Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2018 5:24 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa, a demonic mouth in the back of her head. That's creepy.

The supernatural entities from this series are really getting more dangerous too. I mean, a snake demon spirit. Neko still carries a good amount of action into this series. She's been impressive ever since she first appeared.
Apr 14, 2018 6:07 PM
Apr 2016
This episode was absolutely stunning and well done. Feel bad for all of those people who dropped it at episode 2 because of an "animation drop" or that it "lost its hype", since that came back immediately with episode 3.

Loved it, loved it, loved it. Especially as an old fan of the series.

Rollercoaster of feels. I love how this adaption is truly making things relatable to the viewers, as well. Showing us our world and society as it is, 2018 is doing amazing.
Apr 14, 2018 9:33 PM

Sep 2015
Its weord tp see Kitaro become a tsundere for a moment......

2018 really playing with the current society of humanity.
Into the Internet!
Apr 14, 2018 10:19 PM

Mar 2010
I'm having a lot of fun with this series. This episode was a blast and comfy and I'm really interested in the more linear plot they are foreshadowing since the beggining.

Feel bad for the people who aren't watching this for what they're missing. This is probably this season's show I'm enjoying the most, alongside Captain Tsubasa and the new Lupin III series so far.
Apr 14, 2018 10:35 PM

Jul 2016
DBS fanboys MUST BE STOPPED.
Just kidding, but I really think Kitaro doesn't deserve that 6.99/10 just because it's replacing Dragon Ball.

I can't remember the last time I had so much fun with a monster-of-the-week format shonen, especially one so well executed.
Your favorite anime is cringe. My favorite anime is a masterpiece.

Apr 14, 2018 10:54 PM

Jul 2016
This is a fantastic anime. I'm not familiar with the source material but even though I'm watching a lot of seasonals this is one of my favorites. Why is it rated so low?

Anyway I would've died had that been me my phone hasn't left silent mode in a long time...
Apr 14, 2018 11:50 PM
Apr 2016
yuurishibooty said:
This is a fantastic anime. I'm not familiar with the source material but even though I'm watching a lot of seasonals this is one of my favorites. Why is it rated so low?

Anyway I would've died had that been me my phone hasn't left silent mode in a long time...

A lot of people came in and rated it low then set it to "dropped", just because it "replaced" DBS so Kitaro can get bad reputation. Like the review policy, ratings should only count after a user watches at least 10 episodes of a 50+ episode long Anime, but then again people can easily get past that by setting their "episodes watched" to 10 and then rating it, even if they haven't watched that many.

It's their loss, though. At this point, I'm pretty tired of dealing with hypercritical people and hurt DBS fans-
Apr 14, 2018 11:51 PM
Apr 2016
DYED said:
DBS fanboys MUST BE STOPPED.
Just kidding, but I really think Kitaro doesn't deserve that 6.99/10 just because it's replacing Dragon Ball.

I can't remember the last time I had so much fun with a monster-of-the-week format shonen, especially one so well executed.

Rating went up to a 7, but we have to be quiet about it, or else they might return with negative rating reinforcements!
Apr 14, 2018 11:55 PM

Jul 2016
Riza_Kurta said:

A lot of people came in and rated it low then set it to "dropped", just because it "replaced" DBS so Kitaro can get bad reputation. Like the review policy, ratings should only count after a user watches at least 10 episodes of a 50+ episode long Anime, but then again people can easily get past that by setting their "episodes watched" to 10 and then rating it, even if they haven't watched that many.

It's their loss, though. At this point, I'm pretty tired of dealing with hypercritical people and hurt DBS fans-

Over the past week I've seen, like, maybe three different reviews of GeGeGe No Kitaro rating it real low and criticizing it in a very general way (like they didn't even watched the first episode but just, like, glanced at the teasers and called it a day).

It's nice to see that they got removed so hastily by the staff.
Your favorite anime is cringe. My favorite anime is a masterpiece.

Apr 15, 2018 1:01 AM

Jul 2015
Nice episode.

The show is getting even better(as it is it was good from the beginning).

Lot of interesting Yokai we are seeing.

Apr 15, 2018 4:38 AM
Jan 2016
This is Toei at they A game when they have good time management and actual good director on board.

Firstly what works well, the storyboarding have been excellent all around, the animation isn't really inconsistent or bad like dragon ball super however limited and used effectively ( wish it was better, however, voice acting, storyboarding and pacing is good so it doesn't detract from anything)

+ good moral message for kids
+ mix humor with darker elements
+ storyboarding
+ color choices, like the shades its really impressive and one of the few animes that Toei made look modern, i really like the shading
+ Art design suburb

- the animation is lacking compared to the first ep that was amazing i knew it wouldn't stay like that
- crunchyroll subs are terrible literally calling neko as Cat san i get why because its the literally translation but thats like saying the characters say Nakama but subs say, friend.

mixed the overarching story, well being episodic and especially this gonna be 50+ most likely idk how to feel about that.

Apr 15, 2018 4:41 AM
Jan 2016
yuurishibooty said:

because its supposedly replaced DBS even though that show needed a break as story wise the Toei and Toriyama is creatively bankrupt.

Plus giving the anime a better time schedule

Apr 15, 2018 8:46 AM

Mar 2016
Neko Musume is best girl of this series.....hands down!
Apr 15, 2018 9:58 AM

Mar 2016
Even japanese knows the force of la chancla voladora, I'm liking this more. Also, the OP is catchy AF
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Apr 15, 2018 2:52 PM

Jul 2015
Intro is freaking great, and the Outro is also pretty dang awesome. Anyway, telling Mana not to get involved now is a bit too late, shes too involved already now that she can see the Yokai everywhere. Her life can't go back to how it was before. But it was just to protect her so it's understandable.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 15, 2018 3:29 PM

Sep 2016
Yeah this is so underrated, the directing and the storyboards are on point, aswell as the OST. OP and ED are catchy. Good anime to watch on Saturday night.
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Apr 15, 2018 3:33 PM

Sep 2013
Good ep with yokai and human drama about coexisting.
Mana is cuter than neko musume but not hotter :)
Apr 15, 2018 3:33 PM

May 2017
This isnt really my kind of anime, but Mana-chan is moe enough to keep me around, especially since she's starting to be accepted.

Apr 15, 2018 6:42 PM

Mar 2009
Well, I think we all Neko Musume is waifu of the season. And based on all the fanart out there, Japan thinks so, too.
Apr 15, 2018 6:57 PM
Mar 2016
Nerd_Zone1 said:
This is Toei at they A game when they have good time management and actual good director on board.

Firstly what works well, the storyboarding have been excellent all around, the animation isn't really inconsistent or bad like dragon ball super however limited and used effectively ( wish it was better, however, voice acting, storyboarding and pacing is good so it doesn't detract from anything)

+ storyboarding
+ color choices, like the shades its really impressive and one of the few animes that Toei made look modern, i really like the shading
+ Art design suburb

- the animation is lacking compared to the first ep that was amazing i knew it wouldn't stay like that
- crunchyroll subs are terrible literally calling neko as Cat san i get why because its the literally translation but thats like saying the characters say Nakama but subs say, friend.

mixed the overarching story, well being episodic and especially this gonna be 50+ most likely idk how to feel about that.

Completely agree with your words.

Just some cheesy blushing, and sometimes the pace goes a bit out of the way, but I certainly like this show.
Apr 15, 2018 9:47 PM

Oct 2012
Riza_Kurta said:
yuurishibooty said:

I think it's good - about a 7. It looks great and the characters are charming but it's mostly monster-of-the-week with really simple solutions. I only see 22 scores of 1 and most of the votes are around the 7 mark so it seems like a non-issue to me.
Apr 16, 2018 12:24 AM
Jan 2016
Gunderroge90 said:
Nerd_Zone1 said:

+ storyboarding
+ Art design suburb

Completely agree with your words.

Just some cheesy blushing, and sometimes the pace goes a bit out of the way, but I certainly like this show.

Yeah also some of the comedy doesn't mix that well with the scenes especially on how its shot, however again still pretty solid, literally it been a long time since i've enjoyed a toei animation show.
Apr 16, 2018 1:28 AM
Apr 2016
modboy said:
Riza_Kurta said:

I think it's good - about a 7. It looks great and the characters are charming but it's mostly monster-of-the-week with really simple solutions. I only see 22 scores of 1 and most of the votes are around the 7 mark so it seems like a non-issue to me.

If people are rating it a 7 because of the "monster-of-the-week" set-up and "simple solutions", it's not very reasonable. Viewers should be going in knowing that this is an Anime centered around Japanese folklore that introduces new Yokai usually every week, and that it's rated G.

GGGnK is set up so that the audience will have time to try to think of ways to solve incidents and teach lessons fit for all ages, especially with that social commentary. Generally, the problem-solving portion is aimed towards children and the social commentary is of course aimed toward an older audience that can comprehend the deeper meaning of each episode.

The short response is, the reason for people giving it that rating is likely somewhere along these lines: "It's a decent anime, but since I'm not into a shounen, monster-of-the-week, rated G and simple solution type Anime, I'll give it a 7."

It's like watching Pokemon knowing that it's about a little boy that goes on an adventure trying to become a Pokemon Master when you know that you're not into that kind of show. The issue for me is that I don't think people should go in and rate an Anime a lower score than it deserves if the chances of you not enjoying it in the first place were high, but it may just be hypercritical viewers, too.
Apr 16, 2018 9:30 AM
Nov 2009
Am I the only one who hates Mana? :(

I began to watch the series with enthusiasm and actually I like it, but that character.... I don't know if I will be able to put up with her along the series xD
Apr 16, 2018 3:07 PM

Feb 2016
After 3 episodes this is my favourite anime of the season. I really like the colour palette of the show and even though the characters aren't complex, they are interesting and their interactions are fun to watch.
Apr 16, 2018 6:47 PM

Oct 2012
Riza_Kurta said:
modboy said:

If people are rating it a 7 because of the "monster-of-the-week" set-up and "simple solutions", it's not very reasonable. Viewers should be going in knowing that this is an Anime centered around Japanese folklore that introduces new Yokai usually every week, and that it's rated G.

GGGnK is set up so that the audience will have time to try to think of ways to solve incidents and teach lessons fit for all ages, especially with that social commentary. Generally, the problem-solving portion is aimed towards children and the social commentary is of course aimed toward an older audience that can comprehend the deeper meaning of each episode.

The short response is, the reason for people giving it that rating is likely somewhere along these lines: "It's a decent anime, but since I'm not into a shounen, monster-of-the-week, rated G and simple solution type Anime, I'll give it a 7."

It's like watching Pokemon knowing that it's about a little boy that goes on an adventure trying to become a Pokemon Master when you know that you're not into that kind of show. The issue for me is that I don't think people should go in and rate an Anime a lower score than it deserves if the chances of you not enjoying it in the first place were high, but it may just be hypercritical viewers, too.

I get where you're coming from and have heard that argument before. The ratings on this site are MAL ratings. So a 7 tells you how it measures up to the MAL community. Nothing more so I wouldn't worry to much if you disagree. And I get that you feel it 'deserves' a higher rating but that's completely subjective. I rate it a 7, for now, because I enjoy it at a 7 level (which is my standard rating for animes). One shouldn't have to watch every PG-yokai-shounen in order to be qualified to place a fair rating and on a similar note one shouldn't need to rate CGI-animated shows only against other CGI animated shows.
modboyApr 16, 2018 6:50 PM
Apr 16, 2018 7:06 PM

Jul 2013
A nice episode with a message of coexistence and tolerance. Also, I wonder if the references to the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games will be a recurring theme.
Apr 16, 2018 9:36 PM
Jul 2015
Pretty good episode. I liked how kitaro and his friends used there different techniques to fight those yokai's.
Apr 16, 2018 10:47 PM
Apr 2016
modboy said:
Riza_Kurta said:

I get where you're coming from and have heard that argument before. The ratings on this site are MAL ratings. So a 7 tells you how it measures up to the MAL community. Nothing more so I wouldn't worry to much if you disagree. And I get that you feel it 'deserves' a higher rating but that's completely subjective. I rate it a 7, for now, because I enjoy it at a 7 level (which is my standard rating for animes). One shouldn't have to watch every PG-yokai-shounen in order to be qualified to place a fair rating and on a similar note one shouldn't need to rate CGI-animated shows only against other CGI animated shows.

There are a lot of people that choose to watch an Anime just based on the rating and reviews without trying it out themselves. I was hoping this adaption would grow the fan base outside of Japan, and it has a little, but that's that. It's likely that not many people understand the cultural significance and won't pick up on the social commentary, so in that sense, I can see why the majority of the rating is 7. It is just this MAL community, so I expected a lower rating and popularity.

I also never said people had to watch every show like this to 'be qualified' to place a fair rating. Online ratings aren't very reliable either way, since it just depends on who has an account to leave a rating, with no logical explanations required.

It's been a long talk about ratings and the mechanics of the show, so here's to hoping we'll have more discussions and conversations about GGGnK itself and what it brings us.
Apr 17, 2018 12:35 AM

Oct 2008
Mana is now more deeply involved in youkai elements!
nice to see Kitarou have more youkai allies! hope they continue to grow more character allies! cuz somehow I feel that Kitarou is a bit weak since he's small...lolz
4/5.

Apr 17, 2018 3:11 PM

Sep 2008
Omg, I fall in love with it more and more <3 Great episode.
Apr 18, 2018 12:08 AM
Jul 2014
That was the best episode so far, looking forward to next Sunday !
Apr 18, 2018 5:17 AM
Mar 2012
Animation returned to much better than ep2. Nice fights overall.
Cat san claws vs snake pretty dope. Colors & dark shading gives this show a nice look.
Nice how they incorporate modern stuff/cellphone into their plot.
Apr 18, 2018 7:13 PM
Apr 2016
matias067 said:
Mana is now more deeply involved in youkai elements!
nice to see Kitarou have more youkai allies! hope they continue to grow more character allies! cuz somehow I feel that Kitarou is a bit weak since he's small...lolz
4/5.

Kitaro has tons of allies, you'll meet more of them as time goes on. Kitaro also isn't weak, as you can see, he gets up after everything and is pretty much invincible.
Apr 18, 2018 10:30 PM

Dec 2016
yuurishibooty said:

Because it's "just a kids show", and besides... with a monster-of-the-week formula, and those never fare very well here.

Nevertheless, it is painful to see that this show that does nothing bad given its main target audience and purposes is rated this low. And c'mon we all know it isn't just DBS fans who are still mad this show took its time slot the ones giving it low scores.
Apr 18, 2018 10:35 PM

Dec 2016
By the way, I'm still amazed how good this is looking considering this is a Toei production, it almost feels it comes from another studio.
Apr 19, 2018 9:45 AM

Jul 2016
Glenfinnan said:
yuurishibooty said:

Because it's "just a kids show", and besides... with a monster-of-the-week formula, and those never fare very well here.

Nevertheless, it is painful to see that this show that does nothing bad given its main target audience and purposes is rated this low. And c'mon we all know it isn't just DBS fans who are still mad this show took its time slot the ones giving it low scores.

Theres nothing wrong with monster of the week stuff as long as it's kept interesting and creative.

Cop shows do it all the time (criminal minds, ncis, law and order) and even some anime (detective conan) and those go on forever with great episodes throughout.
May 22, 2018 11:52 PM
Sep 2009
So who else noticed that neko got upgraded from "chick" to "big sister"? :D
Nov 2, 2018 7:19 AM

Dec 2007
Nice spirit gun man.
Mar 13, 2019 6:52 AM

Dec 2012
The kid got taken.
Neko.
Mana.
Tantanbo appears.
Dat mouth in head.
They got Mana. She is the 13th vessel.
Neko split her open.
How lucky that Mana is directly under Kitaro.
Reigan!
Neko is blushing.
Mana and Kitaro are friends.
Dat ending.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Apr 4, 2022 3:52 PM

Dec 2021
If only the first anime adaptation from 1968 was subbed, it'd help with understanding Kitaro a little better, specifically making his powers feel less arbitrary, and better explaining everything about his friends, rather than just being like "Here they are, you already know and love them". With 97 episodes, things will probably be explained fully soon, but it feels like they completely expect the viewer to already be acquainted with the series. Otherwise, this was another good episode.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Mar 31, 2018

109 by TripleC »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:35 AM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2018

27 by gabrielloki »»
Aug 31, 2023 5:38 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 95 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2020

7 by Punkero »»
Mar 31, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 93 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2020

10 by Punkero »»
Mar 29, 2023 5:35 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 88 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2020

8 by Punkero »»
Mar 8, 2023 5:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.