Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 22, 2017 8:16 PM
Oct 2017
like 6 months ago, i re-watched the death note and i noted that light is a fucking edgelord, and even if i admit that he's clever sometimes he's really dumb a 40% of the time, like when he hacked his father's pc, and kills people that only the local police has knowledge and this makes that L stars to pay attetion to him; and he commmit more mistakes like in the series

my question is why do people love that much this edgelord?
Oct 22, 2017 8:20 PM

Mar 2017
I thought he was a great MC because of the contrast between his intentions and actions. One of the best evil protagonists I’ve seen

I wouldn’t say I loved him though. I wanted that guy to die so much.
Oct 22, 2017 8:22 PM

May 2016
It's almost like the intentionally-flawed character was flawed or something!

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Oct 22, 2017 8:23 PM

Mar 2015
it's relatable for them... you know, rebellious phase...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 22, 2017 8:24 PM

Oct 2013
mere mortals just can't understand the greatness that is the path of Godhood I guess
Oct 22, 2017 8:26 PM

Jan 2014
I'm like 1/3 of the way finished. Kind of forced myself to get this far... Don't really find it that great.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 22, 2017 8:36 PM

Oct 2014
That's how he's written. Believe it or not, but anyone who likes Light would most likely like him because of his flaws. After all, he is a very unique protagonist as he is not only an anti-hero but a downright villain and one who only really thinks from his own perspective. He's shown to not care about the emotions of others at all. This is just who he is and if you don't appreciate how awful of a person he is then you don't deserve to have him in your favourites list.

I'm more of an L fan myself.
Oct 22, 2017 8:43 PM
Oct 2017
zombie_pegasus said:
That's how he's written. Believe it or not, but anyone who likes Light would most likely like him because of his flaws. After all, he is a very unique protagonist as he is not only an anti-hero but a downright villain and one who only really thinks from his own perspective. He's shown to not care about the emotions of others at all. This is just who he is and if you don't appreciate how awful of a person he is then you don't deserve to have him in your favourites list.

i love all the death note concept, and without light it's can be this great; it's i just think he's a little edgy
Oct 22, 2017 8:46 PM

Sep 2014
finzaki said:
zombie_pegasus said:

i love all the death note concept, and without light it's can be this great; it's i just think he's a little edgy
Did you ever think that maybe he was supposed to be a little edgy? No person that's not edgy would proclaim to be the god of the new world, that's what makes him interesting and different.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Oct 22, 2017 9:00 PM

Oct 2015
Don't you think? He made multiple mistakes that is why he had problems being the god of the new world. That is even why we had the famous "All according to plan" scene. Without those mistakes, he would be another guy with a plot armor. He even had to make a do-over. Flawed doesn't equal bad. In fact, it's better that you're characters are flawed, than the white Knight in shining armor.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Oct 22, 2017 9:03 PM

Jul 2016
God complexes are a turnoff. L is best boy anyway.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2017 9:08 PM
Oct 2017
Gintokikachi said:
Don't you think? He made multiple mistakes that is why he had problems being the god of the new world. That is even why we had the famous "All according to plan" scene. Without those mistakes, he would be another guy with a plot armor. He even had to make a do-over. Flawed doesn't equal bad. In fact, it's better that you're characters are flawed, than the white Knight in shining armor.

dude, im not even saying he's a bad character, he's just not that great but like a person that you can to admire
Oct 22, 2017 9:38 PM

Oct 2015
finzaki said:
Gintokikachi said:

dude, im not even saying he's a bad character, he's just not that great but like a person that you can to admire
I'm not starting a debate, but why would you look up to a mass murderer who is a sociopath. Admire and great are two things that can overlaps. I see him great, because of the frequent choices he makes by that, the lack of emphaty, the same goes for L. They are 2 peas in a pod. I would say L is definitely better in terms of making moves, but Light is just so underhanded, and I love that.
-Lofn-Oct 22, 2017 9:44 PM

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Oct 22, 2017 9:57 PM
Apr 2014
Zelkiiro said:
That's impression I get. He meant well at first but turned into a megalomaniac.
Oct 22, 2017 10:07 PM

Mar 2013
Honestly, I think so too, but in another way. I just did not find him interesting as a person, but more as a fun character to be observed, really. I mean, his thought process and philosophy only extends to being a narcissistic psychopath, and in this way, he felt utterly 2 dimensional. As a protagonist, sure, he may seem groundbreaking, but as a villain, he is much too simple to be a human being with a differing rationale. He is just...insane, really.
Oct 23, 2017 1:01 AM

Sep 2017
Death note is one of the few anime where I see the live action better.

"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 23, 2017 1:05 AM
Sep 2017
I dropped Death Note after 9 episodes or so just because I hated his character so much. I understand he's SUPPOSED to be flawed, and that his popularity stems from his evilness, but when you're just spending every episode sinking lower and lower because you know this guy isn't going to die or anything like that anytime soon because the show has 37 episodes, it becomes a bit unbearable. He's a well made character in a brilliantly made show, but I can't stand the guy
Oct 23, 2017 1:09 AM

Nov 2016
Indeed. I couldn't give Death Note more than a 7 because of the second half and because of Light. I'm more of an L guy. Similar reasons as to why I hate Lelouch.
Oct 23, 2017 1:11 AM

Jan 2008
finzaki said:
like 6 months ago, i re-watched the death note and i noted that light is a fucking edgelord, and even if i admit that he's clever sometimes he's really dumb a 40% of the time, like when he hacked his father's pc, and kills people that only the local police has knowledge and this makes that L stars to pay attetion to him; and he commmit more mistakes like in the series

my question is why do people love that much this edgelord?

He did that because once L challenged him directly, he put his original goal on hold in order to achieve his new goal - to beat L. It seems stupid (and in the long run - it IS stupid) to narrow down the list of suspects like that, but this way he could bait L to come out - and he succeeded in doing that.

Also I love Light because he is a competent protagonist without being overpowered. In this age of useless doormat harem leads and flawless Kirito clones, that is pretty rare. He messes up, as you mentioned, but he makes really smart moves as well and they are all explained pretty well without them seeming too much of an ass-pull.
Oct 23, 2017 1:46 AM

Jan 2013
Zelkiiro said:
Literally this, we can close the thread now.

Light's relatively easy to provoke and he takes his showdown with L personally since like 2nd episode, forgetting about his initial goal and becoming less idealistic and more obsessive and psychopathic, it's a flaw in his character that you were supposed to notice the first time you were watching DN, not a big discovery you needed to re-watch the series for.
fuyukiOct 23, 2017 7:07 AM
Oct 23, 2017 4:53 AM

Apr 2017
Light was a nice character until that episode ,, y'know what I'm talking about

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 23, 2017 5:02 AM

Nov 2014
I liked L better.

As for Light being an edgelord, he was written to be flawed. Just seeing the number of edgelords floating around in life, I'm sure a significant amount of the populations would immediately become much more of an edgelord if they were ever granted the same (or heck even less) power than Light was.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Oct 23, 2017 5:32 AM
Aug 2016
Death Note isn't even that good itself. Oh and also: Light > L :^)
Oct 23, 2017 5:58 AM

Apr 2015
Because he's an edgelord. Literally. That's the main reason everyone likes him.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Oct 23, 2017 8:28 PM
Jul 2018
Of course he isn't. Light is just a weak character that has a Death Note IMO
Oct 23, 2017 8:30 PM

Feb 2015
Don't worry I'm just passing by... WHOOPS!

Oh I dropped something... Meh...

Light Yagami....

imagaY thgiL

imagaY

Imagay

IM A GAY
Oct 23, 2017 8:33 PM
Aug 2016
Well i think light was a grt character (i will be a little biased because death note was my first anime and light my first favorite protagonist)
His anti hero traits are the one that make him one of my favorite.
Anti hero>villians>hero for me

Death note ending was bad due to poor conclusion and it was a poor and forced finish
Oct 23, 2017 8:35 PM
Jul 2018
the entire show has flaws.
the amount of crime he was supposedly exposed to is beyond absurd.
and being a police officer doesn't magically give you access to every criminal in the world.
Oct 23, 2017 8:52 PM
Jun 2017
he has alway been an edgelord
but mind telling me where his mistakes are?
the only mistakes i seen are when he first kill a victim, which he did put some thought into, but not quite enough so L track his general location, second is when he compulsively kill the fake L, which mark the town he's in
in both cases, it's more like an accidental slips rather than fatal mistakes
Oct 24, 2017 9:46 AM
Jul 2018
Always preferred L to Light anyway…
and the supporting cast to Light
tend to do that with anime
“Oh, this is your MC? Well fuck me sideways, I prefer that guy that gets not much screentime!”
Show had a good premise and interesting atmosphere, in the very least even if Light was not my favorite lel
Oct 24, 2017 9:49 AM

Nov 2012
spuukiebuugi said:
“Oh, this is your MC? Well fuck me sideways, I prefer that guy that gets not much screentime!”
Show had a good premise and interesting atmosphere, in the very least even if Light was not my favorite lel

That's actually the default fan opinion actually it seems (57,000+ vs 38,000+ favorites)
Oct 24, 2017 9:52 AM
Jul 2018
SuperRed said:
spuukiebuugi said:

That's actually the default fan opinion actually it seems (57,000+ vs 38,000+ favorites)

Light is just kind of an edgelord. He’s not the worst MC but he’s overrated comp to the supporting cast and L. At least unlike Lelouch I can stand his existence, I goddamn hate Ledouche being #1 fan favorite. Although Izaya is the worst and most overrated anime character in existence, hands down, soooo
Oct 27, 2017 6:03 PM
Oct 2017
Long_Ng said:
he has alway been an edgelord
but mind telling me where his mistakes are?
the only mistakes i seen are when he first kill a victim, which he did put some thought into, but not quite enough so L track his general location, second is when he compulsively kill the fake L, which mark the town he's in
in both cases, it's more like an accidental slips rather than fatal mistakes

he made some more mistakes, when he hacks his father's PC(this is his worst) now you know that the murder is related with someone in the police, when he kills the fbi(or CIA, i don't remember) agent now you know the murder is someone investigeted by that team, and the schedule of the deaths now you know the murder is an student; with this 3 mistakes you don't need be a genius to know he was the killer, and no only one of this mistakes were part of "his plan"
finzakiOct 27, 2017 6:09 PM
Oct 27, 2017 6:13 PM
Jun 2017
finzaki said:

he made some more mistakes, when he hacks his father's PC(this is his worst) now you know that the murder is related with someone in the police, when he kills the fbi(or CIA, i don't remember) agent now you know the murder is someone investigeted by that team, and the schedule of the deaths now you know the murder is an student; with this 3 mistakes you don't need be a genius to know he was the killer, and no only one of this mistakes were part of "his plan"

I recommend you read, or watch the episode involve again, the day the FBI agents got kill is a day off, doesn't really imply that Kira is a students. When he hack his Dad computer, he made sure to not leave any evidence behind. And he had to kill the FBI agents, they're right behind his ass
Oct 27, 2017 6:16 PM

Dec 2012
In Death Note Light is the main character, but also the show's antagonist. It's only natural to want to want to see him taken down once you see how far he eventually falls into megalomania and compromises his own morals.
KruszerOct 27, 2017 6:25 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 27, 2017 6:20 PM

Jun 2017
I don't like light that much , I prefer the real edgelord "Lelouch" , pufff, Light's edginess is nothing compared to Lelouch's .

Oct 27, 2017 6:26 PM
Oct 2017
Long_Ng said:
finzaki said:

I recommend you read, or watch the episode involve again, the day the FBI agents got kill is a day off, doesn't really imply that Kira is a students. When he hack his Dad computer, he made sure to not leave any evidence behind. And he had to kill the FBI agents, they're right behind his ass

with the schedule of the deaths i was talking about the deaths before(the ones before the investigation) even L said it; and yeah he didn't leave evidece of curse, but he kills after with that information, that makes obvious he's related with someone in the police; he kills the fbi agent because it's "too close", after he search to get closer to L, that's fucking brillant; i know this flaws makes the story actually better, but my god he's an idiot
finzakiOct 27, 2017 6:32 PM
Oct 27, 2017 6:30 PM

Nov 2008
I can never get behind such a twisted protagonist so.............yeah, I agree. Not much of a Light fan. lol

Oct 27, 2017 9:31 PM

Mar 2016
Same..I also think he isn't that great and I hate him! the only great thing about him is his voice..
Forum set made by Sereshay

Oct 28, 2017 11:20 AM

Oct 2017
light is a criminal and a !@#$%^&%.im glad he died
i try to work for God+
Oct 28, 2017 11:23 AM

Jul 2015
He is not just great
He is the best mc ever created
Oct 28, 2017 11:46 AM
serendipity

Oct 2015
bc people think they're edgelord themselves so they want a show to relate to

✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁
i'll be a
bad girl who's
always good to her
boy
✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁
Nov 29, 2020 1:29 AM
Aug 2020
I finished Death Note two days ago, and I've been thinking about this a lot since.

More specifically, I've been trying to figure out how I feel about Light. Here's what I came up with:

While I think that sometimes the way he was written was a little over the top (edgelord, yes, I suppose), I think what was done with his character was done to show what could happen if something otherworldly and powerful fell into, not just the wrong hands, but any human hands. I keep asking myself, "What would I have done if I'd found the Death Note?" While the simple answer is that I'd probably be too afraid of cosmic karma to write anything in it, the more complicated answer is there's no guarantee I wouldn't have done - or tried to do - exactly what Light did.

For lack of a better phrase, I think Light's heart initially was in the right place. He wanted to punish people who had done and were doing bad things, and the Death Note was the perfect way to do that, in his eyes. What sweetened the deal was that, unlike you'd expect with something like it, there was no catch to using the notebook, as long as he didn't get caught by the people who were looking for him.

In my eyes, it was always a moral dilemma. Shinigami had the notebooks because they were supposed to have them; as gods of death, it was their responsibility to dole out death for the humans they saw fit to die. Even though they'd gotten lazy and bored in recent years, the decay of human morals hadn't escaped their notice (even Ryuk mentions it in the very first episode, echoing Light's thoughts about how the human world was rotten). But for a human to have access to the kind of power that a Shinigami wielded, well... that's another story entirely. Because Light wasn't a Shinigami, the way he used the Death Note was always going to be different from the way it was meant to be used, good intentions or not. The mistake that Light made, was thinking that having the power of a god actually made him a god. He thought he was invincible, infallible, unchallengeable. And for a while, he was... but reality caught up to him eventually and reminded him that he was, after all, only a human.

I thought I disliked Light. As the series progressed, I thought for sure I would end up hating him.

I didn't end up hating him.

Sure, he was arrogant, a little crazy, power hungry, and a bunch of other things. But he was also human, and (probably through his own faults) very lonely. I think the last scene in the last episode really drew attention to that. He died alone, still believing in his ideals, frustrated that his plans had been foiled and he hadn't been able to accomplish all he set out to do, angry that he had been outsmarted. The last thing he sees before he dies is L, and I don't believe that either one of them were lying when they said they viewed each other as the only friend each of them had ever had. Light admitted that being Kira just wasn't as enjoyable without L around; L was the only one who could keep up with the game of wits that Light was playing. I often wonder about that alternate universe where L and Light met each other long before Ryuk dropped that Death Note: would Light have been less bored with someone around who was just as smart (arguably smarter) than him? Would he have been less lonely?

I think that the way Light was written was exactly how he was supposed to be written. We aren't necessarily meant to like or empathize with him, and maybe we aren't even supposed to understand him. But as somebody else mentioned, he's a deeply flawed protagonist in the story of his own life... and really, aren't we all deeply flawed protagonists in the stories of our own lives?
Nov 29, 2020 4:43 AM
Jul 2018
No one really like light anyways. Why you think after L dies tons of people drop the show?
Nov 29, 2020 2:54 PM
Nov 2020
Why dont you talk about his plan when he added the 13 days rule and he rejected the note but he was so smart that he had evrything calculated before and as you know he became the owner of the note again
And when he hacked his father computer because he was curious how smart L was and he kept playing along with him if you paid attention like the messages(L did you know apple only shinigami...)
I think you should rewatch it again
Nov 29, 2020 3:28 PM
Nov 29, 2020 3:31 PM

Aug 2020
UHHHH yeah he's smart but not that good a character

L>Light
Dec 12, 2020 4:37 PM
Dec 2020
I do not like Light and I can not consider himself as a villain. He was more likely a hero in a form of villain. After all he did not get the punishment for killing people. He really is a dumb head if he thinks killing people is a solution as all people has both of the sides.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does Death Note deserve a remake? ( 1 2 )

Kenny_Stryker - Nov 2, 2017

55 by Absurdo_N »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 14, 2007

110 by misterskinny »»
Yesterday, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 7, 2007

132 by misterskinny »»
Yesterday, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Xinil - Feb 2, 2007

109 by misterskinny »»
Yesterday, 8:37 PM

» how many people have read or watch bl ( 1 2 )

meltrix2017 - Apr 21

68 by Absurdo_N »»
Apr 24, 12:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.