Forum Settings
Forums

What's the most disappointing anime you've ever seen?

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Nov 15, 2018 2:50 PM

Jun 2016
FMA 2003 was really very well written...well...until the final episodes...
Nov 15, 2018 11:26 PM

Feb 2018
Lunilah said:
Azura_Keros-san said:

I'll kill you for that b*tch, take that back!
Wait you necro'd 2 threads, the fuck??

Don't change the topic, Take thhat back you edgy kid!
Nov 15, 2018 11:27 PM

Feb 2018
Loathsome said:
Azura_Keros-san said:

I'll kill you for that b*tch, take that back!

damn evangelion fags are attacking me

Coz ur brain runs on loli's so obviously you cant understand the greatness of Evangelion!
Nov 15, 2018 11:50 PM

Mar 2017
My opinions are absolute
30charalimit
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Nov 15, 2018 11:56 PM

Jul 2007
Probably Boruto.

I got into Naruto back in 2004 and followed it throughout my teen years and into adulthood. I used to be super hyped for my weekly dose of Naruto manga.

Now... the ending of Naruto was pretty disappointing with the most lame manga final villain ever (Kaguya) who is more of a plot device than an actual character and she's supposed to be the supreme being of their world yet the way she fights feels clumsy and uninspired for a being that is made of ALL the chakra on earth.

Then after that we get the true final battle of the manga, Naruto vs Sasuke, which is the pinnacle of 15 years of hype following this story, yet their fight is rushed and only like 3 chapters long. Their fight at the end of part 1 was way better. Then after that the manga just... sorta ends.

But not really!

Here comes Boruto!

Oh my god.

This shit feels like the most uninspired fanfic ever. The new generation designs are just clones of their parents. It's hard to believe that this is official material.

Does anyone remember the Chinese knockoff "Naburo: The Next Generation of Naruto" from years ago?

This is literally what Boruto is. I can't believe it. How was Boruto allowed to be greenlit when it is about as creative as a Chinese fanfic from years ago!?

The world is a crazy place.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Nov 16, 2018 12:22 AM
Sep 2014
PentagramShogoki said:
Fucking Death Note. Everyone praises it as a deep, complex plot. It was good until episode 12 when it lost it with random things happening like if they had thought about ending that way. I managed to finish it against my will.

IIRC creator said he preferred to keep it shounen to focus more on the battle of wits than on the philosophical implications. It's more just watching a bunch of gambit roulettes play out than anything deep or complex.
Nov 16, 2018 12:26 AM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Off the top of my head my top ten would be:

1. Cowboy Bebop - I've never seen a show so ridiculously hyped up and whilst sure the visuals and audio were amazing it just turned out to be a fucking mediocre Slice Of Life show with two dimensional characters and zero plot.

2. Madoka Magica - This is partially my fault because I thought it was an action show and was already spoiled on the twist but for all the hype it was just really disappointing. Failed to shock me.

3. FLCL - Like Bebop this was hyped to ridiculous degrees. It was certainly stylish but it lacked substance (and the "deep" pseudo-intellectual BS doesn't count).

4. Monogatari Series - The first season was alright and both Owarimonogatari seasons were fantastic but the rest of the series for someone who didn't grow up in Japan (surrounded by the culture and understanding all the wordplay) is just not all that amazing even if it is pretty.

5. Monster - I thought this was gonna be one of those shows like Death Note or Steins;Gate or Code Geass and it started off great. But ended up turning into one of the most boring slow moving anime I've ever seen during the last two thirds. And nothing even happened by the end. What a waste of fucking time.

6. JoJo Stardust Crusaders - Part One of JoJo was good, Part Two was okay I guess, Part Four was fantastic, and Part Five is shaping up to be amazing too; but Part Three Stardust Crusaders was so boring. And considering how many people begged me to watch JoJo and talked about how amazing the franchise was especially Stardust Crusaders this was extremely disappointing.

7. Zankyou No Terror - The show started out great with an incredibly brilliant premise but just end up being extremely lame and annoying, so disappointing.

8. March Comes In Like A Lion - Saw all the critical claim and was really disappointed when I realized it was just a bunch of elitists praising the show for being artsy fartsy despite annoying characters and a lackluster plot.

9. Psycho Pass - Seemed so cool and the first half of the first season was so great! But then the second half as well as the entire second season were just disappointing disasters.

10. Tokyo Ghoul - For the most popular Seinen of the modern era it's second, third, and forth seasons sure were lame. But I wasn't all that hyped in the first place so it wasn't even really that big of a disappointment.
Nov 16, 2018 12:54 AM
Nov 2018
Air. KyoAni can do better than this rushed piece of shit, I even find the Toei Animation movie better by a bit, even though its Toei -- the studio who butchered Kanon with its 12 episode TV series!
Nov 16, 2018 11:30 AM
Nov 2018
Code Geass for me. I'd obviously heard amazing things about the series, as well as everyone ever saying it's like the second coming of Jesus Christ. Thing is, I found the series EXTREMELY boring. I liked the concepts and Lelouch is a cool chracter and all, but it's just not as good as I expected. Bear in mind, I did take everything people said with a grain of salt, but I did expect something really good. I've tried to finish this series 3 times and I just can't.
Nov 16, 2018 11:39 AM

Aug 2016
Probably Guilty Crown, it seemed like it was going to be the next big thing. It had the Death Note director, the Code Geass writers and some amazing production values, all of that wasted on a nonsensical clusterfuck, a lot of episodes were written by different writers and all of them seemed to have completely different ideas of what direction they wanted the series to head on.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 16, 2018 1:38 PM

Feb 2017
bakemonogatari - i would see people hype this up so much and then i watched it and kept waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for it to get more interesting but unfortunately for me it never did.

satsuriku no tenshi - another anime i feel was incredibly hyped up and made me quite excited to watch it but it did not deliver.

tada-kun - i thought this started out pretty good and was heavily hinting at a certain ending which i would've been fine with, but then we got some totally totally different ending that to me made 0 sense and basically ruined what had been set up.

charlotte - lmao another anime i was quite excited to watch and iirc it went to shit and seemed like it rushed the hell out of the ending.

placeholder text
Nov 16, 2018 1:40 PM
May 2017
Definitely Fairy Tail. I didn't think it was that amazing to begin with but I was a decent enough fan until the final arc begun. Then it descended into the worst trash I've ever seen and I cringe at the sight of anything related to Fairy Tail these days.

PentagramShogoki said:
Fucking Death Note. Everyone praises it as a deep, complex plot. It was good until episode 12 when it lost it with random things happening like if they had thought about ending that way. I managed to finish it against my will.
I've never seen anyone call DN deep. It's two geniuses trying to outsmart the other. There are no real implications here, aside from asking the question about capital punishment. In fact, L even calls Light childish and himself childish by episode 5 or so. What did you expect?

Sounds like you went in with too high expectations, or whoever told you it was deep was just dumb.
TaifoodNov 16, 2018 1:45 PM
Nov 16, 2018 5:44 PM

Nov 2018
SAO which I can't understand how Kirito managed to release himself from paralysis. It's a game and the one casting was the game developer which I believe he can never get out of that unless help from outside. But nooo he broke it out just like that. Plus, episode 1 was good with its premise, thought it would be how will they get out of that game but then it just expanded to other games and still call itself SAO. But I guess protags like him made things boring, like the one in Asterisk.
Nov 16, 2018 5:48 PM

Oct 2015
tokyo ghoul - some guy told me how good it was but when i finished it i absolutely hated it.
⠀     ‧     ⠀
Nov 16, 2018 7:02 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Ryu1908 said:
Probably Guilty Crown, it seemed like it was going to be the next big thing. It had the Death Note director, the Code Geass writers and some amazing production values, all of that wasted on a nonsensical clusterfuck, a lot of episodes were written by different writers and all of them seemed to have completely different ideas of what direction they wanted the series to head on.

The visuals are amazing, but the story and characters (except gai in the first half, he was the best and handsome as well) leaves much to be desired, which annoys me.
Nov 16, 2018 7:05 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Prooooobably Koi Kaze. It felt more like a diminuitive take on incestuous relationships sparsed with character drama based primarily on the diminuitive take foundation, than one that seem like the oh-so-realistic take which what I was kind of led into believing it would be. I'd lean closer to pointing someone the last arc of Yosuga no Sora for a more thematic take on it that poses it as a question, as opposed to one that operates off of a foundation of watching the series for the sake of uncovering the pre-concluded answer of how it addresses the theme, which is more in-line with how I interpreted Koi Kaze.

The character drama kind of blew smelly ass to boot, so it didn't really reel me in that way either.
ManabanNov 16, 2018 7:12 PM

Nov 16, 2018 7:16 PM

Aug 2018
To name a few: JoJo, SAO, Psycho Pass s2, Dragonball GT, Deadman Wonderland (heard the manga was really good)
Nov 16, 2018 7:17 PM
Sep 2018
JkayW said:
Clannad. Man I was told i was gonna cry. I didn't get shit except a bunch of big eyed anime girls eating and talking about bullshit.

Umm so does eating and drinking include
?
Profile views make me feel loved
Nov 16, 2018 7:21 PM

Nov 2016
Toky Ghoul, as a fan of the source I was utterly disappointed. The first season ess still nice, tho.

Others are

Ao no Exorcist
Baki
Children of the Whales

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 16, 2018 7:21 PM

Aug 2016
DepravedMagi said:
The visuals are amazing, but the story and characters (except gai in the first half, he was the best and handsome as well) leaves much to be desired, which annoys me.

I don't think Gai was that great of a character even in the first half, but what they did to him in the second half certainly makes his first half version look like Shakespeare material in comparison.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 16, 2018 8:34 PM

Apr 2011
3-gatsu no Lion: Seen tons of praise for this show, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou: Loved the first series and even though I saw a lot of hate for this show, I didn't think it would be THAT bad... boy was I wrong.

FLCL: Praised by so many, but I guess I just didn't "get" it.

Hellsing Ultimate: Another highly praised show, to me the plot wasn't good and even the action felt pretty lacking to me.

Last Exile: Was recommended this and it seemed interesting, but I found it to be rather boring in the end.

Moyashimon Returns: First season was pretty good and somewhat different, but the second season was totally inferior.

Steins;Gate 0: Another disappointing sequel. Seemed like a lot of stuff didn't make that much sense and was somewhat boring, especially since time travel didn't really, play a role until the end.
Nov 16, 2018 8:35 PM
Jun 2016
Ousama : The Game.
The manga was average, but the production for anime, mixed up two mangas and plot of one more manga and anytime flashback starts.
It's so much rushed that this manga would be better if this shit anime wasn't produced
Nov 16, 2018 8:38 PM
Jun 2016
KMH said:
3-gatsu no Lion: Seen tons of praise for this show, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou: Loved the first series and even though I saw a lot of hate for this show, I didn't think it would be THAT bad... boy was I wrong.

Hellsing Ultimate: Another highly praised show, to me the plot wasn't good and even the action felt pretty lacking to me.

Last Exile: Was recommended this and it seemed interesting, but I found it to be rather boring in the end.

Moyashimon Returns: First season was pretty good and somewhat different, but the second season was totally inferior.

Steins;Gate 0: Another disappointing sequel. Seemed like a lot of stuff didn't make that much sense and was somewhat boring, especially since time travel didn't really, play a role until the end.

Well 3-gatsu no lion is a different type of anime. Due to it's difficult genre, it is hard for many general people to not like it.
Nov 17, 2018 3:17 AM

Aug 2018
Taifood said:
Definitely Fairy Tail. I didn't think it was that amazing to begin with but I was a decent enough fan until the final arc begun. Then it descended into the worst trash I've ever seen and I cringe at the sight of anything related to Fairy Tail these days.

PentagramShogoki said:
I've never seen anyone call DN deep. It's two geniuses trying to outsmart the other. There are no real implications here, aside from asking the question about capital punishment. In fact, L even calls Light childish and himself childish by episode 5 or so. What did you expect?

Sounds like you went in with too high expectations, or whoever told you it was deep was just dumb.

I caught the essence but it reaches a point where doesn't make sense with impossible plot twists happening or the characters having fucking clarividence of what would happen like if that was normal. I expected more about the most popular anime in the west, not a battle for who will make the most impossible things to happen like if being smart could answer all the questions.
Nov 17, 2018 3:32 AM

Sep 2014
Dhvanit said:
KMH said:

Well 3-gatsu no lion is a different type of anime. Due to it's difficult genre, it is hard for many general people to not like it.
Dhvanit said:
KMH said:

Excuse me? 3-gatsu no lion is what? You meant it's a pretty regular anime right?
Nov 17, 2018 3:34 AM

Aug 2018
Boruto,Shokugeki no Souma and SAO (all of them are so popular yet so disappointing)

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Nov 17, 2018 10:37 AM
May 2017
PentagramShogoki said:
I caught the essence but it reaches a point where doesn't make sense with impossible plot twists happening or the characters having fucking clarividence of what would happen like if that was normal. I expected more about the most popular anime in the west, not a battle for who will make the most impossible things to happen like if being smart could answer all the questions.
I mean, I kinda get where you're coming from, but the only part I really agree on regarding this is when Near finds Mikami. Everything else is just a shorthand version to keep the audience invested.

Like someone else mentioned, it has almost a shonen level of pacing and that's probably why it became so popular. I've seen others say there are smarter series like Monster, but they're a lot slower (not sure I've never seen it).
Nov 17, 2018 10:46 AM
Jan 2018
man i trough one piece(the anime) was a bit of a letdown for manny people especially those who read the manga so its a surprise to see no one complaining about it (or at least not manny peoples)
Nov 17, 2018 10:46 AM

Aug 2018
Taifood said:
PentagramShogoki said:
I mean, I kinda get where you're coming from, but the only part I really agree on regarding this is when Near finds Mikami. Everything else is just a shorthand version to keep the audience invested.

Like someone else mentioned, it has almost a shonen level of pacing and that's probably why it became so popular. I've seen others say there are smarter series like Monster, but they're a lot slower (not sure I've never seen it).

I expected more of Death Note, but it is my fault, not of the series. I entered DN looking for a mature and coherent story, but I wasn't pleased when I found that the series was a misplaced amount of random and unbelievable events to make those protagonists look smart.

Comparing DN to Monster is quite appailing for DN. Monster has everything DN has, but better done.
Nov 17, 2018 10:55 AM

Sep 2018
Fairy Tail, back when I first got into anime I heard a lot about this one because it was fairly new, so I watched it, but I ended up not really liking it at all. It was just kinda boring and predictable.

Also Berserk 2016 and I don't need to elaborate why this anime sucks ass
Nov 17, 2018 10:59 AM
Apr 2016
SAO, Darling in the franx, BLUE Exorcist, NGNL and Tokyo ghoul. All of these had so much potential but instead they went to shit with either bad writing or being rushed af.
Nov 17, 2018 11:07 AM

Mar 2016
YukiChan3 said:
One of them is definitely Dramatical Murder's anime. The Visual Novel was just so perfect, and the anime was so... WTF did they do??? Just... ugh.
THIS

After completing the VN I had that I NEED MORE feeling and so I tried the anime... And dropped it after minutes
Nov 17, 2018 11:18 AM
Aug 2018
1.gurean lagan
2.guilty crown
3.boruto ,(to be honest it's a 💩)
4.zero no tsukiama
Nov 17, 2018 5:24 PM
May 2017
PentagramShogoki said:
I wasn't pleased when I found that the series was a misplaced amount of random and unbelievable events to make those protagonists look smart.
Eh, like I said earlier I don't think that's exactly true and that it just appears that way due to pacing. Agree to disagree I guess.

Not to pry, but you have Code Geass rated high (I do as well). Lelouch's intelligence really could be seen in a similar light. It almost seems like the rest of the characters are just a bunch of morons (especially in the second half of R2) to make Lelouch seem smarter than he actually is. The plot will be structured in a way to make the protagonist's traits pop and I think DN does the same.
Nov 17, 2018 6:25 PM

Jun 2015
my hero academia season 3

kimi no nawa
Nov 18, 2018 11:23 AM

Sep 2016
Children of the whales. It looked interesting from the netflix trailer but the story fell apart at one point
Nov 18, 2018 12:15 PM

Aug 2018
Taifood said:
PentagramShogoki said:
I wasn't pleased when I found that the series was a misplaced amount of random and unbelievable events to make those protagonists look smart.
Eh, like I said earlier I don't think that's exactly true and that it just appears that way due to pacing. Agree to disagree I guess.

Not to pry, but you have Code Geass rated high (I do as well). Lelouch's intelligence really could be seen in a similar light. It almost seems like the rest of the characters are just a bunch of morons (especially in the second half of R2) to make Lelouch seem smarter than he actually is. The plot will be structured in a way to make the protagonist's traits pop and I think DN does the same.

Can't say I can relate Lelouch to Light. They are smart douches, yes, but the situations they had to front were different and how they solve them was different too. I usually can't find anything difficult to believe, that's why I understood Lelouch's strategic victories. But with Light I couldn't say the same. I talked with some friends about this and they told me exactly the same (cause I thought it was only my view about Light).

Can't say Lelouch makes impossible things too imo. They manage the situations different and I'd say Lelouch inspires more confidence (all the confidence that a megalomaniac with mind control powers can give).
Nov 18, 2018 12:43 PM
Aug 2018
Ancient Magus Bride comes to mind immediately, I’m almost disappointed in myself for not liking it. The first episode took me by surprise; I loved the soundtrack, I liked the characters (initially), I was interested to see how the story would develop, it was overall a very hopeful series for me. That is, until I continued. It ended up being very boring for me and I simply despised the main character, she was so bland and emotionless and dull. Anyway, a huge disappointment considering the soundtrack is so magical and it had so much potential.
Nov 18, 2018 12:53 PM

Mar 2018
SoA like so many other here. It started out so well and the first arc was amazing and they completely ruined it with the second and then turned it into some stupid harem show. Not sure if it ever recovered because I jumped ship halfway through season 2. I was disappointed with the ending of Violet Evergarden but since there is still a movie coming up I am hoping that a certain someone who is still missing will turn up. If that is not the case, I will declare the show as a complete loss and stick with the books.

DEATH NOTE because it jumped the shark three quarter in by making a seriously stupid decision and I am currently very nervous when it comes to SnK because the story seems to fall off the cliff completely. I was already disappointed with the discovery that humanity is doing quite well thank you.
Nov 18, 2018 1:00 PM
Jul 2017
Honestly Mayoiga or The Lost Villiage. I stilled thought the show was ok, but it could have been SO much better. Like, straight up people needed to die. There needed to be more drama and betrayal. More back stabbing and shit. The premise was pretty much begging for people to die but everyone lives in the end. I’m not saying that people dying makes a show good by default but maybe Mayoiga could have been better if character deaths were executed well. IDK that’s just my two cents on that.
Nov 18, 2018 1:04 PM

Jan 2015
fate ubw, after watching fate zero, never been so dissapointed in my entire life, I want those wasted 10 hours back
Nov 18, 2018 4:52 PM
Oct 2018
Bakemonogatari
It started out as an interesting supernatural mystery series but turned into a shitty harem with a terrible ending.
Nov 18, 2018 6:13 PM

Feb 2018
Pandora hearts, every single minute the blonde haired mc says “nostalgic” which just tickles my butthole.
Nov 18, 2018 7:00 PM

Jul 2017
Anohana

I thought it's heartwarming because of the premise but it triggered me more than any anime. It was stupid.

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Nov 24, 2018 1:58 AM

Jul 2013
All the shounen and light novels in recent years, very formulaic and constantly getting mindless praise from kids.
Nov 24, 2018 2:16 AM

Mar 2018
Darling in the franxx

It gave me a huge goosebumps at the start but I gradually lost the track of it as it reaches the ending
Nov 24, 2018 2:18 AM

Jun 2016
Fate/Extra: Last Encore.

I knew they would butcher it.

I just didn't realize how fucking badly they'd butcher it.
Nov 24, 2018 2:28 AM

Jan 2018
Mirai Nikki - Nothing likeable about the show.

Tokyo Ghoul - I don't think I have to mention why.

Beck - Heard many good things about the show, so my expectations were high. But the show was so boring I legit fell asleep during of the episodes.
Nov 24, 2018 3:47 AM

Jun 2016
Mobile suit gundam ironblood orphans:worst ending I seen since King game anime.

Nov 24, 2018 3:50 AM

Jul 2015
Definitely Rewrite.
I still cannot comprehend how you can mess up such s potentially amazing anime.

Also Big Order. As a huge fan of Mirai Nikki, I was quite hyped to say the least.
OP was great, though.

Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - 1 minute ago

0 by Atmogenic »»
1 minute ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

7 by traed »»
3 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 36 minutes ago

9 by nishant0 »»
4 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 3 hours ago

19 by joseifan »»
9 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 12 hours ago

19 by Atmogenic »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.