Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Jan 30, 2019 7:20 PM

Oct 2016
Chimerared said:
I actually like all the heroes including the Spear Hero, he seems to be genuinely misguided and not malicious, if you look at things from his side he is absolutely in the right. I think that if the princess wasn't whispering in his ear all the time and leading him to believe the lies about the Shield Hero then he would be a pretty decent guy.

This was a good episode and I'm glad Shield Hero won the duel through his cunning, he's never had it easy and had to always rely on roundabout ways to fight rather than brute force and that shines through in this episode.
Motoyasu is a real piece of shit because of how easily he lets Malty manipulate him.
Jan 30, 2019 7:51 PM
Dec 2013
Wow the idiot couldn't even realize that the MP of his party member dropped right after his opponent's hp was reduced

Jan 30, 2019 7:51 PM
Mar 2016
i almost cry at opening of episode 4 how hard shield hero had gone through and he thought raphtalia was gonna take from him and yeah of course nobles are diseases along with the king and princess. But feels so satisfy after sword and bow hero stood up for Naofumi. And the ending was emotional even Raphtalia was no longer slave but she still wants to be his side. And aside from this i think the king is gonna be bad guy just my opinion
Jan 30, 2019 8:01 PM

Apr 2016
I love both Naofumi and Raph.
BRAWLERS
Jan 30, 2019 8:05 PM

Jun 2016
very beutifull episodes, the roller coaster emotion, from want to punching my monitor into almost burst in tears because raphtalia warm heart
Jan 30, 2019 8:16 PM

Oct 2017
sounds just like the Rem and Subaru scene when Rem confesses to Subaru lol. We all know Spear hero is just a dick hole and that bitch holy fuck although I have read the manga but how low can you get it almost sounds so fake. Why the fuck you need to do that to a guy you don't even fucking know, just because he got a shield it just don't fucking make sense unless she originally loves to make ppl suffering. The spear asshole virgin and that whore got me triggered I almost break my keyboard

“It's okay to live, even if there's no greater point to living. -” Konno Yuuki

“God would never put us through all this suffering if he didn't think we could bear it.” -Konno Yuuki

“Life is not a game of luck. If you wanna win, work hard.” – Sora

Jan 30, 2019 8:39 PM

Oct 2015
What a cold episode and frustrating at the that. I thought that gray/black smoke surrounding Naogumi would be a berserk moment for him, I'm really disappointed. The way I was disappointed I didn't even finish the whole episode, as soon as the fist credit was displayed I faded because I was too angry.

I hope other episodes won't become like this one.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 30, 2019 8:45 PM

Sep 2016
JuNex03 said:
Wow the idiot couldn't even realize that the MP of his party member dropped right after his opponent's hp was reduced

And don't forget the 20+ Level difference. Note that Naofumi atm is at Lvl 20(or 21? I forgot), but spearc*ck being lvl 43, still can't beat him 1v1 lmao. Either spearc*ck is REALLY dumb, or Shieldbro is just close to genius.
Jan 30, 2019 8:55 PM

Aug 2012
Jak said:
Chimerared said:
I actually like all the heroes including the Spear Hero, he seems to be genuinely misguided and not malicious, if you look at things from his side he is absolutely in the right. I think that if the princess wasn't whispering in his ear all the time and leading him to believe the lies about the Shield Hero then he would be a pretty decent guy.

This was a good episode and I'm glad Shield Hero won the duel through his cunning, he's never had it easy and had to always rely on roundabout ways to fight rather than brute force and that shines through in this episode.
Motoyasu is a real piece of shit because of how easily he lets Malty manipulate him.
Some people are really thirsty for that pussy!
Jan 30, 2019 8:56 PM
Dec 2013
NothinComplexPls said:
JuNex03 said:

And don't forget the 20+ Level difference. Note that Naofumi atm is at Lvl 20(or 21? I forgot), but spearc*ck being lvl 43, still can't beat him 1v1 lmao. Either spearc*ck is REALLY dumb, or Shieldbro is just close to genius.

The reason for that is, stat wise there really isn't much of a gap between him and the spear shit (flip attack for defense of course).

This is because of the shields he unlocks while doing menial tasks like mining, cultivation, medicine making, crafting, fishing, raising slaves, etc. gives him passive stats that carries over to his main stat without the need of him actually equipping them. This stems to the fact that he started from the bottom and had to do almost everything by himself.

I'm willing to bet the three stooges never did those menial tasks and just went ahead and grinded while raising their strongest weapons.
Jan 30, 2019 8:57 PM

Jul 2009
Kilaldagren said:

I don't hate the Spear Hero like others do. I make an effort to be understanding of the Mentally disabled

BAHAHAHAHA mentally disabled, that killed me. Honestly yes although I despised Motoyasu I grew out of it. He’s mentally disabled for sure, especially later on when—ahem nvm. Yes, he’s mentally challenged for real.

Honestly every character is pretty mentally disabled in this series though. Few can be counted on to think logically. Even Naofumi at times (the level of attitude he has in the LN though xD)
Jan 30, 2019 8:58 PM

Mar 2016
I'm glad I didn't watch this at work, I went totally to rage mode because of the spear hero, I really want him and the princess to die painfully and slowly.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jan 30, 2019 8:59 PM

Jan 2012
woooahhh I hope he kills everyone in that room.
Jan 30, 2019 8:59 PM

Aug 2012
NothinComplexPls said:
JuNex03 said:

Well, Here is the main disadvantage of a spear: If you can defend enough to get close to it it becomes useless regardless of its level. Also the spear hero manages to land just two hits on Naofumi and only one direct. Another problem is the fact that fighting monsters is different from fighting humans. The spear hero had no training in fighting humans.
Jan 30, 2019 9:05 PM
Jan 2019
nightcrawlercyp said:
Jak said:
truer words have not be spoken
Jan 30, 2019 9:21 PM
Aug 2018
Fantastic episode 5/5 loved it

but this shitty kingdom made me ANGRY AF >:(
Jan 30, 2019 9:23 PM
Dec 2013
Kurumelzzz said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

I wouldn't if I were you. You do not know where that's been, or what's been in it and how many.

Jan 30, 2019 9:29 PM

Jan 2012
if this was real life. Naofumi would have became a castle shooter
Jan 30, 2019 9:35 PM

Nov 2010
This ep was bit of emotional rollercoaster, but I love it. The battle was well-excecuted and pretty fun, I love Naofumi's underhanded tactics that he almost won with. I think this also establishes that not only Myne, but the King and everyone in higher standing is pretty corrupted. In other hand the other heroes don't seem as corrupted after this, they simply seem gullible and righteous, what an combo. Less gullible after this ep though.

The ending part or was it more like second half with Raphtalia and Naofumi was very nice. I really liked how Raphtalia seemingly dispelled the curse that was brewing (also that curse part made me think of Madoka Magica, be careful Naofumi to not get your soul gem tainted). Also I like that they addressed some issues with slavery on this one and kinda justifications (aka it's Raphtalia's choice to follow him nevertheless) too.. and it's better without Raphtalia having the slave seal really cause that was part that was iffy to me even if I understand that Naofumi's and Raphtalias relationship isn't like slaves and masters.
Jan 30, 2019 9:44 PM
Jan 2019
That’s fucking so sad for the shield hero
These people a bunch piece of shit
I’m really sure if raghtalia not do something, curse shield will swallow naofumi and he end up kill them all !!!
Jan 30, 2019 9:57 PM
Sep 2016
Raphtalia's evolution: 11/10.
The last isekai anime that I loved this much was No game No life.
Jan 30, 2019 9:57 PM
Dec 2014
Kougeru said:
This show still just feels like it's trying hard to defend slavery. As I said last week, there was no logical reason for him NOT to free her already. This episode tried to make everyone else look like bad guys and Naofumi a good guy but sorry, he's still the real bad guy for wanted to keep her as a slave and for (as he admitted) seeing someone as a "tool" and not a person. Then Malty shows her racist side so she's still getting worse, too. Basically Malty and Naofumi are both terrible but the other heroes don't seem too bad,just ignorant of the truth. But the author still seems to be pushing awful messages like "slavery is okay if the slave says so" and the other stuff from earlier episodes.

I found Motoyasu's Mal account!!
Jan 30, 2019 10:06 PM

Dec 2015
So hard to watch without wanting to smack a b*tch
Jan 30, 2019 10:13 PM

Feb 2017
Why tf am I crying so hard rn
𝘼 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙡 𝙙𝙬𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙨 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙙 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙗𝙤𝙙𝙮
Jan 30, 2019 10:23 PM

Jun 2017
Never have I ever wanted to execute an anime girl by an Anti Aircraft Gun this much. I want to turn that fucking Malty Bitch into minced meat. But anyways. Thanks to Rhaptalia who saved the day. I want to read a manga of this where Naofumi just let the country get destroyed by the waves. I just want to see that country burnt to ash even if it's non-canon. That Spear hero, I don't think he's necessarily evil, but he's a stupid gullible idiot.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jan 30, 2019 10:33 PM
Sep 2018
still, love the scene "clearing the seal" in the manga version tho
Jan 30, 2019 10:33 PM

Aug 2018
Amazing episode, it felt to see Raphtalia sharing how she feels about Naofumi. And god, I don't think any viewer can stand watching this douche spear hero & her "needs to get killed" red head follower, aka Myne. Hoping she doesn't finish the show alive, jeez.

Great thing the bow & sword heroes managed to change - a bit - their thoughts about the Shield hero.
Jan 30, 2019 10:34 PM

Aug 2012
JuNex03 said:
Kurumelzzz said:

I wouldn't if I were you. You do not know where that's been, or what's been in it and how many.

I think you missed the point. The point was not to be so desperate for sex to be controlled by a woman. Also about the spoiler well generally women like that either are skans or have been schooled by whores. And hey what can you expect from a matriarchy. I bet that the calamities were a curse on the king and nobless for not doing their job and the shield hero will be the next king. At least this is how I would write it. Once the ruling class becomes corrupt a new series of calamities occur and one of the four heroes becomes the next king. Probably this time the prophecy felt on the shield hero. But again I am basing this on european fairy tales so I may be wrong.
Jan 30, 2019 11:00 PM

May 2015
Dueling Glove! I'm surprised he didn't slap him with it...

Slavery is legal, but unacceptable...

STARS AND STRIPES!!!

No respect for a duel? Did they state any rules about what is allowed in the duel? If not, anything goes!

Ok that's interference. Duels are always one on one. If someone interferes, the victim should win by default.

Now that's just unfair. Myne was the King's daughter, so all of this was planned!

Demihumans are discriminated against because they grow up by leveling? That's it? So demihumans are not allowed to evolve? That's....racist!

Well at least we know now that Captain Japan will never lose Raphtalia's trust. But what's with that Curse series? Is that a new branch of shields? I wonder what it does. Maybe enemies who attack the cursed shield get a certain debuff or something...
Jan 30, 2019 11:01 PM

Apr 2012
Can we have a fucking crossover where Ainz from Overlord shit on this kingdom and at the same time destroy that shitty spear hero and send that princess to be skinned alive by Demiurge. I'm kinda excited now what will happen to the kingdom since the heroes already know the truth.
Signature removed. Please check your inbox
Jan 30, 2019 11:06 PM
Jan 2019
hifutakiko said:
Thanks for spoiling an on-going adaptation for everyone else, in a reply to someone who specifically asked not to have it spoiled for them too, use your brain before you hit submit.

Not sure how anything in an LN adaptation having anything less than three masterminds behind it is a spoiler. Now if i actually named these masterminds, that'd be a problem :D

Daniel_Naumov said:
He had enough brain to write Faustian properly, yet he did THAT as his closing remark. A true villain amongst the generic uncultured simpletons.

Aw, don't make me blush. I'm just one of your regular viri obscuri
Jan 30, 2019 11:07 PM

Dec 2012
This episode is so damn good but Mob Psycho 100 still my anime of the season

Jan 30, 2019 11:31 PM

Feb 2016
The fucking king and her daughter pissed me off.
Jan 30, 2019 11:42 PM

Feb 2011
"Nobody should be forced to fight!" Ironically, Motoyasu and all the heroes are being forced to fight. They just haven't realized it yet.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Jan 30, 2019 11:43 PM
Jan 2018
i have three major consistency issues with this episode, which are starting to make my interest wane...

first is the spear hero. at times he's just another jerk, working with the princess to embarass naofumi (whatever) but at times he seems like we are supposed to see him as misled but well meaning. he seems to be catching on and having a bit of a crisis, before going right back to blindingly following the princess... you gotta choose one...

second, during the fight naufomi uses that "two headed cerebrus" attack, hold on, i though that he was'nt supposed to have an offesnive capability, that's why he needs to rely on the fucking orphaned slave girl, ya know, the thing making your action not just another generic fantasy fare? no? ok... either he has no offensive capabilities and has to be creative or he does and this is all for show... again, pick one!

and finally, the treatment towards demi humans. everyone seems shocked and appauled by naofumi owning a slave, understandable for the other heroes and for the commonfolk i guess we are to assume that slavery is frowned upon though legal (i can buy that, though it is a bit off) but then they also seem cartoonishly bigoted towards demi humans? considering them beasts as we're constantly hammered with? so why are they so opposed to the (legal) enslavement of one?
again and this is a disturbing underlying theme with this siries, YOU HAVE TO PICK ONE

also minor nag but the whole point where naofumi seems to be loosing his shit and regressing into some sort of demonic possession state was poorly done, i get that raphtalia's encouragement guides him off the edge but it was poorly communicated (as it just seems to not happen suddenly rathar then show us something to symbolize his calming down...

one last minor nag, how did no one catch those orange balloons he snuck into the arena? he was under heavy guard... where did he even get those in such short notice? (that's a nit pick though, not a biggy)
Jan 30, 2019 11:59 PM

Apr 2007
idodo35 said:
i have three major consistency issues with this episode, which are starting to make my interest wane...

first is the spear hero. at times he's just another jerk, working with the princess to embarass naofumi (whatever) but at times he seems like we are supposed to see him as misled but well meaning. he seems to be catching on and having a bit of a crisis, before going right back to blindingly following the princess... you gotta choose one...

He's a womanizing dunce who thinks women can do no wrong. He is being manipulated because that is his weakness. 'misled but well meaning' sortof defines him but he's also idiotic and has a chivalry complex so it takes him far longer to see that he's being manipulated by a women than it would for a normal person to come to that conclusion.

second, during the fight naufomi uses that "two headed cerebrus" attack, hold on, i though that he was'nt supposed to have an offesnive capability, that's why he needs to rely on the fucking orphaned slave girl, ya know, the thing making your action not just another generic fantasy fare? no? ok... either he has no offensive capabilities and has to be creative or he does and this is all for show... again, pick one!

That was after he consumed a cerberus which Raphtalia killed for him. At level one he had no offensive abilities. And even then, how effective is that really going to be as far as killing things go? The other heroes are already twice his level, even with Raphtalias help.

and finally, the treatment towards demi humans. everyone seems shocked and appauled by naofumi owning a slave, understandable for the other heroes and for the commonfolk i guess we are to assume that slavery is frowned upon though legal (i can buy that, though it is a bit off) but then they also seem cartoonishly bigoted towards demi humans? considering them beasts as we're constantly hammered with? so why are they so opposed to the (legal) enslavement of one?
again and this is a disturbing underlying theme with this siries, YOU HAVE TO PICK ONE

It's all an act to make the shield hero look like shit. The nobles can't go against the king so they're not going to call him out on his hypocrisy. And the other heroes are obviously against slavery so that's why Malty convinced the spear hero to duel Naofumi in order to save her. It once again paints Naofumi as the villain and it's what the king and her want. So yes neither the king, the nobles, or the princess are against slavery, but they want Naofumi to once again play the villain for their own satisfaction. The series will eventually explain their motive, just give it time.

one last minor nag, how did no one catch those orange balloons he snuck into the arena? he was under heavy guard... where did he even get those in such short notice? (that's a nit pick though, not a biggy)

I mean he's had them latched onto him throughout the whole series and they're never visible. I doubt they did a pat down on the heroes before letting them into the castle.
KilluanJan 31, 2019 12:05 AM
Jan 31, 2019 12:10 AM

Jul 2012
I think I met the requirements for the Curse Series too while watching this LOL.

If I can give this series one thing, it really knows how to make you hate everyone almost as much as Naofumi hates everyone :P

At least the other heroes pretty much know all the accusations of Naofumi were false now. He's getting more and more people on his side bit by bit.

The whole part with Raphtalia helping him was really nice 😊

This was the best episode so far. I wonder if we'll be meeting his other party member(s) soon. Looking forward to that!
Jan 31, 2019 12:24 AM
Sep 2018
Wow I hate the spear hero! Honestly before this I hated the other 2 hero’s as well, but seeing them believe in Naofumi made me gain respect for them. This episode made me get into the feels, and I see people complain about how the shield hero has been victimized for to many episodes, but this episode show cased how the king is behind it. I see the series really picking up after this, and the adventure just getting started. This is the anime of the year so far hands down!!!! Love it!!!
You don’t have enough hatred
Jan 31, 2019 12:34 AM

Nov 2011
idodo35 said:

also minor nag but the whole point where naofumi seems to be loosing his shit and regressing into some sort of demonic possession state was poorly done, i get that raphtalia's encouragement guides him off the edge but it was poorly communicated (as it just seems to not happen suddenly rathar then show us something to symbolize his calming down...

1. Spear hero is an idiot who thinks with his dick and doesn't think Melty is evil at all.

2. The shield he uses has a special effect, which is a counter attack with a chance to paralyze the attacker. The anime doesn't really explain that that's the case, but it isn't hard to see that Spear hits the shield, and the counter activates. Paying attention to what is happening helps ;)

3. It's called being hypocritical. A common thing for antagonists and assholes. The whole thing was just to make Naofumi look even worse than before. Saying that he would stoop so low to force someone to being in his party when nobody else would, when given the choice to do so , of their own free will.

4. He's had them on him since episode 1. Also nobody is going to think a sane person would willingly go around with monsters biting them.
Jan 31, 2019 12:46 AM
Jan 2018
Killuan said:

He's a womanizing dunce who thinks women can do no wrong. He is being manipulated because that is his weakness. 'misled but well meaning' sortof defines him but he's also idiotic and has a chivalry complex so it takes him far longer to see that he's being manipulated by a women than it would for a normal person to come to that conclusion.

but he seems just as hostile for hostility's sake, he's not disgusted with naofumi because he thinks he's a jerk, he just seems to enjoy kicking him while he's down. this character could be very interesting if he's allowed to actually look conflicted, but instead he just seems like he's putting on a show of not being as bad as the rest...

That was after he consumed a cerberus which Raphtalia killed for him. At level one he had no offensive abilities. And even then, how effective is that really going to be as far as killing things go? The other heroes are already twice his level, even with Raphtalias help.

ok but what i meant that thematically it was more interesting to have a character who can't fight on his own requiring him to be creative, having a direct attack, even a relatively inefficient one kind of beats that purpose...

I mean he's had them latched onto him throughout the whole series and they're never visible. I doubt they did a pat down on the heroes before letting them into the castle.

woul'dnt they though? they all expected him to be a cheat... and how are those things on him at all times? when did he replenish them?

Jan 31, 2019 12:52 AM

Mar 2014
wait so is spear hero also gettin played?
Jan 31, 2019 12:56 AM
Jan 2018
Demyx_IX said:

1. Spear hero is an idiot who thinks with his dick and doesn't think Melty is evil at all.

2. The shield he uses has a special effect, which is a counter attack with a chance to paralyze the attacker. The anime doesn't really explain that that's the case, but it isn't hard to see that Spear hits the shield, and the counter activates. Paying attention to what is happening helps ;)

3. It's called being hypocritical. A common thing for antagonists and assholes. The whole thing was just to make Naofumi look even worse than before. Saying that he would stoop so low to force someone to being in his party when nobody else would, when given the choice to do so , of their own free will.

4. He's had them on him since episode 1. Also nobody is going to think a sane person would willingly go around with monsters biting them.

1.in universe he has no reason to suspect her, we know she's a coniving cunt but she has'nt revealed her true colours aside from being racist (which seems quite common) he seems like he's being built as a fool being tricked by melty for whatever reason, but he's just acting like a jerk regardless...

2. ok so it's a counter, but in the show he activates it himself, we have no indication he needed to be hit for that to work (it looks like he just wanted him to get closer for a cleaner shot, which makes sense) if this is just a counter i guess that's fine (kind of) but still kind of takes away from the interesting idea of him being purely defensive and reliant on others to deal damage

3. that's a lazy excuse "oh they are being inconsistant because they're hypocritical" then why does no one call that out? not even naofumi? like a "you were fine insulting her until it was conveniant to care" or anything would make the inconsistancy make some sense but it goes unacknowledged

4. of course they'd suspect him, if he's been running around with those fuckers for 4 episodes (also they don't always seem to be there) they should be ready for him to cheat...
Jan 31, 2019 1:36 AM
Jan 2019
yall gotta calm your tits and let the story play out. there are a lot more pieces of information to be revealed, especially the reason on why everyone hates shield hero so much.
Jan 31, 2019 1:52 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was an emotional ride of an episode!

Naofumi, the poor Shield Hero, is being discrimated actively against yet again but it was nice to see Raphtalia consoling him and staying by his side, despite the nasty rumours too. Naofumi finally realising her dedication and the whole scene in general was great! Given how the King and the nobles are treating Naofumi, I’m assuming it’s not just him but Shield Heroes in general that they’ve hatred for. I wonder if it has to do with Shield Heroes being awfully supportive of Demi-humans or something of that sort, hope we get to see more of this in the coming episodes! Spear Hero, on the other hand, has completely lost. Naofumi won the battle pretty much fair and square but Myne’s assist proved to be the decisive factor. How cowardly but at least the other two Heroes, finally at long last, stepped in to expose the royals like that, finally some respite for those characters. I personally have an issue with adjusting to the Character of the Spear Hero, Motoyasu, because we mostly get to see this Myne-controlled side of him but there are short moments, on the other hand, where I feel like he’s being misinterpretated or something of the sort. I bet he won’t do a single thing to Myne even after realising the truth, because that’s just how shallow his Character buildup has been throughout these first 4 episodes. Naofumi, at the end of the episode, regaining his sense of taste was very heartwarming to see! Looks like things are looking far more bright for him now! Here’s to hoping the Royals are not up to something devious, especially Myne.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 31, 2019 1:57 AM
Jul 2015
idodo35 said:
Demyx_IX said:

o one

1.in universe he has no reason to suspect her, we know she's a coniving cunt but she has'nt revealed her true colours aside from being racist (which seems quite common) he seems like he's being built as a fool being tricked by melty for whatever reason, but he's just acting like a jerk regardless...

2. ok so it's a counter, but in the show he activates it himself, we have no indication he needed to be hit for that to work (it looks like he just wanted him to get closer for a cleaner shot, which makes sense) if this is just a counter i guess that's fine (kind of) but still kind of takes away from the interesting idea of him being purely defensive and reliant on others to deal damage

3. that's a lazy excuse "oh they are being inconsistant because they're hypocritical" then why does ncall that out? not even naofumi? like a "you were fine insulting her until it was conveniant to care" or anything would make the inconsistancy make some sense but it goes unacknowledged

4. of course they'd suspect him, if he's been running around with those fuckers for 4 episodes (also they don't always seem to be there) they should be ready for him to cheat...

There is a lot going on with the show and its writing. Mostly I'd say that the show has great potential but the execution isn't always that great. And yes it can be inconsistent. There will be spoilerish information in what I am going to write next but I do try to keep it to things that you can guess based on the 4 episodes so far.

The spear hero is easily duped. He just is. Light spoilers but from what I can remember from the manga it has something to do with the circumstances of his life prior to being brought over to this world. Still he is just an idiot. It's a recurring theme with the antagonists in the story. So get used to it....That sounds judgemental, but from what I've read in the manga it doesn't get any better. There are bright spots characterization wise, but for the most part the stupidity will make you want to reach into the screen and choke a bitch....The other three heros just come off as dumb for dumbs sake. Or cruel for cruels sake at different parts of the story moving forward. Motivations do get revealed later, but hell as a reader/watcher ya gotta enjoy the ride ya know? Like me or anyone just saying that things get revealed later doesn't mean that the execution is done well. Media viewers/readers are supposed to have questions. Events in the story are supposed to make you curious, it's supposed to make you want to watch/read on in order to make you want to know more. Not frustrate you.

It will be fully explained later how this came about but there is a prejudice against the Shield hero. From the first episode people had super low expectations of the shield hero. No one else in the kingdom will come to his defence because of that prejudice. For instance, the idea that the Shield hero can only defend despite the fact that he can attack(uhhh spoilers? not only can he counter but he learns some pretty strong offensive magic later on. It just isn't your standard attack magic though) . You aren't wrong that it is an inconsistency. But that inconsistency comes from prejudice. The people of this kingdom are unreliable narrators. Just because they believe that he can't attack doesn't mean that he can't attack. Without getting too spoilery just frame it this way. The prejudice in this world against Demi-Humans and the Shield hero runs about as deep as prejudice against black people in the U.S. pre modern Civil Rights laws. Back then white people had to be bashed across the head to give a black person credit for anything. Black people had to be(and in some circles still have to be) twice as good to get half as much. White people were taught that black people were inferior for a very long time. They believed it because it was convenient for slavery but after a while it moved from a convenient excuse to something that truly believed. Over hundreds of years the lie became truth. So for instance, during slavery black people were supposed to be intellectually inferior, but it was also illegal to teach black people how to read. See the inconsistency? How could black people even learn how to read if they were so intellectually inferior? Why would it need to be illegal to try to teach such inferior people how to read if they really were so stupid? Because they knew on some level that the idea that black people were stupid was a lie and so they needed to manipulate events in order to keep black people as ignorant as possible. Also the more knowledge black people gained the easier it would be for them to either escape or exact revenge upon their oppressors. Naofumi has been caught in a similar trap. He levels up differently than other because he doesn't have a direct attack(or at least he has nothing like one in the beginning). His shield has many applications. It's a pretty nifty device! It is just different, its growth rate and evolution as a weapon is just different. Just like how demi-humans grow and evolve differently than humans. At some point those differences become the basis of a prejudice, which become the basis of the idea that the shield hero is weak/can't attack.

As is pretty evident this episode the princess and king are both power hungry and drunk off their own power. Members of the crowd started murmuring about how they didn't even need to summon the 4th hero, that three would have been enough. And minor spoilers again, but they didn't have to summon all 4 heros at the same time so that complaint is valid. They could have summoned one at a time(or two or three, either way nothing about the hero summoning spell requires that they summon all 4 at once). The crowd is being hypocritical because that is how deep prejudices work. There is no logic it's just cognitive dissidence. The princess and king are simply taking advantage of that. The reasons why the princess and king feel the need to take advantage will be explained later. :P

As for the other three heroes? Fuck your guess is as good as mine. The spear hero is super gullible so he is a lost case. The Sword and Bow are a bit better in that regard, so they were able to easily identify the princesses cheating. But those two will go back in forth throughout the story and even did so during this episode. At first they claimed that the Shield hero couldn't sink any lower in reaction to learning that Raphtalia is his slave. So not only do they not question his guilt when it comes to the rape accusation, they don't take the time to consider the hypocrisy of a king who allows slavery getting upset at anyone owning a slave. They get there by the end of the episode but minor spoiler, the two of them are pretty self absorbed. This sort of thing will happen again with them because they are often more concerned about their own affairs than others.

I have nothing to say about the attached monsters. I think it was just supposed to be a funny call back to earlier events. I guess you could say everyone in the kingdom is content to ignore the shield hero since they think he is a loser? Really if not for the princesses meddling even the spear hero would have left Naofumi alone during the banquet.
mecegirlJan 31, 2019 2:21 AM
Jan 31, 2019 2:03 AM

Sep 2014
now i know why he sees her as a little girl ;-;

H-hi...Nice to meet you~ (o゚▽゚)o /

Jan 31, 2019 2:21 AM

Oct 2018
Good episode overall. Seems like malty/mayne/whatever is manipulating the spear hero. I wouldn't be surprised if he would leave her at some point.
Jan 31, 2019 2:43 AM
Jan 2018
mecegirl said:

There is a lot going on with the show and its writing. Mostly I'd say that the show has great potential but the execution isn't always that great. And yes it can be inconsistent. There will be spoilerish information in what I am going to write next but I do try to keep it to things that you can guess based on the 4 episodes so far.

The spear hero is easily duped. He just is. Light spoilers but from what I can remember from the manga it has something to do with the circumstances of his life prior to being brought over to this world. Still he is just an idiot. It's a recurring theme with the antagonists in the story. So get used to it....That sounds judgemental, but from what I've read in the manga it doesn't get any better. There are bright spots characterization wise, but for the most part the stupidity will make you want to reach into the screen and choke a bitch....The other three heros just come off as dumb for dumbs sake. Or cruel for cruels sake at different parts of the story moving forward. Motivations do get revealed later, but hell as a reader/watcher ya gotta enjoy the ride ya know? Like me or anyone just saying that things get revealed later doesn't mean that the execution is done well. Media viewers/readers are supposed to have questions. Events in the story are supposed to make you curious, it's supposed to make you want to watch/read on in order to make you want to know more. Not frustrate you.

It will be fully explained later how this came about but there is a prejudice against the Shield hero. From the first episode people had super low expectations of the shield hero. No one else in the kingdom will come to his defence because of that prejudice. For instance, the idea that the Shield hero can only defend despite the fact that he can attack(uhhh spoilers? not only can he counter but he learns some pretty strong offensive magic later on. It just isn't your standard attack magic though) . You aren't wrong that it is an inconsistency. But that inconsistency comes from prejudice. The people of this kingdom are unreliable narrators. Just because they believe that he can't attack doesn't mean that he can't attack. Without getting too spoilery just frame it this way. The prejudice in this world against Demi-Humans and the Shield hero runs about as deep as prejudice against black people in the U.S. pre modern Civil Rights laws. Back then white people had to be bashed across the head to give a black person credit for anything. Black people had to be(and in some circles still have to be) twice as good to get half as much. White people were taught that black people were inferior for a very long time. They believed it because it was convenient for slavery but after a while it moved from a convenient excuse to something that truly believed. Over hundreds of years the lie became truth. So for instance, during slavery black people were supposed to be intellectually inferior, but it was also illegal to teach black people how to read. See the inconsistency? How could black people even learn how to read if they were so intellectually inferior? Why would it need to be illegal to try to teach such inferior people how to read if they really were so stupid? Because they knew on some level that the idea that black people were stupid was a lie and so they needed to manipulate events in order to keep black people as ignorant as possible. Also the more knowledge black people gained the easier it would be for them to either escape or exact revenge upon their oppressors. Naofumi has been caught in a similar trap. He levels up differently than other because he doesn't have a direct attack(or at least he has nothing like one in the beginning). His shield has many applications. It's a pretty nifty device! It is just different, its growth rate and evolution as a weapon is just different. Just like how demi-humans grow and evolve differently than humans. At some point those differences become the basis of a prejudice, which become the basis of the idea that the shield hero is weak/can't attack.

As is pretty evident this episode the princess and king are both power hungry and drunk off their own power. Members of the crowd started murmuring about how they didn't even need to summon the 4th hero, that three would have been enough. And minor spoilers again, but they didn't have to summon all 4 heros at the same time so that complaint is valid. They could have summoned one at a time(or two or three, either way nothing about the hero summoning spell requires that they summon all 4 at once). The crowd is being hypocritical because that is how deep prejudices work. There is no logic it's just cognitive dissidence. The princess and king are simply taking advantage of that. The reasons why the princess and king feel the need to take advantage will be explained later. :P

As for the other three heroes? Fuck your guess is as good as mine. The spear hero is super gullible so he is a lost case. The Sword and Bow are a bit better in that regard, so they were able to easily identify the princesses cheating. But those two will go back in forth throughout the story and even did so during this episode. At first they claimed that the Shield hero couldn't sink any lower in reaction to learning that Raphtalia is his slave. So not only do they not question his guilt when it comes to the rape accusation, they don't take the time to consider the hypocrisy of a king who allows slavery getting upset at anyone owning a slave. They get there by the end of the episode but minor spoiler, the two of them are pretty self absorbed. This sort of thing will happen again with them because they are often more concerned about their own affairs than others.

I have nothing to say about the attached monsters. I think it was just supposed to be a funny call back to earlier events. I guess you could say everyone in the kingdom is content to ignore the shield hero since they think he is a loser? Really if not for the princesses meddling even the spear hero would have left Naofumi alone during the banquet.

so basically you're saying the characters keep being inconsistent, the villians are mostache twirling idiots and there are major holes in the lore?
thanks, you just saved my time from watching the rest of this show...

as for the dissonance, naturally there is some dissonance between their views, but they are'nt showing thlem at all, they flip on a dime between their prejudice and being horrified by the LEGAL ENSLAVEMENT OF THE LESSER BEING (by their views) this all sounds like a messy conflict for its own sake thing...

all in all i was drawn in by 2 things, the controversy and a wondering if this is just a "all girls are just mean to me" shpeal (which seems to not be the case, which is nice) and the whole idea of a hero who can't fight for himself.
curiosity sated for the first and the second one being a fucking lie i think i'm done with the naofumi pity party for now...
Jan 31, 2019 3:06 AM
Jul 2015
idodo35 said:

so basically you're saying the characters keep being inconsistent, the villians are mostache twirling idiots and there are major holes in the lore?
thanks, you just saved my time from watching the rest of this show...

as for the dissonance, naturally there is some dissonance between their views, but they are'nt showing thlem at all, they flip on a dime between their prejudice and being horrified by the LEGAL ENSLAVEMENT OF THE LESSER BEING (by their views) this all sounds like a messy conflict for its own sake thing...

all in all i was drawn in by 2 things, the controversy and a wondering if this is just a "all girls are just mean to me" shpeal (which seems to not be the case, which is nice) and the whole idea of a hero who can't fight for himself.
curiosity sated for the first and the second one being a fucking lie i think i'm done with the naofumi pity party for now...

Prejudice creates inconsistencies. That is probably the most realistic part of the writing here. People believe and do stupid and inconsistent shit in the name prejudice. Once more information about the king and princesses circumstances and power hungriness comes out it will become less mustache twirly, but only a little. Also more suitable antagonists appear later in the story. But uhh ya gotta like what you are seeing now to get to that point so. LOL. Personally I'm still in it because I love the way Naofumi's character is developed, but to each their own. It certainly comes across as a pity party with the start being a false rape accusation. But power structures and existing prejudices are the driving force, not women being mean because the matriarchy is out to get cha. It wouldn't matter what the accusation was, since the princess is making it and the accused is the shield hero, Naofumi would be considered guilty regardless.

The three heroes grow very slowly and if I had to guess(because it isn't explicitly stated in the manga) it's a combination of them being young and unaware of real consequences. They are treating things like a video game. At the point I am in in the manga I think the three are starting to understand that shit's real, but that may just be me hoping that no one is that stupid. lol.
Jan 31, 2019 3:17 AM

Jun 2016
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH NAOFUMI AND RAPTHALIA
Pages (14) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2019

242 by SanessyAdversary »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

271 by Der_Body »»
Today, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2019

169 by SanessyAdversary »»
Today, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2019

195 by SanessyAdversary »»
Today, 7:56 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 29, 2019

428 by SanessyAdversary »»
Today, 1:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.