Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 5, 2018 7:30 PM

Apr 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
gotta love Sanji's epic pose on top of the table <3
we are about to get into Big Mom's insane backstory, buckle up people!
May 5, 2018 7:32 PM
Mar 2014
it's nice seeing sanji running to save his family even when they are villains , Cesar is poor still trying to do his best to have his heart back xD , katakuri is a bulletproof person hope we can see a way to defeat him , brook is really the mvp as always xDDD yohohoho. so hype seeing brook do so much in this arc.
May 5, 2018 7:35 PM

Feb 2014
DAMN!!! THAT ANIMATION WAS SO GOOD!! ONE OF THE BEST EPISODES IN TERMS OF ANIMATION QUALITY FOR SURE!!

SANJI WAS SO BADASS!!
May 5, 2018 7:56 PM

Apr 2014
This episode was pretty crazy. The scream was tense. The ending where Big Mom asking where Mother went. The music fit the tragedy perfectly.
May 5, 2018 8:38 PM
Jan 2018
JoKeR_95 said:
DAMN!!! THAT ANIMATION WAS SO GOOD!! ONE OF THE BEST EPISODES IN TERMS OF ANIMATION QUALITY FOR SURE!!

SANJI WAS SO BADASS!!

Are you kidding? 3/4 of the episode felt like power point slide. It’s like they only put their budget for the last 5 minute
May 5, 2018 8:42 PM

Jun 2015
Kill her already dammit!
May 5, 2018 8:55 PM

May 2015
Yeah, Sanji-kun show compassion to that m@therf*cker & punk a$$ kids your father y brothers...
May 5, 2018 9:15 PM

Jul 2016
JoKeR_95 said:

SANJI WAS SO BADASS!!

Not quite.

Animation was poor I felt for such a huge moment.
May 5, 2018 9:19 PM
Oct 2013
Light-Yagami-God said:
Kill her already dammit!

IKR
Mother Caramel was pretty beautiful when she was young tbh. Looking forward for the next episode.
May 5, 2018 10:10 PM

Jan 2018
once again a great episode
May 5, 2018 10:31 PM
Nov 2017
Vindicater said:
JoKeR_95 said:

SANJI WAS SO BADASS!!

Not quite.

Animation was poor I felt for such a huge moment.
The animation was great the whole ep except when sanji stood on the table . Other than that it was great animation and it has been for awhile
May 5, 2018 10:38 PM

Dec 2014
well finally... now we will see charlotte's past.... I wish they could've at least shown that the shot hit big mom
May 5, 2018 10:58 PM

Dec 2015
finally some good content can someone explain to me how Katakuri can use two different ability at the same time the Paramecia-type and seeing the near future
May 5, 2018 11:00 PM

Mar 2012
This arc is finally reaching its climax.
Deep inside, I am wondering about Zoro-tachi's story.
May 5, 2018 11:13 PM

Sep 2013
Kind of slow but big mom finally screams and the germa are saved.
May 6, 2018 1:17 AM

Mar 2018
Fuckin hell do they think we have the memory of a goldfish or what. Why the fuck did they have to show a flashback of what brook told luffy like last episode?
May 6, 2018 1:24 AM

Oct 2015
Jirokissaw said:
finally some good content can someone explain to me how Katakuri can use two different ability at the same time the Paramecia-type and seeing the near future

His candy abilities come from a demon fruit (mochi mochi no mi).
His future-seeing ability is actually observation haki. He just happens to be an extremely powerful haki-user. I'm not sure if they have already said it in the anime, but I don't think it's a spoiler at all at this point.

If you want to know a little bit more about his haki:

---

The episode itself was okay. I wish the animation was better at least during the important moments. I was waiting for Sanji to save his "family". In the manga I remember it felt so badass. I was expecting them to make the animation much better at that scene, but no. The slow pacing also took away a lot from that moment. The guns were cocked, the triggers were almost pulled, and we still had minutes before Sanji's arrival.

May 6, 2018 1:30 AM

Dec 2015
Slim_Lamie said:
Jirokissaw said:

His candy abilities come from a demon fruit (mochi mochi no mi).
His future-seeing ability is actually observation haki. He just happens to be an extremely powerful haki-user. I'm not sure if they have already said it in the anime, but I don't think it's a spoiler at all at this point.

If you want to know a little bit more about his haki:

---

The episode itself was okay. I wish the animation was better at least during the important moments. I was waiting for Sanji to save his "family". In the manga I remember it felt so badass. I was expecting them to make the animation much better at that scene, but no. The slow pacing also took away a lot from that moment. The guns were cocked, the triggers were almost pulled, and we still had minutes before Sanji's arrival.

Ah i see now i think it's a bit like enel ability when he fighted luffy thank you.
May 6, 2018 1:32 AM

Mar 2015
My brother, who watches zero anime, passes by during the Big Mom scream scene and even he noted the considerable difference in animation quality leading up to and after the sequence!

Other than that, it was refreshing to finally see Sanji in a place of power over the family who threw him out!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 6, 2018 2:57 AM

Apr 2018
Nice ep and i am exited to see big mama's
backstory but i really hate how during yhe fights everyone seams to miss a shit ton of oportunities like it gets annoying
May 6, 2018 3:02 AM

Sep 2014
I liked the fights here and there. Judge will probably want to commit seppuku after his butt was saved by Sanji of all people lol It was better than last week's episode but now I really want to see Elbaf. Big Mom is still a fugly kid just like she was in the manga lol
May 6, 2018 3:02 AM

Mar 2016
Sanji is being a badass in this episode, a kind badass!
Brook is really helpful in this arc so far! Underworld's ice VS Oven's heating ability sounds like a perfect match for a fight.

Big Mom's backstory is about to begin...
May 6, 2018 3:16 AM

Nov 2016
This episode felt more dragged than others,even tho they adapted exactly one chapter again.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 6, 2018 3:24 AM
Jul 2017
FMmatron said:
This episode felt more dragged than others,even tho they adapted exactly one chapter again.

Exaclty why I'm choosing to read up on the manga alongside the anime. Don't get me wrong I love the anime, but waiting a week for just one chapter of source material gets long and overall hurts the quality of the anime.
May 6, 2018 3:48 AM

Feb 2013
Sanji saved his family just in time.
May 6, 2018 4:52 AM
Aug 2017
I cant understand why most of you enjoyed this Episode.. The anime has all the problems it always had. (since the TS)
It was dragged out, the art and animation was at best mediocre, It made no sense. I mean why were Luffy and Sanji running around for 15 Minutes and Chopper, Nami and Carrot are instantly at the Vinsmokes? And the Sanji part standing on the table looked horrible.
Only a few things were good this episode: Brook vs Oven (altough filler and making no sense), Daifukus Ghost dissapearing and Big Moms part. The Scream was very good. Am i the only one who sees it that way or does someone agree?
May 6, 2018 7:20 AM

Nov 2015
Brook is da real MVP in this arc
May 6, 2018 7:57 AM
Jan 2014
How did Bege make it to the new world if he can only use guns, I was expecting some haki infused bullets or something. He can't even touch Katakuri like this, how does he still not know...
May 6, 2018 8:56 AM

May 2017
With every further step Katakuri did to stop Luffy, the future he saw was becoming darker and darker.
May 6, 2018 9:37 AM
Jan 2018
I just know the assassination is going to fail.
May 6, 2018 9:49 AM

Mar 2018
Can't wait for the next ep. Big mom memories.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 6, 2018 3:28 PM

Jul 2013
Sanji got a good amount of screentime in this episode. I think the highlight was when he freed his family if you can call them so. His pose on the table looked super bad ass. They also got their raid suits back which will help in the fight against Big Mom.

Katakuris ability is pretty insane. He also can't get hit by bullets like Luffy. Hopefully we will see more of him in the next couple episodes.

Luffy managed to show Big Mom the destroyed picture of Mother Carmel. Her scream afterwards was just crazy. It's weird that she's so vulnerable but vent haoshoku haki at the same time. Nobody could do anything without earplugs.

Hmm it's sad that we don't see what will happen now and if Bege will be able to kill Big Mom. But her background story should also be interesting.

May 6, 2018 8:32 PM

Feb 2013
Well they FINALLY got her to scream but now we have to sit through a backstory, really? Do we REALLY need a backstory for her? Also this was such a terrible time to do it, the last few episodes dragged on long enough, now right before the *climax* they're like *LUL TIME TO LRN Y BIG MOM IS SO EVUL* :/. I honestly don't care why, and I don't wanna see another sob story.. Hopefully its only 1 episode.

Also when did Brook become so strong? He seemed almost useless prior to this Arc but now all of a sudden hes tanking an Emperor and taking on some of her top guys. Not complaining just curious. It'd be nice if they buffed up some more of Luffy's crew and make them useful again, specifically Usopp/Chopper.

Jared93 said:
I cant understand why most of you enjoyed this Episode.. The anime has all the problems it always had. (since the TS)
It was dragged out, the art and animation was at best mediocre, It made no sense. I mean why were Luffy and Sanji running around for 15 Minutes and Chopper, Nami and Carrot are instantly at the Vinsmokes? And the Sanji part standing on the table looked horrible.
Only a few things were good this episode: Brook vs Oven (altough filler and making no sense), Daifukus Ghost dissapearing and Big Moms part. The Scream was very good. Am i the only one who sees it that way or does someone agree?

Trust me you aren't. I just don't think most of us bother to comment anymore.
May 7, 2018 5:21 AM
Aug 2017
Shape430 said:
Well they FINALLY got her to scream but now we have to sit through a backstory, really? Do we REALLY need a backstory for her? Also this was such a terrible time to do it, the last few episodes dragged on long enough, now right before the *climax* they're like *LUL TIME TO LRN Y BIG MOM IS SO EVUL* :/. I honestly don't care why, and I don't wanna see another sob story.. Hopefully its only 1 episode.

Also when did Brook become so strong? He seemed almost useless prior to this Arc but now all of a sudden hes tanking an Emperor and taking on some of her top guys. Not complaining just curious. It'd be nice if they buffed up some more of Luffy's crew and make them useful again, specifically Usopp/Chopper.

Jared93 said:

Shape430 said:

Jared93 said:

Aah, thats why.
Btw Big Moms Flashbacks probably gonna be 2 episodes. (it was 2 chapters, and you know how the anime works)
But, trust me, in the end, its gonna be worth it.
And Brook shouldnt be so strong. Oven is a powerhouse!
May 7, 2018 6:21 AM

May 2014
Admiral_Carapils said:
Brook is da real MVP in this arc

Agreed, I thought the same thing after watching this episode.
Just Monika.
May 7, 2018 6:55 AM

Oct 2017
Jirokissaw said:
`Cause Paramecia-type is devil-fruit´s power and the ability to see the future is an advanced haki
May 7, 2018 1:23 PM
EDM ❤

May 2012
Really good episode unlike next one it seems, really not attached enough to her to care about her past.
May 8, 2018 12:05 AM

Dec 2013
Brook continues being the MVP of the arc.

Perosperos really took his time killing

Sanji standing on the table looked badass!
May 8, 2018 1:48 AM

Jul 2010
I was starting to work on some theory about this mother Caramel ,but i guess we will know more in the next episode :D
May 8, 2018 8:24 AM

Apr 2018
People complaining about the flashbacks that we will get lol
If anything the next ep is the ep i was the most exited for in this arc
Don't want big mama to be evil for the sake of being evil i need some explanations and gotta know what the fuck is the deal with mama carmel
Don't get how can people complain about this
May 8, 2018 10:33 PM

Jul 2013
Oh man they really did save Sanji's fucking family and who am I kidding being disappointed when I knew from the very beginning that the Strawhats will save them and then they'll band up to fight a common enemy. This is One Piece for fucks sake they won't let something like letting family members die, it's like hoping they won't censor the blood on news or curses on talkshows. Also Big Mom's past seems interesting I just hope they will not drag it longer.
May 9, 2018 4:09 PM

Jul 2009
Yo, Brook really is the MVP this arc. He gets shit done!
May 9, 2018 4:35 PM

Apr 2013
Katakuri is really hard to stop, though Luffy still reached his objective. Next episode is a flashback episode? Meh...
May 16, 2018 6:41 AM

Jul 2008
Well we're finally to the backstory....then it's buckle up time.
Aug 8, 2018 1:00 PM

Dec 2016
Oh man would I love to see all of the Vinsmokes actually say something nice to Sanji, especially his dickhead brothers lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 11, 2018 9:37 AM

May 2010
That took too long, but finally something big is happening >_< So far their plan is kinda working, but something’s gotta go wrong, right?
Oct 17, 2018 3:20 AM

Dec 2007
Kehron said:
FMmatron said:

Exaclty why I'm choosing to read up on the manga alongside the anime. Don't get me wrong I love the anime, but waiting a week for just one chapter of source material gets long and overall hurts the quality of the anime.

I agree it felt very dragged which is a shame!
Jan 12, 2020 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
Brook keeps continuing to be reliable this arc. He needs to be careful against Oven though. I am pretty sure the 5 eldest children of Big Mom are powerful in their own right.

I noticed Luffy hasn't put his earplugs on. Did he forget about them or something? Typical Luffy. He did a good job though, all things considered.

Big Mom's backstory next episode it seems like. I am looking forward to it. Most likely it will also explain her whole situation regarding the giants.
Jul 19, 2020 4:59 PM

Jun 2016
I understand that in anime adaptations, speech is a free action. Time flows differently when you read manga, having people stand around talking, counterintuitively, in a moment that should end in a few seconds doesn't actually feel counterintuitive. However, in animation it freaking does. At the end of the last episode, I had assumed that to save the Vinsmokes, we would need to do something within seconds. Yet, throughout this episode we took our time even getting to the build up of their imminent demise, and even including the scene where they were about to be executed, it went on for a long time. We even pointed out the flow of time in canon by having Katakuri tell them to hurry it up. I am not normally the kind of person who criticizes this kind of thing, however it completely destroyed the sense of excitement I had going into this episode when I saw how long it was taking.

That said, the conclusion of the episode was still quite spectacular! We had the common trope of each character, one at a time, defending Luffy as he’s on a mad dash to save the day. It felt good to see Brook fight Oven and Bege, Pedro, and Jimbei all support our boy, but that part is not what I’m talking about. It's really self evident, not much to add upon. Rather, the spectacular nature of the end, to me, came in two parts.

The first was that for a brief moment I actually believed that the Vinsmokes may die. Just last episode I was saying that I have no doubt in my heart they would be saved, but the way that it was portrayed with Sanji getting held down Guts-style, and Reiju reflecting and giving a farewell made me realize that she could actually die and it wouldn't be a bad death. It would be very impactful and subversive to see Reiju’s life of regret, and gratefulness for the way Sanji turned out before being gunned down. Keep in mind, people die more often in the post timeskip then the pre time skip. Having that realization hit me, I began to wonder if she would be shot before Big Mom was triggered. Maybe I was naive or gullible, I certainly feel so in retrospect, but I thought that was effective.

The other part was in the rescue scene. After Mom was triggered, there was a lot of things to love, Bege’s bloodthirsty glee, Carrot putting ear plugs into her huge rabbit ears, the adorable scene of Chopper and the gang helping the Vinsmokes, but I think the part that I am touching on is obvious. That is, the intense concoction of emotions that are at play between father and son. I honestly don't feel like I can properly delve into the intensity that both must feel, but for Judge to go from tears full of regret to potentially a mix of shock and gratefulness for the son that, on all accounts, should have left him to die, and Sanji’s pain as he rushed to their side only to look down into his father's eyes, full of resentment, his expression contrasting the amount he risked for them. Yeah, talk about overwhelmingly heavy with a small amount of shots, great art and writing if you ask me.

Lastly, there's some small things that I adore which I haven't really had time to mention. The first is how great it feels for Katakuri to use future vision, to not show us the future he saw, and then see his immediate face of worry. I don't know if I can explain it better than that, it just feels really good. The other thing is how freaking cool it is that Bege knocks on his hollow chest to notify his allies that it's time. Love the noise it makes. I typically talk about the bigger things in an episode because if I didn't focus on that I'd be here all day, but these small things totally add to the experience.
Aug 9, 2021 7:12 PM

Sep 2015
We do not deserve Brook!!

Judge does not deserve Sanji!!!

DANG the way how Brook snatched the picture back made him look like a complete Rebel!! Brook has done too much helpful things for the strawhat.

And this ought to teach Judge how important it was to maintain human emotions, because Sanji still cared for his family, it's the legacy that was brought by his mother. His other sons did not care at all if they died, it's his fault for making them that way. A true son cares for his family and that is Sanji!
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Luffy Has Some Body Counts ***May Contain Spoilers/Not Beyond Dressrosa Story Arc***

simonitro - Apr 14

19 by elderonn »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 328 Discussion

TheWestExit - Oct 29, 2007

39 by bakakisima »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1100 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 6

160 by Dani_1fssh »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 49 Discussion

Kaizokuou - Aug 9, 2009

49 by boterbloempje »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 123 Discussion

VARIAchan - Dec 19, 2009

45 by kejora »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.