40 PM
Dec 2017
Holy crap, I darn near cried during Kudo's solo! I've been really liking the show so far, but my biggest nitpick (music nerd that I am) is that it doesn't really take full advantage of using its music as part of its storytelling in the same way that Nodame Cantabile or Your Lie in April did. However, I hoped that the little koto playing used thus far would build up to an amazing assembly performance in this episode and boy, did it deliver!
If I wanted to, I could probably whine about interrupting the performance too much with the original score, or how the visuals don't focus enough on the playing for the first half of the episode, but honestly, this show is genuinely really good.
May 4, 2019 4:15 PM

Sep 2010
Piano_Lady said:
Holy crap, I darn near cried during Kudo's solo! I've been really liking the show so far, but my biggest nitpick (music nerd that I am) is that it doesn't really take full advantage of using its music as part of its storytelling in the same way that Nodame Cantabile or Your Lie in April did. However, I hoped that the little koto playing used thus far would build up to an amazing assembly performance in this episode and boy, did it deliver!
If I wanted to, I could probably whine about interrupting the performance too much with the original score, or how the visuals don't focus enough on the playing for the first half of the episode, but honestly, this show is genuinely really good.

From one music nerd to another, i share you opinion, all i wanted was to listen to pure sound, and feel the pleasure and it delivered for the most part...
I don't expect justice. I expect revenge, even if it solves nothing in the end.
I don't expect redemption. I expect decadence and self destruction.
I don't expect compassion. I expect selfishness.
I don't expect people making choices. I expect a cruel fate forced upon them.
May 4, 2019 4:16 PM

May 2015
What a lovely performance! I absolutely love scenes where low expectations get proven wrong, so it was great to see everyone speechless after sneering before the performance.

Although, as much as I understood having the flashbacks during the performance to emphasise how far everyone has come, I reaaaaally want to hear the full performance from start to finish without any interruptions. Hopefully it'll be a track on the OST or something.

♡ artist
サコ
May 4, 2019 4:40 PM
Apr 2016
Haha the performance was very very beautiful! Everyone was speechless, serves them right honestly. Good episode.
May 4, 2019 4:52 PM

Jan 2015
That performance made this all worth while... So good, man. So good.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
May 4, 2019 4:54 PM

Sep 2007
i cried at the performance scene it was so touching and intense :")

May 4, 2019 5:03 PM

Sep 2018
ziad1419 said:
Why your score 7 ??

Wasn't as engaged in the first few episodes. The score will likely go higher as the anime continues.
May 4, 2019 5:45 PM

Oct 2010
This really confirms just how underrated/underlooked this anime is by most people. My eyes watered even though it was obvious how this was going to play out. Executed very well. Animation is really the only low part of this show. Top tier episode. Really glad this is getting two seasons - the character growth we've seen in just 5 episodes is astonishing, and yet also doesn't feel rushed at all.
May 4, 2019 5:46 PM

Sep 2011
What an amazing episode, I'm moved! It already starts really well with Houzuki overwhelmed by guilty and regret over having misjudged Kudou so badly. Fortunately she soon runs into him and is able to say that she is sorry. It's a pity that after it the scene went into a more comical direction, but it was still a very cute and important moment between them. Then we see them practicing again as the showtime approaches, and I just loved how the granny adviced and encouraged them at the same time by saying that they should think about who they are playing for, who they want to reach, and that their sounds are perfect to surpass the preconceptions people have of them.

Takezou was cool on the mic after he got a hold of himself, but he is still being supported by Kudou and Houzuki who are the true pillars of the team. As someone who used to be as meek as him depending on the situation I sympathize, but I'm glad he is making progress and I'm hoping to see more of him being firm, and helping them like when he decided to stand up for Kudou in the beginning again.

Then the performance starts and it was a twirl of emotions, I couldn't even blink! The music was amazing, and I loved how it was mixed with flashbacks; Tetsuki is an even greater comrade than what I thought, and I already held him in the highest regard. It was only because he was there for Kudou, just like his grandfather, that Kudou didn't give up on himself, realizing he had people who truly cared when no one else bothered to look beyond appearances. It pains me to know that his grandfather is no longer with him. He would be proud.

They slipped during it too, but Houzuki, with her experience and sheer skill, was able to put them back on track. And then Kudou's solo moved everyone just like hers did, maybe even more for being so "unexpected". He began to play for his grandfather, then his friends, and then the audience. It was great and I loved the climax too. I couldn't believe when it was over because I craved for more, and it was really weird to not hear applause and cheers. I guess they were too taken aback to react. Can't wait for the next episode.
May 4, 2019 5:55 PM
Apr 2015
Kougeru said:
This really confirms just how underrated/underlooked this anime is by most people. My eyes watered even though it was obvious how this was going to play out. Executed very well. Animation is really the only low part of this show. Top tier episode. Really glad this is getting two seasons - the character growth we've seen in just 5 episodes is astonishing, and yet also doesn't feel rushed at all.

Animation improved in this episode
Compare previous eps
May 4, 2019 5:56 PM
May 4, 2019 6:06 PM
Jul 2017

Everyone who digs this episode should check out that youtube link - it's basically Ryuuseigun (the song they were playing) with panels from the manga superimposed.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
May 4, 2019 7:38 PM
Nov 2014

Wow thanks for sharing that, this is so well made
May 4, 2019 8:43 PM
Nov 2010
That was a masterclass in how to adapt the source material. It helps that the manga is great, but the studio really did an amazing job in intertwining the music to the story. This is one of my favorite sleeper mangas so I'm glad it's getting its due.

Also, the animation director did an amazing job in using higher and lower quality animation in the right places during the performance against what is assuredly a lower budget - they don't have 'Bones' money or anything. They didn't skimp on the animation of the actual playing during important parts which would be easy for a lazy studio to do.

I hope more people will take a look at this work (and hopefully the score goes up as well).
May 4, 2019 8:57 PM

Sep 2018
Kougeru said:

Then you're going to be in for a treat when the gang eventually plays Tenkyuu. It's really beautiful.
May 4, 2019 10:59 PM
Jul 2018
Breathtaking episode! We haven't heard much Koto sound for the past episodes and now we got whole lot of it. Some of the sequences were amazing and really peaked high. So far overall the best episode from this year I've seen.
May 4, 2019 11:22 PM
Apr 2014
Not much to say, it was the best episode so far.

This and YU-NO could be the dark horse of this season.
May 4, 2019 11:24 PM

Dec 2014
ok the playing was awesome so why wasn't anyone clapping.....
May 4, 2019 11:32 PM
Jan 2018
heydaycapriccio said:
What a lovely performance! I absolutely love scenes where low expectations get proven wrong, so it was great to see everyone speechless after sneering before the performance.

Although, as much as I understood having the flashbacks during the performance to emphasise how far everyone has come, I reaaaaally want to hear the full performance from start to finish without any interruptions. Hopefully it'll be a track on the OST or something.

The official Jump Square Channel on YouTube uploaded the track when the manga Chapter released. Here's the link: https://youtu.be/Y_Db88Ef6FQ
May 4, 2019 11:37 PM
Sep 2015
I see that this anime will not yield to CG even when some scene require fluid animation.
May 5, 2019 12:23 AM

May 2017
Yay! Finally some koto and god that was just beautiful, especially the solo performed by Chika totally loved it. Respect to the guys playing the koto. Also the drama that was going on through out the episode the one with chika's grandpa almost made me cry. Brilliantly done by the studio 💯/💯.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 5, 2019 12:33 AM
Jan 2019
Chika's music and painful history make me cry there performance is wonderful, love how Satowa's reaction when she realize Chika's past but he act like it's nothing am okay with that the ending of there performance is little disappointing it just ended there no reaction at all but am okay with that
May 5, 2019 2:03 AM
Jan 2019
I LOVEEEED this episode
Now that was AWESOME
May 5, 2019 2:33 AM

Oct 2017
OMG! That was single best episode in whole spring season! I'm shocked. That was totally perfect! I think many people cried on this one. It was packed with feelings from the begining to the end. I'm so happy that I saw it, it made my day better.
The Young Noble of the Field is currently watching - Diamond no Ace: Act II
Misugi-kun is also reading - Kanojo, Okarishimasu
May 5, 2019 3:40 AM

Jan 2016
Damn near perfection! I've been hearing Ryuseigun for years know because of the manga but seeing it animated was something else.

Also, I'm so glad that they didn't yield to CGI

I always knew that this show was gonna be underwatched this season but I'm glad that the people who're watching it are loving it.

Now I really can't wait for that ONE performance that'll end of season 2.
May 5, 2019 3:43 AM

Mar 2016
I don't understand music, but this was still enjoyable.

China's hair colour makes me uncomfortable. Wish they made it some shade of brown as it's easy to look at.

The dragons at the end reminded me of 'X' and how it's hiatus still isn't over. Lol.

I like that the audience members were all actual 2d drawings, and not those weird looking 3d renders.

The op has two girls in it. Guess we will be getting a new member.

The episode just ended. It felt so short. I want more!
May 5, 2019 3:49 AM

Aug 2013
That was a great Koto performance. The best episode so far.

May 5, 2019 4:26 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
This performance was absolute beauty. Gosh, I love Chika so much!

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
May 5, 2019 4:26 AM

Mar 2017
I literally got goosebumps during this episode. That was so beautiful, the music, the art, the story... everything. I felt a lump in my throat wen Chika was thinking back over the shitty life he's had... i'm so happy that he and Hozuki have found people that love them and accept them, flaws and all!

It was also priceless to see those Light Music Club dick head's faces during the performance... suck on that, ya assholes! hehe
May 5, 2019 5:25 AM
Jul 2018

Thank you, this is exactly what I wished the anime scene would look like - no unnecessary spoken comments, just the flowing, uninterrupted music, in its entirety. I mean, the anime hadn't screwed up completely; but this video was still so much nicer to watch.^^

Fayrin said:
What an amazing episode, I'm moved! It already starts really well with Houzuki overwhelmed by guilty and regret over having misjudged Kudou so badly. Fortunately she soon runs into him and is able to say that she is sorry. It's a pity that after it the scene went into a more comical direction, but it was still a very cute and important moment between them.

I liked how they downplayed it into comedy, since otherwise it could've gotten really awkward, given neither of them is good at expressing their emotions. This way however, it felt like they've "forgiven" each other and it also emphasizes what a good person Kudou is - he instantly managed to pull Houzuki out of her embarassment, and I doubt he'll ever mention it again.
I'm not criticising your viewpoint, I just wanted to speak up for the scene, because I personally appreciate it a lot. :-) Also it was really sweet how Houzuki asked Kudou to carry her koto for her; while I usually am not a fan of these "knightly" deeds, in this particular case I couldn't help myself but go awww. The girl gets more and more awesome with every episode.
May 5, 2019 5:38 AM

Mar 2017
Wonderful!! I'm amazed how this new studio managed to give such a beautiful adaptation, I didn't expect it! I had tears on my eyes during the episode even though I already read the manga!!
Now where are those haters of Satowa? you must apologize to her the way she did to Chika.
May 5, 2019 5:42 AM

Mar 2019
Ahhh I want more! What a brilliant episode and piece played. That certainly shut everyone up haha.

SaraElric said:
Enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/Y_Db88Ef6FQ?t=100

Thanks for this! I've never heard the Koto before and as a big lover of music Im absolutely in love with the sounds these can make. Can't get enough of these Animes with good music in it as well.
SwizzeMay 5, 2019 5:50 AM
May 5, 2019 6:09 AM
Aug 2018
Best episode so far getting to hear the piece from the manga getting animated was such a blissful moment and damn i almost cried when chika's grandfather said "is that all it takes to make you smile" damn i love his grandad so much
May 5, 2019 6:19 AM

Apr 2016
OMG this episode was so amazing. I loved their performance . Can't wait for the soundtrack to come out

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2019

126 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 4:11 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2019

59 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2019

47 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2019

57 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2019

54 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 3, 2:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.