Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 5, 2017 6:52 AM

Jul 2015
I laugh a lot looking for a criticism and logic in an anime, because Spinne has unleashed his power and destroyed many things. However, in Naruto, it does not bother anyone to see Konoha be destroyed several times and repair in a few days, that few ninja intervene when an important event happens, only in Tokyo Ghoul who is nevertheless in one of the most populated cities of world, that Ghouls just fight two or three and that people do not notice anything.

We can go far with this kind of totally stupid reasoning.
Nov 5, 2017 7:26 AM

Aug 2013
after 4eps in I finally know what's going on... barely
Nov 5, 2017 8:02 AM

Sep 2011
I get a feeling I need to watch this episode again to understand why they're fighting and why they want Ren to be strong.

That's the only part that confuses me.

But at the same time, I don't want to re-watch it because this series is just... eh, that I might drop this soon enough.

Nov 5, 2017 10:32 AM

Jul 2012
Dat infodump...

I mean, the whole thing was kinda rushed as heck, but they did presented most of what they should. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Already way better delivered than Chaos;Child's and Rewrite's adaptations from some time ago (just for the sake of VN adaptation comparisons), but still...

I'll go with a 3.5/5
Nov 5, 2017 10:35 AM
Feb 2016
UltimaWeaponEX said:
I laugh a lot looking for a criticism and logic in an anime, because Spinne has unleashed his power and destroyed many things. However, in Naruto, it does not bother anyone to see Konoha be destroyed several times and repair in a few days, that few ninja intervene when an important event happens, only in Tokyo Ghoul who is nevertheless in one of the most populated cities of world, that Ghouls just fight two or three and that people do not notice anything.

We can go far with this kind of totally stupid reasoning.

The thing is that in Dies Irae it makes sense because of who's moving the strings, to put it simply people don't really leave and no matter how many die or are born the population evens itself out and never changes in number. The city is called shambhala, or ghetto
Nov 5, 2017 2:38 PM

Sep 2014
E96825 said:
The thing is that in Dies Irae it makes sense because of who's moving the strings, to put it simply people don't really leave and no matter how many die or are born the population evens itself out and never changes in number. The city is called shambhala, or ghetto

I'm pretty sure ghetto refers to
There is no sanity here, we are madmen engaging in usless folly.
Nov 5, 2017 7:03 PM

Jan 2014
I felt like I had missed an episode when I clicked start on this one. Turns out it literally is just a mess.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 5, 2017 8:35 PM

Apr 2009
I understand that I would have a bit hard time understanding this show because I'm anime-only, plus it sounds like the show is rushed with some things crammed in or omitted to fit everything in one season worth of episodes. However, even after reading explanations that the VN-readers posted, I feel like this show is... just weird and (no offense) dumb as heck?

So these supah-human Nazis want to train our MC Ren to be supah-stronk like them, beat him up, and then use his soul to summon that floaty-gold-skelington-city-thingie, which is under control of that aloof-looking-while-overly-trying-too-hard-to-look-cool Nazi commander leader guy-dude-man from the episode 0, in order to... grant their wish?? Is that it?? What about the mage guy that everyone keeps mentioning about? Does he actually have some ulterior motive, something like "haha, I'm pretending to help you Nazi scumbags, but actually I'm just using you all to become a God, conquer the universe, and free muh guillotine grill-friend! LOL!" I know I'm wrong, since I never read the VN, but that's the vibe I'm getting from what I'm seeing on my screen.

Well, nevertheless, I suppose not every show can be entertaining, sensible, or well made. I can... understand that.
To be or not to be... that is not the question. ;3
Nov 6, 2017 4:29 AM

Oct 2008
Still trying to connect the pieces of puzzles! but at least we get a bit of info dump from Sakurai.
Ren was savage eliminating that string whatever dude!
4/5.

Nov 6, 2017 8:22 AM
Feb 2016
ShieldKnight said:
E96825 said:

I'm pretty sure ghetto refers to

In Wehrwolf Trifa says that the city is called Ghetto because it's like a detention facility or something like that. He also calls it the Shambhala of the swastika
E96825Nov 6, 2017 8:27 AM
Nov 7, 2017 5:46 PM

Jul 2015
FINALLY AN EXPLANATION. And an in-depth one at that. On the other hand, the edge is cutting pretty deep this episode ain't it. I can almost feel it. Not that that's a bad thing, this episode was pretty good, and I quite enjoyed the action.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Nov 8, 2017 5:44 AM

May 2017
MC is such a lucky guy, Kasumi is wife material
Nov 8, 2017 2:10 PM
Feb 2017
It was good, actually really good compared to previous episodes because it nicely explains most of the stuff happening. The rushing also slowed down. On the other side tho, the Ren vs Spinne was somewhat underwhelming. The ripping of his limbs part was just weird and cringy. Spinnes character was non-existent (although he did not get too much development in the visual novel either, but atleast the anime should have mentioned his motivations). Also, Spinne and Ren were op compared to the visual novel. Spinne was just casually slicing buildings apart and Ren was just growing blades from every inch of his body... not sure how to feel about this. Also, Spinne should have mentioned his relic, the name of it. On a side note, that dating Sakurai scene was hilarious.
HydranixNov 8, 2017 2:18 PM
Nov 8, 2017 9:53 PM

May 2016
lmao what is this stupidass garbage? Spend half the episode on completely worthless exposition, and then one of the most shittily choreographed fights I've ever seen in anime? Shit niqqas.
Nov 8, 2017 11:00 PM

Sep 2014
It's hard not to notice how much of an impact execution and animation have on a series. I may have issues with certain aspects of the source material, but Ufotable could have easily turned this episode into a spectacle. And of course, good scenes can turn into a mess in the hands of the wrong studios, just like Deen did with F/SN.

What saddens me is that Dies Irae's quality isn't any better than Deen's F/SN. Come on now, that's an 11 year difference!
FlamepriesTNov 8, 2017 11:09 PM
Nov 9, 2017 3:07 PM

Oct 2015
@FlamepriesT

Oof, you're right. As a VN reader this is starting to become what DEEN Stay Night is to fate. And its sad. My pipe dream is for Ufotable to give this series a reset and do the Sakurai route.
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Nov 10, 2017 3:57 AM
Aug 2017
venn2009 said:
I understand that I would have a bit hard time understanding this show because I'm anime-only, plus it sounds like the show is rushed with some things crammed in or omitted to fit everything in one season worth of episodes. However, even after reading explanations that the VN-readers posted, I feel like this show is... just weird and (no offense) dumb as heck?

So these supah-human Nazis want to train our MC Ren to be supah-stronk like them, beat him up, and then use his soul to summon that floaty-gold-skelington-city-thingie, which is under control of that aloof-looking-while-overly-trying-too-hard-to-look-cool Nazi commander leader guy-dude-man from the episode 0, in order to... grant their wish?? Is that it?? What about the mage guy that everyone keeps mentioning about? Does he actually have some ulterior motive, something like "haha, I'm pretending to help you Nazi scumbags, but actually I'm just using you all to become a God, conquer the universe, and free muh guillotine grill-friend! LOL!" I know I'm wrong, since I never read the VN, but that's the vibe I'm getting from what I'm seeing on my screen.

Well, nevertheless, I suppose not every show can be entertaining, sensible, or well made. I can... understand that.

No.
Nov 10, 2017 4:00 AM
Aug 2017
VIKINGUBERMENSCH said:
@FlamepriesT

Oof, you're right. As a VN reader this is starting to become what DEEN Stay Night is to fate. And its sad. My pipe dream is for Ufotable to give this series a reset and do the Sakurai route.

Isn't Kei's route an open end one that didn't give a satisfied ending and Ren is really weak in that route?
Nov 10, 2017 3:22 PM

Oct 2015
@Himawari9

Im only on the part where
So i cant say for sure, its just im having alot of fun in the Kei route.
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Nov 10, 2017 7:03 PM
Aug 2017
VIKINGUBERMENSCH said:
@Himawari9

I see. This will follow Marie's route which is seen as the best route.
Nov 10, 2017 7:15 PM

Aug 2014
Himawari9 said:
VIKINGUBERMENSCH said:
@Himawari9

The majority by a considerable margin regard Reas route as the best route though
Nov 10, 2017 7:36 PM
Aug 2017
Insertanamehere said:
Himawari9 said:

The majority by a considerable margin regard Reas route as the best route though

From what I see, people say that Marie's route is the best while Rea's route is the true ending.
Nov 10, 2017 8:08 PM

Aug 2014
Himawari9 said:
Insertanamehere said:

From what I see, people say that Marie's route is the best while Rea's route is the true ending.

It is the true ending, but as for the first part not at all lol, I'd be surprised if even a significant minority say Maries is better than Reas. It's set up in such a way that its almost impossible not to like Reas route the most.

https://twitter.com/Conjueror/status/886877817903951872
Only a small sample size but it's the only english poll I know of for this.

I personally prefer Keis route over Maries though. But the Reas is definitely #1.
Nov 10, 2017 9:14 PM
Aug 2017
Insertanamehere said:
Himawari9 said:

It is the true ending, but as for the first part not at all lol, I'd be surprised if even a significant minority say Maries is better than Reas. It's set up in such a way that its almost impossible not to like Reas route the most.

https://twitter.com/Conjueror/status/886877817903951872
Only a small sample size but it's the only english poll I know of for this.

I personally prefer Keis route over Maries though. But the Reas is definitely #1.

Not everyone participated in that twitter poll. From what I read on some review blogs of people who played the VN even before the official English version came out, they said that Marie's is the best route.
There has to be some reasons the studio choose Marie's route for the anime.
Well, it is not like I know anything but I did prefer Marie's route because of Mercurius.
Nov 10, 2017 10:27 PM

Aug 2014
Himawari9 said:

Not everyone participated in that twitter poll. From what I read on some review blogs of people who played the VN even before the official English version came out, they said that Marie's is the best route.
Well, it is not like I know anything but I did prefer Marie's route because of Mercurius.

I haven't read any blog which said Maries is the best myself, I'd be interested in reading their reasoning if you could point me in the direction of those though.
They chose Maries route because Reas route is impossible to do without the context from the other 3 routes, and Kasumi and Keis would be too unsatisfactory as standalones, Maries works the strongest as such.
Also Mercurius has a larger role and far more characterisation in Reas route so that's pretty weird lol.
Nov 11, 2017 1:49 AM
Aug 2017
Insertanamehere said:
Himawari9 said:

I haven't read any blog which said Maries is the best myself, I'd be interested in reading their reasoning if you could point me in the direction of those though.
They chose Maries route because Reas route is impossible to do without the context from the other 3 routes, and Kasumi and Keis would be too unsatisfactory as standalones, Maries works the strongest as such.
Also Mercurius has a larger role and far more characterisation in Reas route so that's pretty weird lol.

Because I don't want him to die, that is all. I don't know how to find those blogs that I stumbled upon by chance again.
Nov 14, 2017 8:49 AM

Apr 2015
Fakken hell

Why did they ruined the LDO and Isaak reveal during Kei's convo? They could've just added their silhouette instead.

Also Spinne become less cowardly and spiderly here, which kind of cringed me up. WTF is that sudden Goldene Schwan Lohengrin??!! Why could they messed up such an easy episode to adapt? Curse you the director of Dies!!

A lot of scenes was rushed as expected, Also lol Ren's feet can turn to relic now.
Nov 23, 2017 2:16 PM

Nov 2009
4 episodes in and I find that I am actually very much enjoying this series so far. I don't understand the very low rating...it doesn't deserve that at all. Then again I have seen much worse series being rated extremely high...
Still...what the hell...what's with all this hate...
MAL, please stop...
Feb 3, 2018 5:26 PM

May 2010
kdog1000 said:
It's amazing how much more enjoyable this can be when they don't rush through 80% of the content. Still some glaring issues, but overall it's another step up from their previous episodes.

(Most glaring issue being the constant fade to black transitions. God those are getting to be annoying. Just fill the space with static imagery or something.)

LOL (or more like, chuckle out loud?), I just had an interesting thought. Constant fade to black transitions could really sell a gothic atmosphere, but only on the condition that the viewer doesn't notice. I'm just imaging these creators viewing this as a gambit, like a bluff at a poker game. "Will they notice? If they do, then I lose... but fuck it, I think I've got this!"
“Money can't buy dere”
Oct 6, 2020 10:26 PM

Jul 2016
Tennouji said:
I get a feeling I need to watch this episode again to understand why they're fighting and why they want Ren to be strong.

That's the only part that confuses me.

But at the same time, I don't want to re-watch it because this series is just... eh, that I might drop this soon enough.

Do they need him to be strong so they can beat him because they get a wish fulfilled if they beat somebody strong?

Seems really stupid whatever way it is.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is the VN as bad as the anime?

FireFistYK - Dec 9, 2017

12 by PunGood020 »»
Oct 10, 2023 1:23 PM

» Shinza Banshou

AkatsukiUlquiora - Dec 1, 2020

3 by InstantRamenKing »»
Apr 26, 2023 5:54 AM

Poll: » Dies Irae Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2017

78 by NoviSun »»
Mar 20, 2021 12:58 PM

Poll: » Dies Irae Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2017

88 by ReaperCreeper »»
Dec 29, 2020 5:05 AM

Poll: » Dies Irae Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2017

76 by Vindicater »»
Oct 19, 2020 4:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.