Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 4, 2018 2:33 PM
Aug 2015
I really loved the 1st Season, and was really hyped for the second. And boy I'm not dissapointed.

But one thing really bugs me. I like the Hina arc but the drama is cranked too high for the given situation.

Yes, being ignored by friends really sucks and is hard to deal with.
She also has to deal with this injustice feeling and the fact that her teacher doesn't provide any help while she should. Yes, Hina is someone who expresses a lot of emotions. Yes, she's "only" 14-15 y old.

But I don't know, she acts like if she's been sexually harrased or if Akari died, there's just an awkward gap between the situation and her behavior.
Just put some scenes in the reality, who would cry that loud, so many times, for so long, for that? It just breaks the immersion and kill the scenes for me :(

I'm ok with most of the crying scenes, but the one at the end of episode 9 and the one in episode 4 while Rei talks about ladybugs to Hina felt REALLY out of place and cringy. They would have been so much better if Hina just hugged Rei with shedding one or two tears.

What do you think?

EDIT: I'm only at episode 9, so no spoiler please
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 4, 2018 3:17 PM

Apr 2007
I think you should finish the arc before making this post.

The drama felt on-point without seeming forced to me. Hina lost a best friend and the rage as well as hopelessness built up inside her... Her teacher was worthless and treated her like an instigator rather than a victim. I'll just say that Hina's tears manifested because of an accumulation of things and not simply because she was being ignored by her friends. Although the bullies did more than just make her a social outcast as can be seen at the start of the arc when she first walked in on Rei and Akari.
KilluanApr 4, 2018 3:25 PM
Apr 4, 2018 4:13 PM

Aug 2016
Have you ever been bullied or tormented? Because that's exactly how it feels.
Apr 4, 2018 4:15 PM

Oct 2012
TheAskald said:
I really loved the 1st Season, and was really hyped for the second. And boy I'm not dissapointed.

But one thing really bugs me. I like the Hina arc but the drama is cranked too high for the given situation.

She also has to deal with this injustice feeling and the fact that her teacher doesn't provide any help while she should. Yes, Hina is someone who expresses a lot of emotions. Yes, she's "only" 14-15 y old.

But I don't know, she acts like if she's been sexually harrased or if Akari died, there's just an awkward gap between the situation and her behavior.
Just put some scenes in the reality, who would cry that loud, so many times, for so long, for that? It just breaks the immersion and kill the scenes for me :(

I'm ok with most of the crying scenes, but the one at the end of episode 9 and the one in episode 4 while Rei talks about ladybugs to Hina felt REALLY out of place and cringy. They would have been so much better if Hina just hugged Rei with shedding one or two tears.

What do you think?

Better watch the whole thing before commenting, I guess. A friend - one of her longest friendships - had to go away because of bullying, and when she tried to stood up for that, she herself became victim of bullying. She tries to fight against it, but her colleagues are scared, her teacher is scared, everyone is terrified of the situation. She feels hopeless and completely lost, she has no idea what to do and people around her seem to not know as well. I think her reaction is damn accurate. I was even scared she might've thought about commiting suicide. Were you ever bullied? Because if you have, I think it's easier to understand the way she feels... And it's not exaggerated in anyway, it's exactly on point.
Apr 4, 2018 4:27 PM

Oct 2017
I was a victim of a bully when I was in junior high school just like Hina. And it's depressing, Hina's reaction is normal and humanly.
Apr 4, 2018 4:32 PM
Apr 2017
It's not so much about bullying but about the people around. who tried to turn her into guilty (teachers)

I felt angry just watching, bullying is capable of making people commit SUICIDE (the anime itself shows this in episode 4) so it was not an exaggeration for me
Artur_MoreiraApr 4, 2018 4:36 PM
Apr 4, 2018 6:24 PM

Oct 2014
You clearly never been bullied before right..?

Hina's reaction was the most real and human reaction as the bullying victim i've ever seen in any form of media. Becase that's EXACTLY what it feels to be bullied.
I still remember my past when i was in middle school. I've targeted as the bullying victim along with my twin brother and it's not rare i've come home crying. The bullying is just getting worst when our class were separated when we are in the 3rd grade, especially for my brother. I'm lucky to have not so aggresive classmate but it's hell for my brother, he got with the nastiest kids in the school, the kid of the school's head commite, he keep being bullied even at the point they make a website dedicated to bully him, IT WAS HELL, but when he stood up and punch those bastards in the face, he got punished by the teacher because he punch that bastard just because that bastard is the school's head commite's kids. I was enraged, angry, mad, but has no power since the school teachers got on that bastard's side. We just keep quiet until we're graduating from that school and we never go to that school again, even it was the school reunion. It was 7 years ago but it still has scars deep inside me, especially for my brother. That's why hina is my favorite female anime character, she just resonate with me so hard when she was bullied, i never stop getting angry and cry along side her. It was THAT painful.
Apr 4, 2018 8:04 PM
Jan 2018
She was sad.

She was just really, really sad, man.

Jokes aside, I also cringed at some of the moments during this arc, but I think that's a plus on the story as it was doing what it was supposed to = make me feel awful inside (and recall memories from school many, many years ago. Oh god why...).
And for the pacing, well... I guess that's just a personal preference. I find it fitting.
nuha_ziriApr 4, 2018 8:19 PM
Apr 4, 2018 9:19 PM

Sep 2015
It's not that the drama was cranked to 11, it was that the visual storytelling implemented by Studio Shaft was so clear in conveying the raw unfiltered emotion that it feels so intense.

I was bullied in junior high school too and from my personal experiences, like a lot of people who posted on this forum and are a fan of this series, I can personally say that the unfiltered presentation is EXACTLY what being bullied at that age feels like.

But like everyone else said too, finish the goddamn anime or at least the goddamn arc if you're gonna comment on being disappointed or not.
Apr 4, 2018 9:32 PM
Aug 2012
It's easy to look from the outside and affirm oneself as superior to the situation.

You can even look back on your own bullying with indifference and 10, 20 years later say "no big deal". And that'ok, just remember that is surely not what you felt at that time.

The injustice, the resulting rage, the need for revenge, OR, if you're on the timid side, withdrawal and depression - all the things that easily slip into a wronged kid's mind.

Hina is a hero for putting up with that s***. No, really.

Apr 5, 2018 4:19 AM

Jun 2015
I think the setup (ep 4) and closure (ep 12) were the ones tougher to stomach because first you need to establish why anyone would bully Hina in the first place, and then the whole teacher succumbing could've been depicted differently, instead of using the black mist (then again that's in the manga, but animated it intensified even further).

But that's the setup (her friend) and closure (teacher), everything in-between that it came to her character and Rei's willingness to help was really great. As shown in ep 5, end of ep 6 (she doesnt delete the blackboard with the insults, she's not as sad as she is angry and willing to fight against it) and end of ep 9 where she acknowledges she did the right thing.

So yeah it's a pity you found her part cringy, since it nails the anger that bullying truly generates in the victim. I was tired of seeing it depicted in other shows as if the victim is completely defenseless, or in only focussing in the bullying acts by themselves as opposed to the attempts to stop it for good.
Apr 5, 2018 10:22 AM

Feb 2018
Yeah i think you're right!! Too much drama made the character a little annoying even if she s my 4th best character in the series :D ....
RoryBurrows said:

hum, i ve been bullied all my life cuz i was a "loner" and became a shut in for a while because of it but that doesnt explain the overpoweredcrydrama
Zuerchtein-MarioApr 5, 2018 11:44 AM
Apr 5, 2018 10:55 AM

Sep 2015
Zuerchtein-Mario said:
Yeah i think you're right!! Too much drama made the character a little annoying even if she s my 4th best character in the series :D ....
RoryBurrows said:

hum, i ve been bullied all my life cuz i was a "loner" and became a shut in because of it but that doesnt explain the overpoweredcrydrama

Being a "loner" and a "shut-in" is a different type of experience than Hina's. I was in Hina's position before, trying to make friends or stand up for one of your best friends when there's an oppressing hierarchy in the class. Trying to fight back but everyone turns against you, and you have the seething urge to get revenge on those people when they cross personal boundaries. Shutting yourself in because you're a loner requires you to not have anything you want to protect and just isolating yourself, like Rei's stepbrother for example- and I am not saying that that type of experience is wrong, but it is unfair to evaluate another type of experience (Hina's) based on your own when they are essentially two different things. Thankfully, I didn't have to experience it to the same degree that Hina did, but it's all a matter of circumstance in that case. Most of my teachers except for one or two were good people and a lot of the bad kids got suspended when they acted up, unlike how things are in Japan where no one acts up in front of the teachers and the teachers sweep things under the rug for sake of image. Still, the same anger, fear, and revenge that Hina felt during the series were genuine and unfiltered, which was an excellent display of visual and auditory storytelling by Studio Shaft and the fantastically descriptive writing by Umino Chika. I'm surprised this is much of a shocker to people in the second season, I mean, throughout the entire first season, the anime did the same thing but with Rei's depression, and since everything is narrated by him (and for the few times it shifts to Hina), it makes sense that they would see the situation in an over the top way. Either Hina's intense emotion takes over, or Rei's panic and empathy from his past (which led him to be depressed) makes him see it in that way. It isn't "overpoweredcrydrama", it is a real look at how people deal with these issues from the perspective of people who are feeling the consequences of it.
Apr 5, 2018 10:59 AM
Aug 2015
(OP here)
Thanks for your replies.
Most people say that Hina's behavior is quiet realistic and transcribe accurately what it feels to be bullied, and it's true that I've never been so that may explain why I don't really get some elements.
Also, I'm totally the type of person like Rei who shut himself and just tank whatever by escaping in something else, so the gap of personality between me and someone like Hina must also play a role.

I never said that the whole thing was totally out of place, but that the drama intensity is Clannad AS Ep 18-19 level, while it should be at little less than that.
For example, I loved the Sangatsu S1 Ep3 drama because it felt extremly real, the intensity felt more justifiable.
But anyway, I was basically bitching and I still love this season. We need more animes like this. Rakugo is the only one that good in this type on animes imo (I would mention Chihayafuru also, but it's not really the same type).

TheAskaldApr 5, 2018 11:03 AM
Apr 5, 2018 11:12 AM

Feb 2018
Draconix814 said:
Zuerchtein-Mario said:

hum, i ve been bullied all my life cuz i was a "loner" and became a shut in because of it but that doesnt explain the overpoweredcrydrama

Being a "loner" and a "shut-in" is a different type of experience than Hina's. I was in Hina's position before, trying to make friends or stand up for one of your best friends when there's an oppressing hierarchy in the class. Trying to fight back but everyone turns against you, and you have the seething urge to get revenge on those people when they cross personal boundaries. Shutting yourself in because you're a loner requires you to not have anything you want to protect and just isolating yourself, like Rei's stepbrother for example- and I am not saying that that type of experience is wrong, but it is unfair to evaluate another type of experience (Hina's) based on your own when they are essentially two different things. Thankfully, I didn't have to experience it to the same degree that Hina did, but it's all a matter of circumstance in that case. Most of my teachers except for one or two were good people and a lot of the bad kids got suspended when they acted up, unlike how things are in Japan where no one acts up in front of the teachers and the teachers sweep things under the rug for sake of image. Still, the same anger, fear, and revenge that Hina felt during the series were genuine and unfiltered, which was an excellent display of visual and auditory storytelling by Studio Shaft and the fantastically descriptive writing by Umino Chika. I'm surprised this is much of a shocker to people in the second season, I mean, throughout the entire first season, the anime did the same thing but with Rei's depression, and since everything is narrated by him (and for the few times it shifts to Hina), it makes sense that they would see the situation in an over the top way. Either Hina's intense emotion takes over, or Rei's panic and empathy from his past (which led him to be depressed) makes him see it in that way. It isn't "overpoweredcrydrama", it is a real look at how people deal with these issues from the perspective of people who are feeling the consequences of it.

Yes,you re a hero we get it xd :D ..... You made my comment seem like i was the one who bullied you :p ... man it's just a show don't copy other people's toughts and feelings and make it your own
Apr 5, 2018 11:49 AM

Sep 2015
Zuerchtein-Mario said:
Draconix814 said:

Yes,you re a hero we get it xd :D ..... You made my comment seem like i was the one who bullied you :p ... man it's just a show don't copy other people's toughts and feelings and make it your own

I am no hero, but I was stating my own opinions. Did you even read it? I said nothing to imply anything of the sort.

Oh well, OP got the answer to his question so there's no point in continuing like this anymore.
Apr 5, 2018 11:59 AM

Oct 2017
What I like most about this anime is its constant tone shifting. Even you had a full-blown drama, depressing episode, it's always the following of the happiness and heart-warming. For example in ep 4, even there is a lot of sadness and Hina crying a lot, the final scene is one of the most heart-warming scenes in anime.

Is it "force drama" or "overdramatic", who knows? But at least, it's not the type of anime that keep pumping tragedy and begging for your tears. The main point of this anime that is the duality of life and the balance between the sadness and happiness and it did extremely well in this aspect.
SUBA1995Apr 5, 2018 12:15 PM
Apr 7, 2018 7:26 PM

Apr 2015
I don't like the arc but never thought it's overdone as in 'overdramatic'. It's about adequately dramatic, mood swings mostly handled well. I did think it was overdone as in 'too long'
Apr 7, 2018 7:56 PM

Sep 2011
As others have said, nah this doesnt even compare to how it actually is, especially that shit with the teachers looking the other way to outright blaming you.

I still remember getting suspended after a bunch of kids jumped me because "i had to of done something to provoke it"

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 7, 2018 11:37 PM

Dec 2013
TheAskald said:

You do realize people in real life commit suicide for being bullies all the time right?

Smell like a case of apathy here.
Apr 8, 2018 1:53 AM
Aug 2015
yalvyn said:
TheAskald said:

You do realize people in real life commit suicide for being bullies all the time right?

Smell like a case of apathy here.

I didn't say that I felt the drama totally out of place, but that it was cranked to 100% (which broke my personal immersion because it felt wrong, contrary to S1 Ep3) while I feel 85% would have been better.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted to hug Hina until she felt better, bitchslap the teacher + highkick Takagi in the face. Seeing Hina's smile back in episodes 10 and 13 was one of the most heartwarming things I've seen in anime, ever :D.

What I said is that, in the execution of some scenes, the drama felt SLIGHTLY too intense for me, that's all, that's just how I feel about it.
I felt a little gap between the situation and Hina behavior, but I'm biaised because I've never been bullied and I'm closer to Rei than Hina in term of personality (and in the way of dealing with problems like that, I shut myself instead of seeking for help).

Apr 8, 2018 2:08 AM

Oct 2015
I honestly feel the same way for that specific arc. The drama feels too heavy that shouldn't be the case; not saying that it should be light but I prefer if it was in moderation although I still did get a bit of insight from it which is nice. Although that's probably my most disliked arc on the whole series despite still loving the rest of it.

Yeah bullying is a serious case but I don't know, the drama revolving around it didn't really rub me in the right way but at least the insight got through me. Most of it was pretty much true with teachers ignoring the fact etc. but it really wasn't as impactful as I hoped it to be.
Apr 8, 2018 5:16 AM

Oct 2012
I think the tone was realistic enough, in fact, pretty realistic.

I'm not sure about other parts of the world, but in Japan, bullying in schools are quite serious. The adaptation and I presume the manga(have not read it yet), accurately portrayed it. I cannot personally attest to it as I have never been bullied before, but understanding the situation over here from talks with friends who are teachers in middle and high school, I think the author of the series did well enough to not over-portray it.

Some people may feel otherwise, but do take note that middle and high schools in Japan are quite different from most parts. There is a reason why schools itself treats bullying case very seriously, far more serious than at least for my home country.
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Apr 17, 2018 12:11 PM

Nov 2013
Same. 9 episodes in and it's so whiny and emo and melodramatic it's rapidly hit Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy. I'm just waiting for this to get interesting again.
Apr 19, 2018 2:01 AM

Nov 2017
Zuerchtein-Mario said:
RoryBurrows said:

hum, i ve been bullied all my life cuz i was a "loner" and became a shut in for a while because of it but that doesnt explain the overpoweredcrydrama

I think it's a normal reaction of Hina. Because we all have different personalities. Some humans are fragile.
Apr 19, 2018 2:28 AM

Feb 2018
RoryBurrows said:

Exactly, for me it's normal her reaction

May 21, 2018 9:57 PM
Sep 2015
TheAskald said:

What do you think?

Exactly, she is making a mountain out of a molehill, how bad can bullying truly be anyway if you just ignored them. I feel like it was drama for the sake of drama and some scenes were truly cringe-worthy.
May 22, 2018 12:32 PM
Aug 2015
Estella_Ultear said:
TheAskald said:

What do you think?

Exactly, she is making a mountain out of a molehill, how bad can bullying truly be anyway if you just ignored them. I feel like it was drama for the sake of drama and some scenes were truly cringe-worthy.

I don't quiet agree, I think you understimate how hard it can be to deal with bullying, especially for some people and at this age.

I just thought it was SLIGHTLY too dramatic. The psychological realism of Hina isn't too terrible, but the way it was executed was really cringe for some scenes.

It is considered as the best arc by the community but imo it's the most flawed (I still love the shit out of somes scenes tho)
May 22, 2018 12:41 PM

May 2015
Estella_Ultear said:
TheAskald said:

What do you think?

It's amazing how wrong you are.

May 22, 2018 8:19 PM
Sep 2015
TheAskald said:
Estella_Ultear said:

I don't quiet agree, I think you understimate how hard it can be to deal with bullying, especially for some people and at this age.

I just thought it was SLIGHTLY too dramatic. The psychological realism of Hina isn't too terrible, but the way it was executed was really cringe for some scenes.

It is considered as the best arc by the community but imo it's the most flawed (I still love the shit out of somes scenes tho)

Idk I still don't think it's that bad if she could just not take it seriously and kept quiet until graduation. Like the bully said she was just stressed and finding an outlet, responding would have made it worse imo.

That being said I have never personally been or know anyone that's been bullied so that's probably why I cannot empathize with hina. The worst I have seen is someone in my class getting ignored by the "popular group" but she still had other friends and she didn't really seem to care at all. (we were hina's age, from 13-16)

Personally I love S1 of this anime but S2 has been a big disappointment, along with the incest-like romance which is quite frankly off-putting.
May 24, 2018 9:09 PM
Mar 2017
Zuerchtein-Mario said:
RoryBurrows said:

To be honest, being a loner really helps if you get bullied. In fact, the isolation doesn't bother me.
What bothers me is the bully attitude. She basically walks away from all of her crime and it pissed me off. I got hit from that, but now I think about it, I'm glad I stood out for myself. (And the teacher are listening. It took me SEVEN YEARS to forgive the bully)

Hina has a friend, and her friend left because of bully. Then the target change to you. She is enrage or being mad is totally understandable. It's even worse when the teacher brush you off. You're incredibly frustrated, but you can't do anything.
I think most of her cry comes from the fact that she is hopeless and can't do anything to change the situation.
May 27, 2018 1:28 PM
Aug 2015
Estella_Ultear said:
TheAskald said:

Idk I still don't think it's that bad if she could just not take it seriously and kept quiet until graduation. Like the bully said she was just stressed and finding an outlet, responding would have made it worse imo.

That being said I have never personally been or know anyone that's been bullied so that's probably why I cannot empathize with hina. The worst I have seen is someone in my class getting ignored by the "popular group" but she still had other friends and she didn't really seem to care at all. (we were hina's age, from 13-16)

Personally I love S1 of this anime but S2 has been a big disappointment, along with the incest-like romance which is quite frankly off-putting.

What is the incest-like romance you're talking about?
There was some incest vibe in the first season between Kyouko and Rei, but in season 2...?

I think season 2 was fantastic, it's one of the very few anime that is constantly GREAT to my eyes. Not just good, but great.
Aug 8, 2018 8:30 PM

Sep 2012
I used to think that the awful parents and kids getting bullied for "no reason" was ridiculous, since I grew up in a private school.
Now that I'm a teacher in a public school and I've witnessed some of the fuckery, girls bullying boys just for the hell of it, students feeling socially isolated in a full class of kids. Parents that are on the offensive and defensive and will make assume you're making accusations about their brilliant (average) child. I've seen it all firsthand and I'm not even a year in.

So, Hina's drama actually resonated with me pretty well. It's dramatized in a way that's well built-up without having too many moments that try to get your tears.
Aug 10, 2018 12:42 AM
Aug 2015
Vladz0r said:

So, Hina's drama actually resonated with me pretty well. It's dramatized in a way that's well built-up without having too many moments that try to get your tears.

And that's where I beg to differ. The episode 4 was a pain in the ass to watch because they tried way too hard to make you cry, like their entire family just died in an airplane crash or something.
Bullying is a HUGE deal, but it's not entire-family-just-died-in-an-airplane-crash deal.
Sangatsu is a fantastic anime, and while people usually think the bullying arc was the best so far, I think it was the most imperfect one (but had great moments), because I felt it was the first time it tried a little bit too hard here and here.
Aug 10, 2018 6:18 PM

Sep 2012
TheAskald said:
Vladz0r said:

And that's where I beg to differ. The episode 4 was a pain in the ass to watch because they tried way too hard to make you cry, like their entire family just died in an airplane crash or something.
Bullying is a HUGE deal, but it's not entire-family-just-died-in-an-airplane-crash deal.
Sangatsu is a fantastic anime, and while people usually think the bullying arc was the best so far, I think it was the most imperfect one (but had great moments), because I felt it was the first time it tried a little bit too hard here and here.

For me I didn't really see it as "trying to make you cry" but more as hyperdramatizing the situation. I agree that the atmosphere gets cranked up to 11 in a few episodes in S2. I can see how it can be difficult for some people to get into the atmosphere because it is so intense. If the atmosphere change feels too sudden, it's easy to go "Hmm, I see what this anime's trying to do to me." I watched most of the series over the span of a few days and watched it in front of my TV, in Japanese without the subs, so I was pretty into the whole thing. Rewatching some of the scenes now, though, they individual scenes do feel kind of corny and over the top if you don't rewatch a whole episode and ride the atmosphere.

They built up the events well though, from previous episodes in the 1st season where they talk about Hina and her classmate's bullying, and the whole idea of being unable to do anything about it, what Rei experienced, is what Akari experiences in the bullying arc. Even as her sisters' caretaker she can't help her with her school drama. She's gotta put on her serious face and clothes to represent Hina, but she's not able to go to toe to toe with an asshole parent. It's a really stereotypical bullying scenario, but I think the atmosphere is what made it cool, despite not being deep or interesting.

The scene where Rei lends his hand out to Hina and tells her she's his lifesaver, though, I thought was pretty well built up to. Someone mentioned earlier that there are a lot of scenes they had to adapt in episode 26 (S2 ep4) and that it was tough to execute effectively. (When you look back, that episode actually has a shit ton of scenes).
Oct 3, 2018 2:11 PM

Jun 2011
Hina is just a depressed crybaby who needs therapy. I don't get why she would be crying in every scene of episode 4 and why the teachers don't do anything about the bullying. Why no one took her out of that school is beyond me. It just seemed like they were trying to rehash something similar to Rei's story in season one with Hina in season two.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Oct 4, 2018 12:34 PM
Jun 2016
pinkarray said:
Hina is just a depressed crybaby who needs therapy. I don't get why she would be crying in every scene of episode 4 and why the teachers don't do anything about the bullying. Why no one took her out of that school is beyond me. It just seemed like they were trying to rehash something similar to Rei's story in season one with Hina in season two.

"why the teachers don't do anything about the bullying."
How would you know it when you didn't even finish the whole arc and about whether someone actually does something about the bullying?And didn't you say the exact same thing by making an entire new thread?It looks ridiculous when u say the same thing in an old thread after making a unneeded thread about the same.Writing a review makes more sense.Even if I don't like Grand Blue,for example,I didn't make a whole thread just to complaint about it.It's just ridiculous.
PapaShangoOct 4, 2018 12:50 PM
Oct 4, 2018 1:54 PM

Jun 2011
PapaShango said:
pinkarray said:

How would you know it when you didn't even finish the whole arc and about whether someone actually does something about the bullying?And didn't you say the exact same thing by making an entire new thread?It looks ridiculous when u say the same thing in an old thread after making a unneeded thread about the same.Writing a review makes more sense.Even if I don't like Grand Blue,for example,I didn't make a whole thread just to complaint about it.It's just ridiculous.

I did do research on how the arc ended but I still wished that the teachers could've done something about the bullying much earlier or took Hina out of school so that this whole arc wouldn't have lasted 13 episodes. Bullying is a serious problem and I was disappointed the teachers didn't believe Hina the moment when she told them about what was going on.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Oct 4, 2018 2:12 PM
Jul 2018
every episode is overdone,let's be real here.
Oct 4, 2018 2:14 PM
Jun 2016
pinkarray said:
PapaShango said:

I did do research on how the arc ended but I still wished that the teachers could've done something about the bullying much earlier or took Hina out of school so that this whole arc wouldn't have lasted 13 episodes. Bullying is a serious problem and I was disappointed the teachers didn't believe Hina the moment when she told them about what was going on.

You have done pretty bad research then.It was clearly shown as to why the initial homeroom teacher wasn't able to help and how well the new homeroom teacher handled the situation.And if you think changing school was an option then there was no point of Hina's characterisation at all.Bullying wasn't only for the show,it was explored as well.Just changing school is not a solution to stop the bullying in the same school.The person who did the bullying was also characterised pretty well and learned the lesson.You need to watch the show my friend instead of making complaints about just one scene.
Oct 4, 2018 3:50 PM

Jun 2011
PapaShango said:
pinkarray said:

You have done pretty bad research then.It was clearly shown as to why the initial homeroom teacher wasn't able to help and how well the new homeroom teacher handled the situation.And if you think changing school was an option then there was no point of Hina's characterisation at all.Bullying wasn't only for the show,it was explored as well.Just changing school is not a solution to stop the bullying in the same school.The person who did the bullying was also characterised pretty well and learned the lesson.You need to watch the show my friend instead of making complaints about just one scene.

But what's the point of changing a light-hearted family's atmosphere and then turning it into such a dark, sad atmosphere? I don't hate dark things but that tone change threw me off and it was a good contrast to Rei's depressive life. So, I don't see what's the point in making Hina such a depressed, serious character akin to Rei not to mention making her cry more often than Rei does. Now, I guess the reason for this is that Hina is a lot more open than Rei is while the latter is a bit more reserved

But it's beyond me why the original teacher had no sense and just ignored the situation and nobody removed her from the school even if I don't know the reason. If I was that teacher and somebody told me about bullying, I would do whatever I can to fix it. I don't know if there was a consideration for Hina to be removed from school or how fast they switched that original teacher for a better one.
Angry_Anime_NerdOct 4, 2018 8:27 PM

Oct 4, 2018 8:34 PM
Jun 2016

But what's the point of changing a light-hearted family's atmosphere and then turning it into such a dark, sad atmosphere? I don't hate dark things but that tone change threw me off and it was a good contrast to Rei's depressive life. So, I don't see what's the point in making Hina such a depressed, serious character akin to Rei not to mention making her cry more often than Rei does. Now, I guess the reason for this is that Hina is a lot more open than Rei is while the latter is a bit more reserved

I guess I can't explain as to why she cried in that episode after tolerating the bullying so much(It was shown how much had she gone through when she wasn't able to take it anymore) much and various other things going on besides it.

But it's beyond me why the original teacher had no sense and just ignored the situation and nobody removed her from the school even if I don't know the reason. If I was that teacher and somebody told me about bullying, I would do whatever I can to fix it. I don't know if there was a consideration for Hina to be removed from school or how fast they switched that original teacher for a better one.

You don't know the reason because you decided to drop the show.And it looks weird if you ask something like this after you have dropped the show.
Oct 7, 2018 7:02 PM

Jun 2011
PapaShango said:

I guess I can't explain as to why she cried in that episode after tolerating the bullying so much(It was shown how much had she gone through when she wasn't able to take it anymore) much and various other things going on besides it.

You don't know the reason because you decided to drop the show.And it looks weird if you ask something like this after you have dropped the show.

I haven't replied earlier because I've been so busy but

I had to ask that because I didn't get to finish the show and I wanted to know what happens in it even if it might be spoilers.

Oct 7, 2018 10:27 PM
Jun 2016
pinkarray said:
PapaShango said:

I haven't replied earlier because I've been so busy but

I had to ask that because I didn't get to finish the show and I wanted to know what happens in it even if it might be spoilers.

Your complaint about bullying doesn't make sense as well your complaint thread in the forum as I have said earlier.You always keep saying you dropped the show so early and still complain about a later part of the show which is weird.And Momo is a little kid whi reminded him that tragic memory.So maybe that's why he sheded a few tears on the spot.It was author's choice afterall
PapaShangoOct 7, 2018 10:31 PM
Oct 12, 2018 1:56 AM

Jun 2017
Wow, just watching it right now and that must be the worst arc in shows that I rated >7, using melodrama as selling point is the only way 3-gatsu could be ruined. Not gonna lie, I always thought that the Kawamotos are the weakest part of this show, but this one is just absurd - everything about it especially the scene where
Whether it was intentionally done by some other bullies or not it's just so bullshit, wish this arc would just end.
Oct 12, 2018 2:07 AM

May 2015
Hatred said:
every episode is overdone,let's be real here.

We can't be real here when it's not true.

Oct 12, 2018 2:24 AM
Jul 2018
This is what happens when people hardly have any idea about the topic of bullying in schools in Japan and then complains about it(same goes for Koe no katachi). It's nowhere near the same as what happens in the west, and it's quite a huge issue there.
Dec 17, 2018 9:39 PM
Aug 2016
I'm just gonna jump in here super late. I love this show, think it's amazing. However, I do think the Hina arc is the low point in the series. It's not bad, but it's something that I don't want to watch through a second time (compared to everything else, which I can watch over and over again). Bullying totally warrants Hina's reaction. The way she acts makes sense. However, I think the real problem is not her reaction, or even how it's portrayed, but the sheer level of contrivance going on in the plot. And to be perfectly honest, this is not isolated to the bullying arc... I mean, it's like, how many super rare dramatic things can happen in this small circle of people?

1. Rei's parents and younger sister died, leaving him orphaned, his entire family were assholes, and the only person to take him in took him in as an apprentice. Like, all of that at once is a lot.
2. So Kyouko not only turns to get with an older married man.. This married man happens to have a wife who has a coma. How often do people get comas??
3. Hina/Akari/Momo have all lost their mother and their father ditched them. And then they happened to meet Rei, who is also tied up in a bunch of atypical situations.
4. At Hina's school, she happens to have a teacher that just cannot handle bullying and literally flips her shit and has a meltdown in the middle of class. I understand that many teachers have trouble dealing with bullying. But it seems very extreme that the teacher would have a breakdown in front of her students. Of course this is possible. But it seems a little... impossible.
5. Oh and of course, the fact that Rei is a genius shogi player. And the fact that he lives on his own with that money while in high school. That is also very rare.
6. And to go one step further, the fact that the master shogi player Souya is deaf because... he plays too much shogi? I mean I know that's not exactly it, but the show made it pretty clear that the cause for his deafness was not physical... It was due to a mental issue. This seems like another exceedingly rare thing...

And so I know it sounds like I'm completely shitting on this show. I'm not. I love it. I'm just pointing out that this author has a problem with throwing together a bunch of crazy uncommon events together for the sake of plot. It's a little contrived. This also happened in Honey and Clover. I mean, dear God, the whole ending with the tiny blonde girl and her hands. It seems like she sometimes makes things happen for the drama, rather than allows events to flow out naturally in a way that reflects reality.

And yet again, I love this show. I love Honey and Clover. I think the character writing is on point... I just wish the author could make these stories without adding in extremely contrived situations for the sake of drama. And that's why the Hina bullying arc is my least favorite here... So many unlikely things stacked upon one another... And, as I mentioned, the teacher breakdown really was the worst of all.
Dec 17, 2018 10:32 PM
Aug 2015
freedombaby94 said:
I'm just gonna jump in here super late. I love this show, think it's amazing. However, I do think the Hina arc is the low point in the series. It's not bad, but it's something that I don't want to watch through a second time (compared to everything else, which I can watch over and over again). Bullying totally warrants Hina's reaction. The way she acts makes sense. However, I think the real problem is not her reaction, or even how it's portrayed, but the sheer level of contrivance going on in the plot. And to be perfectly honest, this is not isolated to the bullying arc... I mean, it's like, how many super rare dramatic things can happen in this small circle of people?

1. Rei's parents and younger sister died, leaving him orphaned, his entire family were assholes, and the only person to take him in took him in as an apprentice. Like, all of that at once is a lot.
2. So Kyouko not only turns to get with an older married man.. This married man happens to have a wife who has a coma. How often do people get comas??
3. Hina/Akari/Momo have all lost their mother and their father ditched them. And then they happened to meet Rei, who is also tied up in a bunch of atypical situations.
4. At Hina's school, she happens to have a teacher that just cannot handle bullying and literally flips her shit and has a meltdown in the middle of class. I understand that many teachers have trouble dealing with bullying. But it seems very extreme that the teacher would have a breakdown in front of her students. Of course this is possible. But it seems a little... impossible.
5. Oh and of course, the fact that Rei is a genius shogi player. And the fact that he lives on his own with that money while in high school. That is also very rare.
6. And to go one step further, the fact that the master shogi player Souya is deaf because... he plays too much shogi? I mean I know that's not exactly it, but the show made it pretty clear that the cause for his deafness was not physical... It was due to a mental issue. This seems like another exceedingly rare thing...

And so I know it sounds like I'm completely shitting on this show. I'm not. I love it. I'm just pointing out that this author has a problem with throwing together a bunch of crazy uncommon events together for the sake of plot. It's a little contrived. This also happened in Honey and Clover. I mean, dear God, the whole ending with the tiny blonde girl and her hands. It seems like she sometimes makes things happen for the drama, rather than allows events to flow out naturally in a way that reflects reality.

And yet again, I love this show. I love Honey and Clover. I think the character writing is on point... I just wish the author could make these stories without adding in extremely contrived situations for the sake of drama. And that's why the Hina bullying arc is my least favorite here... So many unlikely things stacked upon one another... And, as I mentioned, the teacher breakdown really was the worst of all.

This isn't exactly related to the topic but who cares, interesting point.
You're totally right about the fact that tons of drama are squeezed and forced into one small circle of people (you forgot Shimada having a stomach disease, his youger brother almost dying for reasons, and every single Rei's opponent in Shogi has a tragic past or something).
It never really bothered me as I don't think that the role of anime is to describe and simulate accurately reality. It's a different world when it's more acceptable to see exagerated things. The best comparison I could make is saying that anime is a little bit like theatre. In its anime DNA to be allowed to be over the top.

But I don't really like Sangatsu (I mean LOVE, it's my #3 among the 70 franchises I've seen) for its drama, I don't think its a tearjerker like Clannad AS or Violet Evergarden. What I love is the character development, the audiovisual experience (Shaft visuals & great OST), the pacing, themes addressed and especially the DIVERSITY of the anime: most animes revolve around 1 or 2 main ideas, while Sangatsu has so many things going on. I also like the drama, but Sangatsu isn't really an anime I cry a lot watching, I don't think it's its main purpose.
Dec 18, 2018 6:25 AM
Aug 2016
Lol you are right... I got very sidetracked. And I realized something... if all these other parts of the show have contrived drama... then that alone shouldn't be enough for me not to like the show.

And I think i've figured it out. I think the problem is actually Hina's character, and her lack of development in this arc. She basically is a perfectly kind-hearted girl helps out another girl and gets bullied for it, she gets sad because of the bullying, but then she moves past it. She doesn't really change... she just endures a sad thing. And, maybe htis is just me, but she felt so perfect that it was a bit annoying. So much time focused on this character that was already doing the right thing... Who already knew what the right thing was. It was so much more interesting to see Akari struggle with how to handle Hina... when she felt guilty for thinking Hina should have "handled it better"... when she had trouble going into the school to talk with the teacher. Those moments showed her weakness, and it showed her overcoming them.

And to be clear, I don't completely hate Hina, I just think she's fairly one-sided, and it shows in this arc, since there's so much time spent on her alone. There was no lesson she had to learn except "other people are sometimes shitty and you have to toughen up and stick to your guns," and while that's a good lesson... I just felt it would have been far more relatable if Hina's reaction to the whole thing hadn't been so angelic.

And maybe I'm just not as good of a person as Hina, and that's why I don't find it relatable... Because I don't see normal young girls acting the same way. It's like, can you name a single thing that Hina did wrong? Did she ever make a mistake? She didn't... Her story is not relatable to most of the young girls out there who are a bit selfish, who are a bit shallow, who are a bit timid, who have reservations about sticking up for others. Hell, if it had been as simple as her hesitating to stand up for her friend. If there had been a moment where she thought "wait... I dont' want to deal with this"... and then she shook it off and went through with it despite her fears. That might have been enough.

But I do still stand by the teacher thing. That meltdown always felt a bit much
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 3-gatsu no Lion is getting a season 3 ( 1 2 )

ranzer - May 26, 2020

68 by Gaurxv »»
Apr 22, 4:56 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

247 by Matdredalia »»
Apr 13, 11:24 PM

» 2023: Who else hasn't given up hope for S3?

FMmatron - Jan 10, 2023

43 by DatRandomDude »»
Apr 4, 9:26 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2018

197 by anshumankrsingh »»
Mar 30, 5:03 AM

» Series recap before reading the manga

Lakitu64 - Mar 12

4 by Lakitu64 »»
Mar 14, 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.