Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (13) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Feb 27, 2019 5:57 PM

Dec 2018
kiv7 said:
Ironclad_Cobra said:

You get Okujou-hime. Hope it turns out okay
A little long but I'll try it out ^-^ Thanks a lot ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ

lol it's 22 chapters...

Feb 27, 2019 8:22 PM
Oct 2017
Flash87 said:
kiv7 said:
A little long but I'll try it out ^-^ Thanks a lot ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ

lol it's 22 chapters...
Not because I find this manga long, I've read a manga longer than that ๐Ÿ˜… , but I use a site to read manga now, it's hard to find in this site a manga longer than 12 ch and complete ๐Ÿค” In fact even this manga is incomplete in this site /:
So :/ ...
Feb 28, 2019 8:23 AM

Jul 2009
Looking for recs for these two categories:

8. Read a manga serialized in a josei magazine.
and
25. Read a manga that has a protagonist who is the gender opposite to the demographic.

Looking for something completed and bellow 100 chaps if possible.
I have read very few Jousei manga so pretty much everything is valid. In the second category I'm interested in a Shounen featuring a main female, but a Shoujo featuring a main male also sounds interesting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2019 8:57 AM

Mar 2017
CrashRHCP said:
Looking for recs for these two categories:

and
25. Read a manga that has a protagonist who is the gender opposite to the demographic.

Looking for something completed and bellow 100 chaps if possible.
I have read very few Jousei manga so pretty much everything is valid. In the second category I'm interested in a Shounen featuring a main female, but a Shoujo featuring a main male also sounds interesting.

Female lead in shounen: Tokyo ESP or Karin
Male lead in shoujo: No.6 or Donten ni Warau
Feb 28, 2019 11:04 AM

Jul 2009
BrainpanSonata said:

Female lead in shounen: Tokyo ESP or Karin
Male lead in shoujo: No.6 or Donten ni Warau

Thanks.
I think I'm going with Karin.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2019 1:24 PM

Apr 2013
CrashRHCP said:

Looking for something completed and below 100 chaps if possible.
I have read very few Josei manga so pretty much everything is valid.

Shigeshoushi
Usagi Drop
Game Over
Aka no Sekai
:)
Mar 1, 2019 5:26 AM

Jul 2009

They all look interesting.
Thanks!
Mar 2, 2019 8:34 AM

Sep 2017
3. Read a prequel/sequel to a manga that you've already read.

does it count if i read a manga and its sequel (for example 20th century boys and 21st century boys) for the same difficulty?..

also is Kakukaku Shikajika from a josei magazine?..
https://myanimelist.net/manga/44307/Kakukaku_Shikajika
Mar 2, 2019 8:59 AM

Mar 2016
Salamak said:

does it count if i read a manga and its sequel (for example 20th century boys and 21st century boys) for the same difficulty?..

Yes for both cases! :)
Mar 2, 2019 9:03 AM

Sep 2017
Schlopsi said:
Salamak said:

Yes for both cases! :)

i see, thanks a lot :)
Mar 4, 2019 8:35 PM

Dec 2018
So I've finished level 2 - Apprentice and getting ready to move on to Intermediate. Here's what I read, my brief thoughts and personal ratings. Please let me know what you thought of any of these.

APPRENTICE (15 items needed... completed 16)

1. (Ap.01) Read a web/4-koma manga.
    Number Girl
    I tried reading a few 4-koma and found it really hard to get into the style, they also tend to be a lot of romance/comedy based 4-koma. Eventually I found Number Girl which shows a number of clones being taught how to be individuals and mostly failing in the process. It’s an alright read, but nothing special.
    My Rating: 6

2. (Ap.02) Read a manhua or a manhwa.
    Hotel: since 2079
    So originally I started reading “Solo Levelling”... and got really hooked and read up to date. Super fun Isekai manhwa with great art. Dude keeps getting stronger and we all know where it’s going so it was fun. My Rating: 9
    BUT Solo Levelling isn’t on MAL as it’s a web manhwa (crazy to think we’re splitting these hairs with so much going digitial) so instead I read a short one and done. Hotel: Since 2079 stars a giant tower as it’s protagonist and tells a very well done sci-fi short story. A very enjoyable short read.
    My Rating: 7

3. (Ap.03) Read a prequel/sequel to a manga that you've already read.
    [url=https://myanimelist.net/manga/109608/Goblin_Slayer_Gaiden__Year_One[/url]

Prequel to Goblin Slayer. Ongoing, read to latest chapter (21) at time of completion.

More of the same great art (as talked about below for Goblin Slayer main series) and very much the same kind of stories being told here. Fun stuff even if I’m still a bit put off by the overly ecchi rape scenes.

4. (Ap.04) Read a spin-off or side story of a manga that you've already read.
    Goblin Slayer: Brand New Day
    Spin-off story to Goblin Slayer. Ongoing, read to latest chapter (8) at time of completion. This was the 16th completed for this level so read as it was short and I’d just read the other 2 GS series in a row. This one doesn’t feature the same outstanding art and the stories are mostly one and done side stories featuring other characters. Some are good, some not so.

5. (Ap.07) Read a manga by a female author/artist.
    Yunagi no Machi Sakura no Kuni
    I’d enjoyed a good historical manga in the novice level but this one seemed convoluted and lacked the punch I expected for something related to the Hiroshima bombings. Volume 1 is pretty good, but volume 2 seems superfluous and had no real point. Not something I’d recommend.
    My Rating: 5

6. (Ap.12) Read a manga that has been adapted to live-action.
    All You Need is Kill
    Pretty much the definition of generic sci-fi manga. There’s some really pretty art in here but the story is pretty rough, particularly the ending which I thought was absolute trash without going into spoilers.
    My Rating: 7 Mostly for the art… looking back this should probably be a 6.

7. (Ap.14) Read a manga that is 6 to 10 volumes in length.
    Pluto 8 volumes.
    Phenomenal. If All you need is Kill is the generic example of sci-fi in manga this one is a masterpiece. Incredibly well written characters and themes of what actually constitutes life, the importance of emotions and what do memories really mean. On two occasions the manga is heartbreaking. To this point this is the greatest manga I’ve read, I honestly can’t recommend it highly enough and even got a non-manga loving friend hooked on it.
    My Rating: 10

8. (Ap.15) Read a manga ranked BELOW 5,000.
    Ressisentiment Ranked #6295 as of completion.
    Funny at times… creepy and awkward to read at others. An otaku gets a digital girlfriend who turns out to be something special. The protagonist is a super unlikeable character who consistently makes the wrong choices and then blames the world around him.

9. (Ap.16) Read a manga with less than 5,000 completed members.
    Uchi no Musume ni Te wo Dasuna!: Oyako Heroine Funtousu 417 completed at time of completion
    A superhero story with lots of rape :/ The styles don’t really work together, the story falls apart and it’s just a steaming pile of not worth reading.
    My Rating: 3

10. (Ap.19) Read an Action or Adventure manga.
    Gokiburi Buster
    A one shot by the guys behind One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100. A super quick fun story about the greatest threat to earth… the normal regular house cockroach… chilling stuff :p Fun read with good art.

11. (Ap.20) Read a Fantasy or Mystery manga.
    Goblin Slayer Ongoing, read to latest chapter (33) at time of completion.
    Outstanding art and some really good fantasy world building and action. I would rate it much higher if it wasn’t for the almost glorification of rape in the ecchi scenes. Like I have no problem with rape being used in media, I’m just pretty sure a lot of manga doesn’t deal with it in the right way…

12. (Ap.21) Read a Sports or Games manga.
    Teppuu
    Outstanding MMA manga which sadly comes to an end way too quickly. As I said before in this thread I wish the mangaka hadn’t had to drop this as it’s got great characters, a compelling story and some of the hottest abs in manga. Great read.
    My Rating: 9

13. (Ap.22) Read a manga with a child main character.
    High Score Girl Read until chapter 52 as the last few chapters haven't been translated :(
    I was gutted when I realised the last few chapters haven’t been translated. This is an incredibly wholesome and heartwarming tale of 2 children who’ve fallen in love amidst the back drop of the 90’s arcade scene. Great stuff, I see there’s an anime too, I need to check that out.
    My Rating: 9

14. (Ap.25) Read a manga that has a protagonist who is the gender opposite to the demographic.
    Omoide Emanon
    Really beautiful both from the art and the short story being told. Don’t really want to spoil this one. Give it a go.
    My Rating: 8

15. (Ap.26) Read a mahou shoujo manga.
    Dangan Tenshi Fan Club
    Magical girls aren’t really my thing so went for another one shot, also done by same guys as OPM and MP100. Another fun action packed short story.

16. (Ap.27) Read a GAR manga.
    Oyaji
    Hard hitting story of a beast of a man coming back from prison and solving their problems. Being both brutal and touching at the same time. Great read.
    My Rating: 8

Mar 4, 2019 11:47 PM

Apr 2013
@Flash87
"BUT Solo Levelling isn’t on MAL as it’s a web manhwa"
I also read Solo Leveling, it's so good, as you say. I used it for the challenge, though. .-.
You can use manga from other places, just link us the bakaupdates page or whatever. :)
Mar 5, 2019 12:24 AM

Dec 2018
HeNrYTG50 said:
@Flash87
"BUT Solo Levelling isn’t on MAL as it’s a web manhwa"
I also read Solo Leveling, it's so good, as you say. I used it for the challenge, though. .-.
You can use manga from other places, just link us the bakaupdates page or whatever. :)

Good to know! Thanks

Mar 5, 2019 12:24 PM

Mar 2013
@flash87

I thought ressentiment was really good and it being creepy/awkward intentionally.
Mar 5, 2019 6:23 PM

Dec 2018
AudioTsunami said:
@flash87

I thought ressentiment was really good and it being creepy/awkward intentionally.

I guess so just didn't find it enjoyable. Just looked at the manga we've shared reading, how come you hated Teppuu?

Mar 6, 2019 6:16 AM

Mar 2013
Flash87 said:
AudioTsunami said:
@flash87

I guess so just didn't find it enjoyable. Just looked at the manga we've shared reading, how come you hated Teppuu?

It just wasn't very good. I thought the story was rushed and there wasn't any character development. Girl was a jerk, the fight happened, then the manga ended. idk. I just wanted a lot more and what we got felt lackluster. I wish there'd be another MMA manga similar to All Rounder Meguru.

I liked hotel a lot too.
Mar 6, 2019 1:56 PM

Jun 2015
Hi~
I have a little question o.o
For item number 21: "Read a manga with a number in the title."
This manga works?
https://myanimelist.net/manga/95121/23_45
Cause it's only numbers

Mar 6, 2019 2:05 PM

Mar 2016
Onodera_Riku said:
Hi~
This manga works?
Cause it's only numbers

Yeah, it works (we would check the alternative titles as well, so you are definitely on the safe side with it).
Mar 6, 2019 2:36 PM

Jun 2015
Schlopsi said:
Onodera_Riku said:
Hi~
This manga works?
Cause it's only numbers

Yeah, it works (we would check the alternative titles as well, so you are definitely on the safe side with it).

Yaay~ Thank you :D

Mar 7, 2019 7:50 AM
Dec 2010
So regarding Novice.05, .06 and similar challenges, does it count if the series is still being serialized or does it have to be finished, over and done with?
Mar 7, 2019 9:22 AM

Mar 2016
Saro2775 said:
So regarding Novice.05, .06 and similar challenges, does it count if the series is still being serialized or does it have to be finished, over and done with?

It can be ongoing, but you have to be up to date with it at the time of your turn-in.
Mar 7, 2019 4:14 PM
Dec 2010
Schlopsi said:
Saro2775 said:

It can be ongoing, but you have to be up to date with it at the time of your turn-in.

Alright, thanks :-)
Mar 10, 2019 12:58 AM

Dec 2018
Not finding anything that's taking my fancy. Mostly I've been enjoying shounen/seinen stuff with fantasy/sci-fi/cooking/action/sports genres. So if anyone could suggest something relevant to any of these challenges let me know:

12. Read a manga that is 11 to 15 volumes in length.

16. Read a manga about otaku.

22. Read a delinquent manga.

27. Read a manga that with cover art that is primarily one color
28. Read a manga that has 6 or more words in its title.
29. Read a manga with a one word title.

Pretty wide net...

Mar 10, 2019 11:50 AM

Mar 2013
@flash87

let's see.

12. Read a manga that is 11 to 15 volumes in length. From your PTR Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Angel Densetsu, Gokusen(i read this, it's pretty fun)

16. Read a manga about otaku. Chikan Otoko, Densha Otoko, Genshinken, Change 123 (from your PTR, has an otaku tag on bakaupdates)

22. Read a delinquent manga. Gokusen also works here, Crows, technically Yu Yu Hakusho (Yusuke and Kuwabara are deliquents and it had a deliquents tag on bakaupdates)

27. Read a manga that with cover art that is primarily one color Kaikisen (it's weak for something by Kon but Kon is still great. Also on your PTR)

28. Read a manga that has 6 or more words in its title. From your PTR: "Jumyou wo Kaitotte Moratta. Ichinen ni Tsuki, Ichimanen de.", "Kono Shima ni wa Midara de Jaaku na Mono ga Sumu", and there's a couple "less savory" options on your ptr that you can go discover at your own leisure.

29. Read a manga with a one word title. From your ptr: Abara, Akumetsu, Annarasumanara, Bambino!, Bokurano to name a few.
Mar 10, 2019 2:45 PM

Mar 2016
@Flash87
Tsunamis recs were pretty solid, though I figure I can get some more in
Zero - 29
Onanie Master Kurosawa - 16 arguably, I'd let it pass but I'm not too sure on the others, highest recommendations either way
Out - 22, 29 ongoing, definitely worth picking up though
Clover - 22, 29 pure action/shounen, great fun
Holyland - 22, 29 pretty edgy, but really solid if you can get past it

Seconding a few others that can be used for a few items
Angel Densetsu - 12, 22
Bambino! - 12, 29
Densha Otoko: Net Hatsu, Kakueki Teisha no Love Story - 16, 28
Ironclad_CobraMar 10, 2019 2:51 PM
Mar 10, 2019 3:39 PM

Mar 2013
Forgot to add holyland to 22. Holyland is defiinently good and fine for 22.
Mar 11, 2019 11:28 AM
ฯˆ( ` โˆ‡ ยด )ฯˆ

Nov 2015
@MRC_mod could you please assign me a random manga to read for the advanced section?
Thank You!! :)

"๐“˜'๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ซ๐“ฎ๐“ฌ๐“ธ๐“ถ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“š๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“Ÿ๐“ฒ๐“ป๐“ช๐“ฝ๐“ฎ๐“ผ!"
Mar 11, 2019 12:34 PM

Mar 2013
@HeNrYTG50 @Schlopsi @Ironclad_Cobra

@MelissaWolf: you should use their usernames not the mrc_mod account
Mar 11, 2019 12:43 PM

Mar 2016
MelissaWolf said:
@MRC_mod could you please assign me a random manga to read for the advanced section?
Thank You!! :)

Here you go: Hanaotoko. Hope you'll like it. :D

Thx for the mention, AudioTsunami.

Btw.: Don't forget about our recommendation list, which can be found in the first post of this thread:
SchlopsiMar 11, 2019 12:51 PM
Mar 11, 2019 1:41 PM

Mar 2013
*thumbs up emoji*
Mar 11, 2019 3:46 PM

Mar 2015
Greetings! I need help on this one
(I.25) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread

As long as it's not a school+romance duo, anything's fine
Mar 11, 2019 5:42 PM

Mar 2016
Rocy98 said:
Greetings! I need help on this one
(I.25) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread

As long as it's not a school+romance duo, anything's fine

Let me know if nothing takes your fancy
Slam Dunk
RRR
Out
Mar 11, 2019 8:18 PM

Dec 2018
@Ironclad_Cobra & @AudioTsunami

Awesome recommendations, thanks! My PTR has got a bit out of hand... guess that's what happens when you add everything you kinda like the look of!

Is there a way to mass delete items on the PTR?

Mar 12, 2019 10:27 AM

Mar 2016
@Flash87 Imo not possible. The quickest way though would probably be, to go to your PTR -> click on edit -> Delete

Mar 12, 2019 10:42 AM
Dec 2010
Regarding the "spin-off/side story to a previously read manga" challenge on the apprentice-level, would Puella Magi Madoka Magica ~ the different story work if I read PMMM earlier in the challenge?
On the manga pages the different story is listed as an AU/AV, not as a spin-off per se, that's why I'm unsure.
Mar 12, 2019 11:56 AM

Mar 2016
Saro2775 said:
Regarding the "spin-off/side story to a previously read manga" challenge on the apprentice-level, would Puella Magi Madoka Magica ~ the different story work if I read PMMM earlier in the challenge?
On the manga pages the different story is listed as an AU/AV, not as a spin-off per se, that's why I'm unsure.

Personally, I'd let it through, especially considering that it's called a spinoff in the synopsis. I might be tempted to call most alternate versions invalid, but from what I can tell it does actually branch from that story rather than being a retelling or something like that, so it seems like a problem of the terms overlapping in the db
Mar 12, 2019 1:35 PM
Dec 2010
Ironclad_Cobra said:
Saro2775 said:

Personally, I'd let it through, especially considering that it's called a spinoff in the synopsis. I might be tempted to call most alternate versions invalid, but from what I can tell it does actually branch from that story rather than being a retelling or something like that, so it seems like a problem of the terms overlapping in the db

Alright, thank you very much.
Another question if I may, would you say that the Spice and Wolf Manga is valid for the "Read a manga related to Folklore, Mythology etc." challenge?
Mar 12, 2019 1:37 PM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
(25.) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.

Open to any genre or what not, but if it can be 5 volumes or under, that'd be great thank you.
Mar 12, 2019 3:11 PM

Apr 2013
Saro2775 said:
Another question if I may, would you say that the Spice and Wolf Manga is valid for the "Read a manga related to Folklore, Mythology etc." challenge?

Sure thing! :D I'd say.
Mar 13, 2019 7:59 AM

Jul 2009
Stripes said:
(25.) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.

Open to any genre or what not, but if it can be 5 volumes or under, that'd be great thank you.

Here ya go:
https://myanimelist.net/manga/3258/Haruka_na_Machi_e
Mar 13, 2019 6:00 PM

Apr 2013
Mar 16, 2019 7:10 AM
็œŸ้ข็›ฎใซๅ‹‰ๅผทใ—ใฆใ‚‹

Jul 2014
I am looking for recommendations for #18: Read a manga with a non-human main character. If possible it should be a finished manga with around 4-7 volumes if that is possible? :>
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Mar 16, 2019 7:20 AM

Mar 2016
Brati said:
I am looking for recommendations for #18: Read a manga with a non-human main character. If possible it should be a finished manga with around 4-7 volumes if that is possible? :>

Only one that came to mind at the 4-7 range was Fudatsuki no Kyouko-chan
Gon, as well, though I haven't read it yet
Mar 16, 2019 4:40 PM

Mar 2015
Ironclad_Cobra said:

Let me know if nothing takes your fancy
Slam Dunk
RRR
Out

The three of them look awesome! I'll go with Slam Dunk for this one but I'll keep in mind the others for future items, Thanks!
Mar 16, 2019 7:05 PM

Apr 2013
Brati said:

Hmm. :O

I have to rec https://myanimelist.net/manga/401/Kiseijuu it's only 10 volumes. :P

This one's pretty good. https://myanimelist.net/manga/50027/About_Death

This one should count. https://myanimelist.net/manga/737/Tsurebito

https://myanimelist.net/manga/773/Saishuu_Heiki_Kanojo

https://myanimelist.net/manga/1194/Ai-Ren

Hope you like one of these. :D
Mar 18, 2019 6:12 PM

Dec 2008
I'm planning on re-reading a favorite manga anyway and thought that if I manage to get to Advanced I can count it for #15. Re-read a manga there.

My question is how do we handle that? Do we need to overwrite the original date read on our list? Or are we on the honor system keeping track of the date on our challenge post?
Mar 18, 2019 6:29 PM

Apr 2013
letsgomeisei said:
I'm planning on re-reading a favorite manga anyway and thought that if I manage to get to Advanced I can count it for #15. Re-read a manga there.

My question is how do we handle that? Do we need to overwrite the original date read on our list? Or are we on the honor system keeping track of the date on our challenge post?

There's a re-read option, you don't have to change the date, but at the end it'll say "times re-read: 1". It should also appear on your reading history.
Mar 18, 2019 6:44 PM

Dec 2008
HeNrYTG50 said:
letsgomeisei said:

There's a re-read option, you don't have to change the date, but at the end it'll say "times re-read: 1". It should also appear on your reading history.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the reading history, that helps. I've re-read a couple times before, so would a screenshot of the re-read number the day I start re-reading help with accountability and the reading history will verify after? Sorry for so many questions.
Mar 18, 2019 6:55 PM

Apr 2013
letsgomeisei said:
HeNrYTG50 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the reading history, that helps. I've re-read a couple times before, so would a screenshot of the re-read number the day I start re-reading help with accountability and the reading history will verify after? Sorry for so many questions.

At that point let's just go by the honor system. xD No screenshot needed for that one, but if you want to, feel free. :)
Mar 25, 2019 3:13 PM

Dec 2017
Is it possible to add ongoing series to my challenges? Like eks. One Piece?
I understand that I would obviously need to be caught up with the series, but caught up as in latest online chapter translation or the latest english volume release?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (13) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

387 by Bestkindoftrash »»
7 hours ago

» How many of your favorite mangas do you own physical copies of? ( 1 2 )

bucciest - May 29, 2023

66 by G-Orange »»
8 hours ago

» What device do you read Manga on? ( 1 2 )

SupremeGod - Sep 14, 2023

54 by Touka »»
9 hours ago

» Why do you think MAL users don't read manga?

Nyron - Feb 7

25 by Herapath »»
Yesterday, 11:00 PM

» Seinen vs Shounen

Faceless_Friend - Sep 7, 2021

36 by PPL_CaLL_Me_DUDE »»
Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.