Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 28, 2018 8:34 AM

Mar 2017
Ever_Onward said:
donzacuceron said:

I don't get the hate for Re:Zero. We finally got an Isekai show where the MC is a flawed human being. The guy is constantly forced to face the consequences of his actions and faults and it largely realistic. Hell, I will never forget the slap in the face moment when Emiliya said 'The 'me' in your head must be amazing'. Which while not necessarily subtle was there to force the MC to realise that he's essentially in love with the Idea of what Emiliya represents instead of an actual person. Which helps him mature in a way where I don't see happen in anime that often. His pride was shattered and he was forced into character growth. Once again. Doesn't happens as often as it should. Its not some masterclass in writing but its a solid show in my opinion and I've yet to hear a valid narrative criticism of the show to straight up justify it being called awful.

I hear you, though I don't have that much to add. Good observations.

I'm with you on this. some scenes can be executed more imo(some stuff going to the ending) but the whole show was absolutely great and for me it's really not awful on how others perceive it to be. I mean the ratings speaks for itself most here on MAL rated it 8+ there are others who don't like it and are constantly saying it's absolute trash, while the ones who loved it enjoyed it and moved on.. giving it a bad rep
OrbitChewyAug 28, 2018 9:09 AM
Aug 28, 2018 8:37 AM

Jan 2016
Of the shows I've seen, Log Horizon is the best serious one, No Game No Life is the best power fantasy one, and Konosuba is the best comedy one. There are a couple of other alright ones, but those are the best in my book.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Aug 28, 2018 8:54 AM

Aug 2018
No game no life
SAO
Log Horizon

Rezero was alright
Aug 28, 2018 9:49 AM

Apr 2013
In anime, I'd say 12 Kingdoms and Youjo Senki tops it in what I've seen so far by quite a good margin.
In LN, I would add the lovely Honzuki no Gekokujou, but this one cannot be accessed to anime onlys, well, that's too bad ;o.

And Isekai is not a "genre". At best it's a theme (when the "isekai" part is really developed), and usually it's not even a theme but simply part of the initial setting. It sets the story in motion but the genre of the story coming from it can be anything you want. From the kind of standard in anime fantasy battle with OP protag (with harem/ecchi combo being quite often used as well), to slice & life, military, detective story, science fiction, anything is possible.

Oh, btw, many peoples tend to forget, but many magical girls story have been using isekai as part of their setting for a looong time since it's not rare that the mascot providing the magical girl's power is not from the same world.
Aug 28, 2018 11:49 AM
Feb 2017
If an anime viewer inserts themselves into a fantasy anime, is that isekai?
Aug 28, 2018 12:12 PM
Mar 2018
obviously it is InuYasha that is the best because of its lovable characters and intelligent story that questions the place that people are put into society, its effects and the motivations of people and if some bad people are as bad as we think, and the meaning of true strength and identity
what?
Aug 28, 2018 12:43 PM

Jul 2017
Older ones like Inuyasha and Escaflowne. Modern Isekai are absolute garbage that puts more stock in making the pathetic MC as self insertable as possible and introducing shallow waifus that people forget after the season ends. Even series like Re:Zero and Konosuba which are regarded as "deconstructions" are still garbage.
Aug 28, 2018 1:01 PM
Jan 2018
if reverse isekai counts too devil is a part-timer is the best
Aug 28, 2018 1:10 PM

Aug 2018
Overlord even though, I’ve only watched the first season it was pretty decent.
Aug 28, 2018 1:19 PM
Apr 2016
Rezero for me. Yes yall hate it, I don't care.
Aug 28, 2018 1:27 PM
Aug 2016
I like that genre, even though, in my opinion it's not an official genre, like romance, drama, action, horror, etc, are.
My favorite isekai anime is SAO and that one is also the first isekai anime I ever saw.
I know SAO got a lot of hate, but Idc, I just like it and if that's not ok with you or with anybody else, that's your problem, not mine, so deal with it.
Aug 28, 2018 1:30 PM
Jun 2016
Digimon Adventure is the best isekai anime of all time.
Aug 28, 2018 1:44 PM

Jul 2017
my favorites include:

Log Horizon
Re: Zero
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
Overlord
Konosuba
Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?
No Game No Life
Zero no Tsukaima

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Aug 28, 2018 11:34 PM

Apr 2017
Kuma said:
still patiently waiting for isekai putin to get adapted... there is hope...

Memes aside... GAR Putin + Isekai = Majestic...

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Aug 29, 2018 12:04 AM

Mar 2015
RnDHiki said:
Kuma said:
still patiently waiting for isekai putin to get adapted... there is hope...

Memes aside... GAR Putin + Isekai = Majestic...

well, it is majestic... even still les than a volume, it's already much better than most isekai out there...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 29, 2018 12:20 PM

Oct 2016
This is quite a controversial thread but the answer is fairly , quite obviously Re Zero . I am actually how very few people have mentioned it but if you are talking about isekai anime , there is no anime that comes even close. But I know how people think or should I say , pretend to think ( like a act or something) here at MAL . Everyone who watched it know its a great anime but they just can't confess it because it is a popular mainstream anime .
Oh how much I wish to teach them that liking a popular mainstream anime doesn't make your anime taste bad or anything and conversly , hating them ( for no reasons whatsoever ) doesn't make you or your tastes any better.
Animelia99Aug 29, 2018 12:23 PM
Aug 31, 2018 10:04 AM

Jan 2013
donzacuceron said:
Ever_Onward said:
I really enjoyed Re:Zero because I'm a low IQ casual with awful taste, apparently.

I don't get the hate for Re:Zero. We finally got an Isekai show where the MC is a flawed human being. The guy is constantly forced to face the consequences of his actions and faults and it largely realistic. Hell, I will never forget the slap in the face moment when Emiliya said 'The 'me' in your head must be amazing'. Which while not necessarily subtle was there to force the MC to realise that he's essentially in love with the Idea of what Emiliya represents instead of an actual person. Which helps him mature in a way where I don't see happen in anime that often. His pride was shattered and he was forced into character growth. Once again. Doesn't happens as often as it should. Its not some masterclass in writing but its a solid show in my opinion and I've yet to hear a valid narrative criticism of the show to straight up justify it being called awful.
Ehhh, not entirely true.
There were already some isekai anime that had flawed MCs long before Re:zero came along.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Aug 31, 2018 10:13 AM

Jul 2017
Hai to gensou no grimgar. Because, the drama touched my heart.
Aug 31, 2018 10:25 AM

Nov 2016
If we are talking about action+romance then Sword Art Online.
If comedy then Zero no Tsukaima.
If about kawaii girls then Death March.
If dark one then Overlord (later parts) .
And finally if about worst one it's konosuba (parody is worst thing you can combine with isekai/fantasy...).
Aug 31, 2018 10:25 AM

Mar 2018
Rezero
Konosuba
Log Horizon
Spirited away
No game no life
Overlord

Aug 31, 2018 10:28 AM

Mar 2018
No isekai anime will come close to Re:Zero for me.

Aug 31, 2018 1:47 PM
Jul 2018
I'm team whoever said Juuni Kokuki.
Aug 31, 2018 1:49 PM

Aug 2009
Tenchi Muyo war on Geminar
Konosuba
El-Hazard
Re:Zero
In another world with my smartphone(I did think the title of the anime was stupid)
No Game No Life
Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsod
Outbreak Company
The Familiar of Zero

The idea that isekai anime is somehow a new thing is absurd. Its been around for while. If you don't like it then don't watch it. I don't care for yaoi, and sports,.So I don't watch them. I don't care for those Michael Vick anime where those little kids catch monsters/animals, train those monsters/animals and fight them with other kids monsters/animals. So I don't watch those types of anime. I am not going to make a thread where I piss bitch and moan how I don't care for those anime. Everybody has different tastes. Its why there is a shit load of different types of anime.
ezikialrageAug 31, 2018 2:00 PM
Aug 31, 2018 1:57 PM

Jun 2012
Digimon. There is re:0 other answer.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Aug 31, 2018 2:04 PM

Feb 2008
Hard to choose one that stands out as the best, but I know which I'd pick as the funniest

Sep 1, 2018 5:38 AM

May 2013
corwinr said:
Hard to choose one that stands out as the best, but I know which I'd pick as the funniest

bloody hell!! I am putting this on my watch list for the lulz.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Sep 1, 2018 8:58 AM

Jan 2016
I think I'll pick Log Horizon, without that f'kin kids team scene.
Sep 1, 2018 9:05 AM

Apr 2018
No game no life shit on most of the isekai anime that i have watched tbh

And digimon adventure And trinity seven are pretty good

AkerakaiSep 1, 2018 9:12 AM
Sep 1, 2018 9:13 AM

Aug 2016
I've seen a couple. A lot of people are listing isekai from the past ten years or so. Some of them are pretty good.

None of them top Vision of Escaflowne, in my opinion. Is it "old?" To most of you, probably. I still haven't seen an isekai that I think really tops it.
Sep 1, 2018 9:27 AM

Nov 2008
Dog Days and No Game no Life, the current Isekai are mostly terrible.

Sep 1, 2018 9:45 AM

Aug 2016
Digimon 1st season or Those who hunt elves
:v
Sep 1, 2018 9:46 AM

Aug 2016
LeWannabeOtaku said:
I know that Re:Zero is very overhyped but i just finished it and found it to be amazing, so so far it's my favourite isekai.

Been watching anime since the 90s and rezero managed to impress me, at least during the first arc and it was solid for at least 15 episodes. great damn anime.
:v
Sep 1, 2018 10:09 AM

May 2010
logopolis said:
People who make threads like this probably need to come up with some term like "power fantasy isekai" to stop us from saying things like Now and Then, Here and There, Fushigi Yuugi etc.

But that's the thing though. People are throwing the word isekai to describe that it's a boring story when it just means "being transported to another world"

People are mad about these isekai simply because the characters are overpowered Gary Stus and Mary Sues due to their ability to break the nature of the world they were transported to. There's a lot of that in anime as it is, just not obvious.

As for the topic, I'm giving a shoutout to the fujobait, Kyou Kara Maou. Not the best thing I'd recommend, but the foreshadowing in that LN trumps a lot of stories out there.
Sep 2, 2018 12:54 AM

Aug 2018
Maybe digimon adentures or log horizon
-Just roki roll!!!
https://myanimelist.net/profile/Wimp3452
If you click on that you will die
Sep 2, 2018 12:59 AM
Aug 2018
Definetly konosuba, that show is just so fucking hilarious
Sep 2, 2018 1:35 AM
Nov 2017
I know y'all gonna fucking hate the shit out of me for saying this but Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni
Sep 2, 2018 9:21 AM

May 2017
Best isekai ? Lol nice joke I'm in pain.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2018 9:53 PM

Feb 2018
Best Isekai Anime is ReZero
If Best Isekai Manga is Parallel Paradaise
Sep 10, 2018 9:56 PM

Oct 2015
the first one, Aura battler Dunbine by Yoshiyuki Tomino
Oct 3, 2018 1:48 AM
May 2017
Imaishi said:
Juuni Kokuki hands down
it's in its own league, but if you're looking for shit like re:zero then you're in for disappointment

it has an actually good MC and awesome worlbuilding, the new world is actually fantastic and not a generic waifu spawning shithole

except that Subaru is a good MC, as donzacuceron already explained:

donzacuceron said:
Ever_Onward said:
I really enjoyed Re:Zero because I'm a low IQ casual with awful taste, apparently.

Oct 3, 2018 2:04 AM
Jul 2018
Definetely ain't Sword Art Online.
Oct 3, 2018 2:05 AM

Sep 2016
If this thread is still active in 6 months, Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken just might get quite a few votes.... we'll see.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Oct 3, 2018 2:18 AM

Mar 2016
Probably not the best one, but since I'ven't watched many Isekai, I'll say Konosuba ~
Oct 3, 2018 2:19 AM
Jul 2018
Older_than_dirt said:
If this thread is still active in 6 months, Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken just might get quite a few votes.... we'll see.

Definetely. Some people are losing their mind and praising it as masterpiece. They do like this everytime some new isekai gets aired lol
Oct 3, 2018 2:21 AM
Aug 2018
What's Isekai? is it some kind of disgusting genre that belongs to Manga/Anime :[?
Oct 3, 2018 2:22 AM

Feb 2018
Konosuba definitely. I would say overlord but the anime is shit, read the ln.
Oct 3, 2018 2:25 AM
Jul 2018
Plathyst said:
Konosuba definitely. I would say overlord but the anime is shit, read the ln.

Most of users here on MAL are anime watcher only. Shit or no, they are more into anime rather LN
Oct 3, 2018 2:28 AM
Jul 2018
Iamkingdomhearts said:
What's Isekai? is it some kind of disgusting genre that belongs to Manga/Anime :[?

Isekai = Powerful Handsome MALE character transferted in a new World, and while beating some enemies a bunch of girls including Lolis fall in love with him for no reason...
Oct 3, 2018 2:33 AM
Aug 2018
Frroku said:
Iamkingdomhearts said:

Isekai = Powerful Handsome MALE character transferted in a new World, and while beating some enemies a bunch of girls including Lolis fall in love with him for no reason...

Ah, so basically the Familiar of Zero, right? definitely not one of the best Animes of all time ever.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown

rohan121 - Yesterday

29 by AshuAmbrose »»
4 minutes ago

» 1 trick pony, but it's actually peak!

APolygons2 - Yesterday

20 by APolygons2 »»
5 minutes ago

» favorite anime under 50 episodes?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

30 by Rhae »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is the hottest anime mom? (beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Apr 16

28 by tappioca »»
13 minutes ago

» Does your waifu know how to strike a good pose?

Catalano - 4 hours ago

11 by Rhae »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.