Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 15, 2019 6:39 AM

Jul 2015
Never been to one, and currently wouldn't go, but I live in the biggest city in my country so I know there is likely at least one a year. Maybe one day, but like a lot of people have mentioned I'm probably somewhat above the average age of most people there. And I'm a scary looking dude, so I would probably stand out quite a bit.
Jan 15, 2019 11:27 AM
Jul 2018
Never been to one, the closest thing I have been to one was MCM Glasgow and it kinda sucked. There were some cool costumes though. I'll probably go again this year and if it sucks again I will just stop going.
Jan 15, 2019 11:30 AM

Dec 2016
not my thing - would probably feel out of place, plus crowds are a pain and i don't wanna be hanging around serious 'otakus'/weebs.

CallMeHoot said:
I hope to someday, pretty sure England will have one or two knocking about somewhere.

https://animecons.co.uk/events/ list of them here for you bro
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 15, 2019 11:47 AM

Jan 2019
photophobic said:
not my thing - would probably feel out of place, plus crowds are a pain and i don't wanna be hanging around serious 'otakus'/weebs.

CallMeHoot said:
I hope to someday, pretty sure England will have one or two knocking about somewhere.

https://animecons.co.uk/events/ list of them here for you bro

Ah, sick :) Cheers mate.

I'm game for pretty much anything once and I've always fancied having a wander around some form convention. I'd be far less keen to go by meself.
Jan 15, 2019 11:49 AM

Feb 2017
there's a big anime convention in my city that i'd like to go to but i don't wanna go by myself and the admission-buying process is incredibly confusing to me honestly.
other than that specific convention i don't really look into other conventions/anime events or anything like that.
so yeah, never been to one but i'd like to go some day

placeholder text
Jan 16, 2019 1:56 PM

Apr 2010
Back at the day, yes (Twice a year, it wasn't if there was more anyway). But... I didn't go to any for at least 4 years.

Jan 16, 2019 1:59 PM

Jul 2014
EfiChan said:
Back at the day, yes (Twice a year, it wasn't if there was more anyway). But... I didn't go to any for at least 4 years.
I haven’t been to any since 8 years ago. Lol
Jan 16, 2019 2:05 PM

Apr 2010
Speeny said:
EfiChan said:

I think went to my first or second 8 years ago... but what are you trying to say anyway?

Jan 16, 2019 2:09 PM

Feb 2010
I've been going to the biggest local con in my city every summer since, idk, 2010 or 2011. Mostly as part of the volunteer staff which gives me free entry and free food (but no salary ofc) and fairly flexible work hours. What I do is mostly just to hang around or work at the bar (my job), soak in the atmosphere, get pictures of the best cosplays I see, grab some bargains in the merchant room and Bring & Buy (why would you buy overpriced stuff?) and maybe check out 1 or 2 events/presentations/screenings if something interests me. Like a few years ago they prescreened the Final Fantasy XV Movie there which was cool.

Also I'll often meet some old friends there who I don't see that often anymore so that's nice. Most of my anime posters are from those conventions as well and I also buy some DVDs every year either by haggling with the merchants or buying them used. Also sold some of my old manga there before. It's definitely an enjoyable experience that I look forwad to each year. Never else can you be entirely among nerds with a similar interest, it just feels nice.

Tho I'm generally someone who values my alone time and privacy so I wouldn't need it much more than that 1 weekend per year. Maybe one or two more times spread out over the year, but I'd pass on going any more frequently than that. But while the one I'm going to is pretty big it is the only real anime-dedicated convention in my area. There are some others but they are all either less specific (comic con) or more specific (specific cosplay conventions) so they don't interest me as much compared to ones that are about anime in general.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 16, 2019 2:15 PM

Jul 2014
EfiChan said:
Speeny said:

I think went to my first or second 8 years ago... but what are you trying to say anyway?
Just saying it’s been a long time for me.
Jan 16, 2019 2:48 PM

Aug 2010
fuck no.
why would i want to be surrounded by smelly nerds :P

outside of that, most conventions have nothing to offer me. I dont buy trinkets, collectibles or any other kind of junk which is mainly the reason these conventions exist. Im not interested in conversations with self proclaimed otakus or weebs.
Usually the panels are just by random people with topics such as ''anime you should watch.'' Why should i listen to a random scrub with no credentials for an hour tell me about his favorite shows!??
I dont cosplay, nor do i want too. And theres always a bunch of people that are usually there just to show off their costumes which are sometimes nice, but there are too many self proclaimed models hanging around just to increase their follower count on social media. If you worked hard on your cosplay, all the power to you. If you just slap on a crappy ''Bikini Yoko Litner'' costume and flash your tits around, you are lame. I like tits, but you are talentlentless and distracting from others who worked hard or are just crazy nerdy about cosplay
ComboSmoothJan 17, 2019 6:44 AM
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jan 16, 2019 2:51 PM

Jul 2014
ComboSmooth said:
fuck no.
why would i want to be surround by smelly nerds :P

outside of that, most conventions have nothing to offer me. I dont buy trinkets, collectibles or any other kind of junk which is mainly the reason these conventions exist. Im not interested in conversations with self proclaimed otakus or weebs.
Usually the panels are just by random people with topics such as ''anime you should watch.'' Why should i listen to a random scrub with no credentials for an hour tell me about his favorite shows!??
I dont cosplay, nor do i want too. And theres always a bunch of people that are usually there just to show off their costumes which are sometimes nice, but are there are too many self proclaimed models hanging around just to increase their follower count on social media.
Very true. Great points. Especially what you said about social media.
Jan 17, 2019 12:30 AM

Jan 2019
I honestly just like finding random discords for Cons and read literally everything.

I'm a weirdo.
Jan 17, 2019 2:58 AM

Nov 2009
When I lived in Texas, I would go to as many as five in a year. Since I live in Washington now, though, there is only one major convention in the area so I just attend that one annually (Sakura-Con). My goal is to start attending Anime Expo annually, though. I plan to start next year, but if the musical guests are as good as last year, I may try to squeeze it in this year.

Usually I spend most of my time shopping (I buy a lot of figures, mostly), but I always attend the AMV contest, as well as at least one or two panels (preferably on creative or factual-based topics). The concert depends on who is performing. I cosplay some years, but usually it's too much of a bother: wigs are either falling off or giving me a headache, parts of the costume need taped on and hurts to remove, and I have to be conscious of people looking up my skirt on escalators (although generally everyone has been respectful). There are a few characters I'd really like to cosplay someday, though, and I'd say it's been worth it to cosplay for at least one day of the con.

As long as I arrive early and bring entertainment (usually my 3DS for StreetPass and a book), the lines are pretty bearable.

Conventions are some of my favorite things, and I look forward to them all year.
Jan 17, 2019 3:24 AM

Apr 2016
there's literally nothing to do besides standing still without anything to do
Jan 17, 2019 3:30 AM

Jul 2014
Akhdas said:
there's literally nothing to do besides standing still without anything to do
Sit down and watch people speak at one of the panels. Lol
Jan 17, 2019 6:35 AM
Nov 2018
I'd like to attend them often but haven't because there isn't much in my area.
Jan 17, 2019 8:22 AM

Nov 2018
I just make it go to only one once a year. But that's enough.
Jan 17, 2019 8:40 AM

May 2016
Unfortunately no. Last year I went to only two, one being very local, and the other not too far away either. I want to go to more, but lack the people who want to go with me. My goal this year is to go to Anime Expo, a local convention, and maybe a few other bigger conventions.
Jan 17, 2019 8:49 AM

Aug 2016
Ive attended only 2 in my whole life, and both of them where because of college. Didnt buy anything. Anime here is popular. To be fair, I dont remember them being wierd. I wouldnt go again unless some friend tells me to but most of my friends are not into anim. But thats fine.
:v
Jan 17, 2019 8:53 AM
Isekai Trash

Mar 2016
I have a few local ones near me but they’re very small and intimate and when I think about participating my anxiety shoots through the roof. Wouldn’t mind going to a larger one eventually tho
Jan 17, 2019 8:58 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Once a year in a city I live near at. Our country only big Anime convention pretty much.
Jan 17, 2019 9:08 AM

Feb 2015
Speeny said:
I've only attended one back in 2011. SMASH! Anime & Manga Show. It's basically one held here in Australia. It reels in a decent amount of people. But Anime isn't as popular over here in Australia than it is in the states specifically.

The only thing I bought at the convention was "Air TV." Great series. One of my first purchases of Anime on DVD. (Overpriced though.)

We do have Supanova too which is a whole lot more popular I'd say.

I LOVED Air!!! I enjoyed the movie too but the series was so good.

I've never been to a convention before though but I would love to go to one. unfortunately the admission cost is usually too much for me, plus the fact that I would want a great cosplay and that costs money too... :-(
Jan 17, 2019 10:02 AM

Aug 2012
Anime and Manga community grew up in the last 20 years on Brazil, so I´ve attended a lot of them from 2002 to 2012, mostly. Those were a blast, I even went to the best state for such events twice. But since 2013, the cons started to lost their focus, putting random youtubers, gamers, pirated merchandise... So no more for me. They suck.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Jan 17, 2019 10:05 AM

Aug 2017
i go to one in London every year, it's really fun and the one of the few exciting things i look forward to ><
Jan 17, 2019 12:17 PM

Oct 2014
I go to Anime Expo most of the time. It's fun and there's countless stuff to do. Going to panels and events, seeing all the awesome cosplay, looking at and buying a shit ton of merch, meeting other fans. Only downside is that it's crazy crowded as AX always is. I was thinking of volunteering this year to get a badge.
Jan 17, 2019 2:23 PM

Mar 2018
Nope. Honestly Seem pretty cringy tbh.
Jan 17, 2019 2:45 PM

May 2009
I missed a couple small ones that were local to my area, last year.

I should try to attend them this year.

I think they're nicer than the big ones (which often cost a lot to attend, also for parking) if you can get to know them well.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 17, 2019 2:49 PM

Oct 2017
I used to when I was a kid/pre-teen, they were very frequent in my town and pretty cheap. they were mostly aimed at contests so there were cosplay contests, variety shows, anime-related talent shows (like singing an op or impersonating a character, which was not required in the cosplay contest) and gaming competitions, both arcade and consoles. writing this it made me feel like I'm overselling it as something wide and fancy but it was pretty all over the place lol it was charming. now they still happen but they are way less frequent and way more expensive - obviously - and they're more aimed at merch selling and online gaming
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Jan 17, 2019 3:07 PM

Jul 2015
never been to one and not interested

Well...
Jan 17, 2019 6:47 PM

Mar 2017
Not yet. I was thinking about going to one though.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Jan 17, 2019 10:12 PM

Aug 2011
ive been only into one once and the entrance was free back in 2011
it was sponsored by Animax and personally, there's nothing much to see unless i have something i'm looking for

i.e. if there's shops i want to visit and buy merchs that aren't readily available

as long as i have a reason to go to a convention like visiting particular booth, then there's no point in going for me

its the same with gaming convention
if i want to see a fighting game tournament i want to join in and/or watch,
or i want to see the new trailers/updates from video game companies/game devs/director that are near my area, then i will go

unfortunately my country's anime/gaming conventions doesn't offer much interest and reason for me to go
Jan 17, 2019 10:20 PM

Feb 2015
I've been to one. I didn't do much cause I was broke.
Insert Text Here
Jan 24, 2019 3:41 AM

May 2016
Probably in 2020 or 2021 cus i need some time to pay my anime home friends
Jan 24, 2019 4:00 AM

Mar 2011
I've been to only two conventions and it was years ago. Now I'm not interested in them at all.
Jan 24, 2019 4:00 AM

Sep 2017
Yeah, I live in Ohio though which is pretty much non-existent so there isn't much. I plan on going to some with 3-5 of my friends or so since we're all massive weebs.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 24, 2019 4:36 AM

Apr 2015
Most otaku events around here are known to be pretty shite, so I tried once or twice and then just gave up.

Though there's a new one that started last year, heard it was fairly decent and had lots of seiyuus so maybe next time.
Oct 16, 2019 4:05 AM

May 2015
Actually did today and the event was called Con Alt Delete back in December of 2018 and Anime Midwest last July 2019. Both were awesome and am planning to attend Con Alt Delete again this December. can't wait for it! Hopefully I can save as much so I can hopefully do cosplays too!

Oct 16, 2019 6:31 AM

Apr 2015
I've been attending AX for the past five years. It's a ton of fun and there is a ton of things to do. However, the attendance has just skyrocketed and it feels a bit too much. Often, in the main hallways and, especially Artist Alley you feel like a pack of sardines. I do wish they'd either cap attendees (doubtful) or offer better benefits to entice more volunteers.

I rather like the more personal and less crowded experiences in smaller sized conventions, so I'll be trying to attend more of those.
Oct 16, 2019 6:49 AM
Sep 2019
Yeah, I do. It's loads of fun. I've already been to four this year, including Anime Midwest and AnimeZAP. I'm looking to finish the year off with Con+Alt+Delete in December. If you can make your way to Chicago, you should totally go!
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Nov 1, 2019 6:44 AM

May 2015
rommelcedric said:
Yeah, I do. It's loads of fun. I've already been to four this year, including Anime Midwest and AnimeZAP. I'm looking to finish the year off with Con+Alt+Delete in December. If you can make your way to Chicago, you should totally go!

Oh wow! You go to Anime Midwest and Zap too? I've been attending since like 2013! They were my favorites! All so because of that unique ConSweet they have were there is unlimited ramen! Yum ^_^

Nov 1, 2019 6:46 AM

Dec 2015
I've been to MCM a couple of times but thats about it. But if you want to go the entire weekend it gets quite expensive.

Nov 1, 2019 6:49 AM

Oct 2019
I've never been to one. There were lots that were just a few miles away but I never went. I just stayed home and watched anime.
Nov 1, 2019 6:52 AM

Oct 2018
I have gone to one so far and now plan to attend it yearly in my city. It is a really fun experience. Just being able to be around people who love anime just as much as you do is a great time.
Nov 1, 2019 11:22 AM
Jul 2018
i've given up on it, after a few tries i discovered i can't handle the body odour of thousand of degenerates massed together in one place without passing out.
Nov 1, 2019 11:37 AM

Dec 2012
I have been to one but didn't see the appeal. Sure they had vendors and viewing rooms that was cool, but I can just as easily buy and watch anime here without having to drive two and half hours and minus the unwashed masses. I hate crowds and lines.
KruszerNov 1, 2019 11:44 AM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 1, 2019 2:49 PM
Jul 2018
Yup, they're the only place I feel I belong, I'll be going to Anime NYC in two weeks. :D
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » should characters be smart or mature for you to enjoy them?

deg - 3 hours ago

8 by Nirinbo »»
8 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 3 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

126 by kjplethodon »»
10 minutes ago

» Are you involved in any fandom activity?

RobertBobert - May 10

39 by piroriparopirira »»
10 minutes ago

» Does Non-Japanese Artist Song count as Anime OP/ED?

Dragevard - Yesterday

21 by Nirinbo »»
16 minutes ago

» Your biggest why …?

Yonahim_Zz - 16 minutes ago

0 by Yonahim_Zz »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.