Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 24, 2018 8:51 AM
Jul 2018
Kougami kept Psycho pass from being bad for me. Only one with a not vague internal struggle. I didn't like anyone else in the cast, especially Akane.

Nanachi from Made in Abyss because I didn't like the two MC's and I thought Ozen was just decent.
Nov 24, 2018 12:38 PM
Aug 2016
Literally Hei from Darker than Black. His character managed to make the series somewhat enjoyable.
Nov 24, 2018 12:41 PM

Nov 2016
Aguri turned Gamers into a pleasant experience.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 11, 2020 8:07 PM

Feb 2019
For me it would be:

Multy(to heart)
Mahoro(mahoromatic)
"Rating are for Casul"

"While masterpiece are for Pleb"

"But shit taste is enlightenment"

"Go watch School Days you Weebs"
Jun 12, 2020 3:44 AM

Oct 2017
I can probably name several, though I tend to favor shows where multiple characters shine brightly, just because character interactions are my favorite part of any story. That said, I think the most recent example, for myself, would probably be Shinjo Akane from SSSS.Gridman. A rare example of the antagonist being the main character and therefore the one that sort of demands the most attention.
Jun 12, 2020 3:53 AM

Apr 2019

Accelerator carried the Index series for me. Without him, I wouldn't bother watching the series.
AngeleratorJun 12, 2020 3:56 AM
Jun 12, 2020 4:06 AM

Jan 2016
I guess with Gunjou no Magmell,it was kind of like that except alongside Inyou I also liked Zero (though I think Inyou carried it). Not exactly carried also, but Akashic Records, Luck & Logic and Hidan no Aria were two anime I only got through cause I was routing for the deadpans (Re=L, Mana, and Reki), but I guess that's a subjective carry. Taboo Tattoo would probably be the closest though, only character I can remotely remember is Fluesy.
Jun 12, 2020 4:09 AM

Dec 2015
I think that's pretty rare. While some stuff like Gobline Slayer (here the main personality and how slayer behaves is good for funny moments) comes to my mind usually some other chars are involved and important as well.

While the opposite - all chars (even minor ones ... or with a lot of mains and all of them being good) is also pretty rare ...

the most common thing for me seems to be 2-3 chars that are great. (Usually I like minor/side chars more than main chars though.)
Jun 12, 2020 4:10 AM

Dec 2018
Kyon from the Haruhi series. It wouldn’t be the same and probably would be very boring and cliche without him.
Jun 12, 2020 4:25 AM

Jan 2017
koro sensei was the only reason i kept watching ansatsu kyoushitsu.
Jun 12, 2020 4:47 AM

Apr 2018
For me, it's the first Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu TV series (2006). Haruhi was the only interesting character.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/849/Suzumiya_Haruhi_no_Yuuutsu

The show got better when combined with the new episodes released in 2009 anyway. Also, the movie is great.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain

Jun 12, 2020 4:49 AM
Jun 12, 2020 4:52 AM

Oct 2018
New game- Sakura Nene.

Attack on titan- Levi...
Jun 12, 2020 4:53 AM

Aug 2017
I only cared about Inaba in Kokoro Connect.

In BNHA Todoroki and that weird crazy girl (Toga or something) are the only interesting characters.

Fumino in Bokuben
Jun 12, 2020 5:56 AM

Jun 2010
I like animals and any series that has cute animals will always attract me. Some examples are the Exceeds, the cat-like creatures in Fairy Tail; Chi, a kitten from Chi's Sweet Home series; Chopper, a reindeer from Fairy Tail; Kon, a lion stuffed toy from Bleach; and all the zodiac animals in Fruits Basket.

Some people may think that the main character will always be the character that most people like, but it is not always true. There are and always will be other characters that are attractive to people's eyes. Sometimes it may not even be the character's appearance itself, but other factors like the personality, traits, habits, lifestyle, clothing he/she/it wears, etc, could be just as intriguing.
Jun 12, 2020 7:36 AM

Nov 2018
Escanor from Nanatsu No Taizai. I literally named my account after him. I remember watching the first season and was like, okay not that good. Then, my brothers kept telling me watch until season 3, and in Season three I witnessed a character, who was sooo strong, literally carried the whole season (of 19 episodes ) on his shoulders, that too; when he only is introduced in episode 13. In conclusion, Nanatsu No Taizai but in the latest season not even 10 Escanor's could carry along the show, the production studio just trashed the show.
Jun 12, 2020 9:28 PM

Dec 2019
I can almost guarantee that if Yuno gasai wasn't in Mirai Nikki, it would be no where near as popular or talked about it as it is today.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
-Kino's Journey
Jun 13, 2020 3:52 AM

Feb 2017
I'm currently watching Kimagure Orange Road and I think it perfectly fits this topic lmao. Ayukawa Madoka is one of the most interesting female character I've ever seen.
Jun 13, 2020 4:16 AM

Jul 2014
Gasai Yuno made Mirai Nikki watchable.
Take care of yourself

Jun 13, 2020 4:39 AM

Jul 2016
Without Hisoka Hunter x Hunter wouldn't be as interesting. Always liked his character since I was a kid watching the 1999 version.
Jun 13, 2020 4:55 AM

Jul 2019
Well, its more like 2 characters. Seven Deadly Sins was carried by Ban and Escanor. Rest of the characters either sucked or were meh.
Jun 13, 2020 5:01 AM

Dec 2015
L from Death Note. Yes, I know Light is amazing, but his importance should be obvious since he is... the MC. Talking about the character itself, I probably like Light more than L. But without L, Light wouldn't have a challenge, consequently the story wouldn't have all the amazing moments it had in the first 12 episodes. Also, if they tried to replace L, that would just feel extremely forced and unnatural.

Also Saitama from OPM. Without him, the show would be just another generic shounen (which is unfortunately what's happening in the manga now).
Jun 13, 2020 5:12 AM

Nov 2011
Re:Zero lives or dies by how you feel about Subaru.
Jun 13, 2020 5:27 AM

May 2018
Lelouch from Code Geass carried the show from start to the end.
Jun 13, 2020 5:38 AM

Nov 2018
SNK-Mikasa Ackerman
Without her whole series is shit for me.
BNHA-Midoriya Izuku
Just liked him.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Jun 13, 2020 6:05 AM

Mar 2016
fate stay night (rin and archer maybe gilgamesh)
code geass (CC and lelouch)

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Jun 13, 2020 6:32 AM
Jan 2016
Beatless: Lecia
Koi to Uso: Sanada Ririna(I know this show because I stumble upon a fanart of her)
Musaigen no Phantom World: Kawakami Mai
Fate/Apocrypha: Aka no Lancer(he is super cool guy)
Jun 13, 2020 6:32 AM

Jun 2015
that cutie mutie from that film

shes the MC
Jun 13, 2020 8:20 AM

Sep 2014
This really has to go to Zero Two from Darling in the Franxx. Though that show probably doesnt count as carried, does it?

Most other shows still have redeeming qualities outside of the one carry character. Code Geass would still be a show with interesting twists and kick ass battles with a little bit of mysterious magic in it, LoGH without Reinhard would be boring, but still a great grand space opera with political and philosophical aspects.

DitF without 02? Absolute trash.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 13, 2020 9:04 AM

Jan 2020
Trinity Seven was bearable because of Arata - one of the few great harem protags. It’s been mentioned before, but I would also say Toua from One Outs. His character literally has almost 400x more favorites than the next most favorited character lol. I’ve yet to see a disparity this big before.
Jun 13, 2020 9:07 AM

Jun 2014
Does it count if I didn't particularly like the show but the character still carried hard?

If so: Askeladd from Vinland Saga & Minagawa Akane from Kuzu no Honkai
Jun 13, 2020 9:33 AM

Apr 2020
One Punch Man second season was carried hard by Garou. Which is very sad when you think that was the season where things start to get interesting.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Jun 13, 2020 10:08 AM

Oct 2018
Mirai Nikki without Yuno would bad and unwatchable. With that being said Mirai Nikki with Yuno is bad and watchable.

Also Esdeath and Akame from Akame Ga Kill but even saying that I didn't like those two characters or the show really at all but most people remember the show for those two.
Jun 13, 2020 10:31 AM

Dec 2018
MrZawa said:
The best example of this for me is Ergo Proxy. I would have probably dropped that show somewhere in the second half if not for Pino being so cute. I literally only finished that show for her :D

Now that I think about it, I think you're right, she's the only light touch in this dark world so yeah she definetely carry the show in her own way

iunne said:
Does it count if I didn't particularly like the show but the character still carried hard?

If so: Askeladd from Vinland Saga & Minagawa Akane from Kuzu no Honkai

I second this for Askeladd.

Also I would say Yamada from Working!!
Jun 13, 2020 10:42 AM

Jun 2019
Lain from Serial Experiments Lain. Even if she's more of a concept and being who things transpire around and happen to rather than a more classical active protagonist. The anime, for all its brilliance and insights, would play more as a straight documentary without her.

Migi from Kiseijuu, since he's the link between two species as the one who actively goes beyond being constrained by the biologically-programmed worldview of his species (as does a more supporting character, Tamiya Ryoko, and the MC as well by series end, with Migi's assistance) and without him and his insights into many of the hypocrisies and absurdities of the human condition, both the human characters and the parasites in humanoid form occupying human bodies would all be much more two-dimensional seeming characters, including the main character. It really serves to show you how practically every single organism and every member of every species, including the most alien-esque insects that parasites are analogous to and humans too are all so hemmed in and limited in terms of what to think/feel and how they're "allowed" (physically able) to express it or not.

That's why I really love inhuman (actually not human - not using that word as some hyperbole for "cruel" or "brutal" - one could argue both those traits are perfectly in line with what constitutes being a proper human historically anyway) humanoid characters that can communicate to humans with human speech like aliens, androids, vampires, etc. because I think it gives a unique and refreshing look on the species from an outside POV as much as possible.
Jun 13, 2020 10:45 AM

Aug 2009
Jun 13, 2020 11:01 AM
Jul 2017
Definitely Yang Wenli and Reinhard von Lohengramm carries the whole Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Adster123Jun 15, 2020 8:36 PM
Jun 13, 2020 11:31 AM

Oct 2019
Probably Clannad. It had some enjoyable side characters but most of my enjoyment of after story came from Tomoya’s character arc.

Code Geass is another one. Lelouch and C.C were the only characters I truly enjoyed but they were enough to make me enjoy the show.

Catalano said:
Gasai Yuno is my answer, I even rated MN 8.
Not that related: FC Barcelona will lose 40% of its fanbase after Messi retires.

True.
Jun 13, 2020 11:38 AM
Apr 2014
Problably Mikoto misaka in To Aru series. I problably might dropped Index S3 if it wasn't for her... (Yeah, I prefer Accelerator and Railgun sidestories better than Index itself as I find the magic side boring for some reason...)
Jun 13, 2020 11:52 AM

Mar 2016
As many have said Hei from Dtb. There wasn't any other worthwhile character and I would have dropped it if it weren't for him.

Then I feel like Noragami was riding on Yato's shoulders all along. Yukine and Hiyori were both generic and obnoxious.

What also comes to mind is not an anime but a manga – Akiyama Shinichi from Liar Game. Nao and her honesty was kinda fun at first but quickly became very annyoing, stupid and repetitive. None of the other characters were really memorable, except for Fukunaga but I didn't like the way the fact that she was transgender was handeled and also how her having a crush on Akiyama was only mentioned once. I know the manga wasn't about that but it could have been kinda interesting to see it tackled in some way.

As for another non-anime character there's Komaeda from Danganronpa – would have dropped the second game halfway through otherwise.
Jun 13, 2020 11:56 AM
Dec 2018
Askeladd low key carried Vinland Saga especially towards the end
Jun 13, 2020 11:57 AM

Oct 2019
Asuna - SAO
Zero Two - Darling in the FranXX
Bakugou - MHA
Lain - SEL
Kotonoha - School Days (I don't exactly like the show, but I was able to finish it because of her)
Jun 13, 2020 12:46 PM
Apr 2020
Nishikinomiya Anna (Shimoneta) because of watchmojo (I like her voice in dub version)
Saginomiya, Shiori (Joshikousei no Mudazukai) because she's a deadpan character and way pleasing to hear (of course it's subjective) than most of the character in this anime.
If you're happy and you know it clap your hands
Jun 13, 2020 1:24 PM

Sep 2019
I wouldn't have liked oregairu as much as i did if hachiman wasn't the main character.
"No matter how hard we fight it we always return to where we're meant to be."
Jun 19, 2020 10:06 AM

Jun 2019
Kumagawa Misogi from Medaka Box, and Accelerator from Toaru Majutsu no Index.
Jun 19, 2020 10:30 AM

Jul 2019
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji comes to mind, though even at times you dislike Keijo, the MC. I guess the entire premise of the show villianized everyone except the MC though.
PerfectAzulJun 19, 2020 10:40 AM
Jun 19, 2020 10:36 AM
Jun 2019
Kaiji from Kaiji. This dude is literally the stupidest MC ive ever seen in years. Wouldve dropped it if he wasnt stupid tho
please dont hurt me

-yukko
Jun 19, 2020 10:39 AM

Sep 2018
-gasai yuno ( mirai nikki )
- ayanakoji (classroom of the elite)
Jun 19, 2020 10:40 AM

Jun 2012
Angelerator said:

Accelerator carried the Index series for me. Without him, I wouldn't bother watching the series.

Accelerator is pretty cool but...

Kuruko for me.
Shoot first, think never.
Jul 13, 2020 10:18 AM

Oct 2019
Keima Katsuragi from The World God Only Knows.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days?

anizawa89 - 3 hours ago

23 by Rainme »»
18 seconds ago

» 1 trick pony, but it's actually peak!

APolygons2 - Yesterday

26 by IKKIsama »»
1 minute ago

» If there a Cute Guys doing cute thing would you watch it?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

21 by Kwanthemaster »»
5 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions

NoelleIsSleepy - 55 minutes ago

9 by LeonhartAugust »»
5 minutes ago

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - Yesterday

65 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.