Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 6, 2017 4:09 PM

Jan 2017
Challenge Period : January 01, 2017 to December 24, 2017

Use this thread to

• Ask questions related to the challenge.
  • Ask for and/or give recommendations for items of the challenge list.
  • Post badges donations for the challenge (please). If you do add this: @MRC_mod

Avoid in this thread

• Posting unrelated stuff to the challenge.
  • Heated discussions (debates/arguing) deviating from the challenge.
  • Spoilers of any kind (use spoilers tags).
  • Double posting. Edit your last reply.

Please abide by the forum rules/guidelines (here)

Frequently Asked Questions

A basic explanation on how to use Baka-Updates courtesy of @AudioTsunami:

@Conde_Mohr was graceful enough to share his Excel spreadsheet to keep track of this year's challenge.
Hi, I'm Conde_Mohr, and I've made a MAL 2017 Challenge excel file. With this file, you'll be able to order your challenge list for both anime and manga, see your process in real time, and make your forum post updates automatically with several options to personalize it.

I'll make a quick guide here to let you know the basics. For a more in depth guide, here's the link to the full pdf guide.

Here's the link to the excel file. If you want to submit feedback, ask about something, or anything else, feel free to PM or mention me in the Discussion Thread, but I recommend that you read the pdf first.
MRC_modJan 30, 2017 2:39 PM
2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (26) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2017 5:52 PM

Mar 2016
Well, here we go. I am excited to finally participate this year but that's gonna be a tough one - for sure. My card targets right at my weak spots, so please let me hear some recs for:

- Read a manga centered around folklore or mythology
- a general rec from another participant please.

Only limitations for both are: Completed and max 40 chapters. Preferred not on my ptw-list. Genre can be anything. You can find my list here.
Thanks in advance and good luck everyone!
SchlopsiJan 6, 2017 6:30 PM
Jan 6, 2017 6:24 PM

May 2015
Schlopsi said:
- Read a manga centered around folklore or mythology
How about Feng Shen Ji? A manhua where the humans challenge the Gods inspired from Chinese mythology.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2017 6:30 PM

Mar 2016
@zal
That would be too hard to pull through 182 chapters. Do you might have a shorter one at hand (~40 chaps)?
Jan 6, 2017 6:38 PM

May 2015
Schlopsi said:
@zal
That would be too hard to pull through 182 chapters. Do you might have a shorter one at hand (~40 chaps)?
Not that I've read of but you can find quite a lot of titles here https://www.mangaupdates.com/categories.html by typing folklore or mythology in the quick search box on the bottom.

Then I would recommend for the generic one Planetes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2017 6:40 PM

Mar 2016
zal said:
Not that I've read of but you can find quite a lot of titles here https://www.mangaupdates.com/categories.html by typing folklore or mythology in the quick search box on the bottom.

Then I would recommend for the generic one Planetes.

Alright, thanks! Will check it out then.
Jan 6, 2017 7:11 PM

Aug 2016
I have a few questions, I finally understood the bingo thing but some things concern me.
''Read an active staff member's favorite manga - Any listed in their profile. Remember they may change'' Do I provide a screenshot of their profile showing it is their favourite with the date showing which proves it was within the challenge? I mean what if you read a manga a staff has favorited and one day before the challenge ends they change it or something.

Secondly ''Read a manga published in the same magazine in which your favorite one was serialized''
What if I don't have a favourite manga that was serialized in a magazine?

signature and avatar by SenpieX
Jan 6, 2017 7:18 PM

Jan 2011
Don't think I'll bother with this one. Got a bit too burnt out last year.
Jan 6, 2017 7:43 PM

Oct 2016
The only reason I joined the challenge was because I only have one manga completed here on MAL. So recommend me any manga for #60, since I probably haven't read it.

:(

The Meme Alchemist
I hate being a scrub.

"They give no quarter, they ask no quarter."
Jan 6, 2017 7:59 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Question - What is the difference between these?

<27>. Read a manga one-shot that became a prototype for a longer series
<26>. Read a manga based on a one-shot that got serialized
Jan 6, 2017 9:27 PM

Apr 2013
Brand said:
Question - What is the difference between these?

<27>. Read a manga one-shot that became a prototype for a longer series
<26>. Read a manga based on a one-shot that got serialized

27 you have to read the one-shot in which a longer series was based, and 26 you have to read the longer series that was based on a one-shot. :)
For example, for 27 you'd read Death Note Episode 0 and for 26 you'd read Death Note
Jan 6, 2017 9:31 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Jan 6, 2017 11:21 PM

Apr 2010
Need a rec for a manga. Gimme something--anything--psychological and messed up. Preferably not hentai, but I'm willing to read yaoi, yuri, het, or non-romantic things, but people have to suffer and I'd prefer it be more focused on the inside than the outside, you dig?

Things To Keep In Mind:
  • You shut your mouth when you're talking to me.
  • My thirst for anything humanoid (and legal) cannot be contained.
Jan 6, 2017 11:30 PM

Apr 2012
I have some questions...
1. I don't care about the bingo thing (and I don't understand for what we have to use it...) I need to do it anyway in order to complete the challenge or not? (I think that we have to do it anyway but I want to ask anyway to confirm)
2. Extra Title : "Prodigious ..." -> I can add the my rule "only finished series" or I have to choose from the two in the list (lenght of 5 volumes and a genre)?
3. the genius one has to read 49 titles... what if I want to read all the 70 listed?
yu6Jan 6, 2017 11:48 PM

Jan 6, 2017 11:48 PM

Apr 2013
deideiblueeyez said:
Need a rec for a manga. Gimme something--anything--psychological and messed up. Preferably not hentai, but I'm willing to read yaoi, yuri, het, or non-romantic things, but people have to suffer and I'd prefer it be more focused on the inside than the outside, you dig?

Maybe Homunculus although it seems you have it on hold, or Oyasumi Punpun which is really interesting.
Jan 6, 2017 11:56 PM
Jul 2018
For the Year 24 Group thing.
It is said to check the FAQ, but I don't see anything about them in it.

Here the list of their members.

Members for which at least one of their manga is scanlated:
Moto Hagio
Keiko Takemiya
Yumiko Ōshima
Ryōko Yamagishi
Shio Satō
Yasuko Aoike

Members which aren't scanlated:
Toshie Kihara
Minori Kimura
Nanae Sasaya
Mineko Yamada
Yasuko Sakata
Wakako Mizuki (is published officially in English)

Riyoko Ikeda is often associated to the Group by the laymen, but not by the purists. I dunno how the challenge consider her. She's scanlated.

If you don't know who to choose, I can always help you, I'm fan of them and almost read everything available.
Their manga broad from comedy to dark/psychological stuffs passing by epic stuffs, from realistic setting to sci-fi/fantasy, from one-shots to "long" series (17 volumes is the max available with scanlation).
Jan 7, 2017 12:02 AM

Apr 2013
yu6 said:
I have some questions...
1. I don't care about the bingo thing (and I don't understand for what we have to use it...) I need to do it anyway in order to complete the challenge or not? (I think that we have to do it anyway but I want to ask anyway to confirm)
2. Extra Title : "Prodigious ..." -> I can add the my rule "only finished series" or I have to choose from the two in the list (lenght of 5 volumes and a genre)?
3. the genius one has to read 49 titles... what if I want to read all the 70 listed?

If you plan to do the Genius difficulty (which it seems you do), you only need the bingo card to know which items you have to complete, for example, in your card #93, the numbers are 30, 68, 06, 04, 69, 22, 20, 46, etc. These numbers correspond to the challenge items, so instead of just choosing whichever 49 you would like to complete, you have to use the numbers on your card.
You can only choose one challenge apart from those on your card (for the Free space in the center), so, your challenge list should look like this:

30. Read a manga adapted from a video game, original anime or light novel - Please specify the original source
68. Choose a random trope from TVTropes and read a manga listed under the trope - You may click random several times. Unless a specific title/anime is referenced, you can use any from the franchise mentioned. If the page says that the trope/examples shouldn't be used as one it won't be valid. Remember to look for the area in the trope that says "Examples" -> "Anime and Manga"
06. Read a gekiga manga - Use the relations in this club to find suggestions or if you're unsure, ask in the discussion thread
04. Read a manhua or a manhwa

And so on.

Now, for the Prodigious title, I'm not really sure, I would think you could choose your own rule, but let's ask just to be sure.

@tsuyokunaru help
Jan 7, 2017 12:07 AM

Apr 2013
zeldafan511 said:
The only reason I joined the challenge was because I only have one manga completed here on MAL. So recommend me any manga for #60, since I probably haven't read it.

:(

Since you seem to like Dragon Ball and Fullmetal Alchemist, I'd recommend stuff like Hoshi no Samidare, Hunter x Hunter, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, which are all adventure manga that I really like.
Jan 7, 2017 12:20 AM

Apr 2012
HeNrYTG50 said:
yu6 said:
I have some questions...

If you plan to do the Genius difficulty (which it seems you do), you only need the bingo card to know which items you have to complete, for example, in your card #93, the numbers are 30, 68, 06, 04, 69, 22, 20, 46, etc. These numbers correspond to the challenge items, so instead of just choosing whichever 49 you would like to complete, you have to use the numbers on your card.
You can only choose one challenge apart from those on your card (for the Free space in the center), so, your challenge list should look like this:

30. Read a manga adapted from a video game, original anime or light novel - Please specify the original source
68. Choose a random trope from TVTropes and read a manga listed under the trope - You may click random several times. Unless a specific title/anime is referenced, you can use any from the franchise mentioned. If the page says that the trope/examples shouldn't be used as one it won't be valid. Remember to look for the area in the trope that says "Examples" -> "Anime and Manga"
06. Read a gekiga manga - Use the relations in this club to find suggestions or if you're unsure, ask in the discussion thread
04. Read a manhua or a manhwa

And so on.

Now, for the Prodigious title, I'm not really sure, I would think you could choose your own rule, but let's ask just to be sure.

@tsuyokunaru help

Thank you for your explanation, it was really easy and now I understand how it works :)
(but I will try anyway to read all 70 entries as a challenge inside a challange XDDD)

Now I only need to know about the custom rule and I can start reading XD

Jan 7, 2017 12:33 AM

Apr 2013
Cappuchino said:
I have a few questions, I finally understood the bingo thing but some things concern me.
''Read an active staff member's favorite manga - Any listed in their profile. Remember they may change'' Do I provide a screenshot of their profile showing it is their favourite with the date showing which proves it was within the challenge? I mean what if you read a manga a staff has favorited and one day before the challenge ends they change it or something.

Secondly ''Read a manga published in the same magazine in which your favorite one was serialized''
What if I don't have a favourite manga that was serialized in a magazine?

I think providing a screenshot would suffice.

You have Love Plus: Rinko Days listed as your favorite, and it ran in Bessatsu Shounen Magazine, if you don't want to count that as your favorite manga, I wouldn't really know how to proceed. Maybe pick a magazine that has a lot of manga that you like?

@yu6 No problem! :)
Jan 7, 2017 12:51 AM

Jul 2015
can anyone recommend me a good manga for this #50 "read a manga that has a main character of gender opposite to the demographic"

Jan 7, 2017 2:03 AM

Aug 2015
Hey can anyone recommend me your favorite mangas?
Jan 7, 2017 2:33 AM
Jul 2018
@a-nm @Nekoutsu

Zankoku na Kami ga Shihai suru is my fav' and is a shōjo with two male leads.
It can fits a good amount of items.
Jan 7, 2017 3:07 AM

Mar 2015
Hey everyone! Would appreciate a rec for #60. If possible, I'd like something up to ~6 volumes, more seinen oriented, but as I haven't read much manga, almost anything you like is good.
Hey!

Check Mononoke out!
Jan 7, 2017 3:26 AM

Jun 2015
@Aldael

1. Koe no Katachi - It has 7 volumes. It's technically a shounen manga but it feels like a seinen. Also has an anime movie if you're interested.

2. Annarasumanara - It's a seinen manhwa. It has 3 volumes. It's available legally on Webtoons

3. Onanie Master Kurosawa - 6ish volumes. It technically doesn't have a demographic but it leans close towards seinen.

All of these are rated 8.5 and higher.
Jan 7, 2017 3:34 AM

Aug 2014
Can someone recommend me something? Under 70 chapters if possible :)

And also help with possible items I can read for the following:

30. Read a manga adapted from a video game, original anime or light novel:

31. Read a manga that has inspired or been adapted to cd drama
Jan 7, 2017 4:08 AM

Mar 2015
@ixaa

Thanks a lot! I've know about Koe no Katachi for some time and I'm definitely going to check it out, as well as Annarasumanara, which sounds very interesting. OMK I've already finished and yes, that's a very good manga indeed.
Hey!

Check Mononoke out!
Jan 7, 2017 4:21 AM

May 2015
@Tea

As for general rec I will suggest Planetes (excellent sci-fi manga), Devilman (a classic), My girl (sweet father and daughter manga) and Teppuu (sport manga with great and strong female MC)

As for the other ones:
30.You can try the Evangelion manga since you liked the anime. It's based on the manga, but with several differences. If you don't like that then the best thing I can offer you is to find anime/light novel that you like and find out if they have a manga adaptation based on them. It's probably won't be good as the source, but at least you will enjoy it.

31.Aria would be a good choice if you enjoy Slice of life manga. According to Baka updates it has been adapted to drama CD.
Also I haven't read it myself yet but Pandora hearts should be really good, so you can give it also a try. Hope that I helped

-----------------------

On another note, I asked it last year but no one answered me (or someone did and I missed it)
Is visual novels count as video games? there are some manga based on them I would like to know if they are count.
Good job on the challenge too, and good luck to everyone.
Jan 7, 2017 4:36 AM

Apr 2011
I need a rec;
- It shouldn't be romance focused. The less romance, the better.
- It shouldn't be too long, but not too short either. 50-60 chapters is ideal.
- Preferably from the 2000s or the 2010s.
- Recommend me a few, just in case.
yhunataJan 7, 2017 4:57 AM
Jan 7, 2017 5:56 AM

Oct 2007
@lady_freyja Thanks for catching that. I was so excited about being done with the post yesterday that I forgot to add it. I'll quote your post in the faq. It's very helpful.

@yu6 For the Prodigious title only one of the 2 restrictions listed in that section is enough. If you want to add your own restriction that's fine, but just having your own restriction won't award the title. Also, I see you want to try all 70 of them, that's really cool! I hope you can do, it but you should only include the ones on your bingo card in your sign up form. The rest you can do unofficially on your blog or profile.

@HeNrYTG50 You're an angel

@TakeruChan Your question was answered last year. They do count.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 7, 2017 6:38 AM

Mar 2014
In regards to ongoing manga, since you're now asking us to include the start/end date, the "declare your challenge complete" bit is just for when we add that end date to our post and not when we turn-in the whole challenge/bingo, right? So if I read an ongoing manga now and read 50 chapters and declared that as done and by the end of the year it had 100 chapters then it'd still have count as complete, yes?
Jan 7, 2017 6:38 AM

Dec 2015
Wonder if anyone would give me a recommendation for #60?

I'd prefer something mystery/crime related, I don't mind how long it is as long as it's completed.

Jan 7, 2017 6:40 AM

Mar 2014
Could someone recommend a manga? Anything will do.
Jan 7, 2017 7:02 AM

Jul 2015
lady_freyja said:
@a-nm @Nekoutsu

Zankoku na Kami ga Shihai suru is my fav' and is a shōjo with two male leads.
It can fits a good amount of items.

awesome, thank you!

Jan 7, 2017 7:04 AM

Jan 2017
Paulo27 said:
In regards to ongoing manga, since you're now asking us to include the start/end date, the "declare your challenge complete" bit is just for when we add that end date to our post and not when we turn-in the whole challenge/bingo, right? So if I read an ongoing manga now and read 50 chapters and declared that as done and by the end of the year it had 100 chapters then it'd still have count as complete, yes?

Yes and no. You have to be caught up to any ongoing manga you use by the time you turn in your challenge. If you turn it in, say, in October and by Dec 31 there's more chapters, that's irrelevant, but if you caught up to the ongoing manga in July and then want to declare you challenge finished in October, if there are more chapters out, you have to read those.

So basically you have to be caught up to all the chapters to any ongoing manga by the time you turn it in, regardless of what month it is.

@lady_freyja I attempted a short basic definition/description of the group in the FAQ, could you look it over and see if I should change anything? Thanks again for doing the list.
MRC_modJan 7, 2017 7:07 AM

Jan 7, 2017 7:13 AM

Mar 2014
MRC_mod said:
Paulo27 said:

Yes and no. You have to be caught up to any ongoing manga you use by the time you turn in your challenge. If you turn it in, say, in October and by Dec 31 there's more chapters, that's irrelevant, but if you caught up to the ongoing manga in July and then want to declare you challenge finished in October, if there are more chapters out, you have to read those.

So basically you have to be caught up to all the chapters to any ongoing manga by the time you turn it in, regardless of what month it is.
So it's basically like the previous years, got it.
But when it comes to declaring the Finished date, do we just not add it? (Well, we technically didn't finish it if it's still ongoing, did we?)
Jan 7, 2017 7:17 AM

Apr 2012
tsuyokunaru said:

@yu6 For the Prodigious title only one of the 2 restrictions listed in that section is enough. If you want to add your own restriction that's fine, but just having your own restriction won't award the title. Also, I see you want to try all 70 of them, that's really cool! I hope you can do, it but you should only include the ones on your bingo card in your sign up form. The rest you can do unofficially on your blog or profile.

Thank you for your reply :)
I already started to reading the ones for the bingo and the 70 entries XD

Jan 7, 2017 7:26 AM

Mar 2014
Also, you left "Reading" as "Watching" in the sign-up form this year too. :P
🌠 Legend: Watching - Completed - Inactive/Plan to Watch
Jan 7, 2017 7:29 AM

Oct 2007
@Paulo27 Oh, I get what you mean now. Well you add the same date that the day you turn in your form to declare your challenge finished. And yeah, my sister told me and I fixed it like 20 minutes ago haha, thanks for catching that too.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 7, 2017 7:39 AM

Mar 2014
Also for the Read a manga with a child MC - Character must be 12 or younger, does that mean only the mc/s can be under 12 or just one character even if the other mains are older?
Jan 7, 2017 7:48 AM

Nov 2013
Could anyone please give a manga recommendation? Preferably something not too long.
abystoma2Jan 18, 2017 10:28 AM
You all need to watch Nami.

Jan 7, 2017 8:16 AM

Jan 2009
"1. If you haven't edited your pattern onto your Bingo Card, please do so now. For example: Snowflake, Clover Leaf.

2. Upload your edited Bingo Card to an image hosting site, such as imgur."

If I've chosen genius difficulty level and have to complete all 49 challenges, do I really have to edit my pattern onto a bingo card?
Jan 7, 2017 8:27 AM

Mar 2014
lubryka said:
"1. If you haven't edited your pattern onto your Bingo Card, please do so now. For example: Snowflake, Clover Leaf.

If I've chosen genius difficulty level and have to complete all 49 challenges, do I really have to edit my pattern onto a bingo card?

It says here that it's optional https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1582478#msg49234436
Jan 7, 2017 8:36 AM

Feb 2014
Shuichi2 said:
Also for the Read a manga with a child MC - Character must be 12 or younger, does that mean only the mc/s can be under 12 or just one character even if the other mains are older?

Just one is necessary
Jan 7, 2017 9:03 AM

Mar 2014
Punkero said:
Shuichi2 said:

Just one is necessary

Thanks!

Sorry I have one more question, how do you know if a manga is a 4 koma? Or just a suggestion would do
Jan 7, 2017 9:10 AM

Feb 2014
Shuichi2 said:
Punkero said:

Just one is necessary

Thanks!

Sorry I have one more question, how do you know if a manga is a 4 koma? Or just a suggestion would do

Well, there is this list http://www.anime-planet.com/manga/tags/4-koma
Jan 7, 2017 9:19 AM

Jan 2009
Shuichi2 said:
lubryka said:

It says here that it's optional https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1582478#msg49234436

In "Completing Challenge Items" section it says it's optional. However, in "Turning In" section it sounds pretty obligatory. It's even included in the turn-in form:
🍡 Pattern: <pattern_name>
🍡 Patterned Bingo Card: <image_link>
Jan 7, 2017 9:24 AM

Mar 2014
lubryka said:
Shuichi2 said:

In "Completing Challenge Items" section it says it's optional. However, in "Turning In" section it sounds pretty obligatory. It's even included in the turn-in form:
🍡 Pattern: <pattern_name>
🍡 Patterned Bingo Card: <image_link>

Oh, I didn't see that part sorry

Punkero said:
Shuichi2 said:

Thanks!

Well, there is this list http://www.anime-planet.com/manga/tags/4-koma

Thanks again! Now I just need a recommendation and I'm set ^^
Jan 7, 2017 10:32 AM

Jan 2017
@lubryka It's optional, we included it as a step in the explanations and in the form because participants can remove it instead of adding the info themselves. It's a great help to have a visual representation of the figure on the card, but it really becomes irrelevant for a full card, so if you finish the genius difficulty you don't have to send in the edited card.

Jan 7, 2017 10:47 AM

Jan 2009
@MRC_mod
Thank you for the answer. Paint and I are not the best friends.

Another question:
"2. Read a manga that is a collection of short stories - They can be a compilation by the same author or by different authors"
Does the length restriction also apply to this challenge?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (26) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

373 by Yuki135 »»
4 hours ago

» PINK BANANA is coming! The first English language book of its kind which collects some of the weirdest and most obscure manga of the 60s and 70s.

showashowcase - Apr 2

1 by St0rmblade »»
5 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

50 by Nekoburger »»
6 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
6 hours ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.