Forum Settings
Forums
New
was it a dick move?
Apr 6, 2019 9:40 AM

Sep 2018
So Borderlands 3 seems to be now exclusively on the epic store for 6 months or so before it hits other platforms. Not only this but more and more games are signing exclusive deals with epic. What do you think of epic and this decision?

Personally I don't mind, as long as it does what i need it to do, that being said I have no experience with the epic store. As a novice game developer(working on a free to play mmo that will not use either stores), a lot of indie game devs I've talked to are having it rough and I personally don't like steam taking a huge 33% cut when they have enough money to sustain themselves almost indefinitely, and that they don't seem to be spending the money on making their own games and stuff.
jesteriApr 6, 2019 9:45 AM
Apr 6, 2019 11:07 AM

Mar 2019
Seems to me like they are screwing themselves over. If it's only on the Epic Store, which none of my friends move, its going to have a limited audience.
dipperdolphinApr 14, 2019 7:47 AM

My anime review website: https://www.takanodan.net
Apr 6, 2019 12:22 PM

Sep 2012
Get big cash from Epic for exclusivity deals (a mediocre indie game got 2 millions, imagine what Borderlands got for it's 6 months exclusivity)
Sell game on Xbone, PS4 and Epic (the later having a bigger cut per sale than Steam).
Get cross-platform support as well as being able to avoid having to pay for Epic's engine (5% cut).
After exclusivity deal receive steady flow of revenue again from Steam users selling the game at the same price (or maybe 10-20 dollars lower) with all DLC and season pass (some people might even double dip because their friends are on Steam).

Preorders are already really high according to sales insiders and the 250$ collectors sold out a couple of hours after it went up. BL3 is on it's way to sell at least as much as BL2, and that one was a megahit. A couple of Steamdrones review bombing because they're butthurt isn't really gonna change things much in the long run.

GoldenSaltPillarApr 6, 2019 12:27 PM
Apr 6, 2019 12:37 PM

Feb 2015
I thought the Metro and that indie game were far worse deals, since they were promised to come on Steam before their release, whereas Borderlands 3 wasn't. Still, it'll be no Steam = no deal for me.
Apr 6, 2019 9:44 PM

Jun 2016
Epic Games have been dicks ever since they refused to release Gears of War 2 and 3 for PC because "muh piracy"
Then they unleashed Fortnite onto the world...
The company that gave us Unreal and Unreal Tournament 99 really has fallen far...
Apr 6, 2019 11:19 PM

Dec 2017
It's absolutely a dick move and if you pull a last second exclusivity a la Metro you absolutely deserve to get ripped apart by the community.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Apr 6, 2019 11:48 PM

Apr 2016
I was going to vote yes but instead no, how do i retract my vote?
Apr 7, 2019 12:17 AM

Feb 2019
1. Competition is good for the consumer. Steam might have some decent sales again if they see users jumping ship.
2. Please give dark skin muscle woman
Apr 7, 2019 6:46 AM

Nov 2011
Tbh, I would be okay with this if Epic Store's launcher didn't suck so bad. There's so many lack of features compared to Steam that it isn't even funny. Even Ubisoft and Origin has better launcher. Not to mention, Epic Store has security problems.

Reina_Orikasa said:
It's absolutely a dick move and if you pull a last second exclusivity a la Metro you absolutely deserve to get ripped apart by the community.

Definitely. Also, there's the case with Phoenix Point which is a game that got kickstarted by fans to be released on Steam/GOG.
Apr 7, 2019 7:25 AM

Mar 2018
With the spyware drama aside, I think exclusives are a dick move, but I don't blame them for doing it. Consoles have been doing it for fuckin years with PC laughing at how stupid the issue is. Now PC has the same problem but with gaming stores and that is just delightfully ironic. So exclusives are a dick move, but I am used to it and generally don't mind it.
Apr 7, 2019 8:02 AM
Jul 2018
I only buy games from GOG.com, and I don't even pay attention to what's Steam does or any other game client out there. So to me, this whole thing is irrelevant.
Apr 7, 2019 8:49 AM

Jul 2009
The reason Epic Store doesn't interest me one bit is its lack of community. No trades or workshops is one thing, but the store doesn't even have a proper forum.

I won't deny though that Epic Store's way of enticing developers is effective albeit sinister (receiving only 12% of the developer's revenue versus Steam's 30%).
Apr 7, 2019 10:17 AM

Oct 2016
I don't mind, i'm already using the Epic launcher because i sell game assets on their marketplace to use with the Unreal Engine so it doesn't matter if i have to use Steam or Epic.
Epic has a very good revenue share for both content creators ( marketplace assets ) and game developers. They take only 12 % of the gross earnings. They lowered their % the last July from 30 % to 12 %.

The ones to blame are the games developers that accept Epic moneys i think.

The only problem of the Epic launcher is the lack of features and a proper community.
AndreicusApr 8, 2019 9:33 AM

Apr 7, 2019 11:03 AM

May 2018
"What do you think of exclusive deals?"

Oh, I'll be definitely interested in this and next years numbers about piracy. Let's see if Epics scummy ways affected the year long decreasing piracy rates to rise up again.
Apr 7, 2019 5:48 PM

Apr 2015
Spyware-ass Fortnite-ass "le epic gamer"-ass software.

"Exclusivity" is the move you go for if you can't win people over with your service alone because it sucks.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 7, 2019 7:11 PM

Sep 2018
CatSoul said:
Spyware-ass Fortnite-ass "le epic gamer"-ass software.

"Exclusivity" is the move you go for if you can't win people over with your service alone because it sucks.

ooo, very good point from a business prospective. A thought experiment: if we assume that bing tops google and offers a better product, im pretty sure people would still use google.

ultimately, I think this is the most effective move they could make.

nonetheless, the epic store's 12% cut is the only thing thats driving people there
Apr 8, 2019 3:07 AM
Apr 2018
Stark700 said:
Tbh, I would be okay with this if Epic Store's launcher didn't suck so bad.

This.
We are in 2019 and you didn't even need to confirm your email when you create an account, also the client support is a joke
Apr 8, 2019 3:50 AM

Jan 2017
I only play PC for exclusives and buy triple A titles on console anyway soo....jokes on u guys for letting a platform change ruin a good game for you
Apr 8, 2019 8:11 AM
Jul 2018
Cneq said:
I only play PC for exclusives and buy triple A titles on console anyway soo....jokes on u guys for letting a platform change ruin a good game for you

Good games like "Borderlands"?!

I hope you are kidding.
Apr 8, 2019 12:14 PM

May 2018
Due to the sheer fact debating over that would result in nothingness as your opinion is as firm as a rock, I'll simply punch you with the naked numbers.

Borderlands
Metacritic score: 81
User score: 7.6
Steam: 93% positive ratings out of 15.000 total

Borderlands 2
Metacritic score: 89
User score: 8.2
Steam: 96% positive ratings out of 92.000 total

Borderlands Pre Sequel
Metacritic: 75
User score: 6.2
Steam: 81% positive ratings out of 13.000 total

----
Looks good to me overall. But hey, your opinion counts thousandfold.
Apr 8, 2019 2:57 PM

Sep 2012
ArrRti said:
Due to the sheer fact debating over that would result in nothingness as your opinion is as firm as a rock, I'll simply punch you with the naked numbers.

Borderlands
Metacritic score: 81
User score: 7.6
Steam: 93% positive ratings out of 15.000 total

Borderlands 2
Metacritic score: 89
User score: 8.2
Steam: 96% positive ratings out of 92.000 total

Borderlands Pre Sequel
Metacritic: 75
User score: 6.2
Steam: 81% positive ratings out of 13.000 total

----
Looks good to me overall. But hey, your opinion counts thousandfold.

I love Borderlands 2, but reviews stopped meaning anything a LONG time ago. "Professional" reviewers get bought up or eat the latest flavor of the month trash because they have no experience with the genre and Steam/Metacritic user reviews are full of fanboys, review bombs&platform wars. The only good metric for if a game is good or not nowadays is just watching a muted, full game walkthrough and see if the length and what you see in the first couple of hours matches your interests.

That being said, implying borderlands isn't good and then praising two mediocre indie games saying they're great doesn't help the person you're having an argument with. But then again, taste is subjective, you can ramble on and on about how the games I like are good and the games someone else likes are bad and that still wouldn't change how I feel about them, it has to "click" and being enjoyable to you, doesn't matter how much praise they get if you don't like them.
Apr 8, 2019 4:46 PM

Jan 2017
BallistikJuice said:
Cneq said:

Good games like "Borderlands"?!

I hope you are kidding.
Sounds like someone has bad taste :/
Apr 8, 2019 6:25 PM
Apr 9, 2019 12:10 AM

Aug 2018
Exclusivity on PC always sounded dumb to me.
It makes sense on consoles and handhelds because of all the different hardware limits and functions. (Ex.A DS works much differently than a PS3 and it makes sense for certain games to be on one system over the other). PCs work technically all the same.
If anything, it is more beneficial to have it on all PC stores, Steam, Epic, GoG, whatever.
Apr 9, 2019 8:40 AM
May 2009
I personally rather just get a disc with all the content on, and for publishers to put patch downloads on their websites instead of having to use steam. This way I can keep everything without having to always be online, also no need to work about digital content and library disappearing if they decide to go bankrupt.

When total war shogun 2 came out I was disappointed to find I need to install steam even after I got the disc version. The damn launcher is like a parasite that prevents you from playing.

Epic is starting up so getting exclusives is a way to grow the platform in terms of getting new users. hopefully once they catch up there will be more price wars between the two.

Personally I find time exclusives to be more annoying then actual exclusives. Since all it does is delay the more hardcore fan base from enjoying the game (Only really affects console gamers since you'd tend to need to get a new console if you want to enjoy it quick) But with PC you can download the Epic launcher like steam and to me its the same thing (Must be online etc. at least you don't need a new pc to play.)

Though with borderlands I guess its more of the friends problem existing steam friend list etc.

Apr 9, 2019 9:24 AM

May 2018
GoldenSaltPillar said:

I love Borderlands 2, but reviews stopped meaning anything a LONG time ago. "Professional" reviewers get bought up or eat the latest flavor of the month trash because they have no experience with the genre and Steam/Metacritic user reviews are full of fanboys, review bombs&platform wars. The only good metric for if a game is good or not nowadays is just watching a muted, full game walkthrough and see if the length and what you see in the first couple of hours matches your interests.

That being said, implying borderlands isn't good and then praising two mediocre indie games saying they're great doesn't help the person you're having an argument with. But then again, taste is subjective, you can ramble on and on about how the games I like are good and the games someone else likes are bad and that still wouldn't change how I feel about them, it has to "click" and being enjoyable to you, doesn't matter how much praise they get if you don't like them.

Sigh, so let there be some bought up critics in between, IF there are that many. In the end we're talking about the average of a literal bunch of critics, and what comes out of it has some value. If you like it or not.
As a matter of fact, that bought up-assumption is what it is, just an assumption. Because, games like "Left Alive" or "Fallout 76" tell a different story.

By the way, that was in no way an argmument. Numbers don't lie and someone who denies the facts ,because of his/her own feelings, are useless to come by anyways.^^ Well, and calling out to Underrail and Pathfinder as gaming worlds only saviors, closes the case pretty much.
Apr 12, 2019 7:41 AM
Feb 2016
I mostly play on consoles, I'm pretty ambivalent towards the whole affair.

Apr 12, 2019 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
Exclusivity of all kinds sucks, but the Epic Store is a massive Tencent botnet so it sucks even more than usual.
Apr 12, 2019 11:54 AM

Nov 2016
I'm using Epic Launcher for already some time as I was using Unreal Engine, so I don't have the problem with "yet another launcher". This we can set aside. The only problem I see is that there is not much functionality yet. Steam is a social platform where Epic Games Store looks more like a shopwindow.

Well if it goes to exclusiveness of Borderlands, I don't think it's something bad. Borderlands 3 never were promised on Steam and were announced straight on Epic Games Store in contrast to for example Metro Exodus or Anno 1800.

Epic is like any big company and they want to make money. Personally, I think the revenue proposal is very beneficial for game developers and it's a good thing, because what offers Valve is not very applicable for the industry today. For gamers it won't matter much. It's the same as with Origin, Uplay etc. If you don't like it, you won't buy anything what's not being released on Steam...

When you get Signature removed once again.
Apr 12, 2019 3:23 PM
Jul 2018
I just checked Epic store, and Lol, except for a time-exclusive Metro game the rest of their games are garbage.
Apr 13, 2019 3:21 AM

Mar 2017
Tbh, i don't play PC games often because my PC system are outdated as fuck, but i can say that Epic's attempt to compete with Steam is not right.

At least, match Steam's quality first before doing that.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Apr 14, 2019 12:28 AM
Feb 2014
STEAM OR GTFO FUCK EPIC AND FUCK TENCENT

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门
Apr 14, 2019 5:58 AM

Aug 2014
As long as Epic Game still have fortnite money they will continue this practice of buying exclusivity. Oh well since they already have bought over some indie game that I was looking forward too, I just going to boycott them even when they arrive on Steam.
Apr 14, 2019 5:33 PM

May 2009
jesteri said:
So Borderlands 3 seems to be now exclusively on the epic store for 6 months or so before it hits other platforms. Not only this but more and more games are signing exclusive deals with epic. What do you think of epic and this decision?
I don't plan on getting an Epic account or buying games there.

Frankly speaking, Borderlands 3 is not even on my radar of things I want to play, but Subnautica and Axiom Verge are, and Epic offered both of them for free, and I still turned them down.

The main reason for this is that I don't want to buy games with DRM anymore. I do have a Steam account and I sorta begrudgingly put up with the fact that Steam has an immense number of games in its catalogue, and besides, I already have an account there. And I understand that some big publishers may have qualms about releasing their stuff DRM-free, but fortunately I don't buy those games much. But yeah, any game that's available on Steam as well as available DRM-free anywhere else (e.g. GamersGate, GOG, Humble Store, itch.io, Playism, dev store, etc.), I've de-listed from my Steam wishlist and wishlisted it at a DRM-free source.

I used to not care much about DRM but that changed after a bad experience with a Steam security issue. Basically they left a way for malicious individuals to change people's passwords and then attempt a login. My account was never fully accessed by them, thanks to Steam Guard working properly, but I still got locked out of accessing my games, for about a week. That taught me an important lesson about DRM, even something as light as Steam. (Besides, sometimes I do just wanna get away from all its social features.)

jesteri said:
As a novice game developer(working on a free to play mmo that will not use either stores), a lot of indie game devs I've talked to are having it rough and I personally don't like steam taking a huge 33% cut when they have enough money to sustain themselves almost indefinitely, and that they don't seem to be spending the money on making their own games and stuff.
From what I've heard, Steam's cut is 30%, not 33%.

Anyhow, where are you thinking of releasing your game? itch.io? I hear they give pretty much a "choose what cut you want" thing for their store. Though I'm not sure how it'd work for stuff that's not just a one-time payment but is instead microtransactions for a f2p game.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 14, 2019 8:52 PM

Sep 2018
lol, drm is usually always broken eventually and i think its a waste of resources when they could be investing in other areas. I'm hugely fond of id software and how they open source their game after a certain while.

GlennMagusHarvey said:

Anyhow, where are you thinking of releasing your game? itch.io? I hear they give pretty much a "choose what cut you want" thing for their store. Though I'm not sure how it'd work for stuff that's not just a one-time payment but is instead microtransactions for a f2p game.

Ehh, at the moment I'm thinking of just doing self publishing and distribution, and hope it gets widely successful through word of mouth, hopefully like league of legends and if it doesn't gain traction after a while, then I'll start reaching out for a publisher with a high user base.
Apr 15, 2019 4:03 AM

Jan 2019
While I hate the epic client as much as the next guy, I will be playing Borderlands 3 if the reviews are good. I really don't care for this Steam loyalty tribalism.

In the long term I think exclusivity deals are positive, they encourage competition in the market and if Steam can get some real competitors, they'll have to lower their ridiculous 30% take.

And hey, if Steam becomes less profitable for Valve maybe they'll get off their ass and start making games again. :)
ForeverTraitorApr 15, 2019 4:07 AM

Apr 15, 2019 9:32 AM
Jul 2018
TAS_the_SPAS said:
While I hate the epic client as much as the next guy, I will be playing Borderlands 3 if the reviews are good. I really don't care for this Steam loyalty tribalism.

In the long term I think exclusivity deals are positive, they encourage competition in the market and if Steam can get some real competitors, they'll have to lower their ridiculous 30% take.

And hey, if Steam becomes less profitable for Valve maybe they'll get off their ass and start making games again. :)

The only exclusivities that make sense and superior in terms of controls, UI interface, etc. to consoles are CRPGs and Strategy CRPGs, other than that exclusivity makes no sense whatsoever and nothing but a simple cash grab from dick-head companies like SONY/Nintendo/ with their "lifespan of a fly" shit-consoles. (I can just turn on my (PC)Laptop and play games that were made 20-30 years ago and I can also play recently made games). Exclusivity is nothing but an obstacle, making people waste their money to buy some extra and unnecessary "lifespan of a fly" shit-hardware just to play games is an >ass move< from their side.
Apr 15, 2019 10:13 AM

Jan 2019
BallistikJuice said:
TAS_the_SPAS said:

The only exclusivities that make sense and superior in terms of controls, UI interface, etc. to consoles are CRPGs and Strategy CRPGs, other than that exclusivity makes no sense whatsoever and nothing but a simple cash grab from dick-head companies like SONY/Nintendo/ with their "lifespan of a fly" shit-consoles. (I can just turn on my (PC)Laptop and play games that were made 20-30 years ago and I can also play recently made games). Exclusivity is nothing but an obstacle, making people waste their money to buy some extra and unnecessary "lifespan of a fly" shit-hardware just to play games is an >ass move< from their side.

I apoligise for not being specific enough with my wording but I meant that PC store exclusivity deals are a positive thing. Console exclusives are a completely different debate.

Apr 15, 2019 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
TAS_the_SPAS said:
BallistikJuice said:

I apoligise for not being specific enough with my wording but I meant that PC store exclusivity deals are a positive thing. Console exclusives are a completely different debate.

Oh, well... I still think that making a PC game exclusive to only one store/place to buy from is an ass move also, but I really don't care since it's Borderlands (who gives a shit).

For me personally, all the best PC games can be purchased from GOG, so, yeah.
Apr 16, 2019 11:35 PM

Nov 2018
SamHandwich said:
1. Competition is good for the consumer. Steam might have some decent sales again if they see users jumping ship.
2. Please give dark skin muscle woman

This is not healthy competition. Steam already has some competition from GOG among others. Epic doesn't give a shit about the consumers so even without doing anything Steam will win against the Epic store. The only reason why Epic store will keep functioning is because of the cash cow called Fortnite
Apr 20, 2019 7:10 PM

Jul 2016
Don't hate the player hate the game.

I understand that the Epic launcher is inconvenient but I can't get upset about it. Under Capitalism this is the only way they could compete with steam.

Apr 20, 2019 11:06 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Fine by me, there's so many other launchers at this point I don't mind another one and I was already using the Epic Games Launcher just for the free game they offer every two weeks (plus because they had exclusivity on the game Hades and I love everything by Supergiant Games). Besides as far as I'm concerned the more competition the better hopefully it motivates Steam to give a slightly larger cut to the Game Devs.
Apr 21, 2019 10:55 AM

May 2018
They stole Metro Exodus from steam :3...seems like epic games got lot of money to throw..

More topics from this board

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
2 hours ago

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 11 hours ago

0 by johnsrp »»
11 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
Yesterday, 9:54 PM

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
Yesterday, 6:16 PM

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.