Forum Settings
Forums

EDIT: Why do you THINK older anime was better/worse?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 26, 2018 2:27 PM

Oct 2013
The only thing different between the two,other than the obvious stuff anyone with working eyes and ears can see, is volume.

There are clearly more anime being put out now then there was then or even just 10 years ago,so of course there's a better chance of newer series getting higher ratings. Not that ratings are a good way to compare things on here.

Unfortunately,the only way to even come close to comparing anything accurately using ratings is if literally everyone watched and rated everything ever made and rated them using the full scale,which will never happen.
May 26, 2018 2:42 PM

May 2014
I always thought when ppl say "older anime is better", they mean anime back in 2006~2011 or something.

I doubt 95% of MAL users watch anime from the 1990s except Eva, Lain, Lotgh and maybe few others.
May 26, 2018 3:20 PM

Jul 2015
IdleSolution said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

At least my taste is built on a proper foundation. You've discarded literally thousands of titles because "old things look old."

Yeah, and people die if they are killed. Way to keep an open mind.

doesnt change the fact that old animes look like made in 90s or, hell, 80s!

and that is bad because...?
i mean, if it's just your opinion and preference in art style it's fine but
every single 90s/80s anime looks bad to you? :^/
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
May 26, 2018 3:38 PM

Jan 2013
IdleSolution said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

At least my taste is built on a proper foundation. You've discarded literally thousands of titles because "old things look old."

Yeah, and people die if they are killed. Way to keep an open mind.

doesnt change the fact that old animes look like made in 90s or, hell, 80s!
Oh wow, what an astute observation!
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 26, 2018 3:58 PM
Jul 2018
After 2010 , we have tons of shitty animes that are above 7.00 and 8.00
Yet , if you look at these animes before 2010 , like FMA:B , Monster , Death Note etc ..

You'll clearly know the difference

Well , from my unpopular opinion , anime gets worse each year than before , and yea old animes are much better than the new ones , anyways each year we get only like 1 or 2 good animes and the rest is meh , also , about the rating .... It's not that the anime is getting better , it's that the anime fans commuinty GETS SHITTER changes by time besides the stuffs that they like.

However , animes before 2000s ? Hmm I doubt that lots of people watched much from them , like maybe Cowboy bebop and few more animes only. ( But they were good still lol).
May 26, 2018 4:05 PM
Jun 2016
As others mentioned it's hard to completly judge older anime by modern times. It's something I see alot with my review scores.

I tend to score alot of anime's higher then most, and often wonder how much of that comes from that I A) finish alot of anime, so anime that get better later on I watch and B) the more important thing, I'm not jaded by watching hundreds of anime yet, so when I see X anime it might be my first one, while another has seen 30 of that kind.

Same here with older anime, a anime at it's time might have been more mind blowing then when you compare it to a modern version that has been done hundreds of times since and better.
May 26, 2018 4:06 PM

Dec 2008
NickDen said:
You really must get a hard on from making pointless threads don't you?

Shit-that's half the fun of posting here, so many utterly pointless statements.
Life Is Short But Intense.
May 26, 2018 4:12 PM

Sep 2017
Most of the old animes are either a Gundam Rip-off or some trashy exploitation OVA ,even though nowadays is flooded with School slice of life there is more interesting works.
May 26, 2018 10:09 PM
Jul 2018
If people hate the threads I make, why do they post on them?
May 26, 2018 10:42 PM

Aug 2011
MAL ratings don't mean squat. To begin with, its a biased sample. Newer anime will always be rated higher than older anime on average. That and to be fair quite a lot of people on MAL have pretty garbage taste.
May 26, 2018 10:44 PM

Jul 2012
really subjective honestly, everyone has different thoughts on this.

it's great finding someone who can appreciate both tho.
May 26, 2018 11:04 PM
Jul 2012
Lol picking one of the crash years sure. At least do 1997 vs 2017

Btw Nadia >>> all of 2017 still
May 26, 2018 11:13 PM
Super Saiyan

May 2017
It's really just your preference. I guess todays is better quality, but again whichever one you prefer is technically 'better'.
May 26, 2018 11:43 PM

Jan 2014
WorkingOutMan said:
Older anime’s will always be better because of how much more original it was and how the animation was, these days it’s just filled with cgi animation and boring characters with no development

Ayy what an argument. How far did you have to reach up your ass to pull that one out lol.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
May 26, 2018 11:54 PM

Sep 2016
Can someone PROVE that old anime was better?

Nope, but they can't prove it wasn't either.
What 1 person might like about older/newer anime, someone else might dislike.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

May 27, 2018 12:20 AM
Jul 2018
>Everyone I talk to on mal says that there is a way to determine quality in anime
>Nobody on mal is able to determine quality in anime
May 27, 2018 12:21 AM

Apr 2016
Finally you made a thread, and not edited it completely the moment people start to shit on you LOL well done.
May 27, 2018 12:22 AM

Jul 2015
Wow I love these threads!!!!!

The answer is pretty simple: No, nobody can prove that old anime is better than the more recent anime, and like-wise vice-versa, nobody can prove that old anime is worse than the more recent anime. There are so many reasons as to why this simple truth stands. For one, comparing the scores doesn't seem valid to me. Like what many people have spoken, the MAL scores are heavily based on people's feelings toward those specific anime. Don't like an anime? Boom, instant low-rating. Why do you think many people say not to take the MAL ratings seriously?

Nobody can factually prove it, because every single person in this world may have their own opinion on it and nobody can tell them that their opinion is not valid.

And so, with the scores out of the question, you can maybe argue that in terms of the quality of the anime (like the actual story and what not) old anime is better than new anime, but again, that's still subjective. Who has the right to decide amongst us and say that old anime is objectively better than new anime? No one, because that's simply your (not you specifically) own opinion, and just because our opinions may differ from yours, that does not mean we are wrong. Your subjective opinion is not a fair standard to use in order to tell everyone that it's straight up facts that old anime is better than new anime. Opinion is different from facts, and something like the quality of an anime is not something that can be decided based on "facts" it's all your own opinion.

caught in the wonder
May 27, 2018 12:24 AM
Jul 2018
Can you prove that they weren't ????
May 27, 2018 12:24 AM

Dec 2016
also OP why did you picked 1990 when that year was mostly an anime wasteland for new releases? sounds pretty convenient to me at the least
May 27, 2018 12:30 AM

Apr 2011
More effort and less cashing in on gross ass otaku morons = older anime is better.

I like plenty of newer stuff and I'm not close minded to it, but I cringe so hard when I see morons complain about pre 2010s stuff. Just gtfo. It's 'ugly'?
You mean because episode by episode it has animation flaws and the characters act more cartoony?

There are plenty of new anime that have ugly and flawed frames too. And I'll take chibi rage and bubbles flying out of mouths over no expression at all and dime o dozen 'wafiu material' any damn day.
AngelicTotoroMay 27, 2018 12:36 AM
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
May 27, 2018 12:38 AM

Sep 2015
This is honestly a pretty weird question. What counts as old anime? Where do you draw that line? Do you mean better on average? How do you want to define better? Average opinion?

I don't think very many people are seriously making the argument that old anime is better than new anime. But, I do think it's a valid point to say that it's far more likely that your favorite anime aired in the past 50 years rather than it being something that airing right now.

As plenty of other people have said, "better" is up to the individual. What's "best" isn't something you can prove. The entire concept of quality wouldn't exist without human observers, you can't quantify it, it isn't an innate property. Watch anime and decide for yourself which era in anime was best.
May 27, 2018 12:40 AM

Sep 2015
AngelicTotoro said:
I cringe so hard when I see morons complain about pre 2010s stuff. Just gtfo. It's 'ugly'?
You mean because episode by episode it has animation flaws and the characters act more cartoony?

I'm really not trying to deny your experiences, but is this something that people complain about? Most people I know are pretty open to older anime. Hell, one of the first anime my friend Jacob ever saw was Lupin III Part 1 and it's now his #3 favorite anime of all time. I'm not saying there aren't people like that, but that hardly seems like a common problem to me
May 27, 2018 12:48 AM

Apr 2011
I've seen so many comments on videos both on legal and illegal streaming sites where people complain about older anime and it's animation being too 'old' or 'ugly'.
(If it were something from '77 I could maybe understand this. But I've seen this sort of complaint for something from '97!)
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
May 27, 2018 12:56 AM

Jan 2013
AngelicTotoro said:
I've seen so many comments on videos both on legal and illegal streaming sites where people complain about older anime and it's animation being too 'old' or 'ugly'.
(If it were something from '77 I could maybe understand this. But I've seen this sort of complaint for something from '97!)
Such is the case when you get spoiled by "today's" pretty colors.
What gets praised now will get the same treatment as those "old" and "ugly" anime later down the line.
#karma
CabronMay 27, 2018 1:00 AM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 27, 2018 4:07 AM

Sep 2014
NihilisticLoner said:
If people hate the threads I make, why do they post on them?

This is called biting the bait.

NihilisticLoner said:
>Everyone I talk to on mal says that there is a way to determine quality in anime

That's just determining quality in their opinion only, you know? Quality in anime is subjective.
May 27, 2018 4:17 AM

Apr 2017
why not count shows that are older than 1990? some of them have high scores like RoV.

either way, both have their own charm and it all depends on the person if you want to prove which one is better.

but If you want an objective answer then you won't get anything because as I've said before, it depends on you and your liking.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

May 27, 2018 5:14 AM

Jul 2014
People trying to convince themselves and others that the 80s and 90s were better are glossing over the sheer amount of trash that came out back then. Lest we forget all the schlocky OVAs like Angel Cop and Violence Jack that dominated the European and American anime markets. Every era has its trash and every era has its gems and time acts as a filter which causes people to forget the former for the most part. For example, I doubt people are going to remember the 2010s for any of the generic isekai shows to have come out recently but rather for stuff like Hunter X Hunter, Devilman Crybaby and A Silent Voice.
LoveLikeBloodMay 27, 2018 5:17 AM
Take care of yourself

May 27, 2018 5:33 AM

Mar 2017
A while back I noted a similar tendency in IMDB ratings of films, in that viewers tend to rate new movies higher than older films. Nevertheless there are people who prefer older movies to more modern ones. It's impossible to "prove" that newer or older is better because in the end it's subjective, a matter of individual viewers' tastes and preferences.
A møøse once bit my sister...
May 27, 2018 5:46 AM
Sep 2017
AstZero said:
WorkingOutMan said:
Older anime’s will always be better because of how much more original it was and how the animation was, these days it’s just filled with cgi animation and boring characters with no development

Ayy what an argument. How far did you have to reach up your ass to pull that one out lol.
AstZero said:
WorkingOutMan said:

This is my opinion sir, just everyone else has an opinion
May 27, 2018 6:46 AM
Feb 2017
But they aren't better.

̶M̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶r̶n̶ ̶m̶o̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶s̶h̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶.̶

It really just depends on the specific show you're referring to. There are bad old anime and bad modern anime. (Same applies to good.)

May 27, 2018 6:47 AM

Feb 2010
RadShiba said:
AngelicTotoro said:
I cringe so hard when I see morons complain about pre 2010s stuff. Just gtfo. It's 'ugly'?

I'm really not trying to deny your experiences, but is this something that people complain about? Most people I know are pretty open to older anime. Hell, one of the first anime my friend Jacob ever saw was Lupin III Part 1 and it's now his #3 favorite anime of all time. I'm not saying there aren't people like that, but that hardly seems like a common problem to me

Well idk about Anecdotal Jacob but I've been on MAL for 8+ years and I can tell you 80% of its userbase avoid anything pre-2000 like the plague and it's not rare at all to meet people who refuse to look at anything older than 2010 or 2012 even. Their reasons? 'It's old'.

Just spend a few days in the Recommendation subforum and see how many people specify that they don't want anything to do with older anime. And half the people who don't specify, will specify after you recommend something old and they reject it.

Maybe you lived in a bubble and were lucky with the anime fans you know irl but on MAL, on the internet the vast majority hates old anime just for being old and some faux reasons they convinced themselves of which often aren't even close to reality. Often they can't even say why, they just instinctively avoid anything old because they associate bad things with oldness.

This mentality is so deeply rooted in the community that fans who prefer old anime are often treated not as having a different preference, but as being straight-up elitist and pretentious because people can't imagine someone actually liking old more than new except for pretend-reasons. The animation quality issue is particularly bad. I've run into a lot of hostility and condescendence whenever I tried to talk about how age is not the defining factor of animation quality and that some of the best animated works of the medium are decades old by now. Oh no, that doesn't fit their worldview where new is inherently superior to old, so no amount of evidence or logic in the world can make them budge on that conviction.

I know people who quit MAL because they kept being harassed on AD whenever they mentioned old anime in a positive light so that having a normal conversation about them was impossible and it took all the fun out of participating in the community.

MAL is not a friendly community for fans of older anime, unless you stick to private conversations and clubs. Just to set things straight.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 27, 2018 6:53 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Why is this debate even a thing? If ppl are dumb or ignorant enough to think anime of the past is vastly different then they can stick to old anime but that doesn't mean theyre not wrong
May 27, 2018 7:04 AM

Aug 2016
Ian't something like that down to the individual? Some prefer older anime, perhaps they grew up with them or whatever else, and others prefer newer anime. Its very subjective and varies from person to person.

If your asking why the scores are generally lower, then thats probably because very few people have actually watched them. More recent anime were ones people probably watched while they were airing, theres a lot of fans that pick up a lot of shows ongoing, regardless of whether the shows have any real merit or not. Those same people aren't going to go back and watch the typical forgettable bunch of generic anime from years ago, only the ones that made a name for themselves, Evangelion, Utena etc etc. Basically, judging anything based on scores alone is highly inaccurate.
May 27, 2018 8:26 AM

Jun 2017
I just enjoy more new anime compare to old ones but that doesn't mean that new anime is better
May 27, 2018 10:08 AM

Dec 2017
Resleep said:
old anime are better because the plots were actually interesting
not really. Older anime have more dumb af characters and plots except Ippo since that manga is from god.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
May 27, 2018 10:13 AM

Apr 2018
Ohh nice editing
The title became decent
The post is still retarded tho

One day u will make non retarded threads op dw
May 27, 2018 10:22 AM

Sep 2016
EcchiGodMamsterP said:
Why is this debate even a thing? If ppl are dumb or ignorant enough to think anime of the past is vastly different then they can stick to old anime but that doesn't mean theyre not wrong

But in many ways they ARE different. Maybe not "vastly", but as someone who's first view of anime started back in the 70's, I can tell you that anime has changed over time.
Backgrounds, Character designs, hell even techniques for drawing anime are different than they used to be.

No matter where you draw the dividing line between older & newer, one is not inherently better than the other. They're just different.

This debate is a "thing" because people feel the need to justify their preferences in anime.
They can't just like whatever anime they want to like and leave it at that, they have to compare their choices with other people.
It's an aspect of the competitive nature of most humans "my choices are better than yours".
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

May 27, 2018 10:31 AM

Oct 2012
People say it's subjective, but I think new anime is better. Why? Back in the 80s-90s fewer people watched anime => there was less money in the industry => people didn't invest much in it => low quality anime.
May 27, 2018 10:32 AM

Dec 2017
Pullman said:
Well idk about Anecdotal Jacob but I've been on MAL for 8+ years and I can tell you 80% of its userbase avoid anything pre-2000 like the plague and it's not rare at all to meet people who refuse to look at anything older than 2010 or 2012 even. Their reasons? 'It's old'.

Just spend a few days in the Recommendation subforum and see how many people specify that they don't want anything to do with older anime. And half the people who don't specify, will specify after you recommend something old and they reject it.

Maybe you lived in a bubble and were lucky with the anime fans you know irl but on MAL, on the internet the vast majority hates old anime just for being old and some faux reasons they convinced themselves of which often aren't even close to reality. Often they can't even say why, they just instinctively avoid anything old because they associate bad things with oldness.

This mentality is so deeply rooted in the community that fans who prefer old anime are often treated not as having a different preference, but as being straight-up elitist and pretentious because people can't imagine someone actually liking old more than new except for pretend-reasons. The animation quality issue is particularly bad. I've run into a lot of hostility and condescendence whenever I tried to talk about how age is not the defining factor of animation quality and that some of the best animated works of the medium are decades old by now. Oh no, that doesn't fit their worldview where new is inherently superior to old, so no amount of evidence or logic in the world can make them budge on that conviction.

I know people who quit MAL because they kept being harassed on AD whenever they mentioned old anime in a positive light so that having a normal conversation about them was impossible and it took all the fun out of participating in the community.

MAL is not a friendly community for fans of older anime, unless you stick to private conversations and clubs. Just to set things straight.

I've noticed this as well, the disdain for older titles is also representative in the mean scores. For some reason many people on this site are biased against anything pre-2000s. Having Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your favorites especially seems to trigger the elitist alarm. Although I have no idea why, it's a bit of a strange phenomenon.
May 27, 2018 3:38 PM
Mar 2017
oh just to help those who need help I ask,one simple question, if anime is old and ppl continue to see those animations even now, what makes the new better than the old? Point is new anime has a foundation based on the old just like that iphone you like is based and founded on the patents and creations of Alexander Graham Bells' phone AND HIS SUCCESSORS! There's no debate here just lack of deduction on new generations whom do not live without technology. Sorry to hear the complaints but you would not be here without that old couple [your parents] having to procreate and bring you to this world, and even more teach you the past. OH wait , thats called school! HUH SURPRISED MYSELF THERE! Everything has a foundation, from life to anime,good and bad successes and mistakes. Llook for this and you will appreciate the old and new much better! peace out peeps!
May 27, 2018 3:55 PM

Jan 2018
I dont think it can compare based on scores, but..
Quality is better and better. And new anime are easy to find everywhere. So people just watch what is recommended to them, or what is ready in front of them. Rather than search it for a long time.

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
May 27, 2018 4:04 PM

Feb 2018
Wow, this was pretty random, not sure what to make of this thread.
May 27, 2018 4:24 PM

Nov 2015
i would not say old but like mid-old were good because generally they tell a story not just a fighting animation style ,anime that had a message to give .most of them were
based on our real life , i would mention : Slam dank (which is way better then kuroko thing ) ,Monster,GTO,Romeo no Aoi Sora,berserk,hunter x hunter...

May 27, 2018 4:45 PM

Sep 2017
2 pages and I have not seen Michael Jackson in the comments yet.
May 27, 2018 5:00 PM

Jun 2010
Kisaragi said:
I always thought when ppl say "older anime is better", they mean anime back in 2006~2011 or something.

I doubt 95% of MAL users watch anime from the 1990s except Eva, Lain, Lotgh and maybe few others.

I watched a few shows that were made at 1970-1979
May 27, 2018 5:08 PM

Jan 2013
No, all anime is shit to be completely honest.
May 27, 2018 6:00 PM

Sep 2015
Pullman said:
RadShiba said:

Well, like I said, I wasn't trying to invalidate your experience, it just didn't align with my experience. To be fair, I don't just live in a bubble, I created the bubble. I live in the middle of nowhere, I was the first, as far as I know, open anime fan at my highschool, at least while I was there. So, all the anime fans at school were people I introduced to anime, and I've at the very least been open to older anime and made sure to try and get them into some older stuff too. I just never really encountered much resistance from them with old anime. If that's been your experience and that's what most people experience, clearly my experience is the one out of line. Just felt I should throw my 2 cents in.

As for MAL, as you can probably tell from my forum post number, I really don't hang around the forums much. Most of my online experience is on instagram and reddit. There I've also surrounded myself with people who are a bit more open minded towards older stuff, so... yeah, the more I think about it the more I realize I really have been living in an anime bubble. Whoops.
May 27, 2018 6:10 PM

Oct 2010
Pullman said:

Uhm, not sure at all about who you are mentioning here but I kind of suspect something. I may be totally in the wrong though. Who were you thinking of?
May 27, 2018 6:42 PM

Feb 2010
jal90 said:
Pullman said:

Uhm, not sure at all about who you are mentioning here but I kind of suspect something. I may be totally in the wrong though. Who were you thinking of?

My memory is shit so I'm not sure what his name was. Off-something maybe?
But I think we're thinking of the same person. I'd hope there aren't that many cases like that.
I probably regret this post by now.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

30 by redorzo »»
28 seconds ago

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - Yesterday

10 by MeguSae38 »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

6 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you have any special memories from the anime fandom?

RobertBobert - 3 minutes ago

0 by RobertBobert »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

13 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.