Forum Settings
Forums

What is the lowest score you give to an anime?

New
Mar 14, 2019 7:25 AM

Oct 2018
For me it's 6/10

I never rate any anime less than 6(well Tokyo Ghoul's last season is the only exception) and it's pretty rare that I'd rate an anime with that score, since if I don't like an anime enough to give it at least 6/10 then usually I don't even finish it,and I don't rate anime's that I haven't fully watched, unless I've watched at least 2/3 of it then dropped(Like Death Note)

But a 6/10 for me doesn't mean it's bad
6/10 is the fine category for me
Then 7/10 is something that I enjoyed, but not enough to watch multiple seasons of it
8/10 is something that I enjoyed enough to watch more seasons of it, but for some reason I was hesitating watching it sometimes
And then 9/10 and 10/10 is something that I really enjoyed, these are the animes I could watch hundreds of episodes of, there's not much difference between the two ratings
One difference between the two is what I rate 9/10 I only watch once, but what I rate 10/10, that I usually re-watch at least once
-Aincrad-Mar 15, 2019 7:19 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 14, 2019 7:29 AM
May 2016
the lowest for me is 1/10, i like using the entire scale
Mar 14, 2019 7:30 AM

Feb 2010
Erm, an 1/10 cause I'm not handicapped and somehow incapable of using the whole scale?

People like OP are why people say MAL scores are useless, when scores that are supposed to mean 'fine' and 'good' are used to mean 'bad' for completely random and irrational reasons that make no sense.

But well, to each their own. If someone wants their own scores to be meaningless, they have every right to make them meaningless.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 14, 2019 7:31 AM

Jan 2013
1, I make use of the full rating scale.
Mar 14, 2019 7:32 AM
Jan 2019
the only 2 animes I rated below 4 is from this season
Mar 14, 2019 7:33 AM

Oct 2018
Pullman said:
Erm, an 1/10 cause I'm not handicapped and somehow incapable of using the whole scale?

People like OP are why people say MAL scores are useless, when scores that are supposed to mean 'fine' and 'good' are used to mean 'bad' for completely random and irrational reasons that make no sense.

But well, to each their own. If someone wants their own scores to be meaningless, they have every right to make them meaningless.

I'm not using the whole scale, because as I said, If i don't like an anime, I just don't finish it, and I don't rate it 1/10 just because it wasn't a good anime for me

Just because you don't like something, it doesn't necessarily mean it's so bad that it'd deserve 1/10
Mar 14, 2019 7:35 AM
Jul 2018
I think the lowest was like a 5 and it was Yuri on Ice. I eventually took all of my ratings off since I find them pointless.
Mar 14, 2019 7:38 AM

Jul 2013
0/10

Yes. I can go lower than a 1. But those are special kind of bad and atm I only have 3 anime.

Mar 14, 2019 7:39 AM

Feb 2018
1/10, because I use the entire rating scale.
Mar 14, 2019 7:40 AM

Oct 2018
GalacticMagna said:
0/10

Yes. I can go lower than a 1. But those are special kind of bad and atm I only have 3 anime.

I'm surprised Boku no Pico deserved a 1 :D
Mar 14, 2019 7:45 AM

Aug 2018
1/10... That honor goes to the 2nd season of Oreimo.
Mar 14, 2019 7:47 AM

Aug 2015

Ytujfyjfdgvnjhyybbelowthisismadeforloosersdghdjncjnfyhdhgch
Mar 14, 2019 7:48 AM

Oct 2018
Alice_Synthesis said:

Wow, you're the first person with a higher mean score than me(and with a 9+ one) I've seen so far
Mar 14, 2019 7:48 AM

Jul 2013
there is a 1 to 10 scale for one reason and I use it

your 7 still means good so makes no sense why you gave this rating to an anime you didn't enjoy
I . A M . D E A D !  C O N T I N U E ?

INSERT COIN

Mar 14, 2019 7:50 AM

Aug 2015
-Aincrad- said:
Alice_Synthesis said:

Wow, you're the first person with a higher mean score than me(and with a 9+ one) I've seen so far

I know the kind of animes i will like.
Mar 14, 2019 7:50 AM

Oct 2018
Y2J said:
there is a 1 to 10 scale for one reason and I use it

your 7 still means good so makes no sense why you gave this rating to an anime you didn't enjoy

For me 7/10 is something that was good, I still enjoyed it, but I wouldn't watch more than one season of it
Mar 14, 2019 7:55 AM

Jan 2017
-Aincrad- said:
Pullman said:

I'm not using the whole scale, because as I said, If i don't like an anime, I just don't finish it, and I don't rate it 1/10 just because it wasn't a good anime for me

Just because you don't like something, it doesn't necessarily mean it's so bad that it'd deserve 1/10

Yeah I agree. I don't have a problem with people using the entire scale but I personally usually wont finish an anime if it is trending towards a sub 4 rating. This results in my finished score ranging from 4-10 with the extremes being extremely rare. Respect to those that have the patience to watch a show that they deem a 1 rating though lol
Mar 14, 2019 7:58 AM

Jul 2017
1/10, because even though I rarely rate something lower than 5, there are shows that deserve very low marks from my point of view.
However I've only rated 4 shows with 1, and don't think I'll ever give a 1 to any other anime.
My most frequent rating is 9, since I tend to enjoy almost everything I watch.
Mar 14, 2019 7:59 AM

Oct 2010
Well, I think this is quite self-explanatory:
Mar 14, 2019 8:00 AM

Feb 2019
@-Aincrad- have you seen boku no pico or haruhi suzumiya s2?
Mar 14, 2019 8:02 AM
Feb 2017
Pullman said:

I think it's your scores that ruin the scoring system. Unless someone intentionally makes a show with 0 appeals and makes the complete story offensive and trash, there is no possible way to put a 0 for a score unless you're just trying to ride the hate train. You gave Your Lie in April a 1/10, when that show obviously had things going for it. If anything that makes no sense unless you have a personal grudge against it.

But then again, there is a reason why it's called an opinion. MAL scores are just supposed to be an average of what the community thinks. I find them reliable at times.
Mar 14, 2019 8:04 AM

May 2018
-Aincrad- said:
Pullman said:

That looks like critical uncertainty to me. If you didn't like it, it's bad, it's much more simple than you might think, you don't have to feel sorry for what you're watching. If it's shit just give it a fair score. A 6/10 is a good anime on my book, so if that's your lowest score I trust even less in MAL as a db lol

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Mar 14, 2019 8:05 AM
Feb 2017
The lowest I've given was a 5 (average). I only have a few shows that I rate a 5, but Tokyo Ghoul Re is border line to being a 4 (bad).
Mar 14, 2019 8:08 AM

Sep 2018
Hopefully 2 because if I rate something a 1 that means that it literally gave me a brain tumor
Mar 14, 2019 8:11 AM

Feb 2019
i could never watch something that I consider a 2/10 that's just unhealthy. well the lowest i have given is 6.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Mar 14, 2019 8:14 AM

Oct 2018
Sachyan said:
-Aincrad- said:

That looks like critical uncertainty to me. If you didn't like it, it's bad, it's much more simple than you might think, you don't have to feel sorry for what you're watching. If it's shit just give it a fair score. A 6/10 is a good anime on my book, so if that's your lowest score I trust even less in MAL as a db lol

I just don't like calling an anime bad(or sh*t) or rate it so low just because I didn't like it

Like out of the animes I've dropped, there isn't any I'd call bad, it's just that they weren't my type, but I can still tell they weren't actually bad ones

(Maybe Shinmai Maou no Testament is one I'd call bad, it's basically a hentai with superpowers)

Mar 14, 2019 8:23 AM

May 2018
If you look at the scores like they were percents, you can tell that a 6/10 is quite high. I mean: 10 is 100%; 9 is 90%; 8 is 80%; 7 is 70% (that means a score of 7/10 is 70% good, hence that is great stuff, if I look at a game that has 70% of mean score on metacritic, just to use a random example, I'm pretty sure the game is well approved by the community and I'll seriously consider buy it). A 6 is 60% (60% good, wow, that's actually something, so the anime has much more positive points than negative), a 5 is 50%, a 4 is 40% (which is kinda bad, but hey 40% good? that's okay, you can still have a good time with it), a 3 is 30%, a 2 is 20% and a 1 is 10% (which means is not even the shittiest crap). I mean, I see no reason to not use the whole rating system, that's what the scores are made for, you won't offend anyone if you decide to use them all, it's fair after all.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Mar 14, 2019 8:27 AM

Feb 2019
The lowest I've ever given something is a 4. Maybe it's because I haven't watched as many anime as other weebs, so I haven't found anything I truly despise enough to rate lower than that. But even with anime that I personally haven't enjoyed, I'm objective enough to identify certain things the anime does well, or at least passable enough that I can avoid giving it a lower score.
When you stand at the cliff's edge, staring into the darkness below, the most horrifying realization is not that you might slip, but that you could leap.
Mar 14, 2019 8:31 AM

Sep 2018
1 for, Sora to Umi no Aida, Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan, Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni., Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.

That's reserved for the worst that I drop without completing the first episode.
Mar 14, 2019 8:31 AM

Feb 2010
BlakexEkalb said:
Pullman said:

I think it's your scores that ruin the scoring system. Unless someone intentionally makes a show with 0 appeals and makes the complete story offensive and trash, there is no possible way to put a 0 for a score unless you're just trying to ride the hate train. You gave Your Lie in April a 1/10, when that show obviously had things going for it. If anything that makes no sense unless you have a personal grudge against it.

But then again, there is a reason why it's called an opinion. MAL scores are just supposed to be an average of what the community thinks. I find them reliable at times.

I do have a personal grudge against it. I find it offensively bad at dealing with mental health issues and even actively dangerous if people take the 'methods' applied in that show to heart and think that they could actually help someone overcome trauma by reenforcing that trauma.

But congrats, you found the one show on my ~5k entries list that I have a deep and personal hatred for. I'm sure that ruins the average score much more significantly than scoring hundreds of titles 2-3 points higher than what their actual opinion of them is...

Heck, you said it yourself, it's an opinion and if the score reflects that opinion that's how it should be. That's how it is with me and Shigatsu. But that's not how it is with people like OP who give 6s and 7s to the stuff they enjoyed the least on their whole list. There is a clear dissonance between their opinion and the meaning of the score they attach to it. And that's the real issue here, not the exact numbers you give to any single show. If you systematically use 'good' scores to mark your worst experiences, that makes the system less reliable.

-Aincrad- said:
Pullman said:

Of course. But giving something you didn't like a 7 is even less rational. There's a multitude of scores in between that you can pick. I understand that some people might not need 4 different scores for bad stuff and stuff they didn't like if they aren't watching a whole lot and don't feel the need to differentiate between different levels of bad, but I don't understand completely refusing to use any negative scores ever even if you dislike a show. That just makes no sense, having a positive score like 6 or 7 stand for your worst experiences. At least 4 and 5 should find use on every list, cause everyone has shows they didn't like, found bad or just very mediocre.

You can argue about the 1-3 scores, I definitely don't give those to many titles myself and most of them are shorts, music videos and the likes. I still like being able to set apart stuff that was just kinda bad from absolute trash and stuff that is literally physically painful to watch (trust me, there are some shorts you don't even wanna know about) but I can see that not being of concern to most people who only watch more mainstream anime. But there isn't really an excuse to systematically refuse to give out 5s and 4s.
Mar 14, 2019 8:42 AM

Oct 2018
Pullman said:
BlakexEkalb said:

I do have a personal grudge against it. I find it offensively bad at dealing with mental health issues and even actively dangerous if people take the 'methods' applied in that show to heart and think that they could actually help someone overcome trauma by reenforcing that trauma.

But congrats, you found the one show on my ~5k entries list that I have a deep and personal hatred for. I'm sure that ruins the average score much more significantly than scoring hundreds of titles 2-3 points higher than what their actual opinion of them is...

Heck, you said it yourself, it's an opinion and if the score reflects that opinion that's how it should be. That's how it is with me and Shigatsu. But that's not how it is with people like OP who give 6s and 7s to the stuff they enjoyed the least on their whole list. There is a clear dissonance between their opinion and the meaning of the score they attach to it. And that's the real issue here, not the exact numbers you give to any single show. If you systematically use 'good' scores to mark your worst experiences, that makes the system less reliable.

-Aincrad- said:

Of course. But giving something you didn't like a 7 is even less rational. There's a multitude of scores in between that you can pick. I understand that some people might not need 4 different scores for bad stuff and stuff they didn't like if they aren't watching a whole lot and don't feel the need to differentiate between different levels of bad, but I don't understand completely refusing to use any negative scores ever even if you dislike a show. That just makes no sense, having a positive score like 6 or 7 stand for your worst experiences. At least 4 and 5 should find use on every list, cause everyone has shows they didn't like, found bad or just very mediocre.

You can argue about the 1-3 scores, I definitely don't give those to many titles myself and most of them are shorts, music videos and the likes. I still like being able to set apart stuff that was just kinda bad from absolute trash and stuff that is literally physically painful to watch (trust me, there are some shorts you don't even wanna know about) but I can see that not being of concern to most people who only watch more mainstream anime. But there isn't really an excuse to systematically refuse to give out 5s and 4s.

I edited my post,explaining how I rate the animes in a few words, since there seem to be some misunderstanding, also I mistyped something

The animes I rated 6/10(that's the lowest I rate) are not ones I didn't enjoy
If I don't enjoy an anime I don't even rate it, like the ones I've dropped

If I finish any anime and rate it(obviously), it's because I enjoyed it enough to watch it
It's just there are differences in how much I enjoyed one

Please reread my post, I've explained how I rate the animes
-Aincrad-Mar 14, 2019 8:45 AM
Mar 14, 2019 8:46 AM

Apr 2017
1/10. I gave it only to one anime tho. I don't have problems to rate something low, I mean if I dislike it very very very much then yeah I can even give below 6/10 without regrets.
Mar 14, 2019 8:53 AM

Sep 2018
2/10 and it was No Game No Life

above that it's 4/10

I don't get using the full scale. I usually drop the shows I think are bad
We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Mar 14, 2019 8:58 AM
Jan 2019
Lowest score i have given to an anime is black lagoon those action scenes are god awful and characters are edgy as hell and second anime is anohana:the cringe we saw that day
Mar 14, 2019 9:01 AM
May 2016
What is the lowest score you give to an anime?

Lowest is 1

Air
Akame ga Kill!
Angel Beats!
Another
Berserk
Black Clover
Boku no Hero Academia
Clannad
Claymore
Code Geass
D.Gray-man
Deadman Wonderland
Evangelion
All Fate [expect Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya]
Gintama
Hunter x Hunter
JoJo
Kanon
Mob Psycho 100
One Punch Man
Overlord
Psycho-Pass
Re:Zero
Shingeki no Kyojin
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Tokyo Ghoul
Toradora!
Mar 14, 2019 9:08 AM

Sep 2018
Pullman said:

What a bitch of a user.
And meaningless? Every user have their own meaning in their ratings.

I don't think too deep when rating a show. I just rate what I feel like.
To think deeply over rating your favorite anime is nothing but lame. Grow up.

You watch shit shows worth rating 1/10 then it's your responsibility to wait a second and say "what the fuck am i doing with my life?"

BloeMar 14, 2019 9:43 AM
We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Mar 14, 2019 9:11 AM
Feb 2017
Pullman said:
BlakexEkalb said:

-Aincrad- said:

If you deeply hate something, go for it. I won't try to soften the score if I dislike something, I'll flat out give it a low score. Just hasn't happened to me yet.
Mar 14, 2019 9:34 AM

Apr 2017
3 so far, and I hope and anticipate not to come across ones that deserve an even lower rating.
Mar 14, 2019 9:34 AM

Oct 2014
My lowest score I used for any anime is 1/10 which I've used nearly 200 times. The lowest rating I've ever used for a 240+ minute anime is 2/10 which I've given to Big Order and no other TV series or similar length anime. The lowest score I'll use for TV series on any consistent basis is a 3.
Mar 14, 2019 9:50 AM

Feb 2017
My lowest score I've given it was either a 5 or one. That was for a few anime though because it failed for me to be anything coherent.
Mar 14, 2019 10:08 AM

Mar 2017
I've given several 4 ratings to shows, which in general means it's not very good but isn't altogether terrible. Only twice have I given a show a lower rating, and both times the show was cringy bad.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Mar 14, 2019 10:10 AM

May 2014
0, but I give them 1 since I'd otherwise have to use unrated which doesn't look right.
Mar 14, 2019 10:11 AM

Aug 2017
For me it's 1/10. We need to use the entire scale. It seems that OP doesn't need it.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 14, 2019 10:27 AM

Feb 2010
Bloe said:
Pullman said:

What a bitch of a user.
And meaningless? Every user have their own meaning in their ratings.

I don't think too deep when rating a show. I just rate what I feel like.
To think deeply over rating your favorite anime is nothing but lame. Grow up.

You watch shit shows worth rating 1/10 then it's your responsibility to wait a second and say "what the fuck am i doing with my life?"

Great reading comprehension to miss the point so blatantly. Not even worth trying to argue with someone like you who calls thinking 'lame' just because you don't like to do it and are possibly incapable of doing so. Personally I enjoy using my brain especially regarding things I'm passionate about and enjoy, like anime, but to each their own. I can see your brain is of a more ornamental nature apparently, with thinking being lame and all that edgy stuff.

Also me saying you shouldn't use 7 and 6 for stuff you dislike is somehow countered by saying 'you have given a 1/10 to something, your life must suck'? Fantastic argument, really....

The fact that I've seen a handful of really awful shorts and the likes while exploring this medium (a whooping 0,3% of my list btw, I should definitely question my life choices because of that, you got me good) has nothing to do with it being irrational to give positive scores to things you don't think positively of, which was all I was saying.

That's just inherently contradictory because you use scores that don't represent how you feel about the show. It has nothing to do with thinking too deeply or 'rating how you feel like it'. That's the whole issue, you aren't rating how you feel if you give 7 to bad shows, you're using a score that does not represent your feelings towards the show. That's why it makes the scores meaningless. They don't mean what they mean. A score meant to represent 'good' instead represents 'bad' all of a sudden even tho there already is a score for that. Why? What is the upside? What possible justification can there be that isn't completely arbitrary? All I can see is downsides.

If OP edited his post later on so it says something differently now, that's not my fault. Initially it literally said he gives good scores like 6 or 7 to stuff he didn't like so that's what I talked about. If you can't understand why that makes no sense to me, then I'm sorry, I'm sure there must be a lot of things you don't understand including basic logic.

So come back if you have anything resembling an actual argument as to why it makes sense to give a 7 to bad shows you dislike, and not just random, personal attacks that don't even make sense. You're not proving anything like that, you're just embarassing yourself. But if you insist on going down the insult route instead of going for arguments, I can roll with it. You don't seem to be very good at either tbh. Probably because of how thinking is lame and you prefer not doing it.
Mar 14, 2019 10:29 AM

Jul 2013
1, of course. The number exists for a reason.
Mar 14, 2019 10:33 AM

Apr 2015
Obviously 1/10 because unlike many people, I tend to used the hold rating scale.
Mar 14, 2019 10:39 AM

Apr 2017
Theoretically 1, although I haven't seen show that atrocious yet. Generally speaking if I finish a show, I hardly ever rate it bellow 5, and most of the time it's 6+, since I clearly enjoyed it if I finished it, so it can't be that bad, at least for my standards. If shows is mediocre or worse, I drop it, so for dropped shows I either don't bother rating them, or it's somewhere bellow 5 most of the time.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Mar 14, 2019 10:46 AM

Nov 2016
If you didn't like something show it. Good can't exist without bad and if the latter can't be found on your list, then people will interpret your scores like this.

5 = trash

6's = mediocre

7's = average

8's = kinda good

9's = good

10's = great

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 14, 2019 11:12 AM
Jan 2018
FMmatron said:
If you didn't like something show it. Good can't exist without bad and if the latter can't be found on your list, then people will interpret your scores like this.

5 = trash

6's = mediocre

7's = average

8's = kinda good

9's = good

10's = great
Pretty much that. People that only use 1/2 or even 1/3(e.g. 7 to 10) of the scale just lose credibility of those scores. And unrated shows seem more like "I forgot to give it a score" or "I don't bother to rate them nowadays" instead of conveying "it was bad". And that's kinda scumbaggy in my opinion. If something is bad, one should actually warn others.
Mar 14, 2019 11:29 AM

Oct 2018
1048596beta said:
FMmatron said:

5 = trash

6's = mediocre

7's = average

8's = kinda good

9's = good

10's = great
Pretty much that. People that only use 1/2 or even 1/3(e.g. 7 to 10) of the scale just lose credibility of those scores. And unrated shows seem more like "I forgot to give it a score" or "I don't bother to rate them nowadays" instead of conveying "it was bad". And that's kinda scumbaggy in my opinion. If something is bad, one should actually warn others.

The animes that I haven't rated, are either ones I've dropped, because ..., I'm not gonna write it down for once more, or the ones I've seen a long ago, like years ago most of them, and I couldn't really rate them now unless I watch them again, so I just added them to my list as completed
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

135 by -YaoiBoy- »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
11 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 30 minutes ago

2 by LightWorker »»
11 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 7 hours ago

23 by Horshu »»
12 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

47 by traed »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.