Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 11, 2019 5:52 AM
Jan 2009
tsuyoi_hikari said:
I have a few question regarding the anime:

1. Why Ariel break his promise to Maquia and leave her? Regardless on how she treat him like a kid, its not good enough reason to leave your mother. >.>
2. Why when Ariel called Maquia 'Mother' and asked her not to leave, she leaves him anyway? Why she thinks that leaving someone that is her life is the best decision to make at that time?
3. Why Leilia refused to leave with Krim before her marriage to the Prince? Why she decided to stay? Why staying with the Prince is a good idea?
4. Why Leilia refused to leave with Krim after he asked her to leave for a 2nd time? She gave him reason that she wants to see her daughter but why she leave with Maquia anyway at the end after seeing her daughter for like 10 seconds? I thought she gonna stay for her daughter but why she left with Maquia? I thought Leilia loves Krim, why he is not good enough for her to leave? Its really confusing lol
5. Why the Prince forbidden Leilia to see her daughter? Why she cant give birth to another children? If she failed to give him a son for the first time, he could try again and again with her until he got what he wants. Its really illogical for him to expect he will get a magical son on a first try.

I thought the anime is really good but it shows that love didnt stand the test of time. Its heartbreaking when Maquia herself give excuses to Ariel leaving her when she said he is 'protecting' her when in reality, he did left her to live on his own. No mother should utter such excuses when in reality, the son did break her heart. I dont understand the contrasting words and actions that the characters in this anime is doing. They are saying one thing but they are doing the opposite of their words. Why is that? I feel like the writer trying to be clever but failed at the end. :(

This is from my own interpretation;

1) I think that Ariel was confused at that point in time regarding his feelings towards Maquia. He already knows that she isn't his real mum, coupled with the facts that he was at that age to think about romance and that Maquia looks around his age, so he might have started to love her as a woman.His actions when he was drunk and when he said i dont think of you as a mum kinda supports it. Thats y he felt that he had to leave her and sort out his feelings so that he can properly protect her as her son.Signing on as a soldier was a good way as

2)Before that, she met Dita and the baby. From that encounter, i think Maquia realises that Ariel has grown up and is no longer the kid that needed her to protect and take care of him. Instead, he will now be the same as her,a parent that always think and care for their child. Also,Ariel now has a family and is no longer alone. Thus, she decides to leave him so that she save Leilia who is still alone.

3)Probably because she felt that she couldn't be with Krim anymore as she was raped and now pregnant with the Prince's child. She could also have been thinking about the child because if she ran away, the kingdom would definitely hunt her down. It would be tough for her to give birth while on the run.And even if the child was born, they would still have to live on the run.

4)I think u meant the 3rd time?the 2nd time he tried to save her but failed due to the knights and most of them got killed.Anyways, she initially thought Krim and the other Iorphs were dead. So the only one she thought she still had in the world was her daughter who was related to her by blood. She desired to see her daughter and that desire became an obsession over the years. That's why she couldn't leave without seeing her daughter.

But when she saw her daughter, she became scared. She was scared of becoming a mother,to become attach to her daughter who would die before her(i don't think the daughter has a long lifespan because she clearly aged normally throughout the movie) and the pain of having to go through that. Thats why she decided to leave her daughter behind and told her daughter to forget her and that she too will forget her daughter. She wanted to be free from that sadness and pain.

At that point in time, she didn't love Krim anymore.She thought he was dead and she had moved on with her life.

5)The prince was a scumbag basically. I mean he raped her to get her pregnant so he probably just wanted to make her life difficult by not letting her see her daughter. I think the movie mentioned it but the prince was getting tired of her thats why they were searching for other female Iorphs. Basically, he was a scumbag and didnt want to have sex with her anymore to get that son.

To be fair, he wasn't planning to leave her for that long. As I mentioned, he just wanted some distance from her and sort out his feelings and then come back to her as a her son when he was ready. But she got kidnapped and they probably tried very hard to find her but to no avail. Regardless, life still goes on so Ariel moved on,believing Maquia is ok somewhere.And the movie mentioned it, Ariel protected her even when they were apart in the form of spiritual support.When she was captured, she would think of Ariel and that helped her keep her sanity and helped her continue with life.
Jan 12, 2019 7:48 AM

May 2016
AyunaAni said:
YOOOOO WHAT THE FUK. Why is this so underrated. (toxic mode activated) This anime deserves to be on top of 90% of the anime out there. I literally thought this was so popular, that my inner hipster self was barely standing. Unfortunately, MAL says otherwise.

Yup difference in opinions, in mome this movie is hella overrated.

And with the comment with Mari Okada with unnecessary drama, there is so much in the movie.

Jan 12, 2019 4:30 PM
Dec 2018
[quote=animemangaotaku message=56697331]
tsuyoi_hikari said:
I have a few question regarding the anime:

1. Why Ariel break his promise to Maquia and leave her? Regardless on how she treat him like a kid, its not good enough reason to leave your mother. >.>

Thank you so much for this! Now I feel less frustrated with the movie. I thought most of the characters unlikable due to their actions. But somehow you explanation makes everything better. Thanks again! :D
Jan 16, 2019 7:51 PM

Feb 2013
Holy shit, I didn't expect this level of heavy. I don't think I even teared up this much back when I watched Clannad After Story in highschool. Damn this is a melancholic MASTERPIECE. Maquia is best anime mama no questions asked.

One thing I didn't get, why did Leilia try to jump off the palace? I guessed to escape her capture and abuse, maybe, or maybe to protect her daughter from being found out as a half-Iorph. But that moment felt really rushed and awkward, kinda came off thoughtless to me.
BlokeTokesJan 16, 2019 7:54 PM
Jan 17, 2019 5:54 PM
Oct 2018
Prog_upworks13 said:
This is movie is fucking good and make me crying in the end episode !!! Damn really want to hug my mother right now :'(
I cried a bit, but for majority of the movie I had a bittersweet type of feeling, the type of emotion that is generally brought about when you move on from something. But damn, that last scene kinda made me feel empty and satisfied aswell lmao
Jan 18, 2019 10:01 PM
Mar 2012
This is now my favorite anime film of all time, and I've seen all of Shinkai's and most of Miyazaki's work.

I really can't explain why, but let me at least try:

This movie felt like a perfect storm of my particular tastes. The character designs looked straight out of Final Fantasy Tactics, one of my favorite games, the world was light fantasy, a la Game of Thrones, which I absolutely love, the music was absolutely transcendent and matched the events on screen to a T, and I'm a mama's boy, so the story hit me really hard.

The thing that I see most people criticizing are the time skips, and I had no problems with them aside from the very last one. My friend and I were talking about it, and he made a good point actually. I think between the last two time skips we needed to see how Dita and Ariel reunited and we also needed to see the struggle that Maquia went through during her captivity that caused her to turn into the strong, stoic person she was after the very last time skip. Her character progression is shown bit by bit throughout the movie, but the leap from Ariel leaving to join the army and then the 10 years afterwards was a bit much. It was the only time in the whole movie where I was brought slightly out of the immersion. However, once I sort of accepted that this is where we are now, everything just flowed smoothly from there. I can completely see why anyone else would have decided to give up at that point, though.

I just think the coolest thing about it is that it's a story that realistically can't possibly happen. It's like a Benjamin Button story, only the relationship is between mother and child rather than between lovers, and I like that different take on it (and it's also one I relate to more). A mother is almost certainly never going to see her own child on his deathbed as a grandfather and then have to face the reality of living on past that point. That's why I think it works, because it doesn't just present the idea of "is it worth loving someone?" and just say "yeah, because memories dude!" and then let your mind wonder what wonderful adventures the characters got up to after the credits. I mean, maybe it does for Maquia and the other Iorph guy, but Ariel's story is definitively done at that point. It actually explores the entire lifespan of someone, and more importantly, it follows a mother who loved her son through his whole life and then had to watch him die. It wasn't sudden, like oh no, he died in a war, how horrible. It was completely inevitable, and I think it really brought the entire idea of "would you love someone even if after a lifetime spent with them you'd have to sit on their deathbed and watch them go, AND you had to go on and live your life after that" into a tangible format.

What makes this the most poignant, however, is that you also get to see a different response to the same question in Leilia's story. She's someone who built up the idea of someone as this fantasy in her head, and the moment she was present with reality, it was just too cruel for her to handle. So she chose to run away and forget her past. What I think is so brilliant about the movie is that I don't think it really tries to tell you which answer is best. It does end with Maquia saying how she was glad that she chose to love Ariel, so you might think that means it's advocating that response, but I think the way it leaves off Leilia's story also advocates for that version just as strongly. Of particular note is the gray haired knight dude's line about letting the creatures of old be free. The Japanese uses the phrase 心のまま (kokoro no mama), which, if I were to translate it as accurately as humanly possible, would probably be something like "the continuing and unaltered state of a human soul." It really expresses the idea that people have this thing inside of them that, no matter how hard they may try, will never be crushed, and will eventually make its way free. Leilia was always that type of person. She's the one who jumped in the very beginning, and when she jumps at the end she says "I can fly!" It's sad to me, but it's how some people are. They see a life they could have, and they can't bear the thought of what it would entail. It isn't a life they had a choice in in the first place, so when presented with the chance to escape, they leap off and fly away. But even if I think that's sad, I don't think I have it in me to necessarily condemn those people, because I've felt that desire in myself before. I wouldn't know how to deal with it if I felt like I just couldn't live any other way. Maquia's path appeals to me more at a base level, but every time I think about the idea of losing someone, I start to feel like Leilia's path is the better one. Yet I see what her actions did to Medmel, and what they did to Leilia for that matter, and they just both seemed so sad. She'll probably regret what she did for the rest of her life, and Medmel will probably never know what to think of her mother for the rest of her life, if she even lives that long. What really is the answer? I have no clue, but I sure as hell have had to think about it a lot thanks to this movie.

That's why this is my favorite movie. Not just because it was beautifully presented, not just because it made me cry four times throughout and the last time for about a minute straight, not just because the music was so beautifully matched to the events on screen, not just because the story was so relatable to me, but because on top of having all of those things, the story also MEANT something to me. It actually made me THINK, and I don't actually KNOW the answer to the question it posed to me. It's why I get frustrated when I listen to the music from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, because while it's some of the best music I've ever heard, the events that it was attached to, that being the story of XB2, were so mediocre and uninspiring that while I'm listening to the music, even though it's beautiful, the beauty is only skin-deep. It sounds nice, but it doesn't really mean anything. All it reminds me of is cheap light novel anime tropes, so it always leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

But Maquia? When I listen to "Haha Ni Naru Hibi" [The Days Spent Becoming a Mother] (that plays during the montage of Maquia raising Ariel as an infant on the farm), I can truly feel the emotions of a young mother learning to love a defenseless infant that relies on her for everything. Its main refrain starts out with a positive, hopeful feeling, then dips into a very sorrowful chord progression, but then builds that hope out again into an ultimately joyous conclusion, including the ending of the song itself. It's expressing the raw, unbridled joy of seeing the life of an infant slowly develop before your eyes, but it includes a hint that this can't possibly last, yet ends in a suggestion that maybe it's okay to enjoy it while it lasts. The next song, "Wakare no Jikkan" [True Sense of Parting] plays along as Maquia realizes for the first time what's going to happen to her, which is that she's going to watch Ariel grow old and die. It's incredibly incredibly sad, to a painful degree, but it does ultimately end on a light, not necessarily happy note, but the actual tenor of the song after Lang suggests that "mothers don't cry" feels like that feeling you get after crying for a while and then realizing things are going to be okay, which is exactly what's happening on screen. I could go through this for every song in the movie, but I'll just mention one more, which is "Kansha to Kakugo" [Gratitude and Resolution]. This song starts out pretty sad, but then it quickly moves into the refrain from "Haha Ni Naru Hibi", which to me is directly comparing the new life that Dita and Ariel have started to the young, blissful life Maquia spent with Ariel when he himself was just an infant. It's much more subdued though, more tender almost, so the juxtaposition perfectly reflects the emotions that Dita goes through in those two minutes: she starts off crying because she doesn't know if she can be a mother like Maquia was to Ariel, but Ariel turns that lack of confidence into a sense of gratitude for what his mother did for him and further takes that emotion and transforms it into a determination to love their child together and raise him/her with love.

Every single thing about this movie (with the one exception I mentioned about the last time skip) hit me the right way, and I honestly don't have enough good things to say about it. Rather than any thing making me feel "I didn't like that," the only possible bad things I could say about it are that I wish there was even more to it than what was shown.
Jan 19, 2019 5:55 AM

Dec 2014
For such an intimate story, which clearly has a personal factor for Okada, there is an ambitious scope at play. It may be argued that the final coda - after a gigantic battle and the literal birth of a new generation - lingers a bit too much in melancholy. However, letting go is difficult, and rarely has a movie so delicately paid homage to the unconditional tumult of a mother-child relationship.
Jan 19, 2019 7:22 AM
Sep 2017
This movie is very good guys! Amazing!

The soundtrack is also beautiful. I know this movie because i found the last song on Youtube. The song itself already hits the feel so I know this movie will be awesome.

The animation blew me away! The character and its world design is beautiful.
I have an issue about the story because i feel there is some part of the movie that is too rushed. For instance, when Ariel went to the army and Maquia was kidnapped and the movie fast forward to several years later. There is no explanation about it. I know since it is a movie, they have constraint about the time, so I don't really mind.

The message of the story is well delivered. For me, the movie is about moving on from the past. Maquia moving on from Ariel, Leila moving on from her dark past, Ariel moving on from Maquia that is very kind to him even though she is not his real mother, and the world moving on from the old power and magic (represented by the dragon and the immortal being). The thread, which is an analogy for life, had beed woven to a Hibiol so there is no going back. You need to finish the Hibiol so you can get a beautiful one that you can adore.

This one is at least a 9/10 in my opinion.
Jan 19, 2019 10:10 AM

Sep 2012
the ending...oof. cried like a baby. 10/10.
Jan 21, 2019 6:38 PM

Feb 2013
BlueKojiro said:
I think between the last two time skips we needed to see how Dita and Ariel reunited and we also needed to see the struggle that Maquia went through during her captivity that caused her to turn into the strong, stoic person she was after the very last time skip.

I actually don't agree. Even after the skip she's still pretty skittish til she helps Dita go through labor, where she has an inner revelation of her place as Ariel's mother and getting "strong" in her feelings in building the courage to separate from the one she loves. Dita as a character is somewhat secondary to the plot so I think extra details weren't necessary.
But good post. I was excited when I realized the soundtrack was Kenji Kawaii. Finally got my wish of his Fate Stay Night 2006 ost vibes in tandem with great drama.
BlueKojiro said:
I just think the coolest thing about it is that it's a story that realistically can't possibly happen. It's like a Benjamin Button story, only the relationship is between mother and child rather than between lovers, and I like that different take on it (and it's also one I relate to more). A mother is almost certainly never going to see her own child on his deathbed as a grandfather and then have to face the reality of living on past that point. That's why I think it works, because it doesn't just present the idea of "is it worth loving someone?" and just say "yeah, because memories dude!" and then let your mind wonder what wonderful adventures the characters got up to after the credits. I mean, maybe it does for Maquia and the other Iorph guy, but Ariel's story is definitively done at that point. It actually explores the entire lifespan of someone, and more importantly, it follows a mother who loved her son through his whole life and then had to watch him die. It wasn't sudden, like oh no, he died in a war, how horrible. It was completely inevitable, and I think it really brought the entire idea of "would you love someone even if after a lifetime spent with them you'd have to sit on their deathbed and watch them go, AND you had to go on and live your life after that" into a tangible format.

Definitely felt this.
Jan 22, 2019 5:56 AM

Jul 2010
4)I think u meant the 3rd time?the 2nd time he tried to save her but failed due to the knights and most of them got killed.Anyways, she initially thought Krim and the other Iorphs were dead. So the only one she thought she still had in the world was her daughter who was related to her by blood. She desired to see her daughter and that desire became an obsession over the years. That's why she couldn't leave without seeing her daughter.

But when she saw her daughter, she became scared. She was scared of becoming a mother,to become attach to her daughter who would die before her(i don't think the daughter has a long lifespan because she clearly aged normally throughout the movie) and the pain of having to go through that. Thats why she decided to leave her daughter behind and told her daughter to forget her and that she too will forget her daughter. She wanted to be free from that sadness and pain.

That actually sounds like a valid explanation for why Leilia left Medmel behind. It doesn't excuse her doing so, yes, but I wish the movie gave some time to actually have Leilia explain why she left her instead of just telling her to forget about her, or even highlight this potential explanation in the film. She doesn't even try to explain why she did what she did in the movie, and that infuriates me to no end and makes all of her other actions seem way out of character.
Jan 23, 2019 3:25 AM

Nov 2013
Damn that was a masterpiece! The passage of time withers all, but love remains
Jan 23, 2019 5:09 PM

Dec 2015
pretty awful bad pacing and rushed plot
Jan 27, 2019 8:10 PM

Aug 2013
It was dazzling to finally see Akihiko's style animated, I must say. He's one of the best fantasy artists out there so it was a shame that he never got out of the gaming scene until now.

And yeah, it had some problems, most of it script-wise amateur mistakes (fitting, considering it's Okada's debut as a director): sometimes the development was confusing and at worst made no sense, characters could use some improvement, some themes could have been expanded upon.

The most WTF moment for me was when Maquia was captured by someone supposedly death whose return was not foreshadowed in the slightest, and working for the opposing kingdoms which were devising a plot which I don't remember being mentioned or even foreshadowed either, so it completely came out of nowhere and I was really confused, especially when it had just been mentioned (twice! even) that Mezarte was after Maquia, so that's a low plot move, a rather cheap way to subvert expectations.
Also, at the same sequence Krim comments that Maquia letting her hair grow is a "sign that she's pregnant", and this was completely forgotten because apparently she wasn't and it was never mentioned again. And then after that Krim storms the castle with Maquia because?????? I was at a loss for why exactly Maquia had to go with him. I was at the impression that she was captured so the opposing kingdoms could try having an immortal offspring like the king of Mezarte intended (with the mention of her being pregnant and all) but then suddenly Krim is shown on the battlefield with Maquia and then leaves her behind. Yes, that made no sense for me, so if someone fan explain to me what the hell happened that would make me glad. The timeskips made everything all the more confusing.

And then the characters. Ozil had a pretty interesting proposal, feeling guilty for his actions and doting on Leilia for having killed her kin and Krim. But then...he was a blank for the rest of the movie and then Krim is revealed to be alive and that again made no fucking sense, since we were led to believe his relationship with Leilia was due especially to him killing Krim (yeah, we are ever shown his death but it's heavily implied). His character could have used some work.
I don't really have a problem with the rest of the characters except that...they just aren't very memorable. I would use the Mamoru Hosoda movies as an example, where every single character, even the most secondary, had some quirk which made them distinguishable from the rest. Except for Maquia, Ariel and Mido (and maybe Leilia) the rest of the characters just weren't very remarkable. Aside from their respective positions in the plot there wasn't anything else that distinguished them from the rest, especially since most of them had very brief appearances.

And, well,the red eye disease. I believe it was supposed to be symbolic and all, but it was kinda stupid to come up with such a convenient out of nowhere disease to tear down the dragons numbers, I'd say. They could have been a bit more imaginative with that.

Despite all its shortcomings, however, I loved it. It got me by surprise, since I thought this was gonna be just a romance anime. It was unconventional, even for an Okada anime, and quite daring considering the industry's current state. It's refreshing to see a pseudo-medieval fantasy anime that didn't seem like it came out the creator's RPG group table, and actually employed some imagination.
Satyr_iconJan 27, 2019 8:45 PM
Jan 29, 2019 7:07 PM

Sep 2011
That scene at the end where she met Ariel as a grandpa was god tier.
Jan 30, 2019 7:57 PM

Apr 2015
A beautifully animated film with a good message about family; however, the fantasy world is a bit of a mess that's hard to follow.

7/10
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 2, 2019 9:51 PM
Jan 2017
its the good anime afterall. the story, background art, character, is good, but its really hurt when the ending.. honesty im crying so much when see this ..
Feb 3, 2019 11:41 AM

Dec 2015
Been really looking forward to watching this but honestly thought it was overrated and overly dramatic. Characters felt under-developed and the plot never really reached that sweet feels spot for me.
~
Feb 5, 2019 1:55 PM

Jul 2011
That was a fucking emotional torture session...
WHY didn't Maquia just stay with Ariel for the duration of his life as his Mom?
There are so many choices in this movie I can't understand for the life of me.
I would never choose to willingly live separated from someone I love.
If the reason was that she wanted to be with Leilia, just move somewhere close by??
TeriumFeb 5, 2019 2:01 PM
Feb 9, 2019 7:59 PM

May 2014
Terium said:
That was a fucking emotional torture session...
WHY didn't Maquia just stay with Ariel for the duration of his life as his Mom?
I would never choose to willingly live separated from someone I love.
If the reason was that she wanted to be with Leilia, just move somewhere close by??

Her choice not to stay with him and his family bothered me. You never stop needing your parents, no matter how old you get. To just peace out for no apparent reason seemed like something sad for sadness sake.

Overall I loved the movie, but that left a bit of a sour taste.
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Feb 10, 2019 7:39 AM

Sep 2018
Very touching, I do not even know how many times I cried during the narration, especially in the end it was hard not to cry a tear, however a very sweet and sad story, perhaps ruined by the script, but despite this the narrative was able to describe the love and the bond between parents and children. The work of the Studio P.A. Works was great, the backgrounds and everything was great, really a joy for the eyes watching this movie. The soundtrack is also catchy. I would have liked the film to last longer, just to better explain certain points in the story and deny it more. I do not know if the other users will be satisfied with this film, as far as I'm concerned he has kept the premises I had made, even if not in the sense that I believed before watching the film.

My vote is 9/10.
Feb 17, 2019 8:43 PM

Aug 2013
Terium said:

J0HN_L0CKE said:
Her choice not to stay with him and his family bothered me. You never stop needing your parents, no matter how old you get. To just peace out for no apparent reason seemed like something sad for sadness sake.

Overall I loved the movie, but that left a bit of a sour taste.

It's a matter of cultural difference, I believe. I agree with both of you, however, Japan still follows that old-fashioned trend that children have to grow off their parents so they can truly mature and live their own lives (and that's very strong still in a lot of places). Of course most people don't actually cut ties with their parents, buuut this usually is taken to extremes in art. A good example off the top of my head is the movie El Topo, where a father makes his child bury both his toys and a picture of his mother.
Feb 22, 2019 3:43 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Flaws apparent throughout the course of the show, particularly due to the poor pacing especially in the second half, but an amazing movie, nevertheless!

Maquia’s(Makia) struggles as a parent was beautifully handled and the growth of Ariel to a certain extent too. Ariel deciding to join the military and the whole buildup to it gave me the impression that Ariel was steadily falling for Maquia as a woman, evidently through his actions when drunk, because she looked like any other teenage girl in town. As such, I think this was a great depiction of it but then what was with the time skip? Ariel clearly looked concerned for Maquia but my main concern is why he didn’t go back to her. Judging by his appearance though, it mustn’t have been a long time skip but even then, you’d expect him to return back after reuniting with Dita then. Did he leave for other purposes in the first place then? What was Maquia doing while being confined behind bars though and who captured her even? Was it the General because Leila briefly mentioned about her earlier? Besides, when exactly was Maquia captured? Thinking back on the movie, I felt as though it was right after Ariel’s leave but it can’t be since the rumours, to which Ariel caught upon, must’ve been a few years later. Over all, the whole timeline of the show, along with the other timeskips too, was a big mess. Moreover, there was the whole issue with the Prince, why did he not allow Medmel to meet Leila? What was the objective of the whole grand plan here, literally comer her to insanity? And then there was the reunion between the mother and the daughter which just felt anticlimactic as a whole. Clearly, she was too afraid of becoming her ideal mother and I completely understand that but a couple of minutes more emphasising on that would’ve been so much better honestly. Moving on, Maquia then going through a moment of Deja vu and coincidentally meeting up with Ariel’s wife and child was really sweet and all but I just can’t comprehend the reasonings behind why both Ariel and Maquia would leave such a frail mother behind like that. How’d Maquia even find Ariel so easily like that, there must’ve been a pile of corpses all over the place(we even got a few shots featuring just that)? And then she took the hard call and left, and oddly enough this is something I found to be very hard to accept just an hour ago or two but I can see why she’d made that call now and that just depresses me even more. What happened to the King and the Prince in the end though? Don’t tell me they managed to survive and lived through their life away from the throne, because that’d just piss me off to no bounds. Got to say though, other Characters such as Krim, Lang(why didn’t they show more of his family after the time skip though even though there were a few references to them every now and then?), Barlow and Izol could’ve really been better off with some more screentime. But I’ll just stop here, maybe there’s more on the downsides of the show but I think this is more than enough.

On the other hand, the aesthetics of this show was superb! World Building wasn’t the best and the war, thus, didn’t feel ‘right’ or so to say but it managed to get the point across well enough. Visuals, as expected from P.A. Works was gorgeous, even the CGI bits were cool and so was the glorious Sound Department! Profound and a very strong message from the movie too, ‘motherhood’! Brilliant depiction of this! Maquia was selfless, always caring and just had every single motherly attribute, making the final product just even more impactful and depressing.

And then the final scene of the short but heart-wrenching reunion. God, my eyes just watered up all of a sudden. It was just incredible! “Welcome home!” and then signing off like that in bliss was just too dang powerful for me. Maquia was with him from the start to the very end of his life, in many ways, and moving on from that point onwards must’ve been so very painful. God, I can’t even imagine how it must’ve felt like. “I’m sorry for breaking our promise.” and that very deserved and essential burst of tears and grief completely quenched my kokoro there. It’s hard to put it into words, but it was simply incredible! Seeing those flashes of the past come and go with that wonderful music was so very touching and just beautiful to the point where my eyeballs totally gave away. Definitely the most emotional bit for me from any of Mari Okada’s works by far.

Despite all its flaws and unanswered questions, I’ll still award this movie a solid 8.5/10! It’s a Great movie, no doubt whatsoever.
_MushiRock11_Feb 6, 2020 10:48 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 23, 2019 3:24 PM

Dec 2016
Definitly a really worth-it movie to watch, 9/10.

Japanese animation (movies) has made a great step, but again they show the end at the beginning which kinda triggers me :(. A lot of good movies are coming out recently and this is again the proof that animation is improving a lot!

Some moments feel a bit too skipped such as the moment when Krim kidnap Maquia (i don't remember quite well every detail of the movie tho).
SephyrosFeb 28, 2019 1:33 AM
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Feb 25, 2019 10:51 PM

Jul 2014
what does Hibiol mean?
Feb 27, 2019 10:21 PM

Dec 2016
Anime-Utopia said:
what does Hibiol mean?

Hibiol is the type of clothes they're weaving (in which they often wrote hidden messages on).
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Mar 4, 2019 6:38 AM

Jul 2016
Love it especially the art and animation. Cried on the ending but it was good. Only Ariel's part when he was drunk was weird for me though.

I also liked the seiyuus! Miyu Irino one of my fave seiyuus
Mar 4, 2019 5:42 PM
Apr 2018
I was expecting some kind of romantic movie but the fact that it is a motherhood movie was a nice surprise.

I have mixed feelings about the time skips honestly: it made it hard for me to appreciate how the characters evolved (especially Maquia and Ariel). I didn't like Maquia's va, idk, I couldn't take her seriously.

Nothing to add to the animation: they put a lot of detail and work there.
Mar 5, 2019 6:00 PM

Oct 2013
It's been a day now since I finished the movie and most of the times the hype kinda dies down but I still feel the same as I did when I first finished it. I think it's easily close to being one of my favorite movies of all time. The story is told in such a beautiful way that I honestly don't have anything bad to say about it. My only minor complaint would be that it was sometimes hard to tell if time had passed and not always knowing what happened during them.

Mar 6, 2019 11:03 PM

Dec 2012
Hey, that's the thing from Wanted.
A girl jumped.
Maquia? Roll credits!
Roll credits!
They have long lifespans.
Leilia and Krim like each other?z
What's that in the sky?
Dragon?
400 years old?
Capture the women?
Red-Eye?
Run!
Dat crash.
Dat scream.
A dead woman and a baby.
A man.
Dem finger cracks.
She took the baby.
Oppai.
Slap the oppai baby.
Ariel?
Dat butt spank.
Dat mama.
Leilia.
Time skip?

And that was the end. Great movie. Thought Maquia and Ariel would end up together, but the surprise with Dita happened.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Mar 11, 2019 8:55 PM

Dec 2015
A few seconds in: wow, this grating writer looks like a decent shot composer.
A minute in: a girl is jumping. Wow, she seems determined to give a TV series look to her debut movie...

Not the patience to stand two hours of extremely flat faces/bodies put on nice backgrounds (and CG ones). Very bad way to start a day of school at 5a.m..

On-hold for a few days.
Mar 17, 2019 8:11 AM

Feb 2018
Not what I expected it to be from the beginning, but i wasn't disappointed!
Such a great show with pretty visuals and a great story with a good message in it that I cried so much in it.
Apr 14, 2019 4:00 PM

Nov 2018
I can't say I -loved- it, but still liked it, had some great scenes. Start and the end for example.
I wish Leilia and Izol had romance than the creeps she was with (Krim turned out to be one too)
Maquia kept me interested, she developed very well. Maybe even surpassed Leilia by the end.
Apr 18, 2019 9:06 PM

Nov 2013
My wife bought this blu-ray the other day and I watched it tonight in our home theater with low expectations.

What I found was a film of epic proportions, with scenes of immense breadth and depth, and a story of a tragic suffering of those born to eternal life.

A masterfully woven tale with rich and developed characters and plot. Simply "wow!"

A note about the architecture of the city: it reminded me of a fusion of Notre Dame Cathedral and Sydney Opera House, with a futuristic quality, a la "Star Wars". I found it quite innovative for an anime city.
basspigApr 19, 2019 8:50 AM
Apr 20, 2019 4:06 PM

Oct 2016
Honestly, one of the freshest pieces of writing that has resonated with me since the last Miyazaki film.
Apr 21, 2019 5:58 AM

Aug 2009
Its been 2 days since Ive watched this and Im still crying over this movie.

It honestly was so lovely to watch. I cried like a baby toward the end.

I shall now force all my friends to watch this and cry with me lol. I feel this movie is so amazing yet most people never heard of it.
Apr 22, 2019 11:16 AM
Mar 2013
Loveddd this movie, cried a bunch and now my eyes are swollen. The feels punched me in the gut, but there are quite a few inconsistencies and blurred answers in the final third of the movie.

Like many others, I was quite confused about Ariel's actions when he leaves his mom. He notices that he is starting to develop romantic feelings for her, so he leaves to get space and joins the army to protect her (is that interpretation correct?). The hints of romance here when he was drunk reallllly confused me too. I get that she doesn't age so she looks like his age... but how can you develop romantic feelings for someone you considered your mom for like the first 14 years of your life?

Also how does joining the army protect his mom Maquia? She's kidnapped soon after, so why doesn't he make more efforts to find his mom? Did he think she was kidnapped or did he and Lang think that she went to live somewhere else for 10 years?

P.S. Despite all of this, their exchange by the water was the most heart-breaking scene ever (closely tied to the flashbacks at the end), I couldn't stop sobbing.
Apr 23, 2019 12:51 PM

Oct 2012
Something else. This movie was really something else.

Sure, the melodrama was bit forced twice or thrice, Krim felt more like a plot device then believable character and sometimes the world logic was bit off but beneath all of this you can find really touching story about growing up, human mortality and wonderful relationship of the mother and her child. I liked how Maquia went from unexperienced girl to dependable woman thoughout the story even though her looks haven't really changed and how she finally let her child go to craft his own future in the moment when her parenting was no longer needed. It was nice parallel to our own circle of life and great reflection on what it means to be a parent.

Honestly, it was great to show one complete life from the viewpoint of the immortal, not something every anime does. The movie felt kinda similiar to Journey game or Lion King in a sense and I certainly enjoyed it a lot.

8/10
Apr 25, 2019 3:49 AM

Oct 2007
just watched it today, and had to give a perfect 10.

emotional ending almost made me cry... ;_;
Apr 27, 2019 4:16 PM

Mar 2018
"A new parting is for another meeting." Strong words...
Νεχ ποσσυμ τεχυμ ωιωερε, νεχ σινε τε.
May 6, 2019 5:21 PM
Jul 2018
Beautiful and splendid. I love this movie so much.
May 13, 2019 8:08 PM

Feb 2013
A bit boring to be honest.
The ending was sad though.
May 14, 2019 12:23 AM

Feb 2014
giving it 7/10 as the story got a bit stale, half end was good though

I don't know if it suits my taste but this was a great movie with strong bonds between family (Maquia and Ariel). Recommended for you who watched Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki
May 19, 2019 12:26 PM
May 2019
Thank goodness that I found this site. As I also encountered with Krim's sub error.

That scene, when he cuts Maquia's hair. It translates as "Lorphs can only be able to grow their hair longer than hip when they already have a child.

It sounds as if their hairs would never grow longer than hips (just like how they not aging) unless they became a mother, then hairs could grow longer because, umm.. level up as an adult?

This error line really poked me, bothered me until the very end.

I kept wondering if Krim being such a _ick that much? enough to rapes Maquia just to make her hair could grow longer enough to cut the dyed part..

And it made me kept looking for her child (or children).

This led me to another misunderstanding. When I saw the photo after credits.

I was so shocked, like "_uck you, Krim. How many times did you bully her.. and that red hair girl.. don't tell me you asked your new fellas to join too..

That definitely a really bad misunderstanding. So I was tirelessly searching through sites to see if there's an explanation about that scene...

Thanks you guys to enlighten me...
May 24, 2019 1:19 AM

Aug 2016
It was ok, the animation for sure pretty
~ kinda sad that she lives on for so long and see dear
People to her, dying
May 24, 2019 1:25 PM

Mar 2014
There is no doubt that visually this anime is incredibly beautiful, incredible

But I can't say the same for the story, there were so many things happened and makes me asking question in each every scene and moments

Like for example when Leila was angry and blame Izol for the one who causes her suffering, I thought to myself this guy might actually help her or something (seeing as it was shown that he sympathize and regret his action). However till the end he did nothing of the sort and shot Leila former boyfriend Krim and not only that he still fought for the dumb witted Mezarte king and prince, even though he has no reason what so ever and he could have ended the conflict much much sooner !!!

Also the ending was very sad for sure but not touching sad, more of a "that's it ?" kinda sad which does not make a lotta sense to me

So again I think its a great anime in terms of visual but for story they might wanna revise it again, because it's a shame for something that looks great but had a less than mediocre story

score 7/10
RedChromeMay 24, 2019 1:28 PM
Jun 24, 2019 11:58 PM

Jul 2016
I-I'm not c-crying, y-you are!
Jun 27, 2019 8:13 PM

Jun 2009
Ngl this movie left me in a crying mess. I honestly didn't know what to expect from it as I just went in without reading anything beforehand and boy I'm glad I did that because I didn't expect the movie to be about motherhood, and I think Mari Okada tackled the theme pretty well. I do have issues with some of the characters' growth and relationships being in 'timeskips' but I guess they can't take their time to flesh them out for a 2hr movie. But still imo they managed to conclude everything pretty decently.

9/10. I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely one of my fav anime movies.

Jun 29, 2019 10:16 AM

Sep 2012
I can't remember the last time a movie got me this emotional. I was bawling during the flashback sequence at the end. Then I went and listened to the soundtrack and was crying so hard it was actually embarrassing.
Mari Okada's works always seem to find their way directly into weak spots.
Jul 2, 2019 8:39 AM
Feb 2016
Ok guys i find it absolutely funny how the elder just probably went "fuck this shit im out of this village" while they were being invaded lmao and thank god apparently what Krim said to Maquia was a mistranslation i was actually legit damn pissed when i thought she was pregnant now my heart can rest. Still the elder though wtf lmao.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ariel x maquia anyone? ( 1 2 )

Shiyuru99 - Nov 1, 2018

56 by brandon08967 »»
Feb 17, 12:00 AM

» Only reason it isn't perfect.

Kamikoto_kl - Apr 18, 2022

5 by shuffle_017 »»
Jan 20, 8:00 AM

» Question about krim

Bruhdotmp3 - Apr 9, 2022

3 by shuffle_017 »»
Jan 20, 7:56 AM

» "Let's Decorate the Morning of Farewells with the Promised Flowers"

MinhQuan_Luu - Nov 4, 2018

3 by Obakezoku »»
Aug 13, 2023 8:04 AM

» Questions about Half-Iorph

Kyyo - Nov 7, 2021

5 by ikasamatensai »»
Jun 29, 2023 7:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.