Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 15, 2018 10:50 AM

Feb 2016
Imaishi said:
Saucy said:

Which is an even further argument against number scoring. If you gravitate toward things you're more likely to enjoy, you're not being objective. The whole point of a number scale is to be as objective as possible.

No. It's not the point, like at all. Why would that be the case?
It's meant as the quickest (and least insightful, but gives the general idea of perceived quality and enjoment) way for one to give their opinion of the show

it was never meant to be objective

Yes it was. Numbers are inherently objective. One hour from now is always one hour from now. -10 Celcius is always 10 degrees more than -20 Celcius.

The whole point of reducing things into numbers is to provide an objective scale of comparison between two things. A number score means nothing without comparison, but when you apply that to art, the value of numbering quickly breaks down.

I cannot conceive of what else you could possibly think when you see a 9/10 other than a 9/10 is objectively better than an 8/10, which is exactly what a number scale is meant to represent. If you rate one anime a 5/10 and another an 8/10, you cannot logically claim that the former is better than the latter. Of course, it may very well be that you like the 5/10 more than the 8/10, but in that instance, the numbers contradict your evaluation, which negates the purpose of the scoring system.

You can argue about what exactly the scare measures, like for instance whether it measures the merit/quality of the anime or simply user enjoyment, but it is still objective. It is still purporting to compare something as being objectively "better" or "worse" than something else. In the realm of art, I think it's utterly useless and the fact that you don't perceive it to be objective just proves that number scores have little value in letting us know if something is worth our time.

Mar 15, 2018 10:59 AM

Feb 2016
jal90 said:
@Saucy I think I haven't explained myself well enough. The aggregate score doesn't give a fuck about personal interpretation. It picks data and displays it after applying a formula that is the same for every entry. It's pure statistics, and yes, it's undeniable and objective because regardless of intent or reasoning the process is the same every time and is standardized. So no matter if you rate a show a 9 because it's good to you or because it's a masterpiece, it means and weighs the exact same for the average and ranking in the site.

But that's exactly my point. It's utterly useless. It's objectivity is only in the fact that it does statistic analysis on things which are inherently qualitative. Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes are complete garbage for this exact reason.

In my opinion, if you're going to use numbers, then break down the medium into parts to evaluate such as sound design, art design, plot, etc. At least then you can break down the difference between two movies or anime with the same score to see where their weaknesses and strengths lie.

Mar 15, 2018 11:14 AM

Oct 2010
Saucy said:
But that's exactly my point. It's utterly useless. It's objectivity is only in the fact that it does statistic analysis on things which are inherently qualitative. Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes are complete garbage for this exact reason.

Yes, and my point is that you are asking for something that right from the beginning is not intended and the moment it allows any account to rate at will can't pursue. What you set as useless is related to a purpose that the tool has no reason or intent to cover.

On the other hand, evaluation of anime is qualitative but it can be made ordinal as soon as we compare and decide that one is better than the other. With that taken into account it makes sense to apply a number scale.

Saucy said:
In my opinion, if you're going to use numbers, then break down the medium into parts to evaluate such as sound design, art design, plot, etc. At least then you can break down the difference between two movies or anime with the same score to see where their weaknesses and strengths lie.

Uhm, I am totally against that. It is already implemented for reviews and it's even actively encouraged by the staff, and I just don't see the point. Breaking down into parts to me ignores the fundamental view of the bigger picture and if anything judgements should work towards finding the connections between these parts and why they work as a whole. It's obviously up for debate and the staff itself doesn't agree with me but quite often when I see sound, art, plot, characters and enjoyment rated and commented separately in reviews I miss the explanation on how they combine and what makes this combination work or not.
Mar 15, 2018 11:18 AM
Jul 2015
It's good imo. Generally, anime series with ratings below 7 are bad or too generic to be worth watching.

It saves me from wasting my time and stops my ever growing "Dropped list" from increasing in size too fast
Mar 15, 2018 11:25 AM

Oct 2010
By the way, I think you may find the rating system of Animenewsnetwork interesting, @Saucy. It's not numerical, the labels are tags like "Not really good", "Bad", "Great" or "Masterpiece".
Mar 15, 2018 11:33 AM

Feb 2016
jal90 said:
Saucy said:

Yes, and my point is that you are asking for something that right from the beginning is not intended and the moment it allows any account to rate at will can't pursue. What you set as useless is related to a purpose that the tool has no reason or intent to cover.

On the other hand, evaluation of anime is qualitative but it can be made ordinal as soon as we compare and decide that one is better than the other. With that taken into account it makes sense to apply a number scale.

Saucy said:

Uhm, I am totally against that. It is already implemented for reviews and it's even actively encouraged by the staff, and I just don't see the point. Breaking down into parts to me ignores the fundamental view of the bigger picture and if anything judgements should work towards finding the connections between these parts and why they work as a whole. It's obviously up for debate and the staff itself doesn't agree with me but quite often when I see sound, art, plot, characters and enjoyment rated and commented separately in reviews I miss the explanation on how they combine and what makes this combination work or not.

Again. What I'm not asking anything of the scoring system. I am simply telling you what it is meant to accomplish. You obviously disagree with what numbers represent and since I've already gone at length about why your disagreement doesn't make sense, I don't want to repeat myself. Numbers are inherently objective and you admit that yourself when you say:

"it can be made ordinal as soon as we compare and decide that one is better than the other."

This is the fundamental flaw at applying numbers to compare which is "better" than the other. Not only is the evaluation of "better" extremely subjective, it doesn't even map onto the values people assign to numbers. The idea of "better" only works in an internal system where the only reference point is your own opinion. Only in the context of your own evaluation does it make sense to say that yes, 7 is really worse than 8. But when you start mixing your 7's with other people's 7's, the value of 7 stretches beyond any meaning. Some people's 7's are basically the most terrible anime shows ever. Some people's 7's are amazing anime shows that are rated higher by many others. It just doesn't make sense to combine these numbers into an aggregate score.

Now, statistically, maybe the discrepancies between how people see a 7/10 might average out, but I don't really know. I'm inclined to think that no, they won't, and my evidence is simply the fact that average-quality anime do not have an average-quality scores.

And again, your opposition to breaking down anime into technical parts just further undermines the scoring system. Breaking down into categories is even more objective and even more contextual for consumers, yet it ignores the whole picture. Sure. But you can't have it both ways. You can't tell me that I can put an objective number on "the whole picture," but I can't break it down into categories and score them individually. It doesn't work like that.

Mar 15, 2018 11:38 AM

Feb 2016
jal90 said:
By the way, I think you may find the rating system of Animenewsnetwork interesting, @Saucy. It's not numerical, the labels are tags like "Not really good", "Bad", "Great" or "Masterpiece".

I am aware. Eurogamer uses a similar rating system.

I generally don't care for reviews or ratings. If I want to buy something, I will buy it.

The only kinds of reviews I care about are for consumer products. When it comes to art, there is really no place for ratings.

The best I can say is find a reviewer who shares a lot of the same values and opinions with you, that way, you can trust their opinion, because at the end of the day, it is opinion.

We can all pretend to be armchair movie critics, but it's a very different thing to say: "I liked movie X" versus: "you should buy movie X."

Mar 15, 2018 11:43 AM

Mar 2016
I've stopped rating for a few reasons. First, because I've realized that after a while, maybe a few months, I'll feel tempted to reevaluate my entire list's ratings and re-rate each anime from scratch. Second, my perception of an anime can change from time to time. Third, in many cases I have to rack my brains before giving an anime a score. Sometimes it's because I'm not sure where an anime goes. (for me, how I feel about several anime isn't always perfectly or clearly transitive). Others an anime has so much good in it at certain points yet so much drollery that I don't know where it fits, and I wish I could give it two scores (an example of this for me is Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo that I feel has one splendidly ten over ten moment [the graduation] that punctuates an overall experience of boredom and irritation). No, I'm not going to put the average of the two because that just dissatisfies me even more. Finally, and this might be the major reason, it can be depressing. A 7/10 anime is perfectly fine and better than a lot of things, but, perhaps due my nature, I'm going to be dissatisfied if I have the rating at the back of my head while watching. I feel like I'm wasting my time since there are anime I might find worthy of 8-10 over 10 and I'm not watching them.

So unless an anime really appeals to/impresses me I don't rate it at all.
Mar 15, 2018 11:51 AM
Aug 2016
The fuck are you talking about? Not enjoying shows because of the rating system? Why do people make such a big deal out of this trivial thing?
Mar 15, 2018 12:00 PM

Oct 2010
Saucy said:
jal90 said:

Again. What I'm not asking anything of the scoring system. I am simply telling you what it is meant to accomplish. You obviously disagree with what numbers represent and since I've already gone at length about why your disagreement doesn't make sense, I don't want to repeat myself. Numbers are inherently objective and you admit that yourself when you say:

"it can be made ordinal as soon as we compare and decide that one is better than the other."

This is the fundamental flaw at applying numbers to compare which is "better" than the other. Not only is the evaluation of "better" extremely subjective, it doesn't even map onto the values people assign to numbers. The idea of "better" only works in an internal system where the only reference point is your own opinion. Only in the context of your own evaluation does it make sense to say that yes, 7 is really worse than 8. But when you start mixing your 7's with other people's 7's, the value of 7 stretches beyond any meaning. Some people's 7's are basically the most terrible anime shows ever. Some people's 7's are amazing anime shows that are rated higher by many others. It just doesn't make sense to combine these numbers into an aggregate score.

Now, statistically, maybe the discrepancies between how people see a 7/10 might average out, but I don't really know. I'm inclined to think that no, they won't, and my evidence is simply the fact that average-quality anime do not have an average-quality scores.

No, I didn't admit that numbers are inherently objective. Don't twist my words. What I said is that statistics applied through a standardized formula are inherently objective because they remove bias in their judgement and conclusion, but numbers can be used in any way or form. They are simply tools. This would be like saying that my post doesn't contain any subjective input because letters exist and have a meaning regardless of what I write with them. Obviously that is not the case.

You talk about fundamental flaws and yet the reason why you call them flaws is not grounded on any intent or purpose the number scale as a system has, neither as a tool nor as an aggregate of ratings. So if you want to make this your personal case and preference feel free to but don't treat this discussion as something with a clear and inequivocal answer, because all you've brought is your own conclusion with no reason for me to assume that it factors in the intent of the scale to start with.

Saucy said:
And again, your opposition to breaking down anime into technical parts just further undermines the scoring system. Breaking down into categories is even more objective and even more contextual for consumers, yet it ignores the whole picture. Sure. But you can't have it both ways. You can't tell me that I can put an objective number on "the whole picture," but I can't break it down into categories and score them individually. It doesn't work like that.

It doesn't work like what exactly? Did I mess up again with my wording?

I am not telling you anything. I am showing my personal disagreement and stating why I don't find it useful for myself. I didn't think I had to clarify this but okay. Do you explain me how my opposition to breaking down undermines the scoring system? Do you mind explaining me how is it more objective and contextual for consumers? It doesn't even add more information because the consumer doesn't know how much each element factors in and how they combine. Saying that the sound design of the show is wonderful doesn't really give more information, let alone more objective information (like wtf?) than saying that the sound design of the show is essential to its overall purpose.
Mar 15, 2018 12:14 PM

Jun 2017
It's not exactly a bad thing but neither is it a good thing, some people like and some don't, I like to rate stuff, and make list of all the anime you have watched is cool, rating it may give you the feeling that each show in your list is a unique experience and each one means something different to you,also, I may have given S G a 10 because to me it is a 10 but to other people may be a 1, shit is great tbh, that wide range of tastes here on Mal makes this site and the whole rating system worth having and the experience of watching anime more interesting and funnier.

Mar 15, 2018 2:11 PM

Feb 2016
jal90 said:
Saucy said:

No, I didn't admit that numbers are inherently objective. Don't twist my words. What I said is that statistics applied through a standardized formula are inherently objective because they remove bias in their judgement and conclusion, but numbers can be used in any way or form. They are simply tools. This would be like saying that my post doesn't contain any subjective input because letters exist and have a meaning regardless of what I write with them. Obviously that is not the case.

You talk about fundamental flaws and yet the reason why you call them flaws is not grounded on any intent or purpose the number scale as a system has, neither as a tool nor as an aggregate of ratings. So if you want to make this your personal case and preference feel free to but don't treat this discussion as something with a clear and inequivocal answer, because all you've brought is your own conclusion with no reason for me to assume that it factors in the intent of the scale to start with.

Saucy said:

It doesn't work like what exactly? Did I mess up again with my wording?

I am not telling you anything. I am showing my personal disagreement and stating why I don't find it useful for myself. I didn't think I had to clarify this but okay. Do you explain me how my opposition to breaking down undermines the scoring system? Do you mind explaining me how is it more objective and contextual for consumers? It doesn't even add more information because the consumer doesn't know how much each element factors in and how they combine. Saying that the sound design of the show is wonderful doesn't really give more information, let alone more objective information (like wtf?) than saying that the sound design of the show is essential to its overall purpose.

Well, it's clear you either don't understand how language works or how numbers work, and to sweeten the pot, an "or" could also mean you don't understand both.

Either way, letters are not the same a numbers and I hope I don't need to explain why that's the case since it's so obvious that I would even a high-school drop-out should understand the difference.

Without going into advanced mathematics, numbers have an equal distance between one another, which is an inherently objective quality. Without that quality, statistical analysis is not possible. This is how you admitted that numbers are inherently objective. I don't know why you're trying to fight that admission since it is literally true and denying it leads to manifest absurdity.Why is statistical analysis not possible without objective numbers? The same reason that it's not possible with words. 1 has to always equal 1 for any sort of mathematical and statistical calculation and everything you do in statistics is eventually converted into numbers. But that's not really important.

Yes, numbers are tools, and they are objective tools. If they were not objective, the whole foundation of mathematics and logic would crumble. Remember, mathematics is simply a product of abstraction of logic into symbols.

The whole thrust of my argument is that people are using objective tools subjectively, which defeats the purpose. Crime statistics have faced that problem for decades when dealing with dark figures of crime because for any representation of crime statistics, there is an unreported number hiding in the background. There are criminologists in criminal literature who have expressed the concern that if crime statistics are a "measuring stick," we don't really know how far apart the units are.

That is my concern with using numbers to score art. There is really no way of telling what the scale actually means and represents. A scale's inherent useful quality is a uniform distance between units, but the way you're suggesting it should be used creates an uncertainty that undermines the idea that there is an equal distance between each number. This renders the scale useless, especially when the distance between the numbers is dynamic. It would be one thing to have a scale that is consistent in the difference between its numbers, albeit the distance isn't equal, but here, the distance can change from person to person and putting these different distances together creates a clusterfuck that to me ceases to have any usefulness.

Here is maybe another way of putting the same proposition in a way that you may grasp. If I have to ask you or anyone else why whether a 6/10 means the anime is bad, the scale has already failed its purpose. The purpose of the scale is to convey any given user's subjective opinion of the quality of the anime. An aggregation of that score is meant to represent the average opinion on the quality. Discounting statistical issues with how bad mean scores are versus median scores, if I have no idea what a 6 means to someone, they have failed to convey their opinion. I mean, sure, MAL puts a nominal tag on each number, so when a 6 is labelled "Fine," maybe you can assume their opinion is that it was really "Fine." But the way I have seen most users use the scoring system on MAL and other sites suggests that such labels rarely accurately map onto their respective values.

I truly hope you're kidding when you say you don't understand how breaking down elements of an anime is more objective than simply scoring it as a whole. There are a few methods of scoring aspects of things to end up with a final score, which I don't really need to mention. Suffice to say, the more detail you provide in your assessment, the more information you give. If you simply spit out a score, there is little value in it. Now, if you score different elements, let's stick with sound design, then you can provide more information to people who find it relevant. Perhaps someone is really into piano scores and and colourful art. In that case, Sakura Trick might be a great recommendation for them. But had that information been omitted, then maybe they wouldn't end up watching it purely because the average score was 7.16.

The "you don't get to do that" reference was to your attempt to a false dichotomy of either treating something as a sum of its parts or as a whole. You can do both.

Either way, clearly we're not going to come to an agreement as we seem to not even agree on basics such as what numbers mean. If you think numbers are subjective, go hard. I think that's an incredibly foolish statement. I was simply arguing that people misunderstand and misuse something that is meant to be objective.

Mar 15, 2018 3:21 PM

Aug 2016
"I gave it a rating based on my enjoyment but I guess I really wasn't enjoying the show because I gave it a rating."

Really takes that think'n muscle for a run, doesn't it?
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Mar 15, 2018 3:46 PM

Oct 2010
Saucy said:
Well, it's clear you either don't understand how language works or how numbers work, and to sweeten the pot, an "or" could also mean you don't understand both.

Either way, letters are not the same a numbers and I hope I don't need to explain why that's the case since it's so obvious that I would even a high-school drop-out should understand the difference.

Wow, are you going to stop being a fucking moron for the sake of being a fucking moron, or are we done with talking like people now?

Saucy said:
Without going into advanced mathematics, numbers have an equal distance between one another, which is an inherently objective quality. Without that quality, statistical analysis is not possible. This is how you admitted that numbers are inherently objective. I don't know why you're trying to fight that admission since it is literally true and denying it leads to manifest absurdity.Why is statistical analysis not possible without objective numbers? The same reason that it's not possible with words. 1 has to always equal 1 for any sort of mathematical and statistical calculation and everything you do in statistics is eventually converted into numbers. But that's not really important.

Numbers have an inherently objective quality in their distance between one another and letters have an inherently objective quality in their pronounciation. And yet, I use letters and numbers to convey my feelings in whatever way I want inside these preset rules. It wouldn't make sense if I used the letter "c" pronounced like a "p" or if I write "car" and I mean "bike", and it doesn't make sense either to assume that 3 is more than 5. So if I use the 6-10 scale only and I understand that the distance between the 6 and the 7 means that the 6 is lower I'm using the scale well and I'm applying its inherently objective trait and yet I am being personal and subjective in my use of these numbers and my personal decision to reduce the scale to its higher half. If I write a post I'm using letters and words that exist and have meaning, pronounciation and certain fixed rules for their combination but I'm using them to convey my own ideas.

Statistical analysis works with data. It picks numbers, compares distributions and extracts average scores. And whatever happened to these numbers before is either pre-established by some condition in the formula or the analysis itself doesn't give a fuck. So don't give me this shit of logical association because statistics being unbiased and objective has nothing to do with the data itself being unbiased and objective. Statistical analysis can use qualitative and subjective data as well.

Saucy said:
Yes, numbers are tools, and they are objective tools. If they were not objective, the whole foundation of mathematics and logic would crumble. Remember, mathematics is simply a product of abstraction of logic into symbols.

You are right in that numbers have inherently objective qualities but you are trying to apply this to every usage of numbers and that is a stretch. When you have a number scale to rate and you aren't given any other rule, the only thing you have to follow is the order. In this case, 1<2<3<4<5<6<7<8<9<10. The idea you associate with each of these numbers is personal and if you want the 6 to mean "bad", "mediocre" or "good", it's something that MAL doesn't take into account and the way it sets the tool basically tells you that it doesn't have to. Or else, we would have a different implementation of the scale that I can't figure out right now.

Saucy said:
The whole thrust of my argument is that people are using objective tools subjectively, which defeats the purpose. Crime statistics have faced that problem for decades when dealing with dark figures of crime because for any representation of crime statistics, there is an unreported number hiding in the background. There are criminologists in criminal literature who have expressed the concern that if crime statistics are a "measuring stick," we don't really know how far apart the units are.

I don't know the specific case of crime statistics but if you bring it up you should know very well that statistics work the way you predefine and set the data. It's your job to find the issues in the data that could lead to misrepresentative results and minimize them with formulas and approximations that have been studied and developed specifically for each case, as well as improving their gathering if that's the case. Well, this is a given.

Saucy said:
That is my concern with using numbers to score art. There is really no way of telling what the scale actually means and represents. A scale's inherent useful quality is a uniform distance between units, but the way you're suggesting it should be used creates an uncertainty that undermines the idea that there is an equal distance between each number. This renders the scale useless, especially when the distance between the numbers is dynamic. It would be one thing to have a scale that is consistent in the difference between its numbers, albeit the distance isn't equal, but here, the distance can change from person to person and putting these different distances together creates a clusterfuck that to me ceases to have any usefulness.

No, and again I'm not expressing myself well, or either you don't know how to read (depends on how condescending you want this debate to turn) if you get that idea. This is what I say:
jal90 said:
The only arguable assumption this site makes when factoring in and comparing results is assuming that everybody understand the scale progression the same. That is, that a 9 is higher than a 8 for everybody and a 3 lower than a 4.

And I say "assumption" here because I specifically remember one user who decided to use the scale backwards. The site and the tool allowed him to do so, but when factoring his data this interpretation of the scale was completely lost because his 9s meant the same as mine and his 8s count as higher ratings than his 7s no matter what he thought and tried to apply.

But this was an exceptional case and we can very easily make this assumption a 100% proved fact, so I was probably too cautious here. The very vast majority of people use the scale in a way that they understand the basic relations between numbers and take them into account, no matter if they use the 1-10, 6-10 or 1-8 range.

That said, my problem with you calling the number scale "useless" is, as said, that I associate this term with a failure in conveying an intent and a purpose. If say intent or purpose from the very beginning are not contemplated, I find it difficult to give you that. But yeah, you are not wrong.

Saucy said:
Here is maybe another way of putting the same proposition in a way that you may grasp.

Saucy said:
If I have to ask you or anyone else why whether a 6/10 means the anime is bad, the scale has already failed its purpose. The purpose of the scale is to convey any given user's subjective opinion of the quality of the anime. An aggregation of that score is meant to represent the average opinion on the quality. Discounting statistical issues with how bad mean scores are versus median scores, if I have no idea what a 6 means to someone, they have failed to convey their opinion. I mean, sure, MAL puts a nominal tag on each number, so when a 6 is labelled "Fine," maybe you can assume their opinion is that it was really "Fine." But the way I have seen most users use the scoring system on MAL and other sites suggests that such labels rarely accurately map onto their respective values.

No. The averages of MAL couldn't be less interpretative. A show with a 6.45 is not "decent", "average" or "meh", it is a show with a 6.45 which makes it higher than a show with 6.44 and lower than a show with 6.46. Here is how much the interpretation MAL makes of numbers reaches. It sets a ranking with that and in that ranking you have no way to know at which point do "great" shows end or what is the minimum average rating for a series to be considered "bad".

MAL uses a fairly simple approach to statistics which I agree could be fixed or weighed (and some suggestions have been made), but don't get confused, it's not because it tries to make an interpretation that is beyond its reach. The ranking and its rationale are about as simplistic as they can be. A higher rating means a higher position in the list and that's it.

I could consider here the nominal tags as an attempt to drive the use of the scale into a specific criterion, but honestly, I don't think the site itself takes them seriously. They are... just there. They don't mean shit in the averages and the statistic approach and a lot of people ignore them.

Saucy said:
I truly hope you're kidding when you say you don't understand how breaking down elements of an anime is more objective than simply scoring it as a whole. There are a few methods of scoring aspects of things to end up with a final score, which I don't really need to mention. Suffice to say, the more detail you provide in your assessment, the more information you give. If you simply spit out a score, there is little value in it. Now, if you score different elements, let's stick with sound design, then you can provide more information to people who find it relevant. Perhaps someone is really into piano scores and and colourful art. In that case, Sakura Trick might be a great recommendation for them. But had that information been omitted, then maybe they wouldn't end up watching it purely because the average score was 7.16.

I truly hope you're kidding when you say that having a separate rating for animation, sound and whatever is more useful than having an overall score that takes all of them into account. I also hope you're kidding when you say that something is more objective because it gives more information but I guess that's just a nitpick of mine.

One of the issues with assuming that this method is better is assuming that people are always driven to separate aspects of anime. That is, that there's "art fans", "sound fans", "character fans", "plot fans" and etc. That is reductive. People can be driven to a general aesthetic, a general narrative and a general combination of both. And in that case breaking down into their parts means shit for the reader because they want to know the sum of these elements. To me personally a rating of 9 to art and a rating of 8 to music tell me nothing about how well both elements combine to create an aesthetic. It could have great art and great music but they could be both so unrelated that they don't work together. A combined rating is more informative to my interests.

Saucy said:
The "you don't get to do that" reference was to your attempt to a false dichotomy of either treating something as a sum of its parts or as a whole. You can do both.

You can do both and you don't need to do the first to reach the same satisfying conclusion. I don't see how it's a false dichotomy when you are talking in the first place about breaking down to pieces anime as opposed to establishing an overall score. It's you the one who first tried to oppose both, if you are going to factor in some hypothetical analysis and association of ideas I can very well assume that your "separate ratings" are preliminary and my "overall rating" is the result of such analysis. None of these ratings mean shit without an explanation and a contextualization, that should be the conclusion.
jal90Mar 15, 2018 3:50 PM
Mar 15, 2018 3:52 PM
Apr 2017
its good to rate but sometimes you can look for high rated shows and it turns out they are 4s or 3s for you
MALs scoring is basically like any other kind of scoring
Mar 15, 2018 3:53 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
yes, because if i see cute/hot girls on the cover and a low score then i know i will probably love it
Mar 15, 2018 4:09 PM

Aug 2016
Mmmh i kinda agree, focusing too hard on scoring can take away from enjoyment i've had this problem in the past to the point where it would burn me out. Nowdays scoring feels natural, i don't care about small inconsistencies anymore, but rather value the overall impact it had on me and memorableness of a show.
Mar 15, 2018 4:20 PM

Feb 2016
jal90 said:

Wow, are you going to stop being a fucking moron for the sake of being a fucking moron, or are we done with talking like people now?

I think that's all I really need to quote...

Mar 15, 2018 4:24 PM

Oct 2010
Saucy said:
jal90 said:

I think that's all I really need to quote...

Well, then you didn't really need to quote. Have a nice day.
Mar 15, 2018 4:37 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I don't care about the ratings per say. I don't think they're very accurate either because most the people on here don't know how to rate because everything is a 7 or up. But I don't think it's the worst system either.
Mar 15, 2018 4:41 PM

Dec 2012
As a collector, yes, ratings are good. They show me how much I enjoyed a show relative to others and help me determine which shows to add to my collection.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 15, 2018 4:55 PM

May 2017
Whiskeyjack1k said:
I use ratings just for me. I find them fun and enjoy evaluating shows that way. That said I don't pay much attention to general ratings, nor do I let a number impact my enjoyment of a show. It's all personal at the end of the day.

Same here.

I only start thinking about my rating after I have finished the anime, so it doesn't affect my enjoyment at all.
Mar 15, 2018 4:56 PM

Apr 2014
the scores can be manipulated very easily so i don't take them very seriously. there are many factors that aren't/simply can't be taken into consideration unfortunately, so the scores mean nothing to me.
Mar 16, 2018 5:02 PM

Sep 2014
Saucy said:
Imaishi said:

No. It's not the point, like at all. Why would that be the case?
It's meant as the quickest (and least insightful, but gives the general idea of perceived quality and enjoment) way for one to give their opinion of the show

it was never meant to be objective

Yes it was. Numbers are inherently objective. One hour from now is always one hour from now. -10 Celcius is always 10 degrees more than -20 Celcius.

The whole point of reducing things into numbers is to provide an objective scale of comparison between two things. A number score means nothing without comparison, but when you apply that to art, the value of numbering quickly breaks down.

I cannot conceive of what else you could possibly think when you see a 9/10 other than a 9/10 is objectively better than an 8/10, which is exactly what a number scale is meant to represent. If you rate one anime a 5/10 and another an 8/10, you cannot logically claim that the former is better than the latter. Of course, it may very well be that you like the 5/10 more than the 8/10, but in that instance, the numbers contradict your evaluation, which negates the purpose of the scoring system.

You can argue about what exactly the scare measures, like for instance whether it measures the merit/quality of the anime or simply user enjoyment, but it is still objective. It is still purporting to compare something as being objectively "better" or "worse" than something else. In the realm of art, I think it's utterly useless and the fact that you don't perceive it to be objective just proves that number scores have little value in letting us know if something is worth our time.

It was... why exactly? Because you said so? That's nothing more than you assumption.

Numbers aren't inherently objective. They aren't even inherently objective in mathematics, contrary to what you claim in further posts. They always need a context, the same space, units, you name it. Otherwise they mean nothing and can't be compared. Depending on the metric space, the distance between them might vary, once again, unlike what you're claiming.

Anyway, comparison to Celsius is stupid, because the numerics in scoring system obviously aren't a count of anything, there is no unit of quality, and no way to measure it, unlike temperature. And that's fine. The digits here function as symbols, symbols for subjective opinions. Whether or not one uses the exact words MAL does to describe the specific score doesn't matter, as they still serve the purpose of quickly expressing your opinion, and putting different works in order. Yes, you like a 9/10 more than a 5/10 show. There's nothing objective about it, though, and there is no need for it to be.
The scores work for any given individual, and looking at their list you can see what they like more, what they like less, and get a general idea of their taste, and if it's similar to yours, you can use it to find new stuff to watch.
They also, taking the average, work for anime community as a whole, show what people tend to like and dislike. Even if people use the scale in different ways, they all work on increasing or decreasing the average score, and contribute to making something that represents a popular opinion.

It's you who's trying to force strict and objective meaning on the scoring system, but there is no need for that, and I sincerely doubt that was anyone's intention, because you don't need to think long to see it wouldn't make any sense.
There's no need for any of that for it to work well.

No one is arguing such a scoring system is perfect, it certainly isn't. It's not very insightful either, but it serves its purpose. For how quick, simple and intuitive numbers are, it does a very good job.
It can't replace well thought out and written opinions and reviews, but it doesn't require effort yet still provides some useful information. The numbers in it don't have to behave like a scale of temperature to make sense.

ImaishiMar 16, 2018 5:11 PM
Mar 16, 2018 5:18 PM

Feb 2016
Imaishi said:
Saucy said:

It was... why exactly? Because you said so? That's nothing more than you assumption.

Numbers aren't inherently objective. They aren't even inherently objective in mathematics, contrary to what you claim in further posts. They always need a context, the same space, units, you name it. Otherwise they mean nothing and can't be compared. Depending on the metric space, the distance between them might vary, once again, unlike what you're claiming.

Anyway, comparison to Celsius is stupid, because the numerics in scoring system obviously aren't a count of anything, there is no unit of quality, and no way to measure it, unlike temperature. And that's fine. The digits here function as symbols, symbols for subjective opinions. Whether or not one uses the exact words MAL does to describe the specific score doesn't matter, as they still serve the purpose of quickly expressing your opinion, and putting different works in order. Yes, you like a 9/10 more than a 5/10 show. There's nothing objective about it, though, and there is no need for it to be.
The scores work for any given individual, and looking at their list you can see what they like more, what they like less, and get a general idea of their taste, and if it's similar to yours, you can use it to find new stuff to watch.
They also, taking the average, work for anime community as a whole, show what people tend to like and dislike. Even if people use the scale in different ways, they all work on increasing or decreasing the average score, and contribute to making something that represents a popular opinion.

It's you who's trying to force strict and objective meaning on the scoring system, but there is no need for that, and I sincerely doubt that was anyone's intention, because you don't need to think long to see it wouldn't make any sense.

No one is arguing such a scoring system is perfect, it certainly isn't. It's not very insightful either, but it serves its purpose. For how quick, simple and intuitive numbers are, it does a very good job.
It can't replace well thought out and written opinions and reviews, but it doesn't require effort yet still provides some useful information. The numbers in it don't have to behave like a scale of temperature to make sense.

Give me an exact evaluation of what a 7.32 means when you attach it to Attack on Titan and I'll concede every single one of your points.

Mar 16, 2018 5:59 PM

Sep 2014
Saucy said:
Imaishi said:

Give me an exact evaluation of what a 7.32 means when you attach it to Attack on Titan and I'll concede every single one of your points.

Did you even read what I wrote?
That's exactly why the problem with numbers lies on your side. You want them to mean concrete things, because they function like that elsewhere, but it isn't, and doesn't have to be, the case with numerical scoring system.

7.32 is liked more than 7.30 and liked less than 7.40. That is enough. It served its purpose.
You see fullmetal alchemist rated 9.25 and you instantly know people love the series, it's averaged score is close to the maximal score one can give, meaning only few outlying people dislike it, and when you see Argento Soma scored 6.89 you know it's not to everyone's taste, and thus, you're less likely to like it. With Pupa being scored 3.72, WAY lower than almost any show you come across, you instantly know almost no one likes, and you probably won't either.

When instead of that you use scores of concrete people, whose taste you know, they become even more useful. When you and a person like similar things, and you see him watch new anime and score it 10, you're instantly interested and want to give it a try too.

It doesn't have to be concrete, strict and very informative to be a useful tool. No one is arguing it's perfect and infallible, but it works. People like it and understand it. It's a fact.

Mar 16, 2018 6:48 PM

Nov 2016
i think its only a problem to those who over value ratings and other peoples opinions.
Giving a show a rating is not a science that you have to sit down and analyze aspects of your enjoyment and quantify it using metrics like a super weeb

its simply just. the show was good, it was bad... it was fine
it doesnt even take 30 seconds to think about

and ratings will always be flawed. because we like different things, we are different humans. but statistically most of the time it averages out.
for example people can dislike harem genre but still the best harems will have higher score than the worst
Mar 16, 2018 9:51 PM

Feb 2016
Imaishi said:

That's exactly why the problem with numbers lies on your side. You want them to mean concrete things, because they function like that elsewhere, but it isn't, and doesn't have to be, the case with numerical scoring system.

7.32 is liked more than 7.30 and liked less than 7.40. That is enough. It served its purpose.
You see fullmetal alchemist rated 9.25 and you instantly know people love the series, it's averaged score is close to the maximal score one can give, meaning only few outlying people dislike it, and when you see Argento Soma scored 6.89 you know it's not to everyone's taste, and thus, you're less likely to like it. With Pupa being scored 3.72, WAY lower than almost any show you come across, you instantly know almost no one likes, and you probably won't either.

When instead of that you use scores of concrete people, whose taste you know, they become even more useful. When you and a person like similar things, and you see him watch new anime and score it 10, you're instantly interested and want to give it a try too.

It doesn't have to be concrete, strict and very informative to be a useful tool. No one is arguing it's perfect and infallible, but it works. People like it and understand it. It's a fact.

I'm not really sure you understand what you're saying, or what I'm saying. I could use the pointless rhetorical question of "did you even read my post," but I'm not that much of a fan of redundancies, albeit I indulge in them from time to time.

I don't really understand how your statements are meant to help your disagreement with me since you either help my argument or simply state irrelevant things. There is almost zero context in why a 7.20 is "more liked" than a 7.19. There is almost zero context in why FMA is a 9.25. There is almost zero context in why AS is 6.89. You can't quantify "enjoyment" or quality of this kind of medium in this kind of way. You're misusing numbers, which are inherently objective (and no, I will not spend three paragraphs belaboring this obvious point. "Inherent" doesn't mean "eternal and unalterable," you can assign meaning to anything to change it and just because you assign a subjective meaning to an objective thing and use it subjectively does not mean the thing ceases to be inherently objective, it just means you're not using it objectively).

I think it's patently laughable to suggest that just because FMA has a very high score, the majority of people are sure to like it. No. If you are the type of person who looks at a numeric score and uses that information to determine whether you will enjoy something, you are a sad a pathetic excuse for a human being. I don't care if I'm being condescending or rude, I have no patience or time for people who are so intellectually lazy that they would forgo giving some experience a try simply because some aggregate or even non-aggregate score has given them the impression that it's not worth their time. Unless this experience is highly time-consuming or expensive, there is really no excuse for falling to the opinions of the masses, as if because something is popular or unpopular has any sway on its merit. Some of the most amazing music is heard by few and some of the most terrible music is idolized by many.

If by "it works" you mean that it's a terrible tool to determine the quality of anything, then yes, it works well. If you meant that it lets people decide whether to watch something or not, that's not what it's for. If you meant that it lets you know how much the average user enjoyed something, then again, it fails miserably because the "average" user doesn't exist, nor does the score reflect anything meaningful.

It's useless information. You've done nothing to argue for its usefulness and that can be easily explained. That's because there is nothing to argue for.

Mar 17, 2018 2:51 AM

Sep 2014
Saucy said:
Imaishi said:

I'm not really sure you understand what you're saying, or what I'm saying. I could use the pointless rhetorical question of "did you even read my post," but I'm not that much of a fan of redundancies, albeit I indulge in them from time to time.

I don't really understand how your statements are meant to help your disagreement with me since you either help my argument or simply state irrelevant things. There is almost zero context in why a 7.20 is "more liked" than a 7.19. There is almost zero context in why FMA is a 9.25. There is almost zero context in why AS is 6.89. You can't quantify "enjoyment" or quality of this kind of medium in this kind of way. You're misusing numbers, which are inherently objective (and no, I will not spend three paragraphs belaboring this obvious point. "Inherent" doesn't mean "eternal and unalterable," you can assign meaning to anything to change it and just because you assign a subjective meaning to an objective thing and use it subjectively does not mean the thing ceases to be inherently objective, it just means you're not using it objectively).

I think it's patently laughable to suggest that just because FMA has a very high score, the majority of people are sure to like it. No. If you are the type of person who looks at a numeric score and uses that information to determine whether you will enjoy something, you are a sad a pathetic excuse for a human being. I don't care if I'm being condescending or rude, I have no patience or time for people who are so intellectually lazy that they would forgo giving some experience a try simply because some aggregate or even non-aggregate score has given them the impression that it's not worth their time. Unless this experience is highly time-consuming or expensive, there is really no excuse for falling to the opinions of the masses, as if because something is popular or unpopular has any sway on its merit. Some of the most amazing music is heard by few and some of the most terrible music is idolized by many.

If by "it works" you mean that it's a terrible tool to determine the quality of anything, then yes, it works well. If you meant that it lets people decide whether to watch something or not, that's not what it's for. If you meant that it lets you know how much the average user enjoyed something, then again, it fails miserably because the "average" user doesn't exist, nor does the score reflect anything meaningful.

It's useless information. You've done nothing to argue for its usefulness and that can be easily explained. That's because there is nothing to argue for.

There is no need for context as to why any given series has a particular score, for that you can read reviews, discussions and other more elaborate ways of judging a piece.
Numbers are not inherently objective, not if you have ever got any education on maths beyond highschool level of basics. That, or you don't know what objective means. Something objective is true and not up to interpretation. Numbers aren't that. But that is irrelevant to the thread.

Temporarily ignoring the pathetic insult thrown in the middle of discussion, no, I'm not determining whether I enjoy something using the score, I never argued for that so learn to read. I'm not forgoing any anime because their score might be low, a click away is my list which proves that, but yes, I will do that for a medium that I'm less invested in, that I have no inherent love for like anime, because consuming media isn't free, there is both money and time involved, and it's true for anime as well.
I don't spend so much time on video games, nor I'm willing to experience bad games, so if a game is not universally loved like, say Witcher, I'm not going to waste my time nor money to gamble a try. Of course, in the end, that might turn out to be a bad decision, but you can't really know whether you will like something until you give a try, there is no tool capable of predicting that.
There is no way to objectively measure a quality of a show, to form a verdict that would be true for everyone. The merit of art is decided by the consumer, it doesn't exist in and of itself. There is no strict definition of a 'good' piece of art.

People, though, tend to like and dislike the same, or at least similar, things. That's how we work. It's a fact that for any given person, they are more likely to enjoy the music of Adele and think highly of it, than even the most critically acclaimed metal band. And numbers are useful to convey that.
I might dislike Kimi no na Wa, hell, I think it's garbage, uninspired and full of lazy writing, from a hack director that beats the same dead horse 5th time in the row. I had a bad time watching it. But a potential consumer is statistically more likely to share the opinion of those who love it than mine.
And numbers provide this information. They're not 'determining' anything.

It's not useless information. People use it, on daily basis, so it's useful, and that's a fact. It's stupid to argue against that. It might not be useful to you, if magically your opinion never aligns with the popular one, but whatever man. No one is saying one should blindly follow it, but there are choices to be made when consuming media, you can't see and try everything. If I want to watch a movie with my girlfriend, we will pick something that is highly scored, and in genres we're interested in. It would be stupid to pick some random shit and totally ignore popular opinion and bias. You want to minimize the risk of watching something you dislike.

Anyway, I'm ending the discussion here, I'm not willing to spend any more time on a manchild throwing insults around and being condescending as shit.
Mar 17, 2018 3:04 AM

Oct 2015
I like being organized and show my love to what I consider the bests of this medium.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Mar 17, 2018 7:21 AM

Jul 2015
EmmKayJeeBee said:
Is rating anime series on MAL a good thing?
If so,I think rating anime kind of takes away a person's enjoyment of the anime.I think they thinking about giving the rating to the anime rather than enjoying and actually connecting to it.
What do you think?

I don't think it takes away the enjoyment away from someone, but I do think it can stunt discussions in some cases. As some users care more about the rating someone gave, instead of their reasoning behind it.
Mar 17, 2018 10:19 AM

Feb 2016
Imaishi said:
Saucy said:

There is no need for context as to why any given series has a particular score, for that you can read reviews, discussions and other more elaborate ways of judging a piece.
Numbers are not inherently objective, not if you have ever got any education on maths beyond highschool level of basics. That, or you don't know what objective means. Something objective is true and not up to interpretation. Numbers aren't that. But that is irrelevant to the thread.

Temporarily ignoring the pathetic insult thrown in the middle of discussion, no, I'm not determining whether I enjoy something using the score, I never argued for that so learn to read. I'm not forgoing any anime because their score might be low, a click away is my list which proves that, but yes, I will do that for a medium that I'm less invested in, that I have no inherent love for like anime, because consuming media isn't free, there is both money and time involved, and it's true for anime as well.
I don't spend so much time on video games, nor I'm willing to experience bad games, so if a game is not universally loved like, say Witcher, I'm not going to waste my time nor money to gamble a try. Of course, in the end, that might turn out to be a bad decision, but you can't really know whether you will like something until you give a try, there is no tool capable of predicting that.
There is no way to objectively measure a quality of a show, to form a verdict that would be true for everyone. The merit of art is decided by the consumer, it doesn't exist in and of itself. There is no strict definition of a 'good' piece of art.

People, though, tend to like and dislike the same, or at least similar, things. That's how we work. It's a fact that for any given person, they are more likely to enjoy the music of Adele and think highly of it, than even the most critically acclaimed metal band. And numbers are useful to convey that.
I might dislike Kimi no na Wa, hell, I think it's garbage, uninspired and full of lazy writing, from a hack director that beats the same dead horse 5th time in the row. I had a bad time watching it. But a potential consumer is statistically more likely to share the opinion of those who love it than mine.
And numbers provide this information. They're not 'determining' anything.

It's not useless information. People use it, on daily basis, so it's useful, and that's a fact. It's stupid to argue against that. It might not be useful to you, if magically your opinion never aligns with the popular one, but whatever man. No one is saying one should blindly follow it, but there are choices to be made when consuming media, you can't see and try everything. If I want to watch a movie with my girlfriend, we will pick something that is highly scored, and in genres we're interested in. It would be stupid to pick some random shit and totally ignore popular opinion and bias. You want to minimize the risk of watching something you dislike.

Anyway, I'm ending the discussion here, I'm not willing to spend any more time on a manchild throwing insults around and being condescending as shit.

Well, I sure hope you're never in a position to "teach" someone, since you clearly lack the mental capacity to do so. Needless to say, yes, end the conversation on a note which makes you look foolish. I think you accomplished the latter much earlier on, but there is a certain irony to complaining about insults which were not even directed at you and then immediately insulting the person. Again, may god help us if you ever end up in a situation that requires rational thinking, and yes, this is intended as an insult. However, I once again indulge in redundancies since you've done a pretty good job of insulting yourself and arguing against your own point.

Mar 17, 2018 10:22 AM

Jul 2015
Yep ofc it's a good thing
It helps me to avoid a lot of trash anime
Mar 17, 2018 11:07 AM

Jun 2016
Yes, I think ratings are a good thing. Nobody has to follow what a rating says but it gives a general idea of quality.
Mar 17, 2018 12:14 PM

Jul 2017
EmmKayJeeBee said:

If so,I think rating anime kind of takes away a person's enjoyment of the anime.I think they thinking about giving the rating to the anime rather than enjoying and actually connecting to it.

I completely agree with that. As rating is actually quite a fun activity, I sometimes would keep thinking about what score should I give to an anime while I'm watching it. There is now one more thing on my mind when I'm watching anime, and it's distracting.

Mar 17, 2018 12:16 PM

Jun 2011
I use it for organization, remembering what I watched, and to help realize what I like when I combine it with the use of things such as MALGRAPH.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 17, 2018 12:18 PM

Jun 2011
Stripes said:
I don't care about the ratings per say. I don't think they're very accurate either because most the people on here don't know how to rate because everything is a 7 or up. But I don't think it's the worst system either.

Some people are like that and then there are other people who never give anything a 10 and have an average of 3-4. It balances out.
Mar 17, 2018 3:04 PM

Apr 2016
Both rating and not rating are good, I think. Rating is good to easily have an overview of what shows you like better than others. It keeps things organized. It also can give a lead to what shows you might like since the probability of liking a show is higher if it has a high rating. However, I see it as a personal thing, because my "8" may have a different value to me than an other person's "8" has to that person. Still, they are shown as the same number. It's interesting to see that numbers, in that way, are subjective and objective at the same time.

On the other hand, I personally don't rate anymore. After a while, I noticed that I put shows in boxes by rating, and sometimes, I just wanted to finish a show for the purpose of ticking it off to rate it. I don't want to do that, especially not when I'm still watching a show. After all, every show is different and has its pros and cons, and watching anime is something I do for my enjoyment. That does not mean some shows are not better than others, because, obviously, I do like some shows better than others. However, by not rating series anymore, I keep my mind more blank and I'm able to enjoy shows better. Purely a personal thing of course. To me, the advantages of not rating outweigh the advantages of rating.
Mar 17, 2018 4:25 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Energetic-Nova said:
Stripes said:

Some people are like that and then there are other people who never give anything a 10 and have an average of 3-4. It balances out.

I think the ratio of people dropping scores between 2-5 often enough are exceedingly rare. I think I've only seen one or two people have under a 5 mean score. And the casuals or even the normies who use this site are gonna most likely rate everything high because their tastes never develop.

I'd say it's a 1:5 ratio at best considering majority of MAL scores are in the 7 to 8 ranges and hardly ever dip into the 5's.
Mar 17, 2018 4:30 PM

Sep 2017
i don't like when people rate my favorite anime a low score so therefore rating is bad
Edward Elric > your waifu

Mar 17, 2018 4:32 PM

Sep 2015
Rating anime it's good, the system of MAL it's pretty good, numbers aren't always accurate but it's the current best system tbh.

Anyways most of users (plebs) of this website don't know how to rate and just use it as "i enjoyed it or i didn't enjoyed it" lmao.
Mar 17, 2018 4:37 PM

Jun 2016
for me I'm not a fan of rating animes anymore due to when I start an animes I'd give it an initial score and every episode I'd debate whether if I should lower,raise , or keep the score the same. And eventually I started to break down scenes within an episode consciously to keep an"accurate rating" and overtime this just ruined my experience with watching anime so I stopped.

also if you go by "if its lower than a certain amount" you'll miss out on some surprise anime that you might like s/o Junk Boy
Mar 17, 2018 5:19 PM

Nov 2016
I believe that rating anime is normally a good thing as long as you don't completely depend on it.
I mean, when you look back at it you can remember how much you enjoyed an anime and it lets other people see whether you like the same stuff as them.
Mar 17, 2018 7:04 PM

Dec 2017
I personally think rating an anime is fine. I always find it to be a fun activity to give my thoughts on a series and give it a rating I think it deserves when I finish it.

However, I think watching something solely for the purpose of rating it rather than enjoying it is pretty nonproductive. I.e., watching an entire series you know you think you will dislike just so you can give it a low score and say you watched it.
Mar 17, 2018 7:14 PM
Mar 2018
I think it's okay, just added some series I could think off the top of my head. But one should rather find reviewers / anime lovers with similar taste and go for recommendations than watch anime off a top list.

I don't know half of the shows in the Top 50 of MAL and have no desire to watch them in some cases, so there's that. In my opinion it is not bad but when people only rely on Top lists they limit themself to what they like most and want out of watching anime.

For example there are a lot of people who despise SAO to its core but I rather enjoyed wathcing the show. Not the best but also not the worst entertainment you can get when comparing to all the trash thats coming out every season.
SimChuckyMar 17, 2018 7:20 PM
Mar 18, 2018 9:31 AM

Jun 2011
Stripes said:
Energetic-Nova said:

I think the ratio of people dropping scores between 2-5 often enough are exceedingly rare. I think I've only seen one or two people have under a 5 mean score. And the casuals or even the normies who use this site are gonna most likely rate everything high because their tastes never develop.

I'd say it's a 1:5 ratio at best considering majority of MAL scores are in the 7 to 8 ranges and hardly ever dip into the 5's.

Guess it is just my friends who are usually between a 5-and mid 6. (5.25-6.75)

And I feel like I have more friends in the 4 range than average...
Energetic-NovaMar 18, 2018 9:35 AM
Mar 18, 2018 9:59 AM
Jan 2018
It doesn't really take away enjoyment of any anime from me.Its just that people have so arbitrary thoughts that MAL ratings do not make any sense for recomendations but then there are other sources for recommendations.I just rate anime and manga for my personal satisfaction.
Mar 18, 2018 10:04 AM

Jul 2017
I'm actually a fan of the rating system because it allows me to finalize my opinions on a series and how good I think it is. After finishing an anime, I always consider where it should fit on my list which forces me to evaluate it more heavily than I did as I was viewing it. I don't know if I would have done this without the rating system, so I appreciate it due to the fact that it gives me the sense that I understand what I'm watching a lot better.

It's also really fun to compare your scores to other lists and see how your tastes differ. In the end, ratings are all subjective, so i wouldn't say it's bad since it's just a marker to determine what you as well as the community in general enjoys the most.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

55 by Scyfher »»
2 minutes ago

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

15 by bucciest »»
9 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - Today

47 by Pinoffin »»
10 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Today

6 by IpreferEcchi »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching

deg - Apr 14

49 by Kenzolo-folk »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.