Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jan 19, 2018 7:44 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I mean ... Violet is cute and all ... but she's kinda annoying right now.

Outisde of the episode being good looking, it was pretty bleh overall.

Hope it gets better.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 19, 2018 10:30 PM

Jul 2015
God DAMN THIS ANIME LOOK GOOD... And luckily for me, I'm enjoying this quite a bit. Seems quite a few of the people here were a tad dissatisfied with this, and that's understandable. This ain't exactly the hype master piece I was waiting 2-3 years for, but I don't think it's by any means bad, just not what was expected. Again though, luckily for me, I can pretty easily find enjoyment in slower paced anime at times.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jan 19, 2018 11:16 PM

Feb 2014
Honestly this show just isn't fair. They just put the tunes on relatable scenario's to play with the kokoro!!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jan 19, 2018 11:19 PM
Dec 2017
Valyrian1124 said:
Hodgins says that "He's not coming back", which doesn't necessarily confirm that Gilbert is dead. There are five things I can think of, in order of likelihood.

1. Gilbert is in a coma.
2. Gilbert is alive but is so psychologically devastated, he'll never be himself again.
3. Gilbert is actually a traitor, and Hodgins can't bear to tell Violet that man she loved betrayed them.
4. Gilbert is MIA, possibly captured by the enemy nation and still in custody after the truce.
5. Gilbert is actually dead.

Not much else to say about the episode, though it was cool to see that the pub decorated in flowers that Hodgins went to is based off of the Churchill Arms in London.

Hope 3 or 4 are true because that would be hella fun or intense. I mean if it's 1 or 2, that's pretty obvious but understandable. And 5 could possibly happen, but I hope not. I really want him to be alive! But at the same time, I wish Violet learns how to accept the people who are around her throughout the series soon.

Jan 20, 2018 3:00 AM
Jan 2016
Enjoying the show so far, but Violet keeps reminding me of Sousuke from FMP.
Jan 20, 2018 3:09 AM

Mar 2017
So people can't find a different reason to criticise the show than "the XYZ don't suit my taste"?
Jan 20, 2018 4:59 AM
Nov 2013
It was boring. Just it, not annoying / unbearable, just boring. If two first eps of a 14 (or 13?) ep long series bring so little then I'm out.

Am I the only one that noticed the postman walking (and riding a motorcycle!) in such high heels? No wonder girls reject him, they're jealous of his skills.
Jan 20, 2018 5:27 AM

May 2012
Cattleya is just so hot !!. One of the best looking woman in anime. It she had nice boobs also !!

Also, it was not boring as some people say. Violet was acting funny in this episode

Jan 20, 2018 8:20 AM

Nov 2011
Violet and Benedict made me laugh so hard in this episode.
"WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?"
"She's Erica" LOL

Then when Benedict was trying to get the reception girls to eat with him and the only one who would was the deliver man, those tears in his eyes had me crying tears of laughter lol.

Oh okay I like the flirting going on with Cattleya and Hodgins. Though why Hodgins wouldn't oblige to her is fucking mind boggling.

Benedict watching those two was pretty funny as well lol.

Oh god...the months rent...THE BROOCH!!!
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 20, 2018 8:33 AM

Jul 2015
Nice episode, but nothing too special or remarkable
Jan 20, 2018 8:49 AM

Aug 2013
Ok, KyoAni officially bought me again. Everyone who thinks it's boring, grow up and watch it again for next few years.
shanimebib said:
. No one ever asked how and why Edward's hand or leg moved in FMA but people are trying to nitpick on almost anything in this one because they are too preoccupied with the idea that this story is taking place in OUR world when it clearly isn't.

Because, you know, MUH action, MUH shounen, MUH epic war and MUH edginess.
rsc-plJan 20, 2018 9:00 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 20, 2018 9:49 AM
May 2015
Kyoani designs are getting way too detailed for their own good. The animation suffers from it, look at most 'sakuga' moments episode 2 had. Either 1-2 second close ups or layouts using basic one-point perspective, with the camera perpendicular to the actors ( example ), same with episode 1, it all feels very flat, specially with that global gray filter, it does nothing but crush the shadows and limit the color range of the scene. They never play with foreshortening and I get why, rotating the mecha hand for example, and playing with perspective with such a detailed design would take a long time, the first cut of this took a month to animate, a goddam month:
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/ce98eeca27b2f3619117c0726513cfd4.mp4

Take a look at this scene, the detail in the mecha or the pilot's hand aren't as complex as Violet designs but notice how it uses foreshortening and perspective, notice how the shadows are actual shadows, they give more depth to the image
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/3edf0ac12f89339976fc7038b3c91da0.webm

This scene pretty much describes Violet Evergarden's animation, extreme 1-2 second close ups, and when that's not the case, the camera is mostly perpendicular to the actors, so that the animators won't have to work so hard figuring out the correct perspective and placement of all those intricate details in the characters.
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/930de751fef4783b040708b08037c7ac.mp4

Violet may very well be Kyoani show with the highest production values, but all those 'values' were misplaced and didn't hit the mark, the art, shot composition and animation are polished but very tame, nothing stands out, the direction is mediocre. I've found that most people praising the animation in this show are mistaking background art and character detail with actual animation.
Jan 20, 2018 12:32 PM

Feb 2015
Better than 1st ep.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jan 20, 2018 2:22 PM

Apr 2014
I want to know what "I love you" mean. That signature line hits me each time I hear it.

Start to love this story more and more. Could develop into one of my fav animes.

What a beautiful and funny episode too. The soundtrack is so beautiful and fitting too. Can't unterstand the negative comments here.
"If the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Jan 20, 2018 3:10 PM

Sep 2013
Another great episode.

OK, the president didn't SAY Gilbert was DEAD so I'm gonna hope he's actually alive for now (hope this anime doesn't break my heart later though...)

Also will there be no opening and ending?? I was really looking forward to the op/ed but all we see is Netflix at the beginning and end of each episode and that sucks :(

Jan 20, 2018 5:47 PM

Dec 2009
Sooo goooooood. Very touching T____T
Jan 20, 2018 6:44 PM

Oct 2015
I think that anime is doing a pretty good job in setting up its characters and plot. Everything feels natural and not to mention the beautiful aesthetics while I can understand how people would get bored over this, I think it's one of the more enjoyable shows of the season compared to the others and I watched more boring shit than this. Also why the hell does Minori Chihara's voice here sound to vocaloid'ish not a fan :l Guess a lot of people picked this up due to the hype that surrounds it even if it doesn't interest them
EGOISTJan 20, 2018 6:53 PM
Jan 20, 2018 6:45 PM

Feb 2013
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

Meh... kind of dragging already...
This is far from a hard-hitting drama.
LOL that letter.

So much for "most anticipated" anime. What if it turns out to be a lemon? Lemon Evergarden. You heard it first here folks!
BurntJellyJan 20, 2018 7:28 PM
Jan 20, 2018 7:17 PM

Jun 2016
Good god, just tell her the Major is dead already. Dragging it out like this will just hurt her far more when you finally decide to.
Jan 20, 2018 8:37 PM

Dec 2009
Uh, that's chau meing and sweet&sour pork . . . chinese, not yakisoba.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 20, 2018 8:51 PM
Oct 2011
What have I just done?

This Violet girl would probably reply, with hands in her back: "Sir! You just spent 23 minutes watching a psychopathic girl with no humanity and emotions what-so-ever trying to figure out what her commander's last words meant, sir!

I find Violet to be completely emotionless and unrelatable. There better be a really good reason / back story why the main character is behaving like this...

Jan 21, 2018 6:34 AM

Mar 2011
I'm enjoying the show so far but I wouldn't mind it if things started moving a bit faster tho.
Jan 21, 2018 7:19 AM

Apr 2016
jimjimex said:
What have I just done?

This Violet girl would probably reply, with hands in her back: "Sir! You just spent 23 minutes watching a psychopathic girl with no humanity and emotions what-so-ever trying to figure out what her commander's last words meant, sir!

I find Violet to be completely emotionless and unrelatable. There better be a really good reason / back story why the main character is behaving like this...

I don't think knowing the reason behind her emotionless nature is the important thing. Rather, learning those emotions is more important. She may be slow at it, but it doesn't she's completely incapable of knowing them.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 21, 2018 7:42 AM

Feb 2010
This anime is very good looking, well sasuga Kyoani

Tbh, for all the hype the series itself is pretty underwhelming
im not a novel-reader but after watching trailer, pretty sure a lot of people expecting more, including me... it's understandable misleading trailer ? LUL but it turns out to be emotionless Saber learns about emotion as a typewriter with slice of life after war-drama. Seriously, no one tells her about love? or major's condition? for what? moar drama? trust me, if she know about major she'll cry and know instantly what "sadness" and "love" are without wasting 13 eps

Well it's ok for me tho so far, but not special

roppuriJan 21, 2018 7:53 AM

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Jan 21, 2018 8:16 AM

Oct 2009
Getting the feeling Kyoani doesn't know how to write interesting women.
Jan 21, 2018 8:21 AM

Jan 2016
Violet Evergarden isn't what I thought it would be. But I still like the route it's taking. Seriously, tho - Violet is annoying.
Jan 21, 2018 8:53 AM
Dec 2008
is erika anime original because we really didn't need another awkward character. seriously watching her and violet try to strike a conversation with overly-dramatic sad music and obligatory rain was hair pulling. episode 1 was fine but this is argh.
Jan 21, 2018 9:43 AM

May 2017
Dlwuik said:
i don't like this anime because it's bad
wow really i thought people don't like stuff because it's good ,hmmm got to see some new shit stuff thnx
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2018 9:43 AM

May 2017
Can some one spoil me about Gilbert is he dead ? It's ok if you spoil me
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2018 10:00 AM

Jan 2017
and I thought Magus' Bride was overhyped nope this one wins, there's literally nothing good about this anime besides animations
Jan 21, 2018 2:56 PM

Apr 2016
Eanraig said:
Kyoani designs are getting way too detailed for their own good. The animation suffers from it, look at most 'sakuga' moments episode 2 had. Either 1-2 second close ups or layouts using basic one-point perspective, with the camera perpendicular to the actors ( example ), same with episode 1, it all feels very flat, specially with that global gray filter, it does nothing but crush the shadows and limit the color range of the scene. They never play with foreshortening and I get why, rotating the mecha hand for example, and playing with perspective with such a detailed design would take a long time, the first cut of this took a month to animate, a goddam month:
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/ce98eeca27b2f3619117c0726513cfd4.mp4

Take a look at this scene, the detail in the mecha or the pilot's hand aren't as complex as Violet designs but notice how it uses foreshortening and perspective, notice how the shadows are actual shadows, they give more depth to the image
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/3edf0ac12f89339976fc7038b3c91da0.webm

This scene pretty much describes Violet Evergarden's animation, extreme 1-2 second close ups, and when that's not the case, the camera is mostly perpendicular to the actors, so that the animators won't have to work so hard figuring out the correct perspective and placement of all those intricate details in the characters.
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/930de751fef4783b040708b08037c7ac.mp4

Violet may very well be Kyoani show with the highest production values, but all those 'values' were misplaced and didn't hit the mark, the art, shot composition and animation are polished but very tame, nothing stands out, the direction is mediocre. I've found that most people praising the animation in this show are mistaking background art and character detail with actual animation.

Indeed. People keep raving about how "amazing" the show looks - the art is certainly great, I'll give them that - but I'm not seeing what they're seeing. The show is quite static, and the characters are so incredibly detailed that what little animations there are look janky. It doesn't help that the colors have been washed by the ugly, dirty lens. I don't care if they are trying to replicate a "nostalgic" look; the picture quality simply looks bland.
Jan 21, 2018 3:07 PM

Jun 2009
Really love everything so far. KyoAni is amazing.
Jan 21, 2018 3:08 PM

May 2015
Good stuff.

The broch is back.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 21, 2018 3:16 PM

Aug 2012
Violet's letter was actually spot on lol.
Jan 21, 2018 4:10 PM

Oct 2015
Violet is really struggling to adjust, I guess it can't be helped since she only knows war. I like Erica, she seems nice but I don't like how Violet became blunt towards her. Iris is the one who is gonna be difficult to get along with, but the others are fine though.

I still find that content she wrote for that woman funny and really blunt though. Damn the animation though, its still out of this world.

Oh man is this gonna drag on about Gilbert, because he is gone and that guy should tell her.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 21, 2018 6:00 PM

Sep 2010
I understand that when there's too much hype over an anime it's going to to get some hate. Nothing is perfect and it has some flaws of course, but if biggest complaint is that it's slow paced, then it's just not your kind of anime, but it doesn't make it a bad one.
I love drama when it's well done, and that sometimes includes slow development. I love being able to just sit and get lost in the visuals, the music, those little details like the sun rising from behind the clouds. I like that it's slow cause it gives me time to think about what's really going on with a character or about the real meaning of their words.
I don't know, I'll maybe change my mind as it goes on cause as much as I like slow pace I like good stories better and we still have to see how it develops, but so far, I'm more than happy with VE
Jan 21, 2018 7:32 PM

Mar 2012
KyoAni has always been great in expressing delicacy and subtlety with detail, art style, and character design/expressions.

That said, KyoAni seems to often have trouble carrying through. Violet Evergarden feels different. But it's been two episodes, and while I've been very impressed with what I've seen, I'm going to keep cautious optimism.

On a separate note, I'd also like to see Gilbert come back alive. It seems highly unlikely that they would so strongly hint that Gilbert is dead then do the most asspull thing ever, but there's a slight window of him being in a coma or something. It would be nice for Violet to be able to end up telling him "I love you" (if she feels that way), but if he did already pass, it would at least be nice that she'd have appreciated having had him in her life.
Jan 21, 2018 10:31 PM
Oct 2017
Aurorae said:
Getting the feeling Kyoani doesn't know how to write interesting women.
Kyoto Animation doesn't write women. They write idealized Japanese women aka "Waifus". They treat their women like one would treat a puppy. Then they kick the puppy and put a gun to it's head and play sad music over it. It's cheap and manipulative. Just like they had Violet and Erica standing in the rain looking sad. That comes off as unconvincing and stupid to me. Melodrama instead of real drama.

Yeah, I rewatched episode 2 again and saw all the same Kyoani tropes. That derpy open-mouthed stare Violet has throughout the first 2 episodes is really annoying me. Women have lives!. Women do things outside of work/school! What does Violet do outside of work instead of practice typing and thinking about Gilbert?

I wish the best for this series, but Kyoani is really testing my patience again.
mlubczykJan 21, 2018 10:47 PM
Jan 21, 2018 11:29 PM
Aug 2017
While I can see why some people call it boring, it's nice to have a slow paced show once and a while. And seeing Violet slowly reintegrate into society was pretty fun and relaxing way to wind down after a long week.

Bit concerned that they'll run out of episodes before the story goes anywhere.
Jan 22, 2018 12:52 AM
Sep 2015
This episode was quite boring. Still going to give this show a try
Jan 22, 2018 1:04 AM

Jun 2015
Already noticed it during the first episode, but in many instances it's almost as if the sequencing of the scenes is made in a way just to remind you how pretty this show looks. Otherwise, it is incredibly boring.

The premise had room for more, but the furthest this show is going so far is just toying with the ambiguity of the dolls being robots or not, or Gilbert being dead or alive. None of these two should be misteries up until this point, but considering how I accidentally read spoilers about one of those, I don't really know what to think of the story of this series anymore.
Jan 22, 2018 1:42 AM

Dec 2015
Really sobering and refreshing episode, especially with that sad ending. Idk how people from that time were supposed to dress but the character designs seem kind of off with all the various hair colours/ethnicities.
~
Jan 22, 2018 1:42 AM

Feb 2008
Oh dear, they transformed Violet into Saber.

Watching Violet's socially awkward self was almost painful. It definitely alludes what sort of a life she led before joining the company. At least Violet's companions are more proficient in that regard.

On another note, while I love Takehito Koyasu's work, it is not without its caveats. As I just finished watching Stardust Crusaders, his performance as Dio is affecting my perception. I cannot help but to expect Hodgins to cry out "WRYYY!" in a frenzy. I guess I contracted the JoJo syndrome.
Jan 22, 2018 4:51 AM

Oct 2013
So when does this start getting good?
Jan 22, 2018 5:42 AM

Mar 2013
I'm loving the visuals of this anime

hope we can get more of violet past soon.
Jan 22, 2018 5:45 AM
Dec 2016
that trope about the dumb and ignorant main character is pretty old and most of the time not pulled of well. Some instances where its done well is Goku and Tsuna from Hitman Reborn. Now this is just an opinion, mine, I think that Violet is one of those good instances; as she lacks any tact what so ever, but at the same time she figures out that she was wrong and tries to work towards fixing it. She becomes a ghostwriter to figure out the meaning of love.

One more thing. How dumb what that woman who commissioned that letter. She should have read it one time over or something. Don't know if she could read. I understand is she couldn't write, thus hiring a writer, but she should be able to read. She looks educated.
Jan 22, 2018 5:50 AM

Jun 2016
Whoa. That was a much better episode than the first. Jeez. From 6/10 to 7/10 real quick. Hahaha. Well, 6.5/10, so still stuck at 6/10. Hahaha.

Anyhoo, I finally noticed the problem of most watching this, the filter or whatever foggish filter they're using hurts my eyes, too. It's too much. Please I have a poor eyesight now and I just got my new glasses, so stop, show. Haha jk. So, yeah, it's distracting and I'm forgetting how amazing the animation quality of this anime is.

I just want to cry because I was expecting that this show will be somehow about a girl who's so empowering and yet we're stuck with a girl motivated to go on with life to figure out what the fuck I love you means and she's dead most of the time. Jesus. Pathetic. I honestly feel bad for people around her because of her faults. She's too straightforward, too, and yeah she's a dead girl walking. But props to her seiyuu, I love her because she voices Mikasa. Ugh. Pretty much what motivates me to continue watching this. Yui-chan's voice is just everything to me. <3

I really thought that this show will be about war or mostly action not this lame shit. It was so overhyped and I had a very high expectations on this show, so here I am dumbfounded on how disappointing this show is so far. I felt so robbed. Haha. It seems like this show is distracting us from how lame and pathetic the main character is and the plot, too, with the animation quality. Just like Shinkai's been doing. Haha. Nah jk. I don't think I'm going to drop this show soon. Will still holding onto this show. I hope it gets better because just imagine the amount of budget went to this anime then turns out it's a trainwreck.

3/5.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 22, 2018 5:56 AM

Jun 2016
Major_Gilbert said:
Hibikase said:
Lol, I accidentally clicked the spoiler tag. Wait so... is it true? Or are you just speculating? Have you read the 2 novels already? I had my speculations in the beginning so I was not so sure. The anime makes it seems that the plot point you are talking about is pretty set in stone, but maybe it may within another condition or context i am not aware of.

But cool.

Holy shit. Is this true? Hahahaha. Holy crappu.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 22, 2018 8:07 AM

Aug 2017
I don't like so much this Saber 2.0. The filler characters of the episode are Iris, the mean girl and Erika, the shy girl. They are so boring. A character of the novel, Cattleya is just the second waifu of many people. And i still want to know the plot or wherever. The only thing interesting about this episode is the flashback. 2/5
NurguburuJan 22, 2018 8:32 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 22, 2018 9:35 AM
Jan 2015
As others have been saying, it was a decent episode with fantastic art quality and sound, but lacking depth. The character Iris is super bland but the other doll that isn't Cattleya (erica?) seems alright. People are saying that this episode was a lot of filler which I hope is true, because if the rest of this show is of the same quality plot-wise then it won't be very strong.

Although, it was cool to see Violet picking out that contradiction when erica(?) stood up for her. Knowing and accepting contradiction is a huge part of having an emotionally fulfilling life, so it's nice to see that little bit of progress from Violet here.

The typewriter close up, the bike closeup, backgrounds, all gorgeous. "Gilbert isn't coming back" is still super open ended, and since they're not saying he's straight up dead I'd guess he's disfigured or a vegetable or something. Could still be dead though.

The scene with the fake Gilbert on the bridge was hilarious. So were the scenes where Violet was sitting in on the writing process and pointing out mistakes. You'd think that the woman Violet wrote a letter for would have proof-read it...
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Naruleach - Jul 2, 2017

570 by xyntho »»
48 minutes ago

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2018

320 by Jumpre24 »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2018

286 by Cleints »»
May 13, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

620 by chiransh_agarwal »»
May 6, 11:39 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.