Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 21, 2018 11:26 PM

Aug 2017
I am just pissed by the fact that she was

Its gonna keep me frustrated for a few days..
XaiKunDec 21, 2018 11:35 PM
Dec 22, 2018 3:13 AM

May 2015
I liked the anime adaptation better than the live-action movie being the former more faithful to the spirit of the novel. One of my little complaints was, judging by the scenes showed during Get-along-well-kun was reading Sakura's will, that the scriptwriter of the anime didn't seem to get how the the story of the Little Prince taming the fox connected to their relationship being there perhaps not even one moment referring to that part of Exupery's novel.
IshitatesoDec 22, 2018 3:29 AM
Dec 22, 2018 4:09 PM
Apr 2016
XaiKun said:

COULD HAVE BEEN A FEW MORE YEARS EVEN. Damn it pissed me off so much...
Dec 22, 2018 4:40 PM

May 2012
Very beautiful movie I must say! This sure had a really wonderful story and while that death was quite of unexpected in terms of the story in my opinion and rather stupid/sad in another way, it was still really well laid out in this movie.

The character development especially was quite amazing, and I really loved the progression with all the characters in this story.

All in all this was a pretty lovely yet sad movie!
Dec 23, 2018 4:38 PM
Feb 2016
roflmonster said:
XaiKun said:

Definitely what I’ve been feeling after watching this. Honestly,i cant accept an ending like that.
Dec 23, 2018 4:40 PM
Apr 2016
Anguish_one7 said:
roflmonster said:

Definitely what I’ve been feeling after watching this. Honestly,i cant accept an ending like that.

I hate but love this anime movie... I have deep issues regarding living and dying, this anime made me sink deep into thought...
Dec 24, 2018 2:05 AM

Dec 2011
I was not ready for the feels.
This anime is a tragic friendship and love story.It was beautifully animated and i tear up when Sakura die even if i know it would happen.
Sad they didn't even share a kiss and nice to see how Sakura change Shiga to become more open to the world.
Dec 24, 2018 2:59 AM
Sep 2018
Can someone explain why haruki got mad at sakura in the scene at sakura's room before encountering sakura's ex.
Dec 24, 2018 8:07 PM
Dec 2017
XaiKun said:

Ikr, it would make more of an impact for her to just suddenly fall ill and die while on her way to meet him. Would have cried more if that was the case cuz the way she died was such BS. Though I guess they built up her death with all the talk about it being more dangerous lately.
Dec 25, 2018 8:00 AM

Aug 2013
Not a bad movie. Really enjoyed it. Loved the firework scene.

Dec 25, 2018 9:55 AM

Feb 2017
Pretty good stuff I guess, the art style and plot kept me up the whole movie. Not a single part of it was boring. Music was so so I guess, could have reused the OP at other scenes where they were having fun(eg. Meat grilling, fireworks.)
Dec 25, 2018 11:49 AM

Jun 2015
Welp, with some of that "foreshadowing" I somewhat saw that twist coming, but still, literally why.

Everything after was quite tedious and in-your-face, Shigatsu all over again...
Dec 26, 2018 6:05 AM

Dec 2015
i thought its kaori v.2 lol
Dec 26, 2018 8:02 AM
Jun 2016
I would say that if you look it at sakura's POV, its hella messed up. Gleefully looking forward to spend the remainder of her life with someone just for it to end in a gruesome way. Iirc, she did implied to be scared of dying even tho she fully accepts that fact.
l3akasushiDec 26, 2018 8:15 AM
Dec 26, 2018 8:44 AM

Nov 2014
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins ( i quote this from someone who quote this 1st)

This movie started with low-normal flow of story, with sakura effort in showing how beautiful and wonderful interpersonal relationship is. by asking haruki to fullfill her wishlist, accompany her, etc. and i think that's enjoyable for me looking haruki development as a social being ( because of sakura efforts and purpose on spending/doing everything as long as she can with haruki certainly).

I'm pretty sure, i really felt the emotion of joyness and sadness in there and made me sink deep into thought...

And finally in anti-climax or toward the end(including the end/epilogue), i felt the hidden gem of this movie, the message that being mixed up in the emotion while watching this amazingly beautiful and meaningful.(as quote above said)

well, since i really good at not being a tearjerker (a lil bit actually since i watch it in the cinema :D), but still this movie is greatly emotionally and has a deep wonderful message, and i could say the message might affect my dark life lel :D

well done sumika with OP,END, and the insert song. they're really beautiful.

overall everything that i said are mostly subjective from me personally, really a great movie glad i can watch it 10/10 for me.

r16fourarmDec 26, 2018 9:29 AM
Dec 26, 2018 3:08 PM

Jul 2017
@r16fourarm - The murder was actually foreshadowed at least once throughout the movie. I wouldn't call it "out of nowhere".
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Dec 26, 2018 10:33 PM

Jun 2008
XaiKun said:

I thought so at first but I think it really was just some random serial killer that was never introduced?

Having her die off screen from a random serial murderer that might have been shown on some TV program just screams lazy writing to me. It's as if the writer didn't really know how to end a story with a terminally ill young character and thought it was best to have a serial murderer kill her off instead.

I honestly thought the movie was average up to the point where this happened. It just made it all the more worse.
Dec 27, 2018 1:11 AM

Nov 2014
zamandzoe said:
@r16fourarm - The murder was actually foreshadowed at least once throughout the movie. I wouldn't call it "out of nowhere".

well, you're right about that. The murder case has been shown at the TV before and was actually foreshadowed.

sorry about my "outta nowhere" words, it just my over expressive words towards the murder that IMO felt so sudden to me ^^.
Dec 27, 2018 1:54 PM

Aug 2018
Felt like there were some small flaws in it but overall really good movie. 10/10
Dec 27, 2018 7:05 PM
Oct 2018
This reminded me of Plastic Memories, since the beginning you know what's going to happen, but it's a hell of a ride. I told myself I wasn't going to get emotional, I knew that they were going to build something so beautiful that would end in the way the first line of the anime told us it would end, but god damn it still hit like a truck.

I'm happy he was able to move on, you can do obvious comparisons to other anime, but I think this was great in its own way. This was beautiful.
Dec 27, 2018 11:26 PM
Jan 2016
Almost cried...especially when Haruki is crying after read Sakura's diary...I love this anime movie, great story, I love both characters, Sakura and Haruki. Sakura is an energetic girl, great personality, very much like Kaori Miyazono, that's why there are so much love for her...Haruki, yeah, his character reminds me of myself, haha...a lone wolf, always doing everything for himself, really quiet boy...when he says,'I didn't do anything unnecessary' it makes me say,'Oh my God, it's me' hahaha. Didn't expect the ending, yeah I know Sakura will die but I didn't expect she died not because of her sickness but because fatal stabbing wound...it's really sad man, why anime always hurting my pancreas, eh no my heart haha. So many moral value in this movie, but the most important thing is every person can change, yeah, if they want it, they choose to, and they do it. And the song, simply amazing...
Dec 28, 2018 4:45 AM

Jan 2015
Ehhhh could have been way better than this
Dec 28, 2018 7:28 AM

Jun 2016
This is the worst anime movie that came out this year
Dec 28, 2018 9:41 AM

Jul 2013
This is a good movie, but it was not sad as everyone said. Atleast it was much better than shitgatsu.
にゃす!
Dec 28, 2018 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
I really liked this film! There's just one thing I'm quite confused about. How do the translations handle the fact that their names fit together like that? Did they just gloss over it, change their names to english counter parts or what?
Dec 28, 2018 5:53 PM

Dec 2013
nyanpath said:
This is a good movie, but it was not sad as everyone said.

1) Not everyone.
2) It wasn't sad. At all. Actually, it was kinda emotionless.

Like #80 has said, it was actually the worst anime movie this year. I don't get why people praise this one.
Rather average work. Below average even.

Look, if you think this is good, go watch Maquia.
And now THIS is how you show emotions.
Dec 28, 2018 10:47 PM

Dec 2015
I'm a bit disapointed about movie's end,

by the way, I loved little prince scene, was extremely cute within the tragedy
Dec 29, 2018 8:55 PM

Sep 2011
Today I just did a double feel train in a row. I watched Sayonara no Asa ni Yakusoku no Hana wo Kazarou and then this. Gosh, my heart! But I really like this over some of the other similar genre. It's an amazing story crafted with inclusive of different emotions. I put myself into the character's shoes and am is grateful for this production. Thank you Studio VOLN!
Dec 29, 2018 10:15 PM

Aug 2017
It was good but I have some issues with the movie.

*I felt that it was a bit short.
*Kyoko is annoying and even harasses Shiga. At least, she is a bit better in the ending.
*At first, the relationship feels a bit forced.

Despite that, there's some good things:
*Sakura's sudden death was a bit surprising.
*The message of the film.
*The emotional part was well done.

7/10 for the movie.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 31, 2018 1:35 AM
Oct 2018
The anime fucked up the original plot. The live action had great feel to it but the anime😭😢
Dec 31, 2018 1:57 AM

Nov 2013
completed this a few days ago and i don't get why it's rated so highly. the plot twist at the end sucks because she was going to die anyway. also that scene where the guy was on top of the girl was the most uncomfortable thing ever... i liked the girl but the guy was just weird overall.
Dec 31, 2018 10:51 AM

Apr 2012
Koshi_Inaba said:
I'm posting a spoiler from the sequel novel that was given as souvenir from theaters in Japan during the movie's release

So, they completely

Jan 1, 2019 3:26 AM

May 2016
aLotQuestion_ said:
Koshi_Inaba said:
I'm posting a spoiler from the sequel novel that was given as souvenir from theaters in Japan during the movie's release

Ahh I see, so it was the gum guy. That visit grave scene was confusing.

By the way, I got something that I don't understand.

Regarding Sakura's ex boyfriend during Junior High.

There was a scene where Takahiro and Haruki are fighting in the rain.

Haruki then ask Sakura whether if he was her ex, although Sakura didn't admit head on but remain silence, I take it as a "yes".

Sakura and Kyoko were friend since Junior High and Kyoko also knew who was the ex boyfriend.

However, when Takahiro made his first appearance by borrowing Sakura a CD, Kyoko said why don't you date someone like him.

If Takahiro was Sakura ex boyfriend, there is no way Kyoko will say something like that.

Was that a mistake from the author or Takahiro wasn't actually Sakura's ex?

That might have been her other friends saying that, Kyoko was quiet looking at him unhappily during that scene.
Jan 1, 2019 6:49 AM
Jul 2017
Gotta be honest - I didn't like Sakura at first. I thought she was annoying, part of the problem, actually no, most of the problem stems from the voice acting being pretty bad in this movie, though the plot afterwards anf the character development makes up for it later. I grew a liking to her. When she died from being murdered, honestly I wasn't surprised since the murdering thing was mentioned earlier and throughout the movie. It felt out of place, so I thought it had to be an element of the plot. The guy who kept offering Haruki gum was completely worthless and dumb. I honestly thought he would be the ex boyfriend cuz of his interest in their relationship, but no he was just a simple plot device to show Haruki's growth in character. Back to the voice acting, the voice acting was unbearable throughout the anime. During the scenes where the MC broke down and Ruko(?) broke down, it honestly took me out of it. Well those are the problems i have with this movie. Other then that, the narrative was great. Main heroine was extremely lovable. Quite a bit of emotional scenes. 8.5 for me but I'll sum it up to a 9.
Jan 1, 2019 11:38 AM
Dec 2013
derrickgar said:
Can someone explain why haruki got mad at sakura in the scene at sakura's room before encountering sakura's ex.

I think it's because Sakura played with his heart, and it pissed him off that she'd randomly tease him like that.
Jan 1, 2019 12:52 PM

Dec 2009
Well, I really enjoyed this. Wasn't perfect, but nice. The fact that the girl died that way was so unexpected to me, and it gave me a sad feeling in a darker way, compared to the bittersweetness I'd feel if she had just died from the disease while still enjoying her time with Haruki.
Also liked how at the ending he made sure to become friends with Kyoko, showing Haruki was trying to make Sakura's last wish true (even if not directly shown as a wish in her diary).
Jan 1, 2019 10:03 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great movie, and it sure hit me right in the feels! Shigatsu-vibes from the very start and the alike bittersweet ending just rekindled back all those emotions and tears. I finished the movie earlier this morning and even after waking up, it’s hard to move my thoughts and feelings away from this movie.

Some really strong messages about living in this movie, and those were really impactful and genuine in my opinion. It was truly wonderful how the movie managed to keep up that very theme throughout the progression of the show, and for that I’m very grateful. Storyline of the movie, however, was a bit patchy at times but still superb nevertheless. Haruki admitting that their encounter was the last thing from being a coincidence and just that whole moment of realisation was beautiful in essence.

Sakura and Haruki’s polar opposite personalities mingling was a great touch from the very start and it was a very delightful watch in this regard. I could tell from Sakura’s persistence that she was already interested in Haruki, thanks to Shigatsu, but even then the presentation of that scene was top-notch. All those vacations, hanging around and even the visit to Sakura’s house and the circumstances of it really hooked me up into the storyline and the characters, in particular. Haruki’s progression as a character from super antisocial to a socially acceptable person by the end of the movie was very heartwarming, but the buildup to it was surely heartrending. Sakura’s unexpected death was a big shock but I’d like if they showed more of it, somehow it just feels like the writer wanted to surprise us big time and couldn’t think of a better idea than to making her get killed by the anonymous murderer(that is if it that very person, in the first place). Some closure in this regard would’ve really been so much more appreciable. Moving on, a few either characters were introduced too and honestly this Department imo was a bit below par compared to the other departments of the show. Kyouko’s overprotective stance was understandable and the final scene before the ED kicked in was very bawling, but it just failed to convince me fully sadly. My impression of her became a little better when she got along with Haruki in the end there though. Gum guy was nice but it’s sad that we hardly got anything of him(by the way, in the very finale, I’m assuming Haruki meant Kyouko and the Gum Guy by referring to the guy as ‘him’) and his involvement was more or less like a plot device to show Haruki’s growth. Still a very nice addition, nevertheless. All in all, it really was a nice short cast to get the point across. Haruki’s tears in Sakura’s house was easily the most weeping moment of the movie, but it was nice to see how Sakura predicted correctly that he would be a bit late(poor lad, it took him 10 days) to catch up to the reality. I knew from the hospital scene earlier that she would request her mother to give her personal diary to Haruki so that wasn’t too surprising, but still impactful as heck nonetheless. Great stuff!

Production value invested to this show was pleasing to have! Animation of the show really delivered and glued me to the screen when it wanted to but some of the shots was a bit odd every now and then. Kyouka’s message being presented in a very artistic manner was really a great choice of presentation, and I enjoyed it immensely. Sound Department of this movie was really good throughout too, but none of the insert songs were really memorable after finishing the movie. Op sequence was really amusing too. All in all, these two Departments were really great and managed to do more than enough to evelate the intensity of many of the scenes for which I’m truly grateful for.

-> Overall: Solid 8.25/10.
I’ll definitely check out the live-action movie soon to see more of this glorious story!
_MushiRock11_Apr 8, 2019 9:49 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 4, 2019 4:51 AM
Jul 2018
I bawled my eyes out.

Seeing that she died from something other than her illness really made the movie even sadder.
She could have enjoyed life next to her friends, family and Haruki for a longer time. Some people say that the end was kinda meh but I disagree.

I loved the OP and ED a lot.

10/10 imo.
Jan 4, 2019 6:36 AM

Mar 2018
Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai >= Kimi no Nawa

IMO it is slightly better.
Jan 4, 2019 2:42 PM
Oct 2018
a very good and sad story at the same time. Post credits I was happy for them ................... Goodbye
Jan 4, 2019 4:16 PM
Oct 2017
I was blown away with the destroying reviews to the film.
They made me feel like an idiot to love this film.
I was really enjoyed by the movie. it was a long time since I saw a drama anime and I felt the drama was right on the spot somehow.
the reviews underestimated the story, the characters, the animation and quite every thing else about a movie that has got a 8.5+ rating on this site !!!!
Those who are searching for perfection everywhere will never find it.
Jan 4, 2019 7:19 PM
Jan 2019
Was a great movie ...loved it
Jan 4, 2019 8:45 PM

May 2016
I was expecting some YLIA ending but the damn plot twist really did me in. Even if people say it's cliched this movie was amazing. I really liked the songs and the VA for Sakura felt perfect. Haruki's VA didn't seem to be anything special but I think that really captured his personality. I'm so glad I got hooked by the title into checking this movie out.

Jan 5, 2019 11:56 AM

Oct 2017
I really like the movie. Yes the plot is pretty simple and ppl can predict most part of it but it doesn't need many plot twists or special to be a good movie. Violet evergarden stories are pretty simple but it can still evoke emotional moments, it is all comes to the certain memories or personality connects people. If you are connected to the main character Haruki then you will probably have a very deep connection with the movie. Some people feel it is emotional and some aren't it all comes to personal so if you feel like it is not emotional and curious about why others cried so much here's your the answer. For me, I can really relate to Haruki and I cried the whole movie. Sakura rip TAT

“It's okay to live, even if there's no greater point to living. -” Konno Yuuki

“God would never put us through all this suffering if he didn't think we could bear it.” -Konno Yuuki

“Life is not a game of luck. If you wanna win, work hard.” – Sora

Jan 5, 2019 11:27 PM

Aug 2015
Desperately awaiting for a spin-off maybe called " Kimi no Ketsu wo Tabetai ".

Like come on Japan, I know you can do it!
PS: I know about the existence of hentai, yes.
Jan 6, 2019 2:03 PM

Jul 2017
@Bawse - Some things are better left untouched.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Jan 7, 2019 9:59 AM

Jun 2013
One thing I hated: "how" she died. Didn't match with the way of this movie. Her death was silly. Besides, a great movie.
Jan 8, 2019 1:49 PM

Jul 2017
@rodolfoemiliano - I can offer a quick explanation for why it was a bit "off" the death was.
Spoilers for some novel details that weren't included:

I'll admit that it may not make as much sense in the movie, but in the novel, it fits with the theme.

- Me

Jan 8, 2019 3:32 PM

Jun 2013
@zamandzoe I see... In the movie, his perception you described is not explored.
Jan 8, 2019 3:55 PM

Jan 2016
I guess if was worth the hype. I was somehow sad but at the same time it wasn't because you already knew how it was gonna end. I could see her dying while on the way to the Cafe as soon as he sat down and started texting her.

But the movie did tackle some interesting themes and made me think a bit about what living really is all about. Haruki and Sakura has some great moments together during the movies 148 minutes run, and somehow this is one if the only times that I didn't need a kiss to seal the deal.

Because as Sakura said, their relationship couldn't be bound to words or bonds like friendship or love.

A strong 8/10 in my book. It has some flaws and isn't an emotional train wreck, but it's still a very good movie! Will definitely re-watch sometime in the future

Also, I guess that means that Maquia was officially the best Anime movie of 2018!
FireFistYKJan 8, 2019 4:00 PM
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» *SPOILER* did anyone cry in this movie? ( 1 2 )

ichigo23sterling - Apr 11, 2021

92 by KamijouToumaIB »»
Apr 21, 4:19 PM

» The only movie I refuse to rewatch.

dmdm597 - Jul 21, 2022

48 by v-ega »»
Apr 17, 11:58 AM

» Please explain me the ending (Spoilers)

Anime_lover_2004 - May 8, 2020

16 by Atsunome »»
Jan 11, 5:26 AM

» Anime like this

spasoklab - Sep 10, 2023

29 by that_kool_kid »»
Nov 11, 2023 11:18 PM

» I've got some questions

merpdaderp - Mar 17, 2023

10 by KingOfMAL »»
Mar 20, 2023 12:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.