Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 15, 2018 4:17 AM
Aug 2014
It kind of confuses me because most comments are saying this is a good adaptation? Will the rating go higher as more episodes come? Is it because you can't judge a series from the first episode? Then why do some series with a first episode immediately has an 8.00 rating? Sorry, I'm really confused by MAL rating system. How does it work? Thank you.
Oct 15, 2018 4:43 AM

Apr 2016
Cause fans tend to overrate.
Oct 15, 2018 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
Honestly, there is no definite answer.

Maybe people were just pissed as this manga's adaption was severely delayed. Or maybe the anime so far has failed to capture people the same the manga did. Well, I haven't read or seen either, but I know enough to speak on generalizations.

This is pretty common with anime adaptions of manga. Unless they're super popular, the score for the anime tends to be lower than the manga because of the simple fact that the manga is usually better.
Oct 15, 2018 2:21 PM
Jan 2018
changelog said:

Maybe people were just pissed as this manga's adaption was severely delayed. Or maybe the anime so far has failed to capture people the same the manga did. Well, I haven't read or seen either, but I know enough to speak on generalizations.

This is pretty common with anime adaptions of manga. Unless they're super popular, the score for the anime tends to be lower than the manga because of the simple fact that the manga is usually better.

I have seen quite a few manga adaptations without actually reading the manga, and I suspect quite a few people are doing the same thing with this adaptation.
However, considering that this series was advertised as a Yuri in the cover art, synopsis, and its assigned genres, some people are probably going in expecting something similar to the mess that was Citrus (not to compare the two here), and the first episode-and-a-half has probably confirmed those suspicions for some.

All we can really hope for now is that those people who are throwing 1/10 ratings for the suspicion that this is simply Citrus all over again, to give it a few more episodes to prove itself otherwise.
Oct 15, 2018 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
Pityfool said:
changelog said:

I have seen quite a few manga adaptations without actually reading the manga, and I suspect quite a few people are doing the same thing with this adaptation.
However, considering that this series was advertised as a Yuri in the cover art, synopsis, and its assigned genres, some people are probably going in expecting something similar to the mess that was Citrus (not to compare the two here), and the first episode-and-a-half has probably confirmed those suspicions for some.

All we can really hope for now is that those people who are throwing 1/10 ratings for the suspicion that this is simply Citrus all over again, to give it a few more episodes to prove itself otherwise.

Ahah, Citrus. It's no masterpiece but I don't hate the show either. It was actually my first manga, too, hence why it is on my favourites.

I agree with what you are saying, though. Shows like Citrus have basically set this image of yuri being a genre where a straight girl is perpetually assaulted by a lesbian until they're both lesbian.
Oct 15, 2018 2:47 PM

Jun 2015
changelog said:
Pityfool said:

Ahah, Citrus. It's no masterpiece but I don't hate the show either. It was actually my first manga, too, hence why it is on my favourites.

I agree with what you are saying, though. Shows like Citrus have basically set this image of yuri being a genre where a straight girl is perpetually assaulted by a lesbian until they're both lesbian.

Citrus was amazing stfu.

Dont say anything about that anime. Its hella good
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Oct 15, 2018 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
Manga's high rating due maybe shoujo-ai genre fans has been reading that mostly and anime watched by wide audience. And too much dialogue may not appeal everyone and maybe some disappointed or dropped the show lack of fanservice?

And also there are alot of manga/LN that have higher rating than the anime so this is not something new.
Oct 15, 2018 3:28 PM

Jun 2017
Cause you have to wait until the end
This score is temporary...
Oct 15, 2018 7:25 PM

Mar 2013
I can't speak for other people, but I rated low because of the senpai's flagrant disregard for consent.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 15, 2018 7:35 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
More people are watching then reading so the score is most likely to be different since theres more different opinions for the anime.

Also, its just the first episode or 2, its rare that a non-sequel anime goes more than a 8.00
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 15, 2018 11:12 PM

Sep 2018
zaverix said:
I can't speak for other people, but I rated low because of the senpai's flagrant disregard for consent.

I mean, she is a bit pushy but outside of the first kiss for which she seriously apologized she usually does make sure Yuu is on board before fully committing. I'm sure if Yuu gives her a straight and dead-pan "no" then she would not do whatever was asked.
Oct 15, 2018 11:24 PM

Mar 2013
giraffemangome said:
zaverix said:

I mean, she is a bit pushy but outside of the first kiss for which she seriously apologized she usually does make sure Yuu is on board before fully committing. I'm sure if Yuu gives her a straight and dead-pan "no" then she would not do whatever was asked.

The senpai blurting out her confession was inconsiderate to her feelings, but it was understandable in the moment and wasn't a condemable thing or anything.
But taking someone's first kiss who was LITERALLY just expressing how she didn't like her and believed things with two girls wasn't her thing, is a whole other deal. The Senpai ignores her and practically cuts that off to just kiss her quickly without consent, without build up, and without attempting to make her kouhai feel any of the emotions she was feeling in that moment.

tldr; She kissed her without consent. She kissed her right after her kouhai said she didn't feel comfortable doing stuff with two girls. She kissed her abruptly without setting any mood at all for this girl super interested in romantic moments. It was all around gross fam

Oct 16, 2018 12:04 AM
Jul 2018
Takamura-sama said:
changelog said:

Citrus was amazing stfu.

Don't get me wrong, I really love Citrus. It is by far my favourite yuri anime/manga and this would be my first recommendation to anyone.

My message above was just some constructive criticism—that's all.
Oct 16, 2018 12:31 AM

Jun 2015
changelog said:
Takamura-sama said:

Citrus was amazing stfu.

Don't get me wrong, I really love Citrus. It is by far my favourite yuri anime/manga and this would be my first recommendation to anyone.

My message above was just some constructive criticism—that's all.

Better :) I don't like people downtalking meimei chan
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Oct 16, 2018 5:22 AM
Jun 2016
animecat1234 said:
Why does this show has a 7.51 while the manga has a 8.37 rating?
When trawling MAL, I occasionally come across a certain kind of profile. People with an average score of 10.0.

Those people don't watch much anime. It's no coincidence that the three most popular anime of the season were (until recently) also the three highest scoring anime of the season.

There's a certain subset of people who'll watch yuri anime, and they're not the type to give out 10/10's to everything they see with reckless abandon.

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai has three times as many people currently watching it (and the same number of drops, but that can be explained away by people staying on because of the higher score, and the people who watch low scoring anime being more likely to drop anime), and it makes sense that a larger portion of the audience is full of filthy casuals.

In short, if Tamako Market can get a 7.38 on MAL, it's safe to say there's no rhyme or reason to the scores. People who watch more anime tend to have lower averages, and those are the types of people most likely to watch Yagate Kimi ni Naru.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I have seen NOTHING from this season. Yagate Kimi ni Naru is the one thing I have expectations for (I don't even have expectations for the KyoAni show, and I'm a massive KyoAni fanboy).
EDIT 2: My complete lack of faith in MAL scores has led me to watch the first episode of everything. I SINCERELY RECOMMEND AGAINST THAT, but I more strongly recommend against taking MAL scores seriously. Even the "if it scores below 7.0, it's garbage" rule (which I have long believed in) has proven not to be viable.
Tenderizer79Oct 16, 2018 5:26 AM
Oct 16, 2018 12:53 PM

Jul 2017
you shall not care about the ratings
Oct 16, 2018 12:56 PM

May 2015
zaverix said:
giraffemangome said:

The senpai blurting out her confession was inconsiderate to her feelings, but it was understandable in the moment and wasn't a condemable thing or anything.
But taking someone's first kiss who was LITERALLY just expressing how she didn't like her and believed things with two girls wasn't her thing, is a whole other deal. The Senpai ignores her and practically cuts that off to just kiss her quickly without consent, without build up, and without attempting to make her kouhai feel any of the emotions she was feeling in that moment.

tldr; She kissed her without consent. She kissed her right after her kouhai said she didn't feel comfortable doing stuff with two girls. She kissed her abruptly without setting any mood at all for this girl super interested in romantic moments. It was all around gross fam

You're overreacting big time.

Oct 16, 2018 12:58 PM

Jan 2008
Manga obtains less attention. People who seek out the specific manga are the specific audience and thus rate it higher. Anime however does not share this pattern. We have seasonal watchers who will watch just about anything, even those who were not looking for this specific genre of show, thus a larger audience and a larger difference in opinion. This is why manga and especially light novels, are often rated excessively high.
Oct 16, 2018 2:17 PM

Mar 2013
TsukuyomiREKT said:
zaverix said:

I mean that's your opinion fam. I'm tired of nonconsent being a staple of yaoi or yuri stories. Even if it's just little, it's still a problem in the whole media, so doing it here just perpetuates a bigger issue.

Oct 16, 2018 6:50 PM
Jul 2009
Tenderizer17 said:

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I have seen NOTHING from this season. Yagate Kimi ni Naru is the one thing I have expectations for (I don't even have expectations for the KyoAni show, and I'm a massive KyoAni fanboy).

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 hype af
Oct 18, 2018 12:44 AM

Apr 2016
zaverix said:

That is just the state of genre, don't expect it to be changed.
Oct 18, 2018 1:22 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
1. Manga scores are almost always higher.

2. Most people wait to rate after the series is ended.
Oct 18, 2018 10:36 AM

Dec 2011
zaverix said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

I mean that's your opinion fam. I'm tired of nonconsent being a staple of yaoi or yuri stories. Even if it's just little, it's still a problem in the whole media, so doing it here just perpetuates a bigger issue.

I agree with you, but just adding here that noncon content doesn't just plague yaoi and yuri. It's everywhere in shoujo/romance/anime in general. At least in this title (so far, who knows) I don't see any deliberate sexual harassment taken for jokes. The way they handled the kiss scene was better than it could have been. (example- I see Gakuen Alice in your favorites. There were tons of gross things happening to 10 y.o Mikan in there.)
Oct 18, 2018 3:59 PM
Jun 2013
zaverix said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

>complains about nonconsent
>one of her favorite characters is Ikuto Tsukuyomi
Oct 19, 2018 9:39 AM

Mar 2017
An adaptation doesn't necessarily get the same score as the source material.
Oct 19, 2018 5:47 PM

Oct 2015
Because most people don't rate a show before it's finished; a larger portion of the people that do are the kind who watch EVERY currently-airing show, and then drop most of them after 2-3 episodes and give them low ratings. That negatively impacts the ratings for almost all currently-airing series.
Oct 20, 2018 1:21 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Another common factor is that anime has a much wider audience in the sense that people just jump into shows (especially seasonals) without much research or investment just because everyone else is, even if it might be a fairly niche series. On the contrary, a niche manga is most likely only going to be read by people actually interested in that genre since it doesn't have the same status within the community, at least outside of Japan

In other words, something as niche as yuri is primarily going to be read by yuri fans in its manga format, but for a seasonal anime such as this there is going to be a significantly larger proportion of general non-yuri fans that picked up the show simply because why not, and thus won't end up fanboying over it to the same extent as easily, which on a global scale will drag the score down a bit relative to its manga counterpart. Here's a good question though; what should actually be considered the more credible score in that case? Something rated by a wider audience or something rated by its main target audience? There are arguments for either side

Of course there are numerous other reasons for why an anime adaptation might be lower rated as well: cut content, poor production value, rushing, being a lackluster adaptation in general, as well as the simple fact that the show is still airing and thus has not had its 1/5 rule cut yet (which almost always boosts the score a bit when the series ends). Not saying any of that is necessarily true with this particular anime since I haven't read its source material but those things happen sometimes (quite often really)
Oct 27, 2018 2:46 PM

Jun 2015
changelog said:
Shows like Citrus have basically set this image of yuri being a genre where a straight girl is perpetually assaulted by a lesbian until they're both lesbian.

What kind of shit were you on to think that was the case with Citrus? Yuzu had feelings for Mei long before the first assault.
Dec 2, 2018 4:35 AM

Mar 2012
Takamura-sama said:
changelog said:

Citrus was amazing stfu.

Citrus was one of the worst show I've ever seen.
And for bisexual&gay people it was even more a garbage shit.
One of the worst writing ever, cheap&cliche.
I check only the first episode of Yagate but it's far better.
Dec 2, 2018 6:27 AM
Nov 2018
I'm pretty sure it'll go up once the show ends,
take Houseki no Kuni for example. it started with a 7.00, near the end of the show it had around 7.57, and now it has an 8.46 score. I think people's opinion just change a lot by the end of the show, cuz it's Yuri people might have precompsumtions about it like how HNK was in CG.
Dec 2, 2018 7:39 AM

May 2012
Because both are overrated. Manga is just more overrated

Citrus is my far the best Yuri anime this year without any rival
Dec 2, 2018 12:01 PM

Aug 2017
thepath said:
Because both are overrated. Manga is just more overrated

Citrus is my far the best Yuri anime this year without any rival

I disagree with you about the manga, it has great character development and non-standard genre tropes that I personally did not expect from it.

Anyway, there are other yuri animes out there besides Citrus and Yagate Kimi Ni Naru :-]
Asagao to Kase-san, the OVA adaptation of Kase-san series, is probably the most heartwarming yuri anime out there, and I would argue the best out of all the three big yuri anime adaptations of 2018. It has much better animation than Citrus (no CG crowds, warm, almost painting-like colors) and just serves better as an adaptation, taking material from various manga volumes without damaging the story and its message. Citrus, however, is flawed due to being an incomplete adaptation which will probably never see a sequel.
Dec 2, 2018 12:09 PM
Dec 2018
Because MAL pubescents are unable to watch anything that lacks an explosion or Boobs.
Dec 2, 2018 3:09 PM

Jun 2014
Tenderizer17 said:

EDIT 2: My complete lack of faith in MAL scores has led me to watch the first episode of everything. I SINCERELY RECOMMEND AGAINST THAT, but I more strongly recommend against taking MAL scores seriously. Even the "if it scores below 7.0, it's garbage" rule (which I have long believed in) has proven not to be viable.

Any notable mention of anime below 7.0 that isn't garbage? I'm genuinely curious since most of the show I saw under 7 were actually garbage, would be nice to see an exception outside the rule.

---------------------------------
As for why this show is lower rated than the manga? Probably because a lot less watcher are watching it since it isn't licensed by crunchyroll, a lot of watcher doesn't score before it ends and probably a lot of seasonal watcher that tried it didn't like it.

There's a lot of variable possible but it shouldn't damper your own enjoyment of the show.
Dec 2, 2018 4:45 PM
Jun 2016
Thai777 said:
Tenderizer17 said:

Any notable mention of anime below 7.0 that isn't garbage? I'm genuinely curious since most of the show I saw under 7 were actually garbage, would be nice to see an exception outside the rule.
At the time of writing it, some of my favourite anime from my plan to watch list has a score below 7. Love Tyrant didn't have a single good idea aside from it's first episode, Gi(a)rlish Number ended in a very boring way, Samurai Flamenco ended multiple times but still kept going long past when it should've stopped, Kuma Miko had all it's good jokes concentrated in the first episode and Mayoiga ... it's complicated.

The only decent anime with scores below 7 were ones I had already seen at the time. Sekaisuru KADO was an anime I stopped watching partway through as per the recommendation of literally everyone (I went with 8 episodes but everyone seems to be saying 10 episodes). Eromanga-sensei is quite an entertaining experience aswell. Aiura is also pretty short and entertaining.

Aside from the three above, I recommend the first 10 episodes of Samurai Flamenco and the first episodes of Kuma Miko and Love Tyrant (as well as that of Mitsudomoe and Gugure! Kokkuri-san). There's also a short film called Keifuku-san and Blood C is a pretty fun experience. If you're feeling especially adventurous, consider Mayoiga (another anime with a first episode alone that's better than the series, but the series itself is not too bad).
Dec 2, 2018 10:27 PM

Jun 2014
Tenderizer17 said:
Thai777 said:

At the time of writing it, some of my favourite anime from my plan to watch list has a score below 7. Love Tyrant didn't have a single good idea aside from it's first episode, Gi(a)rlish Number ended in a very boring way, Samurai Flamenco ended multiple times but still kept going long past when it should've stopped, Kuma Miko had all it's good jokes concentrated in the first episode and Mayoiga ... it's complicated.

The only decent anime with scores below 7 were ones I had already seen at the time. Sekaisuru KADO was an anime I stopped watching partway through as per the recommendation of literally everyone (I went with 8 episodes but everyone seems to be saying 10 episodes). Eromanga-sensei is quite an entertaining experience aswell. Aiura is also pretty short and entertaining.

Aside from the three above, I recommend the first 10 episodes of Samurai Flamenco and the first episodes of Kuma Miko and Love Tyrant (as well as that of Mitsudomoe and Gugure! Kokkuri-san). There's also a short film called Keifuku-san and Blood C is a pretty fun experience. If you're feeling especially adventurous, consider Mayoiga (another anime with a first episode alone that's better than the series, but the series itself is not too bad).

Hm I was wondering more about an anime that was actually decent throughout the whole anime instead of having part of them being good, I'll keep some of those anime in mind though thanks.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yagate Kimi ni Naru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2018

199 by Worsethansoap »»
Mar 24, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Yagate Kimi ni Naru Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2018

246 by rieeya »»
Feb 28, 11:16 PM

Poll: » Yagate Kimi ni Naru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2018

89 by CeliaOffcial »»
Jan 22, 3:05 AM

» anime or manga

kotosugu - Oct 12, 2023

17 by Atsunome »»
Jan 10, 8:02 PM

Poll: » Yagate Kimi ni Naru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2018

111 by Kimsowon2000 »»
Jan 1, 10:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.