Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 28, 2019 2:01 AM

Jul 2017
I am 18 years old and I started watching Pokemon, Beyblade and Dragon Ball Z when I was three. Although for me, they were called "Cartoons", however I could understand that they were different from Tom and Jerry and Looney Toons. It was only in 2009 when I came across Animax and then I realized that there is something even more beautiful and enjoyable than cartoons..... and it was called Anime. The rest is history.

What's your story?

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 28, 2019 2:08 AM

Aug 2017
My interests on anime began in 2015 when i discovered One Piece.
ItsYaBoiSkanaJan 30, 2019 9:13 AM
Jan 28, 2019 2:15 AM

Dec 2018
I was 10 (or 12 dk) when I saw dbz on tv (it was the Vegeta arc) and think this cartoon looks dope but...my interest was not high enough for me to google the next episodes and way after like I'm 15 that's when I began to know dbz was an "anime" and starts to look for other mainstream ones

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

I wish i could love myself~

Jan 28, 2019 2:24 AM

Nov 2018
pretty much the same, but the most influence came from the big 3, i always enjoy reading manga and a lot of manga got an animation adaption and later i started to understand few japanese culuture that really interesting and a lot of them also make a really good story..

since i love drawing i prefer manga & anime as some of my reference, because the art is really beautiful especially in fantasy genre the world building is just epic.. and now here i am become an illustrator.. doing job what i love
Jan 28, 2019 2:25 AM
May 2016
was a narutard with a bit of bleach on the side growing up, watched some sao while it was airing too, so i was pretty open to the whole idea of anime to start off. a friend recommended me no game no life and that really expanded my whole view on anime. although i have grown to either feel mixed or dislike all of those titles, they're undeniably some of the most important anime to me when it comes to me getting deeper into the medium
Jan 28, 2019 2:28 AM

Oct 2018
I found anime through randomly downloading crunchyroll, because it looked like a fun thing to try out and was advertised quite a bit. After watching a few anime, I found myself hooked and I still have no regrets.

Jan 28, 2019 2:35 AM
Jul 2018
I am 28 years old.
When I was 5-6 years old in Colombia, I watched on tv Dragon ball Z and Saint Seiya that was dope as fuck.

Then in the late 90's we moved to Spain and on Saturday's I watched more Dbz, Captain Tsubasa, then a local tv channel started to air Digimon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Ranma and Yu Yu Hakusho that was on early 2000.

Then High school started we hired a satellite tv channel and started to watch Bobobo, Sonic X and Yugi-oh! But I stopped to watch anime in 2004-5.

In 2016 after I was hospitalized due sclerosis, depression hit me hard and after leaving the hospital my cousin encouraged me to watch some anime to distract myself, started with Naruto, then Slam Dunk, then OreImo, Toradora!, Anohana and so on...

Anime changed my life well sclerosis too but thanks to anime I have some new goals so it's ok, starting to watch it was not a mistake at all.
Jan 28, 2019 2:36 AM
Jul 2018
The were on tv all the time and everyone in school talked about them, so it was hard not to see them. It was almost peer pressure to know what happened in the new episodes lol.
Jan 28, 2019 2:46 AM

Dec 2015
I was watching beyblade on youtube and everyone said "this "anime" is awesome" instead of cartoon. I googled anime and here I am.
Jan 28, 2019 2:52 AM
Mar 2018
I love piano music, and I was subscribed to myuuji. One day I came across this video of his: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdRzphj_-cE

I read the comments and found out that elfen lied is an anime(had to google it) and here I am.
ccbestgirl1411Jan 28, 2019 2:56 AM
Jan 28, 2019 2:55 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
way back when the show first came out, i was told by a family friend that Pokemon was Japanese... then i realized that Digimon had to be as well.. then i figured out that any show that looked similar to that was Japanese

idr when i learned the term anime, but it was probably a while later, maybe even a few years, idk
Jan 28, 2019 3:15 AM
Jul 2018
It was pretty strange....
I never grew up with anything anime at all (not even with Pokemon or Dragon Ball). I never really knew (or have watched) any anime during my childhood. I only knew anime through its character designs as well as a few like the aforementioned two, Doraemon, Yu Gi Oh, Naruto and a few Ghibli movies too.
Before anime, I was also a huge cartoon fan. In every Youtube channel related to animation, many of them made videos relating to anime. So I watched some, and I got to know shows like One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, etc.
Basically, I stumbled upon anime through cartoon/animation Youtube channels.
Also, I'm from the Philippines and the anime fandom is pretty huge in there. Many Filipino friends I know seem to at least have watched one anime. As a Filipino who has never seen a proper anime prior to late 2014 (which is the time when I got to know all these Japanese cartoons), I was quite curious to know why "anime is good," as many of them say it. And so I searched these anime, and soon I was hooked up. Ever since then, I became a huge fan with all this "otaku crap."
removed-userJan 28, 2019 3:19 AM
Jan 28, 2019 3:17 AM

Oct 2018
As a kid I didn't watch anime at all. I hadn't Internet connection back then and anime was rarely aired on TV in my country. Of course such shows as Shaman King or Naruto were but I was never interested in them. I think I kinda didn't understand these shows at all. I enjoyed watching cartoon series as Winx, Totally Spies or Witch instead but nothing more. That time anime fans in my country hated fans of Winx so I thought that anime is a bad thing that makes people too aggressive and unfriendly. That's why I didn't want to start watching it at all until I was like... 14 years old? My best internet friend suddenly started watching Attack on titan and spammed me a lot about all this LEVI IS SO HOT I LOVE HIM SO MUCH stuff, so I definitely wanted to know WHO THIS GUY IS. So I watched Attack on titan, enjoyed it and that's how my anime story began xD In a year another my bestie and I was a big fans of Death Note, the second anime I've watched, and I frequently watch different anime shows since then.
Jan 28, 2019 3:26 AM

Jan 2019
watching Dragonball Z, One Piece, Pokemon, Digimon, Detective Conan and so on in 4th grade, it would run on TV in the afternoon and at 5 AM and thats how i got into Anime basically
Jan 28, 2019 3:51 AM

Nov 2013
From TV since elementary school, but the word 'anime' I know the first time in highscholl from my friend
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jan 28, 2019 4:02 AM

May 2018
Through television at first when I watch Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop. Never a fan of Cowboy Bebop but I do like Rurouni Kenshin and then from there,I try different anime.
Jan 28, 2019 4:23 AM

Dec 2018
At first I was reluctant to watch anime but one day while I was staying over at my friend's home for the night he literally forced me to watch the first episode of naruto. I was totally hooked into it and spent the next few days cracking down all the seasons. This was around 3 years ago and now I call myself an otaku :D
A Happy Ending
Jan 28, 2019 4:31 AM

Apr 2017
I watched Naruto as a kid, although I didn't really differentiate it from other cartoons back then. Then I rediscovered anime on Animax again when I was around 11-12, and at that point I was already differentiating between anime and other cartoons. I never was too much into western cartoons after I got older (sans some exceptions like the Simpsons), but I had a keen interest in that. So I was watching anime on Animax for a while, until I couldn't wait a day until the next episode airs there and I looked it up online. That was the beginning of my anime hobby.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jan 28, 2019 4:32 AM

Jan 2013
I was bored and looking for something to watch on TV, and found Death Note.
Jan 28, 2019 4:46 AM

May 2014
I was always into the Pokemon games and anime, so i just discovered more from there. Naruto is the first anime i watched knowing it was anime.
Jan 28, 2019 4:56 AM

Oct 2013
I known anime through local channels that aired lots of mainstreams and 80-90s classics. Then, naruto came along and it aired too on a local channel. By that time, I learned how to use the internet and I searched naruto on yahoo and watched amvs in YT. Eventually, I came across crunchyroll, which was still a illegal streaming site by that time, I was curious enough to hear what's japanese dub for fun and decided to rewatch the whole thing. I've learned you can read manga in the internet through my friends there. I've began to slowly explore the medium, watch bunch of shounen and stuff, and my list eventually needs to be organized, and MAL is the first site that I came across for that function. And the rest is history.
Jan 28, 2019 5:25 AM

Jan 2017
Through Dragon Ball Z of course. It used to air on Cartoon Network in my native language back then(7-8 years ago). But at that time i didnt know that it was called anime, like you. Then after Android saga it stopped airing, coz i think it was dubbed upto that arc and all those fu**ing shitty cartoons took its place. No Pokemon, no Digimon......everything was gone and my interest in animation too(i watched doraemon regularly though :-P ).

But it was three years ago that i was scrolling down channels on my TV at midnight and i accidently selected cartoon network lol. And surprise! The show was Dragon Ball Z.....Planet Namek Arc.....Gohan and Krillin fighting Frieza, and the Nostalgia got better of me. One episode a day (11-11:30 pm) was not enough. So i took my smartphone and searched sites for downloading DBZ episodes. It took me two whole fu**ing days to find a good site, and my love with anime began. After DBZ, Naruto and Naruto Shippuden, then Code Geass and then finally, i found my guilty pleasure(harem and isekais) in Zero No Tsukaima LOL. It has been a great journey and Anime is my primary entertainment and LOVE!
Jan 28, 2019 5:56 AM

May 2018
When I was younger, don't know exactly how old, there was a only-anime channel on TV called Animax, and I was used to watch Evangelion and Prince of Tennis a lot on it. I think I was 12 y/o. At some point, it became part of the routine.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Jan 28, 2019 5:59 AM

Nov 2015
I have no idea actually, I just remenber suddently knowing (probably just from random browsing on the internet) that the stuff I watched as a kid (yu gi oh, Digimon) and the ghibli movies were all a thing and I liked it and then watching a bunch of reviews, from there I watched my first official Anime (Elfen lied) and then I got addicted.
Jan 28, 2019 6:26 AM

Mar 2012
I found about it through Animax as well, I just came across Animax by chance when I was switching channels and saw a PV of Cardcaptor Sakura, they kept on calling all their content "anime" and that's how I found out about it. It was back in 2005-2006 I think.

I was watching that channel even after finding out about online streaming, too bad they shifted their content online now.
Jan 28, 2019 7:25 AM

Dec 2017
I watched a bunch of magical girl shows when I was about 9 but I only realised it was called anime when I watched mermaid melody on YouTube and I saw the word “anime” pop up a few times in the comments.
And that was the begin of my descent into the beautiful world of anime :)
Jan 28, 2019 7:26 AM

Oct 2017
free-to-air television honeyyyyyy
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Jan 28, 2019 8:29 AM

Jan 2018
One of the first anime series I ever saw was Inazuma Eleven when it was airing on TV while I was at my grandma's house thinking it was some cartoon. Discovered anime when I saw my sister watching Black Butler II. Later when I got my own laptop started watching some random anime series.
Jan 28, 2019 8:31 AM

Dec 2017
I discovered anime from a Buzzfeed video and got curious to know what happened next in the show they were talking about (Kill la Kill)
Jan 28, 2019 8:37 AM

Oct 2014
PurpleStrawberry said:
I discovered anime from a Buzzfeed video and got curious to know what happened next in the show they were talking about (Kill la Kill)
Yikes, what was the video from them about?

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jan 28, 2019 8:41 AM

Dec 2017
Lunilah said:
PurpleStrawberry said:

It was this random video that got recommended to me about people trying anime for the first time and they showed them a part of the first episode.
Jan 28, 2019 8:46 AM

Oct 2014
PurpleStrawberry said:
Lunilah said:

It was this random video that got recommended to me about people trying anime for the first time and they showed them a part of the first episode.
Whew, sounds like a bit much going straight for ecchi.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jan 28, 2019 8:47 AM
Jun 2017
I believe I was around 9 or 10 years old (I’m 16 now) and I had just recently watched the movie Titanic. I was looking for something on YouTube related to My Heart Will Go On and I clicked on this one video with this cartoon in the thumbnail. It was an AMV of Inuyasha. I didn’t really understand it but it intrigued me. I later found another Inuyasha AMV to the piano version of the song, it had subtitles so I looked into this Inuyasha thing. That’s when I got into anime.
Jan 28, 2019 8:48 AM

May 2015
No one's said this yet (edit: person above me did): In middle school, my friend got me into edgy rock music. So later at home I was looking up the songs on YouTube to listen to, which led me to AMVs.

Didn't know what that was, but some of them had wolves and blood and rock music, so I watched a bunch of Wolf's Rain AMVs. Noticed a lot of them had the same scenes and wanted to know what cartoon it was from- found out it was Wolf's Rain, an anime. Watched it and got all my friends into anime this way.

Found out about FMA and Soul Eater after that, and the rest is history.

Jan 28, 2019 8:55 AM

Dec 2017
Lunilah said:
PurpleStrawberry said:

Whew, sounds like a bit much going straight for ecchi.

Tbh it wasn't that bad to me and I actually enjoyed ecchi shows back then. I wonder if I would still like it today :3
Jan 28, 2019 9:44 AM
Feb 2017
I just saw a recommended anime scene on YouTube and clicked it. I wanted to find more about the show so I decided to watch it and that is how it all began.
Jan 28, 2019 9:50 AM

Dec 2018
I was exposed to anime early on as child watching Yu-Gi-Oh! on TV.

However, I never considered it anime until many years later. A friend of mine was finally able to convince me to give this genre a chance. He recommended I start with Sword Art Online. I've now completed SAO and six other shows with no signs of stopping.

Jan 28, 2019 10:08 AM

Dec 2015
i think the roots are in manga. the art style caught my interest when i was like 9 and read sugar sugar rune in the library. a few years later i started to grew up with weeb-ish ppl aka the pullip community (i have no clue where i got to know about the dolls and how exactly i just,, started to collect them) aaand we had meet-ups at literal anime conventions and i was like wow wtf is going on i gotta get more into this world
Jan 28, 2019 10:16 AM

Oct 2018
Some time ago I played a little bit of a ROM image of a DS game called Sora no Otoshimono Forte: Dreamy Season, and later found out about the anime it was based on and decided to check it out, and the rest is history.
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Jan 28, 2019 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
When Death Note hit it big, I don't know how I knew that it was called anime because I was really young but somehow I knew that Death Note was an anime and not a cartoon.
Jan 28, 2019 3:49 PM
Aug 2018
Probably when i was a kid i ised to watch a lot of naruto, although it didn't really pushed me to go into anime. Sao on the other hand was actually the one who pushed me ito anime.
Jan 28, 2019 4:37 PM
May 2018
Any Canada anime fan knows YTV was THE place to watch anime growing up. From there it was just a snowball effect. I used to watch shows on Crunchyroll back in its (not-so) glory days of 240p illegality. Good times! I'm happy to pay for legal, high quality content nowadays though. Hah.
Jan 28, 2019 8:26 PM

May 2009
I was long aware of Japanese cartoons and their distinctive art style (or family thereof), since childhood. I leaned toward liking it, though this meant liking the style of stuff like Gatchaman and GoLion (i.e. Voltron), and being fine with whatever Pokémon did, while I actually don't really like Akira Toriyama's style (i.e. the Dragon Ball franchise) and am kinda meh about Naoko Takeuchi's style (i.e. Sailor Moon).

Over my teenage years, I never really "got into anime" beyond the offerings on western TV, and I also never watched (beyond just a friend showing me stuff) any of the "big three" shounen series (One Piece, Naruto, Bleach), nor any of the other typical "gateway" series (like FMA(B), YYH, Death Note, etc.). At that point, I was indeed aware of anime, but just never really cared for it. On the other hand, though, I played a lot of videogames, a number of which used anime-style art to portray its characters.

Basically, you could say, I grew up with the anime art style, but not anime series themselves.

It was only later when some friends convinced me to watch Evangelion, that I started to check out other shows in the medium, but only on recommendations. I had barely started watching a second show, Noir, when I "accidentally" started watching something called Kiddy Grade on YouTube. And it turned out to be one of the best things ever. A little while later, someone rec'd me both Nanoha and Mai-HiME, and while Mai-HiME turned out to be meh, Nanoha turned out to be quite convincing and to this day I'm a fan of the franchise. After that I started looking up stuff myself, basically.
GlennMagusHarveyJan 28, 2019 8:31 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 28, 2019 8:28 PM

Dec 2018
icelevel said:
Any Canada anime fan knows YTV was THE place to watch anime growing up. From there it was just a snowball effect. I used to watch shows on Crunchyroll back in its (not-so) glory days of 240p illegality. Good times! I'm happy to pay for legal, high quality content nowadays though. Hah.

YEAH YTV FTW! After they stopped showing animes on ytv i moved to crunchyroll
Jan 28, 2019 8:33 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
People being obnoxious about Madoka on an old forum I used. Then there was kids in school who were into super mainstream battle shounen shit I guess, but I never paid much mind to them but I was aware.

I used to say it An-eim back then, lol, because that's how I always read it when they posted shit about it on facebook to each other.

Jan 28, 2019 8:34 PM
Oct 2013
I always knew about anime. The reason that really got me into anime was I was listening to a podcast, and one of the people on there was talking about this new thing he found called Katawa Shoujo. The way he talked about it was like, haha it was odd but it had me interested. After I heard that, I started playing and was really interested in the story and stuff so after beating it, I moved on to the next VN. When I got bored of reading constantly, I think I started with some really mainstream stuff then found out there was like seasons and new episodes weekly and all that.
I don't know what else to add, but I think i'll always remember the person that got me into anime.
Jan 28, 2019 8:36 PM
Sep 2017
I've always watch DBZ and it was amazing, but i din't even know that it was japanese. then when i was 14, my cousin show me this show it was the dopest shit i have ever seen. And that was my first anime "SAO", after i watch a lot of anime i realized that it wasn't that good that it was average. But still I'm glad i watched SAO
Jan 28, 2019 8:45 PM

Apr 2018
Well, since I was a child I watch anime, although the ones I saw never really liked me because I always saw them on TV in very advanced episodes (I saw animes like One Piece, the typical Dragon Ball, Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, Pokemon , etc), but it was not until 2014 (I was 11 years old) that a friend recommended me Shingeki No Kyojin, it seemed so spectacular (although now not so much) that I got completely into the world of anime, I saw the typical famous series in that year as Tokyo Ghoul, sao and then I started to see One Piece. I did not start watching the best animes, but hey, at least thanks to that I knew very good animes
Jan 28, 2019 8:52 PM

May 2015
I moved to and grew up in Japan at an early age, and I was exposed to anime when I was only 3 when Dragon Ball, G Gundam, and Gulliver Boy were airing. There was really nothing for me to watch on Japanese television besides anime since I didn't understand any of it and the colors of anime caught my eye.

However it was not until I watched and completed Slayers (which was around age 7) when I finally became indulged in the medium. School got in the way of course, but I watched whatever anime I could at the time.
Jan 28, 2019 9:30 PM

Jan 2019
From Google plus around 2015, either that or from me and my friends discussing long running shounen back then. Only really got into anime when Naruto manga finished and I needed something new.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

44 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
3 seconds ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

62 by -YaoiBoy- »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 5 hours ago

14 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
3 minutes ago

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - 22 minutes ago

4 by Nemo_Niemand »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 10 hours ago

25 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.