Forum Settings
Forums

What's the best way for a fairly new anime fan to catch up?

New
Dec 3, 2017 3:30 AM

Mar 2017
So I still haven't ended up finishing Cowboy Bebop or any of the anime on my currently watching list (even though it's been at least 3 months since I put them there)

Got any tips for someone busy in school homeschool and doesn't have much time for anime?

Sidenote: After finishing what I'm currently watching, should I move on to PTW or On Hold?

yet another edit:
this doesn't really deal with my interest level unless it's some sort of anime that i really hate, and i tend to not continue watching those.
by catch up i do not mean "hurr this is a competition i gotta catch up with all these other people real deep in the community so i can be like them"
and my own pace is usually watching an episode or two a day without getting very glued to the screen (distracted easily) meaning I can't enjoy it very much.
KekophonicDec 4, 2017 3:33 AM
╠╬╣ 일 » 이 » 삼 » 사 ╠╬╣

Dec 3, 2017 3:35 AM
Jul 2018
Just watch at your own pace.

Spend around 2-4 hours a day over the school week. And around 6-8 over the weekend. But I recommend watching at your own pace

Or don't do homework and maybe watch a little during lunch.

I would start with the"on-hold" list
removed-userDec 3, 2017 3:40 AM
Dec 3, 2017 3:37 AM

May 2013
It's not a race, you know? It is something that you do in your spare time and enjoy. If you are busy, then so be it. Take your time and enjoy it rather than worry about something like this... {Mattaku...}
LiterallyEverySpecialSnowflake said:

i wAtcHeD tHis xxxx shOW aNd iT WaS tRASh, i HaTEd iT, wHy eVeRYonE liKEs It?
It iS sO OveRRateD, i AM sO UniQUe aND SpecIAL becAUSE I hAve dIFFerent opINIon ThaN othERs, sO I muST teLL abOut it to THe wHole WorlD, leT thEM knoW i HateD iT. It WAS sO tRasHy, sO GivE mE CouNTER-ArgUMENTs eVen thOuGh i Do NOT giVe argUEmeNTs SuppORTIng My PoiNT.
Dec 3, 2017 3:37 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
It's not a competition. It's meant to be enjoyable, go for something that you will like, not something community labels as "must watch"
Dec 3, 2017 3:38 AM

Aug 2014
Some of my list are been stuck more than. 6 months.
The only way are keep watching it'll reduce the load eventually.

After finishing your currently watching you should move both PTW and on Hold list, watch your interest most but don't force to watch something you dislike unless you want to get burn out quickly.
Dec 3, 2017 3:42 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
There is no need to catch up. Thankfully there are seasonal releases. Start the shows you want and if you have extra time, watch the shows you are interested in in-between weekly episodes. Check the top shows on MAL and see which ones you are interested in. Although beware, it will take a long time.
Dec 3, 2017 3:50 AM

Mar 2017
Barnald said:
It's not a competition. It's meant to be enjoyable, go for something that you will like, not something community labels as "must watch"

I get that but recently I've started to listen more to recommendations and look for "must watch" anime. Otherwise it's probably not going to be enjoyable. And since there's so many out there that are "must watch" series, it's hard to pick what to watch first and how to get started.
╠╬╣ 일 » 이 » 삼 » 사 ╠╬╣

Dec 3, 2017 3:56 AM

Feb 2013
watch more, read more about anime, do anything else less
Dec 3, 2017 3:56 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
It's not a race... just watch when you can and don't let it interfere with essential life stuff as many of us have
Dec 3, 2017 4:06 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Kekophonic said:
Barnald said:

I get that but recently I've started to listen more to recommendations and look for "must watch" anime. Otherwise it's probably not going to be enjoyable. And since there's so many out there that are "must watch" series, it's hard to pick what to watch first and how to get started.

My bad, I didn't explain my point well enough. I don't see anything wrong with going for widely acclaimed shows. What I meant is that you shouldn't blindly follow that labels. Like, for example, by now you should see that some genres just don't click with you too well. So you should avoid them because as higly praised must-watch shows from this genre might be, you will not like them simply because that genre is not your thing.

But I know what your standpoint is. Eventually just brief glimpse at genre and descrpition will determine if the show is for you or not. You just need a couple of disappointments of so called "must-watch" anime. I went through that as well.
Dec 3, 2017 4:08 AM

Sep 2017
Just take your time. You will catch up.
Dec 3, 2017 4:30 AM
Aug 2016
If you don't have enough time to watch anime, then that's it.
Dec 3, 2017 4:36 AM

Nov 2014
Just watch what you like and whenever you feel like it.

On hold is just stuff you watched halfway, still feel like you should get back to it sometime.

PTW is just stuff you haven't started but plan to start.

Kekophonic said:
"must watch" is just another opinion. Unless you know for sure that person has simular taste to you, you can mostly just take it with a grain of salt.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 3, 2017 4:43 AM
Dec 2013
I guess just stick to watching one anime (Cowboy Bebop for example) until you finish it, then when you've finished that, move on to the next anime that's on your currently watching list. Whatever you do, do NOT speedwatch.
Dec 3, 2017 4:45 AM

Feb 2016
Just watch man.... who are you trying too catch up with???? its not some contest its entertainment
Dec 3, 2017 4:47 AM

Jun 2015
Why? It's a hobby, not a competition.
Dec 3, 2017 4:49 AM

Aug 2016
Personally if you don't have the time I would watch the seasonal shows. Basically watch the weekly releases, and even if you get hooked you can't binge watch it through since it hasn't been fully released. Just a small time management tip.
That aside, there's no such thing as "catch up". No ones going to judge you for being "behind" or not knowing the current anime trend or the best shows, just watch whatever and whenever but remember to not compromise your school work for anime.

バカ
I'm not smart, I just wear glasses
"Anime is just Japanese Cartoons, Cartoons are just Western Anime"
☁ н є ѕ ι т α т ι σ и ☁
Dec 3, 2017 4:52 AM

Feb 2010
Catch up with who? I'm not sure I have the full grasp of the context here.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 3, 2017 2:17 PM

Mar 2017
By catch up I mean finish most of the more "critically" acclaimed series (using critically loosely here) so that then I can move on to watching seasonal anime more often. With all that is coming out so much it's very easy to miss out on things.
╠╬╣ 일 » 이 » 삼 » 사 ╠╬╣

Dec 3, 2017 3:00 PM

May 2009
Really, honestly, it's not a priority to "catch up" or specifically try to force yourself to watch really famous stuff, unless you're doing it just to have something to talk with people about, and that's...a little lame, especially if you're not really enjoying what you're watching.

Instead, just watch whatever interests you.

If you specifically want to develop your hobby by following in the footsteps of others, do by all means make use of the various anime rec charts that are out there, and also if you really want to get into conversations with hardcore anime fans, follow the current-season stuff.

But there's many other ways to find anime to enjoy. I, for example, sorta set down accidentally on a path of just following my own tastes, and in retrospect, I like it that way.

I've only seen a handful of shows that people have consistently talked about over the years (and they are as follows:
)

but I'm okay with that. Sure, I don't get to participate in as many anime discussions as some people might like, but for me, I care more about getting really absorbed in the series I watch and going my own way with my tastes has probably helped with that.

Alternatively, maybe it's just that a lot of perennially-popular series are action/thriller/psychological series (think Death Note, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, FMA(B)) or comedy series (e.g. Lucky Star, Nichijou, Yuru Yuri) and I'm into something else. Like, I know I'm more into character dramas and fantasy adventures, on average.
GlennMagusHarveyDec 3, 2017 3:08 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 3, 2017 3:16 PM

Apr 2015
I wouldn't worry about catching up unless there's a particular series you're dying to discuss. I've been watching for almost two decades and haven't even covered 5% of the medium.

Also, if you did finish all the "critically acclaimed" shows, then you might develop an extremely high standard of watching. With that, you wouldn't even have to worry about seasonals since very few become critically acclaimed; some take years to acquire such "status".
Dec 3, 2017 3:21 PM

May 2009
Graumann said:
I wouldn't worry about catching up unless there's a particular series you're dying to discuss. I've been watching for almost two decades and haven't even covered 5% of the medium.

Also, if you did finish all the "critically acclaimed" shows, then you might develop an extremely high standard of watching. With that, you wouldn't even have to worry about seasonals since very few become critically acclaimed; some take years to acquire such "status".

I'd disagree about it being "high standards" -- though one would probably develop certain tastes if one did that, and those tastes would likely align roughly with consensus tastes of the hardcore fandom.

Running on that, yeah, it'd be natural to expect that one would end up with an opinion on any given new series that one hasn't watched, that's similar to the fandom consensus opinion.
Dec 3, 2017 3:48 PM

Jun 2014
Kekophonic said:
By catch up I mean finish most of the more "critically" acclaimed series (using critically loosely here) so that then I can move on to watching seasonal anime more often. With all that is coming out so much it's very easy to miss out on things.

I could be wrong, but I think what you need to do is sit in front of your screen, watch the episodes and bam you answered your question.

Do that all through winter 2018 then start seasonal spring 2018.
Dec 3, 2017 4:01 PM
Aug 2016
As everyone has mentioned, is to be at your own pace.
Dec 3, 2017 6:06 PM
Jul 2018
Don't be in a hurry dude, watch anime slowly but surely
Dec 3, 2017 6:35 PM

Jan 2011
Do what I do and get around to it after half a decade or so.
Dec 3, 2017 6:42 PM

Sep 2016
My advice would be to watch all the stuff that has a lasting impact, the really popular stuff so you're in the know.
-Death note
-AoT
-Sword art
-Naruto / Bleach

The big shows, and maybe watch whatever the current popular seasonal anime is. this will help you get a grasp on anime culture, and find your place within the community.

after that just watch anything you want, old shows, new shows, find the stuff you like and just enjoy it.
I don't care.
Dec 3, 2017 6:49 PM

Jan 2017
Hold up, you're HOMESCHOOLED and you don't have enough time? Nuh uh honey, believe me I've been home schooled and you have LOTS of time, at least compared to people going to regular school, but for my advice just binge a bunch of series that are 12-24 eps long when you have time. You can watch the long-ass shounens on summer break. Also, you don't have to bother with watching everything that everyone else is watching, watch whatever you want to watch, or if your like me, you have no idea what you want to watch, but you don't want to watch the crappy seasonals, so just use a random number generator.

Also just finish off those "On-hold" anime, you don't need any yellow on your MAL bar, it'll be good for your soul to finish them so you can start new anime.
JersieDec 3, 2017 6:54 PM
Dec 3, 2017 6:58 PM
Berserkfan69

May 2017
I also have trouble finding time to watch series.

I usually just pick a day that I know I'll have enough time to watch a 11-13 ep series then I binge that series, and if its more than 13 ep I'll watch it at a medium pace until the last 5-10 episodes then I binge it (Cause cutting up the ending is anticlimactic).

Anyway bro, just do what you want to do with your free time, I wouldn't force myself to watch a series if I'd rather play video games or watch a hollywood movie ect...

If I had to pick the top 5 "Must watch anime" out of your On-Hold list they'd be:

Shinsekai Yori

Serial Experiments Lain

SNAFU (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.)

Akira

And Death Note? I thought it went downhill after Light gave up the death note, but I don't understand quitting so close to the end.
Dec 3, 2017 6:59 PM

Jun 2014
Kekophonic said:
Got any tips for someone busy in school homeschool
ask your mom to add anime to your daily curriculum, y'know, for the "educational value." Call it "cultural studies" or make up some bullshit; subtitles counts as reading, right?
Dec 3, 2017 7:05 PM

Oct 2014
How does someone new to European food catch up? How does someone new to alcohol catch up? How does someone new to Latin American snacks catch up? How does someone new to French comic books catch up?

There is no gold standard for anime. It's meant to be enjoyed, you don't need to rush yourself. Just like with ultimate frisbee the winners aren't the people who scored the most goals they're the people who had the most fun. Watch anime in whatever way leads to the most enjoyment for you personally and if other people in your group are ruining it for you find a different group. Spoilers and poisoning the well can ruin your enjoyment so make sure not to hang around too negative of people. Don't let people convince you that anything is a must watch. If a dish containing peanut sauce is a must try at a restaurant someone with an peanut allergy still isn't going to eat it no matter how good it may taste to the people without one. Watch at your own pace and feed your own taste. No anime is for everyone.

I would personally recommend watching a few anime from each of the most common genres just to get a feel for which ones you like the most since anime contains a number of genres Western media lacks.
zombie_pegasusDec 3, 2017 7:08 PM
Dec 3, 2017 7:16 PM
Feb 2012
First of all you will never catch up and that's just the plain truth. There are thousands of anime that even seasoned watchers can't catch up.

Anyway I would tell you not to pay attention to any recently aired series [2016-2017 series]. Unless there is an anime that recently finished airing and you really want to watch, then watch it, otherwise put those on the back burner. You can read reviews and sort through their ratings later and start picking from there.
And don't watch any shorts like those 3 to 12 minute anime, those are 99% ignorable trash.

Don't make a point to watch your on-hold list either. Idk what your on-hold list means to you but if they are there then I assume you probably didn't like them that much.

Move on to your ptw list and start picking up some of the older titles by preference.
Dec 3, 2017 7:55 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Catch up? Just relax since you don't lose anything from not being able to catch up.

Just watch anime after school or work at night when you don't have homework or test tomorrow.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Dec 3, 2017 9:12 PM

Oct 2017
Yeah will agree here its not a race I have been watching anime for awhile and there are ton of must watches for new anime fans that I never got around to and my watched list isn't all that impressive compared to some. Watch out of enjoyment maybe its just me but if I am watching because I have to I won't enjoy it as much. Its a hobby not a job. Also there is the question of why you would ever want to catch up having something to watch eventually is exciting and keeps you invested in the hobby I think its harder being a more experienced watcher because you have already seen so much.
BilboBaggins365Dec 3, 2017 9:15 PM
Dec 3, 2017 9:57 PM

Sep 2016
Most of the animes in my complete list are around 12 episodes or less, they are all worth a watch in case you need a short one.
Dec 3, 2017 10:19 PM

Feb 2015
Dude I'm totally on your level... I'm in independent school, have 5 horses and am currently trying to pass a major test... But I have created the perfect anime watching schedule!!!

I get up around 7:30-8:00
Watch anime and eat breakfast till 9:00-10:00
Start work
At 12:00ish eat lunch and watch anime
1:30ish leave for horses
Comeback between 5:30-7:00
Eat and wash
Watch anime till 9:30-10:00
Sleep and restart...

I could easily get 10 episodes in a day... Create a schedule like me and stick to it... You'll catch up in no time
Dec 3, 2017 10:40 PM

May 2009
Jersie said:
Hold up, you're HOMESCHOOLED and you don't have enough time? Nuh uh honey, believe me I've been home schooled and you have LOTS of time, at least compared to people going to regular school, but for my advice just binge a bunch of series that are 12-24 eps long when you have time. You can watch the long-ass shounens on summer break. Also, you don't have to bother with watching everything that everyone else is watching, watch whatever you want to watch, or if your like me, you have no idea what you want to watch, but you don't want to watch the crappy seasonals, so just use a random number generator.

Also just finish off those "On-hold" anime, you don't need any yellow on your MAL bar, it'll be good for your soul to finish them so you can start new anime.
As someone's had experiences of having lots of poorly-scheduled time, I know how the idea that one has more time can turn out to be an illusion, because one always feels that one should be doing something else.
Dec 4, 2017 3:28 AM

Mar 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
As someone's had experiences of having lots of poorly-scheduled time, I know how the idea that one has more time can turn out to be an illusion, because one always feels that one should be doing something else.

Yeah. Mid watching an episode I get pretty distracted (going to social media, my homeschool website to get started on a few lessons, etc.) so I find it super hard to keep my attention glued to an anime REGARDLESS of how much I enjoy it.

xBasil said:

Anyway bro, just do what you want to do with your free time, I wouldn't force myself to watch a series if I'd rather play video games or watch a hollywood movie ect...

And Death Note? I thought it went downhill after
, but I don't understand quitting so close to the end.

Thing is, I really want to watch anime either casually or as a genuine hobby just like gaming but it's not as easy for some reason. There's so much of it to do that I can't find the proper time to.

None of this deals with my interest level.

Also, I am in the middle of reading the manga for DN during toilet breaks or before bed so I've put the anime on hold. I might be wrong on what episode I'm on too.
╠╬╣ 일 » 이 » 삼 » 사 ╠╬╣

Dec 6, 2017 12:06 PM

Sep 2017
Watch what you think you'll enjoy. Try to watch at your own pace. You wont know you watched a lot and you will be surprised.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

236 by StyxParadise »»
1 minute ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 3 hours ago

6 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 4 hours ago

20 by tchitchouan »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 6 hours ago

26 by Catalano »»
15 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Yesterday

22 by deg »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.