Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 14, 2019 2:49 PM

Jul 2014
I've only attended one back in 2011. SMASH! Anime & Manga Show. It's basically one held here in Australia. It reels in a decent amount of people. But Anime isn't as popular over here in Australia than it is in the states specifically.

The only thing I bought at the convention was "Air TV." Great series. One of my first purchases of Anime on DVD. (Overpriced though.)

We do have Supanova too which is a whole lot more popular I'd say.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 14, 2019 2:53 PM

Jan 2013
Never attended one. Anime culture in my country aint big so there has never one but i still wouldn't go cuz i wouldn't fit.
Jan 14, 2019 2:54 PM
Feb 2017
Never attended one, but it would be a unique experience if one is ever around i would possibly check it out.
Jan 14, 2019 2:57 PM

Jul 2014
Klad said:
Never attended one. Anime culture in my country aint big so there has never one but i still wouldn't go cuz i wouldn't fit.

It's not for everybody. I think a lot of people are friendly and much more approachable at those conventions. From my experience at least. :)
Jan 14, 2019 3:03 PM

Jan 2019
I hope to someday, pretty sure England will have one or two knocking about somewhere.

And although I've never cosplay'd in my life I'd love to go as Roy Mustang and have my girlfriend go as Riza Hawkeye. Gotta find that girlfriend first, though. The previous one hated dressing up and would never have been down for a convention. I'll not make that mistake again.
Jan 14, 2019 3:06 PM
Jul 2018
I'd say once a year or so I go to these types of things, never been to one for anime specifically but they have games/anime/comics and stuff like that all together.

Usually pretty fun, you gotta be a bit careful with some vendors though. A lot of stuff is actually priced really terribly. Most of the time if something is more than 20$ and you're not sure what an average price is the safest bet is to go look it up on your phone quickly. When I go conventions I basically just buy stuff that I know what a fair market price is for, or if I'm not sure and something is really tempting and under 5-10$~ I'll just get it.

It depends on the quality/scale of the event but sometimes the artist sections have some really talented people as well.
Jan 14, 2019 3:07 PM

Jan 2018
Never been, but I'd like to. Like someone else said, I feel like I wouldn't fit in. I imagine it's all kids, and I'd feel out of place and look like I was someone's parent. Wouldn't be able to go properly crazy as I'd want.
Jan 14, 2019 3:07 PM

Feb 2018
To attend a big one I would have to fly to anyother country, but I really want to do it some day.
Jan 14, 2019 3:18 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I'd say about twice per year. So not all that often, no.
Jan 14, 2019 3:18 PM

Oct 2013
In my country, we held few big conventions every year and sadly, I only get to attend once in a while due to my schedule and the taxing long distance from home to the place it's always held at.
Jan 14, 2019 3:20 PM

Jul 2014
xMx16 said:
I'd say once a year or so I go to these types of things, never been to one for anime specifically but they have games/anime/comics and stuff like that all together.

Usually pretty fun, you gotta be a bit careful with some vendors though. A lot of stuff is actually priced really terribly. Most of the time if something is more than 20$ and you're not sure what an average price is the safest bet is to go look it up on your phone quickly. When I go conventions I basically just buy stuff that I know what a fair market price is for, or if I'm not sure and something is really tempting and under 5-10$~ I'll just get it.

It depends on the quality/scale of the event but sometimes the artist sections have some really talented people as well.
Yeah a lot of stuff at conventions are really overpriced. Sometimes you might pick up some figures for a reasonable dollar but I know with DVD's & Blu-rays...WAY overpriced.
Jan 14, 2019 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
Speeny said:
Yeah a lot of stuff at conventions are really overpriced. Sometimes you might pick up some figures for a reasonable dollar but I know with DVD's & Blu-rays...WAY overpriced.

Yeah. I don't think I've ever gotten a DVD/bluray at a convention :P Got a really nice figure once though, for a very good price.
Jan 14, 2019 3:32 PM
Aug 2018
I want to go to one this year to hopefully acquire some rare anime box sets; buying knowing I'm not getting a good deal, but getting stuff I've been looking for for a while unsuccessfully.
Jan 14, 2019 3:36 PM

Oct 2015
Never been to one. Planning on going to my first this year though (Anime Expo).
Jan 14, 2019 3:45 PM

May 2015
Just once a year for four years. Skipped last year because 2018 was he'll for me. I hope I can make it this year...
Jan 14, 2019 3:46 PM

Jul 2014
CassieXKR said:
I want to go to one this year to hopefully acquire some rare anime box sets; buying knowing I'm not getting a good deal, but getting stuff I've been looking for for a while unsuccessfully.
Yeah! Sometimes you do find out of print titles. I know some of the prices will be better than from what people list on Ebay. Lol.
Jan 14, 2019 3:46 PM

Jul 2014
Tarotist said:
Just once a year for four years. Skipped last year because 2018 was he'll for me. I hope I can make it this year...
Best of luck my friend. MAL is with you.
Jan 14, 2019 3:47 PM

Jul 2014
Ataccot said:
Never been to one. Planning on going to my first this year though (Anime Expo).
I will attend Anime Expo once in my lifetime, that's for sure.
Jan 14, 2019 3:52 PM

Oct 2018
Once a year cuz I need merch plus going with friends and looking and doujins are fun lol.

Also, the Good Smile Company usually goes to the one I go to so it gets easier to just get figurines that way instead of searching the internet.

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Jan 14, 2019 3:56 PM
Aug 2018
Speeny said:
CassieXKR said:
Yeah! Sometimes you do find out of print titles. I know some of the prices will be better than from what people list on Ebay. Lol.

Yup, I am looking for like the Animesols sets of Oniisama e, the first two Madoka limited edition movies and some other stuff on a list. I constantly watch eBay but sometimes just stuff doesn't come up.
Jan 14, 2019 3:56 PM

Mar 2018
There is always a convention here each year. Most of the time I go to buy figures (or look around) but that's about it. It's fine, it gets a little better/bigger each year.
Jan 14, 2019 4:04 PM

May 2014
I'd like to go to one at least once, but i've never been to one yet.
Jan 14, 2019 9:50 PM

Jul 2017
never attended one unfortunately because of distance
Ill certainly attend one someday when I visit california with my friends
Jan 14, 2019 10:08 PM

Sep 2018
I'd like to to go to one but anime isn't a big thing...like not a thing at all... where I live so I guess I'll have to go elsewhere. I'd love to go to one in nipon.
Jan 14, 2019 10:36 PM
Jan 2019
Conventions are for normies who aren't in for the anime but sheer eventism.
Jan 14, 2019 11:03 PM
May 2016
i've never been to one, not interested in going either. large crowds of people are awful for me
Jan 14, 2019 11:07 PM

Apr 2016
Haven't attended one before even though I'm near a big city. I'd like too though, but being in college makes it a bit harder for it to be feasible.
Jan 14, 2019 11:14 PM
Jul 2018
Never been to one and never will be..
Jan 14, 2019 11:21 PM
Jul 2018
I would love to attend an anime convention atleast once. But anime isn't that big in my country. Maybe if I ever went to Japan I'll attend one.
Jan 14, 2019 11:21 PM

Jan 2013
Nope since there aren't any where I live, or at least I don't think there are?
There's a Pokemon festival every year, but that's somewhat different.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 14, 2019 11:30 PM
Jan 2015
Haven't yet, but wouldn't mind going to one if it was relatively close by.
My Queens

Jan 14, 2019 11:35 PM

Feb 2015
Only been to one... I live in California right now so we got some of the biggest conventions down here...

But I haven't really gotten around to going to any since I don't have any weeb friends and it's pretty depressing going to look at cute anime girl figures by yourself like a sack of shit
Jan 14, 2019 11:39 PM

Dec 2016
I have never gone to one, probably never will, not my thing
Jan 14, 2019 11:42 PM

Sep 2011
Never tried. Either it's too far away or I simply just don't have time.

Jan 14, 2019 11:48 PM

Aug 2014
crypticecliptic said:
Never been, but I'd like to. Like someone else said, I feel like I wouldn't fit in. I imagine it's all kids, and I'd feel out of place and look like I was someone's parent. Wouldn't be able to go properly crazy as I'd want.
I can't think of a more heterogenous place than a convention. Anyone and their mom would fit in.
Jan 14, 2019 11:54 PM
Apr 2018
Never been, I wouldn't fit in. I couldn't stand that much noise. Definitely not my thing.
Jan 15, 2019 12:13 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i started going in 2010.. since then i've been to around 30

im no longer going to our biggest one

hopefully the learn the meaning of:

cause last year seemed to indicate thats what was happening
Jan 15, 2019 12:25 AM

Jul 2014
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

Wow, 30 is a pretty significant number of times. I know they do maid styled cafes at some here. It's cringe but kind of cool at the same time. Lol
Jan 15, 2019 12:55 AM

May 2018
I've attended Kumoricon last October and Comi-Con almost seven years ago (It's not fully an anime convention, but there's still plenty of anime related things in it so I'm counting it). I'm hoping to go to Kumoricon this year as well, so I suppose I'm gonna be going to an anime convention once a year from now on.
Jan 15, 2019 1:03 AM

Nov 2010
I go to one every year, it's biggest one in my country (bit over 5k people) and sells out quite quickly, you really need to be ready to buy the tickets ^^; Overall I think anime conventions are really popular in my country, but they might be bit different than in USA cause they are non-profit and kept by fans?

Some years I have visited others too, but I usually don't have enough time to make cosplays and money to travel and buy stuff so one a year has been good pace for me.

Conventions are one of my fav things to visits though, the athmosphere is great. You see tons of cosplays, there is anime concerts, panels and other fun stuff, tons of stuff to see and buy. And well anime circles are probably most accepting circles around in my country at least which is nice.
Jan 15, 2019 1:23 AM

Aug 2015
There was this one time, at a con, that I was going to get lewd pics of cosplayers because they're pretty hot right. So I got some pictures and had a look before I went to bed. After going through my photos I noticed this upskirt one where there was a slight bulge, and that was the cutest cosplay ever!

Never again...
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Jan 15, 2019 1:27 AM

Apr 2012
Only once and it's not my thing. Don't want again.
にゃす!
Jan 15, 2019 2:31 AM

Jul 2014
NoobAsian said:
There was this one time, at a con, that I was going to get lewd pics of cosplayers because they're pretty hot right. So I got some pictures and had a look before I went to bed. After going through my photos I noticed this upskirt one where there was a slight bulge, and that was the cutest cosplay ever!

Never again...
Hahaha. Yeah man. Gotta watch out. Doesn’t surprise me tbh.
Jan 15, 2019 3:18 AM

Mar 2018
I've attended a lot of comic cons in the UK, some of which have had a small anime presence, but I've not been to one here that's purely devoted to anime/manga.

I went to C94 back in August, that was a hell of an experience (burned through something like £700 in two days too) and that kind of puts me off going to a UK based anime con now, I know that they're not going to favourably compare in my mind, meaning even if the show itself is really good there'll always be a part of me thinking "this is no comiket".
Jan 15, 2019 3:24 AM

Jun 2017
Never attended one. Anime isn't that popular in my country
Jan 15, 2019 4:32 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Speeny said:
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

Wow, 30 is a pretty significant number of times. I know they do maid styled cafes at some here. It's cringe but kind of cool at the same time. Lol

The cringe is part of what makes us unique lol

But our biggest con banned erotic merchandise to make it more "family friendly"

As if the majority of con goers think that way

So fuck them, I'm done
Jan 15, 2019 6:06 AM

Jun 2015
Never been to one. Sometimes I feel like I'd want to try one but I think the crowds would make it more trouble than it's worth.
Jan 15, 2019 6:18 AM

Jan 2016
I prefer Idol stage

Anime conventions are wasting time and money, better watch some anime in home.
Jan 15, 2019 6:18 AM

Nov 2016
I would love to, but I wasn't able to convince my friends to accompany me and visiting a con alone doesn't seem like much fun. There's the chance to befriend people there and hang out, but I dunno.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 15, 2019 6:31 AM

Aug 2015
Not too often, but I did go to anime convention twice. Definitely worth a visit but it gets too crowdy at times and everything is a little bit too pricey.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is your waifu self-aware of her beauty?

KryzakamiHrybami - 36 minutes ago

3 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
3 minutes ago

» Why are The Mysterious Play, Colour Cloud Palace and Raven of the Inner Palace not as popular as The Apothecary Diaries ?

KingSunWukong - Mar 25

23 by Lucifrost »»
4 minutes ago

» Animes that where well made, but just did not do well?

Zoopiez - 4 minutes ago

0 by Zoopiez »»
4 minutes ago

» Misconceptions about anime in general or specific titles that continue to spread despite everything

RobertBobert - 7 hours ago

23 by Lucifrost »»
7 minutes ago

» when was the last time you truly fell in love with a character and vice versa?

ame - May 24

21 by Shizuna »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.