Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 4, 2019 2:20 PM

Aug 2017
People nowdays are just too distracted. Most of the people can't follow long and complicated story due to their laziness. They don't use brain meanwhile watching something,by now they just want to watch flashy image with no subsance. So the producers prefer doing short-running series to statify the audience and get the money.I remember that once I've read somewhere that movies are becoming less popular because people prefer watching short series. After reading it,I felt bad.
MucosaMar 4, 2019 2:31 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2019 4:05 PM

Feb 2016
1- It is not surprising at all, like most people said there are a lot of stuff to see out there, people are less patient, and it demands less investment, so it's less risky.

2- Probably single-cour and 2-cour will dominate...

3- I prefer longer anime, my favorite ones are usually long: FMAB, jojo, gintama, naruto, hunter x hunter, Diamond no ace, katekyo hitman reborn, d. gray man, slam dunk. It is much better to have a long, complex and COMPLETE story in which you can relate with the characters compared to something short. Ok, some times even in long anime they don't manage to adapt all of it, but I still prefer. Ok, there are fillers some times, I don't like them either, so the ideal is to adapt a story when the manga/light novel is finished and we get a complete story without fillers (yeah, jojo is awesome because of this).

I think the same about manga, sometimes you want to read a short story, but most of the time the most compelling stories are going to be the long ones. The short ones you read and then you forget, you don't care about them after a few days. The long ones stay with you for life.
Mar 4, 2019 4:27 PM
Jul 2018
LiedElfen said:

I read your long post too and understand the idea of what you say but A lot of people would remember legend of the galactic heroes, Urusei yatsura, Ashita no joe and the sort if they were 12 episodes long, they certainly wouldn't be the same nor have the same kind of impact but they would still be remembered in their own ways. Mob Psycho 100 is a 1-cour series that has proven time and time again that 12 episodes is enough for making a classic.

Many manga were adapted into short OVA back then too, though they were rather obscure. I think a 13 episode series is a better alternative if it has passable animation.
Mar 4, 2019 5:18 PM

Apr 2015
mhkr said:
@Cookies I just want to know where these charts come from. Thanks.
I'd love to tell you but that's my secret ;-)
Milomite said:
I'm surprised that 2017 didn't have any 3 cours or higher, at least one.
AFAIK the only shows longer than 2-cour were continuing from last year, or were created that year to be longer than 4-cour.
Jhiday said:
Cookies said:
As is becoming an ever-present sight in seasonal anime, there has been a tremendous increase in single-cour anime, in tern leading to a decrease in every other length of anime.
This graph is bullshit : there has been no noticeable decrease in the number of long anime over the years. If anything, they've been slowly increasing.
The graph doesn't show raw numbers, so yes single cour is increasing but it doesn't show how much anime there is as a whole.
So yes, there's been an explosion of 1-cour anime is spectacular (150+ per year for the last 5 years !). But it's hasn't really harmed any of the other categories. That's the reality the opening graph completely fails to depict.
This is not true. You're saying "Single cour has grown, that doesn't mean the other lengths are dying." Anime studios are choosing to invest more and more in single cour and even if 2/3/4 cour stays the same as always, the bigger the market grows the less there are in proportion, showing studios are not choosing to invest in those options. Also there has been a plain decrease in 3/4 cour anime and slightly in 2 cour anime regardless of the growth of 1 cour.
jal90 said:
You can't call it a "decrease" if it turns that there are actually more long running shows nowadays. That's the issue with playing with percentages instead of total numbers.
There are less 3/4 cour anime than ever before. The graph doesn't depict longer running shows. Also, I can still say "decrease" in regards to percentage/proportion anyway, it doesn't have to mean in raw numbers.
mwalimu said:
Here's a thought... Is it possible the technology might have something to do with the shift? Speaking purely from the fan's side of things, between 2000 and 2004, DVDs were overtaking VHS as the primary home medium, not many people had fast enough Internet connections to stream video or to download it, nor the storage media to save it if they were so inclined (we used to think a 650M CD-R was a *lot* of data; that wouldn't even hold one 25-minute episode at HD quality). People were largely limited to whatever anime were being carried by cable channels, unless they had friends who bought and were willing to share home video editions. Sites like MAL didn't exist to give immediate feedback on how well a show was being received; producers still had to rely on old-fashioned tools like TV ratings.

I haven't even gotten into how technology would factor into things on the production side, which I'm a lot less familiar with but which may play an even greater role.

Could all of these things be contributing factors to the trend from longer-running to shorter shows?
Yes. I would say not a huge impact, but definitely an impact to some extent. The extremities to how good/bad shows can be have increased with anime being more accessible. Flops flop harder, good shows get an even bigger following, and that's partly why studios choose to invest in smaller shows and have sequels if it is successful, as to avoid longer more extreme flops, and have a sequel if it does turn out to do well, instead of going for an all or nothing long running show.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Mar 4, 2019 5:38 PM

Oct 2010
Cookies said:
jal90 said:
You can't call it a "decrease" if it turns that there are actually more long running shows nowadays. That's the issue with playing with percentages instead of total numbers.
There are less 3/4 cour anime than ever before. The graph doesn't depict longer running shows. Also, I can still say "decrease" in regards to percentage/proportion anyway, it doesn't have to mean in raw numbers.

Fair point, but the thing is that using different metrics will make us reach different conclusions on the matter.

Also, this:
Cookies said:
Milomite said:
I'm surprised that 2017 didn't have any 3 cours or higher, at least one.
AFAIK the only shows longer than 2-cour were continuing from last year, or were created that year to be longer than 4-cour.

Is not really true. Check the seasonal charts. These shows are almost never in a high position due to their lack of popularity in MAL, but they exist. In spring specially there were quite a few.
Mar 4, 2019 5:47 PM

Nov 2016
First off, there are a decent amount of multiple cour shows currently airing( 3 and more, not counting children shows) compared to other recent years, which I definitely approve.

Yes, I love long running stuff and it's kinda sad that many series with a lot of potential end up as one cour affairs. That said, there are also cases like Haikyuu, Food Wars and MyHero, which offer the best of both worlds. A single downside to this is that only extremely popular franchises are blessed with this treatment.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 4, 2019 6:03 PM

Apr 2015
jal90 said:
Cookies said:

Fair point, but the thing is that using different metrics will make us reach different conclusions on the matter.
That's true enough, that's the problem with percentages.
Also, this:
Cookies said:

Is not really true. Check the seasonal charts. These shows are almost never in a high position due to their lack of popularity in MAL, but they exist. In spring specially there were quite a few.
You're right, the only thing I noticed is that of the few 3/4 cour shows, they are all either have a shorter episode length, or they're kids shows, mostly both, but I have no idea how this may or may not affect the graph, just something I noticed.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Mar 4, 2019 6:05 PM

Sep 2018
It depends, but there's some anime that should not prolong and there's anime that needs have more episodes. But as of now, I like 12-13 episodes.
Mar 4, 2019 8:25 PM
Jul 2018
1. Yes. I can see that the amount of long running shows have been decreasing. But there are few reasons why it's like that for anime. The biggest problem with anime long running shows is that they may overtake the manga resulting into loads upon loads of godforsaken fillers! It is best for shows to have around 12-26 episodes per season just to have writers take up more time to write the story. A bit surprising but I could see why

2. I dunno. Will wait and see.

3. I think 2 cour anime per season is the best (and makes me satisfied the most). While 1 cour is okay (and less time consuming), it doesn't give enough of what I want. 3-4 cours are alright, but I doubt there would be any of those kinds anymore. 5 cours and beyond is okay if your taking breaks each cour/season (eg To Aru franchise), but not for the ones with filler (eg Bleach, Naruto or even Sailor Moon).
Mar 4, 2019 9:24 PM

Oct 2013
Is such a rapid decrease in long running shows surprising to you?

Sadly, it didn't surprise me that much, considering how expensive and how extensive is to make an anime. Like a single key frame consists alot of work, effort and detail. Aside from that, Japan would eventually enter a great economical regression either way.

Will single-cour continue to dominate, or do you believe something will change?

Ideally, I wouldn't want this to happen, but it will. That being said, anything can happen and trends can come and go.

What length anime is ideal in your opinion, why?

Multiple cours, if not atleast 2 cours. I mean, greater number of episodes means greater chances of developing it's characters (making them more likable and appreciative in my opinion), plot, and establishing it's world building. Letting it's exposition and narrative have more time to flow naturally without being convoluted
Mar 4, 2019 9:46 PM

Jan 2019
Not so much in that it seems this data kind of ties in with the rise of seasonal animes as a whole and, given that a single cour fits within a season (as well as the other good points you brought up), it makes sense.

I think so. I mean there is no way to predict changes as some new business strategy could come along and upend everything tomorrow, but barring that the current system seems to be working.

If I am marathoning a show after it came out I'd say 1-2 Cour. I dunno If I am the only guy like this but when I go to watch a show and see it has a 4-cour or more episode count, I tend to nope out of there.
If I am following it as a seasonal I would say, again 1-2 cour, but with a preference on 1. Unless the show is really really good (like slime) it feels weird going from one season to another and then having to go "oh yeah, that show still ain't finished up yet, has it?"

now an addendum to this that has me wondering is if the next innovation will be, not an increase or decrease in cour, but an increase in the overall length of each episode. So keeping single cour, but each episode is now 45 minutes to an hour instead of 22-30. I mean america has made that shift over time, in part, because of the growing streaming and "record now, watch later" culture before that; so I wonder if the increased popularity of anime overseas (which is done through streaming) might lead to an affect in market trends there in a similar fashion.
Mar 5, 2019 1:11 AM
May 2018
Aside from a very few exceptions, I never managed to appreciate characters, and setting in shorter titles, as much as I did in long running shows.

Characters become much more likeable, and almost like a part of ones life.

Mar 5, 2019 1:39 AM
Aug 2015
Pullman said:
Well, I didn't need that data to know that's what's happening but it's still kinda sad, albeit not surprising. People just have zero attention span nowadays, you can see it every season, they don't even make it through 1-cour worth of episodes before they get distracted, start AOTS threads and focus on the upcoming season. No surprise they don't want anything longer if even 1-cour is too much for them.

In my experience longer shows just have more tools to tell their stories, to flesh out characters, to do everything. You don't need them for every kind of story, but the kind of stories that we often get in anime are more often than not long-term oriented and would especially profit from getting more than 1-cour. You need time to tell epis stories and adventures, for example. 12 episodes aren't an adventure, that's a weekend trip. If it's good, it's just already over before I really start getting into it, and when it's bad even 12 eps are too much.

There is also the fact that spending time with someone will make you grow closer after a while even if you might not have initially liked them all that much. In my experience the amount of time you've spent with a character is an important factor in how much you care about them. I often find myself starting to really care for the characters after 50 or 100 episodes and by the end of it they might be among my favorite characters ever and I'll miss the shit out of them.

1-cour shows never even get to that point. It's much harder for them to make me care remotely as much about the chars when they have so little time to achieve that. When they succeed it's awesome, and arguable the best 1-cour shows are better than the best 100-ep shows because they manage to achieve the same level of immersion and appreciation with so much less time and everything, which is really impressive.

But at the same time these kind of 1-cour shows that feel complete and just hit all the right notes are extremely rare. Usually the best case for 1-cour shows is that they would have been great long-runners but ended in the middle or just at the start of the story and maybe there will be more season in 2-4 years, but maybe not. In any case by that point my hype and immersion will usually have simmered down and might or might not be reignited. If I could just continued on the spot for another 40 eps, I'd have had a blast for sure. So yeah, even if they do get sequels, I'd generally prefer not having to wait years in between.
The ones that really tell a complete story AND are great, are very rare.

So in my experience shows that are 50-100 eps long have the highest average score on my list followed by 25-50 episode shows and then I think 100+ episode shows (those can suffer from slow pace or fillers, but unless the characters are horrible like in Bleach my attachment to the characters still only grows over time and will carry those shows for me even in the worst case scenario (like Naruto fillers or One Piece pacing issues). But aside from that, my average score just gets lower the shorter the anime are. They have less time to impress me, less time to make me care, less time to deliver on what they're building up. Aside from the occasional masterpiece like *insert yuasa anime here* there's mostly downside to having almost everything be that short.

Anything longer than 2-cour will immediately make me interested because I know it will have the time to really get me immersed and not end right when I start getting into it (which is often after 12-25 eps) if it's good. And if it's bad I'm gonna drop it anyway, 12 eps of badness is already too much so whether it's that or 50 eps is irrelevant. But when it's enjoyable, it can really propel a show to the next level if it can continue beyond ep 12 or 13 and actually cash in on all the immersion it created early on, without giving me (in the best case scenario) 1 or 2 years until the sequel during which that immersion dissipates. Even for split cour shows I never watch season 1 before season 2 ends because it's just so much more enjoyable to be able to watch 25 eps at a pace of my choosing, than to watch 12 eps twice and have to wait 3 months in between while all the hype just dissipates.

I think exactly the same. Great post!
Mar 5, 2019 1:57 AM

Mar 2016
The value of Money is always decreased everytimes. So i'm not suprised

Yeah i think 1-cour will dominance at least for 5 years ahead

My favourite cour is depended on genre
-SoL and Comedic-centeric anime with zero plot is best in one cour anime
-anything else is best at 2 or 3 cours
-more than 5 cours for old classic 'kid' shows that i still watched today such as doraemon, chibi maruko-chan, pokemon, digimon, vanguard, yugioh, etc etc

Mar 5, 2019 1:58 AM
Jul 2018
I prefer 1 to 2 cour myself, but one of my all time favorites ran for 4 years, and I definitely wouldn't have minded it running for twice as long.
Mar 5, 2019 10:59 AM

Jun 2016

Defenetly not. This is the consequence of an increased economic pressure in media and is not limited to anime. Studios dare to risk less and less then quality starts dropping.But also people have less and less time and they dare to risk less thus prefering short shows.

This is a short term development which will remain for a while (decades?) then cumilate in a rejection simmilar how people cry when too much isekai. Then either studios will start to dare more OR we will see a general decrease in Anime consumption.

There is no ideal lenght and genre/purpose play an extra role. But for telling a story or creating attachment to characters 1 cour is usually not enough.

But more importantly I seriously question the 25min format. I think it harms many shows that they have to deliver in that time range. Some experimentation could help there.

PS: For a similar reason I made a suggestion to the Anime Watching Challenge last year: weigh partially by anime lenght! this way you could decide to watch more longer animes and by that lower required item count. The way it is now the challenge motivates us to watch short shows (then again they lowered the total item count oh well thats a way too).
Mar 5, 2019 12:21 PM

Nov 2015
Cookies said:
Questions

• Is such a rapid decrease in long running shows surprising to you?

• Will single-cour continue to dominate, or do you believe something will change?

• What length anime is ideal in your opinion, why?

I would say that I am a bit surprised to learn about this trend. I knew that a lot of popular seasonal anime were 1-cour, but didn't think to correlate this to a larger shift. According to MALGraph, 7-13 episode length series are my most common, making up about 49.57% of the shows that I watch. Conversely, 2-cour shows (14-26 eps) are only 18.13% of my total, with 3 & 4 together only adding up to about 2.83%. I just assumed that I had been happening to pick out and watch a majority of the 1-cour series that were available, but I suppose given that I usually watch series that have come out after 2000, this overall trend makes a bit of sense.
I don't think it's a slight, though. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with shorter-length anime. Quantity over quality is perhaps part of the reason for the shift, but think there are other factors to consider, such as which manga receive adaptations, and the quality of that source material. The success of a manga is what helps to spur it along to getting an adaptation. Some of the more popular works might not necessarily require a long-running anime. It might also be that a manga or piece of work that has plenty of material to adapt into a longer-than-average anime just isn't popular enough right now.

While I do think that 1-cour anime will continue to be popular, I don't think it will overtake completely. For now, it's a really good seasonal format that companies and anime studios can rely on without worrying about over-investing in potentially terrible shows. Plus, with the current rising popularity that anime as a medium has been achieving, it's no surprise that it will continue to gain fans and interest. Having shorter-length series to watch is an easier commitment to newer fans than having to sit down for a 20+ episode show.

I watch mostly 1-cour series, but I actually prefer 2-cour when I can find good ones. They have a more investing plot and story, with more depth to their characters and world building. I've only ever watched one 3-cour series, and what multi-cour anime I have watched usually have to have a lot of source material to adapt otherwise they start adding filler.
Mar 5, 2019 12:25 PM

May 2018
I just hope Bleach will rise like a Phoenix from the ashes on day :D
Mar 5, 2019 12:34 PM

Nov 2008
4+ cour anime are too costly, only kids shows and Gundam can do them now (and even Gundam has their 4 cour anime split into 2 cours per year). 3 cour anime are rare period even among kids shows, they used to be the norm for over 2 decades. That leaves us with some 2 cour anime of various assortment and mostly 1 cour otaku focused anime. It's going to get worse under Netflix as there aren't any 2+ cour anime available at the moment.

Mar 5, 2019 7:13 PM

Jul 2017
Not surprised at all and I think it's a good thing. We still have shows that go for years they just get split up and we don't have to see half the budget go to filler.
Mar 5, 2019 7:40 PM

May 2013
Not surprising considering how anime studios are constantly churning out animes without an emphasis on quality or substance.

They place more emphasis on their profit margins to anything else. Any good anime required the time and effort to do it right, rush them and you get a plethora of short seasonal anime that fade away as fast as they come.

Mar 5, 2019 7:48 PM

Oct 2013
There is more shows being made now than ever, so it is to be expected.
Mar 5, 2019 10:17 PM

Jun 2017
Really all lengths of shows are good except single cour, since there simply isn't enough time to tell a good story generally speaking (exceptions are sometimes romances, comedies, and wildcards like FLCL). The main problem is many shows 3 cour and beyond tend to have a lot of fluff, so 2 cour is generally the best for tight paced complete stories. Of course, if it's not full of fluff, like in the case of Sangatsu no Lion, I'll gladly watch longer shows.
Mar 5, 2019 10:32 PM

Dec 2016
Pullman said:
Well, I didn't need that data to know that's what's happening but it's still kinda sad, albeit not surprising. People just have zero attention span nowadays, you can see it every season, they don't even make it through 1-cour worth of episodes before they get distracted, start AOTS threads and focus on the upcoming season. No surprise they don't want anything longer if even 1-cour is too much for them.

In my experience longer shows just have more tools to tell their stories, to flesh out characters, to do everything. You don't need them for every kind of story, but the kind of stories that we often get in anime are more often than not long-term oriented and would especially profit from getting more than 1-cour. You need time to tell epis stories and adventures, for example. 12 episodes aren't an adventure, that's a weekend trip. If it's good, it's just already over before I really start getting into it, and when it's bad even 12 eps are too much.

There is also the fact that spending time with someone will make you grow closer after a while even if you might not have initially liked them all that much. In my experience the amount of time you've spent with a character is an important factor in how much you care about them. I often find myself starting to really care for the characters after 50 or 100 episodes and by the end of it they might be among my favorite characters ever and I'll miss the shit out of them.

1-cour shows never even get to that point. It's much harder for them to make me care remotely as much about the chars when they have so little time to achieve that. When they succeed it's awesome, and arguable the best 1-cour shows are better than the best 100-ep shows because they manage to achieve the same level of immersion and appreciation with so much less time and everything, which is really impressive.

But at the same time these kind of 1-cour shows that feel complete and just hit all the right notes are extremely rare. Usually the best case for 1-cour shows is that they would have been great long-runners but ended in the middle or just at the start of the story and maybe there will be more season in 2-4 years, but maybe not. In any case by that point my hype and immersion will usually have simmered down and might or might not be reignited. If I could just continued on the spot for another 40 eps, I'd have had a blast for sure. So yeah, even if they do get sequels, I'd generally prefer not having to wait years in between.
The ones that really tell a complete story AND are great, are very rare.

So in my experience shows that are 50-100 eps long have the highest average score on my list followed by 25-50 episode shows and then I think 100+ episode shows (those can suffer from slow pace or fillers, but unless the characters are horrible like in Bleach my attachment to the characters still only grows over time and will carry those shows for me even in the worst case scenario (like Naruto fillers or One Piece pacing issues). But aside from that, my average score just gets lower the shorter the anime are. They have less time to impress me, less time to make me care, less time to deliver on what they're building up. Aside from the occasional masterpiece like *insert yuasa anime here* there's mostly downside to having almost everything be that short.

Anything longer than 2-cour will immediately make me interested because I know it will have the time to really get me immersed and not end right when I start getting into it (which is often after 12-25 eps) if it's good. And if it's bad I'm gonna drop it anyway, 12 eps of badness is already too much so whether it's that or 50 eps is irrelevant. But when it's enjoyable, it can really propel a show to the next level if it can continue beyond ep 12 or 13 and actually cash in on all the immersion it created early on, without giving me (in the best case scenario) 1 or 2 years until the sequel during which that immersion dissipates. Even for split cour shows I never watch season 1 before season 2 ends because it's just so much more enjoyable to be able to watch 25 eps at a pace of my choosing, than to watch 12 eps twice and have to wait 3 months in between while all the hype just dissipates.

You stole me the words from the keyboard. Couldn't say it better.

Many single-cour shows can be good, but most of the time they're unable to become really memorable.
Mar 6, 2019 3:27 AM

Jul 2013
1- no

2- there's no reason to change, the format seems to work

3- for me is the one core, following a long series week by week is quite a work to me, sometimes I lose the interest even with the 1/2 core shows because I have to focus on more important things on life and when I have to catch up I end up with no motivation.
I . A M . D E A D !  C O N T I N U E ?

INSERT COIN

Mar 6, 2019 4:20 AM
Oct 2018
I don't have a preference- some series work best as one cour (Paranoia Agent, Lain, Girls Last Tour or Kino no Tabi would be less effective as multi-cour, imo), and some are suited to being longer-running (Monster for eg. Or, you can't squash a long-running manga like One Piece into a single cour).

But I agree that the shift to ONLY single-cour (with a small minority of 2 cour, which will probably fade out even more) sucks. I think the spread in the 90s, when 3 and 4 dour were still common, was better.

It's especially annoying *which* series get made in longer, >2cour runs. It's pretty much limited to kids shows like Doraemon, and stereotypical 'Big 3/4/5' shonen like One Piece or Fairy Tale or Black Clover or whatever's plugged into that slot these days idc. I know they don't make 'Big 3' money, but stuff like Monster, Space Brothers or GitS:SAC etc prove that >2cour seinen can be successful and find an audience, if you bother to make them. (Or even Nana- may be techincally shoju, but appeals to an older audience)

It sucks that no-one makes longer, >2cour series for adult audiences any more.
Mar 6, 2019 4:24 AM

Jan 2015
the golden age of anime is over, it might or might not return
Mar 6, 2019 4:33 AM

Dec 2015
Captiaanuniverse said:
I think two cours may be more of a favourite to some people, particularly in the case of an original story
2 cours is not too long but still gives some time to develop character and setting

As someone who prefers both the ~26eps format and original projects, I support this.
Mar 6, 2019 5:42 AM
Jul 2018
BestBoiEren said:
the golden age of anime is over, it might or might not return

Golden age of outsourcing too.
I doubt we'll see something similar to Batman the animated series. An american cartoon outsourced to Japan's TMS and considered the best Batman adaptation ever.
New Thundercats by Studio 4c failed to become cult like the 80s Thundercats.
Miraculous Ladybug was my only hope for something unique, judging from Toei 2d pilot, but they turned it into CGI by the Korean studio that produced Sonic Boom.
Disney and WB substituted Japanese and Asian studios with cheaper Flash animation.
Even Japanese studios outsource to Asia nowadays.
Mar 6, 2019 8:35 AM

Aug 2017
it depends on my enjoyment of the series. i don't watch episodes as much as some people, only an episode a day at the best of times so it takes me a long time to get through longer series, making 1 cour series preferable. though longer ones do have more time to expand characters and world, etc, so if i like it i prefer it longer. 2 cour seems to be the best length for me though overall
Mar 6, 2019 8:55 AM

Feb 2018
I like one-two cour shows the best, those are usually the best ones, cuz the very long ones contain filler, or adapt shity source material.
Mar 6, 2019 2:55 PM
Nov 2015
Some great shows I love has been only one cour - Death Parade, Mob Psycho S1 and S2, Tokyo Magnitude, Tatami Galaxy to list a few. I do want more 2 cour series though.
Mar 6, 2019 3:26 PM

Sep 2018
Q. Is such a rapid decrease in long running shows surprising to you?

A. Not really, we live in a generation where people have less free time than ever. With work, school, friends, family, and other forms of entertainment and other responsibilities; it's hard for the average person to find time to dedicate to such a long show. For avid anime fans it isn't as much of an issue, but for a casual/average fan having a 1 or 2 cour is just so much more easy and convenient and easier to get into.

Q. Will single-cour continue to dominate, or do you believe something will change?

A. I don't know if it will continue to "dominate" per se, but I do believe it will retain a lot of popularity and that it is here to stay.

Q. What length anime is ideal in your opinion, why?

A. It really depends. I don't think there is an idea length. It really depends on the story. Some manga can be adapted well into a single cour, some may need two, and some more than that. It really depends on the story itself in my opinion. There is no real "ideal length" in my opinion. Although for most anime I feel like 2-cour is usually enough to get most, if not all, of the story across.
Mar 6, 2019 3:48 PM

Oct 2017
I get 1 cour anime whenever i don't have much time and i don't want to bother about the quality of the content itself(normaly they're harem ecchi anime when i pick one),and 2 cour anime is my favorite lenght because you don't need an exaggerated devotion to keep throught the series and you can easily watch another seasons without bother too much, normally 2 cour anime series get a good story telling pace and its easier than 3,4 and 5 cour anime to keep watching through.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Mar 7, 2019 1:53 AM

Feb 2019
Anime is mostly made to sell the source material. Most of the time it is to give you a taste of what the series is so that you'll go out and buy the manga & light novels, If the anime is highly popular and it comes from some long series it can keep going for awhile.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Mar 7, 2019 2:22 AM
May 2018
1) It doesn't surprise me. A long anime is not just hard to watch, it's also hard to make.
Also, sadly, the anime medium is mostly used as advertizing for the original content it's adapting. Why bother making long ads when you can do short ones that work just as well?

2) Now, something needs to be clarified: where are the 5-cours anime in your graphics? It seems they aren't counted, which is why the short animes seem to have such a big share ^^.
Despite what you say, there are still a lot of long anime running. Pokemon, Detective Conan, Dragon Ball, Boruto, Gintama, Fairy Tail, and I only name a few.
Also, what about a long anime divided into short seasons? Do you count it as 5 cour, or a bunch of 1-cour or 2-cour?
For example, Sword Art Online: is this a 5-cour anime, or a bunch or 2-cour? What about Attack on Titan?

Those two points are what makes this graphic so unbalanced. Of course, long anime clearly aren't the majority ; but there are just as much of them today as there was in the '90s, in proportion, so I wouldn't say they are dead ^^.

3) My favourite length is between 40 and 50 episodes. Less than that is not enough for me to be invested in the series, more than that often winds up boring or messed up to me (and is of a lesser quality than shorter anime most of the time).
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Mar 7, 2019 3:02 AM

Aug 2016
It depends on the kind of anime, but I usually prefer 1-2 cour. Long-running animes most of the times decrease in quality and I tend to prefer reading long mangas instead of watching animes that have 100+ episodes

お持ち帰り (/^-^(^ ^*)/ ❤
Mar 7, 2019 3:52 AM

Aug 2015
I prefer atleast a 2 cour season but my favorite is still a 4 cour or more cores one like all the big shounen series

But it's a fact that long running animes have become incredibly few in the last 6-8 years and most of the studios prefer to make a 1 or 2 core at most season rather than a 24+ episodes series which is a shame and sadly this trend will not go away anytime in the future

I am 100% sure that if it was before 2010 then the current big hits like hero academia,attack on titan,nanatsu,OPM and shokugeki would have definitely gotten atleast a 50+ episodes continuous season rather than a 1 or 2 cour one.
Mar 7, 2019 3:56 AM
May 2009
A huge issue with this graph is that it disregards the overall increase in the number of shows tracked and that air each season.

Edit. Clarification: From the 1970s to current time there are about x15 times as much anime titles tracked each season (MAL is not exhaustive in that regard). This should be accounted for as it vastly misrepresents the amount of 2+ cour series that are produced overall.
EisigerhauchMar 7, 2019 4:05 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 1 hour ago

5 by animegamer245 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 31 minutes ago

5 by WatchTillTandava »»
8 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

230 by Coaghim »»
18 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

105 by YeeYeeAss »»
30 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.