Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A.I.C.O. Incarnation
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 15, 2018 9:01 PM

May 2015
Having low to reasonable expectations do wonders in the things you watch...

As an original series, it was mediocre. It had a couple of interesting ideas, but overall, it was pretty lackluster. Despite that, the series was still entertaining enough for me to watch and finish... In some way, it was better than what I initially expected.

4/10

I would had giving it 5/10 if the characters had been more interesting and less forgettable.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Mar 15, 2018 11:13 PM
Aug 2013
Wow, this was bad. 3/10. They took the boring-as-hell protagonist from Just Because and put him into this show.

For anyone who finished this, I suggest giving ID-0 a try, as this was almost a carbon copy of it. ID-0 was an overlooked sci-fi show from last year. Personally I didn't think ID-0 was great (I gave it 4/10), but ID-0 was the more coherent show, and I felt it explored artificial humanity better than this show. It also has a much more interesting back-story leading up to the climax. Other people who finished ID-0 were mostly positive about it in the episode 12 thread.
GippyMar 15, 2018 11:20 PM
Mar 16, 2018 3:59 AM

Dec 2015
Decent ending with some convenient solutions, and yet still a dumb choice in the end. Why couldn’t the artificial Aiko live with the family? It’s not out of the question to say “hey, identical twins.” Typical LotR ending.
Mar 16, 2018 4:09 PM

Sep 2011
AAAAAND it dropped the ball, after the series had finally spent all this time fumbling at what it attempts to do the series was in a spot where it could have something resembling a point and a proper conclusion to bring it all together, and it just decides to go for the safest possible ending. Yes one of the two aiko's sacrificing themselves was predictable but without it the ending feels comically happy and alot of the conflict in this final really wasted. Tachibana had a genuinly interesting character arc accepting her responsibility at the cost of her life and by the show not following through, it just makes the entire show feel pointless.

This show wasnt the disaster i thought it was, but it was still a waste of talent and honesty of time, in many ways this is worse than i expected cause i was expecting the 2nd coming of guilty crown, an entertaining disaster, but after this final episode I dont see any worth in this series in even the slightest, dead in the middle of a 5/10, a pointless show. Its animation was incredible especially cause the drawings were loaded with shading especially in the kind of crazily detailed eyes, the music was really nice, and the directing even had its moments especially in the last act, but it feels like all of this was given to something completely undeserving of these pros, characters fell flat, it never builds itself up a tone, the plot while surprisingly cohesive didnt do much with itself, the tech had no consistency with them pulling new tech out their ass at convenient points.

its really a damn shame, cause if this final episode was better i was seriously willing to admit the show had merit, and it fucked it up, the only thing i can say is that this fuck up was just more disappointing than anything anger inducing or insultingly bad, it just took something that finally got decent and made it forgettable

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 17, 2018 3:20 AM

Nov 2013
Yuzuha is awake, but now her father apparently is a vegetable. I can't say, that I feel sorry for him.

That Gummi stored the second Aiko's data was surprising. It's great, that both of them survived. How Aiko 2 spoke with her mother and brother was really touching.

That both of them can't be together leaves a bittersweet feeling, but it's necessary, since some people would still be after Aiko 2.

Judging by the last scene, Yura was able to create a life for her.
TheBigGuyMar 17, 2018 3:27 AM
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Mar 17, 2018 11:21 AM

Jun 2016
It had a fairly slow start and some of the characters really felt bland, but the last few episodes were a good ride. Solid production values all 'round too, I definitely liked how all of the tech looked (organic/inorganic both). And I'm always a sucker for happy ending, convenient as this one may be. 7/10.

Lingering doubt: Why did Dr. Yura's brain getting transplanted into the Kanzaki clone body not cause a Burst?

Also: In the first episode, why does everyone ask whether Kanzaki is a 'Burster'? What is a Burster?

Mar 18, 2018 10:43 AM
Oct 2017
the double birth scene is downright the grossest thing i've seen this season
Mar 19, 2018 7:55 AM

Mar 2018
bitchassdarius said:
the double birth scene is downright the grossest thing i've seen this season

Kokkou also has something for you ;-) Although, it might not be as gross I guess
♫ やっと見つけた織姫様 だけどどこだろう彦星様
これじゃひとりぼっち ♫

"Just like my arms... can never be soft and warm, like yours are"
Mar 19, 2018 6:12 PM

May 2012
Very enjoyable ending of a quite impressive anime I must say! Really enjoyed it from start till end and now the ED makes a lot more sense with those beautiful ending shots! The twist at the end really was quite lovely, but in general I really really loved it. And the OP still reminds me of GITS!

All in all a great anime I must say!
Mar 20, 2018 12:21 AM
Mar 2012
Nice all happy end. Didn't expect it to end satisfactory, as most characters were bland. Grown to like Aiko's development & usefulness, Yura's mysteries tho he is a full on liar.
Scifi ideas were cool, tho several things weren't explained, how Isazu could control Matter & why connect clones etc, since they seem could repair Aiko's broken body already, what's the whole point of another duplicate, and that device could open/close skulls & grow hair.
Googey eww animation quite good throughout, could've gone the super weapon route Isazu hints at.
Nice touch to show real Aiko gets a cut, and main AI Aiko goes to Hokkaido for a new school life.
Bit hard to rate with meh characters & straight plot padded with techno mess, but nice backgrounds & animation.

Mar 20, 2018 5:57 PM
Dec 2017
I really liked this considering it's a Netflix original and all... One plot point I don't understand (but am too lazy to go back through all the episodes to try to piece together): How did the original Dr. Yura die and where did they find Kanzuki's body? Also where did Kurose do the surgery to transfer Yura's consciousness into Kanzuki's body? I think the timeline is a little confusing, or maybe I'm just an idiot!!
Mar 21, 2018 11:20 AM

Apr 2016
Convenient ending, but nevertheless wasn't bad.
Mar 21, 2018 4:42 PM
Jul 2013
tokidoki921 said:
A really nice ending to this anime. I give it a strong 7/10 overall.

Can anyone explain why Yuzuha regained consciousness when they disconnected her from her copies? If it was that simple why did they not do it before?

if you still dont know yet, its because she was lost in the matter, so disconnecting the bodies means she disconnects from the matter. her brain is linked to the matter like how a computer is linked via ethernet to the internet.
Mar 24, 2018 12:10 AM

Nov 2013
haileyedge said:
I really liked this considering it's a Netflix original and all... One plot point I don't understand (but am too lazy to go back through all the episodes to try to piece together): How did the original Dr. Yura die and where did they find Kanzuki's body? Also where did Kurose do the surgery to transfer Yura's consciousness into Kanzuki's body? I think the timeline is a little confusing, or maybe I'm just an idiot!!

Dr. Yura died in the beginning of the Burst Incident and his current body is "Duplicate One", the copy of a boy's body if I remember correctly. Where Kurose performed the surgery is never stated.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Mar 24, 2018 6:46 PM

May 2017
I was not satisfied with the ending! Goddam! Why did it have to end!? Now i'm gonna die of boredom. Series like this, should be at least 24 episode long! Now that i finished watching A.I.C.O. i'll have nothing to do. Tha fact that they cutted it right where she was going to say her name is killing me, i want to know wht they were going to call her! Gosh! I wanted to hear the other students reaction! It make me so frustrated. The parts in animes that i appreciate the most are the revelations of secrets; exemple the end where they were introducing her. I can think of a bunch of things as sequels. Exept that i'm sure there won't be a sequel.
What i'm trying to say is that i feel the exitement of when i was watching Another, and this series won't get out of my head. Please help me, point me in the direction of an anime that has the same concept. I falling in depression and this is a bad timing (exams and such).
This anime was execelent i'd recommend it to any anime fan. Congratulation, creator, you outdid yourself! 10/10
Mar 27, 2018 7:13 PM

Sep 2015
Some characters made no sense to me, specially Dr. Kyousuke and Kazuki, but we didn't get much into then and maybe was better let it open, given how the rest was developed.

The Sci-Fi had no much science in the end, i think if we added more supernatural/spiritual things to the story it would have less holes in THAT part of the story, but then more incongruities. They made their choices.

Better than the latest netflix original animes releases, but still too much in their comfort zone.
Mar 29, 2018 11:17 AM

Nov 2012
Nice ending. Plus a win for both guys, kanzaki got aiko and Minase also got aiko. Now thats a ship (⌒▽⌒)

Mar 29, 2018 9:26 PM
Apr 2017
It was a great anime. Kinda reminded me of Guilty Crown to a certain point, but overall, it was cool.
Mar 30, 2018 10:14 AM

Jun 2013
Another mediocre Netflix anime. The thing that I liked the most about the show was the animation. Apart from that there isn't much to talk about. It's started out interestingly enough with the cool mysterious MC Yuya and the strange girl Aiko but then went downhill from there. Even its partial post-apocalyptic theme felt boring and lazy. But what I think ruined the show the most are the characters. Too many of them and this leaves little room for development and details. Throughout my time watching this I felt like whoever wrote this was in some sort of a rush. I didn't even understand wtf happened in end and where did Yuya and Aico went? Well whatever.
Mar 30, 2018 6:48 PM
Mar 2018
I don't understand why Yuzuha wasn't just revived from the beginning if all they had to do was in plug Her? That part literally makes half the show redundant.
Mar 31, 2018 1:15 PM
Apr 2016
Parki4 said:
I don't understand why Yuzuha wasn't just revived from the beginning if all they had to do was in plug Her? That part literally makes half the show redundant.
From what I have understood, her father was preparing for the launch of operations on Aiko, and started the operations on Yuzuha simultaneously with hers (I might be completely wrong, but bear with me), but then he prepared about a hundred of artificial bodies for Yuzuha, and tried to force her consciousness to take one. Since the access to them was equal, the consciousness could not allocate itself to take one, and was stuck in an artificial loop, which no one thought was possible.
Re:formed
Apr 11, 2018 8:27 AM

Jul 2011
Im very confused about the low score. (at last for MAL standards)
I would probably give 8 at maximum, but I really felt the urge to give higher score considering how under-scored it is.
I had way more fun during this show than i have with Franxx for example.
The plot is not very original, but it gives this classic 90's Sci Fi movie vibe, and the overall animation is done very well.
Or maybe I'm just old?
Apr 23, 2018 11:03 PM

Jul 2016
zero-r said:
Having low to reasonable expectations do wonders in the things you watch...

As an original series, it was mediocre. It had a couple of interesting ideas, but overall, it was pretty lackluster. Despite that, the series was still entertaining enough for me to watch and finish... In some way, it was better than what I initially expected.

4/10

I would had giving it 5/10 if the characters had been more interesting and less forgettable.

I just finished watchng it and I still don't know or care who the divers are.
Apr 30, 2018 12:21 PM

Jun 2010
I think the ending would've been better........
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2018 1:32 AM

Jan 2016
I enjoyed it a bit but still average. Too bad we don't see Yuya Kanzaki at the end. Guess he left for that journey to create a world for Real Aiko and now she alone in school. At least they confessed sorta.
Dec 6, 2018 9:40 PM

Oct 2012
Not a bad series. I enjoyed some of the visuals of the burst and how they fought it. I feel like this would have been stronger as a shorter series and if they would have fleshed out the Yuzuha story better - or at least made it a bit clearer.
Dec 20, 2018 11:44 AM

Oct 2010
Overall was better than I expected but still kind of a let down. Good ending at least
Feb 26, 2019 12:54 PM

Jun 2014
I didn't care for any of the characters at all and the story was boring stupid shit. But the consistently gorgeous action animation made it a worthwhile watch as an anime. Ooze was awesome and the sci-fi concepts and ideas were cool but this overall sucked.

4/10
alpha_shadowFeb 26, 2019 1:03 PM
:3
Mar 31, 2019 4:42 PM

Jan 2014
loved it, no idea why exactly but loved the characters, the story was also good and overall every episode was enjoyable, never felt like time was being wasted and it concluded in a very good, heart warming, way that made it feel completed.

Really hope Netflix keeps investing in more original anime.
Jun 2, 2019 5:52 PM

Oct 2015
I'm glad Aiko and her fake self survived. If it wasn't for Gummi then Fake Aiko would've been dead, Yura was useless in saving her. Which makes me come to the question of whether Yura did intend to really save her or was it his way to ease her into the surgery? I'm also glad that Isazu's daughter is alive, too bad he didn't listen to Yura when he said he should cut her link sooner, as now he's very fried. Kazuki should've followed fake Aiko since he said he loved her, but oh well! New life, new school and possibly a new name for her, I'm really happy things worked out for her.

Overall this was enjoyable and fun to watch, but I wish it contained a bit of intensity. Like more characters should've died and give an impression that primary point was a hard ass place, this also would've given other irrelevant characters a bit of meaningfulness. The story also was predictable and a bit repetitive. Kanzaki was frustrating as a character and so was Fake Aiko sometimes, but Kazuki was the worst.

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 13, 2019 6:44 AM

May 2018
I dunno how I got introduced to, and started watching this show but I just finished bingeing it and it was a mixed bag. I liked the finale but the writing was all over the place at on multiple occasions. I wouldn't say I was hooked by the characters. They were pretty okay but I didn't feel anything for them. I feel like they weren't properly built up so the drama sequences didn't give that impact.

Overall, it was a nice sci fi romp. 👍
Jun 28, 2020 12:18 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
It was an overall alright ending. Still sticking to a 7 though and not the 9 because of stuff explained beforehand. But at least they did not completely ruin the anime as I thought.

Aug 12, 2020 4:15 AM

Nov 2010
Although there are many plot holes and unspoken background, the show is a good entertainment. Also the character design is lively and beautiful (even if it's not a modern style). The plot twist in episode 9 is a good spice too.
tingy said:
Surprisingly not bad. I didn't really like the shininess and the character designs when the PV came out, but I ended up enjoying the series. The most interesting theme in the story is basically kind of like the swamp man thought-experiment, although this theme was there and not explored. Or rather, it wasn't really a theme but just an idea incorporated into the story. The plot was straightforward, and the content wasn't deep, but it played out nicely and was entertaining.

It was surprising that I ended up sympathizing with AICO in the end, that I actually shed some tears in this episode. When oh-so-convenient (but cute) Gummi made a copy of AICO's body, I was like, "give me back my tears." BUT I ended up crying a bit more when AICO interacted with her "family" and left. I'm glad she's able to have her own life now though :)

Hm now for some things I'm left wondering about/missed when watching...why didn't Isazu just disconnect Yuzuha from the copies? :/ I get that he was the only who knew about this until the last 2 episodes, but why didn't it occur to him that he was the one keeping Yuzuha in a coma? If there's a legit reason as to why he wasn't smart enough to sever the connection, then I can be at peace with why Isazu is the villain of the story. Otherwise, it's a bit forced that such a dumb doctor/researcher who is supposed to be smart is the main reason that the team had such a tough time completing their mission.

Also Gummi lol. Such convenience.

Overall, I still enjoyed the series. It was a good watch ^^
-Philosophical perspective:
As pointed out above, the show is dealing with Ship of Theseus paradox or its similarities. Those who are interested in this kind of theme should check Blade Runner.

-About the coma issue:
Yuzuha fell into a coma because of a snowslide (ref:ep.2) and Isazu came up with an idea to substitute artificial brain for her original brain or something like that. Since she was in a coma before the nerve link experiment, it never occurred to him that cutting the connection would wake her up.
---
By the way, the scary part that Aico (artificial Aiko) came out from a form of embryo reminded me of The Fly II.
Jan 30, 2021 4:00 PM
Jan 2021
I really did not like the Dr Kyōsuke Isazu and comatose daughter subplot which always felt a bit badly stitched to the rest of the story. A second antagonist was not needed, a strugle between the original Aiko's brain and the artificial body/matter could have provided all the conflict needed. Also the happy ending was a bit of a gummi ex machina. If you want to avoid the obvious bittersweet ending there were better ways to go about this.

Still, a reasonably satisfying ending. I would rate this and the story as a whole at 7/10

William Hughes

Complex systems exhibit unexpected behaviour
Apr 2, 2021 8:11 AM

Aug 2017
The mascot saved the day. No idea why they made Kanzaki/Yura disappear completely within the last minute as Primary Point collapses. They wanted a mysterious ending but it look flat to me. I'm surprised that no one else died. The creators wanted to play it safe -.- Honestly, this anime needed one more episode cuz the ending feels rushed. The battles are so boring for the most part if u ask me. I personally liked B: The Beginning more than this one.

5/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 20, 2022 4:49 AM
May 2021
Really good anime man. Loved it. I wanted to know more what kanzaki and 2nd Aiko will do in future together. But still glad to see both of them alive. It deserves 8/10, really good anime original ❤❤
Feb 17, 2022 7:30 AM
Feb 2022
It was something interesting to the end
Apr 23, 11:56 AM

Nov 2012
ending seemed a bit forced, there were defo ups and downs throughout, but overall an enjoyable watch imo!
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » A.I.C.O.: Incarnation Episode 1 Discussion

Tyrel - Mar 9, 2018

37 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
Aug 17, 2023 8:06 AM

Poll: » A.I.C.O.: Incarnation Episode 2 Discussion

Tyrel - Mar 9, 2018

15 by 1uchan »»
Jul 25, 2023 7:54 PM

Poll: » A.I.C.O.: Incarnation Episode 6 Discussion

Tyrel - Mar 9, 2018

9 by OgregO »»
Jul 24, 2023 3:35 PM

» The Dub is Garbage

demision - Apr 11, 2018

8 by sometaters »»
Dec 5, 2022 4:15 PM

Poll: » A.I.C.O.: Incarnation Episode 4 Discussion

Tyrel - Mar 9, 2018

9 by AzureAshida »»
Nov 5, 2022 2:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.