Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 9, 2017 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
Great ep but best bit for me was just hearing Nazuka Kaori's lovely voice as the princess. She's perfect for roles like that imo. Beautiful, dignified sounding voice.
Nov 9, 2017 6:29 AM
Jul 2018
Jonesy974 said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

You say that I was "throwing a fit" and must've had a, "vomit filled seizure", but ironically, from your post, it looks like you're the one who had a "vomit filled seizure" from reading somebody else's opinion.
If you're going to throw insults like a 5 year old because you disagree with someone's opinion on a cartoon, especially after that same person elaborated on his opinion, AND go almost off-topic, please save yourself from the embarrassment, and either delete your post, or stop throwing insults.
None of my posts of this episode implied that I was, "throwing a fit". No, "throwing a fit" would mean to bombard people with insults, like you are doing.
I have simply explained my issues with this episode in logical detail, yet you, good sir, are throwing a fit over MY opinion.

Ah so you're doing the whole straw-man argument of "oh someone called me out on my antics, so I'm going to belittle the importance of the show by calling it a cartoon, and then act like a good respectable person as a façade to try and bolster your argument?"

Ok, sweet. Cool beans. We'll just pretend you didn't also blanket insult the entire MAL community by stereotyping the why people critique a show. And we'll pretend you didn't completely ignore my remark about how what you're getting mad about happened in other episodes. AND we'll pretend that you weren't trying to present your opinion as facts the entire time.

Golly gee, playing pretend sure is fun.

I've decided to stop arguing, because you haven't given anything to me worth arguing about: you're just repeating nearly everything other people have said, plus, I don't want to "argue" about anime with people who resort to insulting.

Yes, I stereotyped people on MAL, and I apologize for that.

But I NEVER, presented my opinions as facts.
Nov 15, 2017 8:29 PM

Sep 2015
Best episode of the new season so far. Had the serious parable overtones and ironic twists. It was almost a little much to me that EVERYone was lying. Even though the Episode title tried to prepare me for it. IE the crazy guy faking it was a bit strange to me. But other characters, besides Kino and Hermes, have always been a bit strange. It fits into the tall tale aesthetic of the story. More like this please.
Nov 16, 2017 12:16 AM

Aug 2016
Am I supposed to be like, wow I knew it all along everyone is lying! Is that supposed to be the enjoyment of this show? Quirky little things like this?

What a stupid fucking show lol. Dropped. Only stuck around thus far because this is supposed to be some top tier show. Snoozefest in reality.
Dec 6, 2017 2:36 PM

Jan 2014
So Ernest Hemmingway drove a dirt bike and became president of the first country? Or am I the only one that picked up a massive Hemmingway vibe on the first part of this episode?

Anathor said:
The way she sent him away made me rofl, "hey I heard an engine in the distance..go!" he dashed off without thinking twice.

Which was also just a role he was playing. Seemed like all three of them were in on it: the princess, the hero, and his blonde friend from the pub. But at least the princess does not seem to know the hero knows, and the friend either doesn't know too, or is a true MVP.

Mezo-RPWPA said:
I knew it, I knew that he was faking it as well :D I love this anime so fucking much :D Can't wait for the next episode.
TheHopefulOtaku said:
The most fucked up and disgusting episode of this series by far.
Everyone's a liar, and they're happy with it. Kino's positive reaction and the music further reinforces that it's apperenlty good for everybody to be lying to each other.
Little confused by the ending. Does the man know everything? That the woman whom he's living with is actually his lover, the princess?

Slightly disturbing though/as well, how seemingly no-one seems to have any issues with sacrificing the royal family's doubles, or the princess continuous reliance on a rather extensive spy network of dubious character.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Dec 6, 2017 3:45 PM

Aug 2014
Laionidas said:
So Ernest Hemmingway drove a dirt bike and became president of the first country? Or am I the only one that picked up a massive Hemmingway vibe on the first part of this episode?

Anathor said:
The way she sent him away made me rofl, "hey I heard an engine in the distance..go!" he dashed off without thinking twice.

Which was also just a role he was playing. Seemed like all three of them were in on it: the princess, the hero, and his blonde friend from the pub. But at least the princess does not seem to know the hero knows, and the friend either doesn't know too, or is a true MVP.

Mezo-RPWPA said:
I knew it, I knew that he was faking it as well :D I love this anime so fucking much :D Can't wait for the next episode.
TheHopefulOtaku said:
The most fucked up and disgusting episode of this series by far.
Everyone's a liar, and they're happy with it. Kino's positive reaction and the music further reinforces that it's apperenlty good for everybody to be lying to each other.
Little confused by the ending. Does the man know everything? That the woman whom he's living with is actually his lover, the princess?

Slightly disturbing though/as well, how seemingly no-one seems to have any issues with sacrificing the royal family's doubles, or the princess continuous reliance on a rather extensive spy network of dubious character.

why is it disturbing tho? the people believed that they got rid of the horrible family and no one knows about what happened other than the 3 important characters.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Dec 7, 2017 2:56 AM

Jan 2014
Mezo-RPWPA said:
why is it disturbing tho? the people believed that they got rid of the horrible family and no one knows about what happened other than the 3 important characters.

The princess set up, and the hero threw a grenade at an innocent family, so they could continue their happy lives of lies. How does the unimportant people not knowing about this make it O.K.?

You could say it is understandable. It is understandable that the princess rather has a random replacement family blown up, rather than her own. It is understandable that the hero is happy to know he blew up a random replacement family, rather than his lover and her family. That doesn't make it O.K. though.
- Mishima Hitomi
Dec 7, 2017 3:36 PM

Aug 2014
Laionidas said:
Mezo-RPWPA said:

The princess set up, and the hero threw a grenade at an innocent family, so they could continue their happy lives of lies. How does the unimportant people not knowing about this make it O.K.?

You could say it is understandable. It is understandable that the princess rather has a random replacement family blown up, rather than her own. It is understandable that the hero is happy to know he blew up a random replacement family, rather than his lover and her family. That doesn't make it O.K. though.

the hero thought he killed those guy and that they were bad people, and he only knew that they weren't the real family after the girl returned.
About The other family being torn apart, have you ever heard of a body double? they are used everywhere in real life politics so it is natural to find them in a scenario like that.

Dec 8, 2017 1:18 AM

Jan 2014
Mezo-RPWPA said:
the hero thought he killed those guy and that they were bad people, and he only knew that they weren't the real family after the girl returned.
About The other family being torn apart, have you ever heard of a body double? they are used everywhere in real life politics so it is natural to find them in a scenario like that.

It's "natural", but it is striking that the princess seems to have known very well what was going to happen and yet shows absolutely no sympathy for them.

Then the hero you'd say would feel at least slightly upset upon learning he killed the doubles, while he is sleeping happily with the woman he was supposed to kill, her family who he was also supposed to kill continues to steer a spy network from abroad, and his best friend is one of the spies and probably knew all along.

Like I said: understandable but not O.K. You'd expect a bit more emotional baggage with the main actors on that part.
- Mishima Hitomi
Dec 8, 2017 3:12 AM

Aug 2014

Laionidas said:
Mezo-RPWPA said:

It's "natural", but it is striking that the princess seems to have known very well what was going to happen and yet shows absolutely no sympathy for them.

Then the hero you'd say would feel at least slightly upset upon learning he killed the doubles, while he is sleeping happily with the woman he was supposed to kill, her family who he was also supposed to kill continues to steer a spy network from abroad, and his best friend is one of the spies and probably knew all along.

Like I said: understandable but not O.K. You'd expect a bit more emotional baggage with the main actors on that part.

well ... the story is set some years into the future, and when The waifu meets him he had already known about the whole thing before, so it's obvious he won't be feeling all that sad for them for more than a couple of years, besides that is their job you know so it's obvious that they knew they would be dead at any time.

Dec 8, 2017 3:33 AM

Jan 2014
Mezo-RPWPA said:
well ... the story is set some years into the future, and when The waifu meets him he had already known about the whole thing before, so it's obvious he won't be feeling all that sad for them for more than a couple of years, besides that is their job you know so it's obvious that they knew they would be dead at any time.

But it's not how people work, and the original narrative of the hero losing it over presumably killing his lover was build on people not working that way, so even though those were lies, the show in fact still acknowledges that that's not how people work.

I'm not saying, I'd done differently, nor that those emotional wounds could not have healed over time, but there's something about the princess' and the hero's attitudes that strikes me as off, like sociopathic off, and it doesn't fit the image the show is trying to create of them.
- Mishima Hitomi
Dec 8, 2017 3:55 AM

Aug 2014
Laionidas said:
Mezo-RPWPA said:

But it's not how people work, and the original narrative of the hero losing it over presumably killing his lover was build on people not working that way, so even though those were lies, the show in fact still acknowledges that that's not how people work.

I'm not saying, I'd done differently, nor that those emotional wounds could not have healed over time, but there's something about the princess' and the hero's attitudes that strikes me as off, like sociopathic off, and it doesn't fit the image the show is trying to create of them.

not really, if you want them to feel sad or show how horrible things are then they are already doing that by acting like they don't know each other and that has been going on for a couple of years now, the show's main tone isn't a happy one so it's natural to show things in different perspectives and how their lives differs from 1 person to the other.

Dec 8, 2017 4:11 AM

Jan 2014
Mezo-RPWPA said:
not really, if you want them to feel sad or show how horrible things are then they are already doing that by acting like they don't know each other and that has been going on for a couple of years now, the show's main tone isn't a happy one so it's natural to show things in different perspectives and how their lives differs from 1 person to the other.

Eh,.. I feel like there's an extra moral layer that you're missing, but let's just agree that we're not gonna agree with eachother =P
- Mishima Hitomi
Dec 9, 2017 2:29 AM

Sep 2013
Oh my god! this episode was emotional!
Dec 30, 2017 12:44 PM

May 2012
Really loved that second part, even if most of it was based on lies, it had something more to it! Quite liked it to be honest.
Jan 6, 2018 7:51 AM

Apr 2011
I hope that motorrad will find a new owner in that kid.

The 2nd half was the best so far. Its bittersweet, but the best bittersweet story
so far. The important thing is they're finally together and happy. I wa a bit surprise he knew all along. They're all lying to each other. Heh. The country of lies indeed. It made me smile at the end.
Jan 8, 2018 3:55 AM

Sep 2012
when her pike said awry1 in this country is a liar with the i cant believe this voice i started to lol
Feb 2, 2018 6:40 PM
Jan 2018
Magito said:
I hope that motorrad will find a new owner in that kid.

The 2nd half was the best so far. Its bittersweet, but the best bittersweet story
so far. The important thing is they're finally together and happy. I wa a bit surprise he knew all along. They're all lying to each other. Heh. The country of lies indeed. It made me smile at the end.

I think the fact that even he knows everything, wants to mean that even living in lies, if the purpose is not to make anyone suffer, it's a good thing. While in the first part of the episode, they pointed out the opposite, that self-lying just to feel good may cause suffering to others around you
Feb 6, 2018 3:59 PM

Jun 2014
JFuji said:
Am I supposed to be like, wow I knew it all along everyone is lying! Is that supposed to be the enjoyment of this show? Quirky little things like this?

What a stupid fucking show lol. Dropped. Only stuck around thus far because this is supposed to be some top tier show. Snoozefest in reality.
This. Stupidest episode of the series so far, along with the scene of the little girl stabbing Shizu.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Apr 18, 2018 5:55 PM

Sep 2008
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
The second half was kind of stupid, not gonna lie. The "hero" knows everything is a lie but keeps it going anyway despite the fact that it'd be better for everyone involved if he just came clean.

yeah honestly, more like for the usual anime viewer who prefers emotional stuff over everything else. I prefer the first half, more symbolic and existential

EDIT:

Laionidas said:

Holy sh** dude, now I know why I liked the first segment so much, and why i used the word 'existential' in my post. That's what Hemingway is all about. That old motorrad not wanting to give up and riding on as long as he can, and that young boy with wanderlust who wants to go out in the world, that's Old Man and the fucking Sea right there.

And the rest of your posts about the second segment, completely agree. There was something very off-putting about the second segment, something about the logic and thematic sense of it, it was off. You can only sense it if you're not in it just for 'pure emotion' of it, which is unfortunately how most romance/drama anime are constructed. My two cents.
eyerokApr 18, 2018 6:08 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 18, 2018 11:42 PM

Jan 2014
@eyerok

It should've been no surprise that after almost half a year, the person that picks up on that Hemingway notion, is the person with a Joseph Conrad quote in their signature.

Anyway, I think this was actually the last Kino episode I watched. I more or less put it on indefinite hold due to time and travelling. It's still better to live like Kino, then just watch Kino (^.^)

Your reply makes me consider picking it up again though.
- Mishima Hitomi
Sep 22, 2018 1:03 AM

Dec 2012
My favorite scenario yet. It's strangely heartwarming how the two lovers lie to each other because they care that deeply for one another. They'll spend their lives knowing the truth, but living more contentedly in their lie.
Jan 1, 2019 9:35 AM

Sep 2008
Laionidas said:
@eyerok

It should've been no surprise that after almost half a year, the person that picks up on that Hemingway notion, is the person with a Joseph Conrad quote in their signature.

Anyway, I think this was actually the last Kino episode I watched. I more or less put it on indefinite hold due to time and travelling. It's still better to live like Kino, then just watch Kino (^.^)

Your reply makes me consider picking it up again though.

I've been slogging through this version. My overall score at Episode 10 is 6 out of 10. Two more episodes to go. I liked the 2003 adaptation much more.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 24, 2019 5:33 AM

Jan 2013
Wait, they actually allowed Hermes to go inside? - I would imagine it would be almost impossible to manoeuvre.
I hope the kid manages to eventually ride the motorcycle.

For the 2nd story, why would he not just tell the princess, they could just both keep the lie up and eventually make it so he would "give up" on finding his lover and live with the "traveler".
Clearly he was alright with knowing that she was a spy during their time together and clearly the girl still loves him.
That said, I couldn't imagine living like that, keeping the lie up about her coming back eventually. - I at least hope they'll start a relationship, if they haven't already.

Beautiful and depressing at the same time ...

Solid episode!
PrOxAntoJan 24, 2019 5:47 AM
May 18, 2019 8:58 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Who started the lie first? The villagers or the revolutionist?
Aug 7, 2019 5:09 AM

Apr 2009
Ah the poor motorrad...I hope the kid aspiring to be a traveller gets to talk to the motorrad and ride him/it in the future.

The country of liars gets their happy ending...well mostly for the lovers living their own version of their lies which isn't even necessary now, the burden of everything is on the "hero". Ah heck whatever, let them live out their lives with their lies.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 18, 2021 2:29 PM
Apr 2020
The lie portion was pretty stupid imo
Sep 17, 2021 4:29 AM

Aug 2017
The first story was pointless, no idea why they put 2 stories in the same episode. The second story was very bittersweet, that man is just pretending to be crazy, I like that twist.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 4, 2022 5:07 PM

Dec 2018
ok so i'm going to have to buy every volume of this because it's amazing
as was the 2003 one
Apr 22, 2022 10:27 PM

Jun 2015
Second half of episode: This is my favorite episode. The atmosphere took between pity and lies was very well used, we will rarely see this kind of confusion make sense and so clearly. It didn't surprise me at all to see a discussion forum about this episode. (I've comment too late, I think.....)

(My english is bad, sorry)
Aug 8, 2022 8:13 PM
Sep 2013
What a fuck episode, man, the characters' relationship is amazing, man what a fuck story.
It was sad to see the motorad alone in the first part, but I was happy when the kid became interested in being an adventurer.
In the second part, I was already sad for the hero of that country, she his beloved and for the maid, but what an incredible twist to know that the Hero is not expired and his beloved survived the accident, I just wonder why they didn't reveal everything soon , it's like fuck soon.

PT-BR

Que episódio foda, cara a relação dos personagens estão incríveis, cara que história foda.
Foi triste ver o motorad sozinho na primeira parte, mas fiquei feliz quando o garoto se interessou a ser um aventureiro.
Já na segunda parte tinha ficado triste pelo herói daquele país, ela sua amada e pela empregada, mas que incrível reviravolta em saber que o Herói não está caduco e a amada dele sobreviveu ao acidente, só fico em dúvida do motivo deles não revelarem logo tudo, é tipo transem logo.
Oct 8, 2022 11:01 AM
Oct 2022
A little confusing, plus the first half with the other motorrad felt out of place. Overall a nice episode, I loved the second half with the country of liars.
Aug 21, 2023 6:52 PM

Dec 2020
Didn't see that twist coming.
In the end this is a band aid solution basically pausing what they have now. They COULD tell each other though. I think that's fine as long as no one else knows.
Dec 7, 2023 2:30 PM
Aug 2022
god damn commies thinking the princess double resembles the farmer but then can't remember her as a maid.
that's how their brain workin lol.

is he bangin his maid?
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2017

137 by milou1050 »»
Apr 14, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

255 by the_v1gor »»
Apr 13, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

103 by XpldFrFantasyLnd »»
Apr 6, 11:51 AM

» video game....

Videogamecoper - Dec 14, 2023

3 by ralfisagreatguy »»
Apr 3, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

133 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Mar 11, 12:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.