Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 6, 2018 11:58 AM
Jan 2018
Batora07 said:

This one in the opening is really fun, too :p
https://imgur.com/a/PCpinbt
It mocks the "falling from the sky in opening like a boss" anime trope haha

Hahaha I also saw the "extremely dramatic punch" trope in the opening (anipunch?)
Oct 6, 2018 12:29 PM

May 2010

MOB_ABOMINATOR said:
YorukaWaifu said:
Meh, a generic battle-shounen for kids. I was expecting something better.

Good thing that we have Goblin Slayer and SAO this evening.
welp that sums up your taste.

third degree BURRRRN! :D
Oct 6, 2018 12:55 PM

Apr 2016
To be honest, the first episode reminded me of black clover. Still gonna give it the 3 episode rule
Oct 6, 2018 1:10 PM
Sep 2017
Thehydragonmastr said:
To be honest, the first episode reminded me of black clover. Still gonna give it the 3 episode rule
Ptdr, genre tu juges un animé en 3 épisodes ? Jamais vu ça, la moindre des choses, c'est de visionner l'oeuvre en intégralité avant de prononcer un jugement, du grand n'importe quoi
Oct 6, 2018 1:11 PM

Feb 2015
In not a huge fan of Shounen series but this episode showed a bit of potential. There are some nice design ideas here but as with most Shounen it's hampered by generic character traits. MC want to get stronger, save the world etc. It's all been done a million times before.

I just hope the show offers enough to rise above utter garbage like Boruto and Black Clover.
Oct 6, 2018 1:18 PM
May 2016
this show is sexy af
Oct 6, 2018 1:22 PM
Sep 2017
Crashmatt said:
In not a huge fan of Shounen series but this episode showed a bit of potential. There are some nice design ideas here but as with most Shounen it's hampered by generic character traits. MC want to get stronger, save the world etc. It's all been done a million times before.

I just hope the show offers enough to rise above utter garbage like Boruto and Black Clover.
The original manga speak about : racism, xenophobia, islamophobia (the autor saw islamophobia when he was young), ecology, capitalism, social segregation and political corruption, and that only in the 10th volumes which are actually released. It's really not a generic shounen
Oct 6, 2018 1:23 PM

Feb 2015
JugoKun said:
Crashmatt said:

The original manga speak about : racism, xenophobia, islamophobia (the autor saw islamophobia when he was young), ecology, capitalism, social segregation and political corruption, and that only in the 10th volumes which are actually released. It's really not a generic shounen

That's good to hear, hopefully it can rise above the trash.
Oct 6, 2018 1:32 PM

Dec 2009
JugoKun said:
Crashmatt said:

I agree, also this first episode fails to show to the viewer how Seth is different than any other shonen protagonist because they removed the "bad character traits" and humour by toning down the events happening. In the manga, in the first scene he beat the hell out of the cows because he thougt they were nemeses (he has a problem to recognize animals and since the have the exact same colour pattern and the peasants nearby were all sleping he thought of an attack)... instead in the anime he's "infuriating" them by accident. Also he break the egg of the nemesis on purpose just so he could beat it faster...
Seth also don't want to be the best sorcerer at all (and the anime states it but it's totally the opposite of what he really thinks and say in the manga, that's why we're pretty pissed by this first episode). Seth don't give a shit about being the best he just wants to stop the dropping of Nemeses... but yeah I agree, none of this is shown in this first episode and that sucks...
Oct 6, 2018 1:34 PM
Sep 2017
Crashmatt said:
JugoKun said:

That's good to hear, hopefully it can rise above the trash.
The first arc which will come soon is the Rumble Town arc. In rumble Town, there are many immigrants from the south of the Radiant's world. They're Muslim ethnicity, and they're lock up in a poor district. They're accused of all the misfortunes which happens to Rumble Town (for exemple : the unemployment etc ...) All of that come in the 2nd volumes. The first episode adapt half of the first chapter. I do not say more about that, but you'll see, it's a very engaged manga. Just see the slogant of the manga : "We don't born human, we becoming it" (translate from French)
Oct 6, 2018 1:36 PM

Sep 2017
It's generic in every aspects. And why do you have to make every adult in the town a complete idiot? It's such a lazy plot device to get us sympathise with the protagonist.
Oct 6, 2018 1:36 PM

Dec 2009
@JugoKun : C'est du spoil ça vu que ça dépasse le 1er chapitre, tu devrais peut-être le mettre dans une balise [ spoiler ] [ / spoiler] (sans les espaces)
Oct 6, 2018 1:45 PM
Sep 2017
Batora07 said:
JugoKun said:

I agree, also this first episode fails to show to the viewer how Seth is different than any other shonen protagonist because they removed the "bad character traits" and humour by toning down the events happening. In the manga, in the first scene he beat the hell out of the cows because he thougt they were nemeses (he has a problem to recognize animals and since the have the exact same colour pattern and the peasants nearby were all sleping he thought of an attack)... instead in the anime he's "infuriating" them by accident. Also he break the egg of the nemesis on purpose just so he could beat it faster...
Seth also don't want to be the best sorcerer at all (and the anime states it but it's totally the opposite of what he really thinks and say in the manga, that's why we're pretty pissed by this first episode). Seth don't give a shit about being the best he just wants to stop the dropping of Nemeses... but yeah I agree, none of this is shown in this first episode and that sucks...
I agree, specially with that scene in the 4th volume, where a sorcer challange Seth to see who is the best Sorcerer, but Seth said to this guy :"You're all ready to beat you to see who is the stronger sorcerer, see who is stronger than me, it's not my scene. Go fight Nemisi surrounded by panic people, see sorcerer get killed by the Nemesis, i didn't do this for competition, i don't give a shit about competition" (Translated by myself) and somebody say "Us too, we want to be the bests Sorcerers" and Seth answer "I don't want to be the best Sorcerer"
Oct 6, 2018 1:46 PM
Sep 2017
Batora07 said:
@JugoKun : C'est du spoil ça vu que ça dépasse le 1er chapitre, tu devrais peut-être le mettre dans une balise [ spoiler ] [ / spoiler] (sans les espaces)
CImer je savais pas comment faire :/
Oct 6, 2018 1:52 PM
Sep 2017
The manga Seth is VERY more mature than the anime Seth
Oct 6, 2018 2:00 PM

Mar 2010
this kinda reminds me of black clover for some reason
the people of the village are ignorant..
Oct 6, 2018 2:12 PM

Dec 2016
Gotta support it simply because of it's background, and on top of that I can always go for a solid shounen anime lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 6, 2018 2:14 PM

Jun 2012
Pretty crazy how french users took over this topic. Calmez-vous les gars, ça reste un site US.
Oct 6, 2018 2:35 PM
Jun 2016
As a person who hasn't touched the manga, it's looking kind of... generic so far. Typical shounen MC with a run-of-the-mill personality and weird voice (this can be a good thing though, reminds me of Gon from HxH).

However, this is just the first episode, so I'll reserve my judgment for later on. If it doesn't pick up after 10 episodes, I'm out.
Oct 6, 2018 2:54 PM

Dec 2009
Weebston said:
As a person who hasn't touched the manga, it's looking kind of... generic so far. Typical shounen MC with a run-of-the-mill personality and weird voice (this can be a good thing though, reminds me of Gon from HxH).

However, this is just the first episode, so I'll reserve my judgment for later on. If it doesn't pick up after 10 episodes, I'm out.

And you're right about that, that's why we're pretty pissed as manga-readers, they totally failed to convey the personality of Seth in this first episode and removed what made him fun and special from the manga :/
I also had the "generic feeling" when I read the first volume of the manga, so it'll probably keep this feeling for a few more episodes I guess.
Oct 6, 2018 3:08 PM

May 2015
I mean, it's fun. I don't know anything about the source material and I wasn't even planning on watching this, but I decided to try it out because I really enjoy shounen anime centred around magic. Even though it's pretty generic it's not like I didn't enjoy it. Well, you should never judge a shounen by it's first episode, so I'm interested to see where it goes.

♡ artist
サコ
Oct 6, 2018 3:13 PM
Feb 2012
ok so this is the forgettable shounen anime of the season, that in a few years time no one will remember it
like Houshin Engi, elDLIVE, Sousei no Onmyouji, there's always a few of them every year
Oct 6, 2018 3:21 PM

Dec 2009
ahneeme said:
ok so this is the forgettable shounen anime of the season, that in a few years time no one will remember it
like Houshin Engi, elDLIVE, Sousei no Onmyouji, there's always a few of them every year

I'm always amazed at how quick people are to judge (other people, art, series)... what's funnier is that it's exactly what Radiant is about and criticizes : judging without the will to know more...
Also remember that's only the first episode, if you made the same assumptions when the first episode of Hunter x Hunter (2011) and One Piece were released, well... you kinda missed awesome shonen and stories just because of that mindstate.
Batora07Oct 6, 2018 4:47 PM
Oct 6, 2018 4:04 PM

Dec 2009

damn rereading the first chapter and I already laughed way too much compared to this first episode (that Ialso rewatched)... why make an anime adaptation if it is to censor and tone down what's making the source material funny and original... <__< Really hoping it will be more faithfull after the 5 first episodes (which are said to differ from the manga by a facebook post from the author :/)
Batora07Oct 6, 2018 4:19 PM
Oct 6, 2018 4:38 PM

Oct 2018
ahneeme said:

I actually just made this acount to thank you because I read Houshin Engi in my local library as a kid but never finished it and couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called, so I was unable to read it again. Didn't know it was made into an anime though.

Also, eh, even if it ends up forgotten in a few years that's fine, there are so many animes coming out that most are bound to fade away. It's already a big achievement for the author and I'm happy for him.
Apr 2015
BlackFIFA19 said:
that the guy is voiced by a girl bothers me alot because you really notice it :(

yeah me too feel the same
her voice is great but not for teenage boy
Mar 2013
Batora07 said:

damn rereading the first chapter and I already laughed way too much compared to this first episode (that Ialso rewatched)... why make an anime adaptation if it is to censor and tone down what's making the source material funny and original... <__< Really hoping it will be more faithfull after the 5 first episodes (which are said to differ from the manga by a facebook post from the author :/)

It would have been better to have an adaptation of Radiant from Ankama, they would have respected more the jokes and general humor, the setting of the universe... but well we can dream.
Deiceve your other self !
Deceive the world !
That is what you must do to reach Steins;Gate.
Good luck.

El Psy Congroo
Oct 6, 2018 4:45 PM

Dec 2009
AfriKaAnS said:
Batora07 said:

It would have been better to have an adaptation of Radiant from Ankama, they would have respected more the jokes and general humor, the setting of the universe... but well we can dream.

I agree but that's also a good advertising for the manga to have an anime adaptation being animated by japanese's studio... Also even if I'm sad that the jokes and Seth is failed as a character I enjoyed the episode, and am eagerly waiting to see how (bad ?) the following episodes will be faithfull :p
Oct 6, 2018 4:49 PM

Oct 2018
AfriKaAnS said:
Batora07 said:

The problem is that Ankama is so shit at handling funds that I wouldn't even trust them with baguette money.
Oct 6, 2018 4:49 PM

Nov 2016
This has all the ingredients I love.

Unfortunately the first episode still didn't manage to catch me 100%, but there's a lot of potential.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 6, 2018 4:53 PM

Dec 2009
Lachiesis said:

The problem is that Ankama is so shit at handling funds that I wouldn't even trust them with baguette money.

The sad and harsh truth :/
Oct 6, 2018 4:58 PM
Apr 2015
JugoKun said:
There is one thing that disrupt me, it's that character of Tommy. He never appears in the manga, and here, he seems to be a Seth's friend. Seth is supposed to be a rejected kid, with no friends, but here he got a friend, i think it's a minor thing, but as a Radiant reader, it disrupt me. Other thing, which i think is more important, is the fact that Seth is training to control fantasia. Normaly, he is able to manipulate the Fantasia with bare hands, so, in the manga, he's not training to manipulate the fantasia and spells like meteor drops etc ... I want to see more episodes, to say if it's a good adaptation or not. For the moment, nothing alarming, the facts that i quoted only disrupt me as a Radiant manga reader, it's minor things which have no impacts on the series, so, let's see more.

I got shock to when I read the comments , In went to see chapter 1 and its lot better than the first ep
I hope they don`t keep these changes to the anime
somehow it feel that Tommy character is fan service one
I hope also they don`t make it ecchi
Oct 6, 2018 5:06 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
A pretty normal first episode for a shounen i guess. It was fine.

That voice definitly didnt fit Seth tho and annoyed me for most of the episode.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 6, 2018 5:12 PM
Dec 2017
BlackFIFA19 said:
that the guy is voiced by a girl bothers me alot because you really notice it :(
Yeah, kinda bothers me too...
Oct 6, 2018 5:26 PM

Jun 2012
Most shounen protagonists are voiced by females... Such a minor thing that seems literally everyone here is bothered with for some reason.
Oct 6, 2018 5:27 PM

Dec 2009
aoi0sora said:

For Tommy I really don't get why they added him. He's only there to tease us that the society discriminates the sorcerers... But we learn that pretty soon so I'm really thinking that they added him so that Seth doesn't appear to talk to himself for 20 minutes like he does in the manga, and that is also one of his character trait X).
Also don't worry in the manga in 10 volumes there hasn't been even one ecchi scene... But I can't guarantee there won't be one on this adaptation.
Oct 6, 2018 5:32 PM

Oct 2018
Batora07 said:
aoi0sora said:

For Tommy I really don't get why they added him. He's only there to tease us that the society discriminates the sorcerers... But we learn that pretty soon so I'm really thinking that they added him so that Seth doesn't appear to talk to himself for 20 minutes like he does in the manga, and that is also one of his character trait X).
Also don't worry in the manga in 10 volumes there hasn't been even one ecchi scene... But I can't guarantee there won't be one on this adaptation.

The only kinda "ecchi" thing that I could think of is that passing joke in vol... 7 I think ? where it's implied that a character goes commando under her dress (the "L'Origine du Monde" joke).
Oct 6, 2018 5:41 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This wasn't half bad....Felt very shounen too

So far I can say that the premise seems nice and the MC isn't unlikable either so I'll be sticking around to see how this'll stack up to all the classic shounen jump series out there
Oct 6, 2018 5:48 PM
Jan 2016
Dadodi said:
What was this first episode? I was expecting it to be more manga-like, but they've changed a lot of things and it's too childish, whereas the manga has a characteristic humour.

I don't know, I'm not liking this anime adaptation so far...

Agreed i read the manga straight afterwards this adaptation was really poorly executed, the MC voice is meh, the animation is okay at best and not really remarkable. They added filler character called Tommy which has no purpose ......

Unfortunately this is literally the one way continue the story as rest of the series is raw except for the first volume
Oct 6, 2018 6:06 PM

Dec 2009
Well the manga is released by viz in english since last month so there won't be too much to wait, but if you're talking about scans then yes, only the first volume has been translated too (scan And official release) so far. Also even in France only the first 8 volumes can be found in scans (out of 10 volumes released right now)
Oct 6, 2018 6:36 PM

Oct 2015
bleach meets blue exorcist meets black clover. I know it is absurd but that was my impression. It seems generic to me and nothing special about it.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 6, 2018 8:08 PM
Aug 2015
Average episode. The last scene kinda reminded me of the first accident in MHA. Hopefully the next episode will be better.
renzosparkOct 6, 2018 11:52 PM
Oct 6, 2018 8:41 PM

Jan 2008
This feels somewhat dated. Not sure if it'll hold well in this day and age. Sure didn't manage to keep my attention very long before I tabbed away, multiple times.
Oct 6, 2018 9:05 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
Well now, my first drop of the season. Couldn't even get halfway through the first episode before asking myself why I'm wasting my time even trying to watch it.
Oct 6, 2018 10:59 PM

Jan 2018
That was surprisingly really funny episode I didn't expect to like it that much now really looking forward to this series. The MC is very likable though.
Oct 6, 2018 11:33 PM
Jan 2016
Finally some good ol' fashioned shounen! And it isn't 12 episode trash either!
I got a good feeling about this show. Loved the first episode too.

Plus, the ending was done by polkadot stingray, which is pretty cool.
Oct 6, 2018 11:48 PM
Nov 2014
FuMomo-kun said:

When I was watching this, the thing I thought most was: "the manga was not made by a Japanese author or in Japan at all; that person must be so proud!"

I met him at a signing session last year in fall/winter (before the news about the anime adaptation dropped), and while he was signing my book and making a quick drawing in it, I got to ask him some questions about his work and stuff. At one point he said that he had gone to Japan recently for his work (and extended it a bit with his wife for a small vacation), I asked "oh, like with the company publishing your manga for contracts and such I guess?" and he just evaded my question while trying to suppress a huge smile and said "uh yeah something like that". I found it fishy but didn't press on, but I was secretly hoping it was for an anime adaptation... and a few weeks/months later the news dropped, my reaction was "I fucking knew it!"

evyyy said:
what did bother me with the opening though is that the orange-haired girl accompanying Seth looks younger in the beginning of the opening than she looks in the ending of the opening, is it only me?

There's a good reason for that, it's totally normal that Mélie's appearance changes a bit like that.
Oct 7, 2018 12:25 AM

Aug 2008
JugoKun said:
And all that from a the country that gave the world mother of all leftists revolutions? What could possibly go wrong... Thanks for the heads up, now I know to steer away from this piece of shit.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 7, 2018 1:47 AM

Mar 2017
Mainstream shounen. I don't see much originality in the plot. Liked the musics though. I'll stick with it to see where it goes.
Oct 7, 2018 1:52 AM

Nov 2017
Surtfield said:
Batora07 said:

This one in the opening is really fun, too :p
https://imgur.com/a/PCpinbt
It mocks the "falling from the sky in opening like a boss" anime trope haha

Hahaha I also saw the "extremely dramatic punch" trope in the opening (anipunch?)

dont forget with naruto 4th opening

bondtuxOct 7, 2018 2:15 AM
Now Loading.....
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Radiant Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2019

33 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 7, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Radiant Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2018

37 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 5, 10:51 AM

Poll: » Radiant Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

29 by dark_spirit010 »»
Mar 12, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Radiant Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2018

52 by FedeMetal »»
Oct 25, 2023 6:09 PM

Poll: » Radiant Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2018

71 by FedeMetal »»
Oct 25, 2023 9:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.