Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 6, 2018 6:56 PM

Aug 2009
I guess more specifically what is the most important factor in choosing an anime to watch? I'm mostly talking about anime that is about to air that might not necessarily have reviews out for them. For me I think a good PV can really sell an anime. Aside from that the director is a really big draw for me. I'll watch anything from certain directors. So yeah how about you guys?

EDIT: Added Synopsis and Cover Art for poll options
LoneWolfFeb 6, 2018 9:39 PM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 6, 2018 7:07 PM

Sep 2012
Synopsis probably.

Cant care less other stuffs before watching it.
Feb 6, 2018 7:07 PM

May 2015
The concept of the anime is the most important factor in deciding what anime I watch. The more bizarre it is, the more likely I'll be willing to watch it.
Feb 6, 2018 7:08 PM

Feb 2016
Other.

Synopsis/Description. Don't care about anything else. Just want to know what the anime is about. I can decide if it interests me from there.

Other stuff could catch my attention/make me curious but they're not deciding factors at all, Synopsis/Description is.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Feb 6, 2018 7:12 PM

Jun 2017
Other: I to just scan through the promo descriptions. If it catches my attention I will check it out.

Sometimes I will pick up 1-2 titles if there is a bit of hype and it sounds like it would be interesting to me.
Feb 6, 2018 7:12 PM

Mar 2016
I like watching mine in English most of the time. I know that is crime to some but many times I'll listen to Japanese voice actors and it doesn't convey the same weight via text. Dramatic tone is lost when I cant understand the cadence and everything. Other than that I've spent over 2 hours looking for a new anime just to go watch something old again.
It's ok, to not be ok.- A Stranger
Feb 6, 2018 7:13 PM

Jan 2016
Other -- plot is usually the deciding factor. Sometimes the anime OP if it seems epic enough.

Studio occasionally influences me (for example, I've noticed I typically like what BONES churns out). Director and hype, not so much. Don't watch PVs. I can't have a waifu or husbando if I haven't seen the anime, so that's out. I can't recall ever watching an anime because one of my favourite VAs took part in it.

So yeah, tl;dr plot is usually the deciding factor for me.
Feb 6, 2018 7:14 PM

Nov 2016
Sinopsis or PV are the biggest factors on eciding on what anime to watch each season
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2018 7:25 PM
Jul 2018
How do you decide what anime to watch?

It's either the synopsis or PV(s) for me that tend to get me to decide what anime show(s) to watch, so...
Feb 6, 2018 7:29 PM

Jun 2017
i like to see the endings before watching an anime, maybe it's weird maybe not, I do not like to waste my time in an anime with a bad ending, and usually by recommendation, tops(yt, google) or random.
I still remember that I saw Chuunibyou because I liked the eyes of rikka

I really do not care, I am a simple person.
GhoulEtoFeb 6, 2018 7:33 PM
Feb 6, 2018 7:29 PM
Jun 2015
I go through about 2 dozen anime and just pick what looks good/what I'm in the mood for.
Feb 6, 2018 7:42 PM
Jul 2018
I go with whatever I'm in the mood for
Feb 6, 2018 7:44 PM

Aug 2015
if it has a cool picture or not. pretty rare for me to look into it any further than that
Feb 6, 2018 7:45 PM

Oct 2017
If I've heard of the director that's really all that brings me into watching an Anime
Feb 6, 2018 7:50 PM

Feb 2015
Cover most of the time.
If they can pull a nice cover image then I can give that anime some of my attention.
In case of movies I sometimes check trailers too.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Feb 6, 2018 7:52 PM

Sep 2014
Has to have Rabu Raibu in the title, and has to be an all confirmed female cast (its 2018, you never know)
Feb 6, 2018 7:55 PM

Jul 2017
I'd say the main 2 would be the cover art (If it looks interesting or not) and then check to see the genres to see if romance is listed as one of them (since I generally enjoy most shows with romance)

I mean, it's not set in stone. Sometimes I'll just watch a show just because regardless if it doesn't meet the 'criteria' above
Feb 6, 2018 7:59 PM

Apr 2016
I just look at the cover of an anime and read a few synopsis lines. I've rarely watched any PVs because I want that element of surprise when I start an anime.
Feb 6, 2018 8:06 PM

Jul 2017
I mainly choose what anime to watch if the plot interests me, and if it have my favorite genres.

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Feb 6, 2018 8:08 PM

May 2017
Studio and waifu i think, synopsis and design
    CARP 9/12/18 Eterno
Feb 6, 2018 8:11 PM

Dec 2017
studio is the least thing im look into, im more like into the source material of the anime, whether is Manga, LN, VN, Game, etc. and then if i really dont know what is all about, i read the synopsis

Dec 2016
Synopsis, title and cover art. Sometimes ill watch a show not known some of those even, My housemates would ask what im watching and what its about and i had completely forgotten or didn't know.
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i literally just look at the cover for waifus and watch the PV, which can only increase my hype, idc about the synopsis
Feb 6, 2018 8:12 PM

Jan 2018
THE GENRE!!!1!
as long as its not an idolfag & haremfag anime i will watch them

Your quotes sucks to be honest

Feb 6, 2018 8:20 PM

Oct 2012
Like a lot of other people here, it's all about the plot. I will admit that I am on a journey to see every KyoAni anime. It's the only studio where I don't really care that much about the plot. But everything else has to have a plot that intrigues me.
Feb 6, 2018 8:27 PM

Dec 2017
Yeah, it's mainly plot for me also. Other factors that I might include is the art style. Sometimes, the plot might be interesting but if the series seems to be too flashy or colorful or has weird character designs that I am not fond off then I probably won't watch it. Too a lesser extent, I also sometimes consider the personality of the main character. Again, if I am not feeling it or getting the vibe from the main character then I probably won't watch it.
Feb 6, 2018 8:27 PM

Nov 2008
Synopsis, character design, and demographic.

I go to LiveChart and just start clicking on titles that interest me. Then I go to the show's website. Then I read the character profiles.

It pays to know Japanese. :'D

(a pretty or funny gif can also get me interested too)

Feb 6, 2018 8:33 PM
Jul 2018
If it fits the mood im looking for i'll bite, i mean i'm not one to watch something just bc everyone else is
Feb 6, 2018 8:54 PM

Feb 2017
The synopsis is nice to read although sometimes something just sorta catches my eye and I end up watching it. It's sorta random for me as sometimes things just sorta come up somehow, I like it that way.
Feb 6, 2018 9:14 PM

Sep 2016
Other: Synopsis, & sometimes combined with tags

Character design can sometimes be a deciding factor if the synopsis leaves me feeling borderline about the show.

You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Feb 6, 2018 9:16 PM
Dec 2017
Good art+good genre(like fantasy Psycologie echie harem supernaturel drama)
Feb 6, 2018 9:17 PM

Aug 2017
Does it look interesting? If so, I watch it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2018 9:30 PM

Aug 2015
Pick something from my PTW or just pick one that seems interesting that isn't on my list.

❝ falling sick on a journey
my dream wanders around
fields of dry grass. ❞
()
Feb 6, 2018 9:43 PM

Nov 2016
Synopsis, genres and my mood are the main factors to me.

PV is a secondary decision factor for me as well because it let me decide if I can withstand the visuals or not.
Feb 6, 2018 10:10 PM

Dec 2014
I will read the synopsis and then if that sounds good I will watch a PV and then if all looks good I will watch it/add to my PTW
Feb 6, 2018 10:18 PM

Feb 2016
First I look at the cover and if it looks interesting I’ll read the synopsis. If I like the premise of it based on the synopsis or find it interesting I’ll add it to my list
Feb 6, 2018 11:28 PM

May 2009
LoneWolf said:
I guess more specifically what is the most important factor in choosing an anime to watch? I'm mostly talking about anime that is about to air that might not necessarily have reviews out for them.

Even though I don't watch stuff as it airs, these days I try to avoid reading too much about a show before jumping into it, so they're all sorta like this anyway since I prefer to ignore what other people have to say about a show.

I pick shows for all sorts of weird reasons, but these are the most typical:
* I heard the theme song somewhere and I like it.
* One of the characters looks attractive.
* The trailer made me feel "whoa" or gave me goosebumps or made me tear up or some other strong emotional reaction other than laughter.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 6, 2018 11:36 PM

Aug 2017
For me it's the synopsis where I decide whether or not to watch that anime. I also decide a lot of the time by genres of the anime. For example I would never watch Shoujo Ai or Shounen Ai Anime. Other than that I dislike the Vampire and Horror Genres a lot.
Feb 6, 2018 11:37 PM

May 2009
I've found that if I get to read the synopsis I might often react against it because the premise feels forced or something.

So it's better if I don't read it.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 6, 2018 11:42 PM

Nov 2014
For my own personal choice, I go with synopsis and genre tags.

Sometimes I do get influenced by others to pick up an anime, but that usually is from them giving me a convincing description rather than from hype.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Feb 6, 2018 11:50 PM

Jul 2014
I watch an anime if I'm intrigued. I often don't read the synopsis or check the VA's or the directors.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Feb 6, 2018 11:56 PM

Apr 2013
For new anime it's mostly PV, you can find out everything from it 99% of the time. Director and VAs are also important to me.
Feb 6, 2018 11:57 PM

Nov 2016
I already watched a show for (almost) every single reason listed there. But the most important for me is probably synopsis.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 7, 2018 12:03 AM

Jan 2017
I look for the studio I like then read the synopsis of anime listed there. That's how I look for anime sometimes. When I'm too lazy, I'll just look at the cover art as it tells you enough information about the story (not all tho).
Feb 7, 2018 12:08 AM

Feb 2016
Synopsis, genre, artstyle and the cover really. PV's also help if they are available.

Sometimes the waifus apply too kek
Feb 7, 2018 12:11 AM

Aug 2016
Other - I usually just read the descriptions of the anime that is about to start airing and see if it peaks my interest. The description of an anime can give you some decent insight on if you'd like the anime or not. Just my take on it anyways.

If corrupting myself is enough to put everyone else at ease, then I will gladly take on this job. — Keigo Takami
Feb 7, 2018 12:15 AM

Jun 2016
Hype.. Depending on what it is. Other times director and animator is probably the biggest.

I know noone wants to be honest about hype.. I get it..

But are you really going to try to tell me you can look at upcoming seasons and see shows like "Steins;Gate 0", "Code GeassR3", "Legend of the Galactic Heroes", "One-Punch Man", "Gintama" etc. and not make decisions based off hype?

Like you can legit look past the name and just like.. Objectively look at the voice actors or director etc etc?

I'm callin bs on that.. 90% of folks see those titles and are committed to watching at least 1 or 2 episodes, even if they were directed by an *actual* gorilla. Look how many people tuned in for Beserk 2016.. Noone really particuarly cared about all the details.

Whatever though, it's all good.. I'll be the honest one. Hype and Director.
Feb 7, 2018 12:21 AM

May 2010
Usually just cover art and sometimes just the general premise, that's all I need. Although of course, if something gets high score here on MAL, I feel intrigued immediately as well. Genres are somehow important as well, because I like to mix series I watch, don't want to see four drama anime in a row and get depressed.
Feb 7, 2018 12:26 AM

Jul 2015
I check the synopsis / genres / characters design
Feb 7, 2018 12:33 AM
Jul 2018
It's mostly the synopsis. If the premise doesn't sound interesting, I won't watch it regardless of reviews. If I'm unsure, the score or reviews is the deciding factor, but mostly for those anime that finished airing. I often listen to my intuition and it usually pays off . I'll watch anything by studio Shaft though, because it's the only anime studio I can trust
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Hidden Gems of Spring 2024

ForgotEyeWasHere - May 11

30 by animejas »»
8 minutes ago

» What do you wish to see ??

Lion_Sin - 7 hours ago

22 by Zarutaku »»
12 minutes ago

» Would you allow an anime robot resembling an attractive human female to take your virginity?

TsutanaiFuun - 6 hours ago

29 by Coaghim »»
17 minutes ago

» What does it even mean when people say Ecchi needs to be done tastefully?

Dragevard - 3 hours ago

13 by Spiralore »»
19 minutes ago

» Characters born on the same day/month as you ?

Yonahim_Zz - 3 hours ago

15 by Coaghim »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.