Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

SAO Creator is heavily influenced by Political Correctness in the US that he will make more Strong Female Characters.

Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 23, 2019 6:43 PM
Sep 2017
One of the old interview from 2013 animenewnetwork were questioning him about how he come up with strong girl and this is his response " my subliminal idea or some hidden emotion creates the characters to be strong and capable". This were before the SJW cancer spread in media that we see in our entertainment today. The alicization arc will not be infected because this arc was already written in 2001-2008. Another thing to be added is that he does not project himself in his his own work in this interview-http://j-entonline.com/interviews-and-articles/media-qa-with-reki-kawahara-creator-of-accel-world-and-sword-art-online-by-dennis-a-amith-and-michelle-tymon-j-ent-interviews-and-articles/. He even does Q and A back then in 2005 when he say this "I try my best to look at the characters objectively. (haha) It does seem that getting captivated by your own characters will lead to ruin in various ways!"- https://taptaptaptaptap.net/sao-qna-heathcliff-kunori/#kun . I personally think that Reki is already improved as a writer because of his recent work in progressive light,( written in 2012, when the anime was ongoing).Doing things such as giving his female more spotlight, but still have kirito in the story(duh,he the the main character). You can see in one of the comment that he made in the recent interview that he think he didn't good job but later responded with this comment that if it were him today, what he would write would be more like Sao progressive (which is a good reboot into the first arc). It even having people who dislike Sao loving it.

ApacheSnow69Jan 23, 2019 7:05 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2019 9:35 PM

Feb 2015
I already hate harems as things are... Anyways, unless the goal is to make a better story, why the fuck are you doing it? Adding more strong women to be politically correct is the stupidest reason to add more female characters. Unless it's going to make the story better, which it won't because this is a generic ass harem; which are notoriously bad for writing shit female characters, you shouldn't do it. Instead of pandering to lonely incels and niceguys, now he's going to try and pander to white knights and feminazis and even then it's going to fail. You can't make a series pander towards two complete opposites.

If it's not to make the story better, if doing it will not make the story better, if doing it will make the story worse, if it's to please an ideologically charged minority, don't fucking do it. This author was already a moron for dropping the Aincrad arc so quickly but good lord man. Pandering to increase popularity instead of making a better story...

The last thing SAO needs is more women, like fix the shit you already have before you go get more problems. Not to mention, a fucking harem author is the last person I would come to for social commentary on the roles of women in literature.
YautjaJan 23, 2019 9:42 PM
Jan 23, 2019 11:44 PM

Aug 2017
ALL WAMEN ARE QUEENS !
Jan 24, 2019 12:20 AM
Jan 2018
Yautja said:
I already hate harems as things are... Anyways, unless the goal is to make a better story, why the fuck are you doing it? Adding more strong women to be politically correct is the stupidest reason to add more female characters. Unless it's going to make the story better, which it won't because this is a generic ass harem; which are notoriously bad for writing shit female characters, you shouldn't do it. Instead of pandering to lonely incels and niceguys, now he's going to try and pander to white knights and feminazis and even then it's going to fail. You can't make a series pander towards two complete opposites.

If it's not to make the story better, if doing it will not make the story better, if doing it will make the story worse, if it's to please an ideologically charged minority, don't fucking do it. This author was already a moron for dropping the Aincrad arc so quickly but good lord man. Pandering to increase popularity instead of making a better story...

The last thing SAO needs is more women, like fix the shit you already have before you go get more problems. Not to mention, a fucking harem author is the last person I would come to for social commentary on the roles of women in literature.

Before going on a rant read the other comment first . They literally point out he's still using the same females characters but increaseing their involvement and rethinking how he writes them like slilca or lesbeth . No where does it State he will make a Yuri relationship or change an already made character gay or trans or bi
Jan 24, 2019 12:28 AM
Jan 2018
deathbySNU-SNU said:
"he will make more strong female characters"
more harem yeay!
fuck this shit, another garbage incoming

That's not what he's doing. He's changing how he writes the current female's you know the already background trophys
Jan 24, 2019 1:07 AM
Oct 2012
Yautja said:

You are misunderstanding very badly, in the article he was complaining that he add too much female characters without thinking about a good role for them beforehand ! and he wanted to make them more active and give their characters more depth now !

he never said he wanna add more female character...

Moreover, he already show it in Vol21 !

Aincrad had Asuna then he add Liz and Silica and Yui.
ALO add Suguha
GGO add Sinon
Alicization add Alice

but Vol21 which is the new story he is writing didn't add any new girl ! on the other hand he gave us more info about the "before neglected" girls like Silica and add depth to their characters. while still having action on both side with Silica and gang on 1 place and with the kirito and asuna etc on another place !

btw he is not doing these to please any group like SJW or anything but i already talk about that before in this thread so not gonna repeat.
Jan 24, 2019 1:11 AM

Nov 2017
Gotta say, I can't help but chuckle at the sheer amount of butthurt in this thread, particularly around people who are swearing off SAO forever now. I just can't understand the mindset, no matter your opinion, that surrounds people being so salty over a creator's comment to focus more on strong character development. You know, a thing that, regardless of gender, is so pivotal in any anime, manga, tv show or what have you?

You do you, I guess. But it shows a level of immaturity and dramatics that you might want to take note on. I swear, most of you sound more offended than the 'SJWs.'
Jan 24, 2019 1:37 AM
Jan 2018
aleenya said:
Gotta say, I can't help but chuckle at the sheer amount of butthurt in this thread, particularly around people who are swearing off SAO forever now. I just can't understand the mindset, no matter your opinion, that surrounds people being so salty over a creator's comment to focus more on strong character development. You know, a thing that, regardless of gender, is so pivotal in any anime, manga, tv show or what have you?

You do you, I guess. But it shows a level of immaturity and dramatics that you might want to take note on. I swear, most of you sound more offended than the 'SJWs.'

I don't get what's wrong in rethinking how he sees and writes his female characters now that he says hes going to increase a female characters involment and development like slilca and lesbeth which I maight add Westerners have been complaining for years how they are just trophies .

And it's not like the MC is going to get downplayed

And most people seem to think this is what caused him to stop doing attempted rape plots . Which it isn't last time I checked that scene was last written in 2012/13 LN (2000-2008 web novel version) and wasn't animated till now . Now he's looking past that now.

And he could easily just be misunderstood as in Japan I don't think they give alot of critism so he sought out overseas fans and they mostly likely told him how he writes his female characters. He most likely misunderstood what PC means overseas . It probably means something els in Japan

And people seem to think it will affect anime instantly which is funny because the impact if what he does is do more than increase involvement won't affect it untill like in 6 years . In which any other series can do it first which is a possibility.

And the OP as pretty much took it out of context and quoted there bias view on that matter

Mattinator95Jan 24, 2019 2:22 AM
Jan 24, 2019 2:21 AM
Jan 2018
ExecCute said:
I know, right, san diego-chan?

I'm so fucking SICK of all this political correctness.

So you rather not see the female characters become indepencent and no reliant on the male to save them all the time . Instead keep them as trophys in the background and relie on the hero to save them all the time
Jan 24, 2019 2:42 AM

Oct 2017
More strong female characters who'd rely on Kirito. Nice.
Jan 24, 2019 2:47 AM
Discord Moderator
May 2016
Honestly, it's surprising that this is even being seen as a problem. Do people not see how pointless and useless 99.9% of the female characters are in this series? Asuna started out strong only to become a manual on "how to be a tsundere waifu." Silica and Lisbeth never had personalities to begin with, so no point in mentioning them. Suguha is iffy. He did right by Shino until she had to be put back in her place as harem member #332939 and her dialogue became less about being a pro player and more about being a jealous side girl that craves attention. The development in this anime is severely lacking for every character, that much is obvious, but more-so for the females. They can be taken out of the show completely and it wouldn't change anything. I see that as just...bad writing. I'd be interested in seeing where this takes useless side characters like Lisbeth, Shino, Suguha, Silica, Klein, and Agil.
KookerzJan 24, 2019 2:55 AM
Jan 24, 2019 2:49 AM

Feb 2016
Because a series where Kirito dominates everything and has a harem is "influenced" by Political Corrtectness

MAL are you high or what?
Jan 24, 2019 3:40 AM

Feb 2018
Mattinator95 said:
ExecCute said:
I know, right, san diego-chan?

I'm so fucking SICK of all this political correctness.

So you rather not see the female characters become indepencent and no reliant on the male to save them all the time . Instead keep them as trophys in the background and relie on the hero to save them all the time

Yes, all females are submissive doormats.
Jan 24, 2019 3:43 AM

Dec 2014
Just admit he want harem, stop finding excuses.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Jan 24, 2019 4:19 AM

Jan 2012
At this point, does people even care anymore?
It is very clear that everyone will trash on SAO regardless of anything the creator tries to do.
The hatedom already established that Kirito is a pimp and SAO is an anime that glorifies rape and sexism, and this reputation will never go away EVEN IF THE GUY TRIED TO REWRITE EVERYTHING FROM SCRATCH!
Honestly Reki, just do whatever you want and ignore all the criticism you recieve. These people don't care about you or your work, they just want to mock you, so write only for yourself from now on. Want to give development to the female characters? OK, but do this for yourself only, don't think on the "fans" because at this point it's fair to say that SAO DOES NOT HAVE FANS!
Vini310Jan 24, 2019 4:23 AM
Jan 24, 2019 4:30 AM
Apr 2017
All of you are miserable losers with nothing left to lose. Congrats on being bottom of the barrel. Blah, blah, blah incels. Blah, blah, blah sjws. Blah, blah, blah I don't want to take part in this discussion but I'm gonna reply anyway. You stupid cucks. If only i was altruistic enough to give a fuck about fixing your idiocy.
Jan 24, 2019 6:05 AM
Jan 2018
Vini310 said:
It is very clear that everyone will trash on SAO regardless of anything the creator tries to do.
The hatedom already established that Kirito is a pimp and SAO is an anime that glorifies rape and sexism, and this reputation will never go away EVEN IF THE GUY TRIED TO REWRITE EVERYTHING FROM SCRATCH!
Honestly Reki, just do whatever you want and ignore all the criticism you recieve. These people don't care about you or your work, they just want to mock you, so write only for yourself from now on. Want to give development to the female characters? OK, but do this for yourself only, don't think on the "fans" because at this point it's fair to say that SAO DOES NOT HAVE FANS!

Kookerz32 said:
Honestly, it's surprising that this is even being seen as a problem. Do people not see how pointless and useless 99.9% of the female characters are in this series? Asuna started out strong only to become a manual on "how to be a tsundere waifu." Silica and Lisbeth never had personalities to begin with, so no point in mentioning them. Suguha is iffy. He did right by Shino until she had to be put back in her place as harem member #332939 and her dialogue became less about being a pro player and more about being a jealous side girl that craves attention. The development in this anime is severely lacking for every character, that much is obvious, but more-so for the females. They can be taken out of the show completely and it wouldn't change anything. I see that as just...bad writing. I'd be interested in seeing where this takes useless side characters like Lisbeth, Shino, Suguha, Silica, Klein, and Agil.

He shouldn't just focus on the girls but also build up klien and agil which have been adapted as back drop characters in the anime
Jan 24, 2019 6:10 AM
Sep 2017
I feel bad for anime-only watch who haven't read the source material yet.The adaptation for the source material was horrible cause of A1 picture. People who read the source material already know that Reki give his female character more active role such as progressive. Asuna have a lot of development in the book than her anime counter part which they completely butcher her arc in aincrad and that include the mini subplot in episode 5-6 in Alicization. So yeah, this is nothing new and his writing won't be influenced by the SJW cancer. I wish people actually read the interview completely. The media outlet is the one who caused all this controversy by making a stupid clickbait such as comicbook.com. Reki didn't even mention western version of political correctness in the interview.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2019 6:32 AM

Feb 2016
weeabootakbankai said:
I feel bad for anime-only watch who haven't read the source material yet.The adaptation for the source material was horrible cause of A1 picture. People who read the source material already know that Reki give his female character more active role such as progressive. Asuna have a lot of development in the book than her anime counter part which they completely butcher her arc in aincrad and that include the mini subplot in episode 5-6 in Alicization. So yeah, this is nothing new and his writing won't be influenced by the SJW cancer. I wish people actually read the interview completely. The media outlet is the one who caused all this controversy by making a stupid clickbait such as comicbook.com. Reki didn't even mention western version of political correctness in the interview.
Yes you're completely right, He just said that he wanted to give female characters more spotlight but online articles took it out of context, it's truly sad how people believe everything they read online.
Jan 24, 2019 6:36 AM
Jan 2019
Vini310 said:
lmao thats what im talking about, this shit is getting worse... fucking SAO fangay
Jan 24, 2019 8:23 AM

Mar 2018
I don't really care. Those are his political views.
Jan 24, 2019 9:32 AM

Dec 2016
aleenya said:

Gotta say, I can't help but chuckle at the sheer amount of butthurt in this thread

That's the MAL forums in a nutshell.
Jan 24, 2019 10:29 AM

Dec 2013
I'm here just to express my dislike of Sankakucomplex. You can dislike ANN writers all you want but they at least attempt to stay neutral in their news coverage. That's more than I can say of Sankakucomplex. They sound like a parody of their old selves tbh.

Let's hope this news shakes up a bit those who seem to think Japan exists in some alternate dimension where politics don't affect their works at all.
NthDegreeJan 24, 2019 10:33 AM
Jan 24, 2019 10:38 AM

Jan 2019
people are influenced all the time by a lot of things, so i couldn't care less, its not a great show imo but i enjoy it.

why are people hating on SAO so much? just don't watch it if you dont like it im not sure why you people continue to waste your time on it if you do not enjoy it

i find it quite amusing that all these haters are wasting their time reading news about SAO and commenting about SAO like they got nothing else to do
Jan 24, 2019 10:51 AM
Oct 2012
Vini310 said:

Never in the interview even once Reki Kawahara said or even hint that he is changing his writing to please the haters tho.
He said he became conscious of his flaws after some oversea feedback. so he is trying to grow as a writer and become better so he is focusing on his flaws and making them better.

that's all there is to it. He don't really care to make western people happy, he got his HUGE fanbase and popularity in japan.

but what he care and ALWAYS cared, was to become a better writer. you can find his tweets or afterwords in his novels always being critical of his own work, u can find them as old as 2009 !

And honestly, as a Fan since his old aincrad days even before anime started in 2012. I'm extremely impressed by his improvement. Every time he became better and better the more he write.
from 2001 to 2008 from Aincrad to Alicization all is see is improvements from him.

and then from 2012 to 2018, from Progressive to UR, it's the same. Last vol of Progressive available in English is Vol5, and it's a 9.9/10 from me. nothing less.

Mattinator95 said:

He shouldn't just focus on the girls but also build up klien and agil which have been adapted as back drop characters in the anime

Well he already did with Klein in Ordinal Scale, he had a much bigger role, but not yet too much i guess, I am sure he will do it later too.
Jan 24, 2019 11:08 AM

Dec 2012
When Nakatani remarked that she thinks that the female characters already display a lot of agency, and that there wouldn't be a problem with them as long as the "damsel in distress" parts were removed, Kawahara insisted that when he first started writing Sword Art Online, he had not been keeping such issues in mind. Because of that, the girls around Kirito kept increasing without thought about what role they would play.
From what I can tell, he basically wants to reduce the amount of tentacle rape-bait and start to focus on giving the girls more depth beyond simply being magnetically drawn to Kirito's Excalibur. Sounds like a reasonable upgrade considering how Aincrad & Mother's Rosario have demonstrated how dynamic characters such as Asuna can be when they're not relegated to damsels in distress.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the whole "political correctness" talk. I doubt Reki even understands what those terms mean in the frame of a western perspective. His current obsession with making yuri is a safe gesture of that.
Jan 24, 2019 11:18 AM

Jun 2017
Clickbait headlines aside, people aren't considering the context of this quote. He is talking to an audience of yuri fans and he wants to convince them how much his writing has changed since the 2000s when he wrote SAO (which it has, for the better). All he said is he would write characters who were more than just extras for the MC from now on and that he would like to write a yuri story (not once does he say he would do so in SAO).

I understand how people are mad at this considering goblin slayer, shield hero and even sony's censorship but think about it for a second. None of his current works (Progressive, Accel World and Isolator) are marvel comics tier and Japanese PC culture is a lot different to what we have in the west. But hey, emotions are high and clickbait articles to fuel the "culture war" are hot the past few years.
Signature.
Jan 24, 2019 11:42 AM

Feb 2018
This is definitely popcorn-worthy type of thread, and to add, this is of the SAO variety!

Oh, btw, people do realize this controversy is probably only to garner a more massive audience with his new "changes", right? I doubt he'd suddenly turn to a "SJW" once he stepped out of the great Nippon land.
Jan 24, 2019 12:18 PM

Jun 2008
lmao, the latest episode literally made fun of feminists for being insecure

Jan 24, 2019 1:11 PM

Dec 2017
aybekay said:
ALL WAMEN ARE QUEENS !

RESPECT WAHMEN!

Jan 24, 2019 1:15 PM
Sep 2017
@Dizzee

Lol, this quote will have the western SJW going after Reki head lol.
Jan 24, 2019 2:29 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know but for me Asuna is not treated as "trophy",especially in the progressive series but oh well we'll see how it turns out. Just expect a Yuri scene in the 4th season (and possibly the last story arc of SAO)
Jan 24, 2019 2:54 PM

May 2018
NthDegree said:
You can dislike ANN writers all you want but they at least attempt to stay neutral in their news coverage.

When did that ever happen? Lmao
Jan 24, 2019 3:41 PM

Mar 2017
funny how he says that when all the girls are actually just trophies for Kirito to collect in the show.

I mean, how can they be "strong" when they can't even do anything themselves other than quench the fans' lust
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Jan 24, 2019 4:22 PM
Oct 2012
Vinceennt said:
I don't know but for me Asuna is not treated as "trophy",especially in the progressive series but oh well we'll see how it turns out. Just expect a Yuri scene in the 4th season (and possibly the last story arc of SAO)

He is NOT talking about Asuna and he is NOT talking about progressive. He is also NOT saying he will suddenly add yuri in SAO.

if someone actually care to read the actual interview, First thing he said was how he write the whole SAO from Aincrad to end of Alicization from 2001 to 2008 and how if it was him now, he would write it differently.

Then he say if it was him now, he would write it like SAO Progressive !
So he is satisfied with Progressive himself.
He is mostly talking about Silica and Liz and such a underdeveloped girls. as we saw him focus more on Silica's PoV and her character in Vol 21 he is newly writing.

also, He is not suddenly liking yuri stories, he was always a fan !
he mention it in this interview now, coz he was with Bloom Into You's Mangaka which is a yuri manga.

You can find Reki Kawahara's tweet dating back to 2012 or such where he said he like to write a yuri manga as well.

which is why in this interview he said he always wanted to write it but always failed lol
Jan 24, 2019 5:26 PM

Feb 2017
More girls? Come on, this series already have girl much more than many shojo anime!! (Like 85% of main character). Rito from to love ru only have 15 candidate. Will kirito (who have like 13 girls and the number is growing) surpassing him and become Harem king?
Jan 24, 2019 5:40 PM

Apr 2018
I hate it when stuff like this happens because you really can't discuss it without looking bad. First of all, I want to make it very clear that I have absolutely nothing against strong female characters! What I do have a problem with is adding them for the sake of appealing to the masses. Whenever we have characters like this, they tend to be very soulless. They don't have any personality, backstory or weaknesses. They are just overly powered characters who happen to be females thrown into the mix just to be "le politically correct". It's annoying. Letting your political ideologies slip into your piece of art that has absolutely nothing to do with politics is a huge turn off! Second of all, why? Why do we keep needing to see the message "woman can be strong too!". I'm not saying they can't be, it's just that I ALREADY KNOW THAT!!! I've literally known this since I was a kid. It was only after I turned into a teenager that I realized there are people out there who think woman can't be strong, and to those people I said "you're an idiot". I'm pretty sure the majority of people think like me, so again, I ask, WHY DO WE NEED TO KEEP HAVING THIS MESSAGE SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS?!?!
Jan 24, 2019 8:04 PM
Sep 2017
Spoiling myself what going to happen later on in the series because of me being the person who always like to see what going to happen next. I checked out the main page of Sao wikia and scroll through the light novel sections . There going to be no trace of SJW presence in this arc, because of this arc being old already(2005-2008). So yeah,this arc is going to be okay. Female character having a more active role is already showcase in the release of Sao progressive light novel in 2012 when the anime was ongoing. In the nutshell, he already make the female cast to have a active role except for Silica and lisbeth who have no development. One of his comment in one of the old interview that he did during the web novel period, is that he don't project himself into his character and if he did he response by saying this "I try my best to look at the characters objectively. (haha) It does seem that getting captivated by your own characters will lead to ruin in various ways!"- (*noted, this was in 2005). We don't need to panic :)
Jan 24, 2019 8:19 PM

Oct 2015
If he does that, I will stop watching and reading SAO. Just include more Asuna in the story and that will be more than enough. (Basically the Aincrad arc)
Jan 24, 2019 8:25 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
NthDegree said:
You can dislike ANN writers all you want but they at least attempt to stay neutral in their news coverage

Sure. I'll even give them acknowledgement befitting of their effort.

Sankaku Complex's reporting being a joke doesn't make ANN's reporting any less of a punchline :P

----

I've already stated my thoughts on this in another thread, but yeah, not a fan. I'm not going to jump the gun and write everything yet to come off, but the reasoning and word choice outlined in the article opened up some room for concern in my eyes.
ManabanJan 24, 2019 8:31 PM

Jan 25, 2019 12:26 AM

Jun 2016
The same creator that basically too .hack and made it into a harem tentacle fest?

Okay.
Jan 25, 2019 3:07 AM
Oct 2012
kanthorn said:
More girls? Come on, this series already have girl much more than many shojo anime!! (Like 85% of main character). Rito from to love ru only have 15 candidate. Will kirito (who have like 13 girls and the number is growing) surpassing him and become Harem king?

_Aqua_Sama_ said:
I hate it when stuff like this happens because you really can't discuss it without looking bad. First of all, I want to make it very clear that I have absolutely nothing against strong female characters! What I do have a problem with is adding them for the sake of appealing to the masses. Whenever we have characters like this, they tend to be very soulless. They don't have any personality, backstory or weaknesses. They are just overly powered characters who happen to be females thrown into the mix just to be "le politically correct". It's annoying. Letting your political ideologies slip into your piece of art that has absolutely nothing to do with politics is a huge turn off! Second of all, why? Why do we keep needing to see the message "woman can be strong too!". I'm not saying they can't be, it's just that I ALREADY KNOW THAT!!! I've literally known this since I was a kid. It was only after I turned into a teenager that I realized there are people out there who think woman can't be strong, and to those people I said "you're an idiot". I'm pretty sure the majority of people think like me, so again, I ask, WHY DO WE NEED TO KEEP HAVING THIS MESSAGE SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS?!?!

I already explain it too much in this same topic,
but I just say this again :

Read the interview or at least the "not-so-correct-yet-still-good" article that is from ANN. before jumping the gun like this.

1. He never said he gonna add more girls AT ALL.
2. He never said he want to make the female character's strong !

this whole topic title is also a clickbait or simply wrong coz the OP didn't read carefully.

Reki Kawahara said he want to give his old already in the story female characters, more active time, he want to give them more character and depth!

They are already strong and he himself know it, he never said he want to make them stronger but said he want to make them have some active time and character development for themselves instead of just being there to motivate Kirito to do something.

there is no SJW BS or adding unnecessary OP girl for the sake of saying yeh girls can be strong ! there isn't any "Plus Sized" girl getting added either lol
Jan 25, 2019 3:15 AM
Jul 2018
Pedram said:
Vinceennt said:

He is NOT talking about Asuna and he is NOT talking about progressive. He is also NOT saying he will suddenly add yuri in SAO.

if someone actually care to read the actual interview, First thing he said was how he write the whole SAO from Aincrad to end of Alicization from 2001 to 2008 and how if it was him now, he would write it differently.

Then he say if it was him now, he would write it like SAO Progressive !
So he is satisfied with Progressive himself.
He is mostly talking about Silica and Liz and such a underdeveloped girls. as we saw him focus more on Silica's PoV and her character in Vol 21 he is newly writing.

also, He is not suddenly liking yuri stories, he was always a fan !
he mention it in this interview now, coz he was with Bloom Into You's Mangaka which is a yuri manga.

You can find Reki Kawahara's tweet dating back to 2012 or such where he said he like to write a yuri manga as well.

which is why in this interview he said he always wanted to write it but always failed lol

Oh lol I am sorry. Alright Alright. He's talking about Political Correctness in the interview and also some explanation about the term "hero" and "heroine" and it is gendered used. Well let's see how it turns out and how he will applied it on his series.
Jan 25, 2019 3:55 AM
Jan 2018
Anowser said:
If he does that, I will stop watching and reading SAO. Just include more Asuna in the story and that will be more than enough. (Basically the Aincrad arc)

Basically progressive
Jan 25, 2019 3:56 AM
Jan 2018
kanthorn said:

He didn't say he will add more girls
Jan 25, 2019 4:00 AM
Jan 2018
Pedram said:
Vini310 said:

Never in the interview even once Reki Kawahara said or even hint that he is changing his writing to please the haters tho.
He said he became conscious of his flaws after some oversea feedback. so he is trying to grow as a writer and become better so he is focusing on his flaws and making them better.

that's all there is to it. He don't really care to make western people happy, he got his HUGE fanbase and popularity in japan.

but what he care and ALWAYS cared, was to become a better writer. you can find his tweets or afterwords in his novels always being critical of his own work, u can find them as old as 2009 !

And honestly, as a Fan since his old aincrad days even before anime started in 2012. I'm extremely impressed by his improvement. Every time he became better and better the more he write.
from 2001 to 2008 from Aincrad to Alicization all is see is improvements from him.

and then from 2012 to 2018, from Progressive to UR, it's the same. Last vol of Progressive available in English is Vol5, and it's a 9.9/10 from me. nothing less.

Mattinator95 said:

Well he already did with Klein in Ordinal Scale, he had a much bigger role, but not yet too much i guess, I am sure he will do it later too.
Pedram said:
Vini310 said:

Mattinator95 said:

Hopefully he gets more involment in progressive same as agil instead of showing up to deafeat a boss then disappear and hopefully more in the new arc. But considering as they are adults it might be tricky to juggle
Jan 25, 2019 7:16 AM

May 2015
Don't see why everyone's mad. If you don't like this, just don't watch more of the series. It's not a bad thing that he's actively trying to be less mysogynistic (not for the right reasons, but-).

I never liked SAO anyway so idc

Jan 25, 2019 7:29 AM

Mar 2015
And? Where's the problem with more strong female characters?
Jan 25, 2019 9:16 AM

Dec 2013
Manaban said:
NthDegree said:
You can dislike ANN writers all you want but they at least attempt to stay neutral in their news coverage

Sure. I'll even give them acknowledgement befitting of their effort.

Sankaku Complex's reporting being a joke doesn't make ANN's reporting any less of a punchline :P

Personally I still find even a poor attempt better than none at all.
Jan 25, 2019 9:50 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
NthDegree said:

Personally I still find even a poor attempt better than none at all.

Granted that I kind of group stuff like "cuck" and "incel" under the same banner for what should be obvious reasons, and that we're talking about what I kind of perceive as two major outlets when it comes to ideological panic mongering that pretty much bases itself off of misusing labels to turn them pejorative for the sake of petty jabs at w/e, I will say that I'd call in the mere idea of them putting forth any more effort into neutrality than Sankaku does when it comes to these sorts of things to be up for debate. I kind of feel like they mirror each other too much at the end of the day - even if they head in opposite directions - for me to feel comfortable putting a lot of distance between the two of them. Rancid bullshit is rancid bullshit, no matter what coat of paint they put on it.

God forbid I waste my time running through sensationalist editorials coming from either end for a site I've pretty much learned to avoid completely and another I use pretty much exclusively for its NSFW database just so I can try to make a comparison here, though, so meh.
ManabanJan 25, 2019 9:56 AM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.