Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 13, 2018 9:50 PM

Aug 2013
Did Trigger forget to add background music in this show? It's really weird that in two chapters I barely heard any music except for the battle sequences.
"Doubting everything that you take on... That is very important. Open your own eyes, clear out your ears, and look and listen to the world... And think using your own brain. After you've doubted everything, there is a possibility of something real to believe in. To believe in something, doubt everything."

Oct 13, 2018 10:20 PM
Jun 2016
I love how they pretty much aknwoledge they are ripping off ultraman hehe :>
Oct 13, 2018 10:33 PM

Apr 2014
I wonder how long people are going to say stuff like "wow so many Ultraman references" or "this show reminds me of Ultraman!" Anyways, I enjoyed this. The villain girl seems kind of annoying, but I also have a feeling she won't be the main villain of the series. I also actually enjoy the CGI animation, which is weird because normally I hate that kind of stuff. The samurai dude was pretty fun too, but I suspect that there will be more to him as the series goes on as well.

Overall, I like this series so far. It's nice and simple, yet still interesting. I think I'm enjoying it more than Jojo part 5, which is the other series I'm watching this season.
Oct 13, 2018 10:52 PM
Jan 2016
For all those people that say this "reminds me of ultraman" or "ultraman copycat", gridman is like a spinoff of ultraman and they were made by the same producer. There was also a live action tv show of it back in the early 90s.

As for the anime itself, I like the story so far, the characters, and the cgi is good compare to other Japanese cgi. I'm look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Current rating 7/10.
Oct 13, 2018 11:39 PM
Nov 2017
ade-pewe said:
HereticHunter said:
Okay then, I'm going to put this here and I'll leave

Gridman is an Ultraman Confirmed

Gridman was already ultraman since the beginning
http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Denkou_Choujin_Gridman
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

I grew up with the original Ultraman, and that cut brought back so many memories. So much awesome.

This is a Tsuburaya show way before even a whiff of Trigger comes into play.
Oct 14, 2018 12:31 AM

Jul 2014
fuusen_gum said:
A few hours ago, Gridman 2 got into rank 1 on japan twitter trending topic, following with Goblin Slayer on 2nd and SAO on 4th, https://twitter.com/Masayoshi_Oishi/status/1051161324137267201

Really shows how much cultural difference changes one's perception and interest in a show. I wonder if Gridman would be scoring higher on mal of western audiences had been exposed to more Tsuburaya shows.
Oct 14, 2018 12:42 AM

Aug 2018
I wrote an early review (edit took it down too early), coming from a 48 year old that use to wake up to Science Ninja Team Gatchaman aka "Battle of the Planets" and Maguma Taishi aka "The Space Giants". I loved the homage that SSSS.Gridman is playing to the old tokusatsu shows, where actors in rubber suits threw around other actors in rubber suits. For those yelling Ultraman rip-off check your sources, Tsuburaya Productions made Ultraman, Special Agent Gridman, and are partners for SSSS.Gridman.

Overall I am enjoying a trip to my childhood, complete with villains without a cause, and hopefully overreaction, slapstick and "My hero" cliches.
rastillOct 14, 2018 12:55 AM
Oct 14, 2018 1:59 AM

May 2018
Well, Akane's crazy. What else do you expect from somone who patterns her wardrobe after Shattered Glass Optimus Prime.

Enjoyed this episode too! The fact that those killed are retgoned is very interesting.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Oct 14, 2018 4:23 AM

Apr 2012
Noumu said:

Welp, this explains the last part of Darling in the FranXX.

The original move :D In any case, I am surprised at the disclosure of Akane as one of the main villains, especially if taken into account as official material and yuri-ish ED tried to portray them as best friends with main girl.
Oct 14, 2018 5:38 AM

Feb 2014
So nostalgic to have Gridman. This show feels rater good like a cheese through butter.

The original move :D In any case, I am surprised at the disclosure of Akane as one of the main villains, especially if taken into account as official material and yuri-ish ED tried to portray them as best friends with main girl.
[/quote]
ED sequence is kinda cute.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 14, 2018 5:39 AM

Dec 2009
Expecting trigger to go full Evangelion on this AGAIN and turn it into some kind of deconstruction of Tokusatsu.
From the first episode it's been laying some elements for the future while making light of them, or maybe i'm reading too much into it.
Oct 14, 2018 6:14 AM

Apr 2008
Akane might be a psychopath who revels in hurting - and potentially killing - others for absolutely petty reasons, but I can't bear myself to hate her. She acts like an actual teenager would in her years, making her a strangely relatable character, with the exception of holding destructive powers in her hands. I hope she has a backstory that makes her even more interesting.
gomennasaiOct 14, 2018 6:18 AM
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Oct 14, 2018 6:19 AM

Oct 2013
This is getting more and more interesting.

Loved the classic mecha poses and the samurai guy.
Oct 14, 2018 6:25 AM

Nov 2012
It was a pretty good episode.
Oct 14, 2018 7:11 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Pretty solid. Like how they build up the atmosphere and the almost total lack of background music. Gives a raw feel that's very dissonant to when the mecha kick in.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 14, 2018 9:26 AM

Jan 2013
Grim1952 said:
Expecting trigger to go full Evangelion on this AGAIN and turn it into some kind of deconstruction of Tokusatsu.
From the first episode it's been laying some elements for the future while making light of them, or maybe i'm reading too much into it.
You mean homage? Because that's what Evangelion literally is.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 14, 2018 9:32 AM
Jan 2016
I just could not help but be disappointed by this anime so far. It had huge potential to be good, but it's just not there. The writing was kind of shaky this episode, & the visual quality dipped as well, & even more jarring switching from CGI to hand-drawn, which showed how the staff were not confident enough with the CGI. It's unfortunate since there were moments of brilliance, just like the 1st episode. They better improve the quality for the next episode.

Farabeuf said:
Pretty solid. Like how they build up the atmosphere and the almost total lack of background music. Gives a raw feel that's very dissonant to when the mecha kick in.

Is this for the 1st episode or the 2nd episode?

dc22 said:
Loved the classic mecha poses and the samurai guy.

Which poses?

Grim1952 said:

I can see that. Though I expect them to keep fumbling attempting to balance between deconstruction & still keeping so much of the Tokusatsu feel, just like the last 2 episodes. The staff just could not commit to one over the other.

EDIT: Replacing the letter "f" to "r."
AServantOct 14, 2018 9:46 AM
Oct 14, 2018 10:17 AM

Mar 2018
Akane a cute and crazy one
ED was good
Oct 14, 2018 10:20 AM

Jan 2009
fuusen_gum said:
A few hours ago, Gridman 2 got into rank 1 on japan twitter trending topic, following with Goblin Slayer on 2nd and SAO on 4th, https://twitter.com/Masayoshi_Oishi/status/1051161324137267201

its awesome to see that its popular in japan
Oct 14, 2018 10:53 AM

May 2016
I don't know, the series has potential and the writing does have its strong moments but the problem I have with it right now is its severe lack of impact. It's set up well enough but it just never hits you, at least for me. Nothing in these first two episodes has given any reason to care about this anime. I'll give it another two episodes but if nothing changes I'm going to have to drop it.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Oct 14, 2018 3:18 PM
Mar 2017
The school is as if nothing had happened and nobody remembers the attack of the Kaiju
Shou's reasoning is quite accurate, the Kaijus and extraterrestrials are very common in this type of heroes genre
The appearance of Samurai Calibur is very anticlimatic, a great entry fails due to an error with the door.
Rikka is afraid of being the only one who keeps the memories of people who disappear, I think what she fears most is that something similar will happen to her closest friends.
The battle with this new Kaiju was just as good as the battle of the first episode, besides Gridman can use Gridman Claibur, the design of the sword is quite decent. Again nobody remembers the incident with this new Kaiju, what is this "reset" that happens? and the most worrying thing is that now Akane is looking at Yuuta, Shou and Rikka, which is quite dangerous.
Akane is the one who creates the Kaijus for the villain and moreover she was the one who murdered the volleyball club with the help of the Kaiju, now my question is, did she kill the girls in the volleyball club for the sandwich incident? ladies and gentlemen we have a homicidal sociopath as a villain, quite cruel and out of control, she destroys half of the city just to kill a useless teacher, the good thing is that her plan fails.
The Opening is pretty cool, is according to the theme of the heroic giant robot, sounds quite heroic, the Ending is quite smooth, unbalances a bit after the battle against the Kaiju, but it is quite good and the visuals give us some clues between the relationship between Akane and Rikka (at least that's what I can conclude, personal opinion)
Oct 14, 2018 3:55 PM

Nov 2016
This might become my top underdog show this season. The cheesy OST during the action sequences is fitting so well and the plot is also more interesting than originally expected. Definitely intrigued so far.

Like the theme songs too.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 14, 2018 6:24 PM
Sep 2018
One curious thing, it looks like most of the designs are heavily inspired on Transformers, more specifically in those of Shattered Glass

Oct 14, 2018 11:16 PM

Jun 2015
I'm totally hype by Gridman, the direction, the characters, the animation, THE FUCKING OP.
I Love it
Oct 15, 2018 12:06 AM

Jan 2013
Prime375 said:
One curious thing, it looks like most of the designs are heavily inspired on Transformers, more specifically in those of Shattered Glass

Was going to mention this, pretty much every character's design is based off TF:SG.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 15, 2018 3:43 AM

May 2016
The opening and ending themes are a little underwhelming, but other than that, it was a great episode.
Oct 15, 2018 6:07 AM

Mar 2016
Ehm... Nope. I tried to like this thing but it's really boring, there's no need to wait for the third episode, I'm dropping it already.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Oct 15, 2018 7:29 AM

May 2015
That's so cool and awesome... if I were an 8-year old, that is.
The story just feels too simplistic, but I really like the quality of the show. Also I watched it on 1.5x so in reality it is kinda slow and boring.
But I'll keep watching, cause none of it bothers me too much, at least there isn't anything annoying yet. Oh, and Samurai looks interesting.
Oct 15, 2018 9:49 AM

Mar 2014
Well okay not bad at all, still cannot like the MC but it was surprising to find out that the cheerful girl was the creator of the kaiju and the I like that twist though
Oct 15, 2018 3:16 PM

Oct 2014

Sm0ggy said:
Did Trigger forget to add background music in this show? It's really weird that in two chapters I barely heard any music except for the battle sequences.

Trigger does the whole "no bg music" to create an uncanny valley effect (making it look real even though we know it isn't Human), Giving us an air of threat/unease as Still standing Kaijus watch over the City, waiting to Strike.
Oct 15, 2018 10:33 PM

Mar 2009
This show is a hell of a lot of fun.
Oct 16, 2018 6:04 AM

Aug 2015
Alexis is the best. With such a spooky, over-the-top evil design they give him a fun-loving personality and it just goes so well with an immature high schooler as the second villain. He's obviously condoning and supporting her (literally) monstrous tantrums. His voice is also great. Looks like I'm gonna love this show.

Oct 16, 2018 6:54 AM

May 2013
So Mashu Alter is a snowflake lol
That Rikka though HNGGG
That step up in art and animation is really cool
Oct 16, 2018 11:43 AM
Apr 2018
Akane best girl,fight me
Oct 16, 2018 11:59 AM

Oct 2017
fuusen_gum said:

You have NO idea how happy this makes me, I really want this show to do well and instill a bit of new life in the mecha genre (while technically not being mecha, but hey, I'll take it!)

Anyway, quick second episode impressions!

I was surprised about Akane being shown off as the villain so soon. I had my suspects about her, but not to the point of lingering on it for too long. I also love how the evil guy behind the screen seems to "play along", almost as if he's just pretending to be interested in every single thing Akane has to say. He's deliberately using her, but I like this trait.

Samurai Calibur instantly became one of my fave characters just for that bumping into doors gag alone, hilarious execution.

I love how the anime is keeping this mysterious atmosphere up, showing its cards with a very clear and engaging pacing.

As for the final battle...It's kinda funny how I've been watching Exkaiser for the first time this past month, so I instantly recognized the obari pose used in this episode. Very good battle too, I can already guess that Akane is gonna try to come up with better and better counter-measures each time, which will up the danger of the battles.

Can't wait for the next one, I didn't see a mecha series like this in years and I couldn't be happier about it!
Oct 16, 2018 12:53 PM

Nov 2008
Sm0ggy said:
Yeah, and this really makes the show for me. Might be my favourite way to present an encounter with the supernatural, really.

I mean, how would you feel if you woke up with amnesia and were told to turn into a robot and fight kaiju while the town keeps going like nothing happened? Me, I'd have no idea what to feel. Not having any music to set the tone is exactly what sets the tone perfectly.
Oct 16, 2018 3:00 PM

Oct 2017
Nyuu3 said:
Sm0ggy said:
Yeah, and this really makes the show for me. Might be my favourite way to present an encounter with the supernatural, really.

I mean, how would you feel if you woke up with amnesia and were told to turn into a robot and fight kaiju while the town keeps going like nothing happened? Me, I'd have no idea what to feel. Not having any music to set the tone is exactly what sets the tone perfectly.

I didn't think about this, but looking back you're perfectly right. The lack of music puts an emphasis over the "realistic" parts of the series, giving them a feel of eery and mysterious normality, while also making the "mecha" scenes more powerful, since that's when the music kicks in and the episode goes full over the top.
Oct 16, 2018 11:41 PM

Oct 2008
Another awesome episode!
Samurai Calibur to the assist! that was cool!
5/5.

Oct 17, 2018 12:20 AM

Sep 2011
Raikiri29 said:
Gridman and Kaijuu are too much mecha and I don't really like it.
Of course, I know they have to modernize Ultraman but it's too much in my opinion.

It's not Ultraman damn it. It's Gridman. Which is own show from the 90s. Seperate from Ultraman. Learn your shit.
Oct 17, 2018 12:21 AM

Sep 2011
DaCraziGuy said:
Bad CGI, clunky animation and boring characters. Not for me. Another things I don't like but are very subjective is, super robot<real robot and it's an episodic type of show.

I wonder if Darling left trigger in a debt because I'm surprised of how bad it looks, first time I complain about that in a trigger show.

There's no robot here though?
Oct 17, 2018 12:30 AM

Sep 2011
Big step up from episode 1. Definitley feeling some hype now and Akane is hecking cute.
Oct 17, 2018 2:07 AM
Aug 2015
Is that Atsuko on the left
With a world keep being attacked by Kaiju, no wonder she moved to Luna Nova :)

Minh_TuOct 17, 2018 2:11 AM
Oct 17, 2018 10:04 AM

Aug 2018
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
DaCraziGuy said:
Bad CGI, clunky animation and boring characters. Not for me. Another things I don't like but are very subjective is, super robot<real robot and it's an episodic type of show.

I wonder if Darling left trigger in a debt because I'm surprised of how bad it looks, first time I complain about that in a trigger show.

Gridman is a robot, a super robot. That is why mecha is one of the genres.
Oct 17, 2018 7:03 PM

Nov 2017
this episode remind me of :
Now Loading.....
Oct 17, 2018 7:09 PM

Sep 2011
DaCraziGuy said:
Red_Ranger_Wien said:

Gridman in both the original toku series and this anime is not a robot. He is an alien lifeform that combines with the protagonist to create an Ultraman like entity. He is no robot.
Oct 17, 2018 8:03 PM

Aug 2018
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
DaCraziGuy said:

Gridman in both the original toku series and this anime is not a robot. He is an alien lifeform that combines with the protagonist to create an Ultraman like entity. He is no robot.

You are kidding me right? It has all the elements of a super robot, with that logic the EVAs from evangelion aren't robots either. They look like robots and act like robots, you can say what "in theory" is but clearly has all the features of a super robot... smh
Oct 17, 2018 10:34 PM

Sep 2011
DaCraziGuy said:
Red_Ranger_Wien said:

You are kidding me right? It has all the elements of a super robot, with that logic the EVAs from evangelion aren't robots either. They look like robots and act like robots, you can say what "in theory" is but clearly has all the features of a super robot... smh

There is a clear difference where yes technically the EVAs are biological creatures so technically not "robots" but they are still piloted by people.

Gridman and Ultraman are just straight up people transforming into giants. It'd be like calling Antman a super robot.
Oct 17, 2018 10:44 PM

Aug 2018
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
DaCraziGuy said:

There is a clear difference where yes technically the EVAs are biological creatures so technically not "robots" but they are still piloted by people.

Gridman and Ultraman are just straight up people transforming into giants. It'd be like calling Antman a super robot.

Actually EVAs doesn't need to have a pilot, they can act on their own or with the "autopilot".

But really dude... the show represents all that makes a super robot show. From the format of the show, to the plot and battles, all it has is what makes the genre. I don't get why you don't get it.
Oct 17, 2018 11:05 PM

Sep 2011
DaCraziGuy said:
Red_Ranger_Wien said:

Actually EVAs doesn't need to have a pilot, they can act on their own or with the "autopilot".

But really dude... the show represents all that makes a super robot show. From the format of the show, to the plot and battles, all it has is what makes the genre. I don't get why you don't get it.

I don't understand how you don't get it. Like, I get not many people here have seen the original Gridman or maybe even Ultraman but that's all this is. It's a dude becoming a giant warrior to fight monsters. Gridman isn't a robot or a mech. It's like calling Ultraman a super robot show or Antman a super robot movie.
Oct 18, 2018 2:55 AM

Dec 2015
Those feet are worth watching. Also her personality seems nice. :D

Also I like the style. In episode 1 when the main talked to Gridman and then it switched to the two others and they heard just him talking because they could not see Gridman.

Then at some points it feels like there is less animated. (Like "jumping"/choppy.) The stuff with the background music has already been mentioned. I like this - I think it is in purpose to generate a unique style.

While I liked Kill la Kill (my score: 8/10) for the action (plot not that good) and disliked Kiznaiver because less action and the plot was crap and chars boring (my score: 6/10) I really like this show so far. Feels like an 8/10 for now.

Don't know any other major shows of Trigger to compare but I'm "careful" with this studio. (Same for Bones.) Not like MAPPA where I just try to watch everything cause I loved a few of their past stuff.

Might get worse later ... I hope they don't "try too much" and keep it more simple. Would be better.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2018

103 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 22, 10:24 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

390 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2018

83 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 7:37 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

90 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 6:47 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

113 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 12:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.