Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 5, 2018 6:08 PM

Jan 2017
Challenge Period: January 01, 2018 to December 24, 2018 (PST time)
Use this thread to
  • Ask questions related to the challenge.
  • Ask for and/or give recommendations for items of the challenge list.
  • Post badges donations for the challenge (please). If you do, add this: @MRC_mod
    --- When donation badges, if possible, share the links within code tags (for easier copying)
    --- Also keep in mind the signature restrictions.
    SignatureRestrictions said:
    Images placed in forum signatures must not:

a. exceed a total area of 600px width by 150px height.
    b. exceed a total file size of 300 kB.
    c. be NSFM.

Avoid in this thread

• Posting comments unrelated to the challenge.
  • Heated discussions (debates/arguing) deviating from the challenge.
  • Spoilers of any kind (use spoilers tags).
  • Double posting. Edit your last reply.

Please abide by the forum rules/guidelines (here)

Frequently Asked Questions

If you turn in your challenge before June, please @ the mod account of let us know here in the discussion! Not many people do turn-ins early on and there's lots of sign-ups, so we don't check the thread often. This can cause long waiting time in your form being checked over.

A basic explanation on how to use Baka-Updates courtesy of @AudioTsunami:
MRC_modFeb 12, 2018 3:02 PM
2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (25) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 5, 2018 6:45 PM

Jul 2014
Looking forward to this challenge especially. Could I have a recommendation for:

Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread

Jan 5, 2018 6:48 PM

Aug 2015
Aww, too bad Light Novels don't count. :(
I decided that i'll start reading them this year, it would help me finish the challenge earlier, but oh well. Twelve months to read 60 manga is fine.~

Could Mx0 be added to list of mangas based on a one-shot? MAL doesn't have an entry solely for the one-shot, but it's listed as part of this collection (it's the first one).

โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ˜†ใตใ‚ใตใ‚ใ‚‹โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“
โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“ใตใ‚ใตใ‚ใ‚Šโ˜†โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“

โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•
      โค BE KAWAII โค         
Jan 5, 2018 6:51 PM
Jul 2018
Fuzarca said:

Yeah, that is a shame. So I thought in order to spice things up a little bit, I would complete each challenge for light novels as well. Just for the fun of it. Although some challenges can't be completed for LNs, so I will just skip those :3
Jan 5, 2018 7:09 PM

Aug 2015
Hak0 said:
Fuzarca said:

Yeah, that is a shame. So I thought in order to spice things up a little bit, I would complete each challenge for light novels as well. Just for the fun of it. Although some challenges can't be completed for LNs, so I will just skip those :3

Damn, doing the challenge two times is way too hardcore for me! Reading 100+ manga/LNs a year is basically one every three or four days, is it even possible, to be honest? Unless one finishes a lot of small LNs and manga with just half a dozen chapters, but to me that would be just doing the challenge for the sake of doing it and not trying to have fun with it.

โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ˜†ใตใ‚ใตใ‚ใ‚‹โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“
โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“ใตใ‚ใตใ‚ใ‚Šโ˜†โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“

โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•
      โค BE KAWAII โค         
Jan 5, 2018 7:25 PM
Jul 2018
Fuzarca said:

Damn, doing the challenge two times is way too hardcore for me! Reading 100+ manga/LNs a year is basically one every three or four days, is it even possible, to be honest? Unless one finishes a lot of small LNs and manga with just half a dozen chapters, but to me that would be just doing the challenge for the sake of doing it and not trying to have fun with it.

I mean it was either choosing hard and completing it for both manga and light novels, or choosing expert. If I chose expert I wouldn't have much time reading light novels so I went with hard :) Completing those challenges for manga is pretty easy, I can do it in 2 weeks - although it wouldn't be that fun. But doing that for LNs can be a pain in the ass.

That is why, I am considering reading short completed light novels (1-5 volumes) and novels with very few volumes published so far, as completing some of those challenges for light novels can take up to 10 times more time. Consider the " Read a completed manga with 80 to 100 chapters in length:" challenge for example. That would take what 3 - 6 hours for a manga, but it could take up to 3 - 6 days for a light novel lol. Consider something like "Slayers" light novel for example, it has 15 volumes (each take at least 4 hours to read) and that is only 61 chapters lol. Well, if I see it is too hard, I could just "cheat" by reading a light novel and its manga adaptation to complete the same challenge xD

Some challenges should be easy for both manga and LNs though. For example, " Read a manga with a number in the title: ", I can read "U19" manga which is 3 volumes long, and it was already in my PTR. For LNs, I can read "86" which only has 1 volume translated so far :3

removed-userJan 5, 2018 7:31 PM
Jan 5, 2018 7:33 PM

Jul 2014
Fuzarca said:

There seems to be a challenge item for light novels:
(52) Read a light novel

Which is really weird since the FAQ says
"Can I use light novels for the challenge?" -- No. Light novels are not allowed and will not count for any challenge item.
Does this need fixing?
Jan 5, 2018 7:51 PM

Oct 2015
alright, lets do dis

nice error btw
>manga reading challenge
>anime title
Mei-o_ScarlettJan 5, 2018 7:58 PM
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jan 5, 2018 7:58 PM

Aug 2015
Hak0 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot you can choose the difficulty, I was thinking just about expert because that's the one I took, but it's easier to do it with manga and LNs on the other difficulties... although on hard it's still, well... hard! haha

Although one thing caught my attention on your post: Consider the "Read a completed manga with 80 to 100 chapters in length:" challenge for example. That would take what 3 - 6 hours for a manga.
If this is true for you, then you can actually forget everything I said because, well, I guess I was only talking from my point of view, because I actually take a long time to finish manga sometimes. For example, today I read seven chapters of Basara in over 3 hours, and it took me two days to finish All You Need is Kill. I think I take too much time looking at the art...

So yeah, sorry, I'm just too slow, but if you can read that fast then it's totally doable!

koto said:

There seems to be a challenge item for light novels:
(52) Read a light novel

Which is really weird since the FAQ says
"Can I use light novels for the challenge?" -- No. Light novels are not allowed and will not count for any challenge item.
Does this need fixing?

Oh, I didn't see that! Well, I hope LNs aren't only allowed for that particular challenge and that it's actually the FAQ that it's wrong, then!

edit: they edited it: ""Can I use light novels for the challenge?" -- Light novels will only be allowed for the item that requires them, but they can't be used for the whole challenge."
Meh
PleinairJan 5, 2018 9:02 PM

      โค BE KAWAII โค         
Jan 5, 2018 8:03 PM

Oct 2007
@Fuzarca @koto
it does need fixing but I'll do it tomorrow when I'm not dead on my feet after 18 straight hours of looking at the code of that website

@Scarlett_ryuken
gasp, mock my shame! yeah, I shall fix this tomorrow too when I have the energy to log into the mod account haha
do tell me where that is pls so I can fix it faster xD
ๅฏ†ๅฎคๆฎบไบบใฏใชใœ็พŽใ—ใ„ใฎใ‹ใ€‚
Jan 5, 2018 8:07 PM

Oct 2015
omakase said:
@Fuzarca @koto
it does need fixing but I'll do it tomorrow when I'm not dead on my feet after 18 straight hours of looking at the code of that website

@Scarlett_ryuken
gasp, mock my shame! yeah, I shall fix this tomorrow too when I have the energy to log into the mod account haha
do tell me where that is pls so I can fix it faster xD

basically your random generator for the manga still says anime completed and the list gives all as <anime_title> instead of manga =w=
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jan 5, 2018 8:09 PM

Oct 2007
@Scarlett_ryuken oh, that means I uploaded the wrong file and not the one I did the find > replace to. Lots of trigger happy participants will have to change stuff around, oops.
Jan 5, 2018 8:10 PM

Oct 2009
hello! the challenge list generator isn't working for me. :(

here's the error message i get:
Jan 5, 2018 8:10 PM

Oct 2015
omakase said:
@Scarlett_ryuken oh, that means I uploaded the wrong file and not the one I did the find > replace to. Lots of trigger happy participants will have to change stuff around, oops.

<.< was gonna start filling it up, oh well
Jan 5, 2018 8:19 PM

Oct 2007
Scarlett_ryuken said:

Oh, you can. I honestly don't mind. Either way that text will change for literal manga titles. As far as it looks okay when you turn in, I don't care what it looks like now. I fixed the manga_title but can't find the other thing D:

@coalas yes, the site sleeps for an hour at midnight EST (maybe?) every day because it's a free host. We have a back-up host, but I'm migrating the files ATM, so it'll be ready in a little bit. I'll leave it here and the main thread once it's done
Jan 5, 2018 8:25 PM
Jul 2018
Fuzarca said:

For example, today I read seven chapters of Basara in over 3 hours, and it took me two days to finish All You Need is Kill. I think I take too much time looking at the art...

So yeah, sorry, I'm just too slow, but if you can read that fast then it's totally doable!

Hey there is nothing wrong with spending time looking at the art. Just means you enjoy what you read :3 Also tfw I didn't even get the "Read a light novel" challenge lol.

BTW, does anyone know how "Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member:" works? Do I ask for a recommendation here or what?
Jan 5, 2018 8:27 PM

Oct 2015
omakase said:
Scarlett_ryuken said:

Oh, you can. I honestly don't mind. Either way that text will change for literal manga titles. As far as it looks okay when you turn in, I don't care what it looks like now. I fixed the manga_title but can't find the other thing D:

@coalas yes, the site sleeps for an hour at midnight EST (maybe?) every day because it's a free host. We have a back-up host, but I'm migrating the files ATM, so it'll be ready in a little bit. I'll leave it here and the main thread once it's done

////////////////////////////////////////////////// that is the issue
Jan 5, 2018 8:28 PM

Oct 2007
@Scarlett_ryuken Sankyu
Jan 5, 2018 8:28 PM

Oct 2009
omakase said:
Scarlett_ryuken said:

ohh, i see. thank you so much!!
Jan 5, 2018 8:31 PM

Oct 2007
@coalas http://malchallenge.mywebcommunity.org/MRC/form.php Back up site, you can use it.

@Hak0 well, ideally on their profile, but you can do it here too, just choose a staff member from either the manga side or anime side (everyone is listed on the Mod account profiles) and then do them an @ mention asking for the rec
Jan 5, 2018 8:42 PM

Jul 2014
Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread:

no horror, 'shoujo' romance. or yuri.

I love mystery, action, yaoi, historical, adventure

Thank you
Jan 5, 2018 9:28 PM

Mar 2017
I'm working on some banners right now, but I'm not exactly sure which code tags are supposed to be used, since it's my first time donating.
Jan 5, 2018 9:34 PM

Oct 2007
@BrainpanSonata once you finish your banners, upload them to a hosting website, like imgur or tinypic.

Then under a spoiler tag [spoiler*][/spoiler*] no * you add each banner (the direct URL link to the image that ends in .jpg or .png) and then do [img*]http://imagelink.jpg[/img*] without the * to a post in this thread.

Don't forget to mention @MRC_mod so I get the notif on that account reminding me that I have to add them
Jan 5, 2018 10:04 PM

Dec 2013
THIS YEAR I'LL COMPLETE THE CHALLENGE. Lord, please, help me.
Jan 5, 2018 10:39 PM

Aug 2015
Holy crap, formatting my post took much more time than I thought it would, and I have no idea why I chose watermelons as a theme, lol. Gonna use grapes for the anime one because why not.

Anyway, can someone recommend me a (very) good finished manhua? I always only read japanese manga, guess I got a bit of, I dunno, 'prejudice' against manga from other countries... but I need one for challenge 22 so there's nowhere to run. Only manhua, please, not manhwa.

Also, where can I search this? "43 Read a manga with a cast mostly of one gender"
PleinairJan 5, 2018 10:45 PM

      โค BE KAWAII โค         
Jan 5, 2018 11:07 PM

Mar 2015
I'm not sure if I can or not, but can I still read things if they aren't on the MAL database?
Jan 6, 2018 12:24 AM

Mar 2015
Can someone kindly recommend me a manga? It can be bizarre as hell
Jan 6, 2018 2:18 AM

Jul 2016
I'd like a recommendation for: (78) Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member
Jan 6, 2018 3:25 AM
Sep 2016
17) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread

78) Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member

Hello participants and staff members ๐Ÿ™‚
Gimme your manga reccomendation, can be anything tbh

Anime is Great
Jan 6, 2018 3:25 AM

Dec 2016
I've got a challenge 78 Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member so can @MRC_Mod give me a rec please?
Jan 6, 2018 3:30 AM

Dec 2016
DeZheng said:
17) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread

78) Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member

Hello participants and staff members ๐Ÿ™‚
Gimme your manga reccomendation, can be anything tbh

If you want something along the lines of 20th Century Boys or Monster, Billy Bat might be a good one to read @DeZheng
ScarletCelestialJan 6, 2018 3:50 AM
Jan 6, 2018 3:42 AM

Dec 2016
Fuzarca said:
Holy crap, formatting my post took much more time than I thought it would, and I have no idea why I chose watermelons as a theme, lol. Gonna use grapes for the anime one because why not.

Anyway, can someone recommend me a (very) good finished manhua? I always only read japanese manga, guess I got a bit of, I dunno, 'prejudice' against manga from other countries... but I need one for challenge 22 so there's nowhere to run. Only manhua, please, not manhwa.

Also, where can I search this? "43 Read a manga with a cast mostly of one gender"

Challenge 22: Don't know what you've got against manhwa, Nineteen-Twenty One and Noblesse are great ones to read. If you want to find Manhua, try using the advanced search because I haven't read any.

Challenge 43: Got this last year and this year, too. I worked out that as long as it says "main" for each character then they count as a protagonist. Harems by design have a lot of characters of the same gender. I also see you haven't read Pluto yet (but have read 20th Century Boys) so that might be a good one to read, or Fullmetal Alchemist is a good manga.

@Fuzarca I hope this helps!
Jan 6, 2018 3:49 AM

Dec 2016
Riyuu_ said:
Can someone kindly recommend me a manga? It can be bizarre as hell

I see you liked Annarasumanara. Afterschool War Activities (the official English release calls it Duty After School, though) and it's a bit more angsty. God of Bath is another one by that author and it's a comedy that's kinda wacky.

@Riyuu hope this helps!
Jan 6, 2018 4:26 AM

Aug 2015
ScarletCelestial said:

Thanks for the help! Call me silly but I don't like manhwas' style of putting the panels scattered on a page. I don't even know if all of them are like this, but that's why I don't like them.

I have read FMA and I'm taking a break from Urasawa Naoki's works, but I already found something to read for 43 anyway :P
But thank you for the answer!
PleinairJan 6, 2018 4:49 AM

      โค BE KAWAII โค         
Jan 6, 2018 4:57 AM

Mar 2015
@ScarletCelestial

o, thank you! I hope to enjoy it
Jan 6, 2018 5:27 AM

Jan 2017
For people who didn't read the explanation on how to ask for a rec from a Challenge staffer you have to do an @ mention to one of them on their main accounts, not on this mod account. You can also do it on their profile comments.
2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
Jan 6, 2018 5:47 AM

Feb 2014
Ok @AudioTsunami, recommend me something please
Jan 6, 2018 6:35 AM

Feb 2013
Can someone recommend me a manga for the "Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread"?
I mainly like shounen ai, mystery and shoujo but anything can work as long as it isn't ecchi :)

@Major_Gilbert @ScarletCelestial thank you guys!
RiritsuJan 6, 2018 7:50 AM
Jan 6, 2018 6:56 AM

Dec 2016
ScarletCelestial said:
I've got a challenge 78 Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member so can MRC_Mod give me a rec please?

@omakase @AudioTsunami @HeNrYTG50

Can one of you give me a rec please?
Jan 6, 2018 6:56 AM

Apr 2016
Ritshiro said:
Can someone recommend me a manga for the "Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread"?
I mainly like shounen ai, mystery and shoujo but anything can work as long as it isn't ecchi :)

3-gastu no lion is a good one. But it's slice of life though.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 6, 2018 7:04 AM

Dec 2016
Ritshiro said:

Ouran High School Host Club, Last Game or Shinobi Life for shoujo.

Despite it being labelled Shounen, Koe no Katachi is great since you liked Orange.

Hope this helps @Ritshiro!
Jan 6, 2018 7:34 AM

Sep 2017
I'd like to know a couple of things:

(12) Read a manga with less than 3,000 completed members: Can I use ongoing manga, and if yes, is their "completed" number of users ok to look at?

(20) Start and catch up to the current chapter of an ongoing manga: If I catch up now does today's date count as finish date? Even if other chapters are published before the end of the year?

(28) Read a manga published in the same magazine in which your favorite one was serialized: does it have to be in my favourites list? If not, it's sufficient to state the name and magazine of a manga I particularly like?

Then, can someone recommend some manga to me? I like mystery, historical, or (I think this is hard) something that actually teaches you something.
But I'm open to everything, if you think it's good :D
Jan 6, 2018 7:47 AM

Jul 2016
@omakase Can you give me a recommendation for: (78) Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member please
Jan 6, 2018 7:48 AM

Mar 2014
(78) Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member
@omakase @AudioTsunami @HeNrYTG50
Could I have a rec please
Jan 6, 2018 7:53 AM

Oct 2007
@ScarletCelestial Marie no Kanaderu Ongaku or Ashita no Ousama

@Vizioz Maybe Heads or Confession

@Shuichi2 Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan

@Akaraed

(12) If it's ongoing manga the 'completed' members is not real, so I wouldn't like to accept that.

(20) Good question... no, you would have to be on the latest released chapter by the time you turn in your form, whether that's a month from now on in December

(28) It doesn't have to be in your favorites so it's okay as long as you mention the manga and magazine, yup.
omakaseJan 6, 2018 8:04 AM
Jan 6, 2018 8:01 AM

Dec 2016
Akaraed said:
I'd like to know a couple of things:

(12) Read a manga with less than 3,000 completed members: Can I use ongoing manga, and if yes, is their "completed" number of users ok to look at?

(20) Start and catch up to the current chapter of an ongoing manga: If I catch up now does today's date count as finish date? Even if other chapters are published before the end of the year?

(28) Read a manga published in the same magazine in which your favorite one was serialized: does it have to be in my favourites list? If not, it's sufficient to state the name and magazine of a manga I particularly like?

Then, can someone recommend some manga to me? I like mystery, historical, or (I think this is hard) something that actually teaches you something.
But I'm open to everything, if you think it's good :D

I see you've read Pluto. I'd suggest reading Monster since it's by the same author. It's also a mystery, so I hope you like it @Akaraed!
Jan 6, 2018 8:02 AM

Dec 2016
Thanks Omakase for the rec!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (25) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Tell me an anime with good female cast that is used correctly

kirA_-_ - Yesterday

4 by dreamingneon »»
2 hours ago

» Ur fav manga

Aoust_Adenca - Mar 10, 2023

19 by Otakupervert890 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

26 by Kurt_Irving »»
5 hours ago

» Ao Haru Ride Rant (Had to get this off my chest) Spoilers!

XGirl86 - 9 hours ago

0 by XGirl86 »»
9 hours ago

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

148 by claricespectro »»
10 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.